Old 01-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #16  

Good evening ladues! Stukk 54 degrees, It was 72 yesterday.

I'm a lot better but still not fully recovered.

I have been going to Mass 7 days a week. That's at least an hour a day. Good is with us 24/7 so surely we can spare a few hours a week for him.

Faye, the hat is lovely. You always do beautiful work.

Jean, I can't believe the spring clothes are out and you can't get anything warm anywhere around here. I'm sure swim suits will be out next week. They are ugly. I don't know what they expect older women to wear. I guess I'll be in jeans and t-shirts or sweatshirts all year 'round.

Maggie, I treated myself to a new WW scale. It not only weighs me, it gives me body fat percentage, weight of body fat, bone density. bmi and weight of lean body mass. I have compared it with the readings from the research center and its pretty much on target.

Have a wonderful evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #17  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a spring day here today! Most of our snow is gone again and the streets are a sloppy mess, but the sun was out all day, not too windy, and a warm 47 degrees. There was an extra money bag at church this morning, from December 22nd no less. I don't know how we missed it but we did. That meant extra work keeping 2013 money separate from 2014. Because of that my figures didn't balance with the other gal's report; the secretary was going to work her magic and run the 2013 paperwork. I had an auxiliary board meeting at 10:30 so had to go back to church and finish up after lunch. Counted the gift shop money and deposited that late this afternoon. We were supposed to meet our traveling friends for supper but they had something come up and couldn't make it. I'm trying to keep myself awake until it's time to go to bed. I know if I sit down in front of the tv I will fall asleep.

"Gma" -- I love the hat and the color is my favorite! It's nice that Jack can go to your appointment with you. Four ears are always better than two! Sometimes I think good old common sense has gone by the way side! Some people are just plain stupid!

Susan -- I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm sure it takes awhile for your body to recover from being as sick as you were. I agree with you on the clothes; I know some of my things are really out dated with shoulder pads, sewn inside the lining, etc., but "oh well."

I need to put my gift shop books away and unload the dishwasher. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Almost time to go to bed

GOOD EVENING IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS☺♫

This is my weigh day and I am reporting I am up a half of a pound which I will endeavor to have gone next weigh day. Well my upright scale says that and the new floor model scale says I am up .6 which shows me they weigh so close to the same so no adjustment need be made. The upright scale does quarters and halves and the floor model is electronic so it can do any amount beyond the decimal. So all in all that floor model from WW is a very good one and will have a home in the MH. Since it is glass I can take my little Dremel glass etching tool and write my name on it if I want.

It is a day between 57° and 37° with some wind but not blowing so hard. But on Tuesday they say we will be on a wind advisory for it will blow 40 to 50 MPH. I am going to made a ham dinner this day with au Gratin potatoes and asparagus. I will mixed up some mandarin orange sections with a can of whole berry cranberry sauce to eat with the ham and it is delicious that way.

We were out and about looking for hair clips and the stores were all out except those things that look like teeth that has a thing on top to squeeze to open them. I wanted a few tortuous shell colored clips to hold my hair up in back while it grows out. I am trying to let it grow to put it in a bun at the top of my head to get it out of the way when we are out and about. Works better that way under a cap than when it is short. Right now the back is getting too heavy to stay up in an up sweep and needs some clips. Maybe after the stores are through with inventory I can find what I am looking for. There are a lot of cut bows and flowers for kids but nothing that will work for this old lady right now. I won’t give up though and will find something to work as it is growing out.

I have got to go....will do personals tomorrow.
Have a good night my cyber friends.
Always remember ~ Never, never, never give up

Last edited by Maggie; 01-14-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #19  

Good morning to you all! It rained all day yesterday and supposed to rain again today. It is cold this morning but is supposed to warm into the upper 40's at least today, which is ok.

My gosh, we got the Scentsy discs that you put in the car last night. Jack is in love. The sugar cookie we bought smells like buttercream frosting.

Got the downstairs cleaned yesterday so will tackle upstairs today along with finishing up the laundry.

I am coming along on the scarf/cowl. I figure if I do one to two 32 rows of color I will get it done sometime next year. It is very long then you sew the ends together to make a cowl and double wrap it around your neck.

I am watching the rich people selling homes in New York show. Boy they are so full of themselves. They obviously have the opinion that if you have money you are better than other people. The real estate brokers and agents are as awful as the people buying, mainly because they are rich too I think.

Susan: Hopefully you will be back 100% soon. My prayers are with you that you will have full strength soon. I would love it to be 70 here. We are looking at what we want to do next year for a cruise and checking temps at different parts of the year in the Caribbean and it's a real downer that to see temps down there in the 80's!

Maggie: I love those beautiful tortoise combs ladies used to wear in their hair. My hair is so fine that I have trouble keeping even those little metal snap clips you use to hold your hair back in my hair. They slide right out. Hope you can find what you want soon.

Jean: I find that most of the plus sized clothing they sell here summer or winter are aimed for younger and blacks. I will not be wearing leopard print anything and heaven forbid leggings on a fat woman, which are popular here. I am not into looking like a huge sausage! I have trouble with blue jeans as I am 5'7" but have short legs so I need petite, but then the crotch is too short. With the big behind, the legs are always baggy and the waist way too big. I still wear what I have, but the two pair I have are wearing out.

I need to go check on the laundry and get some breakfast. Have a great Tuesday. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON IN JANUARY MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

It is a day in the 40°s and very windy. We met some friends at a restaurant to have a meal and gab fest. I told the waiter that I was making an order that wasn’t on the menu. I ordered a hamburger patty, cottage cheese, and a sliced tomato. Since that was all on their menu in different dishes it was fine that I did that. Will was thinking OP and ordered a nice big salad with strips of ham and cheese on it. We got what we wanted and didn’t make a big deal of it. We are both determined to lose weight and I sure hope the feeling continues until we reach goal. I am getting a milk and fruit serving in while I sip my Orange Julius Smoothie. This makes my lunch a well rounded meal.

I can sure feel it in my eyes when the wind blows. The nice druggist recommended some drops that are targeted to itchy eyes like mine which is an over the counter purchase and not a prescription. Surprisingly it is called “Eye Itch Relief.”

It is sure quiet up here for all the animals are downstairs supervising Will as he works on a saddle. I am sure they are a great help for him down there. He is building one of the miniature ones for the Museum. All the ones of this size have sold quickly. They are what they call half size and are built just like the big ones. I had some really neat stripped placemats that were woven with thick material and looked like a Mexican saddle blanket with fringe on the ends that he was able to use for a few of them he had built. Maybe we can find some more of that type. Those placemats went real well with my blue with white speckles stainless steel rimmed dinner plates. I wouldn’t mind finding another set of those place mats for the MH.

The cat just came in with dry grass all over him and wanted some attention. I brushed it all off during the petting session now it is on my office floor. Time to get out my broom and dust pan and get it cleaned up before it gets tracked all over the house.

DONNA FAYE My hair is also fine but I have some natural curl in it that sure helps with the styles and barrets don't just slide off. I was looking for small ones for my hair is still quite short but the curls are getting too heavy to stay up in the back so need a little help until it gets long enough to make it into a French twist.

JEAN Hopefully the church money thing got straightend out and each year gets its proper accounting. Yes some people are stupid. The dumbing down of America is more evident these days with the college graduates. They are teaching in college now days what I was studying in high school and what I studied in high school was studied in grade school by my grandparents. The folks that started some of the greatest companies in this country didn't have education past the 3rd grade and look what they were able to accomplish.

SUSAN We thought about getting one of those WW scales with all the bells and whistles but decided against it for the more things in a piece of electronic equipment the more things to go wrong with it especially if it's home is to be in a MH. If it was to be used here in the house I would have gotten the one that you did for sure for they are so neat and accurate.

Have a good day my cyber friends.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #21  

Good morning to all. It is chilly this morning, but we are supposed to get sun. Hopefully it will be nice tomorrow with the dr appts and such.

Lots of pounding going on in the empty condo next door. I don't know if someone has bought it and is working on it, or the bank is making it fit to sell. There are no for sale signs anywhere on the property. On top of that, Jack met the man who bought all the properties the couple owned on the other side of us. He was a nice guy Jack said and gave him his card and said if we ever had issues to call him. Jack talked to him about problems we had had with renters and problems with it being taken care of when the renters wouldn't fix their laundry issues. This guy said it wouldn't happen with him. He is a white guy and bought 10 of the properties so we shall see what happens as it is unusual for someone white to be landlords in the area we live in.

I didn't get upstairs yesterday so have to get up there today and get work done. Jack is taking off tomorrow and Friday, which will give him a 5 day mini vacation as Monday is MLK day. Sure would be nice if she could do the biopsy that day.

We got the bill for my ER visit with the headaches. It was over $6000. Luckily, we only owe $30 which is hospital copay. They gave me a bp pill thinking it was bp problem and they charged $33 for that one pill!!! It is no wonder healthcare is such a mess. Laying around in the ER with nothing being done but sitting there they charged $1500! Ridiculous, but Tricare paid them $400 out of the $6000 so they had to swallow the rest.

Maggie: Jack has lost 5 lbs so far and I am down 3 so we are doing ok too. Glad you are having success with it all. It is tough to lose and especially at our age.

Well gals, need to eat some breakfast and get the day going. Have a great middle of the week. Faye
Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 AM   #22  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, wind is still blowing but not the 40 mph wind of yesterday, and it's a cold 5 degrees. Bob was home yesterday after spending most of the night in the bathroom. He's pretty sure it wasn't the flu but something he ate that didn't agree with his innards. He looked better this morning and headed to the office. So, of course, I didn't get much done around here except a couple loads of laundry; I didn't even get on the computer. Today I need to put together clothes for AZ.

Maggie -- You know what to do to have the 1/2 pound gone by next week. You can do it and send along with a friend or two with it. I hope you find the hair clips you are looking for. I left the 2013 money snafu for the church secretary to figure out.

"Gma" -- Is the Scentsy car thing a liquid? Beth gave me one that is liquid and fits in a cat face. I'm not sure if it is Scentsy or Bath & Body. After the first few days it didn't have any smell to it. I had to laugh at you not wearing leopard print! Every once in awhile I get an email with WM pictures of weird people. I often wonder if they dress like that for shock effect or they don't have a mirror. I hope you get some "good" neighbors this time around. It's hard to bond with renters I know. I'm so glad we don't celebrate MLK day around here. I'm betting we won't get mail but everything else is business as usual. My 1 1/2 ER visit last summer was almost $700. I don't remember how much the shot was but I didn't have any other choice except an IV and I've done that before. Congrats to both you and Jack on your losses! I bit the bullet and went back to WW last week. So far I've been happy with the new simple start plan, but have a mind set to write things down which we don't have to do. If I just watch portion control I could eat almost anything I think.

I need to get busy; noticed dust/fur bunnies floating around as I headed upstairs so will drag out the vacuum. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

It is a lovely 56°day here in the ♥-Land with the low to become 36° when the day is drawing to an end. I have a few things I must get done today but not until I have eased myself into the day further.

I certainly don’t like some of the “upgrades” that Microsoft sends to my computer. I was used to some things I had done to it and then the upgrades come along and wipe out what I had done and now I can’t get it back for it has changed some things around so “my way” will no longer work. I did find a way to back door it though and can just use navigating a different way but it is “my way.” I wish “they” would leave my computer alone for I like it the way it is now and was before.

Are you folks aware that if the snoopers want to they can get into your computer even when it is turned off. I have nothing to hide but I certainly wouldn’t want them going through my computer. I guess a person could shut off the WY-FI.

JEAN It probably was something Bob ate that made him sick and I am glad he is much better this day. Your temps are so close to what we have been getting but I think right now we are a bit higher than you.

DONNA FAYE Hopefully this new landloard will fix the problems you have been having with your condo. I think the reason it is harder losing when a person is older is that they don't move as much as when they were young.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-15-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #24  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is snowing and windy in my corner of the world right now. We've had big flakes and little flakes so it's been interesting to watch. I went to get my nails done this morning and think the wind has died down some since then. This sure has been a crazy weather winter. This afternoon I'm hoping to find all of Beth's Cabbage Patch doll clothes to wash and take to Maddy tomorrow. Other than that need to double check clothes for Saturday and pack what I can today. We will probably leave here around noon, pick up Beth and Jason at Beth's house, and head south to Omaha. Jason had a meeting down there at the beginning of the week and forgot his coat so will swing by the hotel and pick that up on our way to the airport.

Maggie -- Sorry to hear the Microsoft upgrades messed up your personal settings. I hesitate to do them on the iPad since now it won't remember my passwords. "They" say it is a security issue with the sites. When I heard the government was listening in on cell phone conversations, I figured they probably snooped through computers also. Glad I don't have anything to worry about since I rarely talk on my cell phone, and my computer is loaded with recipes and pictures.

I need to eat some lunch. Bob is eating lunch with his farmer friend because they are going to pick up his combine, after being repaired, and bring it home. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 01-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #25  
Thin Within

Talking windy day

My computer has a virus that my teckie is currently dealing with. I should have it hack tomorrow afternoon. I will type at you nice folks then.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #26  

Good morning to you all. Busy, busy yesterday and never did get in here.

Saw the surgeon and my breast biopsy surgery is scheduled for Feb 5 at 8:30 AM but have to be at the women's center to have the wire inserted at 6 AM then shuttle to the hospital building and get ready for the rest of it. She says it takes about half an hour. She described the whole procedure to be on paper, but I think I would have rather had just the verbal. Hoping it comes out clean for sure.

Today we are going to the commissary instead of over the weekend. I just want to get it over with and it may not be as busy as on the weekend. On Monday I have Sears coming to clean out the dryer vent as it is acting up again and Jack found a lot of water in the vent hose so that means it is plugged up in the vent somewhere. I did get in on their special so saved $55, which is good.

Tuesday I go see my gyn about the hysterectomy. The general surgeon says he will not be able to do laproscopic because of adhesions on my colon from the surgeries and the fact I had what she called a "perforated diverticulitis." I also ask her if he had to do incisional would he go in through the incision from my colon surgeries and she said not necessarily as it was up to each surgeon as to what they do. She said it would have been nice to schedule them together (Maggie they do do them at the same time btw) but my breast procedure is at Baptist Hospital and the hysterectomy is at St Francis as he doesn't have privileges at Baptist and never does anything there. She does most surgeries at St Francis she said, but she said that honestly she does anything with the breast at Baptist because St Francis only gives her ultrasound and not mammogram films and ultrasound is not good enough to do breast work she needs the mammogram film, so Baptist it is. Baptist is much newer and updated a lot more than St Francis, but all my surgeries and d and c's have been at St Francis. So we now have part of the surgical stuff ready to go.

Jean: Have a safe trip for you and your family to Arizona. As for the scentsy, no they are cardboard discs with a string just like the Yankee Candle ones except these are round instead of shaped like the candle. I got in the car yesterday and it sure smells like sugar cookie.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss. I would suggest getting into your computer and changing the settings to give you the option of doing the updates for microsoft. We don't let them ever do them as more than once they screwed up the laptop and our PC. Jack has had to reinstall windows and internet explorer more than once because they screwed up the computer. We now just ignore when they have updates they want to install.

You girls have a nice weekend. Faye
Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #27  

Good Morning! It's sunny, NO wind, and 13 degrees as we are on our way to Sioux City to pick up Jason and Beth.

Maggie -- Hope your computer is back home soon!

"Gma" -- Glad you have your first date lined up and you are set. Hope the next one is asap so you are done with doctors. Best Buy tech told me if we didn't do the upgrades, other programs wouldn't work eventually. The commissary is good job to have done!

Not sure I will get in here before we get back home. Have a nice weekend!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #28  

Good morning gals. I know, really early around here for me. I just woke up to go to the bathroom and didn't go back to sleep. I have a hum dinger of a headache this morning though.

We went commissary shopping and it was nice and quiet there today. There were several things they didn't have and Jack will get them tomorrow when he goes out and gets his haircut.

This weekend is weird for me with Jack being home. I keep thinking this is Sunday instead of Saturday since Jack was home Thursday and Friday. It is nice to have him around the house though.

Monday they are going to come in and blow out my dryer vent so I hope that fixes the problem. I don't believe it is my dryer as it isn't very old and we are having the same symptoms we had when the vent clogged up before. It is tough living in a condo and trying to get stuff like this fixed as you have to deal with people on both sides of you. Hopefully they can come in and just get it done quickly and it will be good.

Jean: They don't seem to be able to tell you though how you can keep from having your computer be messed up if you install the updates, but then programs aren't going to work right if you don't? This computer did an auto install about 3 months ago and when it did nothing would work right. It was like it had a massive virus of some kind, but it didn't. Jack tried to back the computer back out of the updates and nothing worked until he completely removed and reinstalled Windows. He has had to do that with Explorer a couple times too. Ahh well, what can you do. Be safe all of you on your travels to Arizona!

Everyone have a great weekend. Faye
Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Windy Saturday

I got my computer back and the Teckie said that I probably picked up the virus from a legitimate news type site that it was tagged to. We have found out that with Windows 8 has some holes where those bad guys can sneak in and give folks a virus. I have my Teckie looking for a key so he can put Windows 7 on this computer and get rid of the 8. I picked up a new notebook computer yesterday and now have it and a tablet. I don’t like the tablet so much though and will probably end up selling it at a yard sale this spring. Will picked up a Teckie type magazine today from the book store and I was thumbing through it and ran across a blurb about the WW Active Link and it had good things to say about it. It is neat how my notebook is so much lighter than Will’s but he has had his for a year now and mine has a camera in it. Seems everything is coming with a camera in it now days. The tablet computer I have also has a camera in it. There is a Teckie book out on the tablet computers and I may pick up one of those and decide not to get rid of mine.

♪At my door the leaves are falling
And a cold wild wind will blow♫ (in a song by Joan Baez)

The wind is blowing and blowing here in the ♥-Land making my eyes water and my nose sneeze.

I am looking forward to our trip to Texas and getting my bow there at Cabalas since the store here in Hays never did get it delivered to their local store from the factory. I don’t know what the holdup is except they had a run on them during the Christmas time. It isn’t like the manager did call his rep but wasn’t satisfied with a shipment date. We do try to buy locally.

JEAN I certainly do hope you have safe travels and are back with us soon.

DONNA FAYE It is a good time to shop when you go very early or very late in the day. It does make for a long day when you don't get a good nights sleep doesn't it. Hopefully you can get caught up tonight.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #30  

Good morning to everyone! It is chilly here this morning, but supposed to get up to 60. We have the dryer air duct guys coming in first thing this morning to get it blown out and hopefully that will fix the issues with drying the clothes. I know it isn't the dryer so the only thing it can be is the vent is clogged again.

Haven't knitted for a couple days. I have been re-reading a group of books by an author named Ann George. They are funny mysteries geared towards older women so they are lots of fun to read.

Jack bought me an Ipad mini on Friday. My Kindle has been acting funny and I bought it used from Kelly so it may be about ready to give up and die. It keeps resetting and when it does, I lose my place with whatever I am reading. I click on the title and it is at least 3 chapters behind so then I have to go in and start over finding where I think I left off. It is a pain. This way we can take the Ipad on vacation instead of dragging the laptop along to use in the hotels and I can use the Kindle app to read my books on too. It should be here sometime this week as he bought it online at ATT where we have our accounts.

I am down 5 lbs for about 2 weeks. I have to be more dilligent about weighing myself now.

Maggie: Glad you have your computer all fixed up. Very easy these days to get a virus for sure. There is one going round that keeps being dumped in my spam where it says something about a court date. If you click it, it gives you a trojan virus.

Well girls, we are starting another week. Hope you have a great one! Faye