Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #16  

Good morning, ladies! 72 degrees heading for 80 with rain -forecast is for 2-4 inches of rain, huge hailstones and storms beginning around noon. I'd gladly send some to you, Maggie, but you can keep the wind.

I probably told you before but Sandy and I are doing a small (30 quilts) quilt show for Windsor Meade Retirement Center where our friend moved with her husband. Very upscale there! We went last night and checked out the ballroom where it will hang so we can plan where each quilt will go. They are very cooperative there and are sending a truck to get the quilt rack from PPQG storage shed, putting them up and hanging the quilts. They don't want us on ladders. I'm very happy with that. We though we were going to have to do it all.

Thursday evening is First Thursday Bee. We're having more of a party for one of our members has sold her house and is moving to Oklahoma. We all made quilt blocks for here (Road to Oklahoma pattern) and another member embroidered our name on the one we made so she will have a nice rememberance of us. She's a very prolific quilter and I am sorry to see her go.

I think I just saw some lightening, so time to shut down the computer. More later!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #17  

Good Morning! Weather report is SSDD! Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer with hit and miss sunshine. I've been to get my nails done and need to declutter the counter then file way too many papers that have accumulated. The washer repairman came just before lunch yesterday. I was happy because I had visions of him not coming until today. The verdict was new seals, a new bearing, and a new computer part. Probably would cost around $400, give or take, for a 6 year old machine. I opted for a new front load machine instead. As we visited, I shared what I didn't like about my machine -- everything coming out in a wad. He agreed and said this machine was noted for that. He also mentioned farm wives didn't think it got the dirtier farmer clothes clean. When Bob and I went to the store, I told the salesman I really needed a new microwave. We did look at them and now that is presenting a problem. The new models are 17", top to bottom, where mine is 15". When we decide to buy I will have to have my cupboard cut to fit -- more $$$.

Susan -- I'd love to see 80 degrees one of these days! The quilt project for the retirement home is really a nice idea. The home where my "mom" lives changes quilts hanging in their dining room on a regular basis. The memento quilt for your friend moving to OK will be a treasure for her.

I need to get busy! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #18  

Good morning gals. Jack is up and showering to get ready for work and I woke up at 4:30 having to go to the bathroom so just stayed up and did some work on the computer. I am finally supposed to get my dress today ( they screwed it up and made it to short so I sent it back then didn't ship it and lost it so sent out another one that is supposed to be here today, but I got an email in my name with my order number of the dress and the same tracking number for a bunch of stuff I didn't order.) I sent them an email and said they either needed new employees or needed to get on the ball and if this stuff showed up I wasn't paying to have it shipped back so we shall see.

I found a pair of multi colored croc sandals and ordered them. I like my clunky old black ones as they are comfortable so we shall see whether I like the sandals or not. I will let you know.

I have a good start on the first mitten, but what a headache. The pattern I wanted to use was again a different yarn weight and gauge and so I found a plain mitten fingering pattern for cast on then used this other pattern to put a pattern on the mitten, but I kept goofing it up. I have it right now, but spent hours getting it going correctly.

We love the new ap for WW pts and such.

Susan: I hope you have a lot of success with your quilt show. I think it is wonderful to have it at a retirement center. Glad things are going ok with you.

Jean: I figured you would buy a new one instead of having the old one fixed. We have replaced ours once and the dryer twice mainly because it costs almost more to have them fixed than to just buy another one, which is plain sad. I have a large microwave, but it sits on something separate now installed or on the countertop. I always buy Kenmore microwaves because they seem to last a long time. Hope your weather is improving and you are getting some warmer stuff your way.

Have a wonderful weekend all!! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-02-2014 at 06:11 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #19  

Good morning, ladies! Sunny day today but a bit cooler in the lower 70s. At least we are in the 70s all next week.

I have a lot of clothes that are too big so today I'm trying everything on and will decide if it goes to the thrift store or I will alter it (only 2-5 things I really love. Then I can decide what I need to fill in, if anything. I have too many clothes as it is since I'm usually in jeans in the winter and capris/shorts in the summer and t-shirts.

I know I do this all the time, but I'm thinking about rearranging furniture yet again. Someday I might get it right and then I can leave it that way.

Faye, that program will be stopped by WW. It's copyright infringement to use their formula for figuring points and they are vigalent about prosecuting. I hope you get the right dress this time.

Jean, appliances sure don't last long. Hopefully my washer and dryer will keep on for a while longer. Both are over 10 years old but I don't do but 3 loads of laundry a week.

Maggie, how are things in the heartland?

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #20  

Good Afternoon! We had some sunshine this morning, but the wind blew the clouds in and it looks like it could rain . . . . . again. I braved WM this morning as well as the grocery store, fixed lunch, and now need to wash the pans. I may wash another load of clothes; the repairman told me to go ahead and use the washer. The worst that can happen is it will quit mid-cycle and I'll have to wring water out of the clothes.

"Gma" -- I hope your dress arrives, fits and looks just the way you want it. I am so amazed at how you can figure out how colors, pattern, and size will all come together on your knitting projects. Whirlpool used to make all of Sears appliances, but not any more. The appliances all seem so tinny and chintzy now -- cheaply made for sure. The sun is peeking out again.

Susan -- I tend to wear the same things all the time. I should get rid of more clothes and then I would have more drawer space. I wondered how long it would take WW to put a stop to the app. I wish I could rearrange furniture, but between steps, picture window, and fireplace there is no wall space. My next living room will be square shaped and without a fireplace -- I hope! I would like a fireplace that is useable and placed where I could arrange furniture easily.

I plan to spend some time working on the afghan this afternoon and maybe chase fur bunnies with the vacuum. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day and evening.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Fantastic Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN APRIL MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Good afternoon ladies it is a beautiful 93˚ day here in the ♥-Land with just a bit of a nice breeze blowing. OH ~ so wonderful not having that wind blowing so hard this day. Nothing much out of the ordinary though going on this day. We finally got our Jeep back yesterday evening with a new radiator. We are soon going to order a metal one since our last one that was also plastic didn’t quite last for 2 years. We don’t want to take a chance of having this one do the same. Any other plastic parts on the Jeep we find will also be replaced by metal. Quadra Teck will install anything on it that we want even if they don’t sell the particular product. They will even tell us where we can buy something cheaper than they can sell it and they will install it. Those guys know what they are dong where the guys at the dealer aren’t so sharp which is sad to say.

I went to the dentist yesterday and had my 6 month check up and cleaning. I love getting them clean and getting some free samples of go between the teeth brushes. I would much rather use the little go between brushes than flossing and always keep a brush in my pocket.

I occasionally like flavors for my coffee and enjoy using the ones by Splenda® that are French Vanilla. That along with a container of fat free creamer sure makes a nice zero point latte. However right now I am sipping a nice cold diet Pepsi® over ice and thoroughly enjoying it. And BTW I am back on my program.

JEAN Sorry you are having washer woes. Wringing things out by hand can be quiet a job if it comes to that. Hope you get a new one delivered soon.

DONNA FAYE Yikes ` 4:40 is really early to get up for sure. Hope your dress comes today and it is what you wanted.

SUSAN I finally got rid of any good still clothes that were too big. I certainly don't plan on ballooning up again to fit into them. Have fun rearranging your furniture. Sounds like work to me.

Always remember ~ Never, ever, never give up
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #22  

Good Morning! The sun is shining brightly and not a cloud in sight. We are supposed to be in the 70s this weekend so I'm hoping that happens. Bob just left for the farm to work on his tractor. The farm momma cat had 6 kittens in the shop and doesn't seem to mind the guys sharing her space. I might take a trip out to see them later. I'm hoping to get geraniums this afternoon; have five large pots we put out in place of the bushes that the snakes liked to hang in several years ago. The plane is waiting for take off in the basement.

Maggie -- It's a chilly 48 degrees and breezy here this morning. I'm glad you have your Jeep back until you can get the metal radiator. How much does your dentist charge for cleaning your teeth? My bill was $97; Bob went yesterday and he had two x-rays which I didn't, and his bill was $125. Guess preventive care is going up along with everything else. My new washer and dryer are being delivered Monday. on being OP once again! That's a never ending process for me!

I'm planning to repot my house plants today along with my regular Saturday chores, so better get moving. I hope you all enjoy a nice sunny Saturday!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Hot Saturday

It is a beautiful day here in the ♥-Land with a slight breeze and the temperature up in the 90˚’s. One would think that summer has arrived. We are so happy to get our Jeep back.

It seems that every 12 months after I get my teeth cleaned twice and it is time for me to get a new brush for my electric brush ~ they don’t make that model anymore so of course they don’t sell the brushes. I think they have it planned that way because usually when I buy one they come with 3 brushes so that is 9 months worth. Then after a check up the 12th month then I have to buy a new whole tooth brush for I can’t get a replacement brush for my unit which still works properly but needs a new brush. The model I got today is the Oral-B Professional. I have 3 brushes for it and may just buy some more before the year is up because there were some coupons for some in the packaging. I think the extra heads came with it so more people could use the unit.

I think for dinner this day it will be mac and cheese with some lean burger in it along with a yummy bowl of fruit.

JEAN We have dental insurance that pays for us to have our teeth cleaned every 6 months. We also have a “Piggy Back” program that pays some of what the regular insurance doesn’t on “work.” It will come in real handy when Will gets his new anchor tooth. Piggy Back won’t pay all of what is left over on work like that but pays a big chunk of it so we will have some to pay but not much. Both dentists have it all figured out what we will need to pay and that is great for we can plan for it. Will may have already paid for his tooth for he is my accountant. I am sure you will be so happy to get a new washer and dryer and they will work great for you.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #24  

Good morning all. Today is going to beautiful and hot later on so we are going out in a couple hours and do all the bush trimming and sweep the deck for now then in a couple weeks finish it up. Next weekend is commissary weekend so we never plan on anything that weekend if we can help it.

I finished one mitten and have started the second one. It was a bit more of a trial than the hat was, but I finally got it all down right and finished it fairly quickly. I guess when I get done I need to order yarn for the boys socks I do for their Christmas and start on those.

We made a trip to WM yesterday and besides a few fill in groceries, like produce I was out of, we bought Jack two great looking swimsuits, 2 tropical style button down shirts and a golf type shirt that looks sort of like denim. I had to laugh at him when he said that we spent all that money on him but none on me. I asked him if he was kidding as I had spent a lot on new clothing this year. I just bought a bunch of nail polish at Target and online so I could get OPI, which is my favorite brand.

Maggie: Glad you get a good deal with the dentistry stuff. Our dental insurance is pretty lousy and we have found most to be about the same. The last few years Jack was in the Navy they offered Delta Dental and we took it while the kids were still home so we could get their teeth fixed, but then dropped it afterwards because we just couldn't afford it. We have city insurance now for dental.

Jean: Hope you get your new washer and it does a spiffy job for you. I started using the flings laundry packets from Gain and really like them. No more spilling soap all over the place. I haven't used powdered soap in years, but I like just slinging a packet into the bottom of the washer and it seems to work just fine.

Susan: I am going to have the hang onto the clothes when they are way too big issue as I have some now that I probably should get rid of. Sooner or later I am going to have to clean out closets and I already have clothes in all three and Jack has just one side of our walk in.

You all have a wonderful day. Tomorrow is weigh in so we shall see. Faye
Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #25  

Good Morning! I got up to wind, clouds, and raindrops with a cold 39 degrees; the sun has come out and it's "warmed" up to 45. Glad I wasn't planning a picnic today! I've got my last load of laundry in the washer before Bob takes the hoses off and cleans out the dryer vent. Other than that, I've read the paper and fed the birds and squirrels.

Maggie -- When the kids were still home we had dental insurance. For what little it covered Bob thought we were further ahead to drop it. There was a time limit on how many fillings, root canals, and crowns a family could accumulate. Kids had fillings and I had the rest! Hope you can find a new toothbrush or brushes you like. Maybe you should order more brushes next time; the handle part will quit working and you will have brushes left over.

"Gma" -- It's great you figured out your mitten pattern! You are brave to go to WM on a Saturday! I don't know about washers but the dishwasher repairman told me not to use the soap "bubbles" things for the dw. He said the plastic doesn't always dissolve and clogs up the innards. I've used liquid laundry detergent for years. Just so things get clean is what makes me happy.

We forgot to buy geraniums for the three pots that sit between the garage doors, so will make another trip to the nursery after lunch. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing Sunday!
Old 05-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Beautiful Sunday

It is a beautiful breezy day with a temp of 85˚s as I type. What a wonderful day it is. We have been out and about buying vitamins were getting out of for our daily cocktail of good things for us. Stopped and got some coffee at our favorite place and on to the cheese cake store a good friend owns. She not only has fresh baked cheese cake but lots of neat kitchen gadgets. I have still not even tried the small bottle of the hottest hot sauce that is made that I got from her. It sits on a little shelf in the kitchen with small bottles of other stuff.

We had pot-luck for lunch after church in the basement kitchen and I ate very sparingly. We are going out for Chinese after evening services.

JEAN The new brush I got is loud but does a great job. The triple cleaning action sweeps away up to 100% more plaque* which is fine with me. I especially like the feature that it stops pulsating when brushing too hard. I was known to brush too hard when using a manual brush ~ so hard in fact I would cause the bristles to come out in my mouth and break the head. When I started using an electric brush that stopped but I may still be brushing too hard. This feature to stop the pulsating the new brush has when brushing too hard will be great for me. Since we kept the insurance I had when I was a Peace Officer we don't have much at all to pay each month. There are times when they don't charge us anything each month for I have what is called Safety Retirement. What we are charged must depend on how well their investments are doing also.

DONNA FAYE Each insurance company has different degrees of what they offer and charge folks depending on where they work etc. Which ever company gets the contract has to give me what I got from the former company which is one of the best policies they have. It all depends on what the powers that be who have employed you gets for you at the bargaining table. Since our union was run by rank and file employees (us) we the people got the best we could muster for our group. It took some doing and running the halls of the capital but we got it through many years ago and they can't take it away from us.

Not much else going on today so I will say audios amigos’.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #27  

Good morning to you all. It is already near 70 this morning so going to be a nice day. It got up to almost 90 yesterday. We got out first thing in the morning and trimmed the bushes, one of which is a holly bush and the leaves are like stickers. We have a backyard full of stuff now as we can only put so much in the can as the lazy trash guys won't pick up piled up stuff so we will have do put it out a couple weeks in a row I guess. Holly branches don't do well in trash bags as they tend to rip them open so no use wasting them. I cleaned the deck and entranceway from the gate and bagged it, went in and washed my hands and face, but still ended up with sneezing, runny nose, rashed hands and pink face. It lasted a couple hours and always does, but what can you do? I have gardening gloves somewhere, but couldn't find them and the work needed to be done. Week after next we will tackle the old leaves and clean out around the garage. Eventually down the line I would like someone to tear out the old deck and put in one of the new ones that are like plastic, but it would be the last of the renovations to be worked on if money was left.

Saw these on Yahoo news this morning and thought you would get a kick out of it. This is just a couple of about 15 they had. Who wants to wear your eyes like this?

Got my pics today of the grandsons and I put my bead scarf together.

Working on the right glove this morning and cleaning the downstairs. I have to dust, sweep and mop and vacuum then I am done with it for awhile. I will go up and shower in a bit and bring down the basket of clothes and do a load of laundry too I guess. Sometimes I think nudists have it right!

Weigh in this morning and down another 3.4 lbs. Jack lost 5 and apologized saying men always lose faster. I told him how could I be upset as he lost and I lost and it was all good.

Jean: No one had ever told me that about dishwasher plastic packets and I used them all the time. Maybe that is what hinked up our dishwasher. I guess I will go back to the chunk style as I hate the pour style of dishwashing detergent. I know that yesterday my son and his family went to the baseball game and were wrapped up in coats and hats and such and it was in the 40's in Chicago for the ballgame last night. The north is sure taking it's time warming up this year. I have a knitting friend that lives in Fargo ND and she said they were gone all day yesterday and came home and their house was 59 degrees because they had the furnace off.

Maggie: The city insurance premiums for health are outrageous. We only took it one year before we signed onto Tricare and looks like they are going up again. They also ping overweight people and smokers and charge them more that the others.

Well gals the work isn't getting done sitting here. Have a great start to your week. faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-05-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #28  

Good afternoon! The sun is shining and it's been a beautiful day in my neighborhood today. I started my day with a brunch meeting which lasted until almost noon. I went to church after lunch to do my computer posting, and then stopped to pick up the gift shop money. I counted that and have it ready to deposit in the morning. My new washer and dryer were delivered this morning, and I've been reading the "how to do it" books. It said to run an empty cycle before washing clothes, so I worked on the afghan while the washer washed nothing.

Maggie -- Have fun with your new toothbrush!

"Gma" -- on losing 3.4 pounds last week! I can't imagine how long it would take to create the eye decorations! The scarf is cute with the boys' pictures!

Bob should be home soon so guess I should think about something for supper. Hope you all enjoy your evening!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #29  

Good morning ladies. It is warm and muggy this morning and going to be a nice day today again.

I cast on a pair of newborn socks for my dil's sister's new baby. I had stash yarn left in the pink color so am using it since she is having a girl. I am going to make either a headband or hat to go with them I think depending on the pattern I can find. Still working on the other mitten too and it is coming along.

Jean: Hope you love your new washer and dryer. Did you get the front loader ones? I would think those gals would have a mess if it rained, the weather was hot and they sweated or it itched and they forgot. It would be a "destroyed" painting then.

Everyone have a lovely day today. Faye
Old 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and the wind is blowing so it doesn't feel very warm outside. I made the bank deposit, washed a load of white undies for Bob, washed potatoes to bake for lunch, and made a lettuce salad. Bob grilled pork chops and now I need to make a WM run. My oj is almost $4 cheaper there and I can't justify passing that up. The guy who installed my washer told me to use only 1 Tbsp of detergent. The load is drying now so it will be interesting to see how clean they look.

"Gma" -- I did get the front loading machines. I/we were impressed with the machines that were in the Maui condo so that influenced my choice. The dryer has a steam feature which the salesman said is great for freshening pillows and not having them get lumpy from washing them. Someone in my group, yesterday, mentioned front loading machines had to be on cement floors. Our condo was on the third floor so it will be interesting to see if the machines are still there in two years.

Not much newsy from my corner of the world today. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!