Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #136  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning all,

First off good thoughts for Sam Hope this is not a sign of anything other than a small routine blip. Keep us posted Annie

Nina appears more like herself this morning. That's good. This has been a rollercoaster of emotions. The vet said she went through the same thing with her pet so hang in there. Much nicer to see her peppy than mopey. This is going to be a short post as I have to go into the shop earlier - we have switched to regular hours - I will work 1pm to 4pm. In 30 minutes earlier, close up an hour earlier. That will be nice. I did purchase a sweet citrus tomato marmalade at the Fall Festival and found an almost exact recipe on Food.com so another thing to use up the tomatoes.

Laura - I know what you mean about the missing chicken broth - same thing happens to me - I remember cans in the pantry and then go to use it up and someone snatched it in the middle of the night! Hope your soup comes out yummy - be strong with the temptations that roam in your head. Good of you to remember your motivators. Did you see the movie The Family with DeNiro?

Ceejay - I can understand your desire to retire near friends / family. Don't know why they say you would not be happy in MO unless they don't want you to leave in the first place. MO is not a complete difference from where you are now - say from there to NY for example or from warm TN to cold WI I hear the Ozark area is different because people keep to themselves and are distrustful of strangers. I would say the biggest factor in your consideration should be cost of living - no fun living in a place that's expensive, especially when you have to watch your money in the first place. Then consider the weather - some people even up this way hate the cold (duh then why move here?????) oh because they like the open woods that you can't get in Florida. As for people ... well ... I too wanted to be near family instead of as isolated as we were in Memphis. However 2 of my cousins are jealous and petty so we continue the relationship we have always had which is to not bother with each other. My other cousin is friendly but does not like anyone getting too close so we keep in touch, see each other occasionally but it's not like I hoped it would be. And people here, just like where we came from tend to keep to themselves - old friends are still your friends but new friends are hard to come by and that's just how it is in the world right now. Make a list of the things that are important to you and make sure your retirement place meets most if not all of what's on the list and of course, plan that what you want is not always what you will get and can you still be happy with that? That's my advice.

Shad - good heavens if you have to catch an earlier flight than 3am you might as well just leave when you clock off your job at the end of the day! I guess the norm is that you plan and plan and most of it gets ignored by the responsible parties and you are left in front of the training room holding the pieces. I do not envy you your frustration!

Hope the work tasks are going well for you Michelle.

Love and healing hugs to our Miss Mel Thinking about you all the time, like Shad wishing there was more we could do for you or take on some of your troubles.

Time to get a quick lunch and off I go. Happy Tuesday chicks.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #137  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Super quick check in as I have to find an inexpensive Sharepoint-like document sharing website software system and create an Intranet using said system by Friday!

Happy - I hope the new food helps Nina. Sending lots of love and healing energy her way. One thing about steroids is they do lower your resistance to infection. They're sort of a catch 22 in that way...they help with some things but make you prone to others.

Shad - I'm glad the 3 am isn't going to be a regular thing. That would suck!

Ceejay - No one can tell you whether you'll like living in a certain place. Especially if you're moving to be closer to family. Perhaps they didn't like Missouri because they didn't have family there. I totally understand why you want to live closer to family...I did (and do) too. It's what's keeping me from even considering better paying job offers in other parts of the country. Sure California is hella expensive, but having friends and family here really makes me happy.

Laura - Good for you for sticking with the Ab Challenge. I'm starting it on 10/1...just to make it easier to keep track of what day I'm on...since I have CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t). I hope your weigh in goes well. It does help to keep the motivators in mind. that's why I'm adding a bit of treadmilling...in hopes that I will gradually be able to increase the amount of walking/hiking I can do.

I'm listening to a new audiobook on the way to work...it's called Reversing Diabetes. I haven't decided if I like it or not yet. The author is presenting A LOT of the diseases/complications of diabetes, which is REALLY good, and I'm learning a lot. But so far, he hasn't gone into specifics about HOW to reverse diabetes other than eat right (vague and *duh*), exercise, and pray to God to heal you. I'd say at least 50% of the book is quoting scripture and how God can take away diabetes.

I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer and positive thinking...but I keep listening to this and saying....okay, rather than quote scripture...or at least in addition to quoting scripture...could ya' PLEASE give me SPECIFICS on how/what I should eat and other things I can do?

Anyway...gotta run.

Much love and many hugs to all, and lots of prayers for Mellie, Samantha and Nina.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #138  

Annie - Saying prayers for Sam.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #139  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Oh the power of prayers and good thoughts....Samantha has a slight yeast infection which cause the discharge/spotting. They did do an internal ultrasound (up through the vagina) and the babe is perfect so far. Heartbeat 146 per minute, and looks like an alien at this point...lol. Over the counter meds for the problem and all is good. Amen. Thank you girlies for every good thought and prayers, what would I do without you.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #140  
Creating a Healthier Me

Annie - That's great news that all is well. I'm sure Samantha (and you) are so relieved! Sending you both much love and many hugs.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #141  
Annie - Indiana

Thanks Chelle
Old 09-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Annie
I'm thankful that S and the baby is doing okay. It seems like my sis told me that a high heart rate is usually a girl.

Michelle
I agree that you are a lot happier around family and friends.

Happy
Yes, I'll miss my friends. but they can come visit or vice versa. I'm tired of driving back and forth and plane tickets from Memphis to Springfield is expensive. It will be different for sure living in this area but I already know a lot of people in the church where my bil and sister go.

Need to look up something on line for the boss man. I'm getting rid of paper work that's out of date.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #143  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

Everyone must be busy today.

It's a nice cool but sunny day out there. We have some errands to run then I want to come back and make up my grocery list. I also need to make some dog treats for the shop as I have extra supplies. The trees are starting to turn - pretty reds and yellows and pinks - my favorite colors. Unfortunately we are supposed to get rain on Saturday for the next fall festival. They put out a bunch of seasonal - autumn and Halloween - stuff at the shop yesterday. It looks so cute and festive! I did move one box of new stuff from our jewelry counter to another shelf so we could stage and highlight the recent additions. The lady who handles the brand new stuff is a psychotic whacko who has tussled with most everyone at the shop. I swear if she comes into work and messes up my carefully staged counter I'm the one who will have a fit. She does not like anyone touching "her" stuff and she is taking up more and more of our precious floor space. It wouldn't be so bad if her stuff was selling but it isn't. Rather we highlight things that are but she doesn't see it that way. Let the battle begin

Nina got an antibiotics shot and a fluid drip yesterday and she is perkier than she's been in weeks. She is alert and playful and it does us both so good to see her doing well. She still has digestive issues but they called this morning and the prescription food is in - we'll see how that goes. I pray it won't be too yukky tasting for her and she'll refuse it because that will be the only food she gets. No treats, no other canned or dry food. This will be interesting feeding her and her unrestricted sister.

Annie - glad the prayers helped and S and the new peanut are doing just fine. How is your foot feeling?

Ceejay - it's good that you know some people in MO. Won't it be nice to get away from the neighbors who are always trying to take advantage of you? Is the weather much different in that area?

Michelle - thanks for all the good wishes for Nina Geez woman, sounds like you have your hands full at work. Everything needs to be done ... YESTERDAY There's good and bad to being by yourself - I think I'd still rather be in a smaller place where I could do more even if it gets scary or hectic at the time.

Guess I will catch up with the rest of you lot later. DH is about ready to go and so must I or the bus will leave without me Have a good one.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #144  

Morning all.

Annie - So relieved to hear all is well w/ S. and the baby!!

Michelle - I printed off the Ab challenge chart and mark the challenge days with the dates as I complete them, otherwise I'd never remember which day I was on!! Starting on the first of the month would certainly make it much easier!!I hope your reversing diabetes audiobook is getting more informative. I think I'd find the references to scripture a bit annoying - you probably were interested in the book for it's medical information, not spiritual.

Happy - Glad to hear Nina seems better the past couple days. I think you should start throwing your weight around at the shop and shake things up!!! No, I didn't go to the movies last night and haven't seen the movie The Family. I noticed on imdb that it hasn't gotten great reviews based on the critic's metascore ratings, and just middling ratings on the user reviews. I'll have to ask my movie gf's what they thought - I think that's what they saw last night.

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies!
===
Yesterday's weigh-in showed a 1.6 pound loss, so yay for that. Trying to stay on track this week, but today I have a lunch time meeting in which lunch is provided, so eating may not be as good as the last couple days. I might try to make up for lunch by having a smart ones entree or some soup for dinner.

I didn't do much of anything last night as far as cooking or my trip prep. Bleh. I was so tired yesterday afternoon, and after dinner I faded too, so I ended up going to bed early.

Our benefits open enrollment period is coming up, and there are many changes looming. More "incentives" that require more than just a blood draw. And they're changing our mail order rx company - what a PITA that will be.

Tonight's my Barre class.

The boss is out today so I'm more relaxed. There's been one project the admin and I have been working on for her and one of her issues was annoying to us. It was sort of gratifying for us that a third party involved in this project thought it really was the "big stupid nothing" we thought it was, lol. The quote is just mine, not anything any one of us said aloud, hahaha.

Today is my Thursday, so that's good too.

Okay, back to it.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #145  
Annie - Indiana

Hello Chicklets....

Last night Curtis wanted beans and weinies for dinner. YUCK. So I browned hamburger and onion, drained added a can of baked beans, pepper, brown sugar and cut up weinies. Let them simmer for a bit, slapped them in a bowl and popped open a bag of chips. Have at it. I skipped dinner last night. No thank you, don't like baked beans nor hot dogs. I tell you the things we do for love. haha

LAURA...congrats on the WL. Steady and sure wins the race. We have to jump through hoops here before we can get our health insurance, if we don't do them we have to pay and extra 25 bucks a paycheck for health insurance. Just wait til 2014 health reform. Keep in mind it states in the reform that the prez and govt (senate, house etc) are exempt, they do not have to abide by it. THey are fully covered at no cost to them. Easy for them to dictate health reform to the general public. Anyway....

HAPPY...the people at the shop do not know who they are messing with. Give them the ole one, two. Glad Nina is feeling better, hope it continues. I was thinking she might be dehydrated if she is not eating or drinking much but yet pooing and vomiting.

CHELLE....I firmly believe the the power of prayer and positive thoughts but get on with it. Maybe you are just supposed to go around reciting scripture. That is what Joel Osteen's mom said cured her cancer. I don't know. Whatever works.

CEEG...don't listen to other people. We all make our own happiness. You will be fine in MO.

SHADDIE...breath.

MELLIE...continuing to send good thoughts and prayers, miss you sister.

Hugs all.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #146  
Creating a Healthier Me

Super quick post...

On the drive in today, my audiobook was much more about the medical information than quoting scripture. I definitely believe in the power of prayer and positive thinking....but Laura's right...I picked up this book for the medical information not spiritual information. Although I do understand in the benefits of stress-reduction as stress produces cortisol (a hormone that can result in increased belly fat)...which is why I listened to my favorite meditation CD last night. (Admittedly, I also listened to the CD because I was having trouble falling asleep and was still away at midnight.)

I just feel like sharing something....I am totally, positively, and unabashedly happy! I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the endorphins because I've been exercising nearly every day. LOL My life is not 100% perfect...but it's going so well. I'm on track in most areas of my life and working toward my goals. I feel like my life is my own...and I choose to design and create a great life for myself. At first I thought I was just happy because I'm dating such a great guy....but now I realize...I'm just happy being ME! And after where I was at last year...it is so incredibly WONDERFUL to feel this way!!

Much love and many hugs to all,
Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #147  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Sorry folks, no time and no update re Mel. Last night I came back to the motel and lay on the bed with my book and a cup of coffee. When I woke up the coffee was cold, the book on the floor and it was 11.00pm. I also missed dinner. Luckily I have a few supplies to tide me over. I went back to bed and didn't wake until 4.00 this morning. Two more classes. One today, one tomorrow then go home time. Oh yehaa.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
There are a few more rolling hills in the area where I'm moving in a couple of years. But the weather is about the same. Glad Nina is feeling better. I'm with the rest hold your own at the store.

Annie and Michelle
Thanks for the vote of confidence on my moving in a couple of years.

Annie
Yes, I've heard that all those you mention had free health insurance. Maybe we should all run for senate.

Laura
Congrats on the 1.6 pounds lost. I'm still not doing the ab challenge but I told myself that I'm doing the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt DVD for 6 weeks. I've only done Jillian's and Kim's segment's, which equals to 30 minutes. Bob Harper loves squats and I'm not ready for hhis segment yet.

Shad
You were extremely tired last night.

------------------
Yeah for my last work day for this week. I have been in the mood to discard some files and charts this week at work. Wish I could get rid of some old electronics in the file room.
Some one mention my neighbors that are always bugging me. They haven't bugged me for a ride since I've told them no. so yay on that.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #149  
Creating a Healthier Me

Super quick check in to say I hope you're all doing well. Last night I did 20 minutes on the exercise bike followed by an hour of water aerobics.

Sending prayers and healing energy for our Mellie and for Nina.

Much love,
Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #150  
Choose your hard

It's Thursday ladies - just in case you're like me and can't remember what day it is

Nina is a stinky gas bomb right now which is to be expected because we are switching her food over to the new prescription stuff (which she doesn't like BIG SURPRISE). I told her what Mom told me - when you get hungry enough, you'll eat it although I do feel a bit sorry for her. I'm just glad I can open the windows and air the place out. Her sister won't come anywhere near her. I talked to Mom for a while last night. She is really living in her own little world more and more. She is all up in arms as she insisted on having a bone density test (she had the last one 3 years ago) and now she's smug because the doctor wants to discuss the results with her. She said "MY DAUGHTERS both told me I didn't need one and now the doctor wants to talk to me SO THERE. Sis and I are like I said well Mom what do you think he is going to say - that a miracle has happened and you have the bone mass of a neandrathal cave man now???? Of course he's going to say your bones are weaker - you are 86 soon to be 87 next month. Now you will just fret about your bones being weaker. I asked her if she spoke to the doctor about her hip hurting her. She was complaining about that for months and that's what precipitated the burning need to have another bone density test. She said no she didn't because it only started bothering her 2 days before she saw the doctor and she didn't see any need to mention it. When I said she's been complaining about the pain since she was here visiting in June she said I was confused and that she was talking about her knees instead I also talked with my sister yesterday and we both decided there really is no point to us getting all wound up over something we can't do anything about. So we'll just monitor her to make sure she doesn't become a danger to herself.

My sister recommended a book she just finished reading called Coming Clean. It's a memoir about a girl whose father was a compulsive hoarder. I was able to borrow the book for free on my Kindle using my Prime Membership so I started reading it last night. It's an interesting book - but wow does it make you want to just dig in and clean up your own clutter I also realized that reading via the Kindle I don't have the typical squinting I've been having trying to read a paper book with my glasses.

Ceejay - good luck with the file clean up at work. You get more accomplished when you're in the mood to toss things. Have a nice long weekend - any special plans?

Shad - sounds like you were tuckered out a good one there. Hope you got some much needed rest and woke up ready to take on the world one more day!

Michelle - glad to hear that you are in a good place in your life. Just a pity that sometimes we have to go through some dark places to get to the sunshine and rainbows but I guess it also makes us appreciate the good times even more.

Annie - I know a lot of people are up in arms about Obamacare and I was HOPING against hope that it was going to save us some money but I think DH's former employer has found yet another way to screw the retirees. Doesn't look like we will be able to qualify for subsidized health care but I will know more when the open enrollment materials come in a couple of weeks. However I totally agree with everyone who is complaining that Congress enacted a bill that they themselves are exempted from. The perks and benefits that the lawmakers get are totally out of line with with the rest of us have to live with. And that's just wrong, wrong, wrong but I don't see how that's ever going to change even if we the voting public swore to vote the incumbants out unless they changed things. That was nice of you to make C what he wanted for dinner. Sometimes it's like that - use it as an opportunity to have what you might like and he doesn't for your selection.

Laura - thanks for the comments on the movie. The other one I am interested in is Gravity with Sandra Bullock and that man hoe George Clooney I'd even be willing to travel to Duluth to see that at an Imax theater. Congrats on the weight loss this week - good idea to substitute a lower calorie dinner to balance out the at work lunch you can't control. As for the mail order prescription plan - we had Medco for about 25 years since DH's company first introduced and then forced us to mail order and I have to say were were very happy with the pricing, information and customer service we had with them. I guess Medco got bought out by someone else who raised the prices and now we use Caremark. I only get one prescription by mail order so I don't have too much to say but DH has been totally frustrated with them. He said the have frequently sent him auto renewals of prescription he did not sign up for (as they were checking out various dosages and types of meds to stabilize his condition). We were stuck paying for stuff they sent us more than once and sometimes he didn't get the new prescription he sent in because they refused it saying it was a conflict of an existing prescription. I used to dread when he'd go to the doctor because he'd get all cranky when they'd refuse to fill a prescription for him and he'd be yelling on the phone as they don't have very good customer service either - probably based in some hut in a 3rd world country like that phone commercial where the guy in Siberia answers the phone "this is Peggy, how can I not help you redeem your rewards points". The most we got out of them was someone who was honest enough to say that like health insurance, the drug plans also have gold, silver, bronze and dirt plans - depending on how much your employer wants to underwrite, that depends on the level of service you get with the drug plan. So 2 people could use Caremark and have totally different experiences with it. This is the new normal.

I did stop at Walmart yesterday - the shopping isn't so bad but geez o Louise the checkout is just freaking insane. Not sure who's worse - the shoppers or the check out people. Most of them are really really slow - and DH was sitting in the car waiting for me so I was trying to hurry. I got into a line where I know the checker is really good and fast and wouldn't you know it, just before it was my turn to check out another person came to relieve her. I was in the checkout line for 40 minutes. However I did get some stuff so I could bake up / cook up the recipes to use up this abundance of tomatoes I have that are rapidly ripening. I still have some fresh produce to pick up which I prefer to get at the regular grocery store so I'll stop in town and see if my buddy rearranged my nice display at the thrift store just because I don't have enough drama in my life I will say hi to my buddy who is working this morning so at least I'll enjoy my visit.

Have a good Thursday everyone.