Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #151  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning kids,

We were supposed to get 2 to 4 inches of snow today - right now the sun is shining (it's a bit hazy) but sure don't look like snow. They are so off the mark when it comes to the weather up here. We do joke about sticking your head out the door 5 minutes before you want to leave and that's the weather. About the only thing you can rely on is the temperature.

I guess I am an old fart. Officially. Looked up the weather and they have a spread on the 10 most popular places for spring break. Everything is all about drunkeness, naked girls (the guys are never naked, notice that?) and just general stupidity. Seems like young girls are pimping themselves out to hang with old guys just for the bling, bling. And they do expect to be pampered and treated like princesses (unlike the first wives). When I was cute and 21 there's NO WAY I'd ever consider dating some old geezer that was 35 or 40 ewwwwwwwww I'm not deeply religious and I pretty much have a live and let live attitude but it seems to me that as a society we are headed towards the Sodum and Gommora end, no?

Yesterday I went to the doctor - I sure do like her. We had a nice chat, everything looks good in general. I told her I stopped taking the Metformin for the blood sugar a couple of months ago, we agreed to an A1C test and hopefully with a bit of a tighter control on my sugar intake, I can be off the expensive meds. I also wanted to check the cholesterol and it was time for my thyroid bloodwork. Finished with her and went to the lab. I was a little disappointed to see the girl in there - she was young and looked like she just got out of nursing school. I am not an easy "stick" I have small veins that like to hide. And of course she had trouble. She had me drink some water - 3 glasses that I chugged - anything to help - still no luck. She was very considerate and did not stick me, just kept tapping to find a likely vein. Finally she said she'd have to call another person to help which was ok with me. Well C the lead person came out and she might as well have had a big red ball on her nose and a hat with jingle bells on it. She just gave me that impression and I knew I was in trouble. She claimed she found a vein in my right arm - young girl said yes, but that's small and deep (which I know means a painful poke and a vein that will run fast from the needle). Ditzy McGhee then looked at my left arm and claimed she found a good vein. Ok, go for it. I never look and instead had my head turned, my eyes closed and had my fist buried in my forehead. Ditz sticks me and says - wow you didn't even move, you must not have felt that. I said through clenched teeth, just because I don't flinch doesn't mean I'm not feeling it. I'm trying to stay still for your sake. She was poke, poke, poking and I was pushing my fist harder into my forehead. She asked how I was doing and I said not very comfortable. She asked if I wanted to come back and I said yes - wanted to ask her which days she was off but I didn't The first nurse said she's got a good vein in her hand there but Ditz said nope, she said she'll come back so let's do that. I smiled at the young nurse like that was ok and rescheduled my appointment for next week. As I was leaving Ditz said not to make it for Monday as they were booked solid. I went to the receptionist and told her I needed to schedule labs but not for Monday and she said - they have PLENTY of appointments open for Monday thus solidifying my thought that she was Bo Bo the Fool's Mom. I really like my doctor but it sure does seem like a revolving door of staff at the clinic - every time I come there it's new people. And I have nothing against a new nurse - heck, everyone needs to start out but I think they should have an experienced person to back the newbie up because there are people like me who are not easy (my Mom's like me too) and we shouldn't have to be a pincushion for them to stab over and over. ESPECIALLY if your job is to work in the lab and draw blood all day. So I go back next week. Gives me a chance to eat cleaner anyway.

Annie - must have been salad day yesterday. We had a salad for supper - romaine, arugula, spinach, chopped cold rotisserie chicken, pine nuts, sliced almonds, a bit of shredded cheese, the last of my fresh pomegranate seeds, chopped apple. I had a white balsamic dressing, DH tried a new tangy orange dressing (Litehouse brand) that he said tasted like marmalade and had bits of red chili pepper to give it a bite. That one was zero fat and not bad at all on the calories. Tasted good - I was just trying to use up some stuff in the refrigerator and pantry. Skipped the cranberries as DH is supposed to avoid them with the coumadin meds. Dannon makes some really really good yogurts in their lite n fit line. I never thought of partially freezing it - thanks for the great idea! You sound a bit more positive too - not so White Rabbit run, run, run - still a million things to do no doubt but all in good time and you can't achieve anything trying to do it all simultaneously. I'm very glad to hear it. Turkey humping time reminds me of one thing - the boys are strutting their stuff walking back and forth and honestly, the girls are totally ignoring them ( ) All they want to do is eat and be left alone. As the days go by and it's not only their heads that are turning blue they will begin to become more aggresive in their pursuit of the ladies. Then it's just a turkey run out there. DH and I will begin one of our favorite activities which is narrating and putting human voices to what's going on in the yard.

Laura - good luck with that goal planning. Wish you'd be allowed to put in some fun goals like being able to hold up a big STOP sign and judge's gavel when someone is rambling on and on in a meeting (will improve efficiency by 25 percent in weekly status meetings), install a margarita bar for Friday happy hour (implement 3 procedures to improve morale and team comraderie). Right, eh? Enjoy your half day off - hope you are leaving early for fun stuff.

Ceejay - I laughed so hard at your casual comment about if you had to do goals and objectives you'd have to figure out how to retire as early as possible Good for you for not caving to the girls down the street. I can see occasionally helping but unfortunately, they seem to take advantage of the situation. And sometimes they need to give something back too...

Mel - I'm sorry your neck is bothering you now. Hope you didn't hit a speed bump. Sending you some good wishes (and a tube of Icy Hot).

Michelle - I hope that both of our A1C tests come out well That's really considerate of you and your roomie to take the dogs out of the house during the day so they don't bark and get into trouble. Not many people are as considerate as you are. That was nice of your cousin to help you with options in CA, now if only they could include places that were hiring too. Is there alot of industry there or is it alot of government stuff because of the military there?

Shad - hope you are home for the weekend and having some good weather.

Have a good weekend.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #152  
Choose your hard

Yay on the good b/p reading Ceejay - I think that bike riding is paying off!
Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #153  

Still morning! The goals session went well, just have to get them into the right format - specific, measurable, etc.

Ceejay - Good for you bringing down the BP through exercise!! And good for you turning down the girls - if between the four of them they can't find their own transportation, oh well, not your problem. Yeh, goals are a PITA. My boss is going to retire within a year or two - wonder if she has "retire" on her goals list, lol. Not likely, but I'm sure the goal is to make sure there's a smooth transition to the next head of the department.

Annie - I'm going to have to get on board with Greek yogurt. Based on your discovery, and the higher protein that Ceejay mentioned, it's probably a good thing to try. re your comment "Hemorrhoid Center PLUS" really plus? Who wants more.- love it!!! Good job on the exercise, and that salad sounded tasty!!

Michelle - Hope the bloodwork comes out favorably. Have a wonderful Friday evening, and I hope the water walking helps your back loosen up. your plumbing issue is all fixed now!!!

Happy - Hope the bloodwork comes out good. the weather stays clear for your drive to Duluth. I agree, disposals only add to the problems. We had one in the condo when it was bought, but the house didn't and we didn't install one. But it also lacked a dishwasher, and that was mandatory!!! We gave up a good-sized base cabinet to make room for a dishwasher.

Shad - How's the weekend going??
===
Nothing much to report from here. Leaving shortly to begin my weekend. I'm going to walk over and catch the bus that takes me to Navy Pier for the Flower & Garden Show. I checked out the food options in advance and instead of hitting the food court, I'm going to order a grilled veggie pizza (no cheese) to carry out from one of the sit-down restaurants there.

Tomorrow I'll try to get out of the house early, buy my fitness passport, and then go to the 9 am circuit class.

We were supposed to go out tomorrow night with friends, but instead of going to an Irish restaurant/pub they've decided on another place and I'm not all that excited about it, and I'm pretty sure bf's made other plans since nothing had been firmed up...oops. Not sure what's riskier - going out to dinner or eating something junky at home...we'll see. I might go solo.

That's about it for me. Gonna sign off and pack up! Have a great weekend everyone!

Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #154  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

HI KIDDOS....
I WENT TO THE STORE BUT IT WASN'T A GREAT TRIP.
I BOUGHT ENOUGH TO FINSIH THE MONTH OUT THOUGH!! LOL
MY GRANDMOTHER DIDN'T RAISE NO FOOL.
JEN AND MY MAINT. MAN MOTA PUT EVERYTHING AWAY FOR ME.
HE EVEN WATCHED THE DUE BY DATES & PUT NEW STUFF IN THE BACK.
THEY DID A GREAT JOB.
I WON'T BE POSTING UNTIL MONDAY.
GIVING MYSELF 2 DAYS OF NOT USING MY SHOULDERS.
THIS INFLAMMATION IS SPREADING.
TIME FOR A REAL MELIDAY

WISHING YOU ALL A WONDERFUL WEEKEND.
SEE YOU WHEN I GET BACK!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Mel
Take all the time you need. Just don't forget about us.

Happy
Your salad sounded good. Since I've gotten older my veins roll around all over the place too. The last two times though the lab tech's have got my vein on the first try. I understand your grief.

It's been a beautiful day but I didn't get out or open a window. There was a plane busy in the sky so I thought they might be spraying the fields. It's that time of year again.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #156  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

I'm getting very tired of this site either booting me out or losing my posts. Makes me grumpy.

Where was I - oh yeah, back at the beginning again.

Ceejay - seems like the exercise is helping. I remember when I was doing a lot of exercise, the inches moved but I never lost much weight. Now I just have to get back to the rhythm of exercise again.
Glad you turned the girls down. Time they got to do things for themselves.

Laura - Navy Pier - I've been there. Not to a flower show though. I seem to remember some big sail ships out in the lake and a bunch of fast flying, low flying aircraft buzzing over us. Happy and her DH took me there on my first trip to the States.
Those deep and (supposedly) motivational discussions with the boss would make me want to retire early as well. Been there done that.

Annie - Well done on the exercise - keep it up. It does do wonders for the moods. You sound very upbeat today

Michelle - hope that test went okay. Seems that you are making progress as well. Hope that back and legs come right soon.

Happy - Turkey humping!!!! Well whatever floats your boat I guess. I was watching a program on tv this morning that was demonstrating your new toy. I would be very surprised if you and DH drive it like that! They had it literally bucking it's way down the track. Very small wheels tho'. It was a program on all the new boys toys now available from the US.

Mel - rest up the shoulder/ neck etc. Seems like we are all getting a bit old and not a lot wiser at the moment. I'm home in Brisbane next weekend so maybe the chat will be on then. Let me know.

As you probably worked out. I am in Darwin for the weekend. I have been to the markets, got the fruit and veg. Got some flowers - pink torch ginger, pink lilies, pink roses. On a pink roll.

Go home next weekend. Then I think there are a couple more trips home before I go home for good.
May will be Medical month for me. I have scheduled my tooth implant for 13th May. I have a dental appointment for the week before. Then I need to fit in some eyes, ears, skin scans and pap smear. It'll probably cost a bomb or two.

And that is about it. Prep is done for the next 3 meals. Tonight is bangers and mash with no mash, but some extra vegs. I was going to do mash, but the potatoes I bought are new baby ones, and they are too good to mash.
Unfortunately some of the fruit I bought doesn't taste that great (peaches with no flavour???) so they might get stewed up and used on breakfasts and with icecream or yoghurt or something. I love greek yoghurt. It is just about all you can get here now.

Okay - I'm off. Once the washer is done, I will go for a swim. Tomorrow I thought I might go out to Litchfield. Leave early get home dinner time or so. We'll see how the weather goes.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #157  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Todays happy thought...my son and ddil are asleep in the guest bedroom. They came in last night, we went to the movies to see Silver Lining or something like that..funny movie, we liked it. Of course C went to bed when we left for the movies. It does a momma's heart good when her kiddies are home safe in bed under my roof!

Gotta do some grocery shopping and a few errands today, visit dad, etc. Laundry is done! yah! Well except the bedsheets when baby boy leaves. Have a marvelous weekend all....
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #158  

Morning all. Forgot I had a hair appointment today, so no circuit class for me. I managed to run one errand before my appt & will do a couple more afterwards.

Gloomy & drizzly today, yuck. Glad tonight's plans have been cancelled. I finished season/series 1 of Monarch of the Glen, might get season 2.

The flower & garden show was fine. Got a few ideas. Let me see if I can post a photo from my phone. Back later or tomorrow for personals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.9 KB, 7 views)
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #159  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

We were out last night and it started snowing in the evening. Woke up to about 3 inches of the light fluffy stuff out there. Sun is shining brightly so I'm sure it will start to melt quickly. Sure do wish it would warm up already. I decided to sign up for an online course at the University that starts next week. They have several interesting courses on writing, getting published, writing to generate cash. I figured it would be something that was both informative and will keep the old brain active. Each course is only 6 weeks long so that's doable. This will make the 5th university that I've taken classes at - you think by now I'd have gotten some smarts

Laura - looks like a lovely wall of lettuces you have there Seems a bit early for the flowers to be blooming for a show, but how nice if they had lots of colors and blooms.

Annie - your post about DDIL and DS made me smile because I can see the same smile on my sweet Mom's face when I or Sis spend the night too. I hope they stay a bit for a a visit.

Shad - yes, I remember the lake cruise and the tall ships when you first came to visit us. Was a long time ago but doesn't seem like it. As for the new toy, yes it's quite powerful, can get up to speeds of 75mph which we will NEVER drive it at. I'm glad that DH is not a crazy young guy any more. Looks like it's at it's best on sand dunes which we don't have here but this was something very special for DH and I had my reasons for going along with it. He assured me it was practical for what we had in mind when we went shopping for a side by side. Those flowers sound very pretty - will dress up the flat I'm sure and make you smile. I hear you on the peaches - I often get fooled by beautiful peaches that turn out to be mealy and tasteless. I swear the ones from our state of Georgia are the best but you have to wait for a limited time to get them. Sounds like you have to get another contract on the side just to pay out for all the medical and dental costs I can't believe how much the implant is costing my BIL.

Anyway we have some errands to run today so I'd better finish the coffee and get moving.

Hellos to the rest of the Worldlies - hope you are resting comfortably Mel! Have a good weekend chicks.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #160  

Happy
Think you would do great in a writing course. Ugh on the 3 inches of snow. You seem to be coping well with it though.

Annie
Sounds like you had a fun night.

Laura
The flower garden show sounds interesting.

Shad
Wow, you do have a lot of appointment in May. Do you not have insurance to help cover those costs?

-----
It was a gorgeous day. I've been out in the sunshine. Raked out the flower bed. I've been thinking of getting some rose bushes or some kind of hedge to plant for a fence. Maybe it will stop the kids from going through the yard.
Also washed the car. Didn't go to the car wash today. I have things to do it with at home. Then took my neighbor out to eat later. She laid sideways in her seat and later told me she passed out. When ever I've passed out if I'm standing or sitting I've fell toward the front but mainly to the back. Think she was putting on. My best bet is not to ask her anywhere else again.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #161  
Choose your hard

Morning all,

Happy St. Paddies Day Hope you have luck the whole day through.

Late last night I decided to sign up for a second university class. I sure do hope I am not biting off more than I can chew. The first class looks pretty easy - not terribly interesting but I have to take it as a pre-requisite for another class that I am interested in. DH is debating about taking a photography course but is concerned about falling behind with the one week he might be out with his medical procedure. If all goes well he shouldn't really miss a beat and there is a 2 week grace period at the end of the class to finish up the open assignments and take the final exam. In any event these are continuing education classes so you don't have to be quite as rigid and perfect as you would if taking degree based classes. There's an art class, a music theory class and a conversational Spanish class (tho not sure where I'd get to practice that) which also look interesting for later on. It really is nice to have the freedom to do different things. I am most grateful for the peace I have now in my life. Wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world. As long as we have "enough" to get by comfortably and our health - that's all I ask. I think my sister is a bit stressed at times worrying that something bad will happen in the next 6 years to mess up their plans. Told her that you can't live your life worrying about stuff like that, just make a plan for the future and be prepared to sometimes have to shift up when you hit a bump in the road.

Last night I had a taste for pizza so we went out to a local place. DH and I like different pizza - I'm a sausage and mushroom, he's a sausage or pepperoni and green pepper guy. We both like extra cheese, he doesn't like crust. This particular place folds the crust over on the pizza instead of flat or rolled so he could eat the middle and I'm ok with the outer edge. Didn't make sense to get 2 small pizzas since he'd waste half not eating the outside of the crust. We were going to get a larger half and half pizza but then I realized the way we'd divy it up, it would be wasted and he wouldn't get much - the interior 1/2 that had the mushroom side he'd run screaming from So we opted for just extra cheese and sausage. He liked the extra cheesy pizza - I did not. It was disappointing to me. And I paid cash for this out of my savings / fun money wad so it felt even more like a waste. The first pizza we had there was much better than this one. I guess it's back to making our own again. If nothing else, at least we had a nice night out.

I talked to both my Mom and Sis yesterday, watched a little TV, decided on another writing class and that was about it for the evening. I'm going to have to go through my freezer and make a concentrated effort to use up stuff in there. We stopped at a local butcher shop that features fresh meat frozen into steaks and roasts and such. Picked up a few items and they are having a sale right now on pork. A half pig is about 90 pounds of meat. That's alot of packages to get in the freezer and no way would I have room for that. A half cow is 400 pounds DH did pick up some bacon and we fried up a few strips just to try it out - was delicious. We rarely eat bacon or hot dogs so I could see getting that as a treat. He also got a buffalo steak which is supposed to be really good. You just have to be mindful that it's very lean so you need to add some fat (like bacon wrapped filet which he likes) and cook it slow and low. It also needs to be cooked to a medium rare which is a little more rare than I like it so I'll try a bite of the outer edge of his steak and see how it is.

As we were eating dinner DH was lamenting that he has cut back on his portion sizes, cut out the snacks and is working outside (exercise) and is unable to lose any weight. Outside I was sympathetic but in my head I was like - does that make me an awful person? It's only that now he gets to see what we as ladies have struggled with all our life. And a bit of payback I admit for those comments long ago that "you just have to put your mind to it" (like it was just THAT easy) when a guy would fart and knock off 5 pounds.

My sister said she gave up sugared soft drinks for Lent. It's been about a month now and she hasn't lost an ounce which is very disappointing. One of her rules was that she could not substitute another high sugar drink for soda - ie. fruit juice or bottled drinks - she has learned to embrace unsweetened ice tea. I congratulated her - I know how difficult it can be although she said it got way easier after the first week and while she has cravings, they pass quickly. She is hoping to give them up for good and continue this trend. I think it's great - gives me some motivation to do the same although I know how defeated one can feel about not seeing any results from what should be a serious reduction in calories for the day.

More snow predicted for tomorrow. Bummer as we have to run some errands and be out in it. DH said the last bought was good packing but he never suggested a snowball fight

Ceejay - you sure do have some wild and crazy people as neighbors. I think sometimes they are trying to play you - good for you for not falling for their antics. I would probably be less prone to answer the door too. I loved the climbing rose bushes which bloom continuously from spring until autumn. They are well suited to your area and not as fussy as regular rose bushes. Without a fence tho I would be nervous planting anything so that the kids didn't walk through and break branches on the newly planted items. I hope you find something that works well for you.

Guess the rest of you Worldies are out at the parade or sleeping in or just having a nice Sunday to yourself. I think I'll go do a few housework things and then make a menu plan for the week. Not sure I can stretch it another week without going to the grocery store but maybe I can if I get creative. Enjoy your day...

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #162  

Happy
Think I would purposely throw a snow ball at DH. More exercise for him.
Good for you in adding some more classes. It's never to late to learn. Ah good ole Music Theory. Can still remember some of the stuff I learned from that class.

Yes, I have to agree with you that my neighbors, especially the one next door is trying to play me. She said that she took the opportunity to have the front and back yards mowed. It was dark both in the morning when I left and when I got home but I called her on it when Thursday came and the lawn in back and side lawn had not been touched. The side yard still hasn't been mowed. Told her I still couldn't afford to pay any one to do things for me.

-------
Got to work this morning and we have an insurance meeting Tuesday. There was an article in the paper about it and it seems that the city is going broke paying the premiums. 19 claims total more 10k,3 claims total more than 100k and one claim that was 1.0 million My insurance will be going up, and that was expected but those employee's who have families wife, husband, kids will not be covered. Only city employee's. That's going to hurt a lot of families.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #163  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good afternoon ladies -

I'm going to have to keep this short because I still have to work on my resume. Been a busy weekend. Friday, I went to the gym and worked out on the recumbent stepper for 1/2 hour; then went grocery shopping. Saturday, I met with the Zumba teacher who will now be my wellness coach for the next 10 or so weeks until I move. The wellness coaching is a free service that my Y provides. This woman is a wonderful, compassionate and caring individual, and she is a great coach/personal trainer and instructor. I didn't have time after the meeting to work out...so I went back to the gym later (it's nice that I now live closer than I did). After that, I did laundry. And my roommate and I went out that evening. Today, I took Santa to a doggy playdate. It was fun. There were roughly 10 other dogs there of various breeds and sizes. He had a good time and so did I. Now it's resume time.

I'm not looking forward to the 1" to 3" of snow predicted for tomorrow. I'm so over with winter. All the more incentive to write a stellar resume so I can get a great job in CA!

I'll do personals later. I want to update my resume first.

Much love,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #164  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Afternoon all,
Saturday night we had the most awesome lightning show ever. The clouds were all shades of the rainbow and the lightning moved across the sky lighting them all up bit by bit. Lasted about 1 hour before the rain came in and washed it all away.

Yesterday I wandered down to Litchfield National Park. It has some awesome waterfalls and cascades. I'll try and put some pictures up tonight if I can. Don't bet on it as I have some work to do tonight. Good day, although it would have been better if I had have left earlier and got there earlier as some of the 'walks' were moderately HARD. Still I probably walked about 10km for the day.
Drove at 130Km just because I was allowed to! Yeehaa. However you get so used to that speed, that it is difficult to drive slowly again.

Saw lots of little kangaroos on the way down there. Not so many on the way back. Think it was nap time for them at that stage. They are generally only active early morning and evenings.

Back later with some personals - time to get on with the going home thing - if I can sneak out of here before someone sees me
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #165  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Good Morning Everyone.
Looks Like It Will Be A Few More Days Before I Come Back.
Healing But Very Slowly. Storms Are Not Helping At All! Lol
Hope You All Have A Great Week.
Sorry For The Absence.
Stay Well And Be Happy

Last edited by MELODY525; 03-18-2013 at 07:29 AM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote