Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Hi Annie
You were above me.
That's what I keep telling myself--no news is good news about Mel.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #92  

Morning all. Winter weather here - snow yesterday. (Sorry to report that Happy, but I hear that temps might get back in the 50's at the weekend.)

Ceejay - I'll have to check out the BE videos on youtube, and other workouts. Our snow stuck to the grass, roof, leaves, etc. but not the pavement. However, we also had rain earlier in the day, so there was some wetness on the sidewalk that froze as the temps dropped. Very slippery on the way home, so glad bf came to pick me up - I hadn't gone far and had already slipped a couple times. Doesn't help that it's so !@#$% dark. I tell myself I should bring a little flashlight with me...

Michelle - I'm so sorry to hear about the layoff. But I'm sure you'll find another job soon, positive!! I don't feel any particular feeling at this gym except it's just not the small and familiar atmosphere like the park district recplex. Good you have 4 locations of your gym in range of your stepmom's - good to have options. BTW, I hope her procedure goes well today.

Annie - Given the chance, I can be a major couch potato.

Happy - Bummer about the lousy samples from Sephora. So it sounds like it's the size that makes them bad for you?? My thought is they might be oddball products I don't need or want.

Shad - Sorry your sinuses are giving you problems. Good to hear the assigment is going well!! Fingers that Carol can get some news out of NJ.

+++
I was in a crummy mood yesterday morning when I got a text alert that I'd used up 100% of my data plan with 5 days left of the cycle to go - overage charge coming. I was already livid about that and it got even worse when bf phoned to tell me he also got the text and wanted to figure out why I always seem to be so close to the limit. Grrrr. I reacted the way he reacts to me when I try to help him find something he's misplaced. Wonder if he realized that?? Anyway, it's such a stupid thing to always worry about. I'm going to check out the plans to see how much an unlimited data plan would set us back. Whatever it is, it's probably worth it!

When I got home I lazed around for a bit, then got the VCR and DVD recorder units down in the basement. I hooked it up - not without messing up one of the connections - and the things are color-coded for Pete's sake! I'm such a dufus. But I ultimately got it hooked up properly and recorded my old Kari Anderson VHS step workout onto the dvd recorder's hard drive. Next step will be to copy the recording to a dvd. The receipt fell out of the vhs sleeve and I bought it in 1996! No, I didn't do the workout while it was recording. I was in sloth mode by then. Glad I got the stuff hooked up - I have at least one more vhs tape I might want to convert to dvd.

Movie night tonight - while at the book club on Saturday (which I skipped), they apparently decided on seeing "Last Vegas" ). I'll see what kind of reviews. If too horrible, I'll skip it.

Okay, better get back to it. Have a good day everyone.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #93  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

HAPPY...check out Verizon. I love it. I have unlimited calls, anytime calling, and data, 3 phones on our plan (Curtis, Sam and myself) for 177.00 a month. Sound like a lot but we too were having an overage every month and it wasn't much less than what we pay a month now. I saw the previews of Last Vegas and think we might go see it. That and Thor, and there was another one coming out that I cannot remember that we want to see also. WE also had the snow, same as you, however we did accumulate a tiny bit bt mostly melted.

CEEG...we had snow but is supposed to be back to 50s by the weekend the same as Laura. Yeah!

Later gaters
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #94  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I meant LAURA not HAPPY in the post above...oops, duh blondie here
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #95  

Annie - We're on ATT and have 4 phones - me, bf, my mom, his mom - and it's $160/mo, so it's reasonable. I very rarely incur overage charges, but I'm always having to watch my data usage. It would be worth $10-15/month extra to me to not have to pay strict attention to this...

I definitely want to see Thor!!!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #96  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -

Thank you for all your support and encouragement. I've been talking to placement agencies this morning about a few opportunities. And hopefully all that interest will continue.

Gotta go respond to some job postings.

Love you all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #97  
Creating a Healthier Me

My two cents: I LOVE ATT. I only have one phone on my plan, but I have unlimited calls to any other mobile phone (even different carrriers). The thing that sold me on them was their customer service. Back in August/September of last year when my ex dropped the bomb shell on me, I was texting A LOT with friends and family...and at the time, I didn't have unlimited texting (I do now). Anyway, I went WAY OVER my alloted texts and minutes, and after I called them and explained it was a family crisis, they verified that I had never used so many texts or call minutes...so not only did they waive the overage fees, they credited me roughly $200. I had a credit balance for roughly 2 months! It was awesome. I so appreciated their help.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #98  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning all,

Sorry I didn't get in last night. Had a few false starts and then kept getting interrupted. Had to go back to the dentist again yesterday. The impressions they are taking for fluoride trays for my teeth are not working out. I suspect my mouth is too small to get a good impression wide enough to make a proper tray. They have made 4 impressions so far and I told them if this one didn't work then to forget it. Not that they didn't try and they are super nice, I just think it's a losing battle and the cold goop on my teeth was very uncomfortable - too sensitive. I then went to physical therapy and had a new guy as the other two were off hunting. Deer season just opened which means life is put on hold up this way. I loved this new guy - he worked on my sore neck with enough pressure to work the knots but not an intensively painful deep tissue massage. I have one more session with him on Thursday. Afterwards I decided to pick up a few groceries to tide us over for the remainder of the week. I was going to go today but since I was already out and about yesterday, figured I'd take care of it. Glad I did as I am home today and tomorrow with total time to devote to my to do list which I'm barely making a dent in. Cleaned out both refrigerators, got the garbage and recycling out to the curb. Chatted with Mom last night as well as instant messaging Sis to firm up some plans. Watched one recorded TV show, cleaned the cat boxes and gave the cats some play time and it was time for this kid to go to sleep.

Michelle - I am very sorry to hear about your job loss. Especially since you had your hopes up that this would turn into a permanent gig. Just keep your spirits up and keep hunting. At least you are in a highly populated area which has more job opportunities than where you came from. for you. I'm glad your health numbers are improving. I was going to suggest perhaps if your step-mum is asking for gift ideas - maybe a session or two with a personal trainer who could show you a weight training program that would work with your delicate back would be beneficial. I say that because I am getting some helpful tips from the physical therapists and I know that weight training is really good on so many fronts - for muscles and bone density as well as overall health. One of the therapists is also recommending yoga too for keeping things stretched out. I didn't realize that tight leg muscles can contribute to bursitis flare ups. Yoga may also help your back too. Keep your chin up and I'm sure you will rebound quickly! I had to laugh at your comment about not bringing knitting needles on the plane - that surely must frustrate some coast to coast flying knitting fans. I wonder if you can bring a crochet hook? I am flying into Ohare by the way - that one had a direct flight - 90 minutes vs 4 and a half hours and a connection through Detroit or Minneapolis to get to Midway even though Midway is 6 miles from Mom's and Ohare is about 20 miles.

Laura - Sephora talks about all these "great" samples but many of them are for things you probably would not use and the samples are nothing more than a smear of something - not enough to really see the product like a small blotch of makeup to match color tone on your hand but not enough to do one application on your face or the equivalent of a postage sized stamp of a gauze square with an astringent/perfume sample/facial toner. I am not enticed by them any more. At least Aveeda's samples you can get 1 full application. I smiled slightly when you talked about your conversation with BF over the phone plan. I can totally relate to how that went down I hope you can find something reasonably priced. Phone plans are the new cable tv stone around the neck when it comes to pricing! So how well do the VHS tapes translate to CD? I know the old family movies are grainy but that's because of the quality of the recording medium. It's nice to be able to preserve some old favorites - I just replaced a few favorites with their CD counterparts. Was able to find some reasonably priced on half dot com.

Ceejay - I agree with the rules and regulations about flying. Fortunately I can get most of what I need at Target across the road from Mom's place so that minimizes what I have to take with me. I would not want to live a travelling life like Shad does - much more of a hassle when you have to travel for business and need certain things. I was happy to find that I can take my old time iPod - music only - no wireless to interfere with anything. I see that you are getting some chilly weather down your way. It's too early to get some flurries in the air. Hope you won't have an unseasonally cold winter. Have the trees started turning colors yet?

Annie - I had some roasted butternut squash at a restaurant and really wanted to make it at home. They had squash on sale at the store but they were all in a bin mixed up - several varieties and I didn't know what was butternut. I wound up bringing home a small acorn squash but I looked it up and now know what I should be looking for. How do you make yours? You're right about the Hickory Farm samples - one could make a luncheon just browsing the counters Ouch on getting another boo boo on your foot. Are the new sneakers hitting a sore spot?

Shad - it doesn't take very long to get desensitized to the cold weather. Sorry to hear you are dragging along. Don't worry about posting - just let us know you are still kicking around. Thanks for the update with Carla. I am disappointed in the lack of communication too so hopefully A will talk with Carla.

Ok - the day's a wasting away - better put on my busy shoes and get moving here.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #99  

Okay, this is my THIRD attempt to post, so it'll just be the bare bones, no personals.

It turns out blackmail IS an effective tool - I got the following email from Jen today:

"Mom is going to stay where she is...they are doing it as a favor if not they would have to send her 2-3 hrs away from me. They are starting her on morphine....alittle ata time. Please do not call the office....I;m keeping things private now as they worsen...mom wants it that way...anything you would like to send her, you can send to me---we do not trust the the place she is at...not all the workers are TRUSTWORTHY there...sorry to say, but a lot of people have access to her room & she sleeps most of the day and I don’t trust that they give them ALL their mail. but what can you do..beggers can’t be choosers...lol Thank you for all the wonderful notes everyones been sending..i read them to her....sorry it takes me sometime to write back..it’s hard to read & write these words..it’s like a dream while im doing it doesent seem real to me....don’t know what im going to do with out her...??? I had to make “her arrangements” this week...so this has been especially hard..i met with the priest& funeral home..soo sorry for the delay everything is pretty much the same--will update you when something changes---tried to get most done now while im numb & still able to think...then rushed & hysterical..
Please pass this on to whom ever you think should know....my address is --xxxxxxx......that’s it for now..love to you all,,thanks for your prayer’s nice to kinow someone cares so much....it’s not like my family is here helping me thru this..knowing you guys care--makes me feel not so alone..thank you...luv to you--jennifer"

I x'ed out Jen's address - if anyone doesn't have it just PM me and I'll send it on. It really sounds like Mel is failing fast, definitely not good news. I miss her so much!

If I hear more I'll post right away. But I don't want to pester Jen too much, and it seems clear that Mel doesn't want anyone calling A at the office so I won't. I'll just keep sending cards and letters to Mel via Jen, some of them with the usual $50 bill taped inside. (Money in a card has always worked for me so far, and by now I have a feeling they must really need a little extra cash...)

And now I'll try again to post. Fingers crossed...
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #100  
Choose your hard

Thank you very much Carla - that's all I wanted - just a morsel of information. I can understand how difficult it must be for Jen if she's had to make arrangements recently. Just so sad. I will get a letter to her in the mail tomorrow. PS - I vote for the cash too - would not send Jen a check - just send it to her apartment and don't make it obvious.

Very sad that people at the rehab would be stealing mail looking for money - may they burn extra hot for that.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #101  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

What a sorry state of affairs that someone would steal from a dying person. Yuk, Yuk, Yuk

Thanks Carol. Appreciate your efforts.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #102  
Creating a Healthier Me

Good evening Ladies -

Carla - Thank you so much for passing along the information. So very sad.

I'd like your opinion on something....given Mel's condition...do you think it's worth sending the captioned photos? I can get it in the mail tomorrow, and she'd have it by Saturday at the latest, but it sounds like she sleeps a lot of the time. What do y'all think?

Much love to all,
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #103  
Choose your hard

Michelle - I was thinking about that too although I thought you might have gotten it in the mail already. I know you put a tremendous amount of work into the captioning but my own opinion is that it probably at this point would not be worth mailing it. Again - simply my opinion. If she was sleeping a lot before, she will sleep even more with the pain medication. I'm glad in her waking moments that she knew how much she is loved by us.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #104  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - that's what I was thinking too. And even though I got it finished Sunday, there was no mail yesterday due to Veteran's day...and today...well, today, I tried to focus on my job search...plus, I needed to be home as my stepmother had outpatient surgery and needed someone home with her.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #105  
Choose your hard

Hope your step-mom makes a quick recovery and good luck on the job search! You'll find something quickly I'm sure, even if it's the dreaded contracting.