3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #67 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/290671-steel-magnolias-67-a.html)

Maggie 12-21-2013 12:43 PM

Scrumptous Saturday

GOOD DECEMBER MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

33° high today with a low of 17°. It is cold folks.

Last night when I was ready for bed before getting in bed I reached over to set bottle of lotion on my side table and in the process I knocked over my full water bottle and it hit on my toe next to the little one. This morning I think I may have broken it from the looks of it and it hurts. But I have never had a broken bone so don’t really know what one would feel like anyway.

Will is being Santa at the Applebee’s today from 11am till 1pm and I did not choose go down there and sit around for those 2 hours. When he is through there he will come home and change out of his Santa Suit and we will then go back there and have lunch. I think this is his last appointment to be Santa anywhere this year. Christmas is coming soon and I hope you are all ready. I have everything mailed out that I am sending this year except Thank You cards. I would really be amiss if I didn’t send those out.

Today I need to make sure I have all the things I need to make our Christmas Day meal of Prime Rib and the Chili Beans for Christmas Eve. We have been invited out for the Christmas Day meal but declined and are staying home but will visit with that group in the afternoon.

Have a great afternoon & evening my friends. :wave:
Always remember ~ A setback is only a setup for a comeback.

Jean 12-21-2013 10:50 PM

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been another cold, gloomy, windy day today. I've spent most of the day wrapping gifts and doing laundry. We did go see Anchorman 2 this afternoon. In our opinion, it is way over-rated; in other words we both thought it was stupid movie. The people sitting around us agreed.

Maggie -- FYI on a broken toe, and trust me! Tape it to the next toe and it will feel so much better. The doctor did that for me when I broke mine saying there is nothing else to be done for a broken toe. Actually, my dry peeling skin has pretty much cleared up, but my face is red, and it itches from time to time. I will put up with it until after Christmas and then call the dermatologist in Sioux City. Have fun with your new toys! :D

I am heading off to bed! Tomorrow is church, shop for a ham afterwards, and then home to work on more Christmas. I have a cat character Nativity set that I need to find! Hope you all enjoy a nice day tomorrow! :gift2:

gma22 12-22-2013 02:12 PM

Good afternoon gals. Just got back from the commissary about an hour ago and Jack settled down to take a nap and they called him into work. He is not happy about it, but with the promotion looming I guess he decided he should go out there. I hope it doesn't take too long. We have planned to go out to dinner tonight to our favorite pasta place, but we shall see how long it takes to fix the problem.

I still have a headache and though it lessens, it doesn't go away completely at all. Nothing has worked even for a little while. So, I guess I will wait and see if they call me back next week about it. I have to make an appt with my regular dr next week and I did call into the pharmacy and had the resident take all the info to pass onto the pharmacy dr and to my regular dr so we shall see. I have had no low blood sugar and not one bit of high blood sugar in the whole time I have been on this stuff.

I have got to get Thomas's presents wrapped as they are still sitting on the floor in the dining room and we are taking them to him on Tuesday evening! :lol: I don't suppose it would be the right thing to do to put them all in a black trash bag and say "Merry Christmas!" and give them to him, would it? :rofl::rofl: Just kidding, but I do hate to wrap presents.

Maggie: Thanks for the recipe. I already had that one as I belong to the Splenda recipe club thingy. For those cranberry cookies I found and did buy sf choc chips (instead of reg white choco) and found sf dried cranberries too so will make them better all around for me. I am going to bag them up into servings and freeze them just so I have treats for now and then. I am also going to make a sf custard pie I found on FB so I hope it is good. The lady uses truvia and the commissary actually had a jar where you can measure it instead of just packets so I bought it and Splenda to bake with. I agree whole heartedly with Jean. Tape the last toe to the one that got whacked and though it will turn black and blue, it will feel a lot better. Ice it if it swells though.

Jean: They have electrical contractors out at the plant and the guy that owns the company that won the bid to send them to the plant brought in hams for all his workers and gave Jack one two. They had been bbq rubbed and smoked, but I washed off all the rub, cut it in half and cut slices from one half and the other put in the freezer to bake with brown sugar/pineapple glaze for maybe new year's. We are having BBQ from across the street for Christmas Eve as it is the only place pretty much that will be open past 3-4 PM and for Christmas I am making a rotisserie chicken for the two of us. Since I hate Will Ferrell wouldn't have gone to see that one, but Jack really wanted to buy "The Family" with DeNiro and Michelle Pfeiffer about a family of mobsters in witness protection. I wanted "Dispicable Me 2" so we bought both. Have mercy do not buy the DeNiro picture. It is the worst thing we have ever, ever seen. It had no plot and was really stupid.

Well gals, I am going to read and knit, etc until I hear from Jack. Have a great afternoon. Faye

Jean 12-22-2013 04:47 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Just a quick "hello" since I'm upstairs collecting laundry to head down to the basement. It's a cold, windy day but the sun is shining this afternoon! Church attendance was skimpy this morning so I don't anticipate much to count tomorrow. I hope it will be short and sweet because I have lots to do before Wednesday! I did take time to read the paper after church, fixed lunch, and have made the expected party mix which the kids expect to take home with them.

"Gma" -- I feel sorry for Jack getting called in to work on a day off. I sure hope the doctor can come up with a solution for your headache. :yes: I still have clothes to wrap for the kids; I don't bother with boxes nor bags, just do the tissue paper and call it good. What is your recipe for the brown sugar/pineapple glaze for ham? We bought two nine pound hams this morning. I hope they turn out tasty good. :T They do have a tinfoil packet of glaze with them, but I really like pineapple. There is a Julia Roberts movie coming but I don't know the name of it. I like "happy ever after" movies! :D

I really did want to bake some cookies but not sure if I'm up for that now or not. I still have some wrapping to do too. Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday! :rudolph:

gma22 12-23-2013 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning all. We never did go out to eat last evening. He didn't get home until 6 PM and he decided to just fix himself a sandwich so I did too and that was that. I think we may go tonight.

Jack said there weren't going to be many guys at work today so he bought a couple dozen donuts to take out there. They have to be ready to work at 7 though as the motor they wanted last night didn't get there and is supposed to be there first thing this morning. Jack's only part in this is wiring up the electronics once the thing is installed so he will be sitting around waiting for that and probably eating donuts! :lol:

I had to sew up one of Jack's tshirts he bought on the ship this year. It already tore under the armpit in both seams. I stink on a sewing machine, but I am a darn good hand sewer (soer not suer :lol: ) and just fixed it right up this morning.

I have laundry that just finished in the washer so will be sticking it in the dryer and I will have it all done. I am hoping to make up those cookies today. Depends on how I feel. Right now my headache is midrange and hopefully it will back down this morning. I may go ahead and mix up the custard pie mix and put the pie in the oven though. My grandmother made the best custard pie so I hope this is even half as good using Truvia.

Maggie: I sure hope your toe is feeing better today. I know you have some things planned for the holiday you want to get done.

Jean: Does your church have a Christmas Eve service? Some churches do and some don't. I always liked the midnight service where they just had singing and it was lit in candles instead of lights with the wreathes and such. It was a way to make the kids sleepy for one thing! :lol:

Here is Jackson making a snowman on their back patio. They must not have had too much snow at this time because his snowman is a bit puny, but I am sure he had fun making it.

I best get things rolling for the day. You all have a great start to your week!
:hohoho:

Maggie 12-23-2013 12:23 PM

Marvelous Cold Monday

GOOD DECEMBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫ :tree:

It is a day here in the ♥-Land that is rather cold with the high tem at 20° and the low at 7°. No snow ~ just the cold.

Our new French press coffee mugs arrived today and look like they will be good ones. We will be trying them out later today for sure. I call them “stocking stuffer” items. We were given a nice loaf of homemade “flavored” bread and a box of candy a lady brought back from Hawaii to give to us and a few hundred dollars worth of restaurant gift cards. People delight in giving us gifts of food for they know we have everything we need anyway. :lol: I am going to slice that nice loaf of bread and freeze most of it in small packets to enjoy through the next few months. A piece of it toasted with a boiled egg and some fruit will make a lovely meal.

I found my container of Christmas music that had been hiding from me and am having a great time listening to the CD’s. I have a great range from classical, traditional to rock and roll.

DONNA FAYE How nice of Jack to take donuts to work to share with his co-workers. There doesn't have to be much snow for kids to have a great time in it ~ thanks for the picture. I have found using sugar subs made for baking do justice to the pies and such. Some sweeteners break down in the heat and I don't use them. You will find what works best for you by just trying different sweeteners made for baking.

JEAN Did you get some cookies baked ~ what kind? I love the smell of cookies being baked this time of year. Sadly I didn't make any this year ~ didn't want the temptation around. :o

Have a great afternoon my friends. :wave:
:wreath:

Jean 12-23-2013 04:12 PM

Good Afternoon, Flower! The sun is shining brightly but it's a cold 3 degrees in my corner of the world this afternoon. Wind chill is -16. :brr: There wasn't a lot of money to count this morning but some big checks from people who wait until the end of the year to pay their pledge in one lump sum. Gift shop money is in the bank too. I was going to stop for a gallon of milk on my way home and couldn't buy a parking spot so came on home. I'll send Bob later. ;) My house looks like a tornado hit and I need to get busy and hit the high spots. Wrapping is finished!

"Gma" -- I'm sure the guys enjoyed Jack's donuts this morning. :T We have three Christmas Eve services: 2:30, 7, and 10. Years ago we used to have an 11 that ended right at midnight but think that was too late for little kids and "old" people who don't like to go out after dark. The pastor is promoting the 7:00 service with something special for children. Not sure what that might be. We'll go to the 2:30 service. I'm sure Jackson is proud of his snowman. Cute picture!

Maggie -- I know you will enjoy your new coffee mugs. :yes: We have an Olive Garden gift card that we need to use soon. We have a funeral in Sioux City on Monday so may get to go then. On the other hand, there probably will be a lunch after the service. No cookies yet, but that's still on my "to do" list. I don't need them sitting here either but know the grandkids will snarf them down in no time.

I need to keep moving before I run out of steam. Enjoy the rest of the day! :santa:

gma22 12-24-2013 07:26 AM

Good morning to you all. Jack is snoozing away this morning as he is on holiday. He worked 15 hours yesterday and freaked me out bigtime. I knew that the work they did on Sunday could not be completed and the motor was supposed to be at the plant at 7 AM. They kept stalling and it didn't arrive until noon. On top of that, as Jack said things went from bad to worse, the strapped the thing over the motor and bent some rod, which made it blow up as they installed it and there is NO backup. From what I understand, there are 4 of these machines that bring in the sludge to the plant. Three of them have variable speed motors and one is straight speed. One of them has a broken rod and is being repaired at the same place the repaired motor for the other one came from, one is broken down and they can't figure out how to fix it and the third one is the one they were repairing and it blew up. From what Jack says, the constant speed machine cannot keep up with what is being brought into the plant and there has to be at least one of the variable speeds working. None of them are working right now. Jack didn't get home until 9:30 PM last night and two of the foremen, one of which is on vacation have to go in this morning. The place that has the bid for repair is supposed to go out and repair it at the plant today, but Jack says he is not going out there, period to connect the electronics. Today is our Christmas with Thomas and we are not going to sacrifice that. The thing that freaked me out is the last time I heard from Jack was when the motor arrived and he texted me it had gotten there, which was about 12:30 I think. He always calls or texts when he is going to work late and I heard nothing. I texted him starting around 4:30 about whether he was working and by 6 PM I was getting a bit freaked out because I had heard nothing and when I called the plant the phone rolled over to voicemail so I couldn't even check to see if he was out there, which would have allayed my fears. I was scared to death at any minute the cops would come knocking. I finally got him on the phone around 8 PM just enough for him to say he was ok and at work. He was down in the blower building and the reception was awful but I relaxed because I knew he was not on the road somewhere hurt or at the hospital or something. I am a nervous nelly anyway and I have to say, I was a mess by the time I finally got ahold of him.

On top of that, I got an explanation of benefits from Tricare and they didn't pay for my gyn appt saying I didn't get a referral. I had this problem one before at least 6 years ago with the gyn before the one who put me on the meds. I fought with them for months about it saying I didn't need a referral and I wasn't paying so we will probably have that again. I don't understand why the 5 years I saw the gyn who put me on the meds there was never a problem but the first appt with this guy there is. I have to tell you I am about done with health issues. I have put up with one thing after the other going wrong and now I am dealing with round the clock headaches that no one is helping me solve. I have the mammogram issue too and now what is going to happen with my hysterectomy if they tell me this guy isn't someone I can see? I will have to completely start over with another gyn and frankly with everything else in my life health wise I am not even sure I am up to it.

Maggie: I have packaged sf cookies that taste great and have Splenda in them and I know you use it for baking so I know the taste as far as sweetness is ok. I have used Truvia and it is good too. I made my pie and it came out fine and has a good taste to it. I will probably make the cookies tomorrow as we are alone on Christmas day. Cocoa mix is terrific btw.

Jean: Does Bob drink milk? I just wondered because half the time we don't use up a half gallon before it goes bad let alone having a whole gallon in the house. Hope the service is nice and you enjoy it.

Well girls, I am not sure if I will get in here tomorrow and I am sure you all will be busy so have a fabulous Christmas Eve and Christmas!!! Faye

Jean 12-24-2013 10:53 AM

Good Morning! Just taking a quick break . . . two pans of cheesy potatoes made. One about ready to come out of the oven (leftovers to send home), and one to bake tomorrow. Need to hunt for a gift I bought and can't find. Will's birthday is in Feb. so he may get it then! Have salads to put together after the hunt.

"Gma" -- It sounds like a major mess where Jack works. :( Wading through the medical insurance mumbo jumbo is enough to give anyone a headache. I feel for you! :hug: It was nice of Obama to add an extra day for people to sign up today. All of our local offices are closed today! :lol3: Bob does drink milk; once in awhile I have to pour a little down the drain but not often. I buy half gallon jugs. If I were alone I'd have to buy the smallest size available because I don't drink it.

I need to keep moving. Enjoy your day and Merry Christmas to all! :tree:

Jean 12-24-2013 12:30 PM

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Maggie and Will! Wishing you many more happy years together! :balloons: :cheer:

Maggie 12-24-2013 03:23 PM

Chistmas Eve

GOOD DECEMBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫ :wreath:

It is a day that will get up to 41° before it ends with a low of 20°. AH, but the wind duth blow mightily. We got a funny Christmas card from the museum director with another food card. Anyway the front of the card has a cat with a serious look on its face wearing a green sweater and a red Santa hat. The saying is “No animals were harmed during the making of this Christmas card.” Inside it reads…”The photographer, however, is in serious but stable condition and may be able to leave the hospital by New Year’s.”

I got so irritated with Beanie last night. He wanted outside and so I opened the door and let him out. Then when he knocked I went to the door and opened it and he ran back down the stairs. That went on 4 times and I finally just shut the door and left him out there. What he was waiting for was Ragg Mopp to come out then they both would come back in together as is their custom. Ragg Mopp didn’t want to go out at that time so Beanie just had to wait for awhile out there by himself. This all went on when I was getting things in order in the kitchen before going to bed. What a brat he can be but he is so cute at it. Today we bought them some chew treats and couldn’t find anything for Cecil but a can of food. He eats dry food so it will be a treat.

I need to go out the kitchen and mix up some more of those Jar mixes to give as gifts. I need at least 3 more. It is also time for me to get the chili beans going on the stove for our traditional Christmas Eve meal. So it is audios for awhile.

JEAN Thank you for the well wishes. It has been a great marriage so it should continue to be so. We have been blessed for sure. I am sure all your food will be yummy. Don't you just love this time of the year. Food cards seem to be the gift of the year for those of us who have everything we really "need." :D

DONNA FAYE OOO tough times at Jacks work. Hopefully they will get it all back to exact soon and running as it should. Will drinks a lot of milk and me not so much but ours never gets a change to go bad.

Have a great afternoon & Christmas Eve my friends. :wreath:
:tree:

QuilterInVA 12-25-2013 08:53 AM

:xcheer::elf: Only time for a quick Merry Christmas this morning. Our record temperatures from the weekend have now gone down to 25 degrees - 60 degrees difference. I am so thankful for my warm house and warm clothes.

Maggie 12-25-2013 05:28 PM

Christmas Day

GOOD DECEMBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫ :wreath:

Hello to all Magnolias. :wave: It is a wonderful Christmas day in the 40°s and we had a yummy dinner of prime rib, stuffing, green beans, cranberry/orange mixture and half of a baked potato topped with ff sour cream. It was all delicious and now in the fridge for a later time. We will be going out for dinner for several restaurants in town are open. We went for a nice drive about the country while sipping our coffee and had a nice peaceful of it time.

Nothing much going on this day but being home and enjoying it.

Have a great Merry Christmas Day my friends. :wreath:
:tree:

gma22 12-26-2013 08:23 AM

Good morning girls. I am baking cookies at the moment to stave off blowing my top. As I said, my insurance ran a couple of visits through point of service instead of network leaving me a bill for a total of $200 which I shouldn't have to pay. I was looking at the site this morning to make double sure my gyn was listed in network providers and just glanced at my referral authorizations and saw one dated last Monday the 23rd for a dr named Hammond that was approved. I thought it was a mistake until I clicked on it and found that someone, more than likely my regular dr did this. It is in reference to the calcium spots on my breast, but no one told me anything about it. I am fed up with all of this. I should at least be called before they go behind my back and make arrangements for me to see another dr. Jack says we will have to pay these other two bills and he doubts Tricare will give me a referral for the pharmacy visits, which means I don't go as I am not going to pay to sit there and have them look through my stuff and decide things for me. I will just go to my regular dr and this other one can sit in, but not get paid for it. As to this other thing, I guess I will go see him, but I am pretty steamed about it, hence baking cookies. I checked into whether they can do them both in one trip to the surgical unit and they can so I am going to fight this big time. I am not going under anesthesia twice within a couple months. My biggest problem is not calling me and talking with me about this first, just assuming I would go along.

We had a nice quiet Christmas. I made a rotisserie chicken and mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and rolls. We watched one of the older "A Christmas Carol" and just vegged out for the most part. We enjoyed Christmas eve with the kids too and Thomas liked his presents. His socks fit perfectly, btw. He put them on and walked around in them for awhile then said they were itching him and took them off so don't know how much he will wear them.

Jean: Hope you had a nice Christmas. I am done with birthdays until June, which is nice. I now just have to buy a new dishwasher, go through surgeries, try to get someone to listen to me about the darn headaches, etc. Fun way to begin the new year.

Maggie: Sorry I missed your anniversary. It didn't come up on my alarm thing for some reason. Hope you had a nice one.

Well gals, back to cookies and laundry. Have a nice end of the week. Faye

Jean 12-26-2013 11:08 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another cloudy, windy day in my corner of the world. We got a dusting of snow Christmas Eve during the night, but no snow in the next few days forecast. We had sunshine yesterday so my cat nose prints, that I forgot to clean off, added to the decor! Sonny's ratty looking rug was also mentioned; Jason asked if I couldn't afford a new one. Poor Sonny had a traumatic day yesterday. The kids were back and forth from the basement and would shut the door when they were downstairs. He evidently hid under the bed when they came, and couldn't get downstairs with the door closed. He finally did make it down to the laundry room to hide, and never came back up last night after everyone left when it was quiet. Ernie, of course, was right in the mix of things most of the day. Well, another Christmas has come and gone. Seems like more work every year, or else I just don't move as fast as I used to

I've become allergic to something! :hyper: It started out with a dry spot on one cheek and it would peel. I kept putting extra moisturizer on it and it would clear up for a day or two, then be dry again. Different areas of my face are scaly and now itch at times. I called the dermatologist in Sioux City and can get in Monday morning at 9:00 which really surprised me. The funeral is at 11 so I'm hoping the doctor appointment won't take too long.

Maggie -- I had to :D at the card from the museum. I don't think Sonny would sit still for a picture by anyone but me and then I have to be quick. How many years have you and Will been married? I'm sure you have said in years past but I forget. It was a bit warmer here yesterday, but still that raw cold with the wind blowing. The kids played outside for a few minutes a couple of different times.

Susan -- I feel sorry for the people who had no electricity for Christmas. I just caught the tail end of the news on that so not sure where it was. There was a water/sewer leak (?) a couple of blocks from church. We saw them working when we left church after the service. It was really cold and windy that day; I felt so sorry for the guys who had to work. We do have lots to be thankful for! :yes:

"Gma" -- I feel so bad for you having to deal with the musical doctors and medical system! :hug: I don't blame you for being angry! I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you, after listening to Bob talk about some of the snafus his clients go through.

The dishwasher is running and I have laundry to get downstairs. I'm ready to put Christmas away, but probably not until the weekend. The gift shop Christmas items are 50% off tomorrow and I have to work. I'm hoping for a sell out by noon. Enjoy a terrific Thursday! :wave: