3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups

Steel Magnolias ~ #89

Old 08-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias ~ #89

GOOD AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is another hot day here in the ♥-Land but it is still summer so it is expected.

I will take Will into the hospital tomorrow morning at 7 am so they can get him all prepped to insert that pick line thingie in behind his collar bone so they can give him his chemo treatments through it. We haven’t yet been told just how many treatments he is to have. Since he is currently cancer free it probably won’t be very many treatments to kill some suspicious cells that may be lurking in there. Hallelujah he is cancer free but the chemo treatments are just a precaution.

Not much out of the ordinary going on around here. I am still gathering up the necessary supplies for my doll making enterprise and just am waiting for some specialized color pencils that the local folks at the office supply place have on order for me. I like to have all my ducks in a row before I start a project.

DONNA FAYE on your weight loss. That blanket is adorable and I am sure the person you made it for will love it.

JEAN Sounds like that secretary has a screw loose somewhere that you have to tighten up for her occasionally. Good thing you check and re-check things like you do.

SUSAN Sounds like you are in for some weather. Stay safe.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN
SUCCESS OCCURS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION

REMEMBER THAT
A SETBACK IS ONLY A SETUP FOR A COMEBACK

Last edited by Maggie : 08-25-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

Maggie, thanks for starting the new thread. I hope all goes well for Will's treatments. I'm sure the dolls will be a fun project for you. It has clouded over and cooled down some more. The Sioux City weatherman just said it is raining there.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #3

Good morning to you girls. I turned off the ac, but I doubt it will remain off too long. We are still looking at high 90's all this week for temps.

I did get the vacuuming done yesterday but that was it. Something upset my stomach pretty badly and I felt sick all day. It must have been something I ate on Sunday evening. I am fine now.

I am starting on Jackson's socks today. I had Thomas's one sock finished except to sew up toe and had Jack try it on. I felt the ankle was too loose so tore the whole thing out and am going to make the ankle just a bit smaller then increase the stitches to make the rest of the sock. I don't want it baggy around the ankle and it rub when he is running since they are ankle socks.

Maggie: Hope Will has good success with the chemo.

Jean: Boy that secretary is a pip. I am sure it drives you nuts for her to be so disorganized and basically causing you all so much more work. Sure hope your last weekend at the cabin is warm and sunny and enjoyable. This is our last commissary weekend before the cruise. Since the next one is only a few days before we leave we are not going to shop except to get us a few things to tide us over. I don't want to be throwing out a bunch of produce, bread, milk etc before we go. Can't believe we are finally winding down to it.

You gals have a wonderful day. I am going to tackle the mopping first thing this morning before it gets too hot. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Good Morning! It's a cloudy cool morning in my corner of the world. The weatherman says it's going to rain, but he said that yesterday and it didn't happen. I am home today! I need to make a food list for the weekend and clean out the fridge. Also have laundry waiting and fur bunnies to vacuum.

"Gma," glad you feel better today! Saturday is the only day in the weekend without rain in our forecast. It will be the revolving door at the cabin this weekend. Ian has football practice late Sunday afternoon (grr!) so they will come Friday night and leave after lunch on Sunday. Beth has to work Friday night (grr!) so they will come Saturday and head home on Monday. We are celebrating Maddy's birthday, a couple weeks late, on Saturday. I'm sure the time has seemed to take forever, but it seems like you just started planning for this cruise vacation.

Guess I had better get busy if I want to accomplish anything this morning! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Good morning to you all. Sameo weather, hot and sticky and we are expecting a lot of rain this week too. Seems like it always wants to rain on commissary weekend.

I am going to call later and find out if the Walmart vision center will be open on Monday. If so, I am going to wait until Monday to get my nails done and then just pick up my contacts then. I only buy my insurance allowance from them because their prices are higher than online. I paid $46 a box on line and another 15% discount on top of that and free shipping. They should be here tomorrow. With Walmart, I paid $60 a box plus fitting fee, which means I was able to buy a box for each eye, which lasts 6 months if none of them tear. I have a $150 allowance, but they charge me a $35 fitting fee so I only have $120 towards the contacts themselves.

I have started on Jackson's socks and am almost done with the leg on the first one. They are certainly bright colors. I have to make sure and block the color when they are done as I don't know if the lady that makes the yarn does that or not. They baby yarn should be here tomorrow so I will stop with Jackson's socks and get the baby socks done as her shower is October 4 in Indiana I surmise as my dil's house. I will wrap them and get a card and ship the whole thing to her so she can have them at her shower. The baby socks will only take a day or so as they are newborn.

I bought some expensive dry shampoo to take to the hospital. I got it yesterday. I sure hope it works. I hate nasty hair and it always seems that I can't shower when I am in the hospital. Like I said before, this last time I actually washed it in the little sink.

Jean: Sounds like a revolving door weekend at the cabin. Hope everyone has a nice time though. I need to put some baking soda in the freezer. It has a spoiled milk smell and I can't figure out where it is coming from. I checked everything in the fridge and nothing is spoiled in it. I have been wracking my brain to think whether or not the smell came before or after our electricity was off all day. I didn't open the refrigerator much, just a couple times so nothing got hot or defrosted so who knows?

Everyone have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #6

Good Afternoon! It's another cool cloudy day in my corner of the world. This was my morning to work in the gift shop, and I even sold a few things. Bob came for lunch in the coffee shop and then I took him to pick up his tractor that he had painted. I'm home for the rest of the day, I think. I could do some more laundry but sure don't feel like starting any big projects now.

"Gma," we have had rain predicted for several days but nothing so far, except lightning at night. Most likely it will rain all weekend. I hope your weather cools down soon. It doesn't seem possible August is almost gone. This summer really flew by too fast. Fall must be closing in as a few trees are starting to drop their leaves. We've had hummingbirds for a week and the orioles showed up yesterday. The hummingbirds are a scrappy bunch for some reason. They weren't like that this spring but we didn't have so many flitting in and out either. They dive bomb each other and are fun to watch.

I need to change clothes and unload the dishwasher. That will be my effort for the afternoon. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday wherever you are and whatever you are doing today. Enjoy!

Last edited by Jean : 08-27-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #7

Good morning to you all. Another hot day, but so far, like Jean, no rain. They have been predicting it all week but nothing so far.

I am halfway done with the foot on Jackson's sock so am buzzing right along. I keep being worried about having enough yarn though it said it is 400+ feet so should be plenty for kids socks. I am going to cut Thomas's ankle down 4-6 stitches to make the ankle a bit tighter without making it difficult to get over his foot when I start it. The baby yarn should be here today so I can get those itty bitty baby socks done. I will have quite a bit of yarn left since I bought a skein of each color, but I am sure I will find a use for it.

I paid all the bills this morning and will do countertop and appliance cleaning this morning then I will be done for the day. I did a load of laundry yesterday and then another load last evening because Jack missed the uniform guy and needed uniform pants washed to get through next week until he comes again. I use those pod things and I stuck two in to wash those pants. The stench of the plant on them is horrible, but when they came out of the washer they smelled just like Gain!

I have a ton of stuff coming either by mail or UPS today. We order this thing that fits in the cup holder and gives you USB connections to plug in phones, Ipads, the GPS stuff like that. We have a cigarette lighter that has two on it, but this one has 7 combined so it will fit all of them. Since we have 4 cup holders, two between the drivers and two between the seats we can sit it in one of the seat ones and still plug it in to the cigarette lighter. My Ipad has internet data ability, but Jack doesn't. We figured why pay for both of them when only one of us can use one in the car as the other person is driving. In hotels and such they have free wifi so Jack's works in those and such.

Jean: The hospital I go to has a lousy gift shop, but they do have a whole vending machine room where you can buy food of all kinds, sandwiches, soups, candy, chips, drinks, etc. They have rotten cafeteria hours and the cafeteria has just ok food. They have yummy mac and cheese though and this to die for red velvet cheesecake. (I filched a couple tastes of Jack's when I was in the hospital and supposed to be on clear liquids! I was starving after 4 days with no food. ) Did Bob get it painted red?? Our cicadas have been really, really noisy here the last week. Don't know what that means, but I am sure it means something. They are such huge ugly things and I imagine I will find some out on the deck dead as I usually do when they make a lot of noise.

You all have a nice day. Keep plugging along. Hope you all are going to have a nice holiday weekend! Faye
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #8

Good Morning! We got up to rain, rain, and more rain. I guess the weatherman was serious last night. I needed to run some errands this morning and left when the rain let up. Five minutes later, as I'm driving down the street it is pouring but I kept going anyway. Sonny was about out of his diet food, which I don't think is working but we keep trying. We are supposed to go to soccer games this afternoon, and pick up the kids at 4:30 from the sitter. I'm betting they won't play since they got rain yesterday and again today, but maybe they will. Also need to stop at SAM's for a few things and want to stop and see our friends.

"Gma," I will share some rain! They are predicting 3" for here. In driving downtown on the "new" street, water is standing along the curbs and not running to the sewer drains. That could be a problem imo. You are a whiz at knitting socks! Do you even have to look at a pattern? Hope all of your things get delivered today. When our hospital remodel/addition job is done the coffee shop and gift shop will be located on the back side of the hospital, close to the cafeteria. The main entrance where they are now will be the emergency room entrance which is now located in back close to the helipad, and in turn will be moved closer to the front of the building. The employees contributed money towards a garden setting off the cafeteria which has tables, benches, flowers, plants, and garden statues. It will be removed and employees are upset about that. Employees and visitors often eat out there or just go there for a break. Makes no sense to me to get rid of it.

Guess I should be thinking about lunch fixings. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #9
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Not much happening around here these days. Beanie was playing with a turtle that came into our yard and it was so cute for he would bark and lunge at it and it would draw its head back into the shell. He didn’t hurt it and pretty soon the turtle wandered off under some things under Will’s work bench in the patio. We should get some turtle food and feed it.

Since Will has agreed to be in a national study of cancer survival folks we won’t be leaving here full-timing in our RV as planned. We will opt for nice vacations though. The 6 months of treatment was an arbitrary picked number and the doctors don’t really know if it takes that long for chemo treatments to be effective. The study will see if 3 months will work. They have found that Celebrex inhibits cancer cells from growing and will do a blind study. I used to take that med for my authorities in my knee but the med company we have to use now that won the contract won’t supply it and I have a different med. This will be very helpful to the doctors and a worthy study done all around the world. Will can’t start the study until the place where they made the small slit in his stomach heals for it is still draining a bit. I am his nurse and change the soft gauze pads regularly and every day the drainage is smaller so maybe it will stop within the two weeks it is before his Chemo treatments are due to start. His blood count has to be up and the drainage stopped before they can give him his treatment.

I have gotten the materials that I will need now to get started making a doll. Now I need to clean out this room of the glass which is in racks along one wall and the grinder and other items that are on my table. I plan on tackling that job this afternoon. I will take all my glass works that I will be selling to the consignment place and let that gentleman sell them. By the time we hit the road, if we ever do now, I will have made a few dolls.

When Will gets to feeling better we will bring the MH home and we can load all the items we have purchased for it into their proper place. There are a few things now I will have to “borrow” from the house when we do take a trip.

JEAN I certainly do hope the soccer field isn't too soggy and the rain lets up and the kids can play.

DONNA FAYE The smell of Gain is much more pleasant than the shop smell on those pants for sure. Graceous sakes you plug a lot of stuff into your vehicle, but if you do how neat they make those cup holders with all those ports.

Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

DOWN THE ROAD TO THIN
SUCCESS OCCURS WHEN OPPORTUNITY MEETS PREPARATION

REMEMBER THAT
A SETBACK IS ONLY A SETUP FOR A COMEBACK

Last edited by Maggie : Yesterday at 01:07 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #10

Good evening, ladies! A nice 83 degrees right now. It was 89 this afternoon. More rain on tap for the weekend but the hurricane has turned far out to sea.

There are men digging at the edge of my backyard - telephone and cable tv both. At least both boxes are open. They are replacing a large cable or - I hope - finally installing FIOS.

The Y closes tonight and will not reopen until Tuesday. It's time for the semi-annual cleaning and floor refinishing. I will be walking and doing my yoga and pilates dvds.

Faye, the delivery drivers must surely know the way to your door blind folded! I hated it when Stan missed the uniform man because there is nothing that takes that smell of grease out of uniforms.

Jean, is there no room to relocate the garden, too? It's a shame to lose it.

Maggie, that's a very good thing Will is doing. I'm sorry it's messing with your RV plans, though. I hope you can post some pictures when you get the dolls made.

Have a wonderful evening!

HW 356 pounds - CW 138 - GW 130

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Forget Yesterday. I am, where I am. I know where I could have been, had I done what I did not do. Tell me, Friend, what I can do today, to be where I want to be tomorrow. - Sigrad
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.