Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnollias #41

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, NO wind, and it's a cold 12 degrees in my neighborhood. It has warmed up from 6 degrees when I went downstairs this morning. I have no plans for the day except laundry, afghan, and maybe venture out for a wedding gift.

"Gma" -- You two were up bright and early this morning! I'm glad the new shampooer works so well. I bought already made ham loaf mix from the meat counter, added eggs, bread crumbs, and a little milk. I made a glaze of brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard to pour over the top and baked it. It's a lot like meat loaf except it's ham. I hope Jack is able to fix your garage door. Have fun at Kelly's tonight!

I hear the dryer buzzing so need to start another load. I start another week of cat chores tomorrow and the couple should be home next weekend. Have a relaxing Saturday and enjoy!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday ~ Chilly This Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is currently 18º at 10 am as I type. ~ AH ~ the weather forecast says we are going to get more snow tomorrow evening bringing 9 – 12 inches of it. Let it come for the land will get a wonderful drink from the moisture. This last storm brought us 17 inches of snow which translates to 1¾ inches of water. Since the walk to the street from our front door was cleaned it was easy to walk out there and get into the Jeep yesterday afternoon. We went for a lovely ride about and visited the buffalo and then to I-Hop for a burger; so needless to say I didn’t cook last evening. Later in the evening we did watch a couple of movies and had a sf ff root beer float ~ yummy. Life is good.

The magazine cook book Will brought me yesterday is the WW winter edition of 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Recipes,115 everyday recipes w/Mac & Cheese on the front. There are lots of yummy recipes in it that I plan to try, one day, after turning the pages slowly and reading some of the ingredients. For instance “Roasted Pears w/ Orange-Caramel Sauce” ~ doesn’t that sound yummy for dessert for only 4 P+ on page 83. Or “Blue Cheese Burgers” on page 56 for 8 P+ and “Warm Sour Cream & Green Onion Potato Salad on page 64 for 3 P+. Not all at the same meal unless you have a mind to ~ but just as a sample. Well they do say on the front that they are their “best comforting winter minus, dinners, desserts, and more!” Don’t we all just love “comfort” foods. I know I do and have learned to like the lightened versions. I am back into a nice pair of jeans I grew out of a few pounds ago and they don’t even fit tight around the middle. I found them in the back of my closet on a hanger and decided to give them a try ~ sure put a smile on my face. Thanks to the WW program being the best there is. : I wonder if the snow does come, “as they say”, if WW will be cancelled Monday evening. They had to cancel the meeting in that neighboring town they go to on Wednesdays during the last storm. I will get an e-mail from the leader if they do end up cancelling. Will has a committee meeting he is to attend at the museum also on Monday evening and that too will probably be cancelled if the snow comes. And the beat goes on.

Cecil ~ just came in with snow all over him. Must have been out there frolicking and now wants to be petted. A wet cat. I wasn’t quick enough to get a picture of him with snow on his head. He and Beanie are so cute frolicking in it out back. I never saw a cat and dog get along as well as those two do. When the cat is drinking water Beanie waits patiently till he is through before he takes a drink.

JEAN Thanks for starting a fresh thread. Your "Ham Loaf" sounds yummy. Is the ham ground up like beef and sold just plain without any seasonings? I'll have Will take a look for it in the market for I will surely try it. I am always looking out for a new yummy recipe. I imagine that afgan will look lovely when you get it finished. That is really nice of you to do cat chores for folks who are going out of town so they don't have to leave them at the vet.

DONNA FAYE What a neat thing to get a new carpet shampooer. Your garage door has a mind of its own and has gotten sleepy. Closes part way like an eyelid. Hopefully Jack can fix it up like it is supposed to work. Have a great time at Kelly's this evaning and enjoy that BBQ.

Yack at y’all later ~ have a wonderful day.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cloudy "cool" day in my neighborhood but NO wind again today. We do have fog though. Bob ushered this morning, then we had a quick Administrative Council meeting right after first service, and finally we drank coffee while visiting until the baked potato dinner started at 11. We were on our way and home before noon.

Maggie -- Your new cookbook sounds interesting. I don't think there is such a thing as a 15 minute recipe, at least not in my kitchen. The ham recipe from Bob's mom had equal parts of ground pork and ham in it. The last time I ordered it, the meat guy said that is the same mixture as our ham loaf. I decided to try that this time and couldn't tell any difference. It looked like paprika was sprinkled on the top, and I do think there might be some spices like clove in it but not sure. The cat couple will be home next weekend after being gone for 2 months. The gal who did chores last week said Boomer, the cat, is so lonely. That's why I sit with her and watch tv for awhile.

I need to go do my cat chores and work on the afghan. I hope to get that done this week so I can deliver it! Hope you all are having a relaxing day and enjoying it.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #4  

Good morning girls! It is sunny here today but we are expecting rain and thunderboomers today sometime. Our car is filthy, but we can't seem to have two days in a row runny and I am not paying nearly $20 for one day of clean car.

Jack lubricated the screw drive and it said to open and lower the garage door 4-5 times to get the lubricant all over the screw, well it blew up the motor so we have to get a whole new garage door opener. The old and original one, which was over 30 years old was a chain drive, but the consensus among the garage opener companies is to buy a belt drive so we are going to go Friday and buy one and make an appt to have it installed. Jack installed one once, but he said it always rocked back and forth and he isn't doing it again so Lowes will install it. He can't get off until next week though and wants to be here so we will wait until Friday. Until then, we have to park on the side street because the opener won't let us manually open the garage door. It is always something.

We had a grand time at Kelly's and laughed until tears ran playing a game. Have you ever heard of Apples to Apples? It is a game much like that. Jack was hilarious. It is a card game. You have a stack of subject cards for lack of better words, for example, "Justin Bieber's hair sticks up because...." Then you are each dealt 10 cards with sayings or words on them and you have to pick the best match or the funniest or whatever. The object is to get your card picked. If your card is picked you keep the subject card and when you have the number of subject cards the group agreed would make you a winner then you win. The cards in your hand could say cupcake frosting or never washes his hair or things that make no sense at all for the subject. You take turns reading the subject and the cards out loud. Jack would get so tickled reading the answers he couldn't read them out loud and then we would all start laughing and there you go. We played for 3 hours and it was a lot of fun. We bought Showboat bbq for dinner and she made brownies.

I am down 4 lbs since the doctor last wednesday and my weigh day so I will definitely take that. We are going to have something simple tonight, hamburger gravy, mash potatoes and veggie.

Maggie: Those recipes sound really good. Boy, you do have a whopping amount of snow. I sure hope it doesn't dump too much more on you. I guess we get the rain part of the snow you guys get since it is warmer down here. I know Indiana was supposed to get hit with another storm this week too.

Jean: I don't remember, did you say you have the afghan all done now? I have about 5 inches then I can do the armpit decreases. This is just the back then I have to do the front. It is taking awhile, but I have several months to get it finished. I am sure Boomer is going to be happy to have his owners back home. I am already stressing about Fortune being at the vet for our vacation. He will be there 12 days since we are leaving Thursday instead of Friday to head to Florida. We are going to make it a 3 day drive going down instead of two then two day drive coming home. The ham loaf sounds good, but I have never seen it sold here anywhere. I have see ground pork you can buy, but not ground ham.

Well girls, I better get to my chores. I woke up at midnight last night and stayed up until 4 AM so I slept in this morning and haven't gotten a thing done except to feed the dog. and start a load of laundry. Have a great start to the week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is currently 28º and snowing. It is said that it will snow all day and give this area another 1 to 2 inches. However, the beat goes on for the dogs are at the groomer and that is good for they really need a bath ~ especially Beanie. Cecil and I are alone in the house and he is sticking real close to me. Something went crash in the night and it sounded like it was out in the kitchen area. First Ragg Mopp started barking at 3 am and woke me up. I was trying to listen and hear what he heard and then a bit of a sliding noise got louder and “crash.” I guess some snow slid off the roof or something of that sort because we didn’t find anything inside that had landed on the floor as if the cat had knocked something off the table or counter. But the cat was still in the bedroom. Anyway the crash was so loud it sounded like it was inside. Ah, things that go bump in the night.

I weighed in on my scale and stayed the same for it didn’t budge from its position of last week. I’ll take that for I do believe my body is taking a breather then will go on down the hill and start losing the last half of what I set out to lose. I won’t be attending WW this evening because Will has a very important meeting at the same time that he must attend. They may still yet today end up cancelling the WW meeting for the evening because of the snow.

There is a deep ditch with sloping sides that runs through the area which is there for “run off” purposes. It is filled with snow and kids are having a blast sledding down the sides of that ditch. That is so neat that they have that to play on because there aren’t very many hills around here in the “flat lands.”

My eyes have sure been itching ~ some winter allergy. They aren’t dry but they sure itch. I have some “Clear Eyes” that is supposed to relieve the itch and it sure does. This particular bottle is the "7 symptoms relief ~ complete.” One bottle to do all.

DONNA FAYE They don't make things to last as long anymore as the old methods did in lots of products it seems. Ergo your garage opener. It is definitely better to get it fixed than parking on the street especially in your neighborhood. on your weight loss ~ you are getting there for sure to be down some before your next cruise.

Yack at y’all later.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a gloomy, foggy day in my neighborhood and the wind is blowing again. It's not a nice day to stand outside to visit with a neighbor! I stayed a little longer at church this morning; contribution envelopes are marked with a member's number so the name comes up when I enter the number on the computer. Several of our members do not use their weekly envelopes so I went through them to cross off the numbers. They either give once a month or some not at all. We put generic envelopes in the pews for those who wish to put in cash and get credit. I picked up the gift shop money but haven't counted it yet. I've been to do cat chores and have a load of undies in the washer. Bob has a meeting at 5, with food, so won't see him until later.

"Gma" -- on losing another 4#s! Way to go! I'm sorry about the garage door opener; what a pain to not be able to park in your driveway! No, the afghan is not done but I am working on the edge going around it so it won't be long. When I have special ordered meat for the ham balls, they take a ham and grind it to go with the ground pork. Have you asked Kelly if she would keep Fortune? Perhaps Thomas would be willing to dogsit and take care of him.

Maggie -- No snow here . . . yet. Noises in the night don't very often wake me up but we live in a pretty quiet area. Since the "boys" sleep in the basement I think they do sleep until they here my footsteps going downstairs and then they want OUT for breakfast. Hope your itchy eyes feel better. I have that when I handle the cats and then rub my eyes. After all these years I don't do it often but when I do I pay for it dearly.

I need to get my gift shop money counted and ready for the bank first thing in the morning. Hope you all have had a good day and enjoy your evening!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. It rained here pretty hard last evening and was still at it at midnight when I got up with the dog and let him out. It is wet outside so it must have continued for awhile. It isn't really cold out though. I wear a sweater in the house most of the time in the winter and keept the temp at 69 unless I am freezing. I will sure be glad when we turn the corner to spring temps that's for sure. I am ready to wear sandals.

I made up my cleaning list for today. I am going to get everything done but the sweeping and mopping today. I am a bit tired as Fortune was a bit antsy again last night and that wakes me up and then it takes awhile for me to go back to sleep, but if I find I am getting sleepy I can always nap for abit.

I should get my new shoes today. I hope they fit. Land's End was having a sale and I bought a pair of the loafer style driving shoes and a pair of the canvas slip ons. I don't usually buy that type of shoe as I am flat footed so I tend to walk on the inside of my foot making a shoe like the canvas ones bow out so to speak. We shall see. My sister swears by the ones she buys, which are Toms I think. I got two pair of shoes for under $50, which isn't bad and the driving shoes are tan suede. The canvas are blue and white nautical stripes. I want them just to wear casually like to the store or something. My Easy Spirit shoes are wearing out.

Jean: Our church in Indiana would assign envelopes, but only to people who regularly gave because of the expense. If you only gave once a month or less then they didn't issue you numbers. We too had envelopes to put checkes in and such on the back of the pews. Living in the condo, we don't actually have a driveway. You pull into your garage straight from the street and they will tow you if you park in front of your garage or park in the extra spaces on the property if you haven't purchases a parking space. They want almost $150 for the darn things. It is just ridiculous to live here. No, we decided not to ask Kelly regarding Fortune. We don't want her to feel obligated to do it since they no longer have a dog. If she offers we will take her up on it, otherwise he will go to the vets. The one nice thing they are willing to do is put him in the treatment area instead of back in the kennels as it is quiet up front so won't cause him distress. I had to change his food again and he loves the Cesar brand stuff so he will probably eat ok. I give him two at once and he just scarfs it right up. It has a large variety to pick from to so he doesn't get bored with it. Hopefully, he will still be like that in October. Unlike Petsmart, the vet lets you bring his personal stuff like his stuffed elephant to put in the cage with him and you can bring his own food, which Petsmart doesn't allow.

Maggie: I have all year allergies that can drive me nuts at times. Mainly it is that I always have a clear runny nose. I have to keep tissues with me all the time. I have noticed the last couple days my eyes are itching and am wondering if the trees and bushes are getting buds and ready to flower. Speaking of that, I read the best murder mystery in which the woman who started at the suspect was a beekeeper. I sure learned a lot about beekeeping. It was a fun book and interesting to learn something new too.

I guess I need to get started on chores and work more on my sweater. Have a great Tuesday all. Faye
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another foggy day in my corner of the world. It's a damp chilly feeling outside. This morning I made the bank deposit, ran a couple errands, and dropped checks off at the hospital on my way home. This afternoon I've been to do cat chores, vacuumed fur bunnies (spring must be coming the way the "boys" are shedding), and have been working on the afghan.

"Gma" -- I'm anxious for some no heat/no air days! I hope Kelly offers to keep Fortune for your peace of mind and his comfort. I'm glad he likes his new food. It sounds like the vet tries to be accommodating for the animals. There is "pet hotel" in Sioux City where the rooms have tvs, couches, etc. I have no idea what they charge and found out about it when Beth hosted homes during a Christmas Tour. The house where she hosted put their dogs up in the hotel during the week of the open house. I hope the new shoes fit and you like them.

It's almost time to make my weekly call to my "mom," and think about something for supper. Maybe it will be Bob's night to cook! Enjoy your evening!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #9  

Good morning flowers. It is cool this morning after being pretty cold last evening and heavy winds. It is supposed to be sunny for several days now, but it isn't going to warm up much.

I have started a load of laundry, fed and watered the dog and will unload the dishwasher when I am through here. Today is upstairs chore days, which I always hate, but they have to be done.

I received my shoes yesterday and they fit fine. I especially like the driving mocs. They will be nice to wear while in the car going on trips especially. The little canvas ones are a bit scratchy but they fit fine. I am sure they will be ok after a bit of wear. They have a nice rubber sole on them.

I bought more beads to make another Pandora style bracelet for vacation. I have a blue one, pink one, and purple one and bought beads and charms to make a yellow one. I love wearing the things and they are sure a lot cheaper to put them together when stuff is on sale then buying Pandora or other brands already made. They jewelry store on sale wants $20 a bead and they are the same beads for heaven's sake. I bought a bunch of beads for my pink and purple bracelets to fill them out as I bought new heavier bracelets than what they were on. I also got longer chains so they fit me better so I needed more beads to fill them out. I usually order from a company called Pugster.com and bought about 30 beads, spacers and charms and only paid $1.59 for them each. So, I found they were having a spring sneak peek sale yesterday and bought enough beads and charms and spacers for the yellow bracelet for the $1.59 each plus a coupon for buy one get one free so I really had a deal there. I still have to buy another bracelet to put them on, but will keep an eye out for sales on snake chains, which is what I buy.

The place I bought my dresses for the cruise last year has some beautiful new fabrics so closer to the trip I think I may just buy some of their stuff as it is cheaper, very comfortable and they have a lot of tropical things this year. I am also going to get some of their new fabric tops. They have some cute stuff.

Jean: The one thing nice about this Cesar brand of food is they have tons of selections so I can buy him lots of different taste combinations. They are .67 at the commissary and .75 at Kroger. I buy two cartons per day for him. It is nice to seem him go right for it and eat not go and sniff it and walk away and not eat for 3-4 days, which means three or four days of no kidney meds as it is powder. Petsmart has suites that are not cages, but rooms and they have tvs in them and pillows, and have a full length door with just a window at the top, but he didn't like them any better and the last time we took him which was at least 5 years ago, it was $35 a day, he had to eat their food, and I had to pay extra for them to come in and play or sit with him everyday. I am letting his hair grow out and I am finding another groomer so that cost will probable almost double compared to the vet, but the groomer was lousey and I am tired of paying for him to be groomed and not being happy with it. Last time, his ears were dirty and the hair not even shaped.

I guess I should get going and round up stuff to pay the bills. Hope you all have a great middle of the week. Faye
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Windy Wendsday

This is a partly cloudy 35º day here in the ♥-Land and windy ~ but when isn’t the wind blowing here. We didn’t get that snow storm they were talking about ~ evidently it missed us completely and got blown away. I burned the roof of my mouth and it is so hurtful. I do like my coffee hot and it is rare that I ever burn myself. And my eyes itch and burn from rubbing them in the night from whatever it was the wind brought with it. I gave them a nice wash with Clear Eyes and they will settle down now. Other than that I feel great and my shower this morning felt so good I wanted to stay and enjoy the worm water in that rain locker.

We have a container of “Pounce ~ tuna flavor moist treats” for Cecil and he absolutely loves them. He always gets a treat when the dogs do and sometimes in-between ~ these are his favorite.

The time had come where I was planning to make a fresh loaf of sourdough bread yesterday and my little bread maker was not working properly. I had it set to mix the dough and it wouldn’t co-operate and I had to do it by hand. I think it has been used so much I wore it out. Anyway it is time to get another one and I want one just like it. The round loaf of sourdough bread I made did turn out lovely looking anyway. I have yet to try a piece. I was thinking of making some lasagna noodles today but that is now on hold until I get a new bread machine so it can mix up the dough for the noodles. I have a good WW recipe that is 5P+ per serving and I imagine how great it would taste with homemade noodles. I do have dough hooks for my hand held mixer but I would rather not use that for mixing the dough for the noodles ~ I would rather the bread machine do the mixing for it does it so well. I should be able to order one the first of the month coming up with my “allowance.”

DONNA FAYE Isn't it wonderful when you order things that the do fit when you get them. Enjoy your new shoes with happy feet. Sounds like you have a bracelet for each color that would go with every outfit that you have. Jelery is fun isn't it. Graceous sakes what a lousy groomer for your dear little pooch who will get a better one now. We are fortunate to have a wonderful lady to do our dogs. She does a lot of this same breed and everyone is so pleased with her work. I am glad she has her daughter in with her now and she is getting some good training so when "mom" retires the transition for the dogs will be an easy one. Hoepfully you can find a groomer that you are satisfied with the results. Isn't it nice to have found a brand of food that your little guy likes so well and he can have his meds each day.

JEAN How is your fog today? Has it disapated any. I don't like fog ~ had enough of it living on the ocean front. It sure made my hair curley. It is so nice that you and your friends exchange cat chores. Sure makes it easier on their "parents" to know that the cat is well taken care of and not just in a cage somewhere. Our groomer has a play room for the cat and a dog run for the dogs to frolick in. They won't put Cecil in with Ragg Mopp & Beanie though ~ liability I guess if something happened to the cat for they have their rules to keep dogs & cats separated. Can't blame then for that though. They feed the animals the same kind of food there that we give them here. The cats you baby sit get their own food there ~ it is so important that that happens ~ something they are used to.

Oh ~ the wind.
Yack at y’all later.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! We started the day with the usual wind and clouds. The sun did come out late this afternoon, about an hour before it slid down the horizon. I was busy in the gift shop this morning which was a nice change. The volunteer director treated me, and another volunteer, to lunch in the cafeteria. Hmm, hmm good! One of the choices was chicken-ka-bobs with some kind of spaghetti noodles and a choice of mixed vegetables or cauliflower with cheese sauce. I chose cauliflower but passed on the cheese part. There were several choices for desserts and again I passed. One was an Oreo cheesecake that was at least 4" high. They always have a huge salad bar too. After lunch we met with the accountant to see if we could figure out a simpler way to track credit card charges in the gift shop which are rung up in the coffee shop. That is a challenge for me, and not so sure of the new idea will be any better. I wanted to call Bob regarding lunch and my cell phone was deader than dead, which has been happening more frequently lately. So we met and went phone shopping this afternoon; I was due for an upgrade and decided to stay with pretty much the same phone I had, a dumb one not a smart one. My cat chores ended today because the cat's parents would be home tonight. One of the other sitters is a personal friend and was taking food out for the couple so did the chores today.

"Gma" -- Your bracelets sound very pretty. The church secretary made one for Valentine's Day and I helped her put it on. She had it pretty tight so it was hard to hook but I like my bracelets a bit looser. I hope you can find a new groomer. I'm sure you want Fortune to look as handsome as possible. That's like us getting a bad haircut.

Maggie -- I hope your mouth is feeling better tonight. I'm thinking I read a hint about that somewhere but can't remember it right now. I wonder if your bread machine is related to my cell phone! I hope you can find one just like it. Nope, no fog today, just clouds and wind.

I am heading to bed to read for a bit. I ended up finally going to bed about 1 last night and then didn't go right to sleep. I hate watching the clock so try not to look at it! Hope you all have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 02-27-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking

I am so tired of winter. But I imagine I am not alone in this feeling. Think of blue skies, flowers booming and the grass is green. We still have to get though March which can be pretty messy but I can deal for that is what we are about. Dealing with whatever it is that is coming our way. Good morning on this 30 some degree day here in the ♥-Land. I hope your day is going well with you. I slept late and my day is just beginning. I have on a pink oxford cloth button down loose shirt on and a pair of black pants and am feeling good. The roof of my mouth is just about back to exact and my coffee is tasting great.

I have a recipe for pork chops with lightened gravy that is good and only 6 points + that I am going to try for dinner this day. Here it is:

PORK CHOPS w/GRAVY ~ LIGHTENED
1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon butter
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, salt, dried marjoram, dried thyme, and dried rubbed sage in a shallow dish. Dredge pork in flour mixture, turning to coat; shake off excess. Reserve remaining flour mixture.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Reduce heat, and cook for 10 minutes or until done, turning pork once. Remove pork from pan; keep warm.

Combine reserved flour mixture and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add milk mixture to pan; place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Serve with chops.

Serves 4
Cal. 252; Fat 9.6; Carbohydrates 10.6; Fiber 0.3; Protein 28.9; 6Points+

Now that sounds like a yummy recipe ~ I just received it this day from the MyRecipes.com folks in an e-mail and will make it this evening and serve it along with some rice, vegetables & sour dough toast. They also said that the gravy recipe in it would be good for other meats and I am thinking boneless chicken breast tenders.

JEAN Sounds like that hospital has a good chef working for them for that food sounds yummy. It is good that you got a phone that your familiry with and works for you. I am thinking of down sizing from my Blackberry for I certainly do not make enough calls to warrant having one that does so much. The internet and ease of conversing with folks that way has pretty much taken the place of a phone or letter writing these days. I need a phone but not such a grand one. I have had it for a few years now and the newness has completely worn off for me. I am due for a change and down size. Chef's Catalog sells a bread machine just like the one I used up. In fact I think I got it from them before. They have that very one plus a bigger model made by the same folks which is Zojirushi ~ now say that quickly 10 times.

Have a great day Magnolias
Old 02-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Another gloomy, damp chilly, day in my neighborhood. I've spent the day putzing: sorting magazines and catalogs, dusted, and finished a book to return to the library. I didn't go to WW and have no excuse other than the time slipped by and I wasn't paying attention. I have got to get serious about working the program!

Maggie -- The recipe sounds good, let us know how it comes out. I am ready for spring too! More and more the powers-to-be are predicting a very dry summer here. The farmers are getting rid of livestock thinking they won't be able to afford to feed them. I debated about a smart phone but prefer "simple." Even though my new one is similar to my old one, some of the things are in a different set up/order. It will take me awhile to get used to it.

I need to think about something for supper -- maybe soup, or whatever sounds good to Mr. B. Enjoy your evening!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #14  

Evening ladies. The yorkie has been driving me nuts all day today not letting me anywhere near a computer without barking and whining at me. He is to the point where he is making be a bit angry. I try to be understanding as he is 13 but sometimes I just want to sit by myself and read or whatever I want to do without him in my lap. Jack hightailed it upstairs to his office so I am now stuck with him this evening too. He has been this way for about 4 days now and I am finally at my wits end. I got mad at him and told him to go get on his pillow. He has finally gotten the hint and gotten up on the couch, but the minute I finish here he will jump down and come and jump into my lap.

I got my pap results yesterday and they are a-ok and am waiting for my blood test results. The doctor's nurse hasn't called me so I am assuming everything checked out ok as the tests were done over a week ago and usually if something comes up I get a call a couple days after I have blood tests done.

I am reading a cute, cute book I got free for the Kindle/Iphone at Amazon.
Scared Hitless (The Lemon Drop Martini Club) by Carolyn Anderson Jones. They are a group of 3 senior ladies that are friends and get themselves in trouble a lot. I am a big fan of Nora Roberts pseudonym
J. D. Robb and her "In Death" series. She just came out on the 26th with the newest in the series Calculated in Death and I read the thing almost in one sitting. They are great books and very interesting and fun even if they are about a futeristic lady cop in NYC who solves homicides.

I was really sick this morning with a tummyache and sort of pukey feeling. Don't know what that was about, but it eventually went away. I have been achy today though with the hands, knees and shoulders. This cold, damp weather is doing me in. It was so cold Jack wore the Boise hat I made for him to and from work today.

Tomorrow we go and pick out the garage door opener and set up the install time. I know Jack will be glad about that since he has to park on the side street. He has just been working so hard with the installers of this huge Emerson equipment out at the plant that he doesn't want to take off work at the moment so he won't get backed up.

Maggie: Thanks for the recipe. One of the things I like to do is take a couple cans of fat free beef broth and pour in about 1/8 c of dried onions and stick a pork tenderloin or a couple chops in the crockpot and cook it. Jack loves it that way and all I do is thicken the broth with a bit of flour and water or cornstarch and water if need be, but usually it cooks down nicely. I do that rather then add onion soup mix to cut down on the sodium as I use low sodium broth. I got my yellow bead grouping and am excited to get a bracelet to put them on. I went with gold tone spacers and such and bought a couple real cute ones. I buy two of each and then work from both ends to the middle. One of the spacers I bought are these cute goldtone cupcakes. I bought a sailboat that dangles and a heart that dangles too. I am signed up for their emails so everytime they have a big sale I get an email and I go and get more beads and such in a different color. When you pay over $100 for Pandora bracelet and I can get the same look for about $30 and I get to pick the beads, what's not to like about that?

Jean: Your lunch sounded good. We had ham slice and rice a roni for dinner tonight or Jack did. I just took a piece of the ham and made a sandwich out of it. I had to at your dumb one phone. I have to say, I kicked and screamed about buying an Iphone, but we are into our 3rd year with ours and I love mine. It was easy for me to catch onto, I can do a lot of stuff with it and some of my aps are absolute necessities. I have a couple knitting aps that are wonderful. One can figure out how to decrease or increase evenly if you put in the number of stitches you want to increase or decrease and the total number of stitches. It figures out how to do it evenly across the row. One of the other ones I have has a bunch of videos on how to do some things I forget all the time like how to knit or purl into the back of the stitch, stuff like that. The other one I have is a counter so I can keep track of rows or stitches or whatever. I use that one all the time. For example with this sweater. I am supposed to knit the sweater up to 14 1/2 inches so I am counting the rows so when I do the front I will have the exact same number of rows as the back instead of measuring and possibly being off a bit. I have put the knitting down for a couple days because the cold weather is making my hands hurt.

Well, I have to give it up and go get in my chair sooner or later. I hope you all have a lovely evening. Faye
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #15  

Just a quick peek in since I posted last evening. Nothing much happening this morning though it is another chilly morning here.

We will be out and about this afternoon getting the garage door thing solved then grab a bite to each and back home. I have a hair appt at 11 tomorrow morning and Jack wants to redo the carpet in the dining room since I spot cleaned it this morning. We think the last couple times we used the old machine, it dumped the water into the rug but didn't take it all out so we are trying to get the rugs all cleaned really well.

Saw some interesting things online this morning, an 11 year old boy addressing the Dallas city council and calling them on the carpet when members weren't paying attention to the questions he was asking. A woman here in Tennessee got sent a bill for $5 for using a restaurant restroom when the sign said customers only. The problem with this, the sheriff was a friend of the owners and ran the woman's plates so she could have an address to send the bill. The woman tried to pay the thing. I would have told her to stick it frankly and probably would have gone three rounds with the sheriff and the mayor's office for allowing her privacy to be invaded when it wasn't a city illegality involved. I know that with my problems, sometimes I have to take the first thing we can find if we are traveling and though I wouldn't have a problem ordering a soda or something, the fact she got the address illegally gauls me.

I finished my book this morning and will probably work on the sweater since my hands are hurting as much.

You all have a nice weekend. It is commissary weekend for us so you know I am looking forward to that. Faye