Old 02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #31  

Good morning girls. I almost missed morning I guess. I had one of those nights where Fortune wouldn't be still so I lost energy around 9:30 and took a nap for a couple hours. I feel a little dopey right now, but it will be ok in a few minutes.

We had hard pouring rain all day yesterday and heavy fog this morning with mid 30's overnight temps and it is in the upper 40's today. I wish we could have sun again. It is so gloomy most of the time this year.

I talked to my best friend of 45 years yesterday and she and her husband are having a real hard time. He is on disability for a back injury several years ago (besides the fact he is lazy as he used to sit in a car and drive around as a security guard!) and she can't get a job. Her unemployment and extended unemployment ran out so they are kind of in the soup. She was always so good to Jack and I when he would get laid off in Indiana that I am sending her a check every month for 5-6 months to at least help her buy groceries. One of the things that gets my goat is he won't quit smoking and spends quit a bit of his pension on cigarettes. It isn't my husband though so I have to keep my mouth shut. I am not sure she would cash the check, but if I don't see it within a week or so having come through my bank, I am going to call her and insist she cash it. We don't have tons of money, but we aren't hurting for money either and helping a friend in need is the best thing you can do IMO. Jack and I never let anyone borrow money. We have always had a policy of no borrowing. If you need money and ask and we have it, we give it to you but no borrowing. If you don't get paid back then there is resentment that builds up.

Maggie: Just stay dry and warm in the house and work on your glass or read or something. The snow will eventually melt and be easier to move around in I imagine. Fortune hates the wet of any kind so he wouldn't even venture out in it.

Jean: I had to laugh at you and the afghan. You seem to be fine with any little mistakes or whatever and I think that is great. These people that have to make perfection miss the enjoyment out of doing it IMO. I saw a mistake I made in almost the bottom of my sweater, but it only shows on the side you wear close to the skin so I wasn't about to take out 4 inches of sweater to fix it.

Well girls, I heard the buzzer and my lunch is ready. Gotta go. Have a great weekend. This is our weekend to have dinner and games with Kelly's family tomorrow night. Looking forward to hearing about her El Paso trip. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #32  

I'm baaccckkkk! I just brought a load of laundry upstairs and thought I would check in again. The sun has disappeared but the snow is melting on the driveway and street.

Maggie -- For once we are warmer than you are; it's 23 degrees as I'm typing. I fixed a ham loaf for lunch so we will have leftovers of choice for the next couple of meals. Sonny sat by the deck doors all morning waiting for his squirrels to come. He finally gave up and went down to his favorite chair, in the basement, for a nap. Wouldn't you know one lonely squirrel showed up right after he left.

"Gma" -- I wish you could share your rain. I don't want ice but we sure need the moisture. Those "in the know" are saying it will be another drought this summer. That is sad about your friend's situation, and it's nice of you to help her. I'm afraid I wouldn't be very tolerant of a smoking husband if money was tight. This afghan stitch is double if that makes any sense; it's across and back to complete one row. Mistakes don't show unless I skip a stitch completely. I hate this yarn because it is so loosely woven it is easy to split a stitch. Since it is varigated colors that helps; if I see the mistake I do rip it out and fix it. What I'm doing now is going around the outside edge a couple times to finish it off. I just hope it doesn't fall apart when Beth washes it.

I see the mailman just went by so I will venture out to the mailbox. We haven't gotten much junk mail in the last couple of weeks. I wonder if the increased postage has anything to do with that.

Last edited by Jean; 02-22-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #33  

Good morning to you all. Jack is out early this morning going to Home Depot to get lubricant for the screw on the garage door opener, to Krogers to get more soda and dog food, and Chik-fil-a for a breakfast sandwich this morning.

Jack got up early and shampooed the dining room carpet this AM with the new shampooer and is going to do the other one tomorrow. It sure works better than the old one. It had stopped vacuuming up the dirty water out of the carpet so that's why we bought a new one.

I am going to go and color my hair after breakfast and try and tackle some of the upstairs I never did get to before we go over to Kelly's this evening. We are ordering from the BBQ place across the street so I will call after they open up and place the order to be picked up at 5:30 this afternoon. Jack still has to lubricate the screw drive on the garage door opener to see if that fixes the problem we are having with it. It won't go up all the way, but once he gets it up, it will come down on it's own. We figure it needs lubricant since it does work. It isn't that old, less than 5 years.

Jean: Sounds like it has warmed up in your area, but certainly not warm. How do you make a ham loaf? I don't think I have ever heard of a ham loaf. It sounds good. We still get a heck of a lot of catalogues, even places I have never ordered from so you know they are passing along your address to places, which irritates me. I don't order from catalogues, do it online instead so I try when I fill out my order to make sure anything that is checked saying they want to send me stuff either email or through snail mail and I say no thanks.

Well girlies, time to go. Lots to do today! Have a good Saturday. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote