Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #61

Good morning gals. Probably my last post until we get back. We will be super busy until we leave.

Jack just left for work, but he is a bit miffed with me. Our excursion to Jamaica is on Wednesday the 16th. Jamaica is supposed to get 60% rain several days before, the day of and the day after. We had to put down a $70 deposit and pay the rest when we get to the resort, which is another $120. They provide a one round trip in a commercial bus to the resort and then 5 hours later back to the pier. I asked him if it was raining did he still want to go as we would be stuck there for 5 hours sitting in the hotel with nothing to do if it was raining (it is about 45 minutes from the ship.) He got really mad and said to forget we would do what I wanted and not go. I got no where trying to talk to him about the expense so I don't give a darn if it is pouring rain we are going and he can live with my wrath for spending another $120 to sit in a hotel lobby for 5 hours. My hope is that since it is a week away the weather report will change and it will be a moot point. Basically I wanted to get his opinion but as usual he missed the whole point.

I had some leftover yarn from a pair of socks I made for Jackson and am using it to make another cowl for myself. The yarn is called circus and pretty much has every color you can think of. Knitting it as a cowl changes the way the color comes out and it looks pretty cool.

I got my cane yesterday and it will do the trick. The handle is great and puts no pressure on your palm to cause blisters. We are experiencing some chilly weather at night, into the 40's and my knees have been killing me so I am glad I bought the thing.

Jean: Sorry you had such a mess with your "jobs." People tend to not think of other people that work with the same thing when they change stuff. Sounds like you had a chilly wet night too. I think you sent me the recipe for the pecan pie bars. Sorry they didn't do totally right. Happens to me sometimes. I have yet to try a recipe on FB that turns out right. I put them on my page as a share so I have them, but I have tried three different things and all three were awful even though they sounded good.

Maggie: Have fun on your trip and hope you MH is all you wanted it to be.

I will post again in a couple weeks probably. Have a great one. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's sunny and very windy here today. I could do without the wind! I'm doing clutter control and laundry. Being gone most of yesterday I didn't do anything around the house. I need to run a couple errands this afternoon but think maybe I'll wait until tomorrow and see if the wind goes down.

Maggie -- I hope your new wheels arrive before you leave! Have a good trip and check in while you are gone! When you said you went through your bean bag, I pictured a bean bag "chair" like the kids had when they were little.

"Gma" -- Think positive about the weather when it's time for Jamaica! What activities are planned for that stop? I'm glad the cane will work ok for you. I usually don't try a new recipe unless I've eaten it or gotten it from someone I know. I enjoy looking at cooking magazines but my creations never look like their pictures! Will your phone work on the ship, or are there computers for your use? I hope you have a wonderful time!

Guess Susan and I will be "home alone" for awhile. I need to get Bob's socks from the dryer and get another load going. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 10-08-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another bright sunny morning in my corner of the world; a cool 52 degrees heading up to 80 this afternoon. I have lunch bunch at noon and bell practice later this afternoon. Bob is farming again today. His office computer had a major virus so he's waiting for a new one which should have been there yesterday and wasn't.

Susan -- I hope you have a special day today and many, many more happy days ahead!

I need to figure out what I'm wearing to lunch and do some church birthday cards. I forgot we won't get mail on Monday so need to double check my list. Hope you all enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #4  

Good evening, ladies! Rain, rain and more rain...lots of flooding around here and its supposed to rain for days. High tide at midnight is going to be about 5 feet above normal.

We had a wonderful time at retreat and the ladies were very happy with their quilts. They want us back in April.

I had a 24 hour breathing test with visit that started at 8 am yesterday and finished at 10 pm today. Lots of spirometry test, even in the night, every 3 hours. This was to see how effective my medication is over 24 hours.

With all the rain, I opted to celebrate my birthday with my friends on Saturday. Just didn't feel like going out.

Faye, I hope your cruise is wonderful. Can't you take umbrellas and raincoats and still enjoy the day. We have tons of tourists around here that do that.

Jean, you are always busy!

Maggie, where are you going in NC? I'm an hour from NC.

Have a wonderful evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #5  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been another nice sunny fall day but way too windy again. My front yard tree is dropping leaves fast. The weatherman said it will be even windier tomorrow. I went to the dentist this morning; $125 and 45 minutes later I'm "good" for another 6 months. This afternoon was crafty club and there were only 4 of us so it was nice to visit and catch up with each other. Tomorrow I am home all day (unless I decide to brave the grocery store) and need to do some much needed cleaning.

Susan -- I hope you get a good report on your breathing test results. Did you make quilts for other ladies at the retreat?

"Gma" and Maggie -- I thought maybe you would check in here on your "intelligent" phones while you are gone. Hope all is going well.

Bob is farming again today so guess his supper will be whatever he decides looks good in the fridge. Not much in there because I don't cook when he's farming. I hate eating in shifts! Hope you all enjoy a nice evening. I wonder what is on tv tonight. Something worth watching, I hope!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! 63 degrees and another rainy day. Tidal floodings gets worse and worse and its supposed to be raining for 3 more days.

Despite the rain, I'm going to the Tuesday Morning, Trader Joe's, Kroger and JoAnn's today. I didn't go grocery shopping last week and the fridge is getting a bit bare. My friend is taking me to dinner tonight so that will be a pleasant evening.

Jean, on Thursday nights I watch Grey's Anatomy and tape Project Runway since they are on at the same time. I was hoping for some good new shows this fall but haven't found any yet. Some days I don't even turn the tv on.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been a WINDY day in my corner of the world. It is supposed to die down tonight and I sure hope so. Colder weather is on the way. I went to the grocery store this morning; it feels like a chili kind of day but will make it tomorrow when Bob might be home earlier to eat. I had to rip out a couple rows on the afghan because I missed a stitch and just finished redoing that.

Susan -- I'm sure the farmers don't want the rain now that harvest has begun, but it would be nice if we could have had some of your rain. At 63 degrees I'll bet it feels kind of "clammy." What kind of a store is Tuesday Morning? Enjoy your dinner with your friend tonight! I never got started on Grey's Anatomy; I'll have to see if we get Project Runway. Is that a new show?

I have towels in the dryer to fold and another load ready to go. It seems like the laundry multiplies when I'm not looking. I noticed a "farm" pile out in the garage today. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a cool 48 degrees as I type. There is a slight breeze blowing. I need to make a critter/bird/cat food run this morning. We buy them at what I'd call a "farm" store; I don't go there very often but Bob left a couple hours ago for the farm. We have a wedding later this afternoon and I remembered to remind him to come home "early" so we don't walk in at the last minute. The wedding is in a little town 5 miles from us but the reception is here in our town. I spent 18 years with mother of the bride and subbed for her when the bride was born so kind of feel obligated to go. It will be nice to see others from school. I do need to vacuum today!

I am dressed and ready to head out. Hope you all enjoy your day!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #9  

Maggie -- A belated best wishes for your birthday! I fully intended to get back here after we got home last night and went to bed instead. I hope you enjoyed your day!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies! 69 degrees and our 7th straight day of rain.

Glory and I have a friend who comes to visit us from England once a year. She is here now and brought her daughter. She is a judge and her daughter is a barrister. We all went to tea yesterday and they just loved it. They come for the shopping since we have so many outlets in the area. She said she enjoyed our quilting bee last time she was here so tomorrow we are giving a tea for her and her daughter and the bee. More fun!

Nothing happening today. I put stew in the crockpot this morning so that will be dinner.

Have a wonderful Sunday!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Happy Camper

GOOD ROCKTOBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

We, the happy campers, got home late last night and are glad to be back. We came home through the back roads and The trees and bushes are changing color and we had a lovely time being lookie lous. The motor home is even nicer than we thought it would be and we are very pleased with it. It will take us where we choose to go. The story of it is that an elder gentleman bought it and didn’t use it much at all and he was the only previous owner and kept meticulous records of the coach. He only sold it to Camping World because his son “made him” for was getting too old to drive. We were treated very well while there and made good friends of the current managers for they share our same interests. The problem I was having with my back had vanished and hasn’t re-appeared. We will be able to pick up our pets later this afternoon.

Have a great afternoon my Magnolia friends.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a windy, rainy, cold day in my neighborhood today. It took longer to post the money at church today since it included the automatic giving from the bank. The bank the church uses was closed today while the others were all open. I will do the gift shop deposit when I finish here. I'm making chili this afternoon although I don't know if Bob will be home to eat on time. Sometimes when we get rain at the house, the farm does not, and it's not that far away.

Susan -- Do you feel like you have webbed feet? That is a lot of rainy days! Have fun at the tea with your English friend and her daughter.

Maggie -- Welcome home! That was a fast trip to SC and back. I'm glad you are pleased with the motor home. I'm sure your furry children are glad to be home again.

I need to vacuum again. I brought the outside cat food in when it started to rain. Like a dummy I put it on the kitchen table and Sonny tried to pull the bowl over to him and ended up dumping it on the floor. He was a happy camper since he evidently remembers eating it when he was outside. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD ROCKTOBER AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is 70°s here in the ♥-Land and it feels chilly for we are having thunder-storms and it is raining as I type now at 5:15 PM.

Today I got to go to the dentist to get my pearly whites checked and cleaned and they sure feel good. I got a neat holder for those little brushes that go between teeth and a few brushes for it. I will use it at home after brushing now for I have some of the little ones that have a cap that I carry with me. I like those little brushes better than flossing but do floss on occasion. I know I am nuts for I love going to the dentist. They also gave me a toothbrush, tooth paste and a container of floss.

I have WW this evening in a little while but don’t feel like staying for the meeting so I will weigh in and then leave. We will be going out to dinner at Applebees®.

I found the neatest small washers and dryers to use in the MH. They aren’t the traditional kind and small and will work for us and can be stored in one of the outside compartments (so we won’t have to give up one of the closets) then brought in when I want to use them. I am so glad that someone is making these small things for those of us that like to camp. For instance towels take up so much room in a closet so we can take along fewer ones and have a way to wash them. They are making a lot of neat things in smaller sizes now for those of us that like to travel and camp. I am having fun finding the necessary items for our MH. I may e-mail you pictures of them since I can’t post them here.

My new pants and blouses arrived while we were gone and now they have been washed and I have on a new blouse that is smaller along with a smaller sized pair of pants. It feels great to have shrunk into these new clothes. These button down collar blouses with a pocket and long sleeves are my favorite thing to wear. It is my uniform. I will be so glad when these flies around here dye off for they are pests and they are smart enough to stay away from the sticky strip I hung from my ceiling.

We have decided to not board Cecil next time we take off. He can stay in the yard and the neighbor will feed him. He hates staying at the vets so much ~ I can tell. They play with the dogs and have a yard for them to romp in but the cats just have a little area and some cats fight so they keep them separated. The dogs can go with us at times. I am just wondering where they will choose to ride.

JEAN Chili sounds good on a day like this. Yep the dogs are glad we are back and the cat has come around and isn't complaining as much as he was. The dogs got to go to the groomer so are clean and smelling good. We are glad to be back from NC but did have a good time there. They have had more rain than us and the trees are changing color and the colors are vibrant.

SUSAN Your stew sounds good also. I love meals cooked in the crock-pot. I know you are having fun with your friend and her daughter that came from England and they are enjoying their visit making good memories.

Have a great evening my Magnolia friends.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-14-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! I've been to get a haircut and need to run a couple errands later. It's a crappy weather day here; 43 degrees, windy, and damp from yesterdays rain. No rain so far today but more is predicted. Bob went to the office since it's too wet to be in the fields. They had a break down on "something" so have to wait for parts to be shipped.

Maggie -- I think your thunderstorms arrived here last night. We had loud rumbles and lots of lightning in the evening. Enjoy your smaller clothes! Aren't you afraid Cecil might disappear if you leave him in the yard? Wish I could kittysit him!

I need to make my errand list, dust, and clear off the kitchen counter. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 10-15-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Sad Day Here

GOOD ROCKTOBER MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

I just got word that my daughter has passed away so we will be making a trip out to CA and need to get ready and leave for there.

Have a great afternoon my Magnolia friends.

Last edited by Maggie; 10-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.