Old 10-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #121  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Yikes will repost the chicken dinner.

Roasted Chicken Dinner

• 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb) chicken, quartered (see cooks' note, below) and wing tips discarded
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 lb boiling potatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
  • 2 zucchini (1 lb total), quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 2 1/2- to 3-inch lengths
  • 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Special equipment: a large roasting pan (17 by 12 inches)
  • Garnish: lemon wedges

Directions
  1. Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 500°F.
  2. Pat chicken dry, then toss with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Arrange chicken, skin sides up, without pieces touching, in roasting pan, leaving a 2-inch border around edges of pan.
  3. Toss potatoes, zucchini, and onion with remaining tablespoon oil, remaining teaspoon salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper in same bowl, then spread in 1 layer around chicken, arranging zucchini skin sides up. Stir together broth and lemon juice and pour into pan around chicken and vegetables.
  4. Roast, uncovered, until chicken is pale golden and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
  5. Remove pan from oven and preheat broiler. Broil chicken and vegetables 3 inches from heat until chicken is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Serve chicken and vegetables with pan juices
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #122  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies!

I had a good weekend, despite Santa and I both getting ill on Saturday. Friday night, I went over to a friend's place to watch movies. Once I got home, I started compiling the photos from the DropBox onto the USB drive. Some of the photos had a large file size and so when the digital frame was accessing them, the screen went dark for several seconds. So I opened the largest files in Photoshop and compressed them a bit, but they still looked great on the frame and loaded much faster. Saturday morning, I dropped Santa off at daycare, mailed the frame to Mel (I really hope Jen gets it and it doesn't get "opened" by any nosey neighbors or office personnel). Then D picked me up and we went to the Library book sale where I picked up a few books on reversing Diabetes for 50 cents a piece. Then it was off to the Renaissance Faire. At the Faire, we got to see the knights on horseback, which was fun (good looking guys on beautiful horses!). And we walked around a bit. We were at the fair for about 90 minutes when the daycare called me. Santa had gotten sick 3 times. They isolated him from the other dogs to ensure they wouldn't catch anything. They said I didn't need to pick him up early, but they were just calling me to let me know. After the call, I was too worried to enjoy myself, so we left the Faire and picked up Santa. Shortly after we got home, I had a blood sugar crash or something. I was feeling very weak and lightheaded. I ate some string cheese, some fruit, and when that didn't help, I made myself a chicken sandwich. After a few hours of resting, I felt better. Yesterday, I got up and helped my stepmom clean in preparation for guests arriving later that day. Then I went to Costco and ran a bunch of other errands while she and my stepbrother watched Santa. Santa ate a little bit yesterday and didn't get sick. And he seems to be doing better today.

Susie - To give you a little background about me. I am 51. I've been married twice and divorced twice. I got married the first time at age 20, and it lasted only 4 years. When I was 28, I met a great guy and he and I were together for 23 years and married for 17 of those. We had a lot in common, had a fun life together, and we were really happy. We moved to Wisconsin 12 years ago. Over the last few years, due to health and financial issues, we drifted apart, and he told me a year ago that he'd fallen back in love with his ex-girlfriend and he wanted a divorce. It's been a difficult year (especially last autumn and winter). The divorce was final in February, and in May I moved back home to the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm so glad I did. It's been great to be back with family and so many wonderful friends from grade school, high school and college. In the divorce, he got to keep two of our dogs, and I got to keep Santa. He's such a wonderful dog...such a love. He's an 8 year young white Miniature Schnauzer. Since I've moved back to the Bay Area, I started dating "D", a guy that I used to date in my mid-20s. Hmmmm, what else about me? I'm a web developer by profession, and a writer by hobby (hoping one day to make writing my profession). Now that I've made it through the emotional turmoil of the past year and am much happier, I'm in a much better place to deal with a couple physical issues (diabetes and chronic back pain)...both of which I hope to have kicked to the curb by Spring, so I can hike in the beautiful mountains and along the oceans of California.

I've got to sign off for now...I have to call my doc because while she prescribed for me a blood sugar testing kit, she didn't prescribe any test strips or lancets.

Much love to all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #123  
Annie - Indiana

I found where Mellie is....Every time they try to transfer me to her room I ges cut off. Now it says all circuits are busy now. I will try again later and let you know the results.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #124  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi Carla - thanks so much for making the call. yes, please try again later today or tomorrow. And I do remember you, and also enjoyed seeing your photos!

Susie - If you're interested in seeing what we all look like, if you PM me your email address, I can forward the link to our DropBox full of photos.

Hugs to all,
Old 10-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #125  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi all,

Bah - had a long post, had 2 windows opened, clicked twice too fast and lost my post.

I did find a number for the building Mel is at - didn't call yesterday because it was Sunday. Guess they are on holiday today as well. Thanks for trying Carla and great to hear from you again

I'm thrilled you were able to find Mel Annie. Will be on pins and needles waiting to hear. I will be SO MAD if she's at the hospital we thought she was at and the people I talked to said they didn't have her as a patient. How did you find her Annie???? God Bless you for that. And thanks for the recipes. I'm just wondering if cooking that chicken at 500 degrees for 30 minutes won't burn it and the veggies. Have to try and see I guess...

I tossed a big bucket of cherry tomatoes out as well as quite a few big tomatoes. They were just going overripe faster than I could eat them. I tried a few recipes but wasn't very thrilled with any of them. Also not sure if it was the variety of tomatoes or the weather we had but most of them were watery and not very pulpy which makes for bad cooking consistency. Next year I will not be planting as many of them - will supplement with the farmer's trucks in town even if they are more pricey than the grocery store.

Yesterday even though I had lots of stuff to do in the house, I did go out and help DH rake pine needles. I was thinking I'm glad that some of you like yard work once you move up to the commune I was also thinking that I should probably go out and do this for at least an hour a day to build back strength in my arms. It was nice to be outside even though it was cool and the rest of the week is supposed to be quite cold and rainy.

Did I say I got cranberries the other day? Sorted and packaged and froze up 7 pounds - will probably get a bit more - I'm thinking one pound a month would be good for sauce, muffins or the like but shhhhhhh - don't tell DH. Pomegranates are coming into season too - yum - love the crunch on salads but I guess they get mushy when you freeze and thaw them Good for cooking but I like them raw so I'll have to eat my fill for the next 2 months.

Got to go to the grocery store today and drop some books at the library as well as gathering trash and doing laundry. Working tomorrow and I have some declutter projects for the rest of the week. I have promised myself to get more organized as I feel that I am getting too scattered lately.

Sounds like the Worldly Ladies had themselves a good but busy weekend. Sorry that I don't have time for personals right now, will try and come back later.

Will be checking in to see if Annie was able to get hold of Mel - it would be wonderful to hear something. Thanks again Annie I don't want everyone bombarding the place with calls so I will patiently wait in line to hear something.

Later chicks.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #126  
Creating a Healthier Me

Annie - I'm so relieved you found Mel! I look forward to hearing an update when you get one. Thank you so much for your I-Spy talents and persistence. I hope Jen is holding up ok under all the worry and stress.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #127  

Afternoon everyone.

Yesterday I lazed around a good part of the day. Then while I was talking to my mom on the phone, I pulled a bunch of shoeboxes sitting around in the front bedroom and in the closet I use in that bedroom. Removed and recycled all the insides - tissue and cardboard. Stacked the boxes - about 10 of them! Took a look in the linen cabinet and the office closet to see what I could possibly re-use those boxes for.

I ended up using three of them for bank statements and checkbook registers. (Not sure why, but I do like to keep the bank statements for a few years after I've reconciled them to my checkbook.) Now the stacks of envelopes are tucked away.

Bf and I discussed cleaning up the garage before winter sets in and with it the need to park the car in there. And then we hit upon the topic of bf's basement workbench. What a mess! We will use the leftover shoeboxes for pre-sorting the clutter on top of and around the workbench. We think we might need another storage cabinet for a lot of that stuff, as well as some smaller containers. I have a feeling most of the mess is in the category of nails, screws, and other types of fasteners, hooks, and picture hanging doo-dads.

Later we went for a dogwalk and an early dinner. Didn't do much else yesterday.

Back to work today. Re this UTI, I was feeling much better over the weekend, but of course today I feel like I did on Friday. Sigh. If nothing else, I will finish off my cipor rx, and then I have a bp follow-up appointment with my doc on Wed. evening. If this infection is still evident, we'll see what she says to do about it.

Tonight will be my Pilates class. I suppose I better phone the park district because I can't remember what was said last week about class or no class on Columbus Day.

Busy catching up, so I will save personals for later today or tomorrow. TTFN!!
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #128  
Annie - Indiana

In thinking about Jen's email, probably shouldn't call the building where they live as Jen stated she didn't want them to know much for fear of being bombarded with questions etc., and she is not up to answering them. Just a thought.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #129  

Annie, calling Mel's building was a bit of a last resort. But now that you've found her hiding place it shouldn't be necessary. In any case I was just going to tell them that I hadn't been able to reach Mel or Jen and wondered if they could ask Jen to call or email Joy or me. I didn't meet the staff while I was there but I think Joy did, so they might be willing to give us info despite privacy regs. I have a feeling by now the office staff know what's up anyway, and once Mel's in hospice care she'd probably have to give up her apartment anyway as DSS is unlikely to cover both. I was all set to mail a letter with phone card to Jen but will wait to see if you can maybe PM me with Mel's current address or phone number. Mel definitely won't have her cell phone with her as it was tied to her job at the building.

Happy, on another subject, I can't get the "good" allergy meds here any more either. I really wish I'd made a stockpile before they stopped making it!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #130  
Annie - Indiana

OK, I got through to Mellie's room. It was intercepted and I was told that MEL did not want to receive any phone calls except from her daughter. Back to square one. I asked them to give Mel and Jen a message to please email us with an update. All we can do is sit and wait at this point.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #131  
Creating a Healthier Me

Annie - That's a bummer that Mel isn't taking any calls....but I totally understand. Otherwise everyone in the building and their brother would be calling her.

Can someone who has the phone number for the apartment building please get a message to the office that Mel will be receiving a package sent by Priority Mail (and it should arrive tomorrow (Tuesday) or Wednesday at the latest, and to please hold on to it and give it to Jen?

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #132  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Annie - can you please pm me the name of the facility Mel is in so I can at least directly send her a card and letter. Thanks for trying!

I can understand why Mel doesn't want a lot of phone calls - not sure she feels like or is capable of reaching the phone and talking. Moreso I'm sure the building people would be bothering her with nonsense B.S. stuff. Just frustrating because Jen is our only link and if Jen isn't up to talking it leaves us hanging.

Had I gotten a hold of the office I was going to ask for the manager specifically as I think she and Mel are buddies.

Carla - yes, bummer on the allergy meds - I still have a couple of pills I'm hoarding from when you last sent me a box The company came out with a reformulated version but it just didn't work as well so I guess they decided to stop trying altogether. Pity because the stuff really worked...

I just got off the phone with my Mom, now I have to get over to Walmart and then go return some books at the library. One is a new release and it's due today - no renewal and they charge you big bucks for fines if it's late. As it should be I believe when lots of people are on a waiting list. So off I go - just wanted to check in and see if Annie was able to get any info. Thanks again for trying!
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Yeah for Annie for finding Mel. Makes me feel a lot better. I mailed her a card to her apt so maybe Jen will get that and take it to her. Can you send us her address of the facility she's in?

Michelle
Sorry you and Santa were both sick this week end. Rest this coming week end.

Carla
Hi.

--------
We're supposed to get some rain over night and cooler weather.
More later.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #134  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

You done good you lot. I was beginning to believe the worst. So continue to keep sending her cards and letters and we will hear what we will hear. I'm going to continue to try and get hold of Jen.
Annie, I will pm you when I get the chance. Got a lot on today.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #135  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi Annie - As the others have said...thank you so much! And can you please PM me the name or address of the facility? You're amazing, sista!