Steel Magnolias #48

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Titilating Hot Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

This is a beautiful day in the low 80ºs and just a slight breeze. It would be so nice if it would stay in these temps through the summer months, but alas it will get in the 100º quickly and we won’t have any spring to speak of again this year. The few plants we put out are doing fine right now for we are giving them as much protection we can.

Will is at the museum today. His presentation for the “fallen police” appreciation ceremony last evening was received with much appreciation. All the flags across this state were flown at half mast for the fallen yesterday. Those that were there when their comrades fell were there last evening to tell the tale. The other officers can learn from any mistakes that might have been made during those episodes. They were interested on hearing what I used to do before I retired and what Will had done when he worked for the Sherriff dept. out in CA. Each person there was given a bag full of candy, chips and sodas. I called the Cop food baggies without donuts. “Cops and donuts” got its start in years past when the only place open during the night were the donut backing places where cops would gather to discuss business. Nowdays there are many places they can go in and have coffee and eat “real” food or have a donut if they wish.

My fan continues to keep this lap top cool but I don’t leave it turned on all day anymore. I did what I needed to do on it this morning then turned it off so it got a rest and really cooled down. The fan sure helps it though.

Tonight I am backing some boneless pork strips that I will roll in beaten egg then in Lemon Pepper Panko and spray with olive oil. I will serve green beans spritzed with I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter and sprinkled with a few real bacon bits. I will also serve the ever lovely green salad. I love that salad dressing dispenser I got at a WW meeting which dispenses the exact right amount onto a salad. I plan on getting another to keep a different kind of dressing in for I like a variety. I still use the dipping of my fork in the dressing while in a restaurant and never use all of the dressing served.

JEAN So now you have happy toes to peek out from your sandals. I like to see ladies with nice painted toenails and rings on their toes. I have a lovely toe ring and will have to locate it in my box. I have yet to paint my toenails this year and don't often paint my had nails. I am thinking of doing them French tipped this afternoon. I have all the "proper" stuff with which to do that. It is just finidng the time I want to spend to do it.

Hope all are having a lovely day.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! We started the day with sunshine but the clouds have rolled in and it's really dark in the west. We are supposed to get some thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow. Of course my basement has just dried up, par for the course. It was hard to get up and get going this morning knowing that I had to go to "work;" for some reason it takes me longer to get ready than it used to. The church office was pretty quiet and Fridays are really quiet. Crafty club, this afternoon, was ok although there was only 7 of us there. I don't often see these gals but once a month so it's fun to catch up.

Maggie -- Your new charm sounds neat being able to hold your three favorite sayings. Did you find out anything about the awol buffalo? Thanks for sharing your meatball recipe. I wish I had time to make them tonight. While it was hot at the soccer games, the humidity was low so it didn't seem quite so hot. The wind wasn't as strong as they predicted it would be so having a breeze helped too. The kids had water breaks more often so they didn't seem to mind the heat.

Susan -- I would love to see Casper in his stroller! We planted geraniums in pots as well as some tube roses, marigolds, and impatiens. A hummingbird showed up yesterday and the orioles like his red liquid more than their orange, for some reason. I'm surprised they can get any because the perches are so small and close to the feeder.

I need to think about something quick for supper since we have a meeting at church tonight. Enjoy your evening!

• Good morning to you all. It is raining all day and night supposedly but warm not cold here. I guess we have finally fallen into a nice spring/summer beginning to weather.

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but my back was so bad it was excruciating to stand up and especially to sit in the computer chair for some reason. I tried to walk around as much as possible, etc to try and keep stretching it out, but when I would go from sitting to standing it would "catch" and the pain was awful. I would force myself to stand up all the way even though it hurt like the dickens and took my breath away. It is not completely gone, but so much better than yesterday. I got stuck on the toilet for about 5 minutes yesterday because the toilet sits low and trying to get up hurt so much. I finally took a good hold on the sink cabinet and just stood straight up. It made me lightheaded it hurt so much. I figure this weekend I can get around and loosen it completely back up. Part of it is losing weight believe it or not. on my legs they get hollow and have a fat pad above them so they will make my lower thighs ache and I figure the back is probably sort of the same thing, I have lost fat in areas and the fat still above it puts pressure on the muscle below.

I did something unusual and weighed myself this morning even though I just did it a few days ago. I am down another 2 lbs. I have 7 to get into the 30's, which is what I told Jack a year ago I would be satisfied with if I couldn't get anymore off. If I can get into the 20's before the cruise, my jeans will fit me and some of the other nice summer clothing I have. I think for one thing, I have conquered the hormone pills and the hunger they cause and also worked and adjusted my body so I am not having cravings and stuff like that. I am not sure how I did it, I just know the way I am eating now works so I plan to keep it up. I always have a banana each morning for the potassium. I know other things have great potassium too, but bananas are easy and portable. They have a lot of sugar for a fruit, but I eat so little sugar it doesn't seem to make a big difference.

I have my list going for the trip to Indiana. I looked at it and Fortune's part is pretty long for a darn dog. I am really looking forward to the short trip. I get to babysitting the munchkin all day on Friday, have breakfast with my sister, who is not doing so well with her feet I am afraid, and have lunch with my very best friend. Yesterday was her birthday and I called her and we talked for 2 1/2 hours!!! Then Saturday is Jackson's bday party so that should be fun. I will get to see a lot of their friends we usually don't see when we are up there. We then come home and start gearing up for the cruise. Well, I start gearing up, Jack is already in 6th gear I think.

Maggie: Yes, way back when, donut shops were open 24-7 and the one place they could go and get coffee and something to eat, donuts having high sugar giving them a bit of a boost on the overnights. Donuts unlike other things before the advent of millions of takeout places and fast food places, were portable and they could eat them in their cars too. They may be made fun of for the donut thing, but they still can be found crowded into the parking lot of a donut shop here for sure. Jack has one of those fans and uses it constantly for his laptop to keep it cool. Thanks for the meatball recipe. I actually have a bagful already made that I take some out and use for our spaghetti night.

Jean: I don't get pedicures for the most part because the chairs kill my bad knee when I have to stretch it out and hold it up for her to work on my heel. I hate the darn rolling thingy in the back seat to make you feel better too. They always turn it on and I can't find the switch to turn it off and it makes my back hurt instead of feel better, but like I said, having my knee hang out in open space really locks it up and such so I just go usually like when we go on vacation or whatever and even then usually opt for just having them painted not the whole thing. Do you just take a book or something to read while you are at the church office?

Susan: Are your flowers in the front or back of your condo? We aren't allowed to plant anything except if it is hidden behind our back gate. Stupid, I know, but then people plant stuff and don't take care of it and move, etc, etc. Though the lazy lawn people barely mow let alone do anything else anymore. I bet Casper thinks he is cat about town having his own limo to ride around in.

Well girls, it is getting late in the morning and I need to get moving. Have a great weekend. Faye
  • Finally Friendy Warm Friday

It is another day in the high 70ºF and low 80ºF which is the beginning of summer for sure. I don’t have many plans of what I am going to be doing this day of yet. I have gotten all the house work done that I plan on doing and now I can do other “stuff.” I am going to sort though all my coupons and discard any that have expired. I have quite a few from WW that are really good savings on their products. I attach them to the shopping list I give Will when he plans on going to the store. I have some coupons for those Green Giant single serving broccoli packets which are great. He doesn’t like broccoli so they are good for just one serving for me. We use coupons more now that the prices of products have been steadily going up of late. It just turned noon of the clock and I need to go to the kitchen and figure out what we will be having for lunch now.

Back now after lunch then going to the store for some needed items and having an Artic Rush at DQ for 3 p+ while Will had his cone. We stopped by a building supply place and picked up a bird feeder that we installed on the clothesline pole up out of reach from our animals and out from the house so the birds can get a snack. So far besides the little birds we have seen a Robin red breast and a Blue Jay that have been hanging around in our back yard trees and such so we decided to provide some food for them and make sure the bird bath keeps fresh water in it. They can grab a drink in it when Cecil isn’t around for he things it is his drinking fountain.

DONNA FAYE OUCH ~ Sorry to hear you back is giving you fits. When a back hurts a person hurts all over. Been there, done that. Yes, as we lose weight our innards shift which is one reason my doc advised me to lose it slowly to give myself a chance to adjust as comfortably as possible. i also like making lists for they are a good way to not forget to take anyting while planning a trip for sure. When we had our motor home and went on short trips I made my grocerie list then made sure I had the proper way to prepare what I had bought. I'll do the same when we get our next MH. Take care and don't over-do when you do get to feeling better.

JEAN Is your WW group participating with the daily walk in order to get that walking charm? I think we will be turning our cards in next Monday so the leader can send them in on time for the "vacation" drawing for then the next Monday is a holiday and there won't be a meeting. (We only have the one time here to meet.) I feel much better now that I have been doing my walking program. No, the buffalo is still AWOL. The bull still has 4 ladies though. The owner of that land has others elsewhere I understand, so he may have moved her in with them.

• Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, NO wind, and it's a beautiful morning in my corner of the world! I can tell the humidity is on the rise so guess our summer weather had arrived. It's supposed to hit 85 today so will set the air to come on later. Ernie is sitting in the open window beside me and Sonny is guarding the deck through the back screen door. I've decided that "working" is for the birds! I don't get anything done at home after being gone in the morning. I met a friend for pie and coffee yesterday afternoon and we talked for over two hours. We try to get together once a month for sure, as well as being together in our lunch bunch. She is the caregiver for her husband who has bladder cancer and dementia; she talks and I listen. Her two sons, who don't live here, are about the same ages as Beth and Jason so they know each other from school. I fell asleep in front of the tv last night, got up and went to bed, then slept all night.

"Gma" -- I hope your back is feeling better today, and you are able to move without the severe pain. Another 2#s are gone forever! I don't like the pedicure massager chairs either. The gals will ask and I just say, "no thanks." It's too bad they can't figure out a way to hold your foot so your knee won't hurt. I love the massage part but my feet are ticklish and I have trouble holding still. I can keep busy when I babysit the church office. I type up vouchers for the treasurer to pay bills, can run the bulletin copies on the "grumpy" machine, take phone messages, and sometimes answer questions when people call. We have people come in to pay their "dues" so I can process their checks for counting on Monday. Actually, I know enough to be dangerous. I do take magazines or a book to read. Right now I'm reading The Drop by Michael Connelly. I do like him and think of you whenever I find a book I haven't read.

Maggie -- I am famous for cutting out coupons and letting them expire. It's frustrating that they are only good for a short period of time where they used to be good for six months or a year. Our DQ has done some remodeling and so far, is very clean with very well mannered and well groomed employees. During the day it has white employees while at night they are all Mexicans. I've been out of school long enough that they don't recognize me, which is good. Yes, the local WW groups are doing the daily walk challenge. I didn't sign up because my heart isn't in it right now. Our weather has been so awful, but I'm hoping it has settled down and I can get back to walking. Bob wants to start walking again, so that will help me.

Susan -- What is on your agenda today besides WW?

I have laundry going and need to take another pile downstairs. The flannel sheets are being put away and I'm washing all the bedding. Have a super nice Saturday and enjoy!
  • Good morning gals. I hope your Sunday is going well. It is going to be sunny and hot here today. We had to go out for a bit yesterday and it was horribly humid. We are going to have bug issues this year too. Memphis has real problems with roaches. I chase the little buggers down and drown them in raid! I let Fortune out in the middle of the night and turn on our outside lighting and you see dozens scurry all over the deck. Disgusting, but all I can do is spray. I have to be careful because of Fortune.

My back is finally feeling better, still a smidge sore, but not like it was on Wednesday, the worst day. I still don't know what caused it, but it did make other problems for some reason. The muscle cramping I have when I walk, the muscles in my groin areas, acted up on Thursday maybe because I was compensating or something. At least no pain when I try and I try and stand up and straighten up, just a little soreness.

Thomas and Tom did a mini Triathlon. Thomas was 3rd in his age group for the swim and second on his bike. I don't know how he did on his run, but Kelly said they acheived their goals. She posted a picture of the two of them after the race and Thomas looked whipped he was leaning towards his dad.

Maggie: We have a large park here in Memphis and have a whole herd of buffalo including cute baby ones. The park does a lot of research and such with things like planting and animal stuff. I don't know what they are doing with the buffalo, but they have been there for years.

Jean: I applaud you for trying to get work done that is needed in the office. Many people wouldn't touch it even if they knew how. Aww, I know your friend appreciates the shoulder to spill everything on. Nothing is worse than being a heavy caregiver and have no way to release sadness, frustration, anger, exhaustion, etc. You are a good friend. So what kind of pie did you have??? I was dying for pie so yesterday when we went to the grocery store I bought one of those little single serving boxes. It has two small sizes and I got the lemon merinque. It was more like lemon ice box, but it was yummy. I didn't eat the crust just the filling.

Well Jack just came downstairs so it is time for breakfast. Take care everyone. Faye
  • Good morning, ladies! It's already in the 70s this day but thunderstorms...and it rained yesterday and is in the forecast for all next week.

I have an appointment with my trainer at 5 pm today. We are going to work on things I can do at home today.

My computer is acting up again. I should have just gotten a new one when it did before. It's going to have to keep going until fall for taxes, flood insurance and house insurance are all due between June and September.

Faye, my bug problem is ants...the tiny ones you can hardly see. I found a recipe on the internet that uses sugar, borax and water and it works great. They eat it and take it back to the nest and soon they are gone. Thomas is certainly a well-round young man.

Jean, you are such a good person with your volunteer work and listening to the caregiver. I know how hard that job was for me.

Maggie, since I cut out processed foods there aren't many coupons I find useful but I have always used them. I have them in a coupon organizer and I glued a pad for my shopping list inside the flap so they are always together. On the first of the month I go through them and pull the ones expiring that month.

Have a great day!
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a drizzly day in my neighborhood today. I guess it started during the night since the street was wet when I got up this morning. We've been to church; Bob just sang at first service because several of the group couldn't be there. Now it's almost time to dream up something for lunch; I was thinking something grilled would be easy. Nothing else planned except for sorting through Bob's winter/summer clothes and making the switch. I still have my summer t-shirts and capris "out" from our Florida jaunt in January.

"Gma" -- Roaches are gross for sure! I'm sure they are in Iowa too, but we've never had them. I admire Tom and Thomas for even trying a triathlon, let alone being able to finish. Good for them! This restaurant makes their own pies; I chose a chocolate mint creation this time. The crust was chocolate cookie crumbs, a layer of chocolate pudding, a layer of mint pudding, then a layer of whipped cream with chocolate curls on top. Needless to say, that was also my supper that night. I can't think of the brand, but WM and the grocery stores here carry little individual pieces of pie in the freezer section. I buy the key lime but there is also chocolate. The same brand has whole pies but I've never bought one of those.

Susan -- We have had ants in the house in the spring. They usually come in the back door for some reason. I use Toro (?) ant poison; just put a drop on a piece of cardboard or waxed paper, they eat then head back to their nest. I put one of Bob's baseball caps over it so the cats won't stick their paws in it. I will have to look for your recipe. I don't know about the homes along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, but we can't buy flood insurance in this part of the state. Bob's repaired lots of flooded basements during his career. Have "fun" with your trainer this afternoon!

I'm off to check on a lunch menu with the man of the house. Enjoy your day today!
  • Sunny Beautiful Sunday

Yesterday afternoon we went to two different graduation parties and all I had to eat was some watermelon cubes. I planned to not have anything but when they had fresh cut up fruit I did have some and left the cake and other goodies alone. We grilled burgers for dinner so I did have the points to enjoy dinner. We had to make a trip downstairs for we were under a tornado watch for one was headed our way but as it was it did it damage a few miles down the road ~ ate up a line of power poles and took off the roof from a storage building where a small restaurant had frozen stuff out there. Since he lost electricity he was loaned some generators from some nice folks so his food wouldn’t spoil. Good neighbors are so valuable in situations like that. That happened in the area where we traveled to for Will to preach today. That is the closest we have had one come since we have lived here. For lunch we had pot-luck and I filled my plate with salad sans dressing and one meat ball and 2Tbs of lasagna and didn’t have any dessert even though that homemade lemon meringue pie called my name. That, my friends, is my very most favorite pie and I turned my back on it. That was not easy. I give myself a pat on the back. I would have had a small bite if that were the kind Will got but he chose coconut cream meringue not knowing the other pie next to it was lemon meringue for no pieces were missing from it yet ~ so I didn’t even get a taste ~ not one little taste. Not one.

We are going to have a re-run of burgers this evening for we have the items with which to make them ~ just have to grill the meat and that will use up the last of the buns in the package. Not much happening around here this afternoon.

DONNA FAYE That is neat that you have a herd of buffalo there in Memphis. Do you ever go and park and watch the buffalo? We try to visit this little herd every day. I am so glad that there are still some that folks can see and watch. How neat for Thomas and Tom to do the triathlon together.

SUSAN Sounds like you have a nifty way of saving coupons. I understand why you don't use many for you have to be so watchful of ingredients that go into a food item. Are you using a lap top? That is all I have used for years. Keeping mine sitting on this fan box thingie has sure kept it cool and proglonging its life for I have not had any problems since I started using it. I think I will continue to use it when I do get a new computer.

JEAN Do start walking with Bob for it will help you. I am still doing my laps around inside here adding minutes as I progress. This is what I worte that my activity goal is: "Steady as she goes ~ walking ~ adding minutes each day till I reach an hour walk." I go at my own pace. I really don't like to exercise but I need to exercise so am just "doing it." Plus I want that walking charm for my bracelet and since I can't buy it ~ so I need to earn it. See the psychology in that? That walking charm is a carrot that WW has dangled in front of me. I will keep up my walking program for it is good for me. Different things work for different folks and that charm got my attention and I am willing to better myself to earn it.

• Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm just hanging around waiting to see what the weather is going to do. We are supposed to get some thunderstorms late afternoon/early evening. I was hoping it would happen before we leave for the soccer game. I worked in the church office this morning. There wasn't much money to count so that went by quickly. I sorted and pitched catalogs that seem to come in multiples and then started shredding the 2011 giving envelopes. I just tear the names off the envelopes and then shred the check copy papers. My fingers are a little stiff and sore!

Maggie -- You did "good" staying away from the no-no foods at the graduation parties. I admire your will power! You will earn that charm and enjoy wearing it knowing all the effort you put into earning it!

I need to change clothes and get ready to leave. Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Good afternoon ladies. Sun is out now but we had a bad thunderstorm last night and it continued to rain until 2pm.

Maggie, I have a desktop and that's what I'll be getting. My Kindle Fire HD 8.9" works fine for away from home. Good for you on making choices that support your weight loss goals. Sometimes one bite leads to another...

Jean, you sure stay busy with your volunteer work. I hope the rain holds off until you get home from the soccer game.

Have a great evening.
  • Marvelous Monday ~ Weigh Day

It is a lovely day in the 70º so far this day and I am so thankful that tornado didn’t touch down here yesterday. We live in what they call “tornado alley” and so far we have not been hit here ~ but very near here. We do see the “storm chaser” vehicles around here when the sky looks threatening. Right now I am munching on a BelVita® nutritious sustained energy, all morning Blueberry bar and sipping my morning coffee. I don’t like to eat anything “heavy” before my weigh in which is this evening. I expect to be at least a pound down so we shall see. For dinner after WW we are grilling and will have some delicious looking fruit. In the fridge cooling as I type are a seedless watermelon, a tray of beautiful black berries and one of strawberries. This afternoon I will open the watermelon and make cubes out of it which makes it easier to eat. One of the ladies in the church we went to yesterday said she will give me a bag of freshly cut asparagus when we go there next month. She wanted to make sure we liked it before she brought it which makes good sense because that is one of the things you ether like or absolutely don’t like. I remember as a child going out with my father to the ditches and cutting wild asparagus that grew there. My mom would steam it and sprinkle it with freshly grated parmesan cheese and it was soooo good and still is. I spritz it with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter® so the cheese sticks to the spears nicely. I like it fresh in salads also. That lady is quite a trouper. They own fast pieces of grazing land and run cattle on it and she rides fences every other day checking to see if the animals have enough water and if the water is getting low she activates the pumps and brings some up for them. They drink lots of water ~ vast amounts ~ one cow will drink 5 gallons a day or more. I guess the “or more” will depend on how hot it is that day and it has been hot. If the water table gets too low they may have to sell off part of their herd.

I’ll be back later this day to finish this post after I have gone to WW and have found out if I did lose or if I need to have a crying fit.

No crying fit here! YIPEKIO I showed a loss of 2.8 which brings me to 91.6 gone from this body of mine. No meeting next Monday due to Memorial Day so I need to watch it close for two weeks this time instead of just one week at a time. But I will do it one day at a time anyway so nothing really will change. It will be the Monday after next we will get our walking charm for those participating in the program.

SUSAN You are so right that one bite can lead to another. However, if I tell Will I only one bite that is all I get. Works good that way for me. I haven't had a desk top computer for so long I really don't think I need one for these small ones have great amount of storage these days.

JEAN I am stubborn so I call will power my Won't Power. When I decide I won't do something then I usually follow through. Trouble is I don't use that WP enough. I hope that weather held off so you could enjoy the game. Not fun getting soaked during a game is it. I have decided where on my bracelet that charm will go. I'll get it next time WW meets here.

• Good morning to you all! Cripes I did it again. I have to quit coming in here and reading posts and getting called away and then think I posted when I didn't.

We got a big thunder and lightening storm early this morning about 3 AM and some rain, but nothing spectacular. I think of those poor folks in the OKC area and the parents of those children killed in their school. Kelly has a friend I checked in on, but she said she doesn't live that close to OKC.

My sandals should ship in the next day or so. I ordered yellow ones from this online place that is mostly for mothers with little kids called Totsy. I got the sandals for $6!!!! They have these sales that are fairly quick and you can save a ton of money. They sent me another email and I went and found a green pair and a cute brown pair that has buttons and things on it and paid $12 a pair and they are regular $36 a pair. I would like to find a purple pair and I think Target has a pair, but I can't remember. I should be getting my new sunglasses in a few days too. The other pair I got free and they don't fit properly and the lenses aren't correct either so out they go.

I have a bit of an earache this AM and don't know why. Maybe I slept on it wrong or something. I know my back is about 98% better and I was able to clean the whole downstairs yesterday, which made me feel 100% better.

We are having baked steak and mashed potatoes and I haven't decided on the veg yet. It is super easy, I just pound my sirloin, cut it into portions (I buy 1 lb packages so it works well) then stick it in the crockpot with ff beef broth mixed with some packaged gravy mix. Tomorrow night is chicken and noodles because Jack has a dr appt right after work. He needs new referrals for his cardiologist and his new dr wants to see him first before he issues a referral. Jack needs to go anyway so perfect timing. Me, I got next week. I finished up my hormone meds and have a whole week to see how it reacts. Since this time I had basically what a younger woman would call a "light period," and it was continuous the whole three months, I don't know what she will say about it. I then have to run my pooch to the groomers at 1 PM then out to get Jack around 2:15.

Maggie: Congrats on avoiding the yummies at the graduation parties. I am not much of a cake eater so that wouldn't be hard for me, but I'd have more trouble with the chips, pretzels and that sort of thing I think. I take my asparagus and sprinkle olive oil spray and just the plain powdered parmesaan on it and bake it in the oven and it is yummy that way the the only way I can get Jack to eat it. I told him he will eat snails but not vegetables. What sense does that make? He may not get any this cruise as the growers have a small crop so the ships aren't serving them again.

Susan: We have a dell desktop and I like it just fine. My kindle is strictly books, but I know Kelly likes her Kindle fire. She also has an Ipad though. Hope your weather clears up and sunny skies for you!

Jean: Hope you made the soccer games. Kelly and family are headed to Indiana next weekend for the Sunburst marathon in South Bend. Tom and Jay will run the half marathon and Thomas is going to do the 5k. Bless them that sounds like pure torture to me. I could run now with my knee if I was skinny. I would someday like to maybe get a bicycle and ride again. I used to really love it. Sounds like you found plenty to do at the church. Sounds like the pies were really good. The slice brand I buy is Edwards. If I make a whole pie, I will eat a whole pie, so when I want a treat I buy those little slices.

Well girls, I need to get going with my day. Hope you have a nice Tuesday all. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! Our weather is "iffy" again this morning and looks like it could rain any minute. We made it through the soccer game just putting up with "cool and wind" but no rain. I'm hoping the rain holds off for the baseball game tonight as it is an early one; the Thursday game is 2 hours later which makes it after midnight for getting home.

Susan -- I have a desktop computer that I much prefer to use for typing rather than on the laptop. I got the laptop when I started the treasurer's job for the gift shop just to be able to keep that paperwork separate and not have the chance of it being dumped or virused. I like my iPad except that I can type and correct much quicker on the PC. I am "good" if I never take the first bite on lots of favorite foods . . . . sometimes .

Maggie -- on losing another 2.8#s! You are on a roll! A friend gave me some fresh asparagus so I plan to fix it for lunch. I'm not too fond of it so may give some to my neighbor. I'm glad the bad storms missed you. The devastation in OK is tragic!

"Gma" -- You will have a large selection of sandals! When I first started teaching, in heels, I had all different colors to go with outfits that I wore to school. The little kids love jewelry and shoes for some reason. To me, running of any kind would be torture! Kuddos to Tom and Thomas! Glad your back is feeling better.

I need to make a grocery list and head for the store. Enjoy your day and be thankful for your many blessings.
  • Titilating Pleasant Tuesday

Tornados are definitely killers and destruction agents. I will have those folks in my prayers that did survive to get their lives back in order. It is good to see all the folks that have turned up to help in that area of OK. I have never been in one but have had to find shelter in a few “could be” situations. It is hard to imagine the devastation they make even while looking at the disaster pictures. Years back when we lived in SD we were having a vacation bible school and there was a group from OK that came and helped out. While they were there a tornado hit where they lived in OK and some didn’t have a home to go back to. Before they returned to OK they were directed to go to relatives homes that didn’t get whacked in the storm. The teen’s folks were able to get that message to us. The parents were so thankful that their kids weren’t home in OK when the storm hit and were safe in SD. The two gals we had stay with us in our spare room were delightful guests. Our house was big enough to get them all together for a meal and some games until we could arrange where they would be going. Other families housed some for the night and then would send them over to our house in the day so we could have them all together and feed them. Believe me I had all the help in making the meals that I needed. Those girls were great in pitching in and doing anything needed. Fortunate for those kids that they had several changes of clothes with them. We got everything all washed up before they left. Everything they had with them all of a sudden became more important to them when they realized there was nothing of theirs left at home.

We purchased several veggie plants and are planting them today. We got all the colors of bell peppers that they had and some other veggies that are easily preserved or saved like acorn squash. If we pack the squash in straw and put it outside in the shed it stays pretty good. We moved the strawberry patch to a different part of the yard which may work better. I also picked up some herbs that I am going to grow in my kitchen window under grow lights in small 5” pots. I now have flat leaf and curly leaf parsley, chives, Tuscan blue rosemary, sage, & thyme. 6 pots lined up on a wooden ledge beneath my window over my kitchen sink sitting under 3 grow lights that are on a track hanging the proper distance above them which I turn on for awhile each day. I did this before and loved having fresh herbs in my kitchen ready to snip and use. One day I may find the perfect long pot to grow them all in and put the ones that don’t require as much water at one end.

JEAN Hopefully the weather co-operaes with your ball game plans and you stay dry. Thank for the confdence in my weight loss journey.
    Hope all are having a lovely day. I don't have any trouble typing on my lap top for the keys are regular size I guess.

DONNA FAYE Looks you are going to be sandle rich with so many colors. There are just enough foods for me to eat without adding snails to the menu. No thanks. Slimey little things that eat geranium plants.

Have a great evening Magnolias ~