3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias -- #87 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/298315-steel-magnolias-87-a.html)

Jean 08-02-2014 09:32 AM

Steel Magnolias -- #87

Good Morning! It's another beautiful sunny morning in my neighborhood. I have cat chores this morning and the usual laundry waiting. This afternoon we are heading up to the lake, but not to our place. Every fall the county board from Bob's office hosts a bar-b-q in a country park. One of the new board members has a year around home at the lake and is hosting the group this time. The couple belongs to our church and over the years has had many gatherings, so we have been there before. They are at the opposite end, and on the east lake so it is a totally different atmosphere for us to enjoy.

Maggie, I really enjoy watching the birds who come to our feeders and also the deck. The orphan cat has been here for breakfast and is gone again so the birds have moved in. We have three adult doves, and they are sure scrappy towards the other birds and squirrels. I think the cat food eating robin has moved on as I haven't seen him for a few days. I'm sure you have said, but what kind of dolls are you going to make? I have lots more sorting to do! Stuff accumulates too fast! :rolleyes:

I need to get dressed and get busy. Hope you all enjoy a nice day! :wave:

QuilterInVA 08-02-2014 10:42 AM

Good morning, ladies! A nice 72 degrees but rainy again today. We had a much needed all day soaking rain yesterday.

I'm re-arranging furniture today. I'm getting rid of the computer desk I have and also the printer stand, some books, kitchen stuff. Disabled American Vets pick up on Monday so want to have plenty for them and open up some more space in my house.

Faye, I hope Jack is feeling better today.

Jean, I love watching the birds, too, and so does Casper - only he'd like to catch a few.

Maggie, making dolls should be a lot of fun and very lucrative.

Have a wonderful day!

Jean 08-03-2014 09:09 AM

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it looks like it's going to be another beautiful day. Church, cat chores, laundry, and more sorting are on my agenda for today. Our internet has been off and on for a couple days so I called tech support yesterday. It seems we need a new modem which we currently rent for $7 a month. The tech suggested buying our own; when I asked if there was a preference as to brand or source, he said Best Buy or some place like that. He laughed when I said the only place where we live is WM. Then he said I could also order one online. Guess we will be modem shopping either in Sioux City or Sioux Falls the first chance we get.

Susan, we could use a day of gentle rain and showers are in the forecast but a very low % which usually means it won't happen. I could/should get rid of some furniture as Bob thinks he needs a desk of some sort when he officially retires. I need to replace the love seat where the tv is; Bob tries to lay down and has a dent in both arm rests. :( From day one it has been the most uncomfortable thing to sit in. I really have to be in the mood to furniture shop so maybe after harvest. :dunno:

I hear Bob in the shower so time to make the coffee. Hope you all enjoy a nice day! :wave:

Jean 08-04-2014 01:00 PM

Good Morning! It was cool this morning but it is heating up and the humidity is rising. Still no rain even though it's been in the forecast. Church counting turned out to be a challenge; we balanced but then my part got "lost." I had everything entered in the computer and was set to hit the post button when I realized I was $9 short. I had printed the reports so went back and double checked each entry. I had entered a $1 instead of $10 for one giver. Normally simple to correct but I couldn't get back to the main screen to fix it. The secretary had to reverse the entries since I don't know how, and lost everything. I'm just glad it was a fairly light giving Sunday! Our main street, going into town, has been under construction all summer and is now closed from where we would get "on" and past the hospital. There is supposed to be room for homeowners and the ambulance to get where they need to go. So I went to the other side of the hospital and there were six of us driving up and down looking for a parking spot. I decided to skip picking up the money and came home! I suppose Monday is extra busy for the clinic as well as the hospital. I will do cat chores after lunch and get the money later in the week.

It is kind of lonely here lately! :twirly:

Bob will home for lunch shortly so have hamburgers ready for the grill, sweet corn, and fresh cucumbers. Yum! Hope you all enjoy a nice day! :wave:

Maggie 08-04-2014 04:25 PM

GOOD AFTERNOON IN AUGUST MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Today has been a busy day for us here. The dogs are now back from the groomer and we are home for the duration of the day.

Will has to clean out his system today for he gets to see the doctor for his session tomorrow. Incidentally are you folks aware of what he has is experienced by ½ million people a year and men get it twice as much as women do and we all need to be checked regularly. I hope y’all are getting your regular checks and your husbands get theirs also.

JEAN Your meal sounds wonderful for I love burgers cooked on the grill. Wonder why they made that program so you couldn't simply just change a number.
Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Jean 08-05-2014 08:26 AM

Good Morning! It's cloudy and cool here this morning, so maybe the rain will come. We are meeting Amanda's sister to pick up Ian and take him back home for football practice. Will come home through Sioux City and visit with Beth and family. Maddy and Kolby have been picking up walnuts in their yard for our squirrels. We will have happy squirrels! Best Buy is on the agenda to purchase a new modem, and Target to return a duplicate gift item.

Maggie, thinking of you and Will. Hope the surgery goes as planned and he is on the mend. I think the glitch yesterday was that there is a three step process to exit the program, and I had completed/printed two. :dunno:

I need to get dressed and get rid of the counter pile. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday today! :wave:

QuilterInVA 08-05-2014 08:48 AM

Good morning, ladies! Another rainy day in the 70s today. I hope it holds off while I'm grocery shopping (senior discount day today) after I go to the Y this morning.

I had my bone density and mammogram yesterday afternoon. I wish all tests could be like the bone density. I'm anxious to see the results from that for it will determine if I have to go back on medication for that or not.

Being retired is great for I have all my house work done for the week and can play - that means quilt.

Jean, I used to teach computerized accounting when pcs first came out. It sounds like it hasn't improved much.

Maggie, prayers going up for a successful surgery for Will and a quick recovery.

Have a great day!

Maggie 08-05-2014 01:04 PM

The surgeon just called me to say that all went well with the operation on Will. I was so pleased that he called for I didn’t expect him to call me personally. What a nice doctor. Will doesn’t want any visitors today but me so I will go in later this day and take him some things he wants me to take to him which he has packed in a back pack. The dogs sure miss him and Cecil could care less. :lol: Thank you Magnolias for all your nice thoughts and prayers for him.

gma22 08-05-2014 03:11 PM

Good afternoon gals. Well I spent the last 5 days in hospital! I just got home about an hour ago. I am fine. I had horrendous pain last Friday afternoon and Jack took me to the emergency room. I had two shots of morphine, 2 of dilaudid and nothing eased the pain. I have never felt anything like that in my life and it lasted 5 hours before I finally got relief. They did a cat scan and thought I had a bowel blockage, but the next day I had xrays and every day since and there is nothing there and the doctors don't feel anything either so I got to come home. Dr Wheat, my surgeon from my previous surgeries thinks it was adhesions on my intestines and unfortunately it can rear its ugly head again. He also found a hernia so after the cruise I have to go back in for surgery on it. The hyperplasia wreaked havoc while I was in the hospital too so had to wear pads. Ugh, I am glad to be home and feeling fine.

Jack is fine and went back to work on Monday. I told him to as I was fine by then and no sense in him having to take time off work.

I will do individual posts tomorrow. Right now I am pooped and trying to get my house back in order and get laundry done.

Faye

Jean 08-05-2014 03:59 PM

Susan, I get to do the mammogram and bone density dance :dancer: next week. Don't know if it's Medicare, or not, but have to have the doctor call in the order first, then I can make the appt. We have a 3D state of the art machine which I missed by a week last year. No way could I ever be an accountant! Kudos to you!

Maggie, glad th surgery is over and went well. Somehow animals sense when things aren't right in their world. :yes:

"Gma," so glad you are home and feeling better! :cp: Take a nap!

QuilterInVA 08-05-2014 06:51 PM

Jean, it isn't Medicare that requires your doc to make the appointment because mine gave me the order and I called my hospital of choice. I was in, filled out paper work, hand my palm print stored and that will be used for future check ins, had the test and was on my way home in 45 minutes. Mary Immaculate Hospital where I go has the digital mammogram.

Maggie, I'm glad Will's surgery went well and hope he'll have a quick recovery.

Faye, I've had intestinal blockage and the only thing I could think of was I hoped to die soon for the pain was so bad. I have a tiny hernia and have had it for 20 years and it hasn't gotten any bigger so the doc just watches it.
I'm so glad you're feeling better now and that this didn't happen on your cruise!

gma22 08-06-2014 09:16 AM

Good morning gals. I am hard at work already. I am cleaning the downstairs, did two loads of laundry when I got home last night so that is done for another day, am experimenting with a converted regular recipe for banana muffins into a low car sf recipe that has a cream cheese filling in the center for 4 pts each. I will let you know whether they turn out ok or not. My one splurge was using real butter. I am using truvia in place of sugar and whole wheat flour instead of white. I am using whipped cream cheese instead or regular or lite as it is less calories too. I am using regular eggs in this recipe instead of egg substitute because it needs a little richness where I took it away and would only lower the pts 1 I think. I am not sure how this will work so hang onto your hats. I am not a food "designer" so we shall see. :lol: I am going to use up my older cleaned blueberries and make more blueberry biscuits and freeze them using wheat flour this time too. My fruit that I bought on Friday went belly up for the most part. I had to throw out a whole large box of strawberries that molded while I was in the hospital and my brown bagged fruit is now overripe, but I am going to try and see about using it in smoothies or something. I heard you can peel ripe bananas and freeze them so am going to take the extras and freeze them for another time. I had just bought bananas on the Friday when I had to go in to the hospital and came home and they were ripe, ripe, ripe! I have part of the house cleaned now and am also working on this adorable newborn hat for my dil's sister who is having a baby in November. Busy, busy, but I like that.

I am down 1.2 lbs for the week which is ok by me. I have lost 8 lbs since going to the doctor's 3 weeks ago so she should be pleased and my blood sugar is really good too. All things considered I am good.

Well we figured out what is wrong with our garage door. There is a beam thing that goes across the door itself and it broke so we can't even get into the garage now and Jack had to park on the side street last night. Our little guy that works on our garage will be over on Saturday to fix it and it is going to cost us about $150 dollars or so. Sheesh keeps eating into my vacation fund. :lol: I just worry about Jack walking to the suv in the morning and night as they have welded the gate closed you used to be able to walk through into the complex so he has to walk about half a block around to the front and then half a block to our condo. The heat is oppressive again so I do worry about him, mostly getting mugged! God is just going to have to protect him so will put it in his hands.

Our family seems to be catastrophe central this week. Besides me, my nephew has to have cataract surgery this morning and his little boy, who is 5 is having his tonsils out. They have 6 kids so I am sure Kelly his wife is harried. Also my brother fell yesterday and broke his hip at the library of all places so has to have surgery and he is a brittle diabetic so it will be a challenge.

Susan: Thank you for the info about your hernia it makes me less anxious about going on vacation. Hope you are doing well and glad your mammo came out ok. I have mine the first week in November and they will do a sonogram with it as I had that surgery in February for the calcium deposits and they want to make sure they haven't returned.

Maggie: Hope Will rested comfortably and is doing ok.

Jean: When do your grandkids go back to school? I guess Thomas really likes his new high school even though he doesn't know a soul. Jackson starts 2nd grade in about 2 weeks or so I guess. Hope all is going on well with you. You would get a laugh out with me at the hospital. I have been there so many times everyone knows me. I would go to xray and they would know me, get blood drawn and the phlebotomists knew me, the CNA and nurses. I told them I should have some kind of rewards card or a hospital suite or something since I have been there so much. I found out they actually have a surgical suite for vips though. :lol: Guess the mayor could hang his butt out with us peons if he was up there.

Everyone have a great day. I am off to make magic with banana muffins! Faye

Jean 08-06-2014 04:53 PM

Good Afternoon! It has been raining all day, and we need it so it is welcome. I kept thinking it would quit but finally gave up and ran a few errands this morning. The "road closed" is still posted going into town. Since it was raining I decided to at least try it to the hospital and see what the rest of the street looked like. There is another section blocked off further from the hospital, then it's open on into downtown except for the closed signs. Not a piece of equipment in sight. They need to paint the center line but it looks pretty much done to me. They promised to have it finished by the time school starts on the 25th. We have a pot luck supper tonight and I made a salad which I'm not too sure about but I had a smiley face on the recipe. If no one eats it, I will pitch the recipe!

Bob has a client who had a bad accident at a gravel intersection yesterday. He didn't have his seat belt on (stupid!) and was thrown out after his pickup rolled several times. His back is broken but no injury to the spinal cord. He's had surgery to fuse vertebra and now waiting for the swelling to go down, then will be fitted with a brace. He has no feeling in his legs which they say will come back. After he is stable, he will be going to Lincoln or Denver for extensive rehab. He's a farmer but has brothers and close neighbors who will most likely step in and do the harvest.

Susan, last year was the first year I had to have a doctor's order before making my appointment. This time when I called to make the appointment I said I knew it was in August last year but didn't remember the date. The receptionist said that with Medicare it didn't have to be a year in between, but could be in the same month. When Bob had his physical, his doctor told him it wouldn't be billed as a physical because Medicare wouldn't pay on it. I think someone must sit up nights changing the rules. :)

"Gma," sounds like things are back to normal if you are cleaning up a storm! ;) Banana muffins sound good! Yum! Congrats on another loss! You are doing great! Maddy and Kolby start school the 18th. They picked up walnuts for our squirrels, and we stopped there on our way home last night to get them. I wanted Maddy to have her birthday clothes in time for school in case they didn't fit or she didn't like them. Beth was marking each pencil and crayon with their names -- everything has to be marked. Ian and Zowie start back the 21st. Ian said he wasn't ready yet! Zowie is in a play Friday night so that is her focus right now. It's not good when the hospital staff knows you! That means you've spent way too much time there!

Maggie, did Will get to come home today? Hope so! :D

I need to figure out what I'm wearing to this shindig tonight. I'd really like to stay home! They are grilling brats and hamburgers; the last two cookouts we've been to, my hamburger "mooed" and I didn't eat it after one bite. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening! :wave:

Maggie 08-06-2014 04:57 PM

Wonderful Hot & Still Wednesday

They have Will up and walking around today and eating soft foods to get his system working once again. They are doing other things to him this morning and so he asked me to wait and come see him this afternoon so I went at one and it almost 4 now so we had a nice visit in between his being checked and his exercise. I certainly don’t want to interfere by getting in their way to do with their making him better. Me and the dogs sure miss him around here. Right now Cecil and Beanie are snoozing on the bed and Ragg Mopp is outback.

I received a couple of the Cloth Doll Workshop books today which are great for they have pictures of dolls made and instructions and patterns for the bodies and clothing and bead work and the list goes on for the “how to.” The other books in the set have been shipped also so should be here any day now. I will now begin gathering up the colored pencils and beads and such to decorate them with. The instructions for each doll comes with a list of all material needed so I need to decide which doll to make first. I have a lot of the pencils and items that I can use from my sewing days. I can see where I may miss my Bernina but I have a nice little light weight that will travel well so I will get used to it in a hurry for it will do all the things I will need to build dolls.

Sound like all you gals are set for mameograms ~ not time for mine just yet. :cp:

JEAN Google up cloth doll books by Patti Medaris Culea and you will see a picture of her books.

DONNA FAYE Isn't there anything that can be done for your situation? Seems to me that they should be able to unstuck what got stuck.

SUSAN Hope all is well with you today.

gma22 08-07-2014 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning to you gals. We are having a very hot and sticky week this week. It is August so that makes sense. It has gotten to be time to start watching the Atlantic for hurricanes and tropical storms. We start watching around 6 weeks before our trips.

I have to call and make another apt with my gyno and get the biopsy done. Was going to wait until after the cruise, but since I have to get the hernia repaired and will not be able to drive etc for about a month I guess I should just try and get it done before I go. I also have to see my regular dr again, but I called to make an apt and she doesn't have her new schedule up. They want to see me 2-3 days after being in the hospital but yet have no appts. Sheesh.

I finished the baby hat. It is so cute. The top of it makes a star pattern from the decreases. I have put the blanket on the needles and am work on it, but am going to start the striped baby socks too I think.

My capris were huge so have to send them back. Their measurement sizing is way, way off. I ordered a couple other things from them and hope they aren't huge too so am keeping my fingers crossed. I hate to try on clothes and usually get stuff that fits when I order it online, but this was ridiculous. The capris were so big I think I could have put Jack in them with me. They actually went clear to the ankle they were so big.

Maggie: How are you going to have enough room in the rv for doll supplies? They can't do anything about adhesions. This is one of the situations with my uterus is that adhesions make it cling to my colon so surgery is very, very difficult. I didn't have any blockage, just the adhesions that can gum up the works and nothing can be done about that. It is a fact of multiple surgeries.

Jean: I think people who don't wear, long pants, long shirts, closed toed shoes and a helmet and ride motorcycles are stupid and people who don't wear their seatbelts in cars are stupid. I feel sorry for this man, but it is what happens when you don't protect yourself. They are in vehicles for a reason and if you don't use them then frankly what happens to you is your fault. I hope that things improve for him. They have a huge construction project going on here on the interstate and it is going to take about5 years. It is coming along, but it is a mess during rush hour. They are putting in another lane on each side so there will be 8 lanes instead of 3 on each side to help with rush hour traffic, which comes to a stand still and bottle necks badly in areas. We have 2 major interstates that go through this town and an interstate loop that goes completely around and comes back so it can be a mess. Going through surface streets can be a nightmare sometimes though too.

Hope you all have a nice Thursday. Today is election day for us. I sometimes wonder why we bother as this is a black democrat town and we are the wrong color and the wrong party to have anyone elected we vote for. Faye