Worldly Chicks Remembering Melody at Christmas

You're on Page 4 of 18
Go to
  • Winter has arrived in the northwoods

• Morning all,

These were taken this morning AFTER the first shoveling / plowing yesterday. DH is not happy about having to go out again today because not only is it snowy but it's darn cold out there. And going to get even worse. I'm glad we didn't get quite as much ice as they talked about and I was shaking in my chair yesterday as the lights flickered a bit several times. We are totally dependent on electricity here - without it we don't have light, water or the all important heat. Most of the lines are buried here but if a tree snaps - and all the trees are heavily loaded down with wet snow soon to freeze solid - then all bets are off when things start snapping.

I'm going to try and make it to the thrift shop this afternoon. It's sunny out so I hope they have the roads plowed. If they are too bad, we'll just turn around. I feel badly if I skip out - the animals need to be fed no matter what and the shelter workers made it in I see. I'm hoping with the sun out, there will be more people roaming around town.

Don't have a lot of time to post so I'll make brief personals.

Michelle - good luck on the new job today.

Annie - thanks for explaining the difference - I always get them confused. Glad C doesn't have the inflammation one - that's what my Mom has - severely limits the food choices and is tough to adjust to. Keep us posted on the outcome. Hope you don't get socked too badly with the weather.

Ceejay - stay SAFE. I'd be dreading this coming weekend. Nothing scared me more than ice down there. Bad for driving, lots of power outages and downed trees. Hope it's not as bad as they predict.

Laura - glad you got a chance to get the yard in order before the cold and snow set in. Smart idea covering the wheelbarrow. I understand your comments about the sewing. I once worked with a woman who was quite petite and decided to take up sewing just to get things to fit. I was amazed at her incredible tailoring skills because at the time we were wearing suits to work. Tailoring is a whole different level to sewing. Like the difference between a home cook and a chef. I'm a level below you. I can sew. If it's not quite right, I just cuss at it instead of redoing it.

Shad - I totally understand the issue with finding a short term apartment lease. We had the same issue when we first moved to TN. I didn't want to commit to a year long lease because we wanted a house as soon as possible. I wanted a 3 month or month to month lease and most places considered 6 months a short term lease. Not much to pick from and they all charged a big upcharge for the privilege too. Hope you find a little gem soon. The hotel type might be your only choice. I thought you might have more options considering you are in a city and not in a little mining town this time but it just goes to show you...

Hi Susie

I've got to get ready now. Will look for a Mel nugget later when I get back.
  • Mel thoughts for the day back in 2009
    Good Morning Chicks Of The World. When I Got Off Here Last Night, I Rolled Over To The Window...and What To My Wondering Eyes Did Appear?...but A Driveway Full Of Snow But No Reindeer
    The Snow Miser Was Good On His Word And Gave Us The Dusting He Must Have Known How Much I Needed It.
    Other Than That...all Is Well And Quiet Here In The Bldg. The Seniors Are Going Out Today And Make Their Free Holiday Long Distance Phone Calls...all Paid For By Merrill-lynch. God Bless Them. Now They Can Talk Overseas For A Few Minutes To Long Lost Family. It's Such A Good Thing M-l Is Doing. I Am Ging To Watch More Harry And Xmas Stuff. So Have A Great Sunday.

Laura~ Thanks For The Note. Cheered Me Up For Sure. Hope Your Calves Feel Better!! Ouch!! Good Thingyou Got The Numbing Shots. What Are Dentists Thinking Of Anyway?? You Better Get To Decorating Your Place...what Are You Waiting For?? January?? When Is That Block Party??? Do I Sound Like The Nagging Mom-type??? Love Trader Joes

Hope you are taking notice of that one Laura.

I saw one to Happy about opening the doors to Christmas smilies. It was a typical Mel event. Probably written about 1 hour after everyone had risen from the table after Thanksgiving Dinner. I'll try to find it again.

This one is missing the odd smilie since I don't have the time to save them to photobucket and bring them back. I might have a go at that over the weekend.

Saw an apartment I would be able to live in yesterday, much smaller than the one I now have and immediate tenancy and a lot cheaper as well. There is one more I have to see at lunch time today, and then I will make the decision. The one today is on the waterfront, right next to the weekend markets and the supermarket and across the lagoon from Te Papa - the national museum. Could be an interesting place to live. It's downfall is that the tenants don't move out until the 17th and I must move by the 18th. Not a lot of time to get cleaning done etc.
    I'll let you know. At the moment I am leaning towards the one available today. It's modern, clean, freshly painted and decorated, is convenient to work (10 minutes walk down the hill - 15 mins walk up it) Not too close to a supermarket tho' altho there is a bottle store on the ground floor. Who needs food????? And the tenancy period is flexible. I had better check the tenancy period on the other one before I march off down there at lunch time.

Having said that. I'd also better go do some work.
    Having some internet issues as well. Thankful that I haven't lost this post.
  • Brrrrr
    It's getting colder outside. I've gotten all of my errands completed and I'm all settled in waiting on the storm.

Happy
    I was hoping for a picture of the snowfall. It's beautiful with all those tree's. Heard on the news this morning that Memphis will get this stuff too.
    Do you feed and water the animals also or do you just work in the store?
    That's something I'm going to look into when I retire.

Shad
    I was puzzled at first when I read your post. Thought really, Shad having snow. But then I realized it was from Jenn. Glad she is still keeping in touch. Living by the water front would be nice.

Laura
    My mom was a seamstress. She'd rather take the clothes apart than make them. I just don't have the patience for it. Wish I did.
    _________
    I took some things over to my sick friend. She had more color in her face and was beginning to act like herself. But she is still not completely well.
    I am freaked out with the bad weather that's on it's way. Guess it's because I'm dependent totally on electricity and like Happy with no power comes no lights, heat or water. I was going to buy some extra water but Walmart was
    completely sold out.
    And believe it or not my weigh in this morning was 193. Only .8 pounds lost but hey I'll take it.
    I forgot about a doctor's appointment in Jonesboro tomorrow but I'm calling today to cancel that. I'm not driving in this stuff at all. Infact they will be coming to get me Sunday if they want me at work.
  • Mel Moment ...

...ON THIS THREAD WE ARE ALL SISTERS UNDER THE SKIN. ABOVE THE SKIN WE ARE JUST A BUNCH OF NUTTERS WHO WANDERED INTO THE SAME FORUM!

I LOVE TO LOOK IN THE IKEA CATALOG. IN MY NEXT LIFE I MIGHT HAVE A WHOLE HOUSE FULL OF IKEA STUFF. LAVENDAR IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. I THINK I CAN SMELL IT OVER HERE!! ENJOY! ...

Dear Nutter Friend, I hope this Christmas finds you in your new place filled with lovely furniture and decorations from Ikea. I hope you have a big, beautiful Christmas tree filled with lavender ornaments that look and smell delightful. Take a big whiff and enjoy - no sneezing, no sniffling and no more problems with the eyes or the Rosacea. And I hope you are able to climb the ladder and place an angel on the tree top.
  • Shad - I loved your Shad story about the Christmas apples How fun is that with him waiting for you to get on with the decorations? Thanks for the warning - I have tiny shiny red apples I put on the fiber optic tree - I'm sure they will be great fun to bat about the floor and knock through the railing in the loft area. That apartment by the waterfront sounded nice - being close to the food shopping is an added benefit BUT as you say, only one day to clean up, move in and get settled is not nearly enough. Let us know what you decide on and if there is room for us too - we need someplace warm to hang out in. As for the bottle store, after some of the days you've had, perhaps you'd better partake of sustenance of the liquid kind Thank you for today's Mel memory. I forgot that Mel liked the snow.

Ceejay - glad you were able to get all your errands completed and are ready to hunker down for the weekend. I worried about you driving too. Especially when they are talking a half inch of ice. I agree - let them come get you and provide transportation. I hope it's not as bad as they predict. Congrats on the weight loss. You may lose more from worry or shivering in the cold!

I did make it in to the thrift shop this afternoon. $6.86 in sales. 2 men who came in separately and were very quietly in the back for a long, long time looking at books. It almost creeped me out. Then I closed out my cash drawer at 10 minutes before the hour and darn if some lady didn't rush in 2 minutes before 4pm. I told her we were closing but that didn't stop her - she was excited about all the new Christmas stuff that was set out. Of course I made a mistake ringing her up and now there will be an imbalance on the drawer tomorrow but I have all the supporting doco to explain it. The morning volunteer didn't come in either. I should have stayed home too but I keep thinking of those sad little animal faces. I did take some dog treats over to sell at the vet's center and mailed out the driver's license of the man who dropped it on the floor on Tuesday and has still not figured out that it's missing. So all was not lost. It is VERY cold out there. The turkeys hung around all day and the deer are constantly coming tonight. I ran out to the garage to drop a bag of trash in there and when I touched the metal knob with my bare hand, my skin almost stuck to it. It's that cold. 1 degree and falling. I'd better go and put some towels at the base of the doors to cut the draft.

Hope the weather doesn't hit us too hard. Later chicks.
  • Slip sliding away, slip sliding away. la lalalallaaalaa

Made it to work in one piece. There were only 3 cars I saw that slid off the road. I did leave 15 minutes earlier than normal. Poor Sassy was having nothing to do with going potty in the 5" of snow. So I broomed a 4 foot path from the back door to the fence. She still wouldn't go, so I guess she may have an accident in her cage today. We are supposed to have round two starting around noon for an additional 1-3". Bleh...Me thinks we need to move the commune to a warmer climate....look out Shaddie here we come.

Tried a new fruit that I picked up at the grocery the other day. Only bought one as they are expensive and didn't know if I would like it. You all probably have heard of it or have eaten it. It is an apple-pear. Looks like a pear but crunches like an apple and is quite tasty. May have to get a couple more.

SHADDIE...this job sounds like a major PIA. Hope you like your new digs better than the first one. When reading Mellie's post from past, I started getting all teary eyed, then read HAPPY's and literally cried. You know I miss her like I miss my own momma and daddy.

HAPPY...what beautiful pictures of your place. Snow is lovely if you don't have to shovel or go anywhere. If only it would snow on the grass and not the concrete or wood decks. haha MELLIE would love your pictures also.

LAURA....cheeseburger and curly fries, yikes, that would start me on a downward slide. You are far better at eating healthy than I.

CEEG...we got the same slammin weather that you did. Bleh Glad you got all your errands done and sitting back to enjoy the snow storm.

CHELLE...good luck on your interview today. Hope it all goes well and you are one happy chickie.

SUSIE....prayers for your hubby's ablation. How did you to at TOPS this week?

Have a great Friday/eve all.

Love and hugs.
  • You know I'm thankful that we had such warm temps on Wednesday. Last nights freezing rain didn't make things slick here, but it is sleeting now and will change over to snow later.
    I'm still praying that we don't lose power.

Annie
    You are brave to drive into work this morning.

Michelle
    Good luck with the job interview today.
  • Morning all. TGIF!!!

Annie - Still not eating like I should be, but taking lunch to work yesterday and today is better than eating out. If only I hadn't eaten that slice of cake from the coffee room! Glad you made it to work safely. Stay safe getting home - it'll be dark(er) and more snow. Ugh. Poor Sassy.

Ceejay - Ick, rain-snow mix. Fingers that you don't lose power!! Is it your weekend now? Hope you can just hole up at home and don't have to go out in this. Good job re the loss - a loss is a loss and NOT a GAIN, and during the holiday season, it's a victory!

Happy - Pretty photos, but all that snow and now the frigid temps! Brrr. Fingers also for you that you don't lose power, especially since you rely on electricity for your heat. I should probably know this, but we have a newer gas furnace, but doesn't it also rely on electricity for the fans to work or does the gas power the blowers too?? I know our gas stove/oven has an electric ignition system, and I believe the broiler is an electric element, not a gas flame. Furthermore, the oven has a convection option that relies on electricity. Gosh, if we lost electricity here we might be roasting weenies while huddled around the fireplace! Love that snippet re Mel & Ikea & lavender.

Shad - LOL re your Mel snippet - not sure which year that was, but it is typical of the bf and I to be constantly behind on everything, especially our holiday decorating. Is it no surprise that I finally threw out the last ripening (okay, it was rotting) garden tomato from the windowsill just this past weekend and that we still have leaves to rake?? Anyway, the weekends are getting filled up by now, so this weekend might be the one to take heed of Mel's comment & get the tree & other decor out of storage and the halls decked. Hope you signed for some nice(r) digs by now and that the moving/cleaning isn't a gigantic pain in the neck.

Michelle - How's it going out there? Are you the only one of us in the states that's not getting a cold spell? Wait, it appears you're in the 30's at the moment. Brrr. But at least you'll get up in the 50's today. How's the job hunt??

Hi Susie! Hope you're staying warm!
    ++++
    Nothing much to report. I did a BE workout in the basement after work and then went through the mail. After that TV. My bedtimes have been getting a bit later than they should, so I need to make an effort to heave myself out of the sofa at an earlier time so I can finish all my bedtime tasks at a reasonable time.

BF was trying to make a vet appt this weekend for doggy for his routine 6 mo. blood test (he takes an anti-inflammatory for his joints) and nail trim/gland expression, but the vet staff is short-handed on Saturday so it was a no go. When Coal gets his nails trimmed, they need "assistance" to get through it, i.e., at least one person to hold him down, LOL. I shouldn't laugh, poor guy, but the fact that he can still put up a fight when he's also been doped up beforehand...better them than us dealing with that.

Plenty to do this weekend and there should be time to do it as we have nothing else on the agenda.

That's it for me. Everyone in the cold and snow/ice stay warm and safe!
  • An excerpt from a typical Mellie post, Dec 2011 I think:
    "HAPPY SATURDAY/SUNDAY MORNING MY CHICKIE FRIENDS. HOPE YOU HAVE ALL BEEN WELL & HAPPY. ARE YOU FILLED WITH THE HOLIDAY SPIRIT YET??

WE HAD SOME BITTER WEATHER AND A FEW FLAKES BUT NOTHING LIKE THE WEST GOT!! DANG!! NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A SNOW STORM!!
    NOW I HAVE TO GO AND READ WHAT YOU'VE ALL BEEN UP TO. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND AND HOPE SOME OF YOU ARE NOT SNOWED IN!!!!!"

The smilies didn't copy over - had to manually throw a couple in there for you to get the effect.

P.S. Happy St. Nicholas Day. I recall a few years as a kid getting some treats in our shoes on St. Nicholas Day, which we'd find outside the front door. Okay, I've finally finally learned how to post an image in the body of a post, watch out Worldlies!

• So much to say and so little time to say it as I have to get ready for hopefully my final (and successful) job interview (2nd interview) for a job that I really want.

After the interview, I'm going to the funeral for our next door neighbor. He battled cancer and heart problems until he couldn't fight any longer. We've known these neighbors for over 40 years, I grew up with their kids. His wife has Alzheimers and although she still lives in the house, she needs round the clock care. Not sure what will happen to her.

Tomorrow morning, I'm providing tech support to one of my step-mom's friends. Hopefully that won't take more than an hour or so. Then having lunch with my friend who made it through cancer surgery and radiation and is now dealing with the painful lasting effects of the procedures.

I will probably be moving in with D sometime next week or next weekend. He's busy this weekend and while my step-mom said I could wait and move out the week between Christmas and New Years, D will be prepping for an out of town business trip, so that timeframe doesn't work for him. We'll see what happens. As long as Santa and I have a roof over our head and food in our bellies (and we do and we will), we'll be fine.

Santa is still not putting hardly any weight on his paw...the swelling has gone down a bit...but I may have to take him back to the vet this weekend or next week.

Just taking things one moment at a time right now...and looking forward to a hopefully wonderful 2nd interview in approximately 90 minutes. SO EXCITED!!

Much love to all,
  • EVERYTHING crossed for you CHELLE....even stuff we should not mention. lolololololol
  • Morning, it's icy outside and cold.,
    Put out most of my decorations for Christmas. Not as many as last year but enough for me. The rest is boxed up and ready to go to GoodWill.
    For some reason I'm not excited about going to work tomorrow.

-------------------
    Michelle
    I'm anxious to hear about your interview but I know that you will land this job.
  • Mel moment for today begins with a graphic specially selected for Laura

And then we move on to a Christmas Aussie Website that Mel found. For some reason the music isn't downloading or playing so I'll just include the funny lyrics to Jingle Bells in the Style of Down Under. Shad may have to translate for us

Aussie Jingle Bells

Dashing through the bush
    In a rusty Holden Ute
    Kicking up the dust
    Esky in the boot
    Kelpie by my side
    Singing Christmas songs
    Its summer time and I am in
    My singlet, shorts and thongs

Chorus
    Oh, Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells
    Jingle all the way
    Christmas in Australia
    On a scorching summer's day
    Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells
    Christmas time is beaut
    Oh what fun it is to ride
    In a rusty Holden Ute

Engine's getting hot
    Dodge the kangaroos
    Swaggy climbs aboard
    He is welcome too
    All the family is there
    Sitting by the pool
    Christmas day, the Aussie way
    By the barbecule!

Chorus

Come the afternoon
    Grandpa has a doze
    The kids and Uncle Bruce
    Are swimming in their clothes
    The time comes round to go
    We take a family snap
    Then pack the car and all shoot through
    Before the washing up

Chorus
  • Ok, now that you're all sung out and in the mood it's darn cold out here. Got to a low of minus 19 yesterday. Even this morning the snow is all sparkly and iridescent so you know it's cold out. The rubber stop on the door frozen and I thought DH was going to pull the door off it's hinges. I guess we have to invest the big bucks in a new door come spring time. Probably should have done that in the fall.

I went to physical therapy yesterday and they gave me some new exercises for my back but didn't do anything for my neck and did not give me the full hour either. They are busy and my next appointment is not until 12/20 so this is rather disappointing. The stuff they are giving me does work so that is the only reason I am not writing them off completely. I may just cancel out and do it on my own. I suspect being back on the computer as much as I am is not helping my neck pain.

I would like to get a real Christmas tree this year but it's so cold out there and it going to stay that way for at least a week that I'm not sure we really want to go out. DH went to feed the turkeys and refill the bird feeder this morning and was not excited about going out there. It's pretty crispy out. I'm not much in the mood to do cards this year although I did buy some earlier. I guess it's do or die this weekend on that.

I think a pot of chicken wild rice soup is in order. and I still have some laundry to do. With it being as cold as it is, I ration out the laundry loads so as to not overload the septic system. I know the tank is below the frost line but I'm not sure how quickly the water drains into the field as cold as it is. I am very happy with the fleece shirts I bought on sale 2 weeks ago. My new uniform is a fleece pullover and a pair of sweatpants.

Michelle - I hope your interview went well yesterday. Did you opt out of the temporary job you were going to start on Thursday? Hopefully moving to a new place won't require too much shifting of the personal stuff. Sorry to hear that Santa is still favoring the sore foot. What happened to him?

Ceejay - I see you got some slickness but not as bad as they predicted. That has to be a relief. Be careful anyway. I hope your drive to the plant is uneventful.

Laura - I noticed too that the smilies from prior posts do not carry over. Yay that you learned how to embed URLs and graphics into your posts. No stopping now! To your question about the furnace blower and loss of power - yes, you do need electricity to run the fan which blows the air through the ductwork to heat the house. So without electricity, it's a gather around the oven kind of day unless of course you have an electric oven. We could light the electronic ignition with a match but we have big chalet style windows on the south wall and while pretty, they let in a lot of cold air so the poor little oven would not be able to keep the room warm - even if we had it on broil. Last night I had the thermostat set at 68 which kept the bedroom warm (which we didn't want) but the front part of the house was at 61 degrees when I woke up. And I have draft blockers on all my doors and those new shades on the lower windows. So I'm not a fan of the sub zero temps. Did you get any snow or just cold weather moving in?

Annie - I sort of agree with you about moving the commune to warmer weather BUT you have to remember - without a freeze to kill them off, the bugs grow really BIG in the warmer, more humid climates. And from what Shad says - they get some really big ones. We might be better off having Michelle set up a place for us in San Diego. Warm temps, ocean front property, a base full of uniformed navy guys - what's not to like? When is Sissy due again? Have you finished your shopping for Lil Man?

Hi Susie Guess I'd better go make something of myself today. So glad I don't have to go out for anything. Stay warm and safe chicks and happy weekend.