Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #91  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Laura - sorry you are feeling bad. Rest up, drink some cranberry juice. and feel better quickly.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #92  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone -

My doctor appointment went REALLY well. I really like this new doc, and she's thrilled that I am so motivated to reverse my diabetes and lose weight and get my back better. So she'll be hooking me up with a nutritionist, and with physical therapy. In the meantime, I'm going to be taking my blood sugar twice a day (more if I feel a crash or get lightheaded), tracking everything I eat and drink, and I'll give all that info to the nutritionist. She's also going to schedule me for a mammogram, and a colonoscopy (ugh). She said since all my annual gyne exams have been normal, once she sees the reports she will likely let me go 2-3 years before my next one since I'm post menopausal.

Tonight I'll be compiling all the photos and hopefully be able to upload them to the frame so Mel doesn't have to keep the USB plugged in. But either way...it's all getting mailed to her at 9 am Pacific Time tomorrow.

After the trip to the post office, and dropping Santa off at Day Care, my boyfriend D and I will be going to a Library Book Sale and then to the Renaissance Faire! I'm so excited. I used to love to go in costume, but alas my costumes are in storage and I'm a bit too heavy to fit into them....certainly a good incentive to lose weight for next year!

I can't say enough how pleased I am with this doctor...she wants to treat ALL of me. A holistic approach to health and really help me achieve my health goals rather than just throw pills at me. Granted I take a lot of meds and it may be awhile before I can get off them. But I really liked her positivity and her determination and dedication to getting me more mobile (so I can walk and hike) and more healthy overall!

Gotta run cuz I got into work 2.5 hours late due to the doctor appointment! So much to do.

Feel better Laura!!!

Ceejay - So sorry about the sting. Watch it close and if it starts to swell a lot or gets hot or worse..turns black...get to the doctor QUICK!

I'll try and do personals tonight.

Much love and many hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Laura,
Ugh on the UTI. Glad you stayed home. Feel better soon and I second the motion on getting cranberry juice.

Michelle
A doctor that will help you get to your goals is awesome. And it's so nice to see the words "my boyfriend" in your post.
Believe it or not my hand did swell a bit but mainly hurt like the dickens. A friend told me to put an anitbiotic cream on it and that really helped.

Happy
I actually saw the hornets today and called the landlord to see if they would do something about it. I told them I was stung. But of course it is Friday afternoon.

Susie
You gave me the incentive to finally clean out the shed. I have a few very old paint cans that I need to discard but need to call the sanitation dept to see if I can put them on the road or in a dumpster.

A bit about myself. I'm single, never married, came close a couple of times though. The term "old maid" applies and I'm 63. I have two siblings both female one who lives in Texas, the oldest sibling and the other who lives in Missouri, youngest sibling. I have no children. I am a middle child. I am a licensed water treatment plant operator. I've worked for our city 22 years as of December 4 of this year. Sure would like to retire but with the economy, I'm going to try to stick with it until I'm 65. I live in Arkansas.

--------
Finished the lawn this afternoon. It was really nice to be outside. Then decided to start on the shed. I threw away 1 big bag and part of another of things and called my neighbor to see if she wanted the rest. She came and got it. This morning I started to clean my home office, went to the P.O. to mail my nephew and neice's dvd of Peter Pan and Mel a thinking of you card. I put a gift card from Walmart for Jen and Mel inside.

Last edited by ceejay52; 10-11-2013 at 09:18 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #94  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -

The total number of photos was just over 300. I'm downloading them from DropBox now, and I'll be putting them on a USB drive (flash drive/thumb drive). I was hoping to be able to load them onto the frame itself but it could only hold about 10 photos. I'll be sending the USB drive in the box with the frame. And I've got a card to go with it that's got a very nice message saying we all are thinking about her and sending our love. And I've got instructions for the photo frame. It will go out tomorrow Priority Mail and should arrive by Tuesday (Wednesday at the latest).

For any future/additional photos to send to Mel, I would suggest just saving them to a USB drive and mailing it to her. Or we can do another compilation of photos on DropBox.

Laura - I'm glad you're reading "Following Atticus". It's such a wonderful book. I encourage you to follow the Facebook page as well. Tom Ryan, the author, posts often about the day to day lives of Atticus and their senior citizen Schnauzer Will.

I'll be going to bed soon...hopefully will be able to post more tomorrow night.

Much love,

Last edited by diyana; 10-12-2013 at 03:29 AM.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #95  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

Happy weekend. Always something to see here. We are currently inundated with lady bugs - although they call them Asian Beetles which I guess are the "new" lady bugs. They are all over the outside of the house clamouring to get inside. In addition to that we also are supposed to get an invasion of stink bugs - how nice. They are small angular bugs which are devastating to the garden - I first noticed them this year in the cucumbers and tomatoes as they are migrating up north. Very destructive to gardens and called stink bugs because they emit a strong odor if crushed or disturbed. When I saw them in the garden I just picked them up with a trowel and flung them over the garden fence. Everything is trying to get into the house for the winter - and it's the worse I've seen it as we head into our 3rd winter here. Hope that's not a bad omen.

Yesterday DH and I just had the best day. We took the UTV out on a new trail and it almost started out as a disaster. We were riding along on a narrow trail and some other people were out also but going in the opposite direction. I realized this can be kind of dicey because the trails are narrow and winding and the UTV/ATVs are loud enough to drown out the sound of someone approaching. So... one must drive carefully and PAY ATTENTION. We came to a bend in the path and one guy driving far too fast for conditions nearly sideswiped us. We barely recovered from him when a late teenage / young 20 something kid driving even faster came around the corner driving in the middle of the path and lost control of his ATV - DH swerved off the path or we would have hit head on, banged into a metal trail sign on my side and the kid hit us on the drivers side. AND HE RODE OFF!!!! DH was cussing a blue streak and I don't blame him. We turned around and went after them. They had stopped and the kid said he got confused and sped up instead of releasing the throttle. You could see they were the second worse kind of ATV rider - gun the gas and drive like a maniac so that you fly into the air hitting bumps and such and make big splashes in the water and mud. The worse kind of ATV rider is this kind of person that is also full of beer. Nothing wrong with having a good time rough riding BUT you cant ride that way when there are other people on the trails. If that's what you like - go off roading away from the trails. This idiot darn near tipped us over - good thing DH is such a good driver. After that I was admittedly rather flinchy as we came across other riders but thankfully that was the only goofballs on the trail. And the older guy who was with them just kept grinning at us all the time DH was yelling like he was a goober fool. DH said he figured the guy didn't know what happened with the kid however I did point out the old guy was going too fast also and sideswiped us so the kid was probably just following his lead. After that things calmed down and we had the best ride ever. Leaves were blowing all over as it was getting gusty and the weather was warm and gorgeous. We met some other folks at rest stops and were chatting - everyone remarked about how nice the trails were groomed (there are volunteers who ride the trails and remove dead trees and fill in holes and such). The weather turned cooler today in advance of the rains but we all agreed that yesterday was just the last perfect day for a ride.

Today is catching up on housework, laundry and I need to cook up some of the cranberries I bought as well as bag them and freeze the extras. Also need to cook up the rest of my apples. Going to divide it between sauce and maybe try an apple/pear/cranberry juice blend. So much better than the store bought stuff.

I really enjoyed looking at the pictures on the drop box - I will make some notes and comment later on some of my favorites.

Michelle - one of my favorite photos is the one with you standing in the ocean / bay - the one titled MADE IT TO CALIFORNIA - it's soooo cute. I'm glad you are happy with you new doctor. It means so much when they are interested in helping you with all your goals - and keeping you as healthy as possible. It sounds like you have a wonderful support structure.

Hope you are feeling better Laura.

Shad I was not able to find any contact info for Jen other than the building address. She and Jen must have unlisted cell phones. That's one bad thing about going away from landlines. Harder to find people. I hope you hear something back from her.

Guess the rest of you are busy with your weekends and I need to get my act in gear too. Have a good time.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #96  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Just doing this while drinking my cup of tea before dressing and getting on with my day.
I've been going over what Jen told us about Mel and the hospital. Since I can't seem to get a reply from Jen (and Carol is wondering whether she has made herself sick with the worry) I am thinking about ringing the hospital. However I can't work out whether she meant that Mel was in the Pallisades hospital and going to the Harborage Care facility from there or that she is to be moved to that hospital and then to the hospice. I looked at the map from Google and the Pallisades appears to be the only hospital within cooee of where she lives, but I really don't feel like ringing the place to try and see if she is there. Given that I speak English and you lot speak American, I would probably waste an awful lot of time trying to understand and be understood. Anyone interested in giving it a try??? who speaks American?
Most of the time I don't have problems understanding you lot - well Happy and Mel and Carol who isn't American but I sure did have with Daisy Mae at that place we went to in Arkansas if you remember Happy??? Porched aigs indeed.

Michelle - thanks for all you have done for the photos and the frame. Since I am home next week I will get the money over to you. I couldn't lay hands on that photo of Mel. No doubt now you have sent the parcel, the picture will show itself soon.
It's good that you have found a doctor you like. Seems lady doctors are the more caring type. My new one is doing all sorts of things that my old one didn't do, and I liked him as well.
Maybe you can make the dropbox visible to Suzie so she can see what we all look like. Or maybe not. That might frighten her off.
Carols definition of 'definitely not Igor' or as I termed it 'the beached whale'
The beached whale was spotted in England, and I couldn't resist - in North America even hot-bodied guys won't wear budgie-smugglers, hence the pic. I was actually a long way off but cropped the background out so Mel might be able to see him. He'll fit right in with the firemen she usually goes for. LOL

Ceejay - well done for cleaning out the shed. That's my next big job. DS2 has left a real mess in there and I am compounding his lack of sense. Wanna come over and do mine??

Susie - Nice to have you on board. Sounds like you and Annie will be swapping tips. She's a cleaning whirlwind. The invite to CeeJay extends to you as well. I'd love to have my shed cleaned up. But I guess I will have to do it myself. Lots of things to chuck out there.

So since you asked. I'm 64 and work for myself. I train adults in computer programs - Microsoft, SAP, Peoplesoft, Oracle etc. I work away from home mostly, in mines and refineries and manufacturing plants and also utilities such as power, water, railways etc. and not to mention some Government departments and retail giants. I'm hoping to scale back this year working toward semi retirement. I can no longer do the years away from home and the long flights to get to the remote places. It's been fun, but I'd like to get some projects finished around the house and sort out where I want to spent the next few years. No point in just retiring. One needs a purpose in life.
I'm single now. I have 2 sons, 37 and 39, soon to be 38 and 40. I have no idea how they got to be so old and I have 1 grandchild. I don't see much of her since she lives in Adelaide and I live in Brisbane 2500+ kilometres away. That's her in the picture in my signature and in the pink hat in my avatar. I have 2 great nephews who I have never met thanks to a nephew who prefers not to communicate with the family, and 2 great nieces who I see quite frequently since they live up the road. I am also to be blessed with another great??? through my other niece (no idea what it is and I'd rather not know. I am partial to surprises).
I also have a cat - currently on vacation at her second home (my second son DS2) I had better get her back this weekend.
I never battled weight as a kid, but early in marriage and a sedentary job, I stacked it on and have fought it ever since. I'm now about 20Kilos away from my goal weight. It's becoming an ever increasing battle. I got close once but then it come back and brought a few friends along as well.
I read - it's due to all that time in aeroplanes - so I have a Kindle to keep me out of trouble. Otherwise I'd have to move due to all the books. I garden a lot and keep a healthy vege garden when I am home - and sometimes I get it all planted out and have to go away again. The neighbours and friends who look after the house love it when I go away and they can raid the vege patch.
We usually try to check in once a day - since we are a bunch of worriers and wonder where everybody is particularly as we have been here forever it seems.
My weight loss journey will probably never end. I tend to get discouraged from time to time and the girls here put me on track. So more or less that is me. Oh yes as Happy pointed out, I am a Kiwi now stationed in Australia. Someone has to lift the IQ over here.

Laura - so sorry to hear that you have an UTI. That hurts. Hope it gets better soon. That'll cut your exercise a bit I'll bet.

Annie - where'd you get to? Sleeping off the St Louis adventure? Good to hear both Sassie and Sissie are doing well.

Happy - stupid kids, seem to think they are immortal. Glad DH ripped strips of him. Also hope you didn't damage the ATV or do yourself any further harm. Stink bugs and lady bugs - how nice! NOT. Join the club - we seem to be getting spiders and bloody cockroaches. It would seem that one of the jobs next week is to 'bomb' out the house. I found a cockroach on the toilet seat last night. Flicked him into the loo with one hand and flushed with the other. However where there is one, rather was one, there are a cast of thousands.

Okay time to go get on with it. Got a list of things to do. Got up the power company AGAIN on Friday and now should start to make a list of all the times I've called and tried to straighten things out. It's all on bits of paper. I might add that the man I got on Friday (Hugh) actually sounded like he might have something between his ears. But I will wait for the answer before I make that a definite statement. Also need to finish up some doco - that I have now written 3 times. Unfortunately Microsoft managed to screw up the formatting twice (what you get when you go across Word versions) and I need to reformat and put back the dot points etc. It's all too hard. Okay I am off.

Last edited by Shad; 10-12-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #97  

Afternoon all. Doggy and I just got back from a walk. The day started off nice enough, but clouded up later in the morning, then rained up til just when we got home from lunch. Glad I was able to get doggy out for his walk.

Michelle - I'm so glad you like your new doctor. It'll be good to have her support on your journey to reverse the diabetes. Hope you're enjoying the Renaissance Fair.

Ceejay - Sorry you got the bee sting! Hope the pain and swelling have gone down. Good job getting going on the shed clean-out.

Happy - Terrible you and dh encountered idiots on the ATV path, but I'm glad you had a nice day otherwise. Even though you'd mentioned the leaf display is almost finished up by you, I'm sure it was still plenty beautiful. Yum, cranberries! Love them in sauces, quickbreads and muffins. One time I made a cranberry-apple pie and that was tasty. I'm not a huge fan of drinking cranberry juice straight though, so when I do drink it, I might just add a splash to some seltzer water or mix it with some orange juice. I don't drink it on a regimen to prevent UTIs - I had a couple 1/2 cup servings of it yesterday, but only because I thought it might help flush the infection out of my body. Ick re the bugs, but it seemed like the other night I saw a couple miscellaneous bugs around the house - they must be wanting to escape the chill at night. Thanks for your review of the movie Gravity. I love Clooney, sort of "meh" about Bullock in some roles, but I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, so even if the ending is disappointing, I'm still planning to see it. Bf wants to see it in an IMAX 3D theater, just not sure when we'll get around to it. He seems to want to go see it with a couple we know, but I can't see them having the time at the moment. Plus, the hubby is being affected by the partial govt shutdown...money's tight for them always, but especially now I imagine.

Susie - Sounds like a nice staycation. I just took some time off and part of that was spent at home. Not sure it was a staycation - didn't do anything special. We probably should have cleaned out our garage. It's needed doing for quite a while! So we have another Worldly in the general Midwest US region. I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago with my boyfriend and our dog. I work in downtown Chicago. I take a commuter train to work and by the time all is said and done, it's about an hour each way. But I don't drive any of my commute, and about half of it's on the train (the rest I walk and cycle), so I generally don't mind it at all. I'll be turning 50 next July and it seems you and I have the same thought re going into our 50's weighing less and being healthier! I've lost about 30 pounds since last September, partly on my own and partly through weight watchers at work. Still trying to hit goal - I'm getting close - but have more new habits to form, so I shouldn't try to rush it I guess.

Hi Shad - Hope you're enjoying your weekend back at home!

Annie

==
So I called in sick Friday. There was some kind of animal altercation outside our bedroom window in the middle of the night Thursday that woke me up and I had to go to the bathroom again even through I'd just gotten up to go a couple hours earlier. Not a good sign. So I didn't really get back to sleep that night. Tried for a bit, but then got up and read for a bit.

I got to the store for the meds, stopped to pick up a doughnut (feeling sorry for myself, turn right to eating, bleh). A bit more reading and then showered. Bf and I met his mom for lunch at an Italian restaurant near her place. Really good food, I'll spare you the food porn details, lol. After that we went straight to my doc's office, where I gave them a urine sample . Of course the OTC med I took turned my pee orange, but they could still somehow tell there was something off, and the doc wrote me an rx for Cipro. They are sending the sample out for a culture to make sure Cipro will deal with whatever type of infection this is. (forgot to mention: between the OTC med I bought and the cipro, I'm feeling much better today. trying to glug a lot of water as well.)

Didn't do much of anything after that - stopped by the library and home depot, watched part of a dvd we borrowed from the library. Conked out about 20 min. from the end, so I guess we'll finish watching that tonight.

This morning was generally lazy, and then I sorted my laundry and did a couple loads. Picked more tomatoes and some of the fresno chilis from the veg garden before the rain came. Did two workouts from my new BE dvd.

Bf and I went to lunch at a place by the house and afterwards stopped off at the doggie daycare (and boarding/grooming) facility nearby. I'd been curious about it for a long time, especially after the good reviews by our neighbors with the puppy. It seems like a really good place to go. They were having an adoption event today, along with a priest doing blessings, AND a bake sale (human and dog treats - we ended up buying a mini-loaf of apple pie quickbread). I was surprised by the number of dogs in daycare on a Saturday, but I guess it makes sense - people work on Saturdays, or are out of town, or have days full of activities and don't want their dogs to be left alone - just like they do on weekdays. We spoke with an employee and have decided we'll get Coal in for a behavioral assessment and if all goes well, buy a package of half-day visits just to get Coal some dog company once a week.

Suddenly feeling tired again - all this typing!! When Coal & I left the house for our walk, bf left to go to the last few hours of an auto auction being held in Schaumburg, so it's nice and quiet right now. Think I'm going to watch some tv and/or read in bed. Just don't want to fall asleep for too long and have trouble sleeping overnight!!

Okay, off to fetch my book. Everyone enjoy the rest of their weekend.

Last edited by Laura705; 10-12-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #98  

Had trouble posting earlier.
Finished my laundry and ironed my work clothes for the week.
A friend stopped by earlier for a visit. I was glad to see her. I told her to call me if she wanted to go eat Thursday.
Text with my friend in Jonesboro.
Nothing else is going on.
Back to work tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #99  
Choose your hard

Shad - I can give it a go with Mel on Sunday. I re-read Jen's note. Seems like Mel is in the medical facility and is awaiting a place at the assisted living place next to the hospital. There is no need right now for you to spend time and effort trying to cross international date lines to get through to the hospital. I can speak American and New England and so can DH although I think we are both woefully out of practice speaking 'Jersey but can make do. I will let you know what I find out. If they give me any information at all. It would be nice to talk to Mel if that's possible. I will try around noon my time on Sunday.

Last edited by happy2bme; 10-13-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #100  
Choose your hard

Shad - this reminds me when we were trying to get information about your friend Chris in Japan and you could not get anyone speaking English so I put you in touch with Red Balloon who startled poor Chris but was able to get the message through. Never underestimate the Worldly Chicks
Old 10-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #101  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

The Worldlies and their associated fan club are just the greatest. We can and have done, and will do again make miracles. Thanks Happy.

Isn't that Joisey and not Jersey?

Last edited by Shad; 10-13-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #102  
Choose your hard

Just called - neither the hospital nor the extended care facility has her listed as a patient. I doubt she changed her name. I wonder if the insurance / medical care had her transferred to another hospital.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #103  
Choose your hard

... and yes - it's Joisey - the people I talked to sure had their Joisey going on
Old 10-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #104  

taking a break from getting the week end paper work balanced.
Yep it was back to work for me.
Felt good last night to get all things completed on my list.

Happy
I'm wondering if Mel is at home. The gov shut down may have some bearing on things.

Laura
How are you feeling?
Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #105  
Choose your hard

Called Mel's cellphone but as expected no answer. Left a message but I'm not sure if anyone is screening calls.

Short of driving over there - not sure what else to do. I hope the lack of communication is not an indicator of something really bad.