Old 04-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #8

Good morning all. It is going to be another hot one here and supposedly rain is moving in sometime today. I have to go out and run an errand at 11 am so I hope it holds off until after that. I made an appointment so hopefully won't have to wait long.

Dishes are put away and I have started a load of laundry. I swear I am going upstairs this morning and clean those bathrooms. I developed a vicious headache yesterday morning and gave up trying to get up there and do anything. I want to go up about 8 and get them done and get a shower and such to go out later.

Jean: I always do the Apple updates but not the Windows ones. I too am a bit on the slow side when it comes to the computer stuff. I can usually wade through something eventually, but technical stuff goes by me. That's what I have to do today is go to ATT for something. I could do it on the phone, but then I would probably get someone I can't understand and the ATT store is only 3 miles from here so I will go there instead. Hope everyone can meet for the birthday stuff. The kids will be here on Friday with Jay having business meetings with St Judes. I believe Thomas may be babysitting Friday evening. I may text him and find out what they are doing for dinner and if they don't have plans take the boys out for dinner.

I guess I should go and get some breakfast and put the laundry in the dryer. Have a good hump day everyone.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday of the week

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

My host bought me a new scale to weigh in. It is a good one and works great. I will start my new weigh card on the 2nd of next week in May. He also brought me a new 8 pack of diet Pepsi ~ what a nice guy and will surely get his payment in Heaven when he dies.

It rained the preferable cats and dogs so hard & loud on the roof that I couldn’t hear on my phone when someone called. The noise of the rain bothered Beanie for he was running to and fro in the MH. I couldn’t settle him down so he kept me awake for quite awhile. When I finally did get to sleep I slept a long while and when I woke up the storm had passed and the sun was shining brightly. All is wet outside so we got quite a gully washer. Beanie is asleep now in one of the padded chair up front in the MH. He is probably exhausted from his escapade of last night.

This is Wednesday so I will go to Bible class tonight and let my host drive me in my Mustang for his wife is at work this day.

DONNA FAYE Thanks for starting a new thread. I am glad you feel a lot better today it is a bummer you felt so badly yesterday.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:39 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon! It is a miserable windy day and has rained steady since I got up this morning. It was my morning to work in the gift shop. I had one customer -- me. I try to keep sympathy cards on hand and was down to a couple that I didn't like. I needed to fill the card rack and pull some of the selections that were down to just one card. We have a sale cart where I have a small box of marked down cards. I don't feel very ambitious now that I'm home. This weather makes a good book and a nap sound inviting. We have a dinner at the hospital tonight so that takes care of supper.

"Gma," I hate getting someone who doesn't speak very good English on the phone. I called the cable company in March to voice my gripe about our bill increase. They gave me a $15 decrease for one year. Yesterday the bill was $7.75 higher than the last bill. Every time I call them, I pitch a bi*ch about the channels we can't watch because we don't speak "that" language. The guy spoke very broken English but I got my point across and he said he could see my previous call on his computer. He is going to "fix" the glitch on our bill; we'll see if he does. We bundle the cable, phone, and Internet so I asked how much the cable alone would be. He tried to tell me that it would be higher than our bill is now! I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about, but I don't want to go through the hassle of switching either. Frustrating! I'm so sick of tv political ads and phone calls! I'm all for a "none of the above" ballot choice but then the hoopla would start all over again.

Maggie, I can imagine how noisy it is for you when it is windy and/or raining hard. Poor Beanie! I'm sure he is feeling unsettled with Will being gone, and senses your feelings too. I know you will enjoy your Bible class tonight.

I have a few things I don't put in the dishwasher so need to wash them and clear off the counter. If you are having warm sunshine, please send some my way! Enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 04-27-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. We thought we were going to get plowed with rain yesterday, but it passed us by except Jack said they got a few sprinkles out at the plant. I know it got really dark here and they about half an hour later was just cloudy again. We are still expecting rain though and the temps in the 80's now pretty regular. The postponed the game last night so I don't know if it was because of rain or what, but they postponed it a good hour before it was even going to start so they must have had bad weather all day. I know it was freezing cold there.

Got the bathrooms cleaned so no one from the health department with quarantine me..... It didn't take long at all, but I took a shower afterwards and slipped on the tub matt because I didn't have it suctioned down after cleaning and whacked my leg pretty good. I have a lump and a bruise and it is sore as the devil this morning. Today is clean the downstairs except for sweeping, vacuuming and mopping. I will do that tomorrow.

I got my errand ran yesterday and they were johnny on the spot to help me and it took like two minutes. I treated myself to lunch from Chick-fil-a, which is across the street then came home for the rest of the day. We went out last night and got in a major traffic jam because of an accident. From what it looked like, one care ran a red light and got t-boned by a huge SUV. They both had to be going fast as even the huge SUV had the whole front end smashed in. The traffic was so snarled it had the side street blocked up for probably a mile or so. Took us a good half an hour to get past it. Luckily, we didn't have an appointment, but it was the beginning of rush hour so a real mess.

Maggie: Dogs are so sensitive to change of any kind and Fortune hated thunderstorms and would shake like the dickens. I would just hold him, even if it was overnight until it passed. He didn't like when the fireworks would go off either.

Jean: Hope your dinner last night was nice. I think I would find restocking cards irritating. I hate "busy" work. We used to have a bundle, but they dropped it quite awhile ago. I think when we canceled our landline. ATT owns Direct tv now though and it drives me nuts to pay my bill online because I log into Direct tv and they take me to ATT and make me log in there too. We have our cell phones, ipads, Uverse, and now Direct tv all with ATT. Like you, too much hassle to change anything and we don't have trouble with anything much. I hate the outsourcing to countries where the accents are so thick you can't understand them.

You all have a nice day. Breakfast for me then start the cleaning I guess.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday ~ Almost Noon

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I sure don’t know how spiders found a way into this MH but they found a way. I killed one in the shower this morning and another that was crawling out of the bathroom. They aren’t black widows for goodness sake but still spiders and I don’t like them being inside here. I don’t want them building a nest and laying eggs in here either. I will just have to kill them when I see then I guess because there are places where they can surely hide in here. Just another thing to contend to living out here in the beautiful country here the coyotes sing.

DONNA FAYE Glad you got safely out of that traffic jam. Wh[b]at a pain to have to take so long to get through it though.

JEAN Beanie just does not like hearing it hit the ceiling outside. He would rather it hail and chase it trying to catch it. He is such a good dog and finally settled down for a good sleep.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's cloudy, windy, 41 degrees feeling like 34, and a few rain sprinkles from time to time. I think Mr. Sun must be on an extended vacation from my corner of the world. I went to get my nails filled this morning, then made a quick trip to the grocery store. Four bags and $52 "poorer" I headed home. Both soccer games were postponed for tonight. Maddy's vocal concert is at 6 so we will still go to that.

"Gma," glad you now have squeaky clean bathrooms! Sorry about your leg, know that it hurts because I have done it too. Our hospital dinner was short and sweet last night! We had chicken breast, green beans, and cut up potatoes in orange, white, and purple colors. Usually they clear the tables after the main meal then serve dessert. Last night they had red velvet cupcakes already on the tables and didn't clear the tables while the speaker was speaking. She didn't talk long; the fund raiser was for special geriatric beds so she couldn't bring one to show us. They are in a psychiatric ward and she extended an invitation to anyone who would like to learn more about the facility to come and visit. Bob's mom was there to get off narcotic pain pills, so we have been there. We sell mostly birthday and sympathy cards in the gift shop. The company put in a line of 99 cent cards, but I have to buy a dozen, where I can order a half dozen of the more expensive cards. Those are $1.50 and $2.75 which I don't consider expensive compared to some of the Hallmark cards. I like to send cards so enjoy working with them.

Maggie, we have more than our share of spiders. We were told, when we first moved here, it was because of the lake. I get them in the laundry tub and delight in sending them down the drain. Have you ever heard of, or seen, a thunder shirt for dogs? I've seen them on pet site ads but don't know if they work. It is supposed to help dogs who get agitated when weather is changing or a storm is happening.

I need to decide what I am wearing to the concert and fold some laundry. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. We are expecting a lot of rain today and all weekend but it is still nice and warm. We have to go out after Jack gets home and take back a cord for my Ipad as it isn't the right one and get a new one. I imagine we will just get a bite to eat before we come home.

Jack needs to get a haircut tomorrow, we need to get stuff at Walmart and on Sunday go out to the commissary for a few groceries until next week. I got a call yesterday from Jay and Jackson isn't coming with them so no grandson this weekend. I haven't seen him in quite awhile now but hopefully we can see him in Sept when we plan to go up there.

I finish up the house today with vacuuming and mopping. I love the vacuum I have. It is one of those stick models and I can do both carpet and other floors without using a broom. It is so much easier for me. I use a Swiffer style mop so no old style wringing out mops and such too.

Maggie: We have brown recluse here you have to be careful of and Jack hates all spiders so I am the spider killer in the family. We have roaches which are nastier I think. It is very common for the area, but also you can't control the people who live on both sides of you in a condo. I spray for them and keep them to a bare minimum. Seems like weather has a lot to do with how bad they are. They seem to be getting bad this year. We will soon have to deal with cicadas too. They are harmless, but ugly things and they have a short life span and plunk down everywhere on the deck. Everytime I think of them I think of John the Baptist eating them when he was out in the wilderness as they and locusts are pretty much the same thing.

Jean: I had a Thunder shirt for Fortune and it worked ok. I got rid of everything of his or I would have offered it to Maggie for Beanie. It is kind of the same principle that is used for swaddling babies to make them calm. I am not a big card sender. I hate having to make a trip to the post office. I wouldn't dare stick them out to be picked up from the house as you never know if someone would walk along here and steal them. I usually do the ecards except for the boys. Their birthdays are in another month now that I think of it. Both of them were born in June. I can't believe Thomas will be 16. I love this commercial on tv for Acura or some car company where the dad asks the young son who is in one of those toy electric cars if he wants to drive the big car. The little boy thinks of all the things he would have to do in it, like getting a parking ticket, buying groceries and the bag rips, getting stuck in traffic and such. I can always picture Thomas as a little boy in that commercial and loved it. Now, I kind of shed a few tears because the boy is old enough to actually drive a big car. Jackson is going to be 9 and I can't believe how he has grown too.

Well girls, I need to go. Everyone have a great weekend.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:45 PM   #8  

Good Evening! It's been another cold, gloomy day in my neighborhood but no rain today. I went down to the basement last night and found water coming in where we rarely get water. Bob thinks it happened because the wind was so strong coming from the lake side and we have rain spouts on that corner of the house nearer the building than the others. I have a smaller wet vac but couldn't get the hose to stay in so had to wait for Bob to get home. It was dry this morning. Our vet is retiring and having an open house tomorrow. I picked up a card for him this morning, and want to pick up a DQ gift card tomorrow. I had to do the end of the week paperwork for the gift shop so brought the money home; I have that ready to deposit on Monday. We are church counting on Tuesday because I have a breakfast meeting Monday. The church computer mess is still a mess. The program I use was removed and the data lost. The tech said they offered a backup service for a monthly fee and "someone" declined it. The so-called backup used wasn't working and no one knew it. I have paper copies of everything I do, but someone is going to have to re-enter the information. We are talking at least five or more years worth. I hope I'm not the one who has to do that.

"Gma," that is too bad Jackson won't be coming with Jay. I know you were looking forward to spending time with him. Grandchildren seem to grow up so much fast than our own kids did. We have had our IDIOT mail carrier for the last few days. When our regular guy came back after his heart attack, he told me he didn't know how long he would be able to handle working and may have to take early retirement. We could almost set a clock by him, he was so good. The IDIOT is as dependable as the weather, some days he is here around 2:30 and other days 6:00. If I want something to leave town that day, one of us takes it to the post office. I have called and complained but it doesn't do any good. Ian will get his driver's permit in November but is taking driver's ed. this summer. They live 9 miles from school so, of course, he wants a car asap. It's a two lane highway but a busy one.

I am heading off to bed. Hope you all enjoy a nice day tomorrow!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! Rain and 53 degrees. Its been raining for 3 days now. My roses are blooming. I brought some inside to enjoy.

Glory Bee was Thursday and Norah was the hostess and gave us all lavender plants to take home. I have the perfect spot for it by my front door. It should do well for lavender likes full sun 6+ hours a day and little water. The front of my house faces west so plenty of sun and I always forget to water stuff so ...

Monday Glory, Norah and I are going to take a road trip up to 2 B's quilt shop and we'll have lunch in Glouster.

Donna, we have a lot of traffic jams here. People don't know how to drive in good weather so bad weather is a disaster. I'm sorry Jackson isn't coming.

Jean, what woes with the church database! Someone there needs to know how to check the backup every day to be sure it ran without errors. Our mail comes anytime between 10 am and 7 pm. It's a mess!

Maggie, poor Beanie! Casper can hear, but the rain on my 3 skylights sounds like machine gun fire. He is fasinated to see lightening. I'm glad you have good friends there to help you.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! Another day of wind, 43 degrees, and pouring rain. The park, on my way into town, is almost completely under water. We are supposed to have rain yet tomorrow. The sun has to come out sooner or later . . . . looks like it will be later. I've been doing laundry and vacuumed the fur bunnies. Our vet is retiring after 55 years so we are going to his open house this afternoon. I hope the rain will let up so we can run in and out.

Susan, I'm just thankful I'm not responsible for the computer mess at church. The former office manager is supposed to be the whiz so I don't know why she didn't know the back up wasn't working. Does a lavender plant smell like lilac or lavender? I bought some lavender oil thinking it would smell sweet. I think it stinks. I know they really promote it so maybe I will get used to it. Have fun on Monday!

I'm off to change clothes and go to the open house. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 04-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #11  

Good afternoon ladies. It poured rain all morning, but stopped a couple hours ago. We were out at the mall and it was still raining when we went in, but not when we came out.

Penneys had a big sale and I bought all new bedding as we bought a new bed today. I have slept in a chair since 2005 and we have a Sleep Number credit card we have never used and I got an email they were having a big sale so we up and bought a sleep number bed with an adjustable head so I can go back to sleeping in bed. I sure hope it works! I don't foresee any problems as the only reason I can't sleep in bed is my back. I slide down the wall and it puts pressure on my back. I figure since I could sleep in a hospital bed, I can sleep in this and I won't have to be careful of all that stuff they hook you up to!

Tomorrow is commissary day, Friday we have an appointment and Saturday they deliver the bed then Sunday will be two week commissary day again. I skipped last week's shopping.

Jean: I hope you don't get stuck doing input either. It is awful. I used to have to do that for some of the secretaries when I worked the last place I ever worked and I hated it. It was so boring. Hope you had a nice time at the open house. The kids are down at the festival wading around in mud I am sure.

Susan: We have a big tree on the deck so it stays partially shaded. All our sun is the front of the condo. I quit using drapes and it would screw them up. I just went to plain white mini blinds. What a nice gift to get. How are you doing this spring with your asthma and such. I didn't notice as much pollen as in years past maybe because of the on and off cool weather. Who knows as I know nothing about gardening.

You all have a nice weekend.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #12  

Good early morning everyone! I fell asleep early and Jack just let me sleep so I am up and at 'em already and have been since 1 AM. I decided to read a bit and then remembered what I hadn't put on my grocery list so sat here to do that and thought I might as well post. I am hoping the rain has now moved on and we have some sunny skies. We have moved into summer temps though so I can wear capris and sandals all the time.

We have commissary duty this morning and going to watch a ballgame this afternoon. I am making spaghetti for dinner I think.

I bought a new handbag yesterday at Penneys for 50% off. I told Jack it could be my mother's day gift! I is gray snake skin and I don't have one of those.

I got all the new bedding washed for the bed to be delivered next week. I bought a whole set except for sheets and it comes with 4 decorative pillows, which Jack always hates. It also has 4 big shams for pillows. He told me if I die first, the pillows go straight to the trash! We have two shammed pillows, a small square one, and a roll pillow with my set now. He absolutely hates them.

We booked our cruise for next year. Well, we did that awhile ago, but we are going to go on a cruise next year. We booked on the new ship that comes out this month. It is the biggest cruise ship in the world and Jack is all excited about the slides. They have water slides and a 110 foot dry slide. I hope he has fun as I can't climb all those stairs for a couple seconds ride to the bottom. I will enjoy the pool. We are going to go Sept 2017. Boy, I see that and can't believe we are moving along so fast. When did we get to be old?

You gals have a nice Sunday and hope your weather is nicer than it has been.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #13  

Happy Sunday! More rain, cold, and just a breeze in my neighborhood today. This weather is beyond ridiculous! I keep turning the thermostat up hoping to get rid of the damp cold feeling in the house. Sonny is warming his paws over the register so he is cold too. Our district superintendent had the sermon at church this morning because the pastor's daughter graduated from college and got married this weekend. The substitute talked about his daughter being a missionary in Africa and then rolled over to how great our local diversity is. Usually a guest speaker is short and sweet but not this one. I need to sort through a pile of magazines and catalogs then clear off the island. I have a breakfast meeting in the morning so need to decide what I'm wearing and probably iron whatever it is.

"Gma," I never know if the time on your posts are your time or my time, but either way . . . . ! I hope you like your new bed. I have a "ratty" blanket I keep on top of my bed. From time to time Ernie will sleep there and always in the same spot. I had to laugh at Jack not liking decorative pillows. Bob thinks they belong on the floor so I gave up on them. Where are you going to cruise to next year? The anticipation in planning a trip, that you both enjoy, is fun. A dry slide sounds like one would get stuck somewhere along the way. That's a long slide!

Bob is opening cupboard doors looking for food. I guess that is my clue it is past lunch time. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #14  

Good morning all. I may need a nap later today as I didn't go to sleep until after midnight. All the rain here is giving my knee fits and it hurt all evening long. I finally took something to help me sleep just so I could go to sleep.

I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, took my meds, had breakfast then went out and swept up little sticks and leaves blown from other people's yards into ours. We have had a couple of really windy days. I am going to re vacuum in just a little bit from stuff that got dragged into the carpet from outside then I think I am done for today. I was going to vacuum upstairs, but since they are bringing the new bed on Saturday and I want to take up the mattresses and Jack wants to fold up the old base and put it into the garage on the cross beams. I want to vacuum the area before the put in the new bed. We found out that we can't exchange the base but that it will work on any mattress. So, if we choose not to buy another Sleep Number down the road I can still have an elevated mattress no matter what we buy.

It is really dark and cloudy and I felt a few sprinkles while I was sweeping. I guess the kids head home today. I never heard from them all weekend, but that's what he said when he canceled on us about Jackson. They may get rain all the way home.

Jean: We are going back to the Western Caribbean. That means Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico. We are only doing a resort in Jamaica as a port of call next year. We just like everything there is to do on the ship so we don't mind not going anywhere else. Yes, that is what I thought too is what if someone gets stuck part way down? I know when we were a kid we used to take waxed paper and rub it down the slide to make it slippery. Maybe they have giant waxed paper? They have the Broadway show "Grease" on the ship next year so that will be fun to see. Since it is a new ship we will get new shows and such too. I just wish I didn't have such a bum knee as I like to go to the evening music when they have big band and 60's music nights.

I guess I better go and get some more work done. Have a great start to the week.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! It was 38 degrees early this morning but the sun came out of hiding for most of the day! No rain in sight for a few days. I went to the breakfast meeting and got home at noon. We had a delicious breakfast casserole, fruit, and fruit turnovers. Bob was mowing and said he wasn't hungry for lunch so I left again to run some errands. I've done a couple loads of laundry and vacuumed the never ending fur.

"Gma," seeing Grease would be so fun! That's one of the movies we see on tv from time to time. Pretty Woman is another favorite of mine. Bob likes Paint Your Wagon; we saw that in cinerama when we lived in Minneapolis. I like to watch travel shows where they how all the fancy food, ice sculptures, etc., on the cruise ships. I hope your knee is feeling better.

Bob is at practice so I need to get something started for supper. He took meat out of the freezer to grill tonight, and I'm thinking a lettuce salad with veggies for a start so better get moving. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening?

Last edited by Jean; 05-02-2016 at 05:42 PM.