Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #7

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am one happy camper. I lost 7.7 pounds this week to bring my total loss to a whopping 111.4. I am so happy that this drink I do twice a day and eat one meal is working for me. All my clothes are getting loose and right now I can’t buy anything for I haven’t gotten that promised bank statement yet and I don’t want to say anything to these wonderful people here for I don’t want them to start buying me clothes also for they do so much for me now for they are true friends.

For awhile it was raining very hard and giving the area a nice watering. All the grass around here is so green it looks like Spring has Sprung already. It is still outside and last night the wind was blowing so hard and the thunder crashing I knew a storm was coming this way for sure. When it rains so hard it is hard to hear on my phone when someone calls so I have to tell them I have to call them back when it is quieter.

DONNA We aren’t leaving until this coming Saturday the 16th and plan to come back on Monday the 18th. They are having a pot luck on Sunday right after morning services then having the service to honor Will at 2 o’clock. The public (all his friends there) are welcome to that event I am told.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-11-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #2  

Happy Monday! We have sunshine again today! A breeze is blowing so the 46 degrees feels cold outside! This morning I went to the bank we have gone to for 40 years and got information on how to go online to check my debit card. There have been "gizmos" at Sioux City gas stations that read the credit/debit cards when inserted in the gas pumps, then money taken from the accounts. I won't bank online but at least will know when I used the card it is me and not someone else. We are counting church money on Wednesday this week but I made a stop at the hospital to drop off a check. We had a nice time at the anniversary party. It was typical small town, the couple has lots of relatives and friends there so lots of people. The groom, Bob, and two other guys shared war memories for an hour after the official end of the party time. We went out to eat afterwards, and then our friend treated us to the famous Blue Bunny ice cream cones. They have a gift shop along with the ice cream shop so think I will talk Bob into stopping sometime on our way to Sioux Falls. I'd like to get the kids t shirts with the bunny. We got our bank statements today and I was able to close my account so am finished with the incompetent bank!

"Gma," I had to laugh at Jack taking the garbage out in his undies. When we lived in our other house, our garage was detached and a single driveway. Bob's car was always parked in the driveway. A family lived across the street and had four older, mentally challenged sons. One son, Mike, would come over to visit if Bob would be working in the yard or the garage. He would always ask, "what are you doing, Bob?" Bob would answer and then Mike would ask the same question again. One night Bob forgot to take the keys out of his car and remembered on his way to bed. It was summertime and dark so he ran out in his bright white undies . . . out of the darkness came "what are you doing, Bob?" We still laugh about that! Glad you are feeling better.

Maggie, on the great loss! Drinking a meal would certainly solve the what to fix challenge. Do you still have a lot of your things in Kansas? Who will dogsit or does he get to go too?

Bob is at practice but will be home shortly. I'm thinking pizza sounds good for supper. Hope you've had a good day and enjoy the evening.

Last edited by Jean; 04-11-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

JEAN The gal here said I could leave him here and she would watch over him. Their dogs know him and no harm will come to him I am sure. She will take good care of him for he likes her very as much as she likes him.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-11-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. Going to only get into low 60's by this afternoon but it will be partly sunny so that's ok.

I have to vacuum and mop early then get a shower and get back downstairs this morning. My best friend is going to call this morning and I don't want to be out of reach when she does. I have that hair appointment today and Tom is going to be coming over when he gets off work to discuss something with us so the day is going to be nuts for me.

I didn't finish downstairs yesterday as it was raining all day and I couldn't see mopping and having to do it all over again after Jack tracked in when he got home. I ended up having to mop anyway as Jack spilled a whole bottle of the flavored coffee creamer in the fridge. It was a horrible mess. I had to take everything out of the fridge in the bottom and wash it, veggie drawers, the glass shelving, all of the food packaging, everything. Everything was sticky including the countertops and floor. I wanted to strangle him as it was his fault for not shutting the bottle tightly in the first place the last time he had used it. when he pulled out the tea pitcher it fell over onto the shelf and poured out everywhere. That stuff is like glue, I swear. I got it all cleaned up and we ate a partially cold dinner as dinner was ready when he dumped the stuff and it had to be put on hold.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss.

Jean: I wear nightshirts and have taken trash to the corner a couple times or gone to get mail and gotten caught by someone. I figure I am more covered up than most people nowadays and nothing was showing. I got a giggle out of Bob getting caught out. I am an online banking gal for sure. We have a couple things that are auto paid, but for the most part I don't like that as I don't trust they won't double bill or whatever. I do however pay almost all of our bills online. I noticed the governing body over the postal system is forcing them to reduce stamps back to 47 cents. The article said they are going to be something like $2 billion short and work in the red every year. They are going to have to privatize it sooner or later and when they do the costs are going to skyrocket to mail stuff.

Everybody have a good day. I have to get the day going.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! The thermometer says it is 55 degrees outside but the wind is blowing as always. The sun is shining and I'm hoping the wind will calm down by soccer game time. I had my nails done first thing this morning and then went to the Hallmark store for April and May cards. I couldn't believe how much their cards have gone up! I wonder how the cards with beads, sequins, and bows survive the mail. I refuse to spend $6.99 for a card that used to sell for $.35! We got a phone call last night inviting us to Bob's aunt's 99th birthday party in May. She is more spry than I am and a delightful lady! Beth and Jason both plan to go with us plus their families. I doubt either of Bob's brothers will come back, but we never know about them.

Maggie, I'm glad you have a nice dog sitter!

"Gma," I just found a "mess" on a refrigerator shelf this noon! We couldn't figure what leaked but it wiped up easily except the very edge where the plastic framework is across the back. I will have to take it out and soak it. I need to clean all the shelves and drawers. We have all of our utility bills auto paid; we did that several years ago when a whole section of town didn't get water bills and got letters threatening to turn the water off. Of course the water people blamed the post office and the post office said they never got the bills to deliver. I just don't trust technology enough to protect my hard earned money. I know someday we will have to go paperless but people in our local bank don't bank online either so I'm not the only one. I saw where stamps are going down two cents too, they will probably go up ten next month!

I need to change clothes and figure out what to wear to keep warm. I can only get so many layers under my jacket. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. Going to be beautiful here today. It was lovely yesterday but a bit on the cool side for me.

I had a hair appointment in the afternoon. I never go in the afternoon as I don't want to have to wait if she is backed up a long time, but no one was there. It was quiet except for their crazy music. She changed my color somewhat and is in love with it. I am not sure. She lightened the ends a lot using pink then put a copper toner on it. It isn't weird, just lighter than I think I like. I really like the strong copper color, but I may grow to like this wearing it a bit.

Tom came early yesterday and had my grandson with him. OMG, ladies, he has grown about another 3 inches since we saw him in February. He is taller than his dad now and as tall as his granddad, who is 6'2." I came up to just below his collarbone and I am 5'7." He is such a sweety. I told him we needed to do lunch or something and he said just to text him when we wanted to go. Most teenagers, especially boys don't want to spend time in public with their dodgy old grandparents, but he actually enjoys it.

Jack just left for work and I am going to get upstairs and put away clothes and clean bathrooms today I think. If my laziness changes my mind I am going to knit and read. I am reading this silly little series of books about a private investigator who has learned she is a witch. Very light reading and fun.

Saturday we are cleaning out the rest of the garage and I am making Jack move the bbq grill onto the deck so we can use it. He bought the expensive thing last year including a cover for it and now doesn't want to put it outside.

Jean: I didn't even wear a jacket at all yesterday and wore capris, t-shirt and sandals. I opened the windows instead of the ac in the car and it was really nice. Hopefully, it will warm up there soon for spring. We are supposed to be in the 80's next week. I always get a kick out of extremely elderly people who still have spunk. They have such great stories to tell. I was talking to my stylist yesterday and she said I should write down all the stories about my childhood living in our little town for our grandsons to have and pass on. I told her some of the things and she said she thought they were neat so maybe I will.

Everyone have a great day today.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind has calmed down to a strong breeze, and it's 72 degrees this afternoon. It took a while for me to balance my part this morning, no mistakes just several different "pots" to divide the money into. It was auto bank contribution time which always slows me down. I had lunch bunch this noon. There was only three of us, but we don't see each other in between lunch times so always have things to talk about. We sat for two hours in 25 mph winds at the soccer games last night. One game we faced the wind and the other had the wind at our backs. I dressed for it but by the time the last game was about over my legs were getting cold. Both kids won their games and played well.

"Gma," Ian just went for his baseball physical and he is 6', 160#s. I hope he doesn't grow much more although Amanda's dad and brother are both 6'6". Grandkids grow up too fast! I think reading and knitting sound like more fun than cleaning! I just read an article about an older (than I!) lady who wrote a cookbook from her mother's notes written on scratch paper and some newspaper clippings. Years ago there used to be radio programs which included recipes, friends' recipes, etc. She included dates and notes that her mom wrote on the recipes. I think you writing your childhood memories would be a good idea!

I need to get busy and vacuum fur bunnies. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 04-13-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:10 AM   #8  

Good morning all. I hear the birds chirping outside this morning and wonder if we are expecting more rain.

Nothing much going on in my part of the world. We have a serial rapist here they can't catch and don't have any evidence who it might be even. They have no dna off of any of the women and no description either. Scary stuff as he targets apartments and breaks in through a window or door, holds them at gun point, rapes and robs them. This has been going on since 2014 and they are just now thinking it is a serial thing as the MO as they say all are the same. One happened not more than a mile from here in a very nice apartment complex.

Jean: We have experienced those windy games in the past when we used to go to my nephew's high school football games. I saw on tv last night that it was really cold in Chicago for the Cubs game. One of my friends said the fans looked more like they were at a football game all bundled up. Always a nice feeling when the money always comes together right. It is always nice to catch up with friends. I just talked to my bff on Tuesday. We try and talk every other week or so. I so infrequently get to see her as she lives in Indiana.

Everyone have a great Thursday.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #9  

Good Evening! It was a beautiful, warmer day in my corner of the world today! The wind still blew but not as hard. I fixed a roast for dinner this noon and my house still "smells" like it even with the deck doors open. I went to crafty club this afternoon. We mostly discussed taking meals to our friend's family even though she is failing fast. I have no clue what to make at this point but have a week to decide. I thought we would make a whole meal as a group but others thought we should take a complete noon or evening meal on our own. Not looking forward to delivering it! I am home tomorrow all day!

"Gma," do your birds only chirp when it's going to rain? It's been so cold in the mornings I haven't really paid attention to the birds chirping. Any kind of rapist is scary! When we were at the soccer game, Will got an alert on his cell phone saying a guy offered a girl a hundred dollar bill to get in his van. It happened not too far from their house which is within a few blocks of the kids' schools. There are some sick people out there! I have a good friend and we talk at least once a week, usually for at least an hour.

I need to unload the dishwasher and then sew a button on Bob's shirt. Hope you enjoy the evening!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Good Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I turned off my computer yesterday when I was finished with it and when I turned it back on the screen was blank and wouldn’t come back on. I don’t know what happened to it at all but I turned it on a little while ago and it came back on again. When mine was blank I used one of Will’s computers and he of course didn’t have the things that I have on mine but I did download the 3fc on it and was able to read it. I find he had a complete different pattern of using the computer then I do. It is a much bigger laptop than mine and does have an internal place to place CD’s where I have one that plugs in to mine and works with it so I can watch movies on my computer if I choose to do so. I hesitate to turn off my computer now.

My host is gone for a couple of hours so that leaves sleeping Beanie and me here alone which is fine in the day time. At night it is comforting to know he is in the house. His wife will be home tomorrow evening.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's hazy with 75 degrees (nice!) and 25 mph winds (not so nice!). I made a WM run this morning and have been doing laundry. Bob is out "somewhere" helping to set up a planter with his farmer friend. My craft club friend died last night. The funeral is Tuesday. I was supposed to train a new gal in the gift shop but we will be going to the funeral instead.

Maggie, I hate it when the technology stuff doesn't work right! I have zero knowledge and less patience; Bob is even worse. We both know just enough the be dangerous! Are you packed and ready for your trip to Kansas?

"Gma" and Susan, what are you up to today?

We are leaving early tomorrow morning for Zowie's soccer game in Sioux Falls. Just found out that Ian is out for track and ran in a race yesterday. We both think track meets are as much fun as watching paint dry. Hope you all are having a good day!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Rainey Day

GOOD Late Evening MAGNOLIAS

Good evening Magnolias. We have arrived in Hays now and I am a bit tired and am going to bed and will post again tomorrow.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-16-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #13  

Afternoon gals. Been real busy the last couple days and just couldn't get in here until now. Our weather here is beautiful and poor Jack just got called out to the plant so I hope it is something he can fix quickly and won't have to be out there after dark. I hate for him to be alone out there after dark working.

I did a load of laundry and put stuff away and have been reading today. I have got to get upstairs tomorrow and get bathrooms cleaned and I have a pile of clothing to put away.

Jean: Some of the things that happen in this town are so evil it scares me. We have had two or three situations with children even one baby who have been hurt and or killed by someone, mainly a parent or boyfriend. Makes me sick to think of people hurting children. I wish they would use the Bible's way of justice. It wouldn't take long to straighten this old world up if they got the punishment that fit the crime. Was the lady who died the one you mentioned on FB with cancer? I am so very sorry. It is so hard to lose someone you care about and have known for a long time.

Maggie: I hope you don't have anymore trouble with your computer. We have a full sized pc, Jack has a nice laptop, an Ipad, an Iphone and I have an Ipad and an Iphone so we can pretty much keep on top of things if one causes us trouble. Hope you and Beanie are doing well.

You gals have a nice evening. I am going to finish up a book I am reading in a series. They are kind of silly but an easy read.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #14  

Good Evening! It was a nice day in my neighborhood today. Sunshine off and on, NO wind, and 70 degrees this afternoon. Bob sang at church this morning, the sermon was either longer than usual or the children's sermon was longer, but we ran over the hour which is unusual. I've been doing laundry and dusting as the sun moved around so I could see what really needed attention. Yesterday was a long day going to the soccer game. Zowie's team won so that was good. We went out of our way coming home to look at a fishing boat.

Maggie, I hope you had a nice day today. Wishing you a safe trip back to Texas.

"Gma," yes, my crafty club friend is the one who died. She did so well with her eye surgery last fall. What I don't understand is that the tumor was confined; all the scans and blood work came back clear afterwards. Just before Easter she found out the cancer had spread to her liver. Her daughters live in California and her son is in Louisiana, I think. They were all home with her which I think is so nice. She and her husband farmed, and have been Bob's customers for almost 35 years. I've only known Jo Ann since I've been in crafty club, but she was such a delightful person and always with a big smile. She was on Caring Bridge; judging from the number of posts from her church family she had a deep faith. I will get an update on my other friend tomorrow night at card club. I think anyone who causes bodily injury or death should receive the same. An illegal, driving drunk, rammed the back end of a car killing the young girl who had graduated from college the day before. They held him in jail 24 hours, he posted $500 bail, and now can't be found. Surprise, surprise.

The dishwasher is finished so need to unload it and also the washer and dryer. They had a busy day! Enjoy the rest of the evening and have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #15  

Good morning to you all. I have been working on my budget for June through December for the last 3 hours. It takes a lot of time as I use an Excel program and set the things we have to pay up according to Jack's paydays, his retirement and his social security. I slot the stuff due into whatever income meets it the closest. Everything is color coded too so it takes awhile to do it all. I have things that are only due quarterly like my Tricare payment and my life insurance. The best way for me is to write it all down in a column on lined paper with the date it is due, then make columns for each month. I then slot them into my Excel program and cross off that payment in the month column and so on. Takes time but since I get very few paper bills anymore, I have to be on top of things so they don't go late.

I have to get up from here and fold laundry then get upstairs and get those bathrooms cleaned. We are having steak tonight so Jack cooks that and I am going to make some potatoes for him and then I am making roasted brussell sprouts with onion and bacon. YUM! Only way I will eat brussell
sprouts is if they are roasted or fried.

Jean: Cancer is an awful thing and unpredictable. Jack had 8 great aunts including his grandmother out of the 8 I think 7 died of cancer and all different kinds. I have always said they should have used that family as research as they must have had something in their makeup that made them more susceptible to cancers. Jackson is playing soccer again I believe, but with Thomas almost done with scouting he is going to be free pretty much all summer this year. He is very close to his Eagle scout and he said after that he is not going to continue. He said the Eagle scout really doesn't do anything after that so he is not interested in continuing it. We had a terrible accident recently where a drunk woman was driving on the wrong side of the highway and killed people and hurt others and of course came out ok in it. It infuriates me because driving drunk is a choice. You choose to get into a car impaired and drive. I think they should have the book thrown at them the first time out and maybe they would think twice. I don't care if it is just a dui, I think jail time and a big fine and license lost. It is a pet peeve with me I guess.

Maggie: Be safe.

You all have a great start to your week. I am off to get more work done.