Old 12-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #129

Good afternoon ladies. It has rained here all day but it is in the 50's so no complaints. We got both cars washed this weekend so of course it was going to rain.

I start all my baking early tomorrow morning as we might end up going to see Star Wars tomorrow after Jack gets off work. I asked Jack to help me tonight round up everything I am going to need to do the two pies and the apple squares so I don't have to run around looking for everything. My pie plates are in a small cabinet about the sink and hard for me to get to so he is going to have to get them down for me.

I got a text from Kelly and we are having dinner at her house at 5:30 on Wednesday. I know Tom has to work that day for most of the day anyway. Kelly is fixing pot roast so she may be only working half day if she is working. Jack has it off.

Susan: I will look into senior exercise programs when I go to join. I am sure they have stuff for us including the Silver Sneakers. Oh my gosh that is awful about your hand. I know Jack's ortho doctor told him that cortisone shots had to be stretched out as they swiss cheesed the areas be it tendons or muscles or whatever. With your other issues I am sure it is very hard for you. I noticed my elbows and shoulders are getting more stiff and hurt to do much real stretching of them. Hopefully he can find a solution for the calcium problem for you.

Jean: Pie is my favorite dessert. I had some kind of tiny wedge of a chocolate pie with raspberries in it on the ship and it was divine. They use dark chocolate in everything and with the raspberries it was really good. I guess I like pies because my grandmother always had pie on hand for grandpa. She made a mean peach pie. Sure do miss them. Hope your last minute Christmas stuff is all coming together for you. I love great big deep pools to swim in. The hotel in Fort Lauderdale has this huge pool with a grotto and waterfalls and lazy river the whole nine yards. Too cold this year to get to use it though.

Everyone have a good afternoon. Jack should be home in about 5 minutes or so.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #2  

Just a quick "hello" and "good night" before I head to bed. We started an hour later to count at church, didn't balance and couldn't find the problem, then I didn't finish my part until after noon. Two more Mondays (next week will be the pastor's wife and myself) and my regular partner will be back. Guess the bank balancer "robbed Peter to pay Paul" to make it balance in the end. Picked up the gift shop money on my way home and got that deposit ready after lunch. I did some laundry and went to card club for supper. I did have some good cards tonight but didn't take high or low.

"Gma," wish I could sample your pies and bars!

I am tired and heading to bed! See you tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 12-21-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #3  

Good morning. It is warm this morning as I had to turn on the fan last night and it is still comfy with it on this morning. We should have sun and low 70's today then rain again starting tomorrow.

I have all my ingredients for my pies pulled except for the refrigerator stuff, have my pie plates and pyrex dish ready to go so after breakfast I will start in.

Jack had a sore throat last night so I am hoping he isn't getting sick. I sure can't have it passed onto me as I only have 13 days until my surgery. I would have to cancel and reschedule and sure wouldn't want to do that.

I bought tickets to go see Star Wars tomorrow at 5 PM. I am hoping the mad rush is done now and we won't have to stand in line to get into the theater. Last time we did that it was for a Harry Potter movie.

They returned that Christmas card again so I give up. It never left the city so I don't know why they wouldn't send it on through. I don't have extra envelopes for the darn thing to just start over either.

Jean: Frustrating not to be able to find the problem I bet. Sounds like your day was a bit hectic. Hope you got some rest last night.

Everyone have a good day.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! We got up to very dense fog this morning. It cleared later in the morning and the trees were beautifully decorated by frost. The sun is out and it's warming up although the wind is cold. I made my grocery list last night and headed to the grocery store fairly early this morning. It was busy and people leave their carts in the middle of the aisles oblivious to someone wanting to get by. I knew I should have gone last week! I'm sure I will be going back for something I forgot even though I double checked recipes.

"Gma," I hope your baking was fast and easy today. I am grouping things that I need for each recipe; will be glad when the prep is done. Actually, I'll be glad when it's Saturday! I wonder what the deal is with the card the po keeps returning to you. Is there any kind of a message stamp on it?

I need to get back to wrapping so I'm not doing it last minute on Christmas Eve. Hope you all are enjoying a sunny day!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday Afternoon

GOOD AFTERNOON IN DECEMBER MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here In the neighborhood. We have all the fixins for a nice dinner for our anniversary dinner which is the 24th and we will have the left-overs for Christmas. I will once again rotisserie a breast in my rotisserie and have all the goodies that go with it. That upright rotisserie does such a good job of cooking.

Today we have been clearing the bush growth that is by the fence that we are going to use for part of our garden come spring for the climbing plants like blackberries.

DONNA FAYE It is always good to get your items organized that you will need for a cooking item you are planning. Being organized sure takes the angst out of baking or cooking.

JEAN Wonder why people are so rude this time of the year when they could be courteous and push their carts to the side when they leave them. I always wonder why people get rude when a smile gets one much further.

Have a great evening Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-22-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #6  

Good morning to you all. It is raining pretty hard this morning and poor Jack has to transport all those pies to work. He also has to take all the utensils to cut them and his own and a steak, which everyone was supposed to bring their own meat and one of the guys is a grill master and will be doing that then then have potato and salad.

Jack sounds awful this morning and Kelly has a bad cold too. I am just so nervous about catching anything from either of them and having to reschedule my surgery. I wash my hands a lot and Jack is trying his best to be careful. Just a waiting game I guess.

No pie baking today. I have two pies to make tomorrow and yeast rolls then we are supposed to go to Kelly's at 5:30. I doubt we make it a very late night with both of them not feeling that great.

I bought our tickets online for the Star Wars movie and they are non refundable then discovered I still have to pick up the tickets that the bar code is for picking up the tickets not used as a ticket. Now how the heck does that not make you stand in line? They have no person that just does prepaid tickets. We shall see. Maybe can use the kiosk thingie to get the tickets.

Jean: Hope your cooking all goes well. I'm like you, I will be glad when Saturday gets here and I don't even have a lot of stuff to do that other people do. I am not in the holiday spirit this year. I think I am just too anxious to get the surgery over with. We were in the commissary on Sunday and they were restocking almost every aisle and it is tough to get the scooter thing around that mess besides the dumb guy with his kid in the coffee aisle with his basket smack dab in the middle of the aisle so not enough space to go either side and his behind bent over looking at coffee. His kid was about 12 and had his head stuck in a video game and was ignoring my excuse me to get him to move it. I finally got fed up and yanked the thing sideways enough to get past and then muttered under my breath loud enough for the dope to hear me.

Maggie: I hope your meal goes well.

Everyone have a good day.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Christmas Eve Eve

I’ve gotten my green Jello salad mixed which consists of lime and lemon Jello, cottage cheese, pineapple, and a can of milk and then I mixed up a can of whole berry cranberry sauce mixed with a can of mandarin oranges and chopped walnuts and they are both now in the fridge. We will rotisserie the turkey breast tomorrow then I can make the candied yams, mashed potatoes, gravy and dressing and open a yummy can of asparagus. We have a package of yummy Hawaiian rolls to have one and make sandwiches the next day and eat whatever left-overs we want. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! We started the day with rain and now have great big wet snowflakes falling. There are two squirrels on the deck and they are a bedraggled looking pair. I was busy in the gift shop this morning, anything Christmas is 30% off. My morning total was over $500 between cash, credit cards, and payroll deductions. I have several things I need to get done this afternoon. Tomorrow is cleaning and "cooking" day to get food ready for Friday.

Maggie, it would nice if you could share your nice weather. How soon will it be warm enough to plant your garden?

"Gma," I hope Jack got everything into work without the food getting wet. I sure hope Jack and Kelly aren't too sick for the Christmas get together. Jason really liked the Star Wars movie but he has always been a huge fan. I sold all of his SW toys at a garage sale and he reminds me how much they would be worth now. I had a lady budge in front of me, to get in line for the register, at WM a few weeks ago. We have the police there on a regular basis and she was a whole lot bigger than I am so I wasn't going to argue with her. She looked like the type that would be on a first name basis with the local police.

My rest time is over and we're heading to the store for what I didn't get yesterday. Hope you all are enjoying the hubbub of the holiday. It will soon be over!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #9  

Good Morning! It is spitting snow flakes but it isn't supposed to amount to anything. I have one potato casserole done and gifts wrapped. I am in search of a gift card I bought for Ian and I know it is here someplace. Makes me mad when I misplace something. I'm making salads and cleaning veggies this afternoon plus last minute cleaning. We have church at 3, 7, or 10 so not sure if we will go to the 3 or 7.

I am having trouble here in that I have to put my name and password in each time. For a very long time the site remembered that for me!

Maggie, Happy Anniversary to you and Will! How many years? Your salads sound delicious! Would you share the recipes? I notice I posted just a few minutes after you did yesterday.

I need to keep moving, or I won't be ready for tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy your Christmas!
Old 12-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Recipes for Jean

JEAN We have been married 30 good years. The cranberry mixture consists of one can of whole berry sauce, a small can of mandarin oranges and a handful of chopped walnuts. Here is the recipe for the:

COTTAGE CHEESE JELLO
Mix and stir well until dissolved:-
1 small sugar free pkg lime Jell-O
1 small sugar free pkg lemon Jell-O
1 cup of boiling water
Then add and stir well:
1 can of fat free or low fat milk
1 medium can of crushed pineapple
1 pint of 2% or fat free cottage cheese
Chill ~ it sets in one hour

Last edited by Maggie; 12-24-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #11  

Merry Christmas everyone! It is warm and we are having a thunderstorm Christmas morning. I thought at first it was the reindeer hooves on the roof but then figured it was too late for Santa to be delivering.

Boy yesterday all day was a mess. I used boxed pie crusts to make pies and they ended up a mess so went back to the tried and true method of making my own, which took a lot more time. They came out great so we ended up with good pie. My rolls puffed right up they were pretty good. I cheated and bought the little dough balls and just make parker house rolls out of them.

We had an early night at Kelly's and came home and watched an old movie part way though then Jack said he was going to bed as he wasn't feeling too great so we were in bed by about 9. He is still sleeping off his medicine, but he is feeling better day by day and so far hasn't passed it to me.

Maggie: Happy Anniversary to you both. Hope your meal is a big success.

Jean: Hope you found his gift card. I bought Thomas that Dairy Queen one and found out they closed the store a year ago and the only other one is clear out by his dad's work, which is probably 15-20 miles away. We got the adults Target gift cards and they bought us a Lowes gift card. Have fun today with the kids and grandkids.

Susan: Hope you have a great Christmas!!
Old 12-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #12  

Good morning everyone. More rain and rain and rain here. We have had a lot of thunderstorms and river flooding and it is just a mess here. Thank goodness the temps are freezing or we would be in real trouble.

Yesterday was quiet here. I made steak, garlic mashed and corn on the cob for Christmas dinner for the two of us.

We talked to Jackson on the phone yesterday and he was playing with the new video game we bought him with his dad. He said they were having company for dinner so his mom and dad were cooking. He is always funny to talk to as he has a great perspective on things.

Today I may kick in and start cleaning house. It is such a mess again. I am doing a load of laundry at the moment and just heard the washer kick off so will have to get them into the dryer.

Jack's cold is getting better but I did notice a bit of a sore throat with me. It may be nothing as I could have just slept with my mouth open or something. I am going to start gargling with Listerine and try and kill germs.

Everyone have a nice weekend.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! It is a windy, cold, gloomy day here. We got a little snow during the night but must have rained first. The wind was from the east because our front windows were covered in ice. Amanda washed all of the Christmas dinner dishes yesterday and I finished putting the rest away this morning. I have laundry going and need to change loads.

Mystery of the day . . . . When I got up it was just getting light outside. I was later than usual so I didn't have any orphans waiting for me to feed them. There was a dark, cat sized object on the deck and my first thought was it was a dead body. When I opened the door it was the small Christmas flag that was on the opposite side of the house by the front door. There is a small rubber washer that slides on the pole to keep the flags from coming off, or so I thought. The seam is not ripped so how it got to the back side of the house is a mystery since the washer is still on the pole. I'm just glad I still have the flag!

Maggie, when you said, 30 "good" years it made me smile. Bob likes to tell people we've been married X years, with a few good ones in there. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I am going to make them!

"Gma," you have been in my thoughts and prayers as we've watched the weather reports from down south. I don't ever remember tornadoes in the winter months. I sure hope you don't catch Jack or Kelly's colds! There is a lot of respiratory and stomach stuff going around here. I'm always washing my hands! I did find the gift card; it was buried in a pile of mail I hadn't looked at, and put in my calendar. Next year I will be more organized . . . maybe!

I need to work on laundry. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it's a cold 14 degrees outside, with the wind blowing. The weatherman has predicted 6 - 10" of snow with strong winds, starting late tomorrow morning. If that happens I hope it waits until after we have counted money at church. There could be a lot! Bob was able to get the outside decorations out of the ground before the ground was frozen any deeper. I'm sneaking up on gathering the inside things together in one spot. It seems like I always miss something and find it after the Christmas boxes are packed away in the basement. There was a small gathering at church this morning and we were done about ten minutes early which is unusual.

I think I will get my 2016 calendar out and start filling in birthdays and anniversaries. I also keep a calendar in my purse. Maybe I will go to the Hallmark store because I need a couple special cards for a funeral and a 25th anniversary next week.

Hope you all enjoy this last Sunday in 2015! According to today's newspaper, the sun will rise a minute earlier and set a minute later tomorrow. Spring is on the way!
Old 12-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #15  

Good afternoon, ladies! 75 degrees and sunshine today.

I had a lovely Christmas with Glory, Norah, and Irene.

There was a huge fight at the mall yesterday - all teenagers. It was so bad the stores locked their doors with people inside to keep them safe until the police could get it stopped. 2 years ago the mall made a rule no teenagers without an adult accompanying them and the schools and churches made a big outcry about it so they removed it and now we have this. Fortunately there wasn't a shooting. I never go to the mall anymore. It's become a scary place and its in a good part of town.

Jean, I sat down yesterday and got my calendar updated for next year. We don't have recycling every week so I have to be sure to make the days to put the container on the curb and then all my bees and my yearly doc appts and birthdays. I keep one in my purse, on the computer and in my phone, too. My computer and phone sync so I only have to enter it once.

Faye posted on Facebook that she had a sore throat so I hope she is taking care of herself and gets over it quickly.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote