Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking March Is Here

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is a new month now called March the windy month (what’s new) and a very cool morning of 17º and foggy at least till noon they say. I have some cleaning of the house to do this day and am going to get to it when I finish this post. I ordered my new bread machine this morning and will get it a few days. I love that they are not charging any shipping charges for that cuts a chunk off the price on something heavy. Chefs® Catalog has been having that “no shipping charges” going for a long while now and it sure saves the customer money. If any of you want to see what that bread machine looks like you can see it on their web site ~ www.chefscatalog.com and it is the Zojirushi Home Bakery Mini Bread Maker. That way you can take a peek at what I just ordered. I like this model because it makes a smaller horizontal loaf than the bigger model but still has a lot of good features. I remember my very first bread machine was a Panasonic and cost a bundle back then and the store owner wanted me to demonstrate it at the local fair since it was such a new appliance. A nice fresh loaf of bread sure makes a good gift and I love to gift people ~ puts a smile on their faces. I can add lots of fiber bringing down the points+ value when I bake it myself.

DONNA FAYE It will be great when you do get that new garage door opener installed and working and can park inside instead on the street. What a relief that will be I imagine. Our dogs wanted out at 2 am this morning. I hope this doesn’t become a routine thing with them for it messes with our sleep. They usually last the night trough until “getting up” time rolls around and the back door is opened. We shall see what transpires from here on in about that. I like cooking with broth also. I use it "instead" in several things I make for it is sure a good points+ saver.

JEAN That is too bad about the ranchers having to downsize because of the weather. The beef will glut the market then prices will go way up afterward when there isn't so much. Cecil gives me the outside temp on his fur when he comes in. Right now he greeted me and his hair is very cold and his ears are also so cold. He was yammering at me and I thought he wanted the bedroom door open but when I got up to do that I saw that Ragg Mopp was on the bed sound asleep. Cecil thinks that is "his" bed during the day. Too bad for him for that is a king size bed and surely big enough for the both of those animals.

Have a great frist of the new Month day ~ good day for a beginning of a new habbit that is helpful to our weight loss efforts.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-01-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #17  

Good Evening, Flowers! I stopped by to read and never posted earlier today. It was another gloomy, windy, and cold day around here. I went to the grocery store this morning and it was quite busy which is unusual for as early as I was there. I asked the checker if there was a storm in the forecast that I missed, and she didn't know either. This afternoon I worked on the afghan and did a couple loads of laundry. Even though the washer and dryer save a lot of time, doing laundry still takes time!

"Gma" -- I hope your garage door is on the way to being fixed by now. Bob had a spring break on his -- what a noise when that happened! The story about the woman being charged for using the restroom was on our news too. We've stopped at gas stations/convenience stores for the same purpose but always buy a drink or snack. I feel sorry for the lady!

Maggie -- It sounds like the jet stream is going to hit this weekend bringing snow, but no one seems to know how much. I'd just like to see the sun for a whole day, or two, or three! I had to laugh at RM on Cecil's bed. I couldn't find Sonny yesterday and he was on our bed with Ernie, which was a first. He doesn't get up on the furniture so I was surprised! I will check out the bread machine website, thanks!

We have a funeral tomorrow morning for a 97 year old man from our church. He was such a nice all around gentleman kind of guy. His wife died a few years ago; she was in a nursing home in a nearby town and he went to see her every day even though she didn't know him any more.

Hope you all have a relaxing Saturday and enjoy!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #18  

Good morning to you all. We have no ground cover, but snow on the rooftops, garbage can lids, that sort of thing and it is cold here this morning.

I have a hair appt at 11 today and Jack is going to be waiting for a garage guy. Jack is not your basic handyman sort of husband so really doesn't know a lot about things that break or fixing things. We always have to hire someone. Well, his boss told him to check the spring before we went out to buy a new garage door opener because to him, it sounded like the spring had broken, especially since we couldn't manually open the door and bingo that is what it is. I called the management company for the condos and they refuse to fix it. They said they are only responsible for the door not any fixtures connecting to the door. Bunch of jerks. I find this new management company hinky. I think it is the home owners association that is their own management company now. They have no physical address, only a PO box, it is called "Community Management" but that isn't in the phone book or internet anywhere and all you have for repairs is a phone number or email. On top of that, when I called them, it was answered, "This is Jerry." What professional company would answer their phones that way. I give up on them. Jack was furious, but I told him we can't make them do anything so we will just have to pay for it ourselves. The guy who is coming out quoted us between $165 and $190 and he was even willing to come out yesterday afternoon but we were going to be gone so he is coming out this morning. We don't have a home warranty at the moment, but considering this crappy home owners association, I am thinking I am going to call and get one again just so most everything is covered. They aren't doing squat on the property anymore either and you can sure tell. It is like living in the ghetto. Unfortunately, we just can't afford a bigger house payment to go out and look to buy somewhere else. If we tried to sell this, the amount of work we would have to do first, would put us more into it that it is worth so we are staying put unless some relative would die and make us rich. Sometimes I think we should have just stayed where we were and rented from the old couple, but if they had died then most likely we would have ended up homeless because their kids would have sold their properties.

Jean: It did make a lot of noise, but we thought it needed lubrication and I know the spring hadn't broken when we first started it all because when I went online to look at what to do, they said to check the spring and it was all in one piece. It isn't now though!! I don't know about you, but I am fed up with the cold and want spring to come roaring in. So far, it hasn't!

Maggie: It seems like it is just like everything else, less farm products bigger costs. I can't believe how costs have skyrocketed lately in the grocery stores. Your doggies are young so they can hold it better than old Fortune.

I better go and get breakfast so I can get ready to go to the salon. Have a great day all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Cloudy Chilly Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is 25º and cloudy and feels like 18º here it in the ♥-Land. It is chilly for sure around this place. We have found that we can eat out at I-Hop cheaper than we can fix a meal at home. On the back of the grocery print out at the cash register is advertisements for some establishments and coupons for money off meals at that restaurant. Also the burger places in town are offering a free one for each burger of like kind you buy. Two for the price of one is a good deal however not so good for my waistline. The prices at the markets keep climbing and the packages are shrinking and we buy most all of our meat from the “used meat” bin. I now have a few racks of ribs and plan on using my electric indoor smoker next week and smoke one of them. That will be good for a few meals. The meat is good chopped up in some rice for a later meal for one thing. I have been known to get quite creative with “leftovers.” For instance left over rotisserie chicken goes into a salad, pot pie or a sandwich. With just the two of us most times for dinner there are leftovers to deal with and spaghetti is better as a leftover most times.

I peeked in the bedroom and Ragg Mopp is asleep on one side and Cecil on the other side of that king sized bed. Beanie is the odd one out for he is in the front room on the sofa. It is very quiet here in this house for Will is gone to the museum ~ he was summoned to come meet some man that wanted to meet him. And so it goes ~ here am I typing. I have got to cook those pork chops today. Something came up the last couple evenings and they didn’t make it into that recipe I want to try. I think they will go bad if I don’t cook them this evening.

BTW that sour dough loaf of bread that didn’t mix properly in the bread machine came out really good. I had to knead it by hand ~ hadn’t done that in years but I still have the knack. I had a piece toasted (sans butter) with some soup yesterday. I don’t eat much bread but Will does and ergo the bread machine. He has toast with his breakfast (which I don’t eat) every morning. Coffee is my breakfast. He mentioned that he needs a new toaster and there is a great one in my Chefs® Catalog that I just know he would love to have ~ I’ll have to show it to him. It is called the “Cuisinart Touch To Toast™ Toaster” which has wide slots that self adjust to toast bagels, English muffins, frozen waffles or bread. It comes in 2 slice and 4 slice units and is currently “on sale.” I think it is what he needs for he just keeps buying ones at Wal*Mart which aren’t that good and go ka-poot quickly. I’ll show him my catalog when he gets home from the museum.

DONNA FAYE Too bad you are caught between a rock and a hard place and feel that you absolutely can’t afford to move out of that area which isn’t getting any better but deteriorating. With that said, you just have to do the best you can and be happy for your “state of mind” is important on how you live your life each day. Too bad you have to bite the bullet and pay for the garage door opener to be replaced.

JEAN Lots of the old folks are passing on these days it seems. Those old men like that one you knew are jewels to go visit their women when then don't remember them. They truly did love them didn't they. Funerals are for the living aren't they for we need the closure. I like the way some countries centuries back used to do it ~ put the dead on a boat and sent them out to sea to Valhalla or some such place. Closeure is what the living need by doing the funerals. Have you ever been to a "sing off" where the congregation gets together and sings acapella some of the favorite songs of the deceased? What a neat gathering that is. I don't want a "funeral" when I die but a "sing off" would be great. Hallalujah.

Have a great day Magnolias ~
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #20  

Good Evening, Flowers! The sun was shining until midafternoon today! It's windy and chilly though the sun makes it seem nicer. We spent from 10 to 1 at church; the funeral was a large one considering the guy was 97. Some family members shared stories and that was fun. He had a lot of friends in the community as well as lots of relatives. Most everyone stayed for the lunch and the lady in charge was really nervous about running out of food. It was close. This afternoon I vacuumed fur bunnies and defurred my dark blue chair only to have Sonny go right back and lay next to it. Jason and the kids stopped by later and we had pizza for supper. Amanda had to work this weekend so was stuck there; her dad has wood working equipment so he, Jason, and Ian worked on Ian's Pinewood Derby car this afternoon. They live about a half hour from us.

"Gma" -- I suppose your management company figures anything on the inside is your responsibility to fix. It doesn't sound like they are very cooperative. I hope you have a working door by now. Did you get your favorite gal to do your hair this morning?

Maggie -- The last two or three toasters we've had only toast good on one side. It's the same old story that things aren't made the way they used to be. Does Will "need" a 2 slice or 4 slice one? A singing send off sounds like a good idea! We sang one hymn together and there were two soloists, singing three pieces, this morning. They both did a wonderful job and enjoyable to listen to.

I think I will figure out what I'm wearing to church tomorrow and head for bed. Have a super Sunday and enjoy!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #21  

Good morning to you gals. It is another cold morning here, but it is supposed to warm up by next weekend into the upper 60's so I will certainly take that. It snowed here off and on all day and into the evening sometimes fairly heavily, but it was warm enough none of it stuck except on rooftops. The one nice thing is supposedly lots of sunny days so this afternoon we are taking the car and get the filthy thing washed. It probably could use two run throughs to get it cleaned it is so dirty. It just never seemed to have 2 days or more of weather that wasn't rain.

Poor Jack has a toothache because he had a bad tooth, but he is really needle phobic and our insurance network dentists only use novacaine. He has used an oral surgeon not far from our house, which we will take him to, but he gets a bonus day soon and doesn't want to mess that up so he is going to put up with it until he gets his bonus day then take a sick day to get it take care of. I have been having him doctor himself with the ambesol/oraljel stuff, ice packs and advil and told him the more he can keep ice on it, the less swelling, which will cause less pain and to keep putting the benzocaine stuff on it to keep it numb. The man has a really high pain tolerance so I imagine he will put up with it until then.

We actually had a great outcome with the garage door. We found this wonderful young man who came out on a Saturday, replaced both springs as he said the other one was really old and should be replaced, then without us saying anything, he looked at our garage opener unit, replaced a burned out capacitor, which is what the smoke was about and the thing works fine now so we don't have to buy a new garage door opener and pay to have it installed. He refused to charge us for looking at the door opener or for the part either. We now can park in the garage again. Unlike the guy who installed the garage opener, this guy told Jack what he needed to do to keep things working proper and he told Jack the cross bar on the door itself should be replaced soon as it is old and will start to bow. Well, as far as we can tell all this stuff has never been touched in 40 years so I am sure it is long past wearing out. We will have him back out when we see it bending at all and have it replaced. He also sells and installs the openers so when we need a new one, we will go to him instead of Lowes or Home Depot. He is a one man business with a helper and a young guy trying to develop his business.

Jean: What a nice send off for the old gentlemen. I remember the pinewood derby days. Isn't Ian in Boy Scouts now instead of Cub Scouts? I thought only Cubs Scouts did the pinewood derby. I know Thomas doesn't do it anymore. He just seems to be on camping trips all the time. I did get my hair done yesterday and she cut it so cute. I got lots of comments about it. They do such a fabulous job, I don't mind spending the extra that's for sure.

Maggie: We have a crummy toaster at the moment. We had a nice 4 slice toaster for a long time and it was back when Thomas was little, kindergarten or so. He couldn't understand why anyone needed a 4 slice toaster. Everytime he would come to stay that darn toaster would be a puzzler for him. It was funny. I bought a sunbeam, but it crappily made in my opinion. I expect it to go belly up anytime now. I am enjoying my cast iron skillets though I have to get used to scrubbing as they aren't non stick of course. I haven't used my dutch oven yet, but plan to try it out with a roast soon.

Well gals, I need to go. I want to go upstairs and shower and dress so the hot water heats back up for Jack to have a shower. He likes to scald himself shaving and showering and uses a lot of hot water. I don't as the hot water washes out the color in my hair so I use cooler water to wash my hair in the shower. Commissary day today then wash the car. Have a great one. Faye
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #22  

Good morning, ladies! 36 degrees and partly sunny this day.

The quilt show was wonderful and I had a great time - and spent less than $40. I have all the gadgets and enough fabric for 2 lifetimes.

My boss is finally back to work so I can get back to my regular routine.

I was reading an article about a new book by Michael Moss, a Pulitzer Prize winning writer for the NY Times, called "Salt, Sugar, and Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us." You can look it up on Amazon for a peek inside and write up. I put it on my Audible wish list and in 2 days I'll have 2 credits and I can get it for one. That's cheaper than putting in on my Kindle as an ebook. It's a real eye opener.

Faye, when you say you are scrubbing your cast iron skillet, I hope you are only doing it with salt and a paper towel. A properly seasoned cast iron skillet is nonstick. Mine are ancient and nothing ever sticks. I use salt, a paper towel and that's it. Never use soap on them. I'm glad you are getting good reports from the doctor. Poor Jack with his tooth. My dentist numbs my gum with this orange tasting stuff before he puts the novacain in and it never hurts. It's it great to find and honest young man to do work.

Jean, I really like the idea of sending someone off with songs. I do not want calling hours. Just cremation, the funeral Mass, and then a big happy party to celebrate my life.

Maggie, I have a crappy toaster, too, so I toast bread in my convesction toaster oven. I'm going to throw the toaster out. One less appliance to deal with.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking March On Sunday

Will liked that Cuisinart Touch to Toast ™ Toaster I found in my Chefs Catalogue and was pleased with its features and had me order the “2 slice model” which will be here in a few days for that company is very quick in its delivery. So now from the same company we will be getting the bread machine and the toaster.

Today was pot-luck after church services and I am proud to say that I held myself within the limits I have set for myself for those types of affairs. I have become a “picky eater” by choice ~ pick out what I think will be a good OP choice and leave the other delicious ooie gooie stuff alone.

JEAN Here is what the catalog said about the toaster I ordered for Will ~ “Touch a button to increase or decrease toasting time, select from 7 shades or reheat. Wide slots self-adjust to toast bagels, English muffins, frozen waffles or bread. Bagel setting ensures perfect balance of oft and crisp. LCD with countdown timer shows toasting progress. Defrost and cancel functions. Removable crumb tray and cord wrap. Brushed stainless steel.” I have some of those heat resistant sleeves that are used to toast sandwiches in toasters that can take a wide load which are neat to use ~ cheese doesn’t goo up the toaster that way. BTW I made that pork chop recipe and made a substitution that probably didn’t change the taste of it at all. I didn’t have any marjoram or thyme when I started to mix things and just had the sage so I used poultry seasoning instead for it is made up of those spices anyway. Will and I both give that way of cooking pork five stars ~ which is the most a recipe can have that I make. That way of cooking the pork will also work well with chicken tenders or cube steak.

DONNA FAYE What a nice guy to have work on your garage opener. You will get many years use out of your cast iron ware if you don't wash it in soapy water and just do as Susan said. However if you have used soap on it you can re-season it by rubbing crisco all over it and baking it for awhaile then leaving it in the oven to cool. Mine, like Susans, are non stick now from their years of use and proper care. A tooth ache is a hard pain to deal with and hopefully Jack can get it taken care of sooner than later.

SUSAN I imagine you are elated that your boss is now back at the work place. If it were just me and I wanted some toast I would also use my Convection Oven to make toast but Will needs a toaster.

Have a great afternoon Magnolias `
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #24  

Good Evening, Flowers! Another morning of sunshine and then the clouds and wind moved in this afternoon, tonight the street is "wet." We are in a winter advisory for rain, freezing rain/sleet (there's a difference?), and snow through tomorrow night. I am supposed to attend an installation of officers at an evening P.E.O. meeting tomorrow night. If the weather does what it's supposed to, I hope somebody is smart enough to postpone it. We went to church this morning; I fixed a roast for dinner, then spent the afternoon working on the afghan, and watching basketball games on tv.

"Gma" -- I can imagine how Jack feels with a sore tooth as I've been there and done that. It sounds like you found a gem when you found the garage door repairman. I'm not sure if Ian is in Boy Scouts or still in Cub Scouts. He is 10 and in 4th grade; he went camping overnight a couple times last summer. I think this is his second Pinewood Derby; last year we were all set to go watch and he got the flu so couldn't participate.

Susan -- Glad to hear your boss is back and you can get back to semi-retired status. I just knew you would enjoy the quilt show! Did you just buy fabric? Thanks for sharing the link on Salt, Sugar, and Fat -- I will check it out!

Maggie -- I know Will will enjoy his new toaster when it comes. My grandma used to toast bread in the oven. What yummy food did you take to the pot luck?

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday and a great start to your week! I'm off to read in bed!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #25  

Good morning to you all. I hope you are all doing well. We actually have another day of sunshine and it is going to be in the 60's this afternoon ! It will however rain this evening.

We whizzed through the commissary for once, got home and put it all away and just relaxed for the rest of the day. I am starting in on cleaning when I get done here inbetween reading another Maeve Binchy book I haven't read. My greatest Bucket List wish would be to have the money to go on the QM2 land in England, tour England, Scotland and Ireland, see a couple of my FB friends that are knitters then ride the boat back home again. If it weren't for the kids/grandkids, I would live in London easily. I just love everything about it, (so you see why I love the Harry Potter books so much, Susan )

I bought all the supplies to make myself another Pandora style bracelet in yellow using goldtones instead of the silver. Well one of my cute little heart dangle charms was broken when I got it so I took a picture of it and the one that was ok and emailed them asking how I could get it replaced. Got an email back today that since it was buy one get one free, they would give me back 8 cents for the broken one as it was out of stock! I have never had trouble with this company but was hoping I would just get another charm to replace the broken one. So, I had to rearrange my bracelet so it would look right as I make them using two of everything and one charm or bead in the middle that is different, ie it is red for the yellow bracelet. I lay them out how I want them to go on then feed them on until we get to the middle different bead then basically go from the end back to the beginning so each end of the bracelet is the same as it works itself to the middle. That's why I buy two of each. I also like a really full bracelet and always buy a small pretty extender so I can put them on myself. I also buy from a company called Fire Mountain Gems out in Oregan someplace. They sell tons of beading and jewelry making supplies, but also sell premade necklases, bracelets and the like. I found some gorgeous fresh water pearl necklaces in colors for the cruise this year and a couple other chunky bead types that I like.

Susan: I bought Lodge cast iron cooking stuff and it said it was preseasoned, that you should use a stiff bristle brush to clean it and always oil each time after use. As Jack is from the southwest and they use a lot of cast iron, I knew not to use soap on it. I do use my scrubber sponge and water only then dry it and oil it everytime. I will try the salt and paper towel way and see how that goes too.

Maggie: Thanks for the info on the pans. Sounds like you have a plan for a new toaster. I bought a packet of spices to use in the crockpot next time I make the pork loin. I guess this stuff bastes itself, but then everytime I have made anything in the crockpot it bastes itself anyway!

Jean: I imagine Ian is in Webeloes. I thought he was closer to Thomas's age. Thomas will be 13 in June. I can't believe I said that. He is going to be an actual teenager. Where does the time go??? So, what book are you reading at the moment? I am reading Maeve Binchy's Minding Frankie and I like it so far. Her books are so village oriented and I have always liked the way the plot is tied together bit by bit by each chapter being about the person or persons involved in the plot.

Well this is not getting my work started. I have already purchased some more contacts online, had breakfast, and a couple other things. I leave here and it is make a big ole list of cleaning chores. It is satisfying to cross them off! Faye
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another gloomy day in my neighborhood. We got up to a slippery crunchy ice glaze but it didn't last long once people were out and about driving. The predicted snow storm has gone around us for now. School was two hours late this morning so we counted without the secretary's help. I picked up the gift shop money and have been to the bank with that. As far as I know the meeting tonight is still on.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about the broken charm. It's too bad you couldn't find one to replace it. The kids grow up too fast, that's for sure. I think Ian grows taller every time we see him. I'm reading a Michael Connelly book right now; I have a feeling I've read it before although my initials aren't on the inside pocket. I have reread books more than once, and get almost to the end before it finally clicks.

I need to do some much needed ironing. Bob has practice at 5 so we will probably meet coming and going. Hope you all enjoy a relaxing evening!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #27  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

This is my wiegh day and I stayed the same so guess I should call it a "maintain." My body needed a rest after reaching the half way mark I guess to gather it's breath for the next group of pounds it has to lose. I expect I will show a loss at WW meeting next week.

Last night we took a trip out to the book store and bought a copy of the Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss ~ published in 2013 ~ that Susan gave us “heads up” on. If any of you buy the book please don’t skip over reading the “prologue” for I found it quite interesting and you may also. I liked what one comment Ron Suskind made that is printed on the back of the book “What happens when one of the country’s great investigative reporters infiltrates the most disastrous cartel of modern times: a processed food industry that’s making a fortune by slowly poisoning an unwitting population? You get this terrific, powerfully written book, jammed with startling disclosures, jaw-dropping confessions and, importantly, the charting of a path to a better, healthier future. This book should be read by anyone who tears a shiny wrapper and opens wide. That’s all of us.” Maybe one of the reasons I like the prolog of this book so much is that I did love that class I took on “Marketing” while I was in college. I am so far into 28 pages of the book + the 28 pages of “prologue” and what a power packed group of pages already on what is going on in the industry. I highly recommend the book.

I have been busy doing some of this and that this day. However, busy is a good thing. I did get a few pounds of ground sirloin packaged up and in the freezer for a future use. We like finding that 90/10 ground up meat in the “used meat” bin at the market. It can be used in so many dishes. I freeze some of it in ½ pound pieces because sometimes I only need that much in a recipe and I don’t want to thaw out a pound and then have to decide what to use it for before it goes bad. Some of the things I make that call for one pound I use ½ pound for that is enough I do believe plus it does cut down on the points+.

When we were out and about this day we went by to see the buffalo and the babies are almost as big as their parents now. They certainly do grow fast. It is fun to see one scoot away when it gets in the way of the big boss male buffalo. It isn’t hard to see which one is the dominant one.

DONNA FAYE Wasn't that nice to be able to get through the commessary without any mishaps. My two nephews went to England to look up the land where our ancestors were located and had a grand time there. But bought some land on a tropical island. I haven't used my cast iron Dutch ovens in this oven but could because the legs could go between the wires on the shelf and work like one without legs. I have cooked many a scrumptous thing in a crock pot from biscuits to desserts. Most of the crock pot recipes can be made in the Dutch oven. I have a cookbook called Cast Iron Cookbook by Griswold & Wagner which has lots of yummy recipes it it. Also The Dutch Oven Cooking, recipes by K&B plus the Camp Dutch Oven Cooking 101 from backyard to backwoods which have some very good recipes also. If you ever need a recipe made for the dutch oven just ask me and I just might have it. Isn't that just how it works you break a charm and that is the very one they are out of. Are they getting any in like it soon so you can get one or can you get two differnt ones to take their place?

JEAN We are supposed to get some rain this evening and I sure hope the clouds that are gathering do dump some on us. Will has a meeting tonight also for he is on the museum board now. If his meetings are always going to be on the same night as my WW meeting but on the last monday of the month then I am going to have to see if I can get into the building where they have WW early (I know they are in there) and I could sit quietly (yes I can be quiet) and read a book till time for the meeting. His meeting tonight is because it was cancelled last week. Anyway it will be the last Monday of the month when I will want to get in the building early.

Have a wonderful evening Magnolias ~ I can hear the wind howling ~ hope it is bringing the rain.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #28  

Good morning ladies. It stayed in the 60's overnight but temps are dropping this morning into the 40's and again with the rain. I would love to just blow it right up to Jean and Maggie since they need it. Hopefully, it will only last today then get back to sunshine as it is supposed to be warm towards the end of the week.

I started a load of laundry, balanced the checkbook, fed and watered the dog, took my meds and will get up and put away dishes and reload the dishwasher with breakfast dishes in a bit then on to the cleaning chores. I still have to dust and clean kitchen counters downstairs today then want to get upstairs and clean the hall bathroom today if I can.

We had homemade sloppy joes last night and are having crab cakes for Jack and I am having cold shrimp for supper. I do try to have at least one fish or seafood meal a week. I think I will put a small piece of pork loin in the crockpot tomorrow for dinner with the packet of that mix I found and we shall see how we like it.

Jean: Which Connelly book are you reading? I have his latest one in my Kindle and usually just read it in one sitting, but I haven't been able to get into it much this time. Like I said, I am reading a bunch of Maeve Binchy books that I haven't read. For once the online library has a lot of an author's books so I don't have to buy them. The charm isn't that big of a deal. I will put the heart on a jump ring and use it separately sometime and the spacer it came on I can use as a spacer sometime too. The one that wasn't broken I put in the middle of the bracelet and then worked my way out on both sides. I imagine the bracelet part will be here today since it was supposed to be delivered yesterday and of course the post office didn't deliver it. Not that they care, but I gave them a piece of my mind because I ordered stamps on the 27th online and they are supposed to go out the same day and they weren't even shipped until this morning and they are only in Missouri so would have been here yesterday if they had just put them in an envelope and shipped them. I mean how hard is it to put two little flat booklets of stamps in an envelope and mail them???

Maggie: Thanks for the help with the dutch oven. I haven't used it yet, but I imagine there will come a time soon when I need it. We are able to get 93/7 ground sirloin and that's great for the ole diet, but it has so little fat, it is difficult to use sometimes if you want it scrambled up or something like that.

Well gals, I need to hit the bricks and get things going for the day. Have a good one and hopefully we will start having spring weather soon. Faye
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #29  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is spitting snow flakes right now but don't think we are supposed to get much. It's cold and the wind is supposed to pick up later around noon. I'm home for the day as far as I know. I need to do some laundry and sort through the never ending pile of magazines and catalogs.

Maggie -- I would be most happy with a maintain, and know you are patiently waiting for your body to get moving downward again. I had to chuckle when you said you could sit quietly and wait for the WW meeting to begin. My meeting choices are either at the hospital or in a church where the leader has to lock everything in a closet. I don't know how long it takes her to set everything out but know she's ready to go a half hour before the official weigh in time.

"Gma" -- The name of the book is Trunk Music; it's an older paperback but I didn't look at the copyright date. It hasn't grabbed my interest like some of his books do so may end up not finishing it. There is a local editorial campaign to get the post office to deliver on Saturday but not Monday. We get hardly anything on Saturday as it is so it really wouldn't make any difference to me. For whatever reason mail going east, to my "mom," is a day shorter than her mail coming west to me. It's only a little over an hour drive so something is wrong with that picture!

My next project, for the day, is to finish the afghan so I'm off to get a load of clothes in the washer and then park in front of the tv with the afghan. Enjoy a terrific Tuesday and be glad you are on the "right side of the grass!"

Last edited by Jean; 03-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #30  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

We certainly didn’t get much rain yesterday ~ just enough to wet the road and sidewalks. They are predicting some rain for Thurs & Fri so we shall hope it comes to pass. Daylight Savings time begins the 10th (for all but a couple of states) and it sure seems that it has come around early. Then we have St. Patrick’s Day on the 17th and Easter on the 31st. This month is packed with “happenings.” This year is marching right along and it will be gone before we know it. It is important for me to keep my FOCUS and be awake to my program so I can be a good loser. I can give myself a pat on the back for while reading this book it imprints on my mind why I am eating low fat or fat free and using Splenda® instead of sugar and watching the salt intake. I rinse my canned veggies to remove all the sodium I can from them and never use salt at the table. I get all the sodium I need from the food I eat and cook with spices instead of using salt. I do use a little salt when baking bread but do use the Splenda® for the sugar and the butter makes the crust brown. But other than baked goods I don’t use lots of salt, sugar, and fat. “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” is a good sub for butter spritzed on veggies, toast and such. Read the book folks and it will reinforce why we cut back on salt, sugar, and fat and what made us fat to begin with. You will get an eye opener on what goes on behind the scenes in the food industry that will make you shudder. Remember when regular yogurt was considered a “health food” ~ well it isn’t anymore because they have put 4 times the amount of things in it that make us fat. I am so happy that I have my own yogurt maker and can control what goes into it. I happen to like yogurt and know how to make the ever popular Greek Yogurt also (which is also called Yogurt Cheese). I mix yogurt with Low Fat Miracle Whip half and half and it cuts the MW points down further. The yogurt takes on the flavor of the MW and doesn’t diminish the flavor. I like using the yogurt to cut points+ in creamy things such as that. If you use mayonnaise instead of MW you could do the same with it. Life is good. Experiment with it and see if you like it by using a spoon of one and a spoon of another mixed together for a taste test. For deviled eggs I like to use some lemon pepper in it when I mix the MW with the egg yolk along with some chives or finely chopped green onion. Never bring any home when I take them to pot-luck. Folks are not aware they are eating lightened fare but always say how good they are.

Will is going to grill burgers outside since it isn’t raining this day so our dinner meal is planned. I haven’t decided yet what I want for lunch but it will be something low in points+ like maybe a cup of soup with a few croutons sprinkled on top. Soup on a day such as this sounds good to me. I have some packets of “Peal A Pound” soup in the freezer that can be quickly thawed. I look forward to when the weather gets nicer when we can cook outside more often. We like cooking and BBQing outside and have some things we want to try. We have that nice outdoor smoker that is waiting for a rack or two of ribs or a chicken or turkey breast. Smoked food is so good and good for you also. I am learning to find things that I can keep using the rest of my life and not just to lose weight but does help me to lose weight.

DONNA FAYE Hope you get chain soon so you can assemble your bracelet. Sounds like you hit the floor ready to get your work done this day and all is well at your home. Isn’t it fun when you have your ducks in a row.

JEAN Yep I can be quiet. But not often. I am going to really watch what I eat this week so maybe I will show a loss this next week instead of another "maintain." It is my history to lose a few weeks then not lose for a couple so I have to take it in stride whether I really like it or not. Can you post a picture of your afgan when you get it all finished? Wonder why they want their mail on Sat instead of Mon for most stores are open on Mon anyway. Doesn't make any difference in the long run anyway.

Have a wonderful day Magnolias ~

Last edited by Maggie; 03-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.