Old 11-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #1  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Default Teachers Successfully Losing Weight/holiday Season Edition/see Ya In January!

MY PERSONAL GOAL: I will try not to eat my way through the holidays...
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #2  

Hey everyone!
I finally found you! Can't sneak away from me that fast! Glad this Monday is over. It was report card day. My son forgot his report card and we had to drive all the way back over to the YMCA and pick it up. That was a lot of fun..... It was worth the drive though. We only have a four day work week this week. I am so happy about that..........
Summer: Where have you kept yourself hidden? We miss you. Thanks for the new thread!

I am gonna try and take a nap. I think I am getting a cold.

Later............

Pam
pamisuzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #3  

Pam - I have only been married for 4 1/2 years but we started dating when my children were only 3 and 6, so my DH has been in our lives most of their lives. It will be hard for all of us.

Mouse - stay off that ankle! It is hard to do now but in the long run you will be all the better off for it.

Robyn - I can't imagine having a mom come in and act like that! Luckily we don't have too many parents show up at the high school level. Sometimes I wish we had more parental support.

Summer - sorry to hear your schedule has been so crazy. Things will only get worse with the holidays quickly approaching.

This weekend I have been invited to a slumber party. It is a bunch of married women who are going to spend the night at a woman's house whose husband is currently in Iraq. I am sure it would be lots of fun but I feel funny about leaving the children after my DH just moved out last week. Maybe I can get a sitter for a few hours since we have Friday off to spend together.

This is parent teacher conference week for me. Actually the schedule isn't bad. We have Wednesday night 5-8 and Thursday (no school) 10-12, 1-4 and 5-8. The 10-12 time we don't have conference it is just a time to get things ready and it is when teachers, like myself, who have children in the district can meet with their children's teachers. We don't schedule appointments at my school. We are just all in the gym in alphabetic order and the parents talk to whomever they want to. I spend most of the time socializing with other people since I was born and raised in the area. Not too many special education parents bother to come. Some years I get all my Christmas cards addressed and the notes written inside. Then I just hold them until the beginning of December and pop them in the mail!

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #4  
burned out bus driver

Summer-
Thanks for starting the new thread......gee we have all missed you!!!!!
Sorry not to get personal right now, today has been so busy. Tomorrow promises to be sane.....well maybe. I will be out on the road for a HS at 6 am (yawn) but back a bit earlier.....all the public schools are closed......private all are open.......so drive I will......
and I will check in with this and the old thread tomorrow.....see ya then (and forgive me for not getting personal with you tonite!)
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #5  
Swimming Mouse

I have a feeling I missed something... What'd Robyn's parent do? I have one right now that won't call us back to set up an IEP meeting because I allegedly called her son a ****** (this is my child with ED). The head principal has taken over this task for us because the parent won't talk to any of the rest of the staff. And here I thought that going back to public schools meant that I'd get to leave the really ED parents behind!!! I had a parent like this my first two years at my last place... she burned through administrators like a mouse through cheese!
We have a 3 day work week this week... well, its 5 for me but 3 for the kids. We have "Meet the Teacher" tomorrow from 8:30 to 10:30, then I have a mentor meeting.... the last one I have to attend. Since I've been teaching 10 years, I don't have to complete the mentor program in this district. A truly good thing: most of the time my mentor gives me half the information I need, and in some cases, she is totally wrong. Like, she told me what form I needed to do IEP quarterlies, but forgot to tell me I had to photocopy the goals pages and mark those too! Fortunately, I had to get admin to sign off on my quarterlies, and that person told me that I needed to include those pages also! This district does it differently: I think I like it. We have to include a narrative AND the IEP goal pages. And we have progress reports we send out and are supposed to get back, but that's another story altogether!
So, I got the quarterlies done and mailed today, also two picture recipes (rice krispy treats, and Chex Mix). I need to make questions/writing to go with those two. Also managed to get all the pictures of the kids off the camera... which is good because we REALLY need to start working on those portfolios! I'm going to use that as my "final" for my basic skills classes. We have to do a project or a test, and I think that's a good place to stick the portfolios!
I did call the doctor, but couldn't get an appointment until tomorrow afternoon. I also finally reached the orthopedist's office down here, but couldn't get an appointment there until next Monday. They had some available this week, but they were in the middle of the day. I'm not positive I have a substitute TA, and its impossible to get a substitute for less than half a day for my class, so I had to wait till next Monday.
And I need to make stuff for my new student in swimming classes... He did respond pretty well to some of the stuff I already have.
I need to get it made and sent to the other teacher, although I'm going to ask her if we can get it really heavy laminated at Staples or something; the thinner laminate is leaking.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #6  
burned out bus driver

Ok, I tried to leave a long PM a few minutes ago and it got bounced into cyberspace....so I will be brief and hope this goes thru.

Went to WW this am....behind me online to WI was a dad from my route, I have driven all 3 of his kids to school and now only have one, as the other two are teenagers now. He confided in me -also wondering if his youngest had told me that he was moving. I did not know that. The reason for the move was because his marriage was failing- they had sold the house and both mom and dad were relocating in town. Fortunately for the kids (they are great kids too.....I adore them) they are staying nearby- not miles away.
Well, this dad told me that with his marriage failing, the move, his job situation being shaky, 2 teenagers......all the stress in his life.......the ONE thing he could control was the food he ate!! So he came to WW to conquer his weight. (he is a return WW member having lost 40# many years ago).

I found that inspirational- for those of us who are stress eaters.......
Sorry to be brief. See ya tomorrow (I'll get personal then......)
Ginny
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #7  

Hey!
I am totally pooped. I had another workshop afterschool and didn't get home til 5:30, then had to vacuum the living room, my doggie did some shredding. Chicken in the oven. We have a math department meeting tomorrow afternoon. Fortunately we are off Friday! Yeah! I really need to get some papers graded........They sit in my bookbag, in the car........Where they will remain until tomorrow morning, when I take the book bag back into school.

I have a student who grabbed a girls breast in class. He is in alternative school. He said it was an accident, but it was a full grab..........He is making me crazy.........This is sixth grade folks. You wouldn't believe the garbage written on the bathroom wall. IN the sixth grade, maybe I am naive.......But, I certainly didn't think of those things, and use those words, and didn't write on the bathroom wall.....

Let me go get some stuff done before dinner.

Hey to everyone!

Pam
Old 11-08-2005, 08:45 PM   #8  
Swimming Mouse

Okay, if you guys didn't get the idea, this is one mad mouse. There are some significant disadvantages to nerve damage... beyond, even, walking with a slight limp, having to wear hiking shoes all the time, and not ever being able to shop at DSW or Payless during the Buy One, Get One 50% off sales. Like, falling on your nose or your butt time and again. And again. And again.
I was pretty darned sure I hadn't done anything this time: it didn't start hurting too badly till last night, when it kept me up (now you know the reason behind the past-midnight posting!). I went to the doctor today, and she took my sock off and says, "Wow... its really swollen." I'd had to take my elastic brace off because I couldn't handle it (too tight). Then she asks me if I have any "ecchymosis". Huh?! Bruising. I said no, because I hadn't noticed any: I didn't think I was black and blue anywhere. WRONG!!!! All along the bottom of my foot, I am. And that means I tore something, again.
Oh, I'm so ticked off! Not at myself too much, but at the worker's comp laws in Pennsylvania... and the fact that I blindly agreed to what they suggested instead of fighting it. Okay, I didn't know then about medical care what I know now, that if they don't listen to you LEAVE... go somewhere else.
This is so old. I'm so tired of it. The doctor's office wants to have an MRI done, because an X-Ray will just show bone issues. But they are going to wait till I have a visit with an orthopedist, which is this coming Monday.
I can't take any kind of pain medication, can't take ibuprofren either, so she gave me a 'script for muscle relaxers because my leg was spasming again.
And I was so damn close to meeting my goals for the MONTH!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I'm in full whine mode right now. To top it off, it decided to RAIN for some reason tonight.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #9  
burned out bus driver

Mouse-
well, if you are in that much pain you deserve to bellyache a bit. I am sure that the incoming rain/weather change did not help your discomfort, as most of the time changes in weather aggravate an injury. I hope your pain eases up quickly and you heal fast. Good luck on the medical merry-go-round.....gosh you have had your share of it.

Pam- how are you feeling? Did you get some rest?? Hope so! How sad about the grabbing incident. I am not a huge fan of the "middle school" years. I do not drive middle school for that reason...... Hope they are good for you today......tell the leacher to sit on his creepy little hands.....gee, ain't I nice?

Sue- ok I went back and read the end of the last thread. You must be in shock. I feel badly for you, what a miserable situation. There is a rainbow out there somewhere waiting for you. I hope you can find a way to get to the slumber party for a few hours ( I like that approach). It gets you out and hopefully will be some fun for you.

Robyn- sent some stuff to you snail mail today........you should expect it by 2006.....

Not much new here. Kiddies were ok this am. Got 45 minutes of excercise in. Eating is ok. And I'd better go do something productive.....see ya!
Ginny
Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #10  
burned out bus driver

Survived this afternoon- I had a "light load" for both my HS and elementary runs, which made it easier and quieter. Now off to get dinner finished, and a large cup of tea.
Nite!
Ginny
Old 11-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #11  

Hey!

Another long day. Have Jumbalaya cooking on the stove. Need to put the recipe in to the weight watchers site and see how many points. Bet, it's high! Oh well......Smells great. School was ok. We had a false alarm fire drill......Ughhh, a real fire drill. Kids were wild... BUt, tomorrow is our last day of the week. So, I'm really excited about that.

Mouse: You have every right to complain. You poor thing. How are you getting around? Not very well I imagine. Hope all goes well.

Ginny: The grabber is not in my class for three days. I think her parents are actually pressing charges against him.

Sue: How are you? Four years or fifty years. I know your heart is broken. You need some time to be with your friends. You should go if only for a little while.

Robin: Hey! How's things this week??/

Let me go finish dinner.

Pam
Old 11-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #12  
burned out bus driver

Hey Pam-
yup, tomorrow is my last day for this week also. It just can't end soon enough. Gee, I hope that you are not dragged thru the mud because of the grabber incident. And you know........I might be inclined to press charges too, if it was my DD. Jambalaya.......oh brother......have no idea.......probably a million points......let me know how it calculated out.
Have a good nite!
Ginny
Old 11-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #13  
Swimming Mouse

Evening all!
Sue: I'm thinking about you, hoping things are slowly working themselves out!
Ginny: Glad your bus runs were light this PM.
Pam: Jambalaya, hmm? I don't think I've ever had it. I know what it is, but I'm not a big fan of spice. Do you make yours really super spicy?
Me? Well, I couldn't get my foot in a shoe today, which turned out to be a maybe good thing. It didn't hurt anywhere near as badly today as it has the last few days when I've put the shoes on with the orthotics and all. I am just going to wear the ankle brace and no shoe, I think. The brace is black, and I have black sandles... so I'm wearing one sandle and the brace; none of the kids noticed and neither did most of the staff. A definite plus in my book! All the kids will know tomorrow, though, because we have CBI... I won't be able to walk around the grocery store with them. I picked a nice big one that I feel safer having them walk around, and it has benches up front. My TA is going to walk with the one child (he has seizures, so he needs somebody near him), but the other three can be independent up to a point.
Some good news is that it looks like the position paper last summer might be published; I was told that the board requested some edits, but they were definitely interested in the paper. And, it looks like my grad advisor may allow the independent study project that I'm interested in. If that goes well, I might be able to publish the finished work: I'm going to do some spelling units with integrated recipes and writing activities.
I want to go swimming, but I'm afraid of getting out of the pool at the gym here. They have stairs, and its hard when I'm not nursing the ankle. I'm also scared that I might slip on their floor. Its way more slippery than my Baltimore gym; and that is where I fell. I guess I'll have to wait till Monday and see the orthopedist. I suspect I'll wind up with PT again. The one staff member who noticed did wonder if they were going to put a cast on it, but I doubt that. The brace worked well enough... I hate casts, its soooo hard to take a shower!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #14  

Hello everyone. Thank you for your well wishes and words of support. Today I emailed my DH and suggested we have a local real estate agent come and tell us what we could expect to sell the house for with the current market. Our house is appraised at $375,000 but we built it in the country in no man's land and not too many people in the market for a house like ours want to live in the middle of no where. Since we recently refinanced, we owe over $340,000. I doubt we could get what we owe.

We had parent-teacher conferences last night. We have the morning off then have them again this afternoon and evening. Tomorrow we have the whole day off. It is a nice schedule. It sounds like a lot of us are getting a break this week.

I think it is shocking the way the children talk about sex now. When I was in school couples did have sex but they didn't talk about it. Now they brag about getting drunk and sleeping with people they don't even like! Even the girls talk about having multiple partners. It is sad really. Makes me really worry what it will be like when my children get to be that age.

Sue
MaintenanceMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #15  
Swimming Mouse

Everybody can think of me too: I have school. We were off on October 10 for Columbus Day, but that has been all this year. I, of course, was off for the Jewish Holidays, but haven't been out otherwise. We have more days at Thanksgiving and Winter Break, though. I was surprised... and apparently, my district doesn't make up snow days. They get so much snow being in the western part of Northern VA that they had an exemption to start earlier than the other districts here; they also have more hours in the day for the students, so they hardly ever have to make up their snow days. Bring it ON!!! SNOW, SNOW, SNOW!!! SNOW!!!
Today was a strange day. I would have almost thought there was a full moon... my Spanish speaking student called me a b****. Out of nowhere. I didn't write him up because I really don't think he knew what he said; I made him sit in chill time for the last 5 minutes of the period. He had a bad day anyway: he forgot his lunch money and wouldn't let any of us give him the 40 cents he needed for lunch... by 8th period he was cranky and sleepy. I don't normally, but I let him sleep once he cleaned up his work.
My kid with ED is heading back into a strange phase... he's making up weird stories again, and spent the last 2 days with me during lunch detention and in chill-time. The first time he had lunch detention, he wrote on his response paper that he was in chill-tme for coughing, and that next time he'd just hold it in since I didn't understand what it was like to cough. I made him do it over. He also told us that one of the other teachers shows R-Rated movies to them in the afternoon. Oh, and Aerosmith was in Wayne's World... and the movie is about a couple of teens who want to start a rock band. They go back in time to get stuff for their band. He also drank "heavy water" last night with dinner. I need to remember to put all of this in his log we're keeping...