Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 06:39 AM   #1  

Hi,
Even though I am not pregnant...we are thinking about it. I was wondering how active you were/are while being pregnant? And maybe what activites you love and or hate.

I want to get my fittness level really high before conceiving...in hopes that I will benefit (and maintain)during and after the birth.

A friend of mine told me that she ran 45 minutes in the morning and did 30 minutes stair master prior to her water breaking the same day. Now I think that is a little extreme for me (but not for her).

Even though I know that every pregnancy is different, I just want to have an idea of what to expect. I am concerned that I could be too lazy or too obsessive about being active.

Is there a good book/video that you would reccomend in regards to exercise...to assist with the labour specifically. (To help witht he actual delivery and to bounce back in to shape/health and to heal quicker?)

Just nervous about the whole pre-conveiving thing I suppose...I just have soo many questions!

Thanks,
Y
Old 03-06-2001, 12:53 PM   #2  

Hi, Yvonne! I'm due in a little over a week, so I thought I might be able to help you a little.

I was working out before I got pg--walking on the treadmill five days a week for an hour, about 4 mph. I've continued my walking during my pregnancy, although I've been gradually slowing down. I'm currently walking about 2.5 mph, but still walking for an hour 5 days a week.

I think the biggest factor is how fit you are to begin with; I've always heard that you can continue as long as you listen to your body and don't overdo it. And, of course, check with your dr.

Good luck!! Let me know if you have any questions--I'll do my best to answer.

Jeanne
due 3/15
Old 03-10-2001, 10:49 AM   #3  

Hi Yvonne! Congrats on your decision to try to conceive! I am currently pregnant for the third time. I have been going to WW for a year and a half and lost about 60 lbs. I still have about 40 more to go...will get back to that after baby is born!

I was exercising 4-5 times a week before I became pregnant, and my doctor said I could continue at that level as long as it felt good, and my pulse didn't get too high. I have slowed down some -- 3-4 times a week, and I don't do the high-impact aerobics anymore. I do low impact aerobics, walking, or swimming. I think the best advice is to just keep doing SOMEthing, and to listen to your body.

The reality is that pregnancy will have an impact on your body, but the end is result is SO worth it, that who cares? Plus you will have your whole life-time to get back into shape!

Blessings,
Sara
Old 03-10-2001, 01:01 PM   #4  

Thank you so much for you posts...I appreciate them.

I guess I am also really concerned about my feet, I have cronic plantar fasciitice and things can be difficlut right no...sometimes grocery shopping is not an option! So that is another reason why I do not want to gain too much weight. I am actually really scared about that (currently I don't think the pain could get much worse!)!

But, I will cross those bridges if I get there!!

Thanks again and have a great day!

Congrats to both of you!! And Jean...any baby yet?!?

Yvonne
Old 03-11-2001, 12:38 PM   #5  

I just found out last week I am pregnant. My activity level has been pretty high for the last 3 yrs. I usually exercise 6x a week, lots of different things, ellicpital, stair stepper, treadmill, cardio tape, and some lifting. I did talk to my doctor when I found out I was pregnant as I was a little concerned based on my past pregnancy problems. She told me to keep working out, listen very closely to my body, and don't push myself. I've modified some movements already. I did purchase a book before I conceived. Its called 'Expecting Fitness" by Birgitta Gallo. Lots and lots of information on exercise and modifications. There are even exercises in the book for women on bed rest. So this might be something you'll want to look into it. If you begin to have problems with you foot this book could be helpful, keep in mind something such as water aerobics are less stressful for your body.

Good luck.

Ann
Old 03-11-2001, 08:23 PM   #6  

Ann,

Thanks so much for your suggestion on the book...I will check it out. I am definetly probably going to have to do the water aerobics I am sure. From what I have heard it is also good...as you don't over heat as much because you are in the cool water.

Thanks!!
Yvonne
Old 03-12-2001, 11:37 AM   #7  

Yvonee--Still no baby yet!

Jeanne
due 3/15
Closed Thread