Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #42

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It was 32º and sunny with a breeze that was cold. The only change now that is later right after noon is that the temp is up to a big 40ºs and I am staying inside until I walk to the church building for mid week Bible study this evening. Well that thought may change for we may just have to take a ride to the edge of town and check on the buffalo. Will was out performing errands earlier and brought home a nice rotisserie chicken which we ate some of for lunch and all is well here in the home-front. The animals have all greeted me while I am in here and are now having their early afternoon nap.

I am a quarter of the way though reading the Salt, Sugar, Fat book. I’m telling you gals ~ “Get that book and read it.” I know Susan is getting it on her I-Pad. As Marion Nestle said it so well, “Anyone reading it will understand why food corporations cannot be trusted to value health over profits and why we all need to recognize and resist food marketing every time we grocery shop.” She is the author of Food Politics and What to Eat.

I hope all of you are having a lovely day this 6th day of March which came in like a lamb and will be going out like a lion if the old adage holds true. But it is a lion out east now isn’t it ~ all that snow they are getting piled on them. Did I tell you my new bread machine arrived yesterday afternoon? Will’s new toaster should be here shortly. He is talking about bringing up my espresso machine he took to the basement when we stopped using it and becoming acquainted with it once again. What that is all about is the place where we have been getting coffee got new machines and the taste isn’t the same. We can go back to making our own and by doing that we should save some do re me in the process. Sounds good to me.

The mailman just brought my 14” Stainless Steel Rolling Rod. They are manufactured from heavy duty stainless steel and polished to a beautiful mirror finish. These rolling rods are built to last forever. The open-core design allows the rod to be refrigerated causing that the rod will not heat up and cause the breakdown of fats when rolling dough. The smooth and solid surface of the rod will never absorb flavors or chip, crack, flake, or peel like a wood rod might. I am going to make a chicken pot pie with some left over rotisserie chicken and that will be a good time to try out the new rolling rod. Now we are just waiting for Will’s new toaster which won’t take up anymore space on the counter than his existing one. What I need to do is some re-arranging in there so I can fit that little espresso machine back on the counter near the coffee pot. I’ll do that when he brings it up from its resting place in the basement.

I made a batch of yogurt last evening and will have some as a snack this afternoon. I made all the jars plain and can add what I want when I open one up. I have several different flavors of sf jelly and jam that work well for flavorings along with my bottles of flavoring. I like to use a drop or two of almond flavoring with apricot sf jam and it is soooo good and so low in points+. I will mix some with low fat Miracle Whip to use. The home-made yogurt has a refrigerator life of @10 days so I don’t mix up a big batch of lower point spreads and such. I generally mix it up when it is going to be used since I don’t flavor every jar of yogurt I can use it for cooking. You would be surprised at the number of things that can be lightened with yogurt without losing the taste of the dish. I am planning on making some Greek Yogurt out of a couple of jars of it today. To make Greek Yogurt ~ AKA:Yogurt Cheese ~ Open a container of plain or vanilla yogurt ~ line a strainer with a coffee filter and place it over a bowl and spoon in the yogurt, cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to let the liquid drain out. Discard the liquid and what you have in the coffee filter is the Greek Yogurt to flavor as you wish. There now you have your Yogurt Cheese tutorial. Some of the yogurts you purchase at the market have binders in them and won’t separate the whey when you try it this way. The binders keep the yogurt intact. You can tell by reading the carton which ones won’t separate.

JEAN I hope you do get some much needed moisture. We are slowly are getting some which is helpful but need more. I much prefer fish done on the outside grill than in the house. I do have some in the freezer from Schwans that is light and doesn't smell up the place when done in the oven though. But fresh fish done on the barbie is the best.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-06-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #2  

Good morning girls. I hope I am over what was going on with me yesterday. I had a terrible runny nose, couldn't quit sneezing, and my eyes just watered and ran down my face. It felt like something was up one nostril making me sneeze and everything, but I would blow and blow and nothing. I finally took some allergy medicine and then I could sleep last night. It hasn't reappeared this morning, but I haven't blown my nose yet. I sure hope not because I couldn't even function it was so bad.

Jack's got himself a dental appt for the 26th so he can get his tooth taken out. He has been to this guy before and likes him and I know the poor man is miserable. The weird thing is we had this very short window to have him go in without it messing up his bonus days. He is off Good Friday but has to work the day before and day after so he couldn't go then, the next week he has a day off for a MLK memorial day (the day he died) and had to work day before, day after, then if he had taken sick time off, he would have started the clock over, which means he wouldn't have gotten his bonus day until after our cruise so that would have been messed up. Anyway, he is going to go the 26th and get it all fixed up.

I thought you would get a kick out of this so here it is. One of my dd's friends posted it on FB.

Hope you all have a wonderful day. I need to get to work and play catchup. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2525_10151492969740549_552030664_n.jpg (29.6 KB, 12 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! The sun is shining and its 45 degrees right now, heading into the 60s by the weekend and next week.

I had teeth cleaning yesterday morning. I have bad dry mouth from the inhalers I have to use and the dentist told me to use Biotene Spray and Mouthwash and he gave me a prescription for toothpaste that has 4 times the flouride of store toothpaste. Apparently dry mouth and drinking a lot lets bacteria flourish and he noticed the beginning of a change, not a cavity yet, at the gum line on one tooth so this is what I need to do. He also told me not to rinse my mouth after using the prescription toothpaste (I only need it at night) because that lessens the flouride that is put on the teeth. I was amazed to found out my insurance covers the toothpaste.

Tonight is First Thursday Bee and tomorrow I have my 5 hour appointment for the drug trial. One more after that and it will be over.

Faye, that is a cute cartoon! I forgot to tell you that I got silicon protectors for all my cast iron skillets. They never wear out and never get hot. I've had them for over 30 years and they are still working. They stay on permanently (but you could take them off if you wanted). They also don't slip like a pot holder type could. I'm glad Jack is getting his tooth taken care of. It's a shame it has to be pulled.

Maggie, I'm reading THE book now. I wonder who will be the first to file a lawsuit against the food manufacturers? I'm sure it wouldn't go anywhere because we didn't have to eat their foods. I'm not doing prepared foods or food with a bunch chemicals. They make foods fat free or reduced fat and then add sugar to make it taste good - just compare the labels of reduced-fat peanut butter and regular peanut butter, or they reduce the sugar and add more fat. This book should be required reading in high schools.

Hi, Jean!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

Today is the day Will was on the local TV station talking about what he does at the museum. Those guys down there say they want him back many more times. He is now at his volunteer job at the museum. My plans for dinner are to use the leftover rotisserie chicken and make some chicken noodle soup. I have a half bag of wide noodles and the carrots and onions chopped ready for the pot and found I am out of celery so Will can pick up some on his way home this afternoon. I have things in the freezer that I can make a lunch out of if I decide I want a hot meal or I can make a sandwich. I’ve not yet decided what I want for lunch for I am still just enjoying my morning coffee. Will always fixes it for me and I took a sip and said, “There isn’t any espresso in this.” He said he doesn’t know how to use that machine but will read the instructions later for he saw that I had placed the instruction booklet on top of the pot. A gentle hint there don’t ya think. I’m the one that always made the espresso but he gets up earlier than I do and said he will learn how to make it. It isn’t at all difficult.

DONNA FAYE I am so glad for you that your allergy meds got rid of your water works so you can function this day. Poor you, that must make you miserable having your face leak that much. Yep that is the way to weigh ~ funny cartoon ~ thanks. That is good that Jack has a day that he can get to the dentist. A toothache makes a person feel bad all over.

SUSAN That is interesting about that toothpaste. I am so glad for you that your insurance covers its purchase. I get to go to my dentist for my next appointment on April 13th and am looking forward to getting my pearly whites cleaned. Even the powdered peanut butter has fat in it. Here are its stats for 2 tablespoons ~ Fat 1.5g; Carb 5g; Fib 2g; Pro 5g which equals 1p+ for the 2 Tbsp. It’s claim on the label is that it has “85% less fat calories that the traditional peanut butter and it is made with roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt” (I guess the fat is in the nut). I wish they would leave the sugar out also and I could sweeten it if I choose with Splenda®. I totally agree with you that book Salt, Sugar, Fat should be required reading in schools but we know that will never happen for the big 3 companies would block it by using the court system.

Have a wonderful day Magnolias Yack at y'all later. I am off to find some lunch for it just turned noon o'clock.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-07-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, and has been all day! It's a "warm" 36 degrees and the snow is melting in the back yard. YEA!

I did a REALLY stupid thing at church! We had an electric pencil sharpener that hasn't worked for a very long time. I complained because all the pencils were so dull so Bob told me to buy a new one. I took it Monday morning, plugged it in, and pitched the old one in the recycle box. When I went to bell practice yesterday, the secretary asked me what I did with the electric stapler . . . it turns out that what I unplugged and pitched was the stapler! In my defense, both are/were black and about the same size. After bell practice Bob picked me up for supper and I asked him if he wanted to go dumpster diving and explained what I had done. We checked but all the bags were black and I assumed garbage left over from free food night, so didn't open any. With my luck the cops would have gone by and arrested us for stealing. This morning I went to the office supply store, purchased a new electric stapler, and took it to the office. I did go to WW this morning and showed a loss of 4.2#s. I'm not sure how but that's what the scale said.

Maggie -- Are you going to make a pie with your new rolling rod? I know you will have fun with your new bread machine. I'd much rather have the "real" food, and less of it, than sugar free or fat free. Bob swears up and down he can tell a difference, but when I read the ingredients I'd rather have less sugar I think. I know Amanda reads labels to check sugar content.

"Gma" -- Glad the allergy meds worked for you. Does Jack know for sure he has to have his tooth pulled and not "fixed?" Ouch! Thanks for sharing the funny cartoon . . . don't we wish!

Susan -- Bob's mom used that Biotene, and I noticed it's been advertised on tv. I imagine your insurance covers your toothpaste because it is a prescription. I look forward to 40 degree temperatures; that will seem like a heat wave to me!

I have a load of towels in the dryer to fold and need to think about something for supper. Bob ate a free lunch put on by an implement dealer here in town, so have no idea how hungry he will be. He brought home a Taste of Home recipe for crock pot oatmeal, with dried cherries; it has to cook 7-8 hours so will make that for him tonight. Will let you know if it's a "keeper" or not. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Friday

Friday already. Where has the week gone so quickly. It is a chilly day here in the ♥-Land and just a bit of a breeze. The only one thing I need to do this day is to make a loaf of sour dough bread. Other than that I can putts around as I wish today. We will be having dinner at I-Hop so I don’t have to think about what I am going to cook.

Schwan’s® came by early this morning and we didn’t buy a thing this time. He left a new catalog which I will enjoy looking through. Such nice food pictures that do cook up like them I have found if I follow their directions. But what I think I will order in a couple weeks when he comes back around to deliver it will be some snack items that are only 1 point+ each and some of their mini cheese burgers that are only 3P+ each and I can eat only one. Will loves donuts so I will order a bag of their mini 1 point+ each ones so I can enjoy one and he can have more. It isn’t often I want a snack item but when I do it is convenient if they are in the freezer.

I just took that sourdough loaf out of the oven and it baked up real nice looking. I cut slits across the top so it won’t break open while it stretches when it bakes and the squares cut on the crust look so pretty with that egg wash I put on before baking it. I am sure to awe that young man when he sees it. How it came about that I made him a loaf is that he served Will some fresh sourdough toast and Will told him I make an awesome loaf and said if he smiled nice at me then maybe I would bake him one. Well ~ I got the biggest grin you could imagine and so he gets a loaf. Then wouldn’t you just know it that my machine quit working and I had to order a new one ~ I wore it out. I let the machine mix the dough then cook it in the oven for we like the round loaf of rustic type breads. So our little waiter friend is getting the first loaf that was mixed in my new machine. This kid lives just with his mom and is working and saving his money for college and has quite a stash already saved. He is a bright young man and makes excellent grades. He bought a small motor cycle to ride to work so his mother doesn’t have to cart him around. She also works and that frees her up to get to her job with him having his own transportation.

JEAN on that great loss. Isn't it always a better feeling when you don't expect a good loss then the scale yells at you "horrah!" I got a chuckle out of your stapeler story. Nope, I wouldn't go through that trash either ~ I would never make a good dumpster diver. I haven't decided yet what to make first with that new rolling pin. It is in the fridge though getting cold. I have been thinking maybe I'll make a brunch tomorrow and roll out some 2 p+ biscuits using it. The bread machine works like it should. I hadn't realized my old one was loud until I used the new one today and it is so quiet. I would much rather use up an appliance then have it quit prematurely.

SUSAN Will ordered that Pandora's Lunchbox book for me today from one of his book resource web sights and got it at a much lower price than the local store quoted him if they ordered it for him. I should have it in a week or so. Yikes ~ I am surprised we live as long as we do with the "junk" they put in our food. I really appreciate your giving me heads up on those books. I can't grow everything we eat in our garden and we aren't allowed to have any livestock so we have to shop more intelligently when we market shop.

Have a great afternoon Magnolias ~ Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #7  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's raining tonight! We did have sunshine until mid afternoon, along with the wind which made it seem colder than the thermometer said it was. I "worked" in the church office this morning as the secretary had to be gone and this afternoon I met a friend for coffee. Not much accomplished around here today, but I'm tired tonight for some reason.

Maggie -- Glad your new bread machine is all that you hoped it would be. It has been years since I had the sourdough starter. I don't think I've ever worn any appliance out; I've donated a few over the years though. Let us know how you like the new cookbook. I haven't heard of that one.

I am heading to bed. Depending on what the weather does, we are heading to Sioux Falls tomorrow. Ian's Pinewood Derby is at 5:00 and it will be late coming home. I play bells Sunday and have to be there by 7:30, on top of losing an hours sleep. Hope you all enjoy a nice weekend!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! Going to be in the 60s this day so Casper and I will go for a walk.

Glory and I are going to tea this afternoon. That will be my lunch and dinner for the most part. I might have and apple and some carrots this evening if I feel hungry.

Tuesday Morning has markdowns up to 80% off on clothing and other items so I'm going to stop in there before tea. They are close together. I hope they have some more of the shirts I got in January. They are the most comfortable I've had in a long time and fit perfectly. I have to have elbow length sleeves to be comfortable because of my arms having lose skin. It's almost impossible to find them anymore and these shirts have them.

Faye, I hope you aren't feeling bad again.

Jean, what an amazing loss! You rock! Did you think Pandora's Lunchbox was a cookbook? Easy mistake to make. It's about all the chemical additives in our foods and the affect they have on our bodies. I wouldn't have gone dumpster diving, either.

Maggie, I really enjoyed my career in computer science, but now I wish I had been a registered dietician. In VA seniors can attend state schools and audit courses for free and I think I'm going to sign up for some come fall because nutrition really interests me. It's also good to keep the brain working. Maybe Will will be asked to do a tv program. I'm sure he'd be intesting and have a big following for he is very knowledgable. I think I mentioned before, my paycheck comes indirectly from the big food manufacturers because my boss represents them in lawsuits and the recruting side of the business finds middle and upper management postions. I think it is interesting how "Sugar, Fat, and Salt" talks about going to the CEOs homes and not finding any of their products in the kitchen. That should be a red flag for sure.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #9  

Good morning to you gals. Sorry I didn't get in here yesterday. Guess I zoned out as I thought I had come in here and posted yesterday morning.

It is sunny and cloudy, but supposed to be near 70 so time to drag out the capris and sandals at least for one day, though the temps are supposed to stay in the upper 60's for at least a week.

My poor daughter has pleurisy. She has been sick off and on since December and is out of sick time so has had to go to work with this stuff. I am hoping she can get some rest this weekend and help her on the way to feeling better.

Jack made breakfast this morning, pancakes. Ugh, what a mess to clean up. He laid the measuring cup he used to put batter on the griddle on the countertop and dripped the yuck down the front of the cabinet. He burned most of them, mainly because he is a stubborn man and doesn't like me to tell him how to do anything. He scorched my new pot handle cover because he didn't listen when I told him not to leave it on the handle while cooking, but to put it on and off when he needed to grab the handle. So, though I love him for making breakfast, it would have been seriously easier for me to do it!

We are going out in a couple hours to run a few errands and get the car washed. I have to wait for the water heater to fill back up as I washed sheets in hot water and ran a load of dishes, which wipe out the hot water. I should be able to shower and such in about half an hour or so I think then get out and about.

Maggie: Sounds like you bread came out great and you have some new things to look at from Schwanns. I am fixing chicken in a sauce in the crockpot for dinner tonight. It is this package mix I bought at the commissary. The pork one was quite nice so we will see about the chicken.

Susan: Hope you and Casper have a nice walk. We are taking Fortune with us to Indiana for Jackson's birthday and I imagine he will love that. He likes to travel and doesn't get car sick or anything. I have to find him a new groomer before that though. I am back to having the bowel issues taking this darn med, but controllable with Immodium so I am fine and no more allergy stuff either, which is nice.

Jean: I had to laugh at the dumpster diving. It icked me out just to think about it as I have had to do it a couple times when I accidently threw out something important. Keeping my fingers crossed Ian does well at the derby! Congrats on the loss!!!

Well, I need to get going and get things done, etc. Have a nice Saturday and Sunday! Faye
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday ~ Chilly This Day

It is a chilly morning here in the ♥-Land and I am waking up with a nice cup of coffee after having made sure Cecil had food in his dish. We have light winds and possibly snow is on the way in the late hours of this day. We got just a little smattering of rain last evening just enough to wash the dust off the road.

Our little waiter friend sure was surprised with that loaf of bread I baked for him. Our guess is he really didn’t think I would do that. One day he may learn I am a person that does what she says she will do or keeps her yap shut and that I don’t do anything I really don’t want to. Life is good.

Will is at the mall doing a demonstration of how to properly clean an old saddle. I believe folks will just want him to clean theirs also for it is a messy deal and you have to take them apart to properly clean them then you must get them back together correctly. It is a big process for sure if done properly. He is doing this as a part of a museum display they are putting on today. Me thinks he misses his saddle shop he had in TN years back. He also will demonstrate how they clean the antique guns they have on display at the museum. It is an all day affair with a break for lunch. He said he will be home for lunch so I am going to heat up some of that chicken noodle soup I made. BTW ~ Will likes his new toaster for it is “trick” with all the nice features on it. It really works like they said it would in the ad.

On my ‘to do’ list this day is to color my hair and deciding what to wear tomorrow for since it is the “time change” I will be losing an hour of sleep and it is the Sunday this month Will preaches in a place called Ransom. If I have my outfit already picked out then I can get dressed in my sleep and sip my morning coffee on the way.

JEAN I think Susan answered the thing about that not being a recipe book. I believe we need to be aware of what is put into the foods we purchase or not to purchase. Just be aware the best we can.

SUSAN You must have an interesting job. I used to work for a couple lawyers during weekends during the summer months when school was out. Once I couldn’t understand the recording I was trying to type from ~ he ate Hershey bars a lot. One of the lawyers there owned property on an island off the coast of CA and had sheep on it to keep the grass mowed. There is a string of three islands that can be seen from the mainland off the coast where I lived. It was possible to paddle a kayak out there. I imagine that your career in Computer Science has been an interesting one. When I went back to collage I got plugged into a two year program in Computer Programing and have the "certificate" to prove it. I have always loved plugging to collage classes and have taken some neat courses. This is the only place we have lived I haven't gone to a college class. Being a diatician would be an interesting career. If I had it all to do over I would have been an Oceanografer and gone on the Glomayer Exployer and studied the botom of the ocean and the things that live there or have been deposited there. Swam and dived in the deep with Jock Cousteau.

DONNA FAYE You sneaked in there while I was posting so I didn't see your post till I posted. Anyway ~ aren't crock-pots wonderful. I use mine quite a lot. Will stays out of the cooking end of things in the kitchen. He makes the coffee and his toast and that is the extent of it. His speciality is outdoor cooking and he is great at that. I will prepare the items but he will do the grillling. Sorry to hear she has plurisy ~ THAT hurts. I am one of those folks that is blessed with good health ~ when I retired they had to pay me for a whole years sick pay and that was a good chunk of do-re-me. There were those where I worked that used their sick leave as fast as they got it. Some were really sick and some were sand bagging. As I get advanced in my years I have more aches and pains and do take some meds.

Have a great day Magnolias ~

Last edited by Maggie; 03-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #11  

Good morning to you all! Well we decided to go and get the car washed even though it is supposed to rain today. We dodged the rain and the car is in the garage so the rain can move on through now and be done with it!
We had to go to WM, which I absolutely hate, but sometimes you just have to go there when they don't have stuff other places, like my hair color. I want to dye my hair again before I go to the doctor's on Friday for my biopsy.

I weighed in this morning and I am down 4 lbs! I just hope I can keep heading that way with these pills goofing everything up. I have decided to buy one of those foot pedal exercise thingys. I can use it either with my hands or my feet so I can get upper and lower body and get some cardio out of it too. I think at least it will give me an exercise option since I am still having trouble with lower groin cramping when I walk around. I need to get some cardio going and this seems to be a decent way to start getting in daily exercise.

The chicken in the crockpot was very good last night, but the mixes have way too much salt in them. I will probably go back to using low sodium chicken broth and just thicken it before we eat to make a sauce. The chicken was fall off the bone tender and held its juice so Jack really liked it. Tonight we are having a veal chop and baked onion rings with cauliflower. I am going to make some strawberry shortcake with fresh berries and Splenda over a little biscuity thing and some ff cool whip on top. One of the things they had for dessert on the ship was a dessert sampler. It was three tiny desserts and I know one was chocolate, but the one I fell in love with was this elderberry mousse. Gals this stuff was to die for. It was basically just a little round about 1/8 of a cup or so but it was one of the best things I have ever had. I hate wine, beer, and hard liquor for the most part, but I told Jack I might try elderberry wine sometime if it tasted anything like that dessert! I would hate for Jack to put me in rehab though and tell the people I was an elderberry wine fiend!

Kelly is starting to feel better I think. I haven't talked to her but she sounds like she is on the mend on FB.

Maggie: Jack is a whiz out on the grill too and makes a mean grilled cheese sandwich! He teases me because I will only eat a sandwich if it is cut on the diagonal so he cuts my grilled cheese into these tiny little triangles. It is nice and warm here but sure is windy today and very overcast. We are climbing into 60's and 70's next week and I noticed my azaleas have some blooms on them. We still don't have any buds on the tree yet though I did see some beautiful lilac trees already bloomed out and the dogwoods are already shedding their little flowers today.

Well gals, gotta go and put the laundry in the dryer and get some other stuff done. Have a lovely day! Faye
Old 03-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It snowing and blowing hard in my neighborhood right now. The flag across the street is standing straight out from the pole. We're in a winter advisory until 2 AM tomorrow, but I have no idea how much snow we are to get. It will be hard to measure with the wind blowing it around. Yesterday we drove to Sioux Falls in wind, rain and fog, then came home in rain, wind, and snow squalls. We took the longer route home because of the temperature dropping and better roads; consequently it took longer than usual. Ian was in four races; he took first once and second the other three times so will go on to the next competition level whatever that is. It was fun to watch the kids as they get so excited when their cars race.

This morning I played bells and had to be at church by 7:30 to set up and practice; the plows hadn't been out yet so it was eerie driving and not being able to see the shoulder or center line on the highway. I've got laundry going and am sneaking up on cleaning the curio cabinet. I have card club here a week from tomorrow night and crafty club a week from Thursday.

Susan -- Do you put Casper on a leash when you go for a walk, or will he stay with you? We have a friend who takes her cat in a cat stroller. I'm sure you enjoyed the tea with Glory. I would like to do that sometime. I did think Pandora's Lunchbox was a cookbook. I hadn't read any further but now I know. How nice to be able to audit courses! My best friend from high school was a dietitian; I always enjoyed listening to her wisdom.

"Gma" -- on losing another 4#s! You have the scale going in the right direction for sure! I don't think I will every see 70 degrees again! I can still see the house across the street but the blowing snow is pretty heavy. I do hope Kelly is feeling better. I know that pleurisy can be very painful. Bob is good about cleaning in the kitchen whether I make the mess or he does.

Maggie -- Not being a horse person, I didn't know that saddles came apart to be cleaned. I'll bet Will's demonstrations were interesting. Glad the new toaster is a "hit" with the man of the house! Bob won't drink diet pop because somewhere along the line he saw on tv, or read, that the ingredients are bad for a person. He doesn't drink much pop anyway.

I need to get another load in the washer and keep moving. I'm afraid if I sit down I will fall asleep; it was a short night for sleeping last night! Enjoy the rest of your day -- hope your weather is better than mine!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking SUNDAY ON THE CHILLY SIDE w/WIND

It is a chilly 28º day here in the ♥-Land and the snow is blowing with the ever present wind which we are under an advisory until 7pm. We didn’t go to Ransom after all for they called and said the snow was thicker there and so we will go another time ~ probably next Sunday. Will got out early and cleared a path for me to get to church next door today.

My brother sent me a bunch of things pertaining to “me” when he was going through the records my mother kept. My birth announcement is neat and shows what a good sense of humor she had. I have never seen another card like this one these days. My mother wasn’t considered a “pack rat” but a good organizer and kept a nice file system of records with each of the children having a file neatly organized. I thought I would share a bit of my history with you. I have also received a copy of the will and am so glad my brother is taking care of everything. It was interesting to read what she left to each of us children and the grandchildren. Years back she asked us to put our names on what we wanted in her house and she had them in the will. Now it is up to my brother to distribute the items. It used to be my job to do but when I left that state I told my folks to take me off as executrix of the estate. Here is what is on that card I mentioned above:

Announcing something rare
In “family” literature;
A priceless New Edition,
Bound in Miniature!
TITLE: (my name)
PUBLISHING CO. (my folks names)
BULK: (my weight and length)
PUBLICATION DATE (my birth date)
PRICE: Not for sale – For exhibition only.

For being so old that card is in good condition. She had also saved some of my achievement announcements and school report cards and grades. It was fun to go through all that “stuff” and decide what to put in my album and what to toss. I only have one album of pictures and things now for I sent all papers pertaining to our daughter to her already and lots of pictures. I cleaned out all my records when we went to live in that small space of a motor-home. We have gathered a lot of things since living in this house all these years that wouldn’t go in a motor-home. If we ever decide to downsize again we will have one huge yard sale. It all depends on when Will wants to retire (once again) and he isn’t giving that much thought at the present for we both do like it here. I guess it pretty much depends on what happens to the economy what we will end up doing.

We went out to eat Chinese today after services and were treated for our lunch. The fortune in Will’s cookie read, “You need a new environment. Go on vacation.” Mine read, “Discover your companion’s world. Two worlds are richer than one.” Looks like we need to go on a vacation together from that. After we ate we went by and got coffee at our favorite place because we found out that they are using their old machine “on request.” So now we have coffee that tastes like it used to. That machine is a bit slower but still makes better coffee.

DONNA FAYE on your 4 pounds gone forever. You are going to be looking great come your cruise time if you keep it up. A lot of those “mixes” are too salty for us also. I have several good recipes for different types of spice mixes sans salt plus some good rubs that we like. I stay away from the packaged kind.

JEAN No soda is really good for you so it’s best not to drink any but I do drink diet Pepsi when I want one. because I don’t want the calories the loaded ones have in them. My bottled drink of preference is Perrier Water for it has a fizz in it and comes in a nice little green bottle. I guess because I was going to be short an hour during the night I didn't sleep well at all. I woke up at 2 am and stayed awake for quite awhile but probably will sleep real well tonight.

Type at y'all later ~ Oh the restless wind ~ will it ever stop.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #14  

Good afternoon, ladies. 53 degrees today but sunny.

Tomorrow is Applique bee at Bella so that will be fun. I'll be taking a Bento box lunch with me.

Faye, congratulations on the great weight loss. Any exercise is better than nothing. Science now says we should be up and moving about 10 minutes every hour. Going to the gym for an hour or two and then sitting the rest of the day doesn't do it. I swear by the silicon pan handle covers - here's a link http://www.amazon.com/gp/bit/apps/we...21221_US_ie_tb_ they stay on the pan, don't burn and don't get hot and they are fairly cheap. Stan was a wonderful chef but he dirtied every pan I had and was used to having someone to clean up after him so that was my job. We had elderberry bushes in the pasture and it was my job to pick them for jellies and pie. They are very small so it took awhile but I sure loved the result.

Jean, more snow! You poor thing. The farmers here are ready to start plowing in the next week or two. I think I'll be switching out the closet around the first week of April. I'm ready to put away winter clothes.

Maggie, in Pandora's Lunchbox she gives her definition of a processed food and that is any product sold in a store or restaurant that you can't duplicate with the exact same ingredients at home. Subways Chicken Sandwich has 155 ingredients - most of which we have never heard from. Why does chicken need sugar? It's totally disgusting the stuff in our food. We can buy a blueberry muffin in the store but the blueberries are probably mostly startches, sugars and chemicals with the addition of 6% blueberry solids. That's all it takes for it to be labeled as blueberry. You can add all sorts of things to foods and as long as the percentage is small enough to be less than 1% it doesn't have to be on the label. Hence pink slime. I'm going back to making my own bread and cooking whole grains for cereals. I did my cooking for the week today so my dinners and lunches are all ready and I have no need of processed foods. We are expecting a huge hit to the economy over the next year here - the loss of 12,000 military jobs will mean another 8,000 lost in the regular job market. I guess some will just have to move elsewhere for work because the job market here is pretty much military and tourtist driven. The only manufacturer is the Anheuseur Bush Brewery and those that have work there never leave until they retire (free beer for one thing).

Have a wonderful evening.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

SUSAN I know I am going to be doing more cooking now than “eating out.” It has gotten so we can’t trust anywhere to cook something without adding things in it that aren’t really “necessary.” I can't look at a packaged container anymore without wondering what is lurking in it that isn't on the label. I already make my own yogurt and bread so that is a small start of cleaning up my act and watching my food intake more closely these last years of my life. Will got a notice on his computer just a few minutes ago that said that my copy of Pandora's Lunchbox has been shipped and is on its way in the mail. I know you will be having a lovely time at Bella’s and aren’t those Bento boxes neat. I have a couple of the WW “take out” containers that are nice to pack a meal in. Great for us to use when we are “out and about” looking at gravestones for folks.

Have a great afternoon.