Old 11-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #95

Good morning girls. BRRR it is cold here this morning and we have icy roads because of the rain . I haven't heard from Jack this morning to see if he is ok as I didn't even know the roads were bad until I saw my dd's post of FB.

Got more Christmas bought yesterday. Bought two video games Jackson wanted and got the third one free. Only thing is they didn't have them available online so I have to go and pick them up at the Target. I have a shirt I want to order for him and 3 or 4 books then I am done with him. As I said, I am giving Thomas money. He and his mom were at odds this morning because he insisted on wearing shorts and it is 30 degrees here. Hey he's a teenager what do you expect?

I ordered 4 more storage boxes for sugar, flour that sort of stuff and they should be here today. They are clear plastic so will be easy to clean and to see what is in them. I already have 4 with flour, sugar, brown sugar and powdered sugar in them. I also order 5 new nail polish colors, but she is waiting for her supplier then will ship them today or tomorrow. I got a lavender, a deep purple, a navy blue and a cherry red. I also bought a top coat that is fast dry.

Jean: Our dining room, which is actually a living room is totally separate at the front of the condo and everyone comes through the back, no one uses the front door pretty much. If we have the money I am going to put doors on both ends, but that may not happen. The condo was built with a living room, den, (which we use as the living area) and eat in kitchen. It is a galley style kitchen and is a close fit if you put a table and chairs in there. You constantly are moving the table away from the window for someone to sit behind so we gave that up a long time ago and I have my baker's rack with my microwave on it there now. So to make a large pantry and storage area of the dining room won't be a big deal.

I guess I better get going. I have a load of laundry in the dryer and need to get some cleaning done. Have a great day and stay warm. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #2  

Good Evening! The sun finally came out late this afternoon, in time to set. I had to take checks to the hospital this morning which turned out to be an adventure. The office is on the third floor using an out-of-the-way elevator that also is used by the OB department on second floor. I delivered the checks and when I got on the elevator to go back down, the door shut and nothing happened. To myself I said, "oh sh*t!" My purse and cell phone were in the car. So I read all the instructions and button labels trying to decide what to do next. At least the ceiling light stayed on. One button had the picture of a bell so I pushed it; it sounded like a buzzer. Pretty soon the door opened and an employee wanted to go down until I told her what had happened to me. We both took the stairs! I stopped by the main desk and told the receptionist what had happened. She said they had trouble with both elevators yesterday. That kind of excitement I can do without! Then I braved the grocery store and earned another 24 cents off a gallon of gas which is $2.78 today. After lunch I went to crafty club and ate a piece of pumpkin dessert that I really didn't want nor need. Dumb!

"Gma," thanks for starting the new thread. I hope all of your storage boxes and nail polish arrive in good shape and when they are supposed to. I have trouble visualizing how a room will look before it's done. Now we wish we would have added on another 10' but at the time didn't think we needed it. Now we could sure use it. Our living room has no wall space; built in shelves and stairs up and down on one wall, huge picture window on another wall, stupid fireplace on the third wall opposite the stairs, and a short wall sharing what used to be an opening to the dining room and is now the kitchen/tv area. There is no way to arrange furniture in front of the fireplace like in the movies.

Bob is at a church meeting tonight with a soup supper afterwards. Spouses weren't invited.

The weatherman just said we are supposed to get around 2 1/2" of snow, but I'm not sure when. Hope he's wrong -- I want winter to go away! Hope you all have had a good day and enjoy the evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #3  

Good morning to you gals. We are a cold 26 degrees this morning. My smilies don't work unless I know the code like the one for the laughing smilie. It is the only one I know. When I click on a smilie or the word more, the computer freezes up and doesn't load them so I give up trying to use them. I might be able to use them if I use my Ipad, I don't know but I hate typing out a post on my Ipad since I am usually such a windbag!

I finished the first snowman and it fits on the bubble vase just fine. I now have to get my buttons and felt and candy for it. I am going to start on the other one today or tomorrow I think.

We have to go pick up Jackson's video games at Target this afternoon so we are just going to go to Rafferty's for dinner for our anniversary as it is right in front of Target. Our 42nd anniversary is Tuesday and we try not to do stuff during the week unless we have to so we will go tonight.

I am still waiting to hear from the gal about my nail polish, but I got my storage boxes yesterday. I can't wait until after the first of the year so I can get going on getting stuff out of here and get stuff on shelving so it is cleaned up. My dining room looks like a hoarders house at the moment. I don't know how Maggie has room to store all those appliances of hers!

I talked to me sister this morning and she is housebound. South Bend got 12 1/2 inches of snow yesterday about 3 more today and more expected over the weekend. Since the city is on the east side of Lake Michigan, snow that comes across the lake is always a lot and heavy and they had lake effect snow yesterday and were caught with their pants down so to speak. The weather guys predicted flurries nothing else so they didn't get out and prepare the roads before hand and on top of that the plows were supposed to do leaf pick up and it takes 3 hours to change the trucks back to plows so by the time they realized the mess they had they had about 135 traffic accidents and the bypass and the toll road had to be closed. They also closed part of I94 so it is a mess up there this morning. I hate to say it but better them then us!

Jean: When I was in high school a group of us on a field trip got stuck in an elevator for a couple hours and one of the girls was claustrophobic. Whoa boy was that a mess. I finally convinced her to sit on the floor of the elevator and close her eyes and I talked to her about imagining other things and told her not to open her eyes for anything. It helped her out and the rest of us too because she really freaked out. You must have our living room. We don't have one solid wall. One wall has the fireplace and the closet under the stairs the next one the closet and the doorway into the front entrance hallway, the next one has large opening into the kitchen and the other one the door to the back and a huge picture window. Furniture does not fit in here very well especially where the cable outlet is for directtv and the phone outlet for the dsl. Our gas is $2.58 but part of that is because we have a refinery right here in town.

Well girls, you all have a nice weekend. It sure did go by fast. Thanksgiving will be on top of us in no time. Faye
Old 11-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #4  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and NO wind, but it's a cold day in my neighborhood. I went to get my nails done first thing this morning. Have a load in the washer and need to think of something for lunch. This afternoon I need to do the end of the week paperwork for the gift shop. I'll bring the money home and get it ready for the bank tomorrow.

"Gma," it was 3 degrees when I came downstairs this morning. It has warmed up to 14 with a high of 20 predicted for this afternoon. I have typed so much on my iPad I have trouble typing on a bigger keyboard now. I made a copy of the smilies but it's upstairs with the pc. I remember a few but none of the holidays. I saw that more snow was expected east of us, I know the states around the lakes can get a lot. We had really mild winters when we lived in Cleveland but lots of cloudy days and smog alerts. This weather has just been so weird.

Bob will be home for lunch soon so I need to get moving. Have a great day and enjoy!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is another chilly day here in the ♥-Land ~ wind chill is 6˚. Good thing we have a good heater in this house and the one in the Jeep also. We have winter clothing that will be worn more this year than last for sure,

I called a teckie about my newly required printer. I got it yesterday and it wouldn’t co-operate and hook up wireless remote. A wire didn’t come with it so we got one from the teckie shop here in town. I hooked it up by wire now and he said once I did that he could get the wireless working. I did everything the paperwork said and ran the CD and it still wouldn’t hook up so I let him do it for me. Well he couldn’t get it to work either then he did some further checking and decided that the problem was with the local phone company who we get our internet from. Will spent 2 and a half an hours on the phone with them and finally got the connection working properly.

I love it how those teckies can come into my computer and do stuff for me when things are working properly. This is a marvelous printer and does all that I need one to do. My other printer was by the same company and did fine back here in my office so this newer model would also you would think. But after the phone guy did his magic I decided to hook up my new computer and it worked like a charm and I have it working remotely. I called the teckie in China and told him not to bother calling me tomorrow for I had fixed the problem.

JEAN If we lived closer you culd paint my nails in holiday designs.

DONNA FAYE Can't you just click on the "more" under the smilies that show where we post and open the others for you don't have to know the codes that way. That is sure a lot of snow to fall this time of year.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's snowing here and I'm guessing close to 3" by now. We had a meeting, with area Methodist churches, this morning. The church conference treasurer came up from Des Moines and in my humble opinion he wanted us to decide how to fix the problems of dropping membership and lack of giving to support the conference. I went because I'm on the Admn. Council and Bob is the church lay leader which has no "job" description. Guess he's the go-to guy in a pinch. He does replace light bulbs in the sanctuary. I've vacuumed and have a load of laundry I need to put in the dryer.

Maggie, glad you were able to get help so your new printer is up and running like it is supposed to. I hate when things aren't simple and easy.

It looks like the snow is getting lighter so I think I will clear off the deck and feed the squirrels. My little one with the broken tail has come back. He sits right in the trough to eat, fun to watch. Hope you all enjoy your evening!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. It is chilly again but not as cold as you all. I just plain don't like cold weather anymore. I always feel stiff and sore no matter how much moving around I do. I will not walk even in my complex now as last week a nice guy driving down the main street here in front of the complex saw a lady with heavy bags walking, pulled over and said he would give her a ride home, took her to a condo here in the complex, she went in the house and ask him to wait, came back out and ask him if he would get out and help her with the bags, he did and at least one guy came out with a gun and beat him up and robbed him. This street is very close to where we live. It is scary to think we have that kind of trash here. They arrested the guy right away I guess but still.

Finished my first snowman and have started the second one. I still have to get Thomas's toe in his second sock, but I did it differently than normal so I have to be a bit more careful and read my directions.

Today is Kelly's 37th birthday. I know she and Tom went out on Friday night for her bday but don't know if she has other plans today. I have her gift, but don't know when she is going to get it because they have their calendar filled up for the next few weeks. She may not get it until Christmas.

My surgeon's office moved my apt up to tomorrow then Friday I have that biopsy. I don't know about my breast surgeon as their office has voicemail only for appts and I called and no one called me back. I am not chasing them down and either they call me or I don't go. If the nurse calls back she will get an earful about it as I called and it isn't my fault if no one called me back.

Maggie: When I click on "more" it brings up the smilie screen but all the smilies are frozen and they don't ever load so you can't put them on anything. It eventually times out. Dealing with phone companies nowadays is a nightmare, partly because half the time you get someone from some country with thick accents you can't even understand. We have had our wireless printer several years and it has never worked properly no matter what we did so we gave up and just connected it to the pc.

Jean: As usual, the bottom line is $$. If your churches own membership and giving is not as high as it used to be, how are you supposed to increase it for the conference? Sounds like Bob has an extremely important lay job, especially if your church has high ceilings where he has to get up on those really tall ladders.

I need to figure out what I am going to wear to the dr's tomorrow. I can't wear jeans as he has me pull my pants and undies down over my belly so he can look at it and if I wear jeans I have to take them off and I am not going to mess with that. I have a pair of white pants I think I will wear with my purple sweater. They have an elastic waist.

Everyone have a good Sunday. Faye
Old 11-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and the 3" of snow has covered the leaves. It was 2 degrees when I came downstairs this morning but has warmed up to 10. Tomorrow night is supposed to be -12! Bob sang at church this morning and we had to serve coffee between services. I was surprised that so many showed up because we are in a winter advisory until tomorrow morning. I guess the country roads are bad because of the wind last night. A meatloaf is in the oven and has another half hour or so to bake. After we eat I need to clean bathrooms -- can't believe I would do that on a Sunday but they are getting pretty grubby.

"Gma," what a scary thing to happen in your neighborhood! But in the same thought, I don't think I would offer anyone a ride in this day and age. Will the "good" guy be all right? How many snowmen are you making? to Kelly! I hope you get the call from the doctor's office. It seems like every business has the recording for menu choices, and I just don't like that. Our nurse's voice mail says that it could be around 5 before we will be called back; she asks for a brief message so she can have us up on the computer when she calls. I must say if I call before 9 she calls back before 1, usually sooner. She probably knows when I call I really need something. Bob replaces the church spot lights by going up in the attic above the sanctuary, and they pull up there. The hanging lights roll down so he can stand on the floor to change those. The wall lights do need a ladder and the men's club that meets one Saturday a month change those as well as lights in the office and Sunday School rooms, etc. Bob can go to any and all meetings as needed; usually he just relays messages and concerns from one group to the next.

Dinner should be about ready. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing day in sunshine if not warm temperatures!
Old 11-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #9  

Good morning for a few minutes longer. Went to my surgeon and I have a stoma underneath the incision and he may have to aspirate it but he wants to wait and see if it goes away. He sees me again in 3 weeks.

I haven't had any spotting issues since being in the hospital and now that I have an apt to go into the dr's and have the biopsy it has started up again, which makes it hard for him to get a sample so he ends up trying over and over. It is painful and causing bad cramping so am not looking forward to it but it isn't his fault. If there is a lot of blood and mucus in the uterus it is hard to get a good sample because it is hard to see I guess. He tells me I am a trooper and don't ever complain, but what am I going to do, whack him in the face with my foot?

We had very cold temps overnight and it was wet but it thank goodness the roads didn't freeze. It is going to get really cold tonight in the teens so am not looking forward to that, but what can you do? It is supposed to be upper 50's by the weekend. I heard it was going to be 75 in Va Beach today so I imagine Susan is enjoying the warm weather.

Jean: I am fixing hamburger gravy tonight. I needed something quick for dinner since I have the car. We put it over bread and mashed potatoes sort of like hot roast beef sandwiches. I cut out the bread and I have biscuits for Jack tonight. They haven't said how he is. The blacks on the street I live on are very good to us, but I guess we have some baddies living in the complex too. I am making one snowman for Kelly's family and one for Jay's. I am putting candy and restaurant gift cards in them for Christmas. I got a coupon for buy 3 candles get one free but they wanted $24 apiece for candles the size you get in the store, like the Glade ones so phooey on that. They did have some great Christmas fragrances though.

Hope everyone has a great week. Faye
Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! It's another cold day here and the wind continues to blow the snow around. Our advisory ends at 6 pm tonight. I hope so because the hostess for card club lives in a little town five miles away. Money at church balanced the first time so that was good. I ran some errands and left the car running while I ran in and out of stores. Love that remote start when it's so cold!

"Gma," I hope the stoma will disappear on its own. You sure have had more than your fair share with medical challenges. I think restaurant gift cards are a good idea! I'm thinking of giving those to the grandkids for their favorite restaurants. We learned not to give them a choice when we are treating, as everyone wants to go to a different place. I think we are having leftover meatloaf for supper tonight. I know I will have snacks at card club so may not eat at all.

I need to drop off some paperwork for the gift shop so better get going.
Hope you are all "warm" and enjoying your day!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. It is cold cold here this morning and not going to warm up much today, but by Saturday they are calling for near 70 so let's get to the weekend!

I did my thing at the doctor's (I still have the stoma as he calls it, but have to go back and see him in three weeks to see if it has disappeared as he doesn't want to aspirate it if he doesn't have to) then went and got my nails done, got some lunch and came home. Stayed home until I went and picked up Jack and we came home and stayed in for the night.

Today is our 42nd anniversary but we celebrated last Friday. Jack took me to Rafferty's for prime rib and it was wonderful. They have these great salads that I love and great cheesecake. All around it was great and I even got a couple bites of cheesecake.

I have a load of laundry I heard just stopped so will stick it in the dryer when I get done here and start housecleaning. It needs a good scrubbing so I hope I hold up! The female stuff has raised its ugly head and makes me crampy and shaky but I have to get the downstairs cleaned today no matter what.

Jean: Do you have very much snow? I bought Jay and Alicia Red Robin cards and I have to think about Kelly and Tom as they eat out all the time and she likes all the local restaurants versus chain ones. I may just get them Red Robin too as I know they like it. Hope you can stay warm today.

Everyone have a nice Tuesday. I am off to put clothes in the dryer and get some breakfast before tackling this dirty house. Faye
Old 11-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! The sun is playing hide 'n seek behind big puffy clouds today. It has warmed up to 24, not sure what the high is supposed to be for the day. This morning was my coffee date with my friend who heads to Mayo on Thursday to begin her radiation treatments. Bob was home early for lunch and now I need to put together gift ideas for Christmas. No one has given me very many suggestions. I think we are heading to Sioux City on Friday to get started on the list. I will check WM first, just in case I can find something here.

"Gma," Happy Anniversary! I'm glad you got to celebrate with prime rib and cheesecake. Laundry and cleaning do not sound like a fun way to spend your anniversary. What kind of weather did you have the day you were married? Bob thought we got 2 1/2-3" of snow, and then just a dusting over night. The wind blew so much some areas are not as deep as others. I keep hoping for a thaw but doesn't sound like it's going to warm up any time soon.

I just thought of something else to add to my WM list, so better go write it down before I forget it. Hope you all enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN NOVEMBER MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

All that skiff of snow we got is now gone and it has warmed up to the mid 40˚s. Such a nice day Will decided to wash the Jeep since the wind isn’t blowing, it looks so good after it has a bath. We have a few more things we want to get done to it but that will come in time.

Even though we have been invited to Texas for Christmas we are still making up our minds if we want to go there or stay home. I think we will probably end up staying home. Will will be over getting his chemo treatments and recuperating. I am so glad for him that they give him some meds that keep him from getting nauseated. If we do end up staying home we will go to I-Hop to eat a Christmas meal. I don’t want to cook then have to deal with the left-over’s since I am eating only one meal and having my nutritious drink for the other meals. BTW I am losing ever so slowly which is my bodies’ way. I wish it would lose faster but if wishes were horses than beggars would ride. Our Christmas presents are agreed upon for our list of things for the Jeep and MH. Gracious we have everything we need otherwise.

The trash man is going to love me this go round for I threw away a ton of catalogs. I get so many that I have never ordered from wanting my business. Those companies share names of the consumers. I got one today called “The Peanut Shop” and I don’t even eat them. My main squeeze likes them so maybe he will like this catalogue. The Butter Toffee Peanuts sound good though. They also have other kinds of nuts.

DONNA FAYE on your Anniversary. I hope you have many more.

JEAN It is nice you can leave your car running while you are in a store and no one drives off with it. You wouldn't dare do that out in CA.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #14  

Maggie, I have remote start so can lock the car when I get out, and then restart it. One can't leave an unlocked car running in this town either. It'd either be on the way back to Chicago or back to relatives "down south." The dealership who leased cars has quit doing that because they were used for transporting drugs and trashed when stopped and searched. Wonderful diverse town we have become . . . . . NOT! Diverse, yes, wonderful, NO!
Old 11-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #15  

Good Morning! It's a cloudy warmer morning at 25 degrees right now. The wind is blowing and lazy snowflakes are falling. I'm dressed, scooped the cat boxes, and fed the squirrels. Think a casserole of some sort is on tap for lunch. Will have to see what's available in the cupboard. I have bell practice later this afternoon and need to spend time in my bedroom. I think the dust grows overnight!

The SAMs card, for a short time, was a Discover card, and recently changed to a MasterCard. We got a bill yesterday, for $40, charged at a local convenience store. Bob doesn't carry the card and I've never been in there since Beth was little and playing softball. The owner was the team sponsor and treated the girls to ice cream cones after the game. I carry the card but only use it at SAMs. Bob called to find out what was charged, and was told to pay the bill while they started the investigation process. I was telling Beth about it last night, and she had just helped a customer who lived in California. He had paid the balance the week before and tried to use the card just before calling Beth. His charge was denied because the card was maxed out. Beth could pull up the charges and they were all the same day, in various stores, in New York City. In that case she put a block on the card and issued him a new one. She said somehow, when you swipe your own card, the numbers can be traced and copied to a new card, then is sold on the black market. Be aware and be careful! We are going to call and check our balance in a few days to see if there are more charges.

Maggie, I am getting catalogs from places I have never heard of, let alone bought anything. Lots of nice clothes, furnishings, and gadgets but nothing has caught my eye yet.

I had better keep moving or I won't get anything done this morning.