Old 12-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! Brrrrr! It's been another cold, but sunny day. A colder one tomorrow. We had extra money to count this morning and after I stopped to pick up the gift shop money it was almost noon by the time I got home. I went to get my nails done this afternoon and worked on the gift shop bookkeeping.

Maggie, I think I saw the same article about using vinegar to wash fruits and vegetables, on Facebook. I haven't tried it. Bob wondered if newer silver dollars were all silver. The new pennies seem to be lighter in weight than the old ones. I thought maybe they would do away with pennies.

Not much else is newsy in my corner of the world. Hope you are all keeping warm and enjoy the evening.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #17  

Evening gals. I swear I thought I posted yesterday, but I read your posts after my last one and figure I didn't. It was chilly and overcast today. Gonna get into the 30's tonight and cold in the morning. Hope it warms up fairly early tomorrow.

I went anf got my nails done today instead of Sunday and ran some other errands. I got some country ribs for New Year's day and some other stuff at WM after getting my nails done, went and stood forever at the post office then came home.

Tomorrow I have a dr appt and we shall see what he wants to do. Feels like my abdomen is filling with fluid again. Have to ask him what causes that as Jack is pretty anxious about it.

Maggie: I didn't even know the public could purchase paper money in sheets. Interesting! We used to get silver dollars for gifts like bdays and such from relatives. I never kept mine but of course as a kid who thinks to keep them?

Jean: When is the wedding again? I don't know about the brunch thing as I haven't ever been to one down here and we yankee gals don't do it. I agree it sounds like hostess means pay for. 😄 I heard today there is a big artic cold front rolling into the west this week and as far south as San Diego may get some snow on New Year's eve. They're predicting snow for Las Vegas on that day too! Hopefully it wears itself out before moving east!!

You all have a nice evening. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Snowey Monday

GOOD EVENING IN DECEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Hallelujah it is snowing. The lawn is covered and so it is more than any we have gotten yet. We so need the moisture for the wheat etc. crops can grow. Cecil doesn’t like the snow for it covers his outdoor sand hole and has to use his indoor butt hut. He has meowing at me like I can make the snow stop. The dogs go out regardless if it is snowing or not. Beanie loves to chase the snow flakes and catch them in his mouth.

We had some more of that lovely chicken noodle soup for dinner and it sure hit the spot especially in this weather even though we were nice and warm and cozy in the house.

Tomorrow I am going to make a nice pot of chili beans with some little biscuits to accompany it. That should warm up the kitchen up enough.

I finally set up the voice message system on my phone today because my only sibling living complained he couldn’t leave me a message. Will now he can,. Always before I could tell he had called and I called him back.

JEAN My silver dollar is a 2014 one and is all silver so I guess that is why it cost $23. I don't know about the newer ones though.

DONNA FAYE Ribs sound good for New Years day. We have a spiral cut ham and I am mixing a can of whole cranberry sauce and a can of mandarin orange slices with a few chopped walnuts. I think I will mix up a box of dressing also.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 12-29-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #19  

Good morning all. It is brrrr this morning and of course I have to be out and about with the dr appt. We aren't supposed to get any precipitation though so that's good.

Jack will be off for 5 days starting tomorrow. He is into his new year of vacation days so he has a lot since we aren't cruising this year. We are spending about 10 days in Indiana in June and I think 3-4 days in Sept in Branson but that is it for this year.

I sure hope the dr can figure out why I keep filling up with fluid. I know it concerns him so I figure he is going to send me for testing if he feels it is needed. I know he doesn't want to aspirate again because of the possibility of infection.

Maggie: I had a can of cranberry sauce in the cupboard and though it was a great way to get in some fruit until I did the pts and the Ocean Spray I had was 4 pts for 1/4 cup! I decided not to eat that. It probably had a lot of sugar in it for one thing. I didn't really look.

Well gals, short and sweet, but I have to get Jack to work. Have a good day. Faye
Old 12-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #20  

Good Morning! It was -11 when I came downstairs this morning. The sun is shining brightly but boy, oh boy, it's cold outside. It might hit 0 this afternoon. I had a scholarship coffee at the hospital this morning. The auxiliary gives three $500 scholarships each year, and our neighbor next door gave six $1000 scholarships in memory of his wife. Then I met Bob to go phone shopping and decided to spend $40 on a new battery for my dumb phone rather than buy a new smart phone. Since I have my iPad we figured there was no point in duplicating options. My phone does everything I need it to do. I need to make a grocery list and maybe visit WM after lunch.

"Gma," I hope your doctor appointment went well, and there is a simple solution for the fluid. I always get nervous no matter when or why I have to go to the doctor. The wedding is Jan. 31st and we are flying out on the 28th. We come home on the 1st. Will you stay in one place for the 10 days, in Indiana, or travel between friends and relatives? I don't remember how far apart everyone is that you like to visit. I really want to visit Branson when it's decorated for Christmas, but so far Bob isn't jumping up and down at the idea.

Maggie, I had to at Cecil not liking the snow. We did spiral cut hams for Christmas and used pineapple and juice on them. We put them in bags in the roaster, even though the directions said to wrap them in tinfoil. They turned out really good!

I need to start the laundry cycle, and then see what's hiding in the refrigerator for lunch. Hope you all are enjoying a terrific Tuesday!
Old 12-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Snowing in the Heart Land

GOOD AFTERNOON IN DECEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is cold with the temperature at 5˚and snowing and blowing. I don’t know how much we have gotten so far but it has covered the surface quite well. Cecil just came in to use his butt hut so I know the snow is getting deep. I do not have to go anywhere day but Will has some errands to run and see the Doc. He had blood drawn yesterday and today the Doc will tell him if all the cancer cells have not come back that they killed.

After lunch I am going to get a pot of chili beans cooking for dinner. I will also make a pan of Krustaez® fat free cornbread. In this weather it will taste marvelous.

Our little waitress where we ate last evening was from Russia and was really nice and spoke excellent English. She said that they teach English in school over there. Anyway we had a good time talking with her and found out she is a college student here. Will was at the gun shop we do business with talking to the owner’s son who happened to be in there and he said something about his wife being from Russia and Will asked him if her name was … and the young man said yes that was his wife’s name and yes she does work at that restaurant. So she is the daughter in law of the owner of our favorite gun shop.

JEAN I also like doing a ham that way. The left-overs are so yummy when done that way. That is so great of those folks to give the help to students. I remember I got a scholar-ship from a women's organization that gave me one that paid for all my books. I just went into the student store and got the books I needed and they were paid for each time I did that. I could actually have gotten anything in that book store if I was a mind to but I was careful with that groups money. There was no set limit to what I could spend. They kinda adopted me during my collage years.

DONNA FAYE I didn't realize that you weren't going on a cruise for your vacation for I thought you had put money down on it already or was that for 2016. Hopefully your doc can figure out what is causing that fluid buildup and fix it. Branson is fun.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #22  

Good Morning! It's warmed up two degrees since I got up, now -8, and -27 wind chill. I've been out and about already this morning. I have one headlight that turns off and on "whenever." I seldom drive at night but Bob noticed it. My headlights turn with the steering wheel so I hope it is something simple to fix. We took the car to the garage and they will bring it back to me when they are finished. I'm thinking about gathering up the Christmas things from around the house. I like to get everything in one place and pack it all at one time. I usually overlook something.

Maggie, you can keep your snow! I know it is winter, but we started so early that spring seems so far away. I hope Will got a good report from his doctor.

I need to get busy! There are fur bunnies floating around and I need to capture them if I don't do anything else today. Enjoy a wonderful Wednesday, and may you all have a blessed new year!

Last edited by Jean; 12-31-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Last Day of the Year

GOOD MORNING IN DECEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is a chilly day here in the♥-Land and the temperature is ZERO. Yep that is 0. Colder with the wind blowing but it isn’t blowing bad as of yet. When the day gets going later it will no doubt kick up its pace. I am thankful for the nice heater we have in this house for it certainly isn’t cold in here.

Those chili beans last evening were so yummy and hit the spot. It has been a while since I had made any and it was time. I’ll be starting back on my drink program tomorrow and so Will will have some “left-overs” to heat up of them and have a good meal.

Will got a good report from his Doc yesterday and will go back again in 6 months to be tested then again in a year. He is cancer free. YIPEKIO. He is over at the gun shop now having coffee with our friend the owner.

JEAN We do the same with our decorations which makes it so much easier to pack them away. Yep, tis the season for cold weather for sure. I hope they get your car fixed soon.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-31-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #24  

Good morning to you all. It is cold here this morning but of course no where near Jean's thank goodness. I have had a sweater on and blankets over my legs and I am still cold today. I think it was about 29 with 20 wind chill which is cold for us. It is overcast but no precipitation.

Jack is watching ongoing bowl games for the next couple days and what a bore that is. I just let him watch the stuff knowing it will be over in a couple days. I just bought a couple books to read along with my bazillion other ones I haven't read yet.

Well, I went to the dr yesterday and he said it was hard and bigger than before so out came the syringes. He had more trouble getting the stuff out though he said it wasn't thick and he didn't know why it was so slow. I had to lay on one of those awful beds with the end pulled out for 90 minutes. By the time he was done he had taken over 9 syringes of stuff out, my back was killing me to sit up, I was dizzy from laying flat for so long and my ankle hurt from hanging over the end. Not a very nice rest of the day since it gave me an upset stomach for the rest of the evening for some reason. I have to go back in next Tuesday and if fluid has built up I have to go to the hospital and have an ultrasound and they will put in a drain. If it isn't one thing, it is another. I should have known when the surgery went so easy I would have some other trouble down the road. I have to keep the pressure bandage on for another day but the darn adhesive on the tape is causing a rash and itching like crazy. Dr. Wheat is really worried about infection of course and yesterday had to use several syringes and he stuck me about 15 times and even pushed on my abdomen trying to get the stuff to come out of the needle holes. Crazy! We had sandwiches for dinner because my back hurt so much I couldn't stand up and do much last night. I am ok this morning, but the cold is making my knee hurt a lot.

Jean: Yikes!!! Hopefully by weekend it will warm up for you. I saw on ESPN that San Diego got ice, but it warmed up this morning and they were sweeping the melted iced off the football field for the bowl game. Do you vacuum or use a Swiffer type thing or a broom or what to do your floors? I would always miss at least one thing of decorations to put away. I have a bag where I put stuff then put it away if it is convenient if not it stays there until the following Christmas. I will have to remember the bag trip because we always found the hams dried out if they were spiral sliced. I rarely buy them because there is just the two of us, but I do like a good ham.

Maggie: Great news about Will. I am sure he is glad he is now cancer free. Looks like you have the cold weather too. I need to email my friend that lives in Kansas city and see how they are doing with their weather.

Everyone have a nice holiday. I don't know if we will still be up at midnight, but Jack did buy some bubbly to toast the new year. Faye
Old 12-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #25  

Bob is glued to a football game -- uniforms are orange and bright blue for one team and dark pink and navy for the other. My Chex party mix is almost done, and then I can wash the pan and utensils. It seems like all I get done is clean up the kitchen.

Maggie, I'm so glad Will got a good report! I have a new headlight to the tune of $265! It's covered under warranty, but so expensive because the headlights move.

"Gma," I'm sorry about your experience at the doctor's yesterday. The unknown is scary. I hope you feel better tonight. If I'm doing a "hit and miss" I use an electric Hoover broom vac. If I need to really hit the corners I have a Dyson animal vacuum; it's heavy and I hate hauling it up and down the stairs. Plus the animal extension wand is not the handiest imo. For the ceramic tile and laminate I have a steam mop I like, and Bob likes just the plain wet mop, but he can push harder than I can. I am seriously thinking about carpet for the additon part because with the two sliding doors the floor is cold. That would cut down on the noise and put carpet in the TV area and under the kitchen table. I'd really like to carpet the livingroom again but Bob fusses about the traffic pattern that eventually will show. I noticed this afternoon, that the skylight in the bathroom has leaked. It's recessed up in the ceiling and there is an obvious water stain where it dripped down the side. If it isn't one thing, it's another! Fix, repair, fix, repair . . . . .

Susan, what are you doing tonight? Hope you are feeling better!

Enjoy your evening, the end of another fast year!
Old 01-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #26  

Happy New Year To You! It is "warming" up, and 23 degrees right now. However, the wind is blowing pretty good. The poor little birds have to chase their seeds across the deck. We've had several cardinals arrive and the blue jays don't like them. Both are so pretty but the blue jays are so scrappy. The parade is on tv, and the people there look cold too. I've done a load of laundry and fixed a casserole for dinner. The Christmas decorations are still where they were yesterday, and may stay there until Sunday. We are thinking about a road trip, to Sioux City tomorrow, to look for a new love seat or couch for the TV area and new kitchen cupboard handles. I have 44 plates and handles so can see the $$ adding up.

Our neighborhood was really quiet last night. There aren't any high school or college kids on our block, and four empty houses. I like it like that! I fell asleep before midnight, woke up about 12:15 and went to bed.

Wishing you a blessed 2015! May this be the best year for you, your friends, and families.

Last edited by Jean; 01-01-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #27  

Good afternoon ladies. Blesedly quiet for just a bit as Jack didn't want to watch the rest of the current bowl game so he is upstairs in his office. It is raining like crazy though as you can hear it and it is quite chilly so I sure hope it doesn't freeze tonight.

I ordered two pairs of another dress shoe in reg and wide width and the only two colors available until February. We shall see if these will be the ticket and if so I'll order them in black with the width that fits best and send the other pair back. I just cannot find shoes here in town that look dressy and fit ok. I have big flat feet a deadly combination. Of course back when i was in high school it was impossible to find a size 10 and I used to have to wear shoes a size small. Now a lot of models have big feet so they sell up through 12 as a norm many places.

Jean: I thought Dyson's were all supposed to be light weight. I have a great vacuum but it weighs as much as a small child. I can't even get it upstairs, Jack has to take it for me. Ahh, Bob must have watched Jack's favorite team yesterday and they won!!! You should see their stadium grass as it is that bright
blue.

You Gals have a nice New Year's day. I am going to fix some scalloped potatoes and baked beans to go with my ribs. No black eyed peas as Jack won't eat them and being a Yankee I have never had them so guess no good luck for us. Faye
Old 01-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking New Years Day

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

This thread has been closed. Please post on the new one.