Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #83

Starting a new thread!

Nothing but weather warnings on the three network channels tonight; so far it's just for Nebraska and imagine they are a bit spooky after last night.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #2  

Good Morning! It's cloudy and humid in my neighborhood this morning. I woke up to lightning during the night, got up to check the weather because we were in a tornado warning coming in from Nebraska. We never did get any rain so that was good. "My" Little Kitty deck cat showed up last night with four kittens! We didn't even know she was pregnant; she really surprised us. Bob had put the live trap out for the raccoon and Little Kitty went in. That's the second time she's gone in it. Ian has a late game tonight so we are going to go if the weather holds. Will have to take a longer route through Sioux City because all the others, over back roads, are flooded and bridges closed.

I need to get dressed and vacuum the fur bunnies. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. Hot and humid is the forcast for today again.

Thanks for starting a new thread Jean. I was going to do it this morning if no one had.

Paid bills and read emails, did a load of laundry and ate breakfast. I need to start on the downstairs today, but it is pretty hot so don't know. It isn't filthy so it can wait if need be. I am starting T's socks over as my original gauge seemed off and a bit big and it was. Since they have no leg, just a cuff, it was easy and quick to just tear it out and start over. I was just at the heel.

Got an email from a guy we cruised with last year. I had sent them a couple emails and a Christmas card and never heard from them so figured that was the end of that, but he emailed this morning and said he posted on cruise critic to Jack.

Jean: Looks like the rain is going backwards instead of east. Hopefully it has moved out of your area. We will start again tomorrow afternoon then supposed to rain for a week so I guess that is what you have been getting. I am sick of rain. Hope you can make it to the game ok.

Everyone have a great day today. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! Another day in the high 90s with humidity to match. Ugh!

I had bee last night and then tonight is the library applique bee. Fun! Saturday we are going to a quilt show so more fun on tape.

My retirement has been postponed a little. My boss came in with a big list of things that need to be done before I can go and I agreed to do them so maybe another month.

Faye, I can't imagine you house ever being dirty! You have the best cleaning schedule. Isn't is nice to make new friends while vacationing.

Jean, you are going to become the cat lady! I'll bet the kittens are cute.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. It is really sticky this morning and the temps are already mid 80's so going to be a hot one today. I am heading out in about an hour or so to run some errands and get my nails and toes done. This is commissary weekend and Jack wants to get a haircut on Saturday besides he said he would take me to see the Jersey Boys movie on Saturday afternoon so am excited about that.

I had the absolute worst headache last night. It came on all of a sudden around 2 and by the time Jack got home it was awful. I took some Aleve and it didn't help, took some allergy med in case it was that as I have had a bad runny nose the last few days and that didn't help either. I hung on as long as I could then said to heck with it and took one of Jack's pain pills from his shoulder injury and that did the trick. For one thing it made me sleepy, but I guess it relaxed me enough that it went away. I am wondering if it is diabetes meds again and I will have to lower it some more. I have to go see her next month so maybe she will lower it or remove me altogether from part of it.

I am having to ship back an Ipad usb cord we just bought a month ago. They have a lifetime warranty and the thing just quit charging for some reason. Hopefully they will just send me a new one or at least fix this one as it is practically brand new.

Susan: I hope you can wrap things up for him asap and then get your retirement underway. He seems bent on trying to get you to stay I think. You sound like you are having the same weather we are. Typical for this part of the country for sure.

Everyone have a great day!! Faye
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #6  

Good Morning! It's cloudy and humid this morning with a few rain drops falling. It was midnight when we got home last night and probably close to an hour later when I went to bed. I have NO ambition this morning! I have no plans for today except to sort through a closet, and get back to the afghan. I keep hoping for a phone call that my cupboard is done and ready to be installed. They've had it two weeks tomorrow, and "are working on it" when Bob checked with them on Monday. I did find a "smart" microwave but I wanted white so they had to order one.

"Gma," you are our "Queen of Clean" so I doubt your house is all that dirty. We drove home in a tornado watch last night; it was supposed to be raining when we left Sioux Falls night around 9, rain in Sioux City at 10, and rain here at 11. We never did drive in rain. I saw where a little town west of SF got it by a tornado last night. People around here are really spooked. I'm glad your headache is gone. Sometimes Bob's iPad doesn't charge but he uses a loose outlet so I thought maybe the plug wasn't all the way in. Maybe it's time for new cord for him.

Susan, nice to see you again yesterday! Maybe your boss would like you to be "on call" instead of retiring. Bob is working on a deal where he can retire out of the office but still do the federal crop and BCBS since none of the other agents are licensed for crop and/or don't like doing it. It involves chasing down farmers, sometimes riding in the fields with them, to get their figures and signatures. Now there are five kittens! Little Kitty came with a different one this morning, and it is gray. We try to watch when she leaves to see where she goes. She is smart and goes a different direction each time. I know you are looking forward to Saturday!

I need to get a move on and accomplish something this morning. Hope you all enjoy a terrificThursday!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. It looks a little overcast this morning but hard to tell from looking out our back window. With the tree and the garages and condos on the other side of the street, you only have a peek of sky so I may be dead wrong.

I ran errands and got my nails done yesterday. He talked me into rounded nails instead of square. Not sure I like them and I had him cut them too short. I like them longer because they make my hands look better. Ahh well, there is always next time. It is easier to type with them shorter though.

I need to tackle downstairs today I think. I do want to work on Thomas's socks today since I got them back on the needles and I have a load of laundry in at the moment. If I get up early and do housework, I seem to procrastinate less about it then if I leave it until later in the day. Jack comes home from work so early I feel the day has slipped away before I get anything done.

I hope to get Jackson's yarn today. If not today, then tomorrow. I will probably take it with me on the cruise to work on and then I can have them both finished early this year.

Tomorrow Jack is getting up and getting a haircut early then in the afternoon we are going to the movies to see, "Jersey Boys." I missed the broadway play when it came through town and none of the permanent troupes are near enough for us to go see so am looking forward to going to the movie.

Jean: We started our summer out rough weatherwise it looks like. There have been lots of tornados and such it seems. The friends that are going with us on the cruise live in Kansas City and she said they have gotten a lot of rain lately too. I would check his cord on another plug and see if it charges before spending the money on a new one. It seems I am the one that always needs a new cord. I do something to it at home, I have no idea what. I just ordered another one and a "kit" from Target. Jack says our current cigarette usb chargers aren't powerful enough to charge my Ipad so I bought one to Jack's specifics so it would charge properly. I haven't ever used it on a long trip before as I didn't have it last year before the cruise. We shall see. One of the problems is we have too much electronic junk for the car. We have to put the seats down in the back to all our big bags to fit and when you do that you can't use the back cigarette plug. Our usb plug for back there is flush, but then the cord sticks out from the plug and the seats put down come flush to the front seat. I am trying to cut out a couple bags this year to see if we can then just put one seat down. Since we drive and don't fly I can take as much as I want as Royal Caribbean has no limits on baggage so I take a ton of sandals to match outfits and a ton of clothing. At least this year I won't be peeing through all my clothes like last year. What a nightmare that was little did I know the cause exactly. It will be good to be down in weight and not taking meds that cause diahrrea, not having the female issues and not wetting or having to go to the bathroom constantly. I think Jack would like to put 20 years in with the city so he gets 50% of his yearly income. It all depends if the knees can hold out. As long as he gets to take cruises, he is ok staying working.

You all have a great weekend. Faye
Old 06-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #8  

Happy Friday! The sun is shining and it's another humid day in my corner of the world. I worked in the gift shop this morning so have no ambition to start any projects this afternoon. I cleaned up the kitchen before I left this morning, so that may be my effort for the day!

"Gma," I wear my nails rounded. Don't you catch yarn on the square corners? I'm sure you will enjoy Jersey Boys, or at least I hope so. My phone recharges twice as fast in the car, but it doesn't last as long. Some of the newer cars will only charge when the car is running. One of my lunch bunch friends found that out the hard way, and called the dealership. Do you have access to washers and dryers on the ship? I packed less this time but had to do laundry while we were gone. That's a toss up for sure. Since the machines were in the condo we could take advantage of them at night while we slept.

I need to change clothes and figure out what comes next in my afternoon. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JUNE MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Last Wednesday evening after mid week Bible study we went for a drive about. The sky was covered with rain clouds but the edges were clear and the sun was bright which caused the most beautiful vibrantly colored rainbow and we could see both ends of and the whole arch overhead. We haven’t seen a rainbow like it since the one that we saw in Casper WY years ago. One end of it touched down on us as we were standing in a parking lot. It was so weird standing in a rainbow ~ wonder how many people have gotten to do that.

We just got back from a trip to Wall*Mart to pick up a bag of kitty litter to put out in the yard for Cecil. He rarely ever uses the inside butt hut anymore but I do keep it in good shape just in case he does. He is an outside cat for the most part but loves his people so comes in periodically and greets us and is inside to sleep in the night.

The buffalo babies all look healthy and are growing by leaps and bounds. It is fun to watch them frolic about. Their mothers are never far away and ole Ferdinand is still kept away from them in the nearby fenced in area.

Last evening while we had a respite from the ever present wind, which wasn’t blowing, we were able to BBQ some steaks outside. Tonight for dinner I am going to slice thin what was left of the meat and make some toasted Panini sandwiches and serve them with fresh pineapple spears..

Of all things Will is out mowing the lawn. That rain we had this past week sure made the grass grow quickly and everything perk up and beautiful around the area.

JEAN You sound like me in the ambition department. I don't want to do a thing but must. I'll be glad when we get the MH moved over here and load the things we have purchased for it to get them out of my office.

DONNA FAYE I file my nails flat with the corners rounded off and they work for me. I am fortunate to grow my own and not have to mess with the fillers and such. That is a great idea to think ahead and take along a project that you enjoying doing with you on the cruise.

Have a great afternoon ~ evening Magnolias.
Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #10  

Good morning everyone. They are calling for rain, but who knows anymore.

Jack should be up soon as he wants to be at the hair cutting place as soon as they open at 8 AM. He hates getting a haircut and I suspect it is why he went to get it buzzed so to speak. He doesn't like talking with the stylist, he doesn't like waiting, he is an old grouch about it. So, he gets there before they open and waits for them to open the doors so he can be first. Doesn't always work out for him that way though.

I have a good start on Thomas's first sock. I am finishing up the heel and will be starting the foot soon. I hope they fit properly and he likes them. I need to find out from Alicia what size shoes Jackson wears now to make his socks.

Maggie: I will be glad in more than one reason to get things packed up. That room is a mess. His clothes, my clothes, my shoes, hygiene stuff I have bought, suitcases, the garment bag is hanging over the door and on and on.

Jean: Jack said the phones don't really need to be charging when we are in the car they will hold a charge. I told him he could turn his off while we are driving as the kids and family always call my phone anyway and that would be the only people would be concerned about. We shall see. We are working out everything as we don't have huge amounts of room to take all our bags anyway. I take about 10 prs of shoes with me! You never know when you might need a good pair of purple sandals.......

Everyone have a good weekend. Faye
Old 06-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #11  

Talking

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it has cooled off. So far no wind which is a nice treat. No real plans for the day except laundry and more sorting. I can't believe all the "stuff" stashed away in this house! I also need to brush cats then vacuum again. Wish that machine could be a part of my downstairs decor so I wouldn't have to carry it up and down the stairs.

Maggie, how interesting about the rainbow. We don't see them very often around here. People have been sending storm pictures to the tv stations, and there have been some angry looking/strange cloud formations I have never ever seen. They opened the interstate yesterday and are removing sandbags around homes along the SD side. More rain is predicted so I'm hoping they won't have to redo them. That's a lot or work! I think Bob will be mowing again today. Our bare spots are finally filling in and the yard is looking better.

"Gma," I had to giggle about Jack getting his haircut. The gal who does our hair, called Bob while he was out in the boat fishing. She was checking on his secretary and wanted to send a card. Bob never told her what he was doing. She is a personal friend since we've been going to her for 35 years. I started shortly after Beth was born so that's how I can remember. I will elect you our Queen of Shoes! I usually just take an couple pair of sandals and call it good.

I need to get dressed and get my day going. Hope you all enjoy a super Saturday!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #12  

Talking

Good Morning! It is raining here this morning and the gauge shows 3/4" already. We don't need any more right now! We are heading to church this morning and then to Sioux City to pick up Beth and the kids for Ian's game at 5:30. The weather map shows Sioux Falls as being dry with no rain in sight. We'll see what the day brings.

Hope you all enjoy a nice relaxing day!
Old 06-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #13  

Good afternoon all. We had commissary shopping early this morning so I never did get in here earlier. We went and got a bite to eat after shopping and coming home and putting it all away. We are home for the day now. I decided to wait until next weekend to go to the movies. I am having a bout of female stuff and sitting for 2.5 hours in a theater is not in the cards today. I had trouble sitting at the restaurant.

I have started a new sleeveless tunic in a couple sizes smaller for next summer. I figure it will give me something to shoot for. It is going to be this lovely deep shade of purple.

Here we are less than three months to the trip and Jack springs it on me he needs a snorkeling vest and anti fog spray for his goggles. I asked him how long he has known this and he said the guy at the place he took his lesson told him he should get them. {{{sigh}}} Men, why he didn't tell me way back when and I could have ordered him one. Ahh well, I found them at Amazon the cheapest so will get him the stuff there so I can get free shipping.

Jean: Hope the weather is better for the game now. We are supposed to get rain today and clear through next week but so far not a drop. I did notice it was clouding up though. I do have quite a few pairs of sandals especially. I have outgrown my shoe rack stuff and my handbag holders so everything is either on the floor in the spare room or in one of those huge Rubbermaid containers. I have all my sandals in it. I bought these rubber shoes last year I never did wear as I never went into the ocean. I hope I can use them this year. I don't do lakes and oceans bare feet. Gives me as the English say, "the collywobbles."

Well girls, off to finish listening to me audio book. I just finished the latest Janet Evanovich book and it was pretty funny. Have a great rest of the weekend. Faye
Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #14  

Good morning all. It is already warm here this morning and predicting rain though we didn't get any yesterday at all and we were supposed to.

Jack's sister and husband and son will be here sometime Wednesday evening. They are just passing through on their way to W VA. I hope they don't get in too late as Jack has to get up at 5 AM the next morning and go to work.

I am going to tackle the downstairs today and try to get in a few minutes on the treadmill. We will see how that goes. I haven't been on it or out in the neighborhood in a long time and I don't know how my knee will do walking without the cane. We shall see.

Hope everyone has a great start to their week. Faye
Old 06-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #15  

Talking

Good Morning! This is the beginning of a busy week for us. Counted money from both places and balanced first time. Needless to say, there wasn't much in either place. Bob has to coral Ernie after lunch, and I will take him in for his yearly shots and ear cleaning. He has the dirtiest ears I've ever seen on a cat. Doc even asked if he went outside. Bob' AZ brother is flying into Sioux Falls sometime today and will work his MN, ND, and SD territory. The MT brother will meet up with him on Wed. And head to the cabin. If MT sister-in-law comes, I will have to go with them for a surprise visit to the 97 year old aunt. If she doesn't come, I'll send the guys; that trip pretty much shoots a day. It's supposed to rain off and on while they are here, but Bob is hoping to get the trim painted on the cabin. They all leave next Monday. In the mix is a funeral for the 85 year old lady across the street. She died from acute pancreatitis, which probably was caused by too much alcohol. We could have another ball game if Ian wins tonight.

"Gma," I hope you do get to spend some time with Jack's sister and family. I don't like the sea weed in the lake, so I don't go out very far. The cabin lake water is clear so you can see your feet, our lake here is not. Bob says the fish and critters are just as afraid of me as I am of them.

I need to clear the table off and dream up something for lunch. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!