Old 01-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #16  

Good Morning! We got a sprinkling of snow during the night; it's another cloudy, windy, cold day in my neighborhood. I have laundry going and Bob brought up the luggage from the basement. I can start my piles -- yay!

Maggie, I was sure I could smell your roast cooking! I am trying to use up things in the fridge that will get old or spoil while we are gone. We've had some weird meal combinations. The kids like to use the fire pit at the lake; I think every time Beth is there they roast hot dogs and make s'mores. The coyotes have moved into Iowa because the turkey farmers throw the dead bodies in a pile outside. Easy lunch for the critters.

I have casserole ingredients so better get that put together. Hope you all enjoy a super Saturday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #17  

Good morning, ladies! 25 degrees and snowing again. We had 2 inches of snow yesterday, then last night we had rain coming down in buckets and high winds, and now it is snowing again and windy. ''

Not doing anything but housework today and then reading.

Jean, I have books on my Kindle and my phone so I am never without one. I like a good mystery. I just finished "Alex Cross Coming Home" but I don't think it was as good as the others.

Maggie, I like to get cookbooks I use often and quilting books spiral bound. It's $3 a book here. It's good you have a lot of firewood.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #18  

Good afternoon gals. I keep slipping up thinking I have posted when I haven't. We came out well with the winter weather. They said 4-6 inches and we got maybe 1 1/4 inches max and it started melting and by Saturday the ground was dry as were the roads in urban Memphis. We dodged a bullet.

We went out this morning and had breakfast then onto Wmart to get a few groceries for next week. Next weekend is commissary weekend again so we will back on track. We got to Wmart around 8 AM and it was pretty quiet in there and of course no cashiers. They had two working.

I put on some chicken this morning in the crockpot with water and chicken stock. I just thickened it a bit and shredded it all up. I make homemade dumplings and will put then in for dinner. Jack loves chicken and dumplings so I thought I would treat him. I had to sit down to do some of it because I still get tired pretty easy and my back will ache where they repaired the colon but it was ok. I did a load of laundry and am going to do up the dishes in a few minutes. Jack vacuumed for me so the downstairs is cleaned for the guys to come tomorrow and install my new dishwasher.

Maggie: Your roast sounded good. I always like the smells when I slow cook stuff. I remember coming home from church and the house always smelled wonderful from a roast and veggies.

Jean: Glad you didn't get too much snow. What book did you buy? I have about 400 books on my Ipad so have plenty to keep me company. Like you, I like mysteries. I have some new ones coming up in March.

Susan: Hope you don't get too much snow. I remember living in Va Beach and them having no clue how to handle the snow. We have actually lived several places in the south where they weren't prepared for snow. We got caught the first year we were married when we went to New Mexico to his parents for Christmas. The day before we were supposed to leave they got snow, which is totally weird as it is right at the Mexican boarder. The wind kicked up so much that there were huge tumbleweeds blocking the country road from his parents house. I would walk in front of our car and throw tumbleweeds to the side so the car could move a couple inches. It was awful and I had never experienced anything like it growing up in Indiana.

Everyone have a lovely Sunday.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon! It's very, very foggy here today. No snow yet and 27 degrees, feels damp and icky outside. Went to early church and stayed for the wild game lunch put on by the men as a scholarship fund raiser. The best thing there was fish caught in Canada, but there was a duck/wild rice casserole, moose meat balls, ham balls, lots of venison dishes, turkey or veggie soup, a few salads, cookies and bars. It beats cooking at home!

Susan, hope your weather shapes up and you have normal (whatever that is) winter weather from here on.

"Gma," the book I am reading is The Naked Eye by Iris Johansen. The other book I bought is Trust No One by Jayne Ann Krentz. I really wanted Nora Roberts or J D Robb but true to form, WM didn't have any. Tomorrow is supposed to be freezing drizzle starting around 5 am, which I hope is wrong. But if it happens, better tomorrow than Tuesday when we are leaving for Omaha.

I am doing last minute laundry and getting things together that I can pack now. Hope you all have enjoyed a relaxing Sunday!
Old 01-25-2016, 10:05 AM   #20  

Good morning, ladies! Sun is out and its 38 degrees so hopefully this snow and ice will melt. School is closed again today for the development roads are nothing but ice. I'm staying in. We ended up with 6 inches snow. Our normal winter temperatures are in the 40s and the rest of the week looks to be there.

Faye, what snow removal equipment we have is used to keep I64, I664, 17, 143, and 60 open. That also keeps the bridges and tunnels moving. The rest of us have to fend for ourselves. These people are a horror story when it snows and even when it rains. They never slow down.

Jean, soon you'll be in the warmth and beauty of Hawaii. That sure gives you some good feelings. I have over 900 books on my Kindle. When I read one, I delete it. 99% of them were free.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day.

Maggie,
Old 01-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #21  

Good morning ladies. It is warming up nicely here though we are supposed to get rain this evening.

We have a beautiful new dishwasher. This dishwasher is so quiet you hardly hear anything. I am going to love having it for sure. I went and got my nails done while Jack waited for them to come and install it. They were so nice and really helped up understand all it can do.

Susan: They are a bit better here than that, but our condo streets don't get touched and if we have a bad snow we can get stuck trying to get out of the garage. I'm like you that most of my Kindle books are from Book Bub and free. I have gotten a free one in a series and then liked them enough to buy the others in the series though.

Jean: Have a wonderful time in sunny Hawaii! Enjoy your books!

Everyone have a great day today.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #22  

Good Evening! It's snowing right now and enough to clear off the deck when it quits. I drove to church in drizzly rain which started to freeze while we were counting money. That didn't take long and we balanced on the first try. I picked up the gift shop money, made that deposit, and took a couple checks back to the hospital. I've been putting clothes together and doing last minute laundry this afternoon. Now I need to check my list and put what I can in the suitcase. I hope to be ready to leave by noon tomorrow.

Susan, 6" is a lot of snow for here at one time too. It is supposed to be "nice" the rest of the week and up in the mid 30s. That would be a nice change. Wow! 900 books is a lot of reading. I just never got started reading on the iPad.

"Gma, I know yo will enjoy your new dishwasher! I will have to check out Book Bub and see what I can find.

The dryer should be done by now so need to fold towels. Not sure if I will get in here tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy you evening!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 AM   #23  

Good morning gals. Up early as I have an 8 AM doctor appointment and need to leave here around 7:30 AM.

We did our first load in the dishwasher and it was really quiet. Seems to work great and as long as they are clean and I don't have to wash them anymore I am ok with it.

Jean: Be safe traveling and have fun all of you. I know you will love being in the warm weather for several days.

Everyone have a nice Tuesday.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:18 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS

It is a bright sun shiney day today. We have been out and about doing laundry and other errands. We did stop at Brahams® in the city and I had a scoop of vanilla and a scoop of orange in sherbet in a cup. Their web page has a nice nutritional sheet and show the Vanilla Yogurt at 6P+ and their Vanilla Ice Cream at 18P+ so you can guess which one I had. Right now I am sipping a cup of Starbucks espresso w/milk foam in which I put a packet of Splenda™ so it cost me zero points.

BTW I have achieved my goal so far this year in weight loss of 1 pound loss a week average and that is what my weigh in was last evening and I got presented a star to paste on my record book. I also got one of the tracker booklets which I will start using on February 1st which lands on Monday ~ my weigh day. Life is Good.

Not much going on here except our straightening out our little storage house this afternoon so we can easily access our things when wanted. It is sure nice having that little building that we can lock up when we want to. When the weather gets better in the spring time we will build a porch on it that runs the length of it so we can work on things outside.

JEAN I do hope you have a wonderful trip and fill it with lots of good memories. We will miss you around here but look forward to your report when you return.

DONNA FAYE How nice for you to have that great dishwasher machine. The machine here is “ Maggie” as I have stated before. Right now they are all done and waiting to be put up which I will do when I finish here.

SUSAN I don’t envy you with all your storms and it is good of you to stay inside where you will be safe..

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #25  

Good afternoon, ladies! 55 de4grees and snow is pretty much gone.

I went to the grocery store today and I'll be back at the Y tomorrow. That being said, the weather is calling for more snow this weekend. Our average snowfall for the year is 7 inches so we've had enough already!

Faye, I hope your appointment went well.

Maggie, I've got a ridiculous picture in my head of you as a pionner woman now that you are in Texas.

Have a wonderful evening.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #26  

Just checking in from Omaha. We are waiting to go out to eat with our friends. It's 38 degrees and no wind so feels like spring is on the way. Hah!

"Gma," hope your appointment went well today.

Maggie, on meeting your goal and receiving a star. Is the new program really much different point wise?

Susan, there is snow in the forecast for our town too. We have a neighbor who will clear the driveway plus the lady next door that Bob always does too. We were hoping he wouldn't have any to do.

We will be leaving for the airport at 4:30 am tomorrow. It is close by but they say the security has been stepped up so it will take longer. We fly at 6. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #27  

Good morning all. Our lawn guy is supposed to be here at 10 AM to clean up the back and clean out the gutters. I will be glad for it to be done.

My appointment went fine once he got in there. I waited an hour and I was the first appointment of the day for him. I spent maybe 10 minutes with him all for sitting all that time.

Maggie: Congrats on getting your star!

Susan: Hope the snow goes north of you. I listen to 60's on 6 in the car and Phlash Phelps, who is the morning guy has been on vacation for 2 weeks. He was on yesterday and they are based in DC. He was driving north and stopped in Williamsburg to get gas. He said everything was closed. He found a place to get gas but the convenience store was closed so he drove to his favorite restaurant there and it was closed. He said he ended up having to buy food at Walmart because it was the only thing open. When he expressed surprise at the greeter that they were open, the guy looked at him like he was nuts that they would be closed.

Jean: Good luck on your next leg of your journey. We used to fly out of Memphis at 6 to go to Vegas and we would show up at 4 and no one was there to check us in. Hope you have better luck.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #28  

Good morning to you all. It is supposed to start a nice warm up today and by the weekend be in the 70's. It won't last as it goes back into the 40's next week, but I'll take a few nice days anyway.

The lawn guys finished everything but the gutters on the house and their power washer died so they will come back tomorrow afternoon. It's nice to see it all cleaned up. They didn't put the bush trimming as part of the estimate and I am not paying them more for that so Jack will have to do it on a nice weekend where we don't have anything going on.

I have put the dishes away and started a load of laundry this morning and if I feel up to it will go upstairs and clean bathrooms today. It all depends on whether my headache goes away. I have been having some sinus issues since I was in the hospital that I never had before. If it doesn't clear up, I will have to make a doctor appointment and make sure there isn't any problems with them.

This weekend is commissary weekend so I need to start making a list and menu to shop. We are having turkey roast for dinner tonight. I made beef stew last night using a couple of beef tenderloins. I needed to use them up and Jack didn't want just steak. They do really well in stew I must say.

Everyone have a good day today.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday ~ Almost Noon

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS

I have been spending time this morning with my Teckie to get my printer working again. It was fine up until we had a storm a few nights ago that took with it our electricity for a short while. The storm evidently took with it part of a driver that made the printer work properly. The Teckie went into my computer and fixed the printer problem and now all is working fine once again. Will also talked to him about trading his big laptop for a smaller one more like this one I have. They can take the larger one and gut the insides of the smaller one and install the insides from the larger one without losing any of its contents. It will make it much easier for Will to have a smaller one where he uses a computer.

We went out to eat with some friends after Wednesday evening study and I ordered strips of pork over lots of veggies. I had no idea that it came with a side of rice, refried beans and a green salad along with tortillas. Gracious sakes that was a large amount of food. I brought lots of it home and cut up the pork pieces and veggies and we will have it over some toasted English muffins this day for there is enough for the two of us. The next time we go there Will and I can order that if we choose and then both share it since there is easily enough food for two.

Right now Will and Beanie are taking a nap. With this treatment Will is getting the doc said to take as many naps as his body wants for then the cancer is being fought at this time. Napping during the day a few times hasn’t disturbed his sleeping in the night.

It is quiet here at the moment and almost time for me to fix lunch.

DONNA FAYE Are your sinus issues a side effect of all that you had done to you lately? It is good that you can ease yourself back into your routine of cleaning.

JEAN I will be think of you having fun in the sun.

SUSAN AH a pioneer woman ~ what a nice thought. Making do with a little and not a lot. We are thinking of trading the Mustang in for a truck or a Jeep and get a small trailer to pull behind it to take "vacations." That way we could just leave this MH parked here and not have to make it road ready for we have our "stuff" all out and acessable and not stashed away.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-28-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #30  

Good morning all. We were near 60 yesterday, which was nice. Supposed to be beautiful over the weekend.

We have the lawn guys coming this afternoon to finich cleaning gutters on the condo roof. Tomorrow bright and early we have someone coming to re duct part of the dryer ducting. We have had problems for about 4 years now and have had them cleaned out several times and then had it repaired in the wall where they had crushed the ductwork After tearing open the bulkhead, we find that the morons who built this place used the plastic vent hose from the wall to where it connects in the deiling in the dining room to go to the outside instead of metal ductwork. The thing was completely tore up and useless. No wonder my dryer kept overheating. Going to cost us $700 to get it replaced and replastered. We just spent $1000 for the dishwasher and $270 for the lawn service. Sheesh! We still have to get the shelving units and wheels, which is another $300. That's before we even start any painting, floors etc. I have to say they cut a lot of corners when they built these condos.

Maggie: Hope the extra rest helps Will. I am still napping every day pretty much. Exerting myself tires me pretty quickly still. I have cleaning to do in dining room so we can get those sheles up and going. I have to call someone to come pick up furniture and stuff to clean out that room so we have enough room for those commercial shelving units.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Last edited by gma22; 01-29-2016 at 08:09 AM.