Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #91  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning all,

Mel Moment from the past. I was heading out of the house to make my pilgrimage back to Mom's for Christmas and was having trouble posting my goodbye and Christmas wishes for y'all here. So I asked Mel to pass it along. She responded - "...i sent your undying love to all the chicks !! i had a terrible time last night too. took forever. i just kept loggng on with each tv commercial!! God forbid i should miss a christmas movie!! roflmao"

Geez how that woman loved her Hallmark Christmas channel movies

Geez it's cold out there. Minus 9, feels like 21 below with the wind and the sun is full on shining. Would probably be 40 below if it was cloudy out. The Christmas tree will have to wait until tomorrow when it climbs back up to at least zero. I am at the computer next to my trusty personal heater, one cat is snuggled deep in the comforter, the other is curled as tight as she can against DH's legs as he sits in the recliner reading a book. It's so cold out I don't even see the animals looking for food. Except maybe the chickadees - nothing seems to deter them but then when you get your meals one seed at a time, I guess eating is a long process

I'm going to make the chicken wild rice soup, clean up a bit and maybe do some Christmas cards. I should also dig out the garland and lights and do up the railing leading up to my loft. I love how that looks at night all lit up.

Laura - bummer on losing the post - hate when that happens Glad you found something at another store. I like Annie have some jewelry - both costume and good stuff and would be willing to lend it out if we were closer. I've seen some commercials on TV for the colored diamonds with pretty jewelry but let's be honest, up here you don't need much in the way of jewelry here - in fact, a lot of people don't even bother with wedding rings although I don't subscribe to that one myself. As Annie said - we can pool our stuff at the commune. I have enough fleece tops to clothe you all - pants are optional and your own problem

Ceejay - sounds like things are pretty routine back at the work front. Are you working the holidays? Do they have any company parties?

Hello to Annie and the boofheads at work Doesn't that just describe it perfectly? How is your foot and knee doing? I know what you mean about falling - I have to admit I have adopted that stiff legged gait because I am nervous about not so much falling as much as tearing something up as I twist like a cat to try and stay upright. I already have a weak nerve spot on my back from doing just that. As to your question about the thrift shop - we pay a small amount for rent - which is pretty much covers just the cost to heat and provide power to the place - the rest all goes to the animal shelter. It's interesting to see the creative ways they come up with to bring in money this time of year with fewer tourists and donations coming in. Animals need to eat, shelter needs to be heated every day whether money comes in or not. That's why on low earning days like I had last week, I throw a few extra bucks in the till. We are doing ok this month, we have a lot of cute gently used or even new Christmas stuff which is bringing in money. I think January through April are going to be some pretty lean months. Have you started or finished your Christmas shopping for the kids yet?

Shad - 8 floors up in your new flat? Sounds like you got the bell tower suite Actually it reminds me of Madcat's old place with the street noises and such. Is this the place that is nearer to the markets? I'm sorry but your card will be an email this year also. With you shifting about for work and me having to remember to mail your card by our Halloween in order to get it to you on time, it's more than my simple head can deal with. So ... without giving away plot lines, how did you like season 4 of Downton Abbey? Rumour has it they twisted a few things around - was it successful or one of those "why did you go and ruin a good thing?" things? I agree that Maggie Smith is one of the most charming and interesting characters in the series and she plays the role as if she was born for it. Thanks for identifying the location of Mel's red book. I just realized that poor Jen has got to clean and shift her own apartment as well as Mel's. She will be busy AND tired I'm sure. I need to get a card out to her.

Michelle - at least with something to do right now it takes away from the frustration of waiting on phone calls. I agree with you on the government paperwork. When I was working for the Census, each enumerator had to fill out 14 - yes FOURTEEN pages of forms. And as the training supervisor I had to sign each and every one of them. Talk about major hand cramps! I am a stickler about a legible signature but in the end it became a scribble at best since they would not let me use a stamp. So much red tape! Do you have to get fingerprinted too as part of the background check?

Hi Susie

Time to go nudge the sleep kitties Later chicks.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #92  

Shad – Glad you’re settling in to your new digs and can do something else with your precious spare time other than apartment hunting. So…when is the niece’s due date?? Has anyone been knocked out of the baby pool yet? Re the trains – it’s been major mismanagement for many years now. Tthe powers that be have been too busy perfecting corruption. The capital funds have been used for daily operating needs, so of course maintenance has been neglected. And no fare increases for many years until a year or two ago when they hit us with a huge one. Duh. I’ll stop now before I go into a full-on rant. Nice you’ll see little S at Christmas and get to see in person how she’s grown. Is boofhead a common derogatory name in NZ and/or Oz?

Happy – What happened to the Christmas decorations from past years? Did you get rid of a lot before your move?? Or are you just in the mood for something new and different. I think you should buy a few of those cute little potted pine/fir trees and enjoy them over the holidays and then plant them come spring. In future years you’ll have trees to chop down for Christmas. Mel got me started with Downton Abbey and now it seems all of us Worldlies are fans. I have to set up a reminder so I set the DVR for the premier – and whatever recap shows they’ll be running before that. Just saw your latest post – LOL, good Mel moment! Yes, I will forever think of Mel when I have the Hallmark channel tuned in. Yummm, chicken wild rice soup!!
Ceejay – The 40’s sound heavenly at this point. Enjoy.

Michelle – Still praying and sending positive vibes for your dream job to come true.

Annie – Looking forward to borrowing your jewelry at the commune. How’s your knee feeling today??

Hi Susie!!
Forgot to mention my WW weigh-in. Up 1.6. Aaaargh. I wasn’t expecting that. In fact, it seems that the results on the ww scale are less predictable than they used to be when I would compare them to the same day reading on my scale at home, and that’s sort of frustrating. But focusing on did I actually do what I needed to do to have shown a loss, or just maintained, I have to admit I haven’t been OP and exercise has been almost non-existent the past couple weeks, so this is the result.
Unfortunately, this weekend will be very challenging for weight maintenance. I’m taking a vacation day on Friday and bf and I are driving up to a resort near the Dells in WI for this vow renewal ceremony on Saturday. On Friday night, a group of us will get together for dinner – the hub half of the happy couple just had his 50th bday and we’re going to celebrate that. So a lot of meals out and not much exercise. The resort where the ceremony/reception will be held and where we’re staying for two nights has a little water park in it, so we’ll definitely be using that, but I don’t see myself using it beyond some Jacuzzi time. Swimming doesn’t appeal to me at the moment – unless I’m in the tropics on a nice sandy beach!! I’ve decided I will just try to practice portion control, but not really restrict the types of food I eat.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #93  

Shad – Glad you’re settling in to your new digs and can do something else with your precious spare time other than apartment hunting. So…when is the niece’s due date?? Has anyone been knocked out of the baby pool yet? Re the trains – it’s been major mismanagement for many years now. Tthe powers that be have been too busy perfecting corruption. The capital funds have been used for daily operating needs, so of course maintenance has been neglected. And no fare increases for many years until a year or two ago when they hit us with a huge one. Duh. I’ll stop now before I go into a full-on rant. Nice you’ll see little S at Christmas and get to see in person how she’s grown. Is boofhead a common derogatory name in NZ and/or Oz?

Happy – What happened to the Christmas decorations from past years? Did you get rid of a lot before your move?? Or are you just in the mood for something new and different. I think you should buy a few of those cute little potted pine/fir trees and enjoy them over the holidays and then plant them come spring. In future years you’ll have trees to chop down for Christmas. Mel got me started with Downton Abbey and now it seems all of us Worldlies are fans. I have to set up a reminder so I set the DVR for the premier – and whatever recap shows they’ll be running before that. Just saw your latest post – LOL, good Mel moment! Yes, I will forever think of Mel when I have the Hallmark channel tuned in. Yummm, chicken wild rice soup!!

Ceejay – The 40’s sound heavenly at this point. Enjoy.

Michelle – Still praying and sending positive vibes for your dream job to come true.

Annie – Looking forward to borrowing your jewelry at the commune. How’s your knee feeling today??

Hi Susie!!
~~~

Forgot to mention my WW weigh-in. Up 1.6. Aaaargh. I wasn’t expecting that. In fact, it seems that the results on the ww scale are less predictable than they used to be when I would compare them to the same day reading on my scale at home, and that’s sort of frustrating. But focusing on did I actually do what I needed to do to have shown a loss, or just maintained, I have to admit I haven’t been OP and exercise has been almost non-existent the past couple weeks, so this is the result.

Unfortunately, this weekend will be very challenging for weight maintenance. I’m taking a vacation day on Friday and bf and I are driving up to a resort near the Dells in WI for this vow renewal ceremony on Saturday. On Friday night, a group of us will get together for dinner – the hub half of the happy couple just had his 50th bday and we’re going to celebrate that. So a lot of meals out and not much exercise. The resort where the ceremony/reception will be held and where we’re staying for two nights has a little water park in it, so we’ll definitely be using that, but I don’t see myself using it beyond some Jacuzzi time. Swimming doesn’t appeal to me at the moment – unless I’m in the tropics on a nice sandy beach!! I’ve decided I will just try to practice portion control, but not really restrict the types of food I eat.

That's it for me. Take care everyone!!

Last edited by Laura705; 12-11-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #94  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,

A Mel moment from 3rd December 2007
IT SNOWED THIS MORNING AND MOTHER NATURE IS DRESSID IN HER WINTER WHITES. LOOKING STUNNING IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF. IF THEY DON'T CANCEL THE MALL TOMORROW I HOPE TO GO WITH JEN. IT'S THE WINTRY MIX WE'RE EXPECTING WITH THE COLD TEMPS THAT COULD RUIN OUR PLANS. HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.
TURNED ON MY LITTLE TREE AND I AM BATHED IN CHRISTMAS SPIRIT!! I AM HO HO HOING ALL OVER THE HOUSE!
LIKE ROSEBLUSH, I HOPE A FEW STRAY CHICKS COME AND SAY HELLO FOR THE HOLIDAYS.

HAPPY SUNDAY AND A PEACEFUL DAY FOR ALL

In the same post she observed (snow storm in Canada apparently)

MADCAT~ MAYBE YOU AND CARLA AND RUTH SHOULD HAVE MET UP AND GOTTEN STUCK IN A BAR/RESTAURANT WITH THIS STORM

Laura - my niece was due on the 6th of December. To date no little arrival. My bet was for the 9th, so I am out. Don't know how many people are still in as I haven't spoken to her about that this week. I should have known that the baby would have been later than 3 days. Soon as I know, I will let you know.
Sorry to hear of the weight gain. You're right, there has to be a complete balance of food, exercise and fluid to lose the weight. However you are doing so well - wish I had half the willpower.
Glad to hear that you found the jewellery you wanted. Better send a pic.

Happy - Mel and Christmas. She had so little but she sure used what she had to keep bright and cheerful and always helpful
I've enjoyed the DA series. Maybe it is now more 'dramatic' than it was and they have been putting in some actors/singers from other places to make it more 'international flavoured' I guess. 1st episode has Dame Kiri Te Kanawa playing Dame Nellie Melba and giving a recital at the abbey. That's about all I'll say about that.
Chicken soup sounds good. I loved the thought of the potato soup though and may just try that one, but probably not until after I come back from Christmas break.
It seems that boofheads abound in the workplace. Got one or two here.

Michelle - anything new on the job hunt?

Ceejay - hope the ice hasn't got into the water yet. I didn't realise it got so cold down by you.

Annie - how are you today. Still aching and paining from the boofhead ice????

Hiya Susie. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

I'd better go do some work. I will keep this open and finish off the personals later. Have a great day. Mine will be boring and hard since I am fixing up other peoples booboos. I was amazed to discover that some of them can't use the simulation tool very well and others are too lazy to finish off the Work Instructions that are developed alongside the simulations. Struth, I know we are busy but if you finish all the information at the same time, you DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK AND REDO!!!!! Or is that just me???

Last edited by Shad; 12-11-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #95  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Hey girls

I am moving slow today, as a matter of fact, just got here at 9 am. Was 3F today and decided to wait and come in when daylight hit. I am so over this job, weather and everything else and was just discussing with Ms. Sassy this morning about moving to a warmer climent. She hates this weather and peed the bed a tiny bit the past 3 nights. We have beach towels covering the issues and do not have time to do sheets till Saturday.....it wasn't much but just enough to gross me out. C slept on the good side, me on the couch.
Will come back with personals later.

Love and hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #96  

Morning all. This Mel graphic is the tags she mentioned using last year for some goody bags she gave to people in the office and/or building.

Shad - Mel's comment "turned on my little tree and I am bathed in Christmas spirit!!" makes me smile. I guess I could say that's the feeling I get when I turn off all the lights in the living room except for the tree lights. I love that glow.

Annie - Yeh, at this point many of us are wondering what the heck we're doing living in this climate. Just trying to get through it. Poor Sassy. And poor A & C dealing with the sheet issue! Though I do have to say that even if I didn't have a 2nd set of clean sheets to put on the bed, I'd be sleeping on a bare mattress if necessary!

Hello to the rest of the Worldlies!!

Not much to report today. It's my Friday, so TGIF for me! Tonight I'll be packing for our weekend away. We probably won't be leaving until late morning, early afternoon tomorrow, but I just want to be 90% done with the packing tonight. Tomorrow morning I hope to get out and get my out of town gifts taken care of, if not wrapped, packed & shipped.

Everyone have a good day!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Morning
It's cold out this morning and so thankful that I didn't have to get out this morning to go to work.

Laura
Have a safe trip tomorrow.

Shad
Mel did love Christmas and thanks for sharing. Wow didn't realize that you were 8 stories up. At least you get some extra exercise if you take the stairs.

Happy
Sometimes it is good to have something different for Christmas decorations. I just simply don't like decorating a tree and then have to take it down again. I had a small on last year and got it out this year but didn't decorate it. Put up my small fiber optic trees. Thinking about getting three more if I can find them this year.

Hi Susie

Last edited by ceejay52; 12-12-2013 at 10:45 AM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #98  
Annie - Indiana

More Ugly News

My younger cousin, Brandi, has had what they thought was pneumonia (sp) for the past 4 months. Well she was finally diagnosed with lung cancer. They do not know where it originated. Outlook not so good. Please pray for her and her 10 mo old daughter and hubby.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #99  
Choose your hard

Morning ladies,

Love the Mel tags Laura. Good choice!

Annie - that is really sad news about your niece. And with such a tiny one to watch over. I send healing prayers her way. Geez, what's in the water out your way? Sorry to hear of so much illness. Stay strong and help the others to do the same I guess if I had short legs like Sassy (who by the way makes my stubs look like Vicky's Secret models ) - I would be hating on the snow and cold weather too. We are sitting in a blanket of frozen snow ourselves - DH said this morning we will probably have this stuff sticking around until March of next year. What a depressing thought! But then again I am starting to forget how living in a place that was warm year round had it's own set of problems and annoyances so nothing is perfect. Unless we got to live in Hawaii

Ceejay - I agree, it's nice to change out the decorations occasionally. I hope you find more fiber optic trees.

Laura - hope you have a nice weekend and a good getaway for the vow renewal ceremony. I think the weather is supposed to hold up for travelling or was it today that you were supposed to get snow again? Be safe!

Shad - reading your comment on the workplace from your last post, does anyone ever embrace the new ways or do they just continue to struggle and ignore things until they finally realize that resistance is futile??? I certainly don't envy your herculean task of educating the unwilling After this you should get a job with preschoolers - should be easy peasy with all your patience through the years. Thank you for the Mel memories - you have picked out some that just bring her back into my heart

Hello to the rest of the Worldlies

I need to get myself together. We went looking for a tree yesterday and didn't see anything I liked in the way of trees or decorations here so we will expand the search today. And to your question - Laura - I do have decorations here in the house. A small - 3 foot - fiber optic tree I have used for a couple of years now when I wanted no fuss decorating. I also have my big white fancy tree that looks department store window glorious and takes me 2 to 3 days to decorate it. That's the tree you have to put up right at Thanksgiving because for so much work, you want to look at it a long time. What I would really like to find is the box I had up in my attic that is somewhere in one of the super cold garages outside. That has my favorite ornaments I have collected through the years from my very first Christmas tree. It has a lot of one of a kind stuff. DH was not fond of the hodge podge look and that's when I relented one year with the white fancy, pantsy tree. If nothing comes out of today's search, I might do the white one provided I can find the tree stand.

Anyway - have a good one everyone. I will try and get back later.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #100  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Super quick post...boss is in early this morning.

Annie - I'm so very sorry to hear about your cousin. Sending prayers for her. I'm keeping your brother in my prayers as well. And sending you and your whole family much love, hugs and many prayers.

I love all the Mel memories and graphics!

I'll try and post tonight. It seems by the time I get home, eat and am showered and in my jammies..I just don't want to do much else.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #101  
Creating a Healthier Me

Need some advice my friends:

The job I really wanted has morphed into a 4-month contract to hire with no benefits. The company wants to see how the new person fits in a role before bringing them on full-time. The hourly rate is really good (to compensate for no benefits or PTO), and if I do a good job and if the role/job qualifications they need don't change over the four month period, they'd hire me as a permanent employee. And this position is roughly a 15 minute commute.

OR

I have been offered a long-term (5-year) contract position assigned to a Federal Government department located in San Francisco. Really good pay, and it offers time off and benefits, and it's fairly stable since it's such a long-term contract, but the commute would be roughly 90 minutes each way taking high speed rail (BART) for most of the commute.

And I've been in the job market a lot lately, so I'm a bit jaded. I know that you just can't believe a job is long-term, permanent or "safe". So now I'm trying to weigh both offers as having equal chances of being long-term. Then it comes down to going 4 months without benefits (but I could sign up for COBRA for not too much money) and then once the San Jose job goes permanent I would get benefits....versus a long commute. The San Jose job would be more interesting...more of a graphic design + web design + programming role in the Marketing department, versus the San Francisco federal government job is doing more content management on an intranet. Definitely something to ponder.

Last edited by diyana; 12-12-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #102  
Choose your hard

Ok Michelle - since you asked I'm going to be totally blunt with you. Because I think a true friend would be honest and forthright - someone who does want the best for you instead of a cheer coach of all ponies and rainbows rah rah sys boom bah.

Fact - you've had a lot of jobs in the last 18 months. You need stability. While longevity doesn't count for as much as it once did, it still is a turn off to some people. As a former manager and I.T. director when I had to hire someone I wanted to make the most of my efforts in the most efficient amount of time. Nothing irked me more than people who would waste my time by trying to convince me that they were the best candidate for the job and really wanted to work for me only to come to find that they were either trying to get their foot in the door or took my offer just until something better came along leaving me high and dry and resulting in me putting forth twice the effort because I had to re-interview, re-hire and re-train. I say this because I'm not the only person who's been burned and one day you might be interviewing with a person for a job you really want who may scrutinize your job record more than you think and you lose out on something without ever knowing why.

Fact - you are a single woman who needs to support herself for a good, long time. You need stability. While you might have future living arrangements, what would happen if that didn't work out? Having something that provides for you and Santa needs to be your biggest priority.

Fact - you're not twenty anymore. While everyone would like an interesting job at this point there should be considerations that carry a lot more weight than fun and exciting and with them the potential of something that might not last very long. At this point in your life benefits are really important. Pay is important. The ability to save - especially if you don't have much now - is or should be crucial to you. You are also in the Silicon Valley area - there's a lot of competition for jobs out there.

The fact that this job has turned into a short term gig would send a big red flag to me. That opens the door to allowing them to be more picky about who they let in the door and gives them a lot of leverage to tell someone "sorry you just don't fit in". From a management and budget perspective this also means the job itself can be subject to getting yanked for budgetary reasons and no permanent job may ever appear. Did they actually extend an offer to you or did your recruiter just tell you that the terms of the job changed?

As for the SF job. I took the commuter train - one hour each way twice a day for 22 years. (Laura commutes too). Aside from the occasional mishap, I LOVED the train. Weather is hardly ever a factor unlike driving. A train ticket is still cheaper than driving when you factor in gas, insurance, wear and tear and maintenance on the car. My last 2 jobs were 10 mile commutes and even for such a short hop I would walk in cussing with my hair standing on end from dealing with the idiots on the road. That didn't happen on the train. I always contended that half the aggravation of working was the commute. The other reason I liked the train was that those were 2 hours of the day I totally had to myself. I could read, nap, write, plan my day or just meditate. I missed that when I started driving again. And with smart phones now, there's even more you can do to fill that time. Walking from the train station to work and back again will get you daily exercise. Several of us who drove and lived in once walk friendly cities bemoaned the fact that we missed walking when all we did was get in and out of our cars. And you don't ever have to worry about bundling up and facing the frosty blast hitting you in the face from Lake Michigan on a January's frigid day (right Laura ) And I've ridden BART several times - from the Fremont station too it's a really nice train line - even nicer than Chicago's Metra although they have upgraded the (Chicago) cars since I've been on them.

Obviously I would counsel you to take the job that offers good pay, stability and benefits. Hopefully you can jump right in and there's no learning curve to rush to speed to learn new software. You can always take some classes if you want to increase your skills.

It does sound like the carrot of your interest is that short commute. If you are willing to risk everything for that, that's certainly your choice but I think it's time you set down some roots.

And that's the advice I'd give you or any of my friends in I.T. at this point in time. My 20 year old nephew has the time to gamble and sample - I don't think you do.

Last edited by happy2bme; 12-12-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #103  
Creating a Healthier Me

Wow. Thanks, Happy for your insight. I really appreciate it, especially given that you can bring a management perspective. I really understand and agree with what you said. Sadly...with the San Francisco job, I would still have to contend with commuting traffic for 30 minutes each way just to get to the train station, then an hour on the train each way. BART isn't as nice as I remembered it being. The cars definitely show wear, but it's still ok. I was just a little surprised to see how many homeless people I had to walk past between the SF train station and the office building. According to the hiring manager for the SF job, the office is moving to another building closer to the BART station.

I agree with you that it's time to settle down. A former manager who I use as a reference, just emailed me. He thinks that the SF job sounds like the better/more stable option.

I definitely have lots of thinking to do. When the SJ place calls me, I will likely mention to them that I have received a job offer for a position in SF, and while the SJ job is more appealing to me, it would be difficult for me to accept a contract position over a position that offers benefits.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #104  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Have to agree with Happy. I think you have been extremely fortunate in that you have been offered work frequently. Contract work is the coming thing and a 5 year contract is just about unheard of. It's like permanent work for us. I've been contracting for 20 years and although I love the freedom of it, there is no permanency and no benefits. I'm lucky that my reputation is established. Many employers here are using it so they can employ people quickly and get rid of them quickly. So I would be looking at the 5 year contract since as Happy said, it gives you some stability into the future. May not be the most glamorous job, but it brings in the bucks and you can always do study for some form of certification - train journeys are great for studying. Up to you, but I think the other one is a no goer. Either they are not sure of you and your qualifications, or they are experimenting to see who's out there and available. If that is what they are doing, then they have no idea what they are looking for. Ask for a permanent job guarantee and see what reaction you get. I would be extremely wary. Choice is yours.

I'll be back after dinner to read and chat.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #105  
Annie - Indiana

CHELLE...I must say, I agree with HAPPY and SHAD. Thank you for the Christmas card too

Will come back later when my fingers are unfroze.