Old 03-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #1  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Thumbs up March (if you can't run) with the Worldlie Chicks

Ok ladies - as Bob Segar once sang "Turn the Page". Time to flip the calendar over to a new month. The seasons are changing - spring is hopefully around the corner for us Yanks while for Shad Autumn nears. In any event should be better weather for us to get up and do some extra moving around.

Here's a link back to the February thread
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:15 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

Sorry for the less than creative title. It's late and I'm tired. DH and I took a long drive today to the bog nature area when he got pictures of the owls. We were about 2 hours south of the Canadian border - most north I've been in my life. It was a long day (9 hours) and I'm pretty tired even though I sat a lot.

I wanted to set up the new thread - will be back tomorrow with updates. Sleep tight.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

Hi everyone, hope you are getting some sun in your Sunday I am excited - it's supposed to get to the 30's by the end of the week.

So yesterday we drove a long way and while we saw lots of birds at the feeder stations along the tour route, they were the variety of birds we see just across the yard at our own feeders. We were up there from about 11am to 4pm - wrong time of day for raptors even though DH was lucky enough to catch the owls at 2pm when he was there last. You have to be there just after sunrise or just before dusk to really catch them. My neck was tired of searching for something sitting in the trees. All was not lost though, we did drive past Duluth so I was able to stop in my favorite market - stocked up on crab cakes, sushi, got some gorgeous halibut for dinner tonight and I also picked up some large prawn shrimp from the Gulf coast. They are frozen of course but I hope they will be good. I also picked up some roasted brussel sprouts from the deli - they smell good - hope they will taste good too. I have tried to make them twice without success - also DH will NOT come near them - he has an issue with smelly vegetables like cauliflower, brussel sprouts and mushrooms (he says he can smell them). Well he's going to have to sit next to me eating them.

Thank you for the comment on my picture. I notice now that my skin is getting that slightly puffy / loss of tightness that I noticed when my Mom started to look like my Grandma. Does this mean I am turning into my Mom???? Yeeks not yet!!! My nose seems to be growing while my limbs are shrinking too. Gosh I hope I am not turning into a gnome. I guess I will have to ask my sister for some advice on a face firming lotion. I do moisturize and keep my eyes and face out of the sun. So while fretting about getting old I saw a post on FB about embracing your age - growing old is denied to many - very true - my brother died at age 48. Don't mourn for what you lost, embrace and be grateful for what you have

Susie - how nice that the nieces wanted to spend time with you and DH - cherish that before they grow up and get boyfriends and you take second place

Michelle - when you said you are still having a bit of tenderness in the stomach area, it brought to mind what they say about insides taking a long time to heal. A helpful reminder. So glad that you are on track and everything is going well for you post surgery. You are doing a bang up job working out in the gym - I'm sure it will really help with overall toning and muscle development.

Ceejay - do you think the tiny seeds on the strawberries aggravated your stomach? Thanks for the comments on the movie Gone Girl - I think I will skip it. I hope the weather has warmed up your way - you guys are getting belted with more snow than usual, aren't you? Is it cold at the plant?

Annie - I REALLY like the new hair cut - I was thinking of doing the same thing, wasn't sure if I'd like the growing out, get it all one length again which for you liking short hair might take less time. It's really sharp looking and you have a nice face structure for that type of style.

Terra - the taco bake sounds yummy - like Mexican lasagna Why did you skip on the pears, they are good for you

Shad - I hope you are floating down the river or some body of water and having a wonderful time on the houseboat. Wish I could join you !

Laura - I think you are right on about the firepit and fire aggravating the asthma - no sense in spending money on something you won't be able to use. I am surprised they would allow a pit vs something like a chimaera ?? but your town still allows leaf burning - mine did not. I know what you mean about needing different things for the various gym classes - I settled on a yoga bag for that and the other stuff in a gym bag. I used to put my purse in a locker at yoga - now I just put my stuff against the wall so yoga works with just one bag of gym stuff. How did your friend's remodeled basement work out?

Happy Anniversary Dee ! Hope you and the hubby have a good day together - I'm sure that you will. What did you settle on for dinner plans? I was watching an infomercial for Beach Bodies / 21 Day Fit diet and that utilizes containers portion sized for various food groups - fruits, vegetables, protein, carbs, oils and that sounds just like your jelly jar concept. I thought that was a great idea. I think I'm going to try that with containers I already have on hand. It sure sounds easy enough, right?

DH is taking a nap right now. I asked why and he said he is hoping to make the day pass by more quickly. He REALLY has a bad case of cabin fever and wants to get outside. Poor guy - we have at least another 8 weeks of winter - but don't tell him. Tomorrow night is our annual Paws of Appreciation celebration for the Humane Society where they honor the volunteers. This year all of us at the Thrift Shop are getting a pin because with everything we did putting the new store together, it would be wrong to favor one person over another. Now I have to figure out a dish to bring to the pot luck - they asked if I would help out handing out name tags so I will have to come early and have something that isn't temperature dependent. I can never figure out what to bring to these things anyway... bye for now.

Anyway - enjoy your Sunday.

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
Thanks for setting up the March thread. Sounds like you had a good but tiring outing.

Susie
You asked when I was going to Texas. I'll be leaving 3-12 and com back 3-18. Can't wait. Don't really dread the drive to Little Rock. Just getting to the airport in Little Rock. I don't do well in large cities. I've decided since there is no color theme and they are getting married on St Patrick's day that I'm wearing a teal green top and light grey skirt.

------
I'm having a good day at work. We were lucky this morning and today in that the temperatures were above freezing when the rain started. It's still drizzling and getting foggy.
Texted with my cousin from Midland, TX most of this morning. She needed to vent big time. Wish I could remember how to save this long text to my email. That will give me a chore to do in a few minutes.
City Council is in an uproar over the cost of our insurance but I'll take it one day at a time. In August I can get Medicare.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Whooo hooa new month!

I was not very focused in February with my weight-loss efforts but it’s a new month and I am going to get back into the routine of logging my food and exercise. Also back to writing in my journal. I am taking time for me this month.
My Director will be in China for 2 week after tomorrow and I am going to get things caught up for all those little side projects he has thrown my way the past 3 weeks ( a total of 6 on top of my regular work) and I have made up my mind that the next time he gives me something new to do, I will say, I am happy to do that and then ask what is the priority, that new project or the other on-going projects. They have to start to understand that I can’t keep up this pace.

Recently I was approached to take on a Leadership role with our site Admin Team and when I spoke to my managers about it, they said they felt that I was already stretched thin and were concerned about me taking on something else. Well…..guess what….if they want me to do something that doesn’t fit in my current work plan, or I’m already working a project for them, they are doing to have to set the priority AND figure out either a new time frame for the other projects or the other Admin’s in my Org have to take up the slack.

If you can’t tell, it ticked me off that they weren’t on board for that leadership opportunity for me. They haven’t said flat out no, but wanted time to think about it and review my work plan.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit

Happy: Thanks for making the new thread. It sounds like your trip was fun but tiring. I would have been awake all the way there and then on the way back, sleeping. I love to sleep in the car!

Ceejay: It sounds like your outfit for the wedding will be perfect.

Today we went to church, then to the grocery store for DH while I came home and worked as well as cleaning the bathroom. I will have to do the kitchen tomorrow night.
That’s about all from here.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:32 AM   #6  
Choose your hard

Susie - please look after yourself and make sure you do things in the best intentions of Susie. I say this because I can't tell you the number of times I have devoted myself to the job and shortchanged myself, only in the end for it to wind up hurting myself. No doubt your managers do not want you taking up that leadership role because they are used to having you at their beck and call and ... heaven forbid Missy - you might gain a skill or experience that would take you away from them. Who would want that??? I know you are happy for your job and grateful and a hard worker - just please don't shortchange yourself. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would offer that advice.

Ceejay - I would be nervous about driving to Little Rock too but you will do well. Once DH took an airplane up north here when we were house hunting and I gave him money from my own pocket for a taxi cab rather than drive him And Memphis' airport was nothing compared to Chicago's O'Hare but you have to drive through some awful areas to get to the airport and that's what scared me the most. Vacation will soon be upon you - are you planning on seeing anything special while you are in Houston? Your reception outfit sounds pretty. Did you find any more new clothes?

I did some things around the house today - several loads of laundry, cleaning up but I should have made a bigger dent in things than it seemed like I did. I decided to hold off tackling the grocery store until after my shift on Tuesday. I got more done spending the day here. I am still toying with what to make for the pot luck tomorrow. I'd like to make something savory rather than a desert but the only things I can think of are warm and I'd have no way to keep things warm unless I bring a crock pot. Last year I brought the crock and they set it out way ahead of time so that when it came time to serve, the pasta dish was lukewarm. Hesitant to do that again. Guess I'll sleep on it. Night all. Sweet dreams.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #7  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Happy Monday!!

Saturday was laundry and errands. DS installed my new toitie in the master bath. Did a great job. I love the new toitie, it is a little taller and elongated rather than a round stool. Took him to lunch at Panda Express (chinese) not my fav spot but his. I just had lo mein.

What a snowy Saturday night into Sunday. We ended up with 8-9 inches of snow. Thank God for my neighbor and her snowblower. She came down and had my drive cleared by 10 am Sunday morning. C shoveled Sassy's path and potty area in the backyard. Sis and I ventured out around noon to get groceries. Roads were not all that bad, C made me drive his 4 wheel drive SUV. Really didn't need it once out of the neighborhood. Sis and family came over last evening for dinner. I made the chicken recipe posted to my FB page, YUMMY! Also potatos and italian veggies and dinner rolls. Dessert was cut up cantelope. Watched me some VOICE, man I love that show and am starting to feel sorry for Adam Levine as he cannot get any of the contestants to pick him for training. All 4 of the others have 2 or 3 so far.

HAPPY..thank you for setting up the new thread. What would we do without you! Thank you for the nice compliments on the hair do. I like it a lot myself. Sorry to hear DH is getting cabin fever. Maybe you could entertain him a bit. Belly dance or something. I get cabin fever after two days, I can imagine what he is going through. Have fun at Paws of Appreciation. Cook up some hamburger, make some mac n cheese, throw the burger in mac and cheese and be done with your pitch in item. Maybe add a little garlic and onion to the burger while cooking.

SUSIE...Bosses don't like to let go of their "great" help by being consumed by other rather than themselves. My boss told me not to tell the other departments I was a notary cause they would take advantage of me. haha. June 20 will work, however the 21st is father's day, so I don't know if that will interfere with anyone's plans.

CEEG...glad you work day was going good. Always makes things go smoother. Count down the days till vacation?, I know I would be.

Hellos to the rest of you chicklets!!

Hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #8  
Choose your hard

Morning kids,

Going to be a busy week ahead. Yoga twice this week, thrift shop, Paws of Appreciation, grocery shopping, our wedding anniversary and the first Saturday music gathering in a nearby town. Gets me out of the house and also DH for some of them. No Annie, I am not belly dancing for DH - that will just make more work for me I can find lots to amuse myself - so can he.

Thank you Annie for the cheeseburger mac and cheese idea - I may just run with that. I have a big block of Velveeta to use up, got plenty of hamburger in the freezer. I was leaning towards either mac and cheese or beef and mac with red sauce - think I will try your idea for something different. Thanks! I will keep in warm in the crockpot and the first ones at the table get the warmest stuff That's quite a lot of snow in one dumping. That's when having a snowblower comes in handy. And as we turn the bend towards spring, that's also when we tend to get the wetter, heavier "heart attack" snow so be careful! Cut up cantaloupe, eh? How do you get anything with flavor? I have been taken in by nice looking (and smelling) melons only to find them tasting like Styrofoam replicas. I saw a video on FB by a Spanish lady who carves roses from strawberries - I am itching to try that, especially for tonight's party. Doesn't look too difficult... will take a picture if I decide to do that.

Whoo hooo - it's supposed to start warming up towards the end of the week. I am excited for winter to be over. I have been evening snacking too much and not moving enough and gained a few pounds since January. The gym experiment was a dismal failure but honestly, pretty much what I thought it might be which is why I only signed up for 3 months. As Susie said, it's time to get focused again. I have spent the last week concentrating on making better food choices and resisting the temptation of mindless snacking at night - having a piece of fruit if I have anything at all and I have started journaling my meals again.

Guess I should get started with my day - I am also trying to stick with doing a few housework things each day to set a routine so I can stay on top of the housework. I have drifted off the road which proves why we need discipline and focus. Anyway - have a good Monday - will check back later to catch up with the rest of you lot.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #9  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -

Busy at work, and I'm glad of that. I look forward to keeping my mind focused and not falling into emotional eating patterns. I'll post the suggestions I got from my therapist and from bariatric support group. The one I remember clearly is to NOT stockpile even healthy treats in my desk. Keep them at home, except for the amount alloted for today (for example 3-5 wheat thins rather than a whole box at my desk).

I'll be back for personals later.

Much love,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #10  

Morning all. Woke up with the ears feeling weird and the balance off. Seeing a doctor at 2 today, not my own doc but one in her group. I'll see what he/she says.

Friday night was low key - just some tv. Saturday morning was Jazzercise class. My regular instructor wasn't there, we had a sub. Which was okay with me. I didn’t want C to say anything to make me feel bad about quitting Jazzercise. So that's all for Jazzercise for the time being.

What else for Saturday? I puttered around for a bit. Bf has not gotten back to the half bath project to do the paint & plaster touch-ups so i pulled out our mouse sander (black & Decker). I tackled an area of wall that wasn't even patched during this project. It had been done the first time we redecorated the half bath not long after we moved into this house. We'd removed a backsplash and apparently done a poor patching job then, but the dark paint color we had must have disguised it really well...anyway, I've got that sanded pretty well. Maybe I'll pick another spot that needs it today - better than sitting around bored. Not sure why bf didn't use that sander while he wad doing all the patchwork...

After that, i went to three different eyewear stores to look at eyeglass frames and found a couple that I'll ask my eye doc if he can order for me.

Later on was a dog walk, then an early dinner/late lunch. Bf went to our friend's place without me - i wasn't up for a late night, though the gathering ended earlier than i thought- shortly after midnight.

Sunday was quiet, and i did some laundry and a dogwalk. I went to walmart for a few things and that was about it. I'm definitely going to cancel my Sunday newspaper subscription and try to do more around the house - it sooo needs it!

That's about it for me. I’ll post and come back for personals.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #11  
Annie - Indiana

Throat scratchy, head hurting, sleepy, and want my mommie in the worst way. boo hoo hoo.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Didn't want to come to work today but I'm here. Had an early morning chemical truck delivery.
Woke up about 4 this morning hot from the air from the heater blowing down on top of me. Couldn't go back to sleep. Wish there was something else I could do. There's no where else to position the bed and I have the vent almost closed. If I close the vent completely off it whistles. Guess I'm going to have to lower the thermostat some more.

------
Susie
You are already stretched to the limit. I would definitely ask them what to do first.

Annie
Feel better soon. Don't you have a Rav4? Did you know that the slippery when wet is the same as four wheel drive!. I found that out last year.

Happy
Save some "me " time for yourself this week.

Hello's to the rest. It's time to get my things together and make my last round for the day before I go home.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #13  
Annie - Indiana

Good Tuesday Morning!

Last night was dinner, grilled chicken spinach fetticini alfredo and garlic bread. Just happen to have fresh spinach and threw it in the sauce as an after throught and it was very good. Laundry, then VOICE in bed, only made it to 9pm, just couldn't stay awake any longer.

We were supposed to have an ice storm over night. Indy didn't get any of it and the roads were a dry. Amen. Needless to say leaving a half hour early just in case was not needed and I arrived at work at 6:50 am. 40 minutes prior to start time. I usually get here at 7:15 anyway.

CEEG....I do have a RAV4 and I figured that same thing out about 2 weeks ago. haha. I am feeling better today just a slight headache.

LAURA...what did the doc say about your ears? Infected? Watch the balance thing, that alone scares the peediddle out of me. It's the exercise, not good for anyone. lol.

CHELLE...how you holding up, my friend? Get your rest please. Hugs

HAPPY...saw on FB that Eric also got an appreciation award. How nice of them to include him also. Hope your warm up comes as our predicted warm up too!

Hello everyone!

Hugs
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #14  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

We didn't get the snow overnight as predicted but they are still talking about it hitting sometime this morning. I'm hoping it will just be a little bit, if anything. Last night's Humane Society event was nice. We had more people than ever before - well over a hundred. They had to quickly set up more tables and chairs. The concept of the pot luck dinner with a crowd this big didn't work so well in my humble opinion. We started trickling in around 5:15 - I came earlier as I was asked to do the name tags. Food was being set out on the table as people came in. There were 8 people at a table so it took a long, long time for us to finally get up and get something - well over an hour later. By then, nothing was warm anymore. I ate a piece of meatloaf and a mixed romaine lettuce salad as well as tasting my friend's vegetarian tomato faro hot dish. The rest of the stuff on my plate I tasted but didn't finish. I felt a built guilty for dumping so much including the slice of pizza but it just didn't taste good not hot. After considerable debate, I decided to just make mini ham and swiss cheese sandwiches and serve them with potato chips (crisps to you Shad). At least those were ok at room temperature! I have to remember next year that they always start serving at the table of the guy who collects, cleans and takes the aluminum cans in for money for the shelter. Must sit at a nearby table next year It was a long evening but fun otherwise. Today I have my shift at the store. One of the board members make a comment talking about a fund raiser last year that it brought in "chump change" compared to our thrift store sales but what a nice thing it would be if we could do less fund raisers because we got enough money from the thrift store.

Just saw a blub on the Internet that Maggie Smith will be leaving Downton Abbey after the next season to telecast (later in the year across the pond). I guess it's time to wrap this show up as much as I enjoy it. Will miss her snappy character.

Annie - I am seeing more and more on the cooking shows to toss some greens like kale or spinach into a dish. I have started to add fresh spinach to soups too - quite yummy. Thank you for the pot luck suggestion - I am going to make a small batch for us to enjoy one night. Eric belongs to a small crew of "reluctant (well not really) husbands that a few of us gals suck into the cause to help out. Leave no opportunity untaken when you do charity work Are you getting a good sleep once you turn in for the night? I should start watching The Voice - I like the banter among the judges. I hope you are feeling better today.

Ceejay - I have no other suggestion for the vent except to turn down the heat as you say. Too bad you can't deflect the air stream towards the ceiling or something. Our new 4Runner is all wheel drive now - apparently they are doing away with the 4 wheel drive. Seems to work ok.

Laura - how did BF feel that you did the sanding? Gotta love a woman with a tool belt I know the feeling of "just GET it DONE already" Pity that you will cancel the Sunday paper - does it take that much of your day that you have to give it up?

Michelle - good point about not keeping extra food around at work. Look forward to hearing what the counselors suggested. Be strong!

I guess I did well with my food overall yesterday even with the buffet. Did not eat things not worth the calories. Had a Lean Cuisine for lunch and I went grocery shopping and am making a concerted effort to eat fruits and veggies. Bought some lovely raspberries and the strawberries were also surprisingly good. Now I have to eat up my kiwi fruit as like most things here, it is getting a bit wrinkled and dried out (just like the tomatoes) as it is so dry here.

I need to get ready for work - will catch the rest of you later.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #15  
Annie - Indiana

HAPPY...I am sleeping better at night, still waking up from time to time but getting back to sleep in a reasonable amount of time. Probably because I have been take 1/2 of a tylenol PM each night. Glad you had a nice time at the appreciation dinner, too bad the food was cold. Need some of those bunsen burner type thingys next year for the hot food. I am feeling better today, just a slight headache. Called the doc as I am not sure the sinus infection is completely gone. She is out of the office today, but will be back tomorrow. She will either call me in a script tomorrow or see me on Thursday at 10:50. I hope the first. Yes, I am trying to incorporate fresh spinach in more dinners here and there. C likes it and so do I so that part is ok. There was a little leftover last night, C is having it for dinner tonight. On the cantelope, it was a different type of cantelope with a smoother but yellow/orange skin. Can't remember it's name. It was light yellow almost white on the inside, tasted a little tangy like an orange but also sweet at the same time. It was so good. I will try to remember to look at the grocery this week for the name and probably get another. C has been on a pear binge, can't keep them in the house for long, once they ripen you have to eat them within a couple of days. I limit to buying no more than 4 at a time. He is also on a banana kick. Brought my lunch, leftover chicken and italian veggies, but forgot it is taco Tuesday and that wins out over anything I might bring. lol. Have fun at the shop...Hugs sister.