Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #61  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Curtis' fishies

beautiful catch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C's fish.jpg (31.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Cs fish 2.jpg (35.0 KB, 4 views)
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #62  

Morning all. TGIF!!!

Annie - My condolences to your friend and her family for loss of her father. Re the train ticket - I just know how I'd feel if I lost my ticket - it's a monthly and we're only a week in. Do unto others...

Michelle - Glad to hear the meds are controlling your diabetes. I guess the diabetic eating guidelines wouldn't be too bad once you became accustomed to them, but it still takes some real thought and planning on top of strength of willpower!! But what's the alternative - not good. Bf has a friend that had to have a kidney transplant a few years ago because of his diabetes, but he was someone who didn't take good care of himself at all. Hope the thyroid levels are nothing serious. How was your writing workshop last night??

Happy - Yum - crabcakes! Yum - peanut butter cookies! I'm glad the PT seemed to help your neck and you got better sleep. How do you feel today?? Yeh, it's getting cold here in Chicago. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 50's but today - brrrr! Got pretty cold last night and today the leaves are a-fallin'. But not our oak in the backyard. It will not lose its leaves until the last week of leaf pickup service has passed, LOL. Sorry to hear about the bad timing of your dh's cataract surgery. Get on the cancellation list and maybe it could be done sooner?? Otherwise, I hope the weather cooperates.

Ceejay - Hope you're off enjoying your weekend and you worked out the living arrangements with your friend for her temporary stay.

Hi Shad! Enjoy the time with your family this weekend at your niece's shower!

Hi Susie!! Best wishes to your hubby and his med procedure!!
===
Nothing much to report. I had bf pick me up at the train last night and drop me off this morning. Still rather sore, so no exercise last night. I believe my trial run at the gym ends today. We'll see if bf wants to go work out tonight. I'd be up for doing some non-leg work.

Tomorrow will be in the 50's, so bf and I will get the garage in shape, or at least the little it needs to to get the car in there. It's cold now, so there's been a lot of frost on the car and it's a PITA to scrape it. Now that we've made a lot of decisions about organizing the space, it'll be easier to deal with.

No other plans, but a lot around the house that needs doing.

The admin is leaving the office early today. Another person is taking Monday off. We don't get Veterans Day off - boo. I might schedule a day off for next Friday.

Okay, enough rambling. Have a great day everyone!!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #63  

Great catch! Enjoy the meals!!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #64  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning all,

Oh man - soapbox moment for the morning. Ahem... On my way to here today I see on Yahoo's homepage that the 24 year old daughter of hockey player Wayne Gretzky has landed the cover of a magazine. How did she do this? By constantly posting bikini pictures of herself on Instagram and Twitter. The internet noticed her and now she is on her way to fabulous things. Why do I care? Actually I don't - it's just one more SMH (shaking my head) moment as to the dumbing down of America. Wasn't bad enough girls all over are posting selfies in various states of undress all over the internet. Now this goofball is encouraging the world - success, the path to riches and the fame that most young people crave can be had if you follow her example. I really believe we are headed to a new Sodom and Gomorra (sp?). The other day they were featuring "wedding bikini's" for those who have beach weddings and don't want to wear a heavy wedding dress. The more I see the outside world, the more I want to turn it off. Ok, end of my speech. I will step down now.

I'm feeling better today so I'm happy to say that the shot and therapy is working. I still have an extreme pressure in my back but have gone from excruciating to strong discomfort. Still a lot of knots and kinks but I have hope if I keep up with my stretches and ice I will be ok by next week.

Made a batch of dog treats yesterday. One down, 2 to go. Would have made more but I noticed just as I was about to pour that the oatmeal I had (they give us some supplies) was the old fashioned kind - not the quick cooking one. Good thing I saw that before I attempted another batch at 10pm. I have to go to the dentist in a little bit, pick up a prescription and stop at the thrift shop and get some treat bags. I will grab a box of oatmeal I was holding on the side for these treats.

Laura - I admit I was disappointed to see your weather turn cold - with temps in the 50's I was hoping to see a bit of a warm up as well as maybe some last bits of tree color but it doesn't appear to be that way. Good for you for getting the garage organized. You'll really appreciate it on those cold mornings. There was something on FB the other day about a homemade spray that de-ices fast but I didn't pay a lot of attention. It had vinegar in it and I wondered about what it might do to the car finish. Really nice of you to call and return that fellow's ticket. Huge chunk of change there had he lost it at the beginning of the month. You are a good person!

Annie - what great looking fish! You are going to be eating good in the neighborhood fo sure! 120 fish - he must have been in fisherman's heaven. Guess he found a good spot where they were biting. Glad he had a good time. As for the cataract surgery - we are limited to a busy schedule which is common here. Could drive farther out - 3 hours to Minneapolis or 2 hours to Eau Claire but the whole process is several trips and in the end not worth it even if we get in sooner. I will ask my cousin for help driving if the weather should be really bad. It is highway driving but we don't have a lot of traffic which is a blessing. Are you seeing the kids this weekend?

Michelle - DH belongs to a big health network and can view things online and email questions. He really likes it a lot so glad you are getting a benefit too. Your A1C is pretty good - seems like with some effort you can bring that below 5.6 - very encouraging. Bummer on the thyroid - they never seem to get that adjusted to the degree you feel more peppy. But you can substitute endorphins for that

Hello to the rest of the chicks. I have to pop in the shower so I'll catch up with the rest of you later.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #65  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies -

Not much time to post this morning. Had a great writing workshop last night. The workshop is really about tapping into our innate creativity, discovering what blocks us and working through those blocks. Always a good time on the call. The author who leads the workshop is SARK. I've loved her books since I was in my early 20s. She's amazing, positive, and uplifting.

This morning, I watched a 10 minute video shared on FB. It was so lovely and moving...the beauty of nature, the wisdom of youth (out of the mouths of babes), and the perspective of age.
http://www.upworthy.com/clear-your-n...re-week?c=ufb1

Tonight and tomorrow is cleaning and laundry. Also tomorrow is helping my step-mom's friend with their computer. Sunday, I'll be getting together with D for lunch and going to a library book sale with a friend. And I'll be making time to write this weekend in between everything else.

==================

Annie - Wow! 120 fish! That's incredible! He brought home a great catch...enjoy your meals. Still sending prayers to your friend and her family.

Laura - Good idea to get the garage in shape so you can get the car in there. We don't get Veteran's Day off either, which is fine by me as I don't get paid for holidays since I'm a contractor.

Happy - I'm right there with you on the soapbox railing against the women who use their sex appeal to overshadow their brains/talent. What is that telling the young girls? Especially Miley Cyrus' twerking?! I mean really? Her fan base is young...as evidenced by the teddy bears she danced with and dressed up as. I'm very happy that your therapy and shot are helping. I should make Santa a batch of those dog treats. I've never heard that the desired A1C is 5.6. Is that for "normal" (aka, non-diabetic) people? I've always been told that anything 6.0 or lower is the goal for me.

to Shad, Ceejay and Susie

Love and hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #66  
Choose your hard

Michelle - I heard if you can get and sustain your A1C to 5.6 or below you are no longer considered pre-diabetic I am at 5.7 and really working harder on it now.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #67  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - That's great news!! Are you on any medication for diabetes or pre-diabetes?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Hi girls,
My company has left. She was a really good patient and enjoyed her company. But I'm glad to have my space to myself. I may have made her mad cause I woke her up and old her that if she was in the hospital she could sleep all da. She'd slept 12 hours.
I couldn't get the t.v. monitor to work and tried to take it back but since I didn't have the receipt it was no go. Sigh. A big light bulb moment this afternoon as was walking by the t.v. in the bedroom. I checked and it's compatible to the mother board. I'm using a 25 inch screen. I feel like I need to be farther back from the screen.

Annie
Nice catch of fish! I would have loved to have been there.

Happy
That's a good A1C number. I've been saying the same thing about the Sodom and Gomorah (sp) aspect of our country.

Michelle
Glad that your meds are helping with your diabetes. You have been working hard too.

Laura
Yesterday was cold and windy but today it was really nice--50s range. Got out and mulched the leaves. Usually whenever I'm outside the neighbors come out and visit which hinders me a bit. But I enjoy the visit. Everyone wanted to know if I had bought a new vehicle.

Shad
Are you buried in your work?
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #69  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

Busy day ahead of me. I am committed to getting some things done before I sit on the computer so will be back later. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #70  
Creating a Healthier Me

Good morning ladies -

I'm making progress on captioning the images. So far, I've got Annie's, Carol's, Donna's, Java Turtle's, and Ceejay's done. Next up...Shad's, then Laura's, then mine, and the ones Mel posted herself.

Other stuff on the list today is laundry, which is in the dryer...vacuum and mop the kitchen floor, and clean the bathroom and my bedroom.

I'll try and check in later.

Hope you all have a great Saturday!

love and hugs,
Old 11-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #71  

Everyone is always busy on Saturday's. I'm doing laundry as well.

Did get to exercise some more last night. Found another good video on you tube.

Have a good day. I'll be back to read.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #72  
Choose your hard

Shad - you doing ok? Haven't heard from you - hope you are not buried under some desk.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #73  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Everyone.

Update on John. He did not go back into rhythm this time BUT, they did an internal echo cardio gram where they looked at all areas of his heart and they said it is a beautiful heart. NO blockages, no narrowing of the arteries and there were no blood clots. Knowing this is a blessing.

So for now he stays on the blood thinner and we will go back and discuss other options to try or not to try with the cardiologist.

I do have a 1 lb loss to report for myself at Thursday's TOPS weigh-in.

We bought a new scale at home so we both can weigh-in on Saturday together and some hand weights to have there in case we don't make it out to the Y--DH says he is committed to getting back to working out and relieving stress. They talked to him about that a great deal at the hospital. They said it can help greatly with the afib and it is important that his heart stay strong since afib can weaken it. They told him he is blessed to have a beautiful heart with no damage and that in the past he has done good things for his heart and he needs to be sure he continues doing so.

Have a great day everyone!
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #74  

Susie
That is great news for your dh. And a one pound loss is good also.

--------------
Nothing new to report.
Has any one heard from Jen?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #75  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

Busy bee reporting in now. Everything is taking 3 times as long as I want it to. That means some things on the to do list just won't get done and I'm ok with that.

Friday was really sort of an annoying day all around. It was wet and rainy/snowy - miserable and cold. I have a theory that wet weather clogs up people's minds and makes them do dumb things like pull out in front of you when you're doing 50 miles per hour on a wet road and there's no one behind you but they just can't wait. I stopped in the thrift shop to get more dog treat supplies and afterwards stopped in a local store they just renovated just to check things out. Customers in there lost their manners too. I was at the dentist earlier and they took impressions to make me mouth trays for a fluoride treatment. One bad thing about well water vs city water is it doesn't contain fluoride. My teeth are quite sensitive and just a toothpaste alone is not helping enough so they will give me these trays. They took the first impression and showed it to the dentist. It wasn't good enough so take another. The doc approved the second one. Got home later on and DH said the dentist called. Apparently they took the WRONG impressions and could I come back? Really? I'm not sure how that happened when they knew what they were taking impressions for and had them checked twice by both the dental assistant and the dentist. Now I have to waste another trip out there tomorrow. And my schedule this week is quite tight so I really can't afford any interuptions. In fact I am questioning the wisdom of working at the shop on Thursday afternoon but I'm hoping I can knock off a task or two while I'm sitting at the shop doing nothing. It's gotten VERY slow there.

And then there was the thing about taking a flight. I believe the last time I flew was in January 2003 - a long time ago. Since then things have changed quite a bit. I spent a fair amount of time researching all the particulars - size of checked bag, can I use my Kindle or iPod (not connected to Wi-Fi) on the flight? I am also flying out of a small airport with a checked back and the service counters are only open for a very limited time frame. I guess I need to check my bag outside with the sky caps. I think I'm going to purchase a few shirts on sale at Kohls and have them shipped to my Mom's to limit what goes in the luggage. So much easier travelling in the summer with lighter clothing. I hope I got everything figured out.

I am bummed that I lost track of 2 things going on yesterday. One was an auction for our local radio station. They had a 10 punch pool pass at the good hotel for half price. They offered 2 of them, one sold, one didn't so I probably could have gotten it. I remembered the auction 15 minutes after it closed. The other event and probably good that I missed this one - was at the grocery store. They were doing a promo to get ready for the holidays with samples, recipes, gift card drawings and more. I am really miffed I missed the pool pass - and this was a special auction beyond their normal Wednesday one so another lost opportunity. Duh.

Last night I watched a movie called Blackfish. It's about Orca whales held in captivity for human entertainment at places like Sea World. It's heartbreaking. It was being shown on cable on the CNN channel but is also available to rent. I highly recommend it and I hope that it would put to an end the performance of animals that are held in inhumane conditions out of their normal habitats - much like circus elephants.

Ceejay - I have not heard anything from Jen and I emailed her twice. I'm glad you are finding stuff on You Tube. It's a good source for a lot of things - exercise, cooking tips. Actually a lot of good how to things on there. I was thinking perhaps your friend slept overly long as she was sleeping off the anesthesia.

Susie - that's great news about your husband - glad it all worked out and that he has renewed commitment to getting healthy. It's such a relief to know that the heart is in good shape despite some minor bumps with the afib. Congrats on your weight loss this week. Keep up the good work!

Michelle - thanks for all the work on the pictures. I'm sure that's quite labor intensive. Hope you got all your housework done.

Laura - are you feeling a little better with the muscle soreness? Did you get the garage cleaned out? Hang on to that 50's weather until I get there ... please

Annie - hope it was a nice service for your friend's dad.

Shad - hope you are getting some relaxation and enjoying time with the family.

Computer time is over. Have a good Sunday all.