Old 02-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

The difference this time is my health. I was dx'd with metabolic syndrome last June, (diabetes, high bp, high cholesterol, and gout) I knew if I didn't get on and STAY on plan I would not be around to do it LATER.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #17  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Great lostakid!! It seems like when you have a strong motivation it's harder to quit. All the best for the rest of your journey!!
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #18  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

This is a great thread! I'm 18 months into this - the longest I've ever lost or maintained, and going into the next stretch I'm focusing on

1. Moderation - it doesn't have to be (and can't be) all or nothing.
2. Discipline - I'm trying out IF, not because of any perceived edge, but for the mental strength that comes from knowing I'm not ruled by food.
3. Expanding my palate and thus my nutrient variety and intake.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Eating the way I'm always going to eat, no sugar, no grains, no starchy veg. This gives me the "permission" to eat anything I want when I want it, yet I choose not to. Weird, right?
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #20  
fluffy

S/C/G: 204/201/174

Height: 5'6''

It's different this time because:
 I have more time to workout,
 I have a better scale,
 I joined this forum to help me stay motivated!
Velvet bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #21  
Blessed Person Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet bean View Post
I didn't mention that one, but same here. 3FC is great help!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 174.8/166.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I just joined this forum today to help with motivation. Things I am doing differently than in the past:

1. Setting SMALL goals - my first one is to lose 5 lbs per month

2. Not counting/tracking calories - in the past I have quit because I get tired of doing that! I am trying to just be more mindful of what I eat and control snacking. If this doesn't work, I will re-evaluate.
akba15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #23  
Blessed Person Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet bean View Post
It's different this time because:
 I have more time to workout,
 I have a better scale,
Quote:
Originally Posted by akba15 View Post
I just joined this forum today to help with motivation. Things I am doing differently than in the past:

1. Setting SMALL goals - my first one is to lose 5 lbs per month

2. Not counting/tracking calories - in the past I have quit because I get tired of doing that! I am trying to just be more mindful of what I eat and control snacking. If this doesn't work, I will re-evaluate.
You and I are doing the same things! I have mini monthly goals of 5.5 lbs too! And I don't count calories.
Welcome and all the best to you for the rest of your journey.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #24  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I have learnt more with each diet i've taken on in the past 6 years. I've lost weight a number of times over that period, mostly with the help of a lot of exercise. I go on long cycling journeys which makes it really easy.

However this time, exercise is not part of my basic strategy though i do intend to do some for other reasons down the track. I want to win a 10km race.

So this time different things are:

1. don't depend on formal regular exercise. I do do gardening work which is strenuous but its an easily sustainable activity for me.

2. Fasting. I have only done one in two months but when i started out i thought i would use them more often. My intention is that if i find i stall or backtrack (which usually doesn't happen) I will fast for one whole day and drink only water. Its not easy but it can be done. And hopefully i won't have to do them very often. Its just part of my toolkit.

3. Be willing to keep to food diarising for ever. Its seems ridiculous to think i would actually do that but to be hoesnt, i think i have to try. This diet is for life. I will always have to be vigilant.

4. I have given up sweets before and its fine but I also don't want to rule it out forever. But i know i can't be moderate so i have some rules about when i can eat sweets - i.e. in company, but family doesn't count. The idea of company is that it will inhibit my tendency to keep on eating.

5. Oh another trick i learnt but which is not actually part of my diet since i am not eating sweets is to eat sweets at the beginning of the meal because if i leave it to the end, i usually just want to keep on eating more. If i do it at the beginning i go on to the next course and my sweet tooth is taken care of. But that's just a trick i learnt not so long ago. For now its no sweets. I still have to resolve what to do around christmas time.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #25  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

I am more focused on getting fit rather than skinny. My goal is to be more athletic.. which is something most people have never seen me be. I really want to run and I've never been able to.
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 217.6/153.2/140

Height: 5'5

1. Mini goals and much lower expectations. By that I just mean goals of losing 4 pounds, or whatever, where in the past my goal was to lose a whole 80 pounds.

2. Also, slowly incorporating diet changes rather than going cold turkey on everything at once. For example, the first time I started visiting this site I lost about 15 pounds in a matter of weeks because I started eating plain salads two meals a day and working out for 45-50 mins 5-6 days a week. That was great, although totally unrealistic for me. Of course I didn't stick with it and then gained all the weight plus some back. Which leads to:

3. Keeping in check with reality. I'm not expecting the unexpected out of my efforts, such as expecting to miraculously lose five pounds from one good day, and I'm also not expecting myself to stick to some crazy diet or exercise regime when I know I won't keep with it in a month. I'm only doing things that I know I can keep up with for now, and once I'm past the initial food withdrawals, I'll challenge myself again.
xRiotGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #27  
Time for Change!

S/C/G: 160/159/125

Height: 5'5"

I just joined the forum today, and I am trying something completely different this time. I've decided not to be a follower!
1.Although I am doing a high protein low/good carb diet, I have adapted it to incorporate ideas I have come up with through my own research and experiences. I eat lean proteins, seafood 3-4 days a week, whole grains, and lots of veggies. I eat red grapes if I want something sweet, and nuts and seeds as snacks. I avoid processed foods as much as possible.
2.I'm not starving myself this time, but instead not giving myself a chance to get hungry. By eating more often but in smaller amounts, my blood sugar remains more consistent, which I've read is essential for weight management. 3. I am not using diet pills or other miracle fixes/fads this time, but instead adding a few natural vitamins and supplements that not only help with weight loss, but will improve my overall health as well. (omega-3s, Vitamin D3, glucomannan which I haven't purchased yet, and apple cider vinegar, along with a good multivitamin, biotin for skin and hair health, and super B complex.)
4. I am doing Taebo for 45 minutes each morning 4-5 days a week.
5. I am forcing myself to get at least 6-7 hours of sleep a night.

I'm 40, it isn't all just about being skinny these days, but about my health in general! ;-)
AbnormallyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 AM   #28  
Blessed Person Here

Go girls!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 229/216/180

Height: 5'4"

Well I don't eat as many sweets on this diet as I did before. I also am trying to up my protein compared to 10 years ago. I find it's harder than I expected, especially when I want a snack. This means not eating as bread as I did before in hopes of losing weight faster since the first time it was a really slow weight loss. Last but not least, I've kind of through the scale away and will rely on my clothes. So far so good.
Waterbunny77 is offline   Reply With Quote