3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Worldlies - no slothing in September - step it up (its Spring) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/286994-worldlies-no-slothing-september-step-up-its-spring.html)

Hotcupojava 09-09-2013 10:34 AM

Hi

Happy Birthday Michelle :carrot:

Melody, Please get well soon. It did occur to me when reading Mel's update, that the crazy, paranoid woman that was bothering Melody is the likely elevator urine suspect. Maybe I've worked too long in law enforcement, but that is what I deduced, dear Watson. :mag:

Have a wonderful week, everyone.

Laura705 09-09-2013 11:11 AM

Morning all.

Ceejay – Nice to have a partner in the ab challenge! :-) I’ve also been thinking of replacing the sit-ups with something else too. I thought crunches had replaced traditional sit-ups long ago as a better alternative - work the abs more/better. The traditional ones tend to work the hip flexors more than the abs themselves! In the past I have done full sit-ups in Pilates class, but they are more like roll-ups – done very very slowly so as to work the abs, and we only do a few reps before moving on to the next thing. Not the same thing at all really. I might just add the quantity of sit-ups to the crunches and do only the crunches. As for the leg raises, I like the idea of doing them one leg at a time, or I’ve also done them with the knees bent instead of straight, and alternating legs. It’s smart to modify for yourself. The central idea of the challenge is to do something consistently and progressively work up to more reps to challenge yourself and get strong in the process. Sorry to hear about your monitor breaking down. If you get a new one, make it nice and big- so much easier to see! I hope your back and neck are better now.

Happy – Sorry to hear dh’s back is giving him trouble. I hope the pain eases up for him. As for Nina bugging him – cats have their own timetable, don’t they?? LOL. Good luck with the job you applied for. Even if you don’t want to work, I’m sure the peace of mind concerning insurance & financial matters would make it more bearable. Re assisted living - my mother is definitely healthy enough right now to forgo having 3 meals provided for her at one of those assisted living facilities – she ideally needs one of those places that have a range of facilities from a simple apartment to progressively more services, as needed. OMG, too bad about the string in the blind breaking. We invested in very nice wood blinds all over most of the house and the plastic mechanisms in the ones on the west side windows are starting to show signs of problems – probably because the sun/heat has made them brittle and more likely to break. In fact, the largest blind that’s on the living room picture window will no longer rise and on another one in the living room, the tilt mechanism doesn’t work. Sigh. We’re making do right now, but it’s very frustrating to not be able to get the correct part for the one blind. We haven’t even addressed the possibility for repair of the other, which broke relatively recently. Eek re the bat!! Hope it’s not rabid and is just finding a new spot. Do you think it helps with the mosquitos at all??

Michelle – Sounds like you had a great weekend! I’m glad you had a do-over and did it up right because you deserve it. You’ve worked so hard to turn things around for yourself. I’m glad to hear you so happy these days! :hug:

Shad – Thanks for passing along the news on Mel from Jen. Sounds like it’s gonna take some time to get everything working again!! I just hope the hospital can be avoided!!! I hope your first workday back went well – getting your brain back into work mode after a lot of time off had to be difficult. Your garden is going to be so pretty! I love that it’s raised a bit. And what a gorgeous rose! What a green thumb you have! Yummmm, corn. Love it roasted on the grill and slathered with butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper! Good thing we haven’t done a lot of that this year!

Hi Annie!! Hi Mel!!

Java – I also agree that the crazy lady bugging poor Mel is also the person who peed in the elevator. Have a great week.
==
Nothing much to report. It was nice being at home on Saturday morning. I sorted and filed some paperwork in the home office. I cycled over to my hair appointment. It was a hot day so after I pedaled back home, I watched several episodes of Monarch of the Glen during the afternoon. I have to return the dvd’s tonight. At least I got through about half of the 4th season. No hurry – the series is no longer being made and once I get through all the seasons, that’s it, so why rush through it? Also did some laundry and a dog walk.

Yesterday morning was a lazy day with the newspapers. Aside from that I did laundry and a dog walk. Went out for lunch and then a stop at the market. We had tacos last night, using up all but one of our big tomatoes. We have a couple more ripening on the vine, but bf gave away several on Saturday.

I was reading one of our library newsletters the other day and learned we have free access to digital magazines. It was a bit of a PITA to set up – two separate accounts – but I now have access to some magazines online, including Weight Watchers, Shape, Food Network magazine, etc. Not too keen on looking at them with my cell phone, but I might try to learn how to use our iPad (bf is currently the only one using it) so I can browse mags on it.

Tonight is the first Mat Pilates class of the session. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my BE dvds. Hope they get here this week so I can add a third workout to my week.

That’s about it for me, better post and get back to it before the interruptions make me lose this.

happy2bme 09-09-2013 12:38 PM

Hi guys,

Busy day today will have to come back tonight to post.

Just wanted to wish Happy Birthday to Michelle :hb: :bday2you::celebrate::woo: I hope you have a terrific day.

Also sending good healing thoughts to Mel and a thank you to Jen and Shad for keeping us updated.

Will be back later.

ceejay52 09-09-2013 05:30 PM

I am so sleepy.
Trying to get caught up with the mountain of paper work. We each do our own.

-------
Laura
I was thinking about the same thing re doing the same amount of crunches and sit ups combined. And I may substitute the plank for something else too.

Happy
Didn't realize you had applied for the job. Wishing you good luck.

Java
I was thinking the same thing with the woman knocking on Mel's door and the person p'ing in the elevator.

Hello to everyone else :wave:

Shad 09-10-2013 04:59 AM

Evening all
First day back at work and I am knackered. Didn't do much either - as per normal I had a login but no authorisation to do anything on the computer. I got that put right and then didn't have SAP access. Oh and get this, the guy on the help desk who solved my network problems sent me an email to say that it was fixed. Hello, I don't have access and my password is now defunct - how can I get my email???? Hello!!!

Happy Birthday Michelle. Bit late, but it was on time in Facebook. Glad to hear that you had a great day.

Laura is back at the beach again I see from her avatar.

Happy is on the run.

DS2 has contracted Bells Palsy. He is not a happy chappy. But it will come right given time. It's not like he had a stroke although that is what he thought was happening. He is also covered in huge bruises but can't see what is causing them. So blood tests all around for him. Unusual because he rarely gets sick and is not a good patient. Poor J. She has to put up with him.

Gotta run. Have a little bit more left to do before I can sit down and relax. Better sort out some lunch and dinner for tomorrow too. Need to do some shopping or Miss Puss will not get any dinner.

annie175 09-10-2013 07:55 AM

Good Morning...

Got an early call this morning 4:30 am. Oldest brother was admitted to the hospital. Blood sugars way up and creatinine level is 2.2, normal is .08, meaning his kidneys are not functioning up to par. Scary stuff...as this is a lot of what virtually got momma and daddy, along with all their other problems. Please send good thoughts and prayers and strength.

I will get back later girls. Working a short day to get to the hospital.
Loves

ceejay52 09-10-2013 08:27 AM

Annie
Sending good thoughts and prayers for your brother.

Shad
Also sending your DS2 good thoughts and prayers.

-------
I'm really glad that this is my 3 day work week. I've been super tired and sleepy. I had made plans to go to Jonesboro this week end but I think I need to stay home and rest.

Laura705 09-10-2013 10:15 AM

Morning all.

Shad - Prayers to DS2. Have to look up Bell's Palsy - scary if he thought it was a stroke! And the bruises are scary too. :( Hope today's workday is more productive for you.

Ceejay - Good idea to stay home and rest - you've been driving a lot! I say give the plank a try for a bit - there's no movement to it, so it's probably not gonna cause you any joint or muscle strain. Except for the part where you have to get down & up off the floor, LOL.

Annie - Prayers to your brother.

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies!! :wave:
=====
Wow, was it ever hot yesterday! And more today. Thank goodness for A/C!!!

Went to my Mat Pilates class last night. I've had the instructor before, she's very good. I wonder if she's also the one teaching the Barre class on Wed.

It'll be quiet here the next few days, the sr mgr and the boss are out of the office. Unfortunately, the place they've gone is o=in the path of tropical storm Gabrielle...hope their travel plans don't get interrupted too badly.

Nothing going on tonight as I decided to skip movie night. I need to get out in the yard and water everything - hot and no rain for the past several days.

I'm on track with the ab challenge. Need to call the BP monitor company and find out where I send it for repair/replacement.

TTFN.

diyana 09-10-2013 11:30 AM

A super quick post this morning. I had a fabulous birthday! The party Saturday night was great! And Ziplining on Sunday was really fun! I admit, I freaked out on the first line and thought I was going too fast, so I applied the brakes and got stuck halfway across....had to pull myself arm over arm to the other side. I almost called it quits right then. But the guide agreed to take me tandem, which meant both of us clipped on the line together so I didn't have to worry about braking or steering (which is done to keep you from spinning on the line)...I could just enjoy the ride. And enjoy I did! We rented a helmet cam, so I hope to have video to share in a week or so.

Sunday, on the way home from Ziplining, I got very nauseous. At first, I thought it was carsickness from the windy road. Then when it didn't go away after I got home and when I still felt very nauseous yesterday morning (so much so that I didn't go to work yesterday), I chalked it up to the busy weekend, insomnia and adrenaline. I'm doing much better today, now that my feet have been firmly on terra firma for over a day. :rofl:

Annie - I'm saying prayers for your dear brother. I hope they determine the cause of the levels being so high and are able to correct it. Sending hugs to you.

Shad - Saying prayers for your DS2 as well. I've heard of Bells Palsy, but don't remember the details. I hope his health will right itself soon. :hug:

:wave: to everyone! Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I had such a great and wonderfully memorable time!

Much love and many hugs,

happy2bme 09-10-2013 12:05 PM

Morning girls,

Geez, whole lotta troubles in the world today :( Sending prayers for your brother Annie, hope this is something that can be treated and mended quickly. :hug: Also sorry to hear about DS2 Shad - I have heard that is a condition that eventually works itself out but has to be incredibly frustrating in the interim. And then there is poor Mel who is not only sick but has to deal with the crazies on top of it. Give the woman a tin foil pointed hat - the crazy not Mel - and send her on her way.

This week everything decided to break in bits. First the light in the closet went out. I was pulling down the shades the other night and one of the cellular shades broke. That means 9 replacements at over $1,000. Then DH was warming something yesterday and the top vent grill decided to just break and fall off the microwave. There are 2 pieces that are screwed in to hold it and the plastic just deteriorated away. The microwave still works but it's due for a replacement. I looked into convection microwaves which is a combo oven and microwave but I think I'll stick with a plain old microwave unless any of you want to offer up some comments. The light in the laundry room decided to follow it's mate in the closet although DH said it's probably just a light bulb that's out. And then we have poor sick Miss Kitty Cat. Something is preventing her from digesting her food - could be a lack of pancreatic enzymes, could be a B12 deficiency will take a battery of $100 blood tests to find out further. Monday they are doing a procedure which will introduce working bacteria into her gut to try and grow what needs to be there. It's a more intense method than simply eating yogurt per se. I won't say more because it's gross but it will involve some nasty work on our part. Good thing we love our animals. ;) However money is just flying out the door. But sometimes life is like that. I don't really want to go back to work and seeing how this job I applied for is paying way more than the standard going rate around here, I doubt I will be called for an interview and even if, it will probably just be a courtesy one to show they are trying to be fair to all candidates. DH is having some expensive blood tests also to dry and determine the cause (and treatment) of a rash on his legs. Sounds like it's more than just weak blood vessels. Mom is just being a ... stubborn pain... really digging her heels in and being so childishly stubborn that she deserves to be in time out. Her stubbornness is going to get her into some major trouble if she doesn't knock it off. My poor sister has been taking the brunt of it. My back is doing a bit better but is still touchy so I am trying to be careful. While some of you are in a heat wave, autumn will arrive on Thursday as we bump down into the 60's during the day and the 30's at night. I think it's time to take out the garden. I considered tarping just the tomatoes, don't think it's worth the effort. Can't set the greenhouse over the tomato bed either as I'd have no way to get to the back of the greenhouse to harvest the plants. So it was a so so year for the garden. I got a few herbs to plant in small pots for the winter inside - just hope the cats won't take notice of them.

Laura - sure has been hot and humid out your way. Even if it's not so so, I hear the humidity is very high. Glad you got a good Pilates instructor. That means a lot and not everyone who teaches is good at it. I'm interested to hear how you like the barre class and what they do in it. Living vicariously through you ;) How did you make out with that project they threw at you a few weeks ago with the oops we decided to give you less time on the deadline part? As for the bats, DH came in last night from taking down the bird feeder and said he saw at least 3 bats flying around. They are VERY GOOD at nabbing mosquitoes and other flying bugs. Right now we seem to have an influx of flying ants. I was standing on the deck yesterday and noticed the air is filled with flying things though I could not make out what. DH clarified. That's probably what has the bats unusually active too. Not sure if they will be looking for winter roosts either. I think we will get an early winter up this way. So enjoy your warmth while you have it. Great score on the library digital magazines - some excellent titles there. Can you look at them at home on the computer also? I can't imagine reading magazines on an iPhone. Guess that makes me old.

Ceejay - good for you for making a go at the abs challenge! I guess it's pretty hot down by you also - could be what's making you sleepy. Make the best of your 3 days off, it goes fast.

Shad - are you on a local contract where you get to stay in town? It annoys me too with the email situation. Sometimes (well often) think that the people practice a head in the sand / forgot to listen and or care attitude and only worry about a tiny piece of the problem. Do you find it gets harder to get enthused about going back to work? I would. ;)

Rest well Mel :hug: sending you good thoughts. I'll have to send you some pictures too.

Hi Michelle :wave:

Time to go get ready - I am doing the afternoon shift at the store today. Have a good day all.

diyana 09-10-2013 04:11 PM

happy - I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of this. Wish I could offer some suggestions. Just curious....is your DH taking high doses of Niacin (or drinking Monster, 5 Hour Energy or any other energy drinks)? Reason I'm asking is that my doctor once put me on prescription strength Niacin for my blood pressure, and every time I took the pill (which was nightly), I would get a horrible burning, itchy rash on my arms and legs. It literally felt like my arms and legs were on fire, and it was only be high doses of benadryl. I thought it must be a food allergy (to soy). I didn't think a prescription vitamin could cause it. I spent weeks going to an allergist, who eventually had a lightbulb moment and asked if I was on high doses of Niacin. I said yes. He suggested I stop taking it, and it immediately got better. I found out that while rare, it is possible to have a Niacin allergy and get the resultant Niacin "flush" (as in rash). Interestingly, I used to work with a guy who had the same issue. Just thought I'd mention it because it's the first thing I thought of when you mentioned your DH's rash on his legs.

Mel - I hope you feel better soon. Jen/Shad, thanks for keeping us posted.

Ceejay - Enjoy your 3 days off!

Laura - What's the ab challenge? Is it as insane as the squats challenge you did?

Gotta get back to it.

Much love to all,

Laura705 09-10-2013 05:16 PM

Hi Michelle - I'm so glad you had a fabulous b-day!!! Gosh, hadn't thought about the possibility of spinning around while on the zipline - now that sounds scary!! So how long were you actually on there?? Sorry you had the nausea afterwards. Glad you're feeling better today.

The ab challenge is here: http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/cl...abs-challenge/ I don't think it's quite as much as the squat challenge. By Day 30 of this challenge, you do 125 situps, 200 crunches, 65 leg raises and a 120 second plank. As I mentioned to Ceejay - I was thinking of nixing the situps and adding that quantity of reps to the crunches just because I don't care for the situps much. I will definitely be splitting up the reps and doing sets at various times of the day when the reps start getting high!

Happy - You poor thing - so much going on! :( Sorry there's been health issues in your household as of late. What Michelle said re your dh's rash was interesting, and I do recall years ago being in a meeting when a coworker became completely flushed right after he took a dosage of niacin his doc had prescribed for him. He phoned his doc immediately and was instructed to take a baby aspirin. I sure hope the tests for dh and kitty help diagnose what's going on. What an outflow of money you're experiencing right now! We have a microwave oven and a separate toaster oven, so I can't help you with advice re a combo oven. Our toaster oven has a convection feature and that's nice. Our full-size range has one too, but that feature tends to blow a circuit breaker, so we don't use it. We've never gotten around to calling in the electrician to put the range on its own circuit, duh. I hope nothing else breaks down on you right now. As for that PITA project, I just got a nice e-mail yesterday from the boss's boss: "Perfect. Just what I was looking for. Great job and thanks!" Whew, I was glad it was what was needed! Re the digital magazines, yes, you can view them on a desktop computer or a tablet also. Re the weather - we're also getting a cool-down on Thursday, but not quite as extreme as yours. Not ready for that yet, so it's a good thing!! Hope your shift at the shop went well today. :)

===
I wiped out the gain I had last week at the WW weigh-in with a loss today of exactly the same amount. Yay for that! Glad that's gone, and onward and DOWNWARD. Doing a bit of the math, I'm 4.2 pounds away from my 10% target and 8 pounds from what I believe will be my chosen final goal. So close, but yet so difficult!

I think I have a chip on my shoulder about not having reached my 10% yet with WW because in reality, I already reached it if I count back to when I started this journey pre-WW a year ago August. And yes, I've told myself that feeling that way is just plain silly - the 5% and 10% targets and the individual 5 pound losses are just milestones. I know the %'s are significant because studies show losing those amounts really do help your health, but for me, it'll be achieving the final goal that's important, because I'll be at a healthy weight/BMI. It would be really nice to be able to get off the blood pressure meds. I'll see what the doc says when I have my followup next month.

Okay, enough rambling about that. Back to work.

PS - The boss sent an e-mail saying their flight was cancelled due to tropical storm Gabrielle and they are stuck in NY and will try again tomorrow.

annie175 09-11-2013 07:50 AM

Lost my d*mn post. and was almost done. Crap.

ceejay52 09-11-2013 08:31 AM

Michelle
I'm proud of you for doing the zip line. I saw in Branson where they have different levels, beginning to advance so I'm going to try the beginning level next time I go.

Happy
Hope nothing else goes wrong at your house. I know this is frustrating. You never know you may end up with a job!

I'm glad today is my Friday. I'm welcoming my 3 day week. I've decided not to go to Jonesboro this week end. I need to go have the Rav4 serviced but will do that next week end.

Have a good day.

diyana 09-11-2013 11:36 AM

Good morning, ladies!

I really thought I had talked myself out of going to the gym yesterday after work. I had my packed gym bag in the car as I do every day, but the entire way home, I was telling myself how tired and sore I still was from ziplining, and wouldn't it be better if I just waited a day until the water aerobics class. So I'm getting off the freeway, on the way to picking up my dog from day care, and I pulled into the gym parking lot and said...I'll just try and do 10 minutes on the recumbent bike...if it hurts, I'll stop...if not, I'll continue. I ended up doing 35 minutes on the bike at an average speed of 11 mph. I was all sweaty when i went to pick up Santa. After I got home, I did about 30 minutes of power cleaning because my room had become a cluttered mess. I'm really glad I worked out yesterday. It helped loosen up the stiff back and leg muscles, and the endorphins felt great! I'm so looking forward to water aerobics tonight!

Breakfast this morning was a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread with a bowl of fresh fruit, which is a whole lot better for me than either the Egg McMuffin with a Large McCafe Mocha Frappe that was calling me when I dropped Santa at day care. And it's also better than the Pop Tarts from the vending machine.

Laura - Thanks for the info about the challenge! I can't even do one full sit up, unless I have something holding my feet down. And my physical therapist told me that full sit ups use the abdominals only for the first part and then when you're at about halfway up, it's all hip flexors, so she told me planks (standard and side) are the BEST and most complete ab exercise. Congrats on the loss at weigh in!! Good for you for being so close to goal...I've heard it is tougher the closer you get to goal. I can understand the chip on your shoulder...but look at it this way...at least when you reach your 10%, you're only 4 lbs away from goal. When I reach my 10%, I'll still be 60 lbs away from goal (90 lbs if I use WW's goal weights). Most of the ziplines go fairly quickly...anywhere from 10-25 seconds. The first one, where I braked early, I was probably on for a few minutes. I'm impressed you're doing Pilates. Most of the moves really kicked my butt. I can do 100's and planks...but that's it.

Ceejay - If I were you, I'd definitely do the beginner zipline, and if you like it you can progress to a more advanced one. It is definitely something to experience. It sounds like you're taking this 3 day weekend for you. Good for you!

Annie - Sorry you lost your post.

Hi Happy and Shad! :wave: I hope dear Mel is doing better.

Much love and many hugs,