Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #136  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I will get to the PMing today....in just a bit. Right now I have to finish my report for the 7:30 meeting.

Hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #137  
Annie - Indiana

SHort Meeting..yeah!

I PMed those that I did not PM yesterday with Mel's information.

Ladies, I made the Roasted Fish and Tomato recipe last night. YUM. I also added green pepper from the garden and an onion to the veggies, and as I said only cherry tomatos and black olives. C was in heaven and said I outdone myself. It was a really EASY recipe and tasted great. Also I added the herbs at the time of roasting the veggies instead of waiting. I didn't use COD I used the Crappies that C caught and we froze.

That was the highlight of the evening. The Colts played awful and lost the the worse team in the league. I dozed off and on while watching it but woke up for that last 10 minutes. Why I do not know as they s*cked.

Tonight I am making the roasted chicken recipe. Tomorrow a easy crocker recipe that will be ready when we get back from covered bridge. I will not be on 3FC tomorrow so if there is any news could someone please text me the info or at least tell me to go on line and read it???

I have to hit the loo, the coffee has kicked in. Yikes...

Loves and Hugs, Prayers and Good THoughts for all.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Annie
Thought maybe you did a lot of research online. Thanks for Mel's address.

Going to be a tough day. Rain is on the way so I'm going to have to pay more attention to the radar and run the plant accordingly.
Stopped by the grocery store last night and bought a few groceries. I always forget to plan for the evening meal.
Should be ashamed of myself cause I haven't done the challenge in a few days. but I'll start back tonight.
More later.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #139  

Michelle, I just called and spoke to Mel's friend at the office of her building. She'll keep an eye out for the parcel and will make sure Mel gets it. She also said she had gone to see Mel yesterday - one of the only people allowed in to see her - and she was doing reasonably well. Basically they're keeping her comfortable, and she'll be with us for a while yet. So at least she should be able to enjoy the picture frame, as well as any cards or notes sent to her at the nursing home. I did ask that she mention to Jen or to Mel that maybe they could add Joy's name to the phone list, but I don't know whether it'll happen or not. I also asked about Jen and was told she's managing all right so far.

And now I have to get out to an appointment and then off to work. Joy, if you read this, I'll email you later, no time now.

Annie, thanks again for tracking Mel down, you're an absolute star!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #140  
Annie - Indiana

Thanks Carol for your help.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #141  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Carla and Annie - You ladies are amazing!!

Annie - Thanks so much for finding Mel and getting her address to us!

Carla - I'm so glad you were able to reach Mel's friend at the office. I'm so glad she'll be on the lookout for the package, which should arrive today...or tomorrow at the latest. I'm glad to hear that Jen is managing ok, and that Mellie is doing reasonably well.

I was going to rant on about my insurance and how they don't pay hardly anything for my asthma meds or my diabetes testing supplies. Luckily my asthma isn't too bad and I haven't taken my meds in months...so I guess I'm ok. As for my testing supplies...I can get them on Amazon for less than half of what the insurance co-pay is. A friend of mine suggested looking into the prices at the pharmacy at Costco (sort of like a Sam's Club).

Time to get some work done!

Much love to all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #142  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

'morning kids,

Well done ladies - thank you very much for the sleuthing - I am thrilled. And a great big thank you to Carla for the update. I am so relieved to hear that Mel is holding up well - and Jen also. I realized that our conversations may be a little one sided but at least we can communicate and that's all that matters to me. I wrote her another letter last night and will pop it in the mail on my way to the thrift shop this afternoon. Thank you too Carla for calling the office and getting things straightened out. I'm sure Mel that photo frame will give Mel lots of smiles and will at least help to while away the time. You girls are fabulous

Michelle - I know you mentioned this before but the senior moment keeps me from remembering - were you able to get a caption on the pictures to somewhat identify them?

Even though I felt like I should have been doing things around the house, I'm glad we took some time last week to take a few drives. It truly was the last week to enjoy nice weather and the last remnants of the color season. There is a heavy cold rain today which will continue on and off throughout the week. Temperatures are dipping down and they are talking about snow flurries on Saturday. No I am not ready for this although I wouldn't mind starting up the fireplace again, especially if I decide to start reading the 50 or so books I seem to have squirreled away. I got the fresh cranberries bagged up and frozen and got myself to Walmart and bought wayyyyyy more than I planned to. Found some interesting things like a boxed mix for the famous Cheddar Garlic biscuits they have at Red Lobster. I have not found a cheddar biscuit recipe that could come close to there's so I have high hopes. Can't wait to make some soup to go with it. We are well stocked for the Armageddon now, can't fit one more bit into my refrigerator or freezer so I'd best get cooking.

Carla - you are a star yourself. Can't tell you how much your update about Mel cheered my heart. I was bracing for not good news if I have to be honest. Thank you for coming out of lurk mode and helping out Was also good to see your pictures. Are you still swimming in half frozen lakes?

Ceejay - are there tropical storms headed your way or just the fall rains? I have not been paying attention to what's going on in the country I'll admit. Stay dry and hope you don't get any flooding rains. The most important thing about the challenges is to get right back up and moving again. Time spent fretting is time wasted.

Annie - thank you again for everything you have done means a lot. I don't want to bombard everyone with lots of calls - am happy to just get some news. Thanks too for the recipe reviews. Now I will have to try those although you can have all my olives. Beets and olives are something I've never taken a shine to. Have a good time tomorrow. This weekend we went for a UTV drive and stopped at a bar to have lunch. As we were headed there we passed a home that had a real covered bridge as part of their driveway. It looked authentic - as if someone had carefully relocated it to the property. It was REALLY COOL looking. Take pictures!

Shad - are you all settled back home now? I imagine you have a huge list of things to do, particularly outside as spring must be in full bloom or did you move right into summer? You said it was warmer than usual.

Michelle - sorry to hear that you and Santa weren't feeling well. Is he better now? I had gotten a few books on Diabetes - seems like it really comes down to keeping a proper weight and getting exercise. Also if you were a junk food carb junkie which I don't think you are - the McD's habits have to go. And I still feel stress contributes a lot too. I would hope that your numbers have come down a bit just because you are at a happier place in your life right now. Thanks again for getting, assembling and shipping the photo frame.

Susie - hope we haven't lost you in the ruckus but occasionally we get distracted for a bit. And when the Worldies are on a mission, we're like a bulldozer. At least you know we stick together! Now that your vacation is over how are you doing on packing lunches and meeting your exercise goals?

Laura - your post reminds me that I have a bunch of boxes to clear out of my closet. I generally save the box for a bit when I get a new appliance like a hairdryer - just to make sure it works. I have a bunch of empty shoe boxes too - am trying to replace them with more practical plastic boxes but it seems like when I toss them, I inevitably look for one the next day. As for BF's workbench - DH took plastic (cleaned of course) mayonnaise jars and nailed the cover into a 2x4 of a wood plank. He then fills the jars with screws and nails and such and screws the jars into the wood plank so they appear to be "suspended" from the shelf if that makes sense. He was using glass jars at first from salad dressing but said he likes the plastic ones better because if they hit the cement floor, he doesn't have to worry about plastic breaking. Just a thought...

Well I'd better get off my butt here - I have a few things I want to do before I head to the shop today. Have a good one all - stay dry if the skies are crying out your way.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #143  
Choose your hard

Michelle - just a thought but if you have the option to set aside pre-tax money for the health care spending account - you could use that for your testing supplies. That's what I did. I used Amazon for the strips - just be careful because some of the cheapest prices were sending out strips that were close to their expiration dates which can affect the test results.

And one of the things I've heard people most complain about with insurance is the high price of allergy and asthma meds vs the tiny amount that insurance reimburses. In fact some people said the only reason they had insurance was to afford their allergy meds. Crazy, crazy...
Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #144  

Morning all.

Annie - Enjoy the covered bridge festival. Fingers for decent weather!! Thanks for Mel's addy. Good work! I sent a card last week to her apt, but will switch to the new addr. That fish recipe sounds tasty (except for the olives, I'm not a fan of them) and would have been good with all the cherry tomatoes I had on hand last week, but now those are coming to an end... Looking forward to hearing about the chicken recipe.

Carla - Thanks for the news on Mel. Such a relief she's being kept reasonably comfortable, and probably a good thing her calls are being limited. We all know people in the building pestered her to no end even when signs were posted that she was off limits.

Ceejay - Hope your day at work isn't too bad. You'll get back to the challenge when you can. Maybe you can split it up to make it easier? I'd suggest you do some of it at work (since you do some of it in a chair), but it's probably not a good idea since I recall they have you on cameras... Went back a ways to the posts - not long til your vacation/staycation. I hope your cousin can travel with you if you decide to leave town.

Happy - Sorry your tomato crop was disappointing, as well as the outcome of the recipes you tried. Time to find a new batch of recipes to try for next season! I agree it's a good idea to plant less. Why subject yourself to the stress of trying to use up the excess and/or the guilt when you're unable to do so?? I've been mostly eating my cherry tomatoes out of hand for a snack at work and in cottage cheese and salads. The remaining large variety tomatoes that I've picked have had splits at the stem, so I will likely not try to use them - not sure what made that happen. A lot of the cherry tomatoes also split when I was picking them or after I got them indoors. Wouldn't mind knowing what causes that. Have to research if it's a watering thing or the extremes in temp between day/night, or outdoor/indoor.

Michelle - Sorry you and Santa weren't feeling good over the weekend. I hope you're (both) feeling better, and that the testing kit helps you avoid the crashes you've been experiencing. Sounds like the Ren fair was fun, and you got some good books at the library sale. I read a couple chapters of the Atticus book over the weekend, but just finished another book last night, so I'll be digging into the Atticus one this week. So far, so good.

Susie - I hope being back at work hasn't been too hellish for you. Good goals to track your eating and get in your exercise. I do find tracking helps me a lot, but I'm not being very consistent with it at the moment... Gosh, I hope my UTI is just a UTI and nothing more.

Hi Shad!!

==
Nothing much to report. Pilates was good last night. Next week is the last week of the session for my Pilates & Barre classes, so I'll have to figure out what to do next for exercise. Not sure if I'll continue with either of those classes or buy a punchcard for the other group fitness classes. I want a balance of strength training and flexibility/stretching.

Yesterday was a bad food day, but I tried to finish up better by having the lentil soup for dinner. It's almost gone since we gave bf's mum a good-sized container of it too. I'll make some more - it's generally quick and easy. But I want to make another variety of soup as well. Maybe I'll pick a recipe today and run out to the market after work and pick up whatever I might need to make it and make something tonight.

Not going to the movies tonight, they chose Gravity, and as I mentioned, bf wants to see it at a super duper 3d/imax theater, and I guess our local theater doesn't have that.

WW weigh-in in 30 min. Last meeting of the session. Hope we have a good-sized group for the next session.

Our fundraiser kickoff is this afternoon. Part of it is off-site nearby, but I'm not too enthused to have to walk over there - it's forecast to rain today. We'll see.

Okay, better get this posted and get back to productive endeavors. TTFN.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #145  
Choose your hard

Laura - IMAX might be a good idea for the Gravity movie - the 3D effects might be more enhanced. I was thinking of travelling up to Duluth to see it at a show there but when we had been making plans with the other couple, we just decided to see it here. Maybe wearing eyeglasses diminishes the effect of the 3D glasses for me but I just don't seem to see a lot of "reach out and touch" something that I expect.

As for the splits in the tomatoes - I checked that out earlier because I wanted to see if I was doing something. Turns out it happens because of a sudden growth spurt in the tomatoes - generally caused by a heavy rain (Mother Nature vs us with a watering can or hose) or sudden favorable temperature shifts -as happened with us - it was on the cool and dry side and then we got a good rain followed by temps in the 80s and suddenly everything started popping. Literally. So not much you can do to control or prevent splits. If it hasn't broken the skin it's ok to eat they say but deep cracks or where the flesh has been exposed, nope.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #146  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Ladies,

We are having lunch together today! I am working from home and decided to take a 30 min break and check in and eat.

The reason I'm working from home is we had a plumbing issue and I needed to call the plumber. I'm thrilled he was able to come this morning and the repair was just a little over $100. You just never know with these things!

I'm having a wonderful salad. I have cranberries and blue berries in it and some feta cheese, also some sunflower seeds, it's a mix of lettuces and spinich leaves and I'm having a poppy seed dressing with it and big glass of water.

I'm excited about the Biggest Loser tonight. Is anyone else planning to watch it?

I'm also excited because my DH told me he wanted to go with me to the Y tonight and get a walk or bike in. I'm so excited! When he used to work out with me, I really strayed on track and I was only 25 lbs from my goal. The past two years he hasn't worked out much and I let those lbs pack back on.

I wanted to share something from the TOPS rally that I went to on saturday. One of the favorite things I like to see is the before and after parade. It is inspiring to see this! A couple of the gals talked their "story" with us and one stood out to me. She had 75 lbs to lose to goal. She would yo-yo back and forth so she set herself a goal of 1/4 lb loss a week and as long as she averaged 1 lb loss a month she was happy with herself. She came up with that because when she didn't see a big loss on the scales she would go off plan. Most weeks she lost more than that and sometimes she had a gain..but she kept that 1/4 weekly goal in mind and it took her just at 2 years to get her weight off and she looks good!

I am amazed at this group of women! The way you all found Mel and Jen and the way you are supporting Mel is amazing!

I'm trying to learn all your names and who goes with which profile name.

Michelle: I think you were the one asked me about my email address so I could see what you all look like. I will PM you with my email.

Laura: I'm sure your UTI is just a UTI and I hope you are feeling much better by now

Ok..time for me to get back to work. I'm working on a Powerpoint for our Dept meeting tomorrow and of course everyone is sending me things at the last minute
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #147  

Gain of 0.6 this week. Aaargh. Grand total loss for this 17-week WWAW session is a measly 0.4 pounds. Sigh. But I have a total of 13.8 lost for both ww sessions. And I'm still down 29 pounds from when I started my journey last September. Next week, new session, fresh start. I will make headway during session number 3.

Oh, and the leader threw out this statistic: Americans (at least I think it was just the US) gain an average of 5 to 15 pounds during the time between Halloween and New Year's. Wow. Let's not do that this year Worldlies!!

Susie - I'm glad you were able to get the plumber in and it didn't cost an arm and a leg! So great you and dh are going to the gym together. I wish my bf and I could do that, but it just doesn't work out like that for us. Bf likes the gym - strength training machines, pool, raquetball, etc. I prefer group fitness classes. The last gym we belonged to was inexpensive, but didn't have classes. The gym bf just moved to is brand new, very nice, and has classes, but is expensive. For him it works. For me, I probably wouldn't get the value out of it. I don't watch The Biggest Loser (TBL) consistently, but I would like to catch the first show - I might dvr it because I feel it's entirely too long and I like to fast forward through a lot.

Happy - Let us know how the biscuit mix works out - I just love those Red Lobster biscuits!! Okay, I do recall now you saying that about the causes of the tomato skins splitting, but I suppose there's nothing to be done to prevent it???

Michelle - Yeh, Costco has good prices. We save a ton on our contact lenses there (vs. the eye doc). That said, I might be switching from my 2-week contacts to dailies and it's more than double the cost...even if I buy an entire year's supply all at once and get the 25% discount offered by Costco. I'll have to call around to other places and think about this. Very interesting about the high cost of the allergy and asthma meds even with insurance. I almost never use my inhaler, but I feel I should have one around, and I recall being shocked at the cost. What's with that??
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #148  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - Unfortunately I wasn't able to configure the frame so that it would display the file names with the photos, so that would identify the photos. I thought about adding them in Photoshop, but I knew that would take time with 300+ images, and I wanted to get it mailed off ASAP. I still could do that and just mail a replacement USB. Perhaps a project for this weekend. As for me being a junk food junkie...yes and no. My faves are the McCafe Mocha Frappe (large size), and the Wendy's frosty. I also LOVE sweets (cakes, brownies and ice cream) and breads. Those are my downfall. I have checked out numerous books (and audiobooks) from the library about controlling/reversing diabetes, and you're right...it comes down to limiting starches and sweets, and exercise, exercise, exercise. I also just bought 5 or 6 books on diabetes at the library book sale. They were only 50 cents a piece and were published recently, and those that I don't like I can donate back to the library for them to sell to someone else.

Laura - I hope your UTI is doing better.

Susie - I sent you an invite to the DropBox. Since it's free, I'm not in any hurry to take it down or remove the photos. And if people want to add more photos, they can go in the next batch. I enjoy watching The Biggest Loser, and I have it set up to DVR in case I don't get home from the gym in time to watch it. That's really smart about the woman who set a goal of 1/4 lb a week. So nice you can work from home. At my former job, I was able to do that...but not at this one.

Laura - Santa and I are both feeling better. As for the testing kit...yep, I've got one, but I'm still waiting on the test strips. I did, however, finally remember to pick up some glucose tablets for when I get a crash. I've gotta hand it to ya' for doing the Pilates and Barre classes. Pilates is a killer class. And I'm sure Barre isn't easy either. I may go to the gym 4+ days per week, but I still think you are the exercise

Gotta get back to it.

Much love,

Not sure who mentioned "Gravity" first, but my sister saw it and loved it! I'd like to see it...maybe even in an IMAX 3D.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #149  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Melody's Address

Could I get Melody's address as well, please? Thank you in advance. You could send it to:
[email protected]

Thanks again!
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #150  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi JavaTurtle,

I just sent you Mel's address.

Hugs,
Michelle