Old 11-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #126

Good morning to you all. Jack is out getting breakfast and to Krogers for a couple things this morning. He is going to take my daughter's birthday present to her house later this morning.

I continue to have some issues from the d and c, but they said I would. I am not going anywhere for the next few days so that is ok.

Going to do some more packing today and get most of it finished up. I have a busy week next week so want to get it finished as much as I can. I have my mammogram on Tuesday, haircut and color on Wednesday, then Thursday and Friday I have to get my nails done and get snacks and whatnot for the trip, get the car washed and cleaned and things like that.

Jean: Hope the concert was nice. Well, I have to go to see him Dec 4 and then hopefully he will schedule me for surgery after the first of the year. I have to just wait and see what he says. It's hard to believe it is holiday time once again.

Everyone have a nice day.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #2  

Good Morning! The sun was out for about a half hour but has now disappeared, and it's so dark and gloomy. We are on the very edge of the "bad" weather/storm heading in from Colorado, according to the morning weatherman. I have lunch bunch this noon so I hope the weather holds until later. It would be ok to cancel bell practice. Maddy's concert was short and sweet but the teacher plays the piano as well as conducts while the kids sing. He could really play and I would love to hear him just play. I would guess the majority of parents and grandparents left after her class was finished. The lobby was full of the next grade level families and the parking lot had cars lined up waiting for people to leave. Crazy! The school is on a hill and I would hate to have to navigate the steps, sidewalk to the parking lot, and the drive down to the street in icy snow. We went out to eat afterwards and Kolby got sick during the night. So far we feel fine.

"Gma," thanks for starting the new thread. I am bad about checking the number before I post. You have a busy schedule for the next few days! Did Jack get today "off?" Hope you will feel better each day!

I have a load of kitchen towels to fold and put away so best get that done. I'm debating on a WM stop before lunch. The store is on the edge of town and it's always windy out there. Do I want to mess my hair up before lunch? Nah! Hope you all enjoy a nice day! Thank a veteran if you see one!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #3  

Hi Jean--happy you had a nice concert. I am actually still working although my husband is retired. My daughter is going back to teaching at East High in Sioux City--just ending her maternity leave.
Vickie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:39 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. We are looking at rainy weather moving into our area too. I am not sure how much though.

I am starting to feel better, but still pretty drug out. I am trying to get up and moving today and get some easier things done so it kind of ups my energy.

We had to move our cruise date for next year. They booked at WPT (world poker tour) on the ship and we don't want to be stuck on that ship with a bunch of poker players. We had to go deeper into October a bit to get the date that would work, but that's ok.

Jean: Yes, Jack got the day off yesterday. He is back at work today though. He took my daughter's bday present over to Thomas and of course had to tell Thomas all about the squirrel incident. Thomas knows how creeped out I am by rodents and of course thought the whole thing was hilarious. Smarty pants teenager! Hope you did lunch bunch without a downpour.

Vickie: Good to see you in here again.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #5  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and the wind continues to blow with gusto! It's cold outside! We had 50 mph winds last night and anything that wasn't tied down outside, or heavy, is long gone. Our back yard tree is leafless this morning. The wind is supposed to die down tonight; I wanted to run a couple errands but guess I will stay home. I have plenty I should do around here.

Vickie, I wish the concert could have been held at the church where the elementary schools had their's last year. It has 2000 (?) seats so plenty of room. I guess because I taught school and know how much effort goes into a concert, I would enjoy staying for the whole thing. At least we weren't the only ones to leave, that would be embarrassing for me. Tell me again what your job is, I have forgotten.

"Gma," if our rain gauge is accurate, we got an inch and a quarter yesterday and last night. At least it didn't freeze or turn to snow. It's good you found out about the poker cruise in time to choose another date. My squirrels were here for breakfast as soon as it got light, cats were here waiting for me in the dark. They don't come when the weather is "bad" like it was yesterday, so they were all hungry.

I am dressed and need to get my day going. First on my list is to clear off the island and pitch expired coupons. I don't know why I bother with them because I either forget to take them or they expire before I need to use them. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:32 AM   #6  

Default Late thursday

Yeah Jean--I work at MidAmerican Energy--right now the swing shift. I get off in an hour. It is hard to get up in the am, so I usually schedule everything for the pm before I go to work. I am really hoping to get on a "normal" daily schedule when I do retire.

I think we had the same weather and I was very happy the snow did not stick when I went home last night--in fact the roads were almost dry because of the wind. At least the weekend is looking great for this time of year!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday the 13th

GOOD MORNING IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS

It is a good morning Magnolias. I slept good and didn’t even wake when the coyotes were howling. I think they may have made a home near here because they are so loud when they sound off, not like they are far, far away. There are several unused buildings around here that would make them a nice home. Beanie sure likes to “talk to them.” I wonder what he is saying. Probably “This is my territory and you stay away.”

We installed a nice metal strip along the edge of the outside of the kitchen counter to hold my set of knives. There just isn’t any other place to put them where they will be handy to use and I didn’t want to give up drawer space to them. We put a board strip inside the cupboard behind where we screwed the strip on inside to make it steady since the piece of wood along the outside side of that counter was very thin. Since we installed them on the end of the counter they are out of the way and my fence front small cupboard sits beside there that houses needful things. This cupboard is green with a yellow fence front that is yellow with flowers painted on it with a little bluebird and a butterfly. Then along that wall sit our blond butcher top wooden table and two chairs. Looks good and things are handy.

I have a set of plastic shelves that will go into the storage building and on the shelves will be placed some of my appliances that are needful things. Also stored on a shelf will be my Can Cooker and all that I have that goes with it. That little building is so cute ~ it is a little log building with double doors on the front. We have been slowly cleaning out our storage place down the road and will soon have what we want to keep placed in our little log building and what we don’t want and won’t use will be given to a shelter to be given to those who need it. I won’t be keeping much and Will will be able to use that little building for a leather shop. We still have the booth set up here in the MH with a nice table for me to use as a sewing table to make my high falutin’ dolls and anything else I want to sew. Right now my nice wooden planter sits on it’s tray waiting to be planted with herbs come spring. There is still room for me to set up my sewing on this table with that planter close to the window.

After I finish with this post we are going to make a trip to our former residence in and get some things that were not meant to be left behind that were tucked away in Will’s shop downstairs. Needful expensive things that we don’t want to be left behind in Kansas.

DONNA FAYE Hopefully all your plans will come to be happy moments for you. I got a chuckle about your having to change your booking to get away from that gambling cruise.

JEAN That is too bad they changed the way they do the kiddies programs. I always did stay for the whole program.

VICKIE Welcome to the group. I never did like that shift you are working. My preference was the 2 to 10 in my working days. Snow, it is just too early for that white stuff.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-13-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #8  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly, NO wind so far, and a cool 23 degrees early this morning. The bird bath had ice on top and a squirrel was licking away, sitting on the ice. I kept waiting for him to fall through but he didn't. The cat bowl, on the deck, didn't freeze at all. I made a quick run to WM and will be going back after lunch. On my way by the schools I noticed there were no cars, so no school today for some reason. I was early enough I figured I would beat the WM mothers with kids mob. I wanted some new lipstick, looked at different brands and colors, then picked one. When I got to the checkout, the "mature" checker who has worked there for years, couldn't get it to scan for a price and called someone in charge. That person asked me if I knew how much it was and of course I didn't. So she said $3.99, and I'm on my way. I get home and got to thinking that the different lipsticks were all sealed, top to bottom, and this one was not. Imo the checker should have caught that since that's where the scan code is located. I took the top off, and guess what . . . no lipstick inside! Someone obviously opened it and somehow took the lipstick out, then put the case back in the display. Needless to say I am NOT happy about going to WM twice in one day. Bob has a meeting with the manager after lunch so will be home early for lunch, if at all.

Vickie, now I remember that you work for MidAmerican. Each day, without snow is a good day! I love the big snow flakes that fall gently, so pretty. I have my order in for an inch in time for Christmas. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about what our winter weather will be. I don't mind the snow, but the wind and ice can make it miserable.

Maggie, it sounds like you have been busy organizing your space. I'm sure you are anxious to get the rest of your things moved down from Kansas. How is Will feeling? Good, I hope. I always enjoy the kids' programs. It's so fun to see the kindergarteners so excited because it's new for them.

I need to collect the newspapers and catalogs for the recycle bag. All of a sudden the I am getting catalogs from places where I've never shopped before. Hope you all enjoy a happy Friday the 13th!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #9  

Default Friday the 13th

Maggie--where are you going that you have coyotes? I guess they are in Iowa, but I have never heard any howling. Something has been getting under out backyard fence and eating what our dog doesn't though--we are thinking raccoon or opossum.

Jean--bummer on the lipstick--I hate it when people steal stuff--just makes it more expensive for the rest of us.

Friday!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all. It got cold enough that we actually turned the furnace on for the first time last night. I noticed I am coughing a lot this morning and that usually happens when we start up the furnace for the year. Jack said he would go up and check the filters and buy new ones to put in.

Next week will be busy, busy. I had to wait to take the hold card in because we have a small package that isn't coming USPS until Monday so I will have to do that Monday. Tuesday is mammogram day, Wednesday is haircut and color, Thursday is nails and toes and Friday nothing until after Jack gets home. He goes out to lunch on Friday paydays with the guys as it is the only time they get an hour for lunch and they are out in Timbuktu so can't do lunch out any other time. He always takes the car so he will have the MKS on Friday. I can take the Mariner if I need something last minute but I expect to be busy at home finishing up anything we need to do before leaving. Jack told me we are seriously going to have to cut down on our luggage for the cruise next year. I told him ok but I am still taking shoes.

I have 4 new ebooks for the trip and the cruise so I should be ok to be entertained. I gather they are expecting a lot of rain for the whole driving part of the trip and it is supposed to rain on the day the ship leaves Fort Lauderdale. Mexico is also going to get rain so who knows? Swimming may not work and if it is pouring down, I am not going to go to a resort and sit in the rain for sure. We will lose our money, but I'll stay dry on the ship thank you very much. We shall see what it does.

Jean: Wow you had some wind storm sounds like. Are you guys expecting snow? Ick, I am not sure I would use it even if it had been there in the tube since you don't know who put it on or anything. WM is the worst about stuff like that. Because you can get less expensive stuff, they don't offer samples to test either and you spend money and come home and hate the color. I like to wear peach colored lipsticks and light colored as my skin is very fair and sometimes it is hard to find. I wear lipshine a lot as I can't find what I want.

Vicki: My husband worked the 4-12 in the Navy for 20 years and always loved it. I worked the overnights at 7-11 when I was a young wife and just could not adjust to it.

Maggie: So do you have all your stuff now and all finished up with the house and such?

Everyone have a great weekend. We have a bunch of cruise type errands to run today.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #11  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly, just a slight breeze blowing, a bit warmer, and a beautiful day in my neighborhood. I have clean sheets on the bed, sheets in the dryer, and another load in the washer. After I finish here I have to iron shirts for Bob and something for myself; Bob needs shirts for tonight and church tomorrow and I need to decide what I'm wearing. We are going to the annual harvest supper with Jason's in-laws tonight. We have to be at church early tomorrow because we are greeters after serving coffee last week. The newspaper/catalog/magazine/junk mail piles are getting smaller. I try to remove our name and address from everything and Bob just shakes his head. He thinks anyone wanting that information will just look us up online. He's probably right.

Vickie, I must say that WM was good about exchanging the lipstick. The gal who said to charge me $3.98 happened to be standing by customer service when I went in. She said I could go get a new one to exchange or I could have a refund. I got another one and it rang up at $5.94 but she gave it to me since I had my receipt. I had to show my ID which I've never had to do before. Our store has a terrible time with shoplifters and the police seem to be there on a daily basis. We have some really stupid people living here. Any plans for the weekend?

"Gma," I had to giggle at you finally turning your furnace on. There is no snow in the forecast as far as I know. I'm just glad we didn't have snow with the 50mph winds last Wednesday. It sounds like you are organized and have a plan for getting everything done next week. How long does it take you to drive to Florida? If it's going to rain I hope it's not when you plan to get off the ship. I don't know about Mexico but when it rains in Maui it doen't usually last long, and then the sun comes out.

My break is over and I need to keep moving. November is almost half over, time flies by too fast! Hope you all enjoy a relaxing fun day!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunny and breezy. We went early to church to greet and ended up passing out pledge envelopes for next Sunday. There weren't many there today for some reason. We went out for breakfast and now are trying to gear up some motivation; Bob wants to dump flower pots and I have several choices of laundry, paper clutter, or fur bunnies.

I need to change clothes and get moving. A nap sounds so inviting but I hate to get into that habit. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. Cool this morning and we are definitely in late fall now.

We are pretty much ready to go except for very last minute things we have to take, do, etc. I have a list of things like, turn off computer, check doors, lower heat, etc besides a list of all personal products and meds and such, a list of clothes, a list of all electronics and on and on. Jack is going to have a hard week at work. He is anxious to go.

Jean: We drive 6 hours to Chattanooga, next day 6 hours to Lake City, FL and the third day around 5 hours to Fort Lauderdale. If the ship we are going on is in Port Canaveral, we would drive the last leg in about an hour less. We did the first cruise in halves but then it was a long drive. I have to be careful of the leg swelling and such so we started breaking it up in 3 days.
We cleaned the whole inside of the car yesterday so hopefully we can keep it clean until we go. Glad you got to replace your lipstick. I imagine we have a lot of shoplifting too. We do have our greeters back though.

Everyone have a great week.

Last edited by gma22; 11-16-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #14  

Good Morning! It's a wet morning in my corner of the world. The fallen leaves are going to be glued together for a long time. It's been a strange morning. Yesterday, at church, a man said they had been given double credit, on their quarterly statement, for World Communion Sunday. I checked my print out after church and couldn't find a duplicate. This morning I went back through the check copies and envelopes that I use for my report, and didn't find anything. Meanwhile another guy called the office this morning and said the same thing. When the "old" secretary came in later, she went on the computer and found where, for whatever reason, the program had double posted everyone on that one day. She has to fix it because I can't get into that part of the accounting system, and wouldn't know how to fix it if I could. Bob had a meeting in a town an hour away and wasn't supposed to be home until later this afternoon. He just called saying he would be home for lunch because the meeting isn't until next month! The guy who went with him had it written down for today too. I have card club tonight and called to check in with a gal I pick up. Her response was that card club is next week, not tonight! They have something going on at church so she can't play cards.

"Gma," that is a long ride to Florida! I imagine Jack is counting the hours left in his work week. Are you leaving Friday after work or Saturday?

Bob just called and had a better offer for lunch so won't be home. Guess I will have soup and count the gift shop money. Have a marvelous rest of your day!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MGNOLIAS

It is a wonderful rainy day here in this part of the world. I love to hear the pitter patter of rain on this MH roof.

I have been going through some of the cook books I saved and weeding them out again and mainly saving some real neat BBQ books. In the nice weather we love to cook out. I am also making up my Thanksgiving and Christmas menus. Gone are the days when we had a large group sitting around our lovely wood table. Now we have a small wood table here in the MH which suits us just fine. We did go to Bed Bath and Beyond today and got a nice trash can that will fit nicely in the bathroom. We certainly don’t need a big one in there but do need one.

VICKIE Dear we live in TX in the country where the coyotes howl. I still think they are living in an unused barn across the fence. They wouldn't be living in the one here closer for it gets use.

JEAN Soup sounds good on an evening like this also. LOL you have run into mixup after mixup on dates.

DONNA FAYE I am sure you will be more rested making your trip split up as you plan. Riding hour after hour can get tiring for sure.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-16-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote