Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #120

GOOD AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

Happy day this is ~ JEAN Yes he added the stuff to drink together and the good news is he will come back in 2 years to be checked on to keep him cancer free. If anything comes back in that amount of time it will be a “snip” and it is gone again.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #2  

Good news, Maggie!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! Another sunny day with a high of 86 in the forecast. I'm watching Hurricane Danny closely.

I got up coughing and feverish. I sure hope I'm not getting sick again. I think it's just allergies for weeds starting up. The wetlands are blooming with all kinds of stuff.

Maggie, thanks for starting the new thread. Wonderful news about Will. I'm sure you and he are relieved. My friend Diana just had a bad colonospy and the found cancer where the small intestine connects to the colon. She's having surgery September 12.

Jean, Glory is getting around with one crutch when she leaves the house and just using her cane inside. The summer has flown by once again. It won't be long before you are closing up at the lake.

Faye, did the eye doctor say when you might be ready for cataract surgery?

Have a wonderful day. I have to clean house!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #4  

Good Morning! The sun finally came out, wind and humidity is the weather for today. It's not supposed to be hot but the humidity will make it seem hotter. I have sheets in the washer and have cleaned veggies. I've read where you're supposed to clean fruits and veggies as you are going to use them. I've always done them all at once. How about you?

Susan, I sure hope your sneezing and coughing is allergies, they are bad enough. We will celebrate Maddy and Jason's birthdays, at the lake, Labor Day weekend. That most likely will be our last family time there. Bob's brothers said to sell when they were back for the tractor weekend. In some ways sad, but in others a relief -- mixed feelings for all of us. I need to dust and vacuum this afternoon too.

Bob will be home for lunch soon. Have chicken to grill or leftover sandwich fixings. Hope you all enjoy a super Saturday. Do something you enjoy!
Old 08-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #5  

Good afternoon girls! Rainy and humid here today. I had my hair appointment today and as always she did a great job. My hair is so fine though that it sticks to everything even when she uses the blow dryer on me.

Jack just went to Auto Zone as our left turn signal has now gone out too so he is going to try and change it himself. They're kind of hard to get to so I don't know how much success he will have with it.

I have so much work to try and get done today, lots of laundry since it is sheets day and I have two loads because my man didn't bring down the laundry when he should have. I also need to clean house. Jack mucked up the floors in the laundry room so I have to mop them over again.

Maggie: Glad Will did ok with his dr appt.

Susan: She said it depends on how fast they grow, but they weren't there last year and right now I am 20/25 left eye and 20/35 right eye and they won't repair them until they are 20/40 or worse so it depends on how fast they change. I know my eyes have changed drastically in the last year because of it. Hope Danny just wanders out to sea and doesn't cause you any problems.

Jean: I love rhubarb and I've only had rhubarb pie once and they had rhubarb that wasn't totally ripe so it was awful so have never tried it again. Have you warmed back up yet?

I better get going as I just got home from the salon a bit ago.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's another cool and windy, but sunny, day in my neighborhood. I've been sorting through the clutter in a couple of drawers. I have more odd scratch pads than I'll probably never use in my lifetime! I did pitch a pile of old receipts and newspaper/magazine recipes that no longer look as good as when I cut them out. The hummingbirds and Orioles are back on their way south. They are early so I wonder if that is a prediction of colder weather arriving earlier. It was 50 degrees when I came downstairs this morning. It is definitely darker in the morning, and I can tell it in the evening too. It was dark at 9:00 the other night when we got home from the soccer game.

"Gma," I hope Jack was able to fix the turn signal and save the labor expense at the garage. My friend and I used to meet in the afternoon, for pie and coffee, but this restaurant decided to close at 2 and reopens the back half as a sports bar at 4. We switched to the morning with muffins and coffee. They keep the pie in a display case by the register and they looked so much better than usual. I even asked if someone new was making the pies, but the waitress didn't know. I've never seen rhubarb pie there so decided to try it.

Guess I will finish reading the paper and then tackle a wicker basket where I "store" articles I want to read but don't want to take the time at the moment I see them. I know I will see some old dates in there. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a special Sunday!

Last edited by Jean; 08-23-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. Going to be around 85 or so today and doesn't look like we have much rain in the forecast for a whole week, but you know how that can change and fast.

I just finished paying bills this morning. In comes the money, out goes the money! Hey, I am just thankful there is enough to go around as in the old days there sure wasn't.

I imagine sometime this week my contact should be in and I can go pick it up. I want to get my nails done this week too so maybe I can coordinate that as they are at the same place.

I cleaned the downstairs, with Jack's help. He vacuumed the whole downstairs for me. I have a "stick" vacuum we bought just a few months ago and I love it. I have never had a vacuum that does very well on floors that aren't carpeted, like wood, vinyl, tile, etc., but this thing does a great job so I don't have to drag out a broom to do it. Sure does save the back a lot doing it that way. I have to tackle upstairs this week. I may or may not do the bathrooms up there today, we shall see.

Jean: I need to go upstairs and clean out receipts and such that are old. I pay bills and let them pile up on the printer then take a grocery bag and haul a mess upstairs and just stick them in Jack's office as that is where the file cabinet is. I need more pocket folders before I clean them out again. I have post it note pads I use for appointments and such that I can stick to the edge of my computer desk and I buy mini versions of the yellow legal pads to make notes and such on. I do try to keep them cleaned up, but they get ahead of me sometime. Right now the house is so overloaded that I give up trying to do anything major until after Thanksgiving. I found I can get the metal shelving I want for the pantry a lot cheaper at Lowes. They look to be almost the same and about 1/3 of the price. I told Jack as soon as the holiday is over we are going to dig in and start hauling stuff to Goodwill or wherever and have the Salvation Army come and get stuff too so I can get organized. It is driving me nuts.

You gals have a good start to your week.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! It's another cool, windy, and sunny day in my corner of the world. It was 42 degrees early this morning and my furnace was running when I got up. Crazy for August! Not much money to count this morning so we were done before the gal could make the deposit at the bank. I had the gift shop deposit ready from Friday so stopped at the bank on my way home, then dropped checks off at the hospital. I vacuumed fur and dusted when I got home. I should have bald cats from the looks of the loose fur! Now the washer and dryer are both going so will have towels to fold before we leave for the soccer game later this afternoon.

"Gma," I know what you mean about the money coming and then going too fast! I always thought a month without any bills would be so nice. I'm the queen of "out of sight, out of mind!" I stuff things in drawers and/or closets thinking "later" and then the later comes when I either can't find something or the drawer/door won't close. That usually happens when I'm in a hurry and can't take the time to sort and pitch. One can never have too many shelves; it sounds like you found a deal!

I think I will dig out a sweatshirt to wear to the game this afternoon. Once the sun starts going down it will get colder fast. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. It is nice and cool this morning but supposed to get into the 80's by this afternoon. No rain in the forecast.

I am going to put a roast in the crockpot a little later and try and tackle the bathrooms upstairs today. I have a load of laundry in at the moment so like Jean will have towels and such to fold in awhile.

I have been waiting nearly 3 weeks for a dress and lace shrug I bought. They are handmade in India, but if I knew it would take this long to get it, I would have said forget it. It is from the same company I bought the other two, but I bought it from their website instead of on Amazon so they ship directly from India. Never again. I am nervous whether I will ever get the thing, so I went online to Amazon and bought a beautiful silver dress from the place that sells them and a pair of silver sandals. I will get the whole outfit by the end of the week to Monday at the latest. I am giving them until Monday to have the dress and shrug in my hands then I am raising holy heck with them. I have contacted them twice about it and the last one said I would have it between last Friday and yesterday. Well, it didn't come.

Jean: The good thing about the shelving is it is like the stuff that is in restaurants. They are metal and on rollers so we can roll them out of that room to put the flooring down and them roll them back in there. We are hoping right after next year's cruise, the first of 2017 at the latest to get started on the floors finally. I have to get this house cleared out of stuff I want to get rid of first and get those shelves in and get things organized before I can even think about the other stuff. We also need to paint the living room and entranceway before we get the floors in. We will do the living room, entranceway and pantry first as I am putting in wood flooring or pergo etc in those rooms. Before we tackle the kitchen we have to find out what we should do with regards to new cabinets and such. Do we put in the tile first or last? A contractor can tell us that so that may take more time because it is more money to get the new cabinets and such. Have you ever read any of the Anne George "Southern Sisters" books? They are all on Kindle and they are so cute. She died before she could complete the series so you don't find out what happens in a couple areas, but they are great books. The first book is Murder on a Girl's Night Out. You should get the first one and see if you like it. You can probably get them in paperback too.

Well, I need to get out of here and get stuff done. I did an edeposit last night for a rebate check we got and I don't think it ever took so will have to do it again.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #10  

Good Morning! It's another sunny cool morning in my neighborhood -- 44 degrees early this morning. No wind so far so hope it stays that way! I turned my furnace on to take the chill off the house when I came downstairs. Sonny is sitting with his paws on the register so he must think it's cold too. Bob has a BC/BS meeting this morning and wasn't sure if they would get lunch or not. He's been working on his lawn mower trying to fix a glitch that makes puffs of smoke as he mows. When we got home last night the garage reeked of gas; good thing we didn't cause a spark when we opened the door. He's hoping to get it finished this afternoon. Maddy's team won their game last night; she was goalie for the whole game and spent quite a bit of time sprawled on the ground. It was a beautiful day to sit outside for the game. I need to make a WM list this morning, and work on a Good Will box.

"Gma," a roast sounds good! I haven't made one for a long time, guess we seem to grill more in the summer. I hope your dress and shrug come. The mail situation is going from bad to worse. When we did our kitchen they put the tile floor in before the cupboards. We've had trouble with the grout in one spot; the contractor claims it is a joint, I think he said. Anyhow, it cracks and eventually crumbles. It's been 20 years since we added on and I've been tempted to go back to vinyl. I know it will be a mess to take it out. Have also considered putting carpet back in the TV area and under the table. It definitely would make it warmer and quieter. There's always something to fix or work on in a house. I've not read anything by Anne George that I'm aware of. I will have to look for her books. I just brought two mysteries home and can't get into either one. I think I will try again this afternoon when I'm wider awake than in bed later.

Well, I need to finish getting dressed for the day and then get busy. Hope you all enjoy a terrified Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 08-25-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday

GOOD EVENING IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

Not much at all going on to yack about gals but I have been reading your posts. We had Colonel Cluck (KFC) and it was fine for I didn’t really feel like cooking this evening. Will just left for a meeting with some veterans which he has been invited to month after month and never went so since he didn’t have anything else eating up his time tonight he decided to go.

I have a pair of shoes that have the heal in but the toes out and they lace up nicely and work fine with my brace. They are a pretty shade of blue that goes well with jeans and I want a black pair that will go with my dressier clothes so I am going to order them real soon.

jean What fun for Maddy's team to have won. Being goalie takes a lot of work even if they spend lots of time on the ground.

DONNA FAYE Your silver outfit sounds quite lovely. You are getting these lovely clothes and I am ordering from a catalogue that sells clothes for chefs and am getting a couple blouses. I like their broadcloth shirts and am getting a light lavender one and a burgundy one. I have several of their shirts that go well with my slacks.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-25-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 AM   #12  

Good morning to you all. It is quite cool for August this morning, low 60's. We will again warm up to the 80's today though.

I am a mess today. I got up this morning and everything was fine. I went to the bathroom, took my fiber drink with my meds, turned on the AC and felt something so went back to the bathroom and go hit with hard cramps and the other stuff bad. Now I am shaking like my blood sugar has dropped but as soon as I got out of the bathroom I washed my hands and took my bsugar and it is fine so it is the female stuff making me shake. I can hardly type I am shaking so bad. I took some Advil so hopefully it will help. I have 3 weeks until I see my regular doctor and I am getting a referral to see the gynecologist again and see if he can do anything to help me. I would say I would just change to someone else, but like I have said, I have seen 4 different ones and they all tell me the same thing and two of them weren't connected with my practice. You and I know this is plain not normal for this to be happening to anyone let alone someone who will be 62 next month.

Plain ole hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes with a veg is on the menu for tonight. I needed something I could fix quickly and everything in the freezer seems to be stuff that takes awhile to do. I have a bunch of work I would like to get done.

I bought a cute visor hat for the cruise. It is sort of a melon color and I hope it fits. It has a bigger brim and was made for lady golfers. I have a straw hat and two cotton hats with big brims, but they are too hot to wear. I am concerned about my scalp being open to the sun, but I just can't wear the other hats. I can't be in the sun much anyway because I burn so badly so I never sit in the sun on the cruise. We actually have our own area to sit in on the pool deck due to the cabin type we picked so am hoping part of it is in the shade. If not, there is plenty of tables and chairs in the shade you can sit at. I think I will take a deck of cards this time and Jack and I can play cards. He will win since the card games he plays he excels at, but that's ok. I like gin, but he doesn't know how to play gin. I play it on my Ipad all the time. We have a cribbage board somewhere, but he learned to play in the Navy and he always beats the pants off me in that game as well as Spades and Hearts. I have just learned to lose! Good thing I am not a competitive person.

My dress still didn't come in and I am pretty steamed about it. Like I said, they have until Monday then I am going to blow my stack at them. I can be patient, but the stuff was shipped August 7 and they said 7-10 days. They must have sent it on a rowboat over here. Funny thing is the dress, shoes and the bra I had to buy all have shipped already and I only ordered them day before yesterday. Going to be interesting as I had to buy a strapless bra and have never worn one. It is longline so will probably be miserable, but I imagine I can get through dinner. The things we do for beauty!

Maggie: I bought a pair of really cute Skecher sneakers awhile back and cannot wear them. I tried to wear them to the grocery store one day and the way they are made makes me walk funny and puts terrible stress on my knee. Because I had walked outdoors in them, they wouldn't take them back. So, while we were in Nashville in the spring, I bought a pair of baseball style Keds and they are wonderful. I wear them when I wear jeans and they are great. You have to search for stuff I guess. I learned not to buy Skechers anymore though.

Jean: Yeah, for Maddy!!! I guess Sonny had cold "hands." I wonder what winter is going to be like this year? I sure do hope we don't have another bad one. I have picked out the flooring for both areas, but who knows when we get ready to put it in if it will be available. Jack likes the look of cherry so I imagine that is what we will get. I want to get those wood look tiles for the tiled area. I have gone back and forth about tiling the whole downstairs in it, but I really like the other so when the time comes who knows.

Everyone have a great Wednesday. I need to get started on my day as soon as the Advil kicks in. I have stuff I want to get done today.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! Another cool and sunny day in my neighborhood. Again there is no wind for a nice change. I was supposed to work in the gift shop this morning but got a phone call that the person in charge of the coffee shop was home sick so it was closed today. There will be many unhappy employees who are the fancy smoothie and latte drinkers. So instead I went to get my nails filled, stopped by the library to drop off P.E.O. money that I collected last week, and headed to the grocery store. I had Bob's grubby jeans in the washer so ran a cleaning cycle and now have a regular load of clothes sloshing away. I'm having trouble with my iPad working with my house Wifi and spent some time with tech support last night. I thought it was fixed but it's not so will call again. I'm not sure if I have limited time using the cell tower or not. Will see when Bob gets the bill I guess. Otherwise, not much is new in Iowa.

Maggie, I laugh when you talk about eating Colonel Cluck! I love their coleslaw! Our local KFC restaurant was taken over (bought ?) by Mexicans and they changed ALL of the recipes. It is now closed! If I find shoes I like I always get more than one color in the same style. I need a wider toe area for wiggle room but still need a medium width.

"Gma," I hope you are feeling better this afternoon. I pray you find a doctor who has the answers to help you. My friend, who has thin hair, puts sunscreen on her scalp if she is going to be in the sun. I think I might do that in Maui. I must have a bigger head because hats really bug me although I do have one that I wore to baseball games last summer. So far this year we've never had to sit facing the sun. I have a pair of Skechers and don't think they have much for an arch support. My "sister" talked me into them at a "buy one - second pair free" sale last summer. We just got Zowie's soccer schedule and would you believe they are on the same days as Ian's football games? He plays at 4:30 and she at 5:45. Of course the locations are nowhere near each other. Luckily, they are on a different day than Maddy's games. Kolby decided too late he wanted to play so couldn't get in.

I need to change laundry loads and then call tech support. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday day and evening.

Last edited by Jean; 08-26-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all. Another cool morning, but supposed to be a beautiful day here today and all next week.

I got the bathrooms cleaned yesterday and will do the vacuuming and dusting tomorrow. When Jack brings the basket down this morning I will stick a load in and then put them in the dryer later. I have errands to do today and I want to get my nails done and check and see if my contact has come in yet at the eye doctor. I also have to go and renew my library card as I tried to use my account online and they said my card needs to be renewed. It is a pain to do that, but I use the library site online a lot. I also have to go to the post office and get the car washed today as it is filthy.

I ordered Jackson a Halloween bag that has his name on it and has led lights in the pumpkin's eyes. I also ordered a gift tin of non chocolate candy for him and will put it together when it gets here and then mail it to him closer to Halloween. I imagine I will get Thomas a gift card or something like that. I know he is 15, but I still do things on holidays for him too. I saw they had a cute outdoor mat that has your name on it so I ordered one of those and ordered this beautiful watch/cufflink box for Jack for our anniversary that has a saying on it. I am going to wrap it and get a card and hide it until our anniversary in November. He has several sets of cufflinks/studs now that he wears on formal nights on the ship so he needs a place to put them.

Jean: I guess you will have to go to one game on one with and the other grandkid's game on the next week and back and forth. It is always hard when you have multiple kids playing all at the same time. The Skechers I have make me walk funny and thus puts a lot of strain on my knee and makes it hurt. I have such big feet I don't know anyone who could wear them if I gave them away. They are brand new. Jack prefers Popeyes chicken to KFC mostly because he hates KFC's sides. I like both restaurants cole slaw and since Jack won't eat it, I always get myself a single serving size. Jack likes the Cajun rice and the mashed potatoes and gravy at Popeyes better too.

Well, I hear Jack upstairs so he will be down in a just a bit and will be wanting to play freecell while he eats his breakfast and read the "paper." Wasn't that awful about the reporter and her cameraman? I watched the video right after it was posted before they knew who did it and I said to myself it had to be a specific attack because he didn't shoot the person she was interviewing.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #15  

Talking

Good morning, ladies! Another nice day in the 80s with a chance of rain. We really need it.

My bug is pretty much gone except for coughing a lot in the morning. There seems to be something going around now and another of my friend's has it. I decided not to go to Glory Bee today but that is mainly because the latest Louise Penny book - "The Nature of the Beast" came out yesterday and I read the whole thing and didn't finish until the wee hours this morning. It was such a good story I couldn't put it down. Now it will be a whole year until the next one.

Faye, I have read Ann George's books and loved them. I read 4 or 5 books every week. I haven't been to the library building in years - just get everything on line. A few months ago when I tried to download it said my card was expired. I called the library because I didn't remember ever having to renew my card and she said it was a new policy but she could do it on the phone for me. You might call your library. I'm so sorry you are still having these female issues.

Jean, That's going to be hard - making it to both games. We have a county-owned sports complex with many fields and the schools play all their games there. Good thing the coffee-deprived people work in a hospital because they will all be suffering by the end of their shift!

Maggie, For some reason, we only have Asian-type and Italian restaurants in a 5-mile radius of my house. It would be nice to have something different.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote