Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:20 AM   #1  

Default The 5% Club - Believe It, This is a New Thread! Are you 5%????

5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5%

Hi Everyone. I have not a clue when I was last posting regularly. I do remember when I made the very first post that turned into this very long-running thread: June 18, 1998 my friends! Isn't that unbelievable! Anyway, it seems that some of the 5% faithful still check in from time to time.

What 5% refers to is the supposed "MERE" 5% who are 'able' to keep their newly won healthy shape and change their habits permanently. This is usually in relation to some sort of gloom and doom pessimism in some weight loss article - for all I know it is backed up by science and studies - who knows where they got the magic number. It is supposed to show limitation, but for us in the 5% club (and that most certainly can be YOU) the 5% means POSSIBILITY. That means SOMEONE manages to do this. People do it. People change their habits, their obsessions, their outlooks and ultimately their health and appearance. They do it all the time. So....IF IT CAN BE DONE, it can be done, so, ergo, it can be done! So here we are doing it.

I am personally in the 5%, and it is a proud achievement. I'm still at the weight zone I achieved and I am exercising like I always did, since it is spring probably at the most vigorous level. I've really been happy with Body Pump - I started it in fall 2001 and that makes 1.5 years of this program, and the muscle tone shows! Plus all manner of aerobics and strength pursuits, and a lot more walking than I used to do. Let's not forget the Buffer (my pet name for the elliptical trainer).

The most wonderful thing that has happened is my DH has (A) Quit drinking beer. (B) Joined the club with me and is a regular worker-outer. (C) Looks fantastic. So maybe that's another reason I don't post so much anymore.

I'm focusing a bit on food right now and am acually loosely using something of a plan. Getting below 135 is really difficult. If I gain to 140, I can lose back down to 135 in a trice. Getting below that requires concentration on the food thing. I've done a lot of checking on the web and I came across the "Wendie Plan" which is a version of Weight Watchers. I'm sort of loosely doing that, which is a way of staggering your calorie intake over a week so you don't slow down your metabolism. It's sort of interesting because I am not in WW and never have been, and I don't want to pay for it, either. So I am something of a maverick, looking for the conversions and figuring it out as I go. Last week? 134 lbs. I'll take that. I only weigh myself once a week or so so I don't know about this week. I'm really happy when 128-131.

I can't say if I will be a faithful poster, but I'll be checking in. I do okay on the fitness and lifestyle efforts, but I really miss the people I have met here. I also truly would love to help people address weight and fitness issues. I don't even rule out working in fitness again someday as a job or part time job (too busy now) but if there are people here who click into this discussion, I'm a great cheerleader, and I truly believe it can be done. Even you. Yes even though you weigh XXX lbs, etc., etc.

I have toyed a little bit with taking an online diary on, so I can pursue the health/fitness issue but also other topics of interest. Juno's 5% blog but with a better name. I am sort of low on the learning scale on what software I need and what service to use, etc. (Paging Shorty!) but I might just plunge into the user friendly no-frills kind and let you know if I do. So stay tuned for that, sounds like a blast.

Abs - Triathalon - now that is ambitious and to be respected. I did not find the 'sudden wean' painful but boy did I gain weight. I mean I looked pretty good after the birth, but after weaning was when I lost my stride and gained a BUNCH. You will recover, and water water water (seems counterintuitive I know, since you'll worry about filling those things up, but it will help I promise) and peppermint tea is so great.

Shorty congrats on your daughter on the way. Does you design firm have a web site? Your career is in some ways the me-that-could-have-been - that is a longer topic, for another day.

Phoebe - Not a 'whinge' from me today! SOOO glad you checked in, hope you come back.

This has been great - I will look forward to hearing from everyone!

Juno
Old 05-07-2003, 01:57 PM   #2  

It's me again - I wanted to share this link to something I found screamingly hilarious - I gave this link to all my friends.

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

I'm not sure if this will make a link so you may have to cut and paste. Can't wait to hear from everyone.

Juno
Old 05-07-2003, 02:54 PM   #3  

Hi!! This is just Steph who had to re-register because my e-mail changed, couldn't remember my password, etc... Just seemed easier to give myself a new name then to try and search for the information.

I read the other post and am glad to see that so many old friends are still around. I have Juno's e-mail so I pop in there occassionally to see how she's doing but hadn't a clue what anyone else was up to!

Shorty - pregnant!! Congrats and I look forward to hearing more about it. I was horrid eating with the first one but very good by the 2nd baby and only gained 11. I am not a cook so can not tell you what to make. My food during the day is still pretty much stuff that I can whip out of the fridge

Absmom - glad to hear everything is going so well! I didn't breastfeed so no advice there either - formula worked a heck of a lot easier when doing daycare. I would never have found the quiet time to feed.

Juno - Glad to hear the head of households are getting in shape. That is about how it is here. DH quit working his overtime and his home to enjoy life a lot more. This happened last fall. He exercises frequently, we walk together almost every evening too, cut way back on the beer (we did quit for two months and noticed no change so we decided we weren't consuming as much as we thought). His blood pressure is way down and our health is way up!

Phoebe - I hope you check in and let us know what big changes have happened. Your confidence is there you just need to whip it out and put it into action

All is fine here. Kids are bigger now so I have quite a bit of free time (something I used to complain about). They are in sports and during practices I walk wherever we are instead of sitting and reading like I used to. I exericse 4-5 times a week, took a pilates class this spring, cut out most of my junk food during the week and am about 13 pounds away from my goal. I am doing really good this time and have lost 7 pounds recently and feel this time I understand the food and know what I am doing. Plus DH has made changes to dinner which has helped quite a bit.

Hope everyone checks in when they have a chance. I need inspiration and want to hear about training for a triathalon

Steph
Old 05-09-2003, 12:46 AM   #4  

Steph you are by all means ever stronger on the journey. Thanks so much for being great about staying in touch!

Did I mention above that I am doing a bunch of extra work because a fellow-MT just had a baby and wants 6 weeks off? Body Pump was thwarted today, and tomorrow is in question (I'll make it brief here so I can stay on task)... I find when I work a lot like this it is harder to keep food in check (I don't/can't take the time to prep stuff, cook stuff, make sure there are lots of veggies cut up etc.) Remind me to make a big pot of Juno soup over the weekend! I get a little flat in my mental state after listening to the endless tapes and typing them. (Note to newbies I am a medical transcriptionist). So in addition to losing the time, I also lose my will to care about much. I'm about halfway through the six-week run.

It's actually good because another trip is in the works this summer. We had resigned ourselves to no Outside trips this year, due to older D's shiny braces she just got, not covered by insurance! But my youngest brother is getting married August 9 in Portland, so it's a trip! I'm pretty excited about it - it just wasn't in the budget. And I'll be on the lookout for just the right dress for the event - the fitness angle, which I always love.

I talked above about diet, and that is always something I need to work on. I tend to do great for a while and then 'rebel.' My idea of rebellion has changed over the years however: Now when I binge it is usually a couple bowls of oatmeal with brown sugar which I really adore! I seem to crave cereals. The calories do add up but it is better than cheesecake or candy bars, right!

But the bottom line, seriously is exercise. I was thwarted today and it bums me out. I'm finding that things go best if I get 2 exercise sessions per day of some type. While today was a wash, most days I manage both a workout and then a walk or gardening or something as a second burst. I'm going to try to do that as much as possible.

Well, back to the grindstone--

Please feel free to join the 5% club!

Juno
Old 05-12-2003, 02:09 AM   #5  

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! I hope you all had a wonderful mother's day! Hope your moms did too.

Great exercise weekend - really seeing a difference with the weight training - really noticing my arms. That makes me feel great!

Food - pretty good. I have rebelled from the Wendie Plan a little bit but feel ready to plunge in again.

Here's my challenge to you: Check in with 3 things you are going to do tomorrow. Make them simple and something you are likely to be able to accomplish. Post them here and write them down so you are reminded, then see how you do. Your support is right here.

This is what I need to do tomorrow--

1. Make some vegetable soup ("Juno soup")
2. Stick to my plan and follow a menu for the day
3. Make it a point to exercise in the daytime because I have a meeting at night - minimum 45 minutes!

See you tomorrow--

Juno
Old 05-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #6  

Happy Belated Mothers Day to you all! Yesterday was DH's birthday too but we didn't actually do anything special. We were running around on Sat. so yesterday was kind of a lazy day. Our hockey team is in the playoffs which is a big deal around this house so we are running on too much tv time

Okay my 3 things to do today are....
1) Exercise during the day because there is soccer practice tonight and it's my shift so I won't feel like doing it at night
2) Get back to my no white carbs during the weekday because I was blowing it this weekend big time and I can really feel it in my middle!
3) Be in charge of 3 dinners this week and try not to eat out more than once before Sat..... the urge gets big because we have 3 nights this week we are out around dinner - PLAN!!

Those are my goals for today - need to start that healthy breakfast.

Steph
Old 05-13-2003, 05:02 AM   #7  

Hey...that really worked! It was a bit of a push - I too had to exercise in the daytime because of a night meeting - so my declaration really helped it happen. How did you do Steph? Anyone else? Just post 3 things that you vow to do the next day.

If you are having a tough day, make it easy! Here are my challenges for tomorrow:

1. Get work done in time to make it to Body Pump noon class (this will be a challenge indeed!)
2. Eat Juno soup 30 min before lunch and dinner, stick with WP food intake for the day (it's a low day so wish me luck!)
3. Really concentrate on water and herbal tea.

That is all I have to say! As I said above, I am doing a LOT of extra work, and anything I can do to stay strong during this time I'm going to do! Three things, I should be able to do that...

Juno
Old 05-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #8  

Hello Hello Hello....

Happy Belated Mom's Day to you all! Happy to see the new thread !!

Well, tri-training is going pretty well. I read a book for beginners by Sally Edwards and have been following her training schedule religiously for the past 2 weeks. Workouts in each of the sports, plus one weight training session and one extra workout in my weakest sport - running. I am starting to see some results, so it keeps me motivated.

The big downer is my weight. I have been doing fitday, logging my food, keeping the carbs down and I'm not losing any weight! Worse yet, I am HUNGRY! I have no idea what my body is doing right now (post partum, stopped nursing) so I figure that eventually something has to give --- right? Any suggestions?

Planning dinners in is tough Steph - especially when you're busy... I know its a cop out, but I usually buy a cooked chicken once a week; bag O salad, and bake potatos in the microwave. No mess and its pretty much prep-free and healthy. Plus my DH doesn't feel deprived. There are honestly nights when a bowl of cereal would suffice for me...

Juno SOUP? Can I get the recipe?

Three things I vow to do TODAY!

1. Get to the gym - Weight training day - Focus on challenging myself to lift more - not just go through the motions.
2. Write down my food in FITDAY and keep up my journal
3. Close the kitchen after dinner - No night time snacks! (this one will be tough)

Hope you're all having a great day - Steph / Juno take some time to breath! Sounds like you are both a little stretched!

Absmom
Old 05-13-2003, 02:57 PM   #9  

I read the post this morning and then haven't had a moment to write what I was going to get accomplished today! I have had a wild day and shouldn't even be stopping to relax (yes that is what computer time is to me!). I already exercised at nap so that was good because I was real close to blowing it off because the day was overwhelming me. I think I feel better and in more control now.

1) I have to go grocery shopping and Costco shopping and I need to buy more fruits and vegetables because we are really running low. I also need to find some quicker fixes for when I am strapped for time.

2) Exercise (yeah I did that!!)

3) Okay I am allowing us to eat out tonight but then I am making it mandatory that we do not have fast food on Thur when one boy has soccer practice and the other has a game after it. I will start right now pre-planning!

Absmom - I am not good about eating meat on the bone or picking it off. We are pathetic here - everything is boneless!!! But I have been looking into meals that I can put in the crock and just toss stuff in. Yesterday I made this easy porkchop thing and it worked out good. Hang in there - I just switched around my routines last month and after a very long plateau the darn extra weight is leaving again!

Juno - Okay we had a simple vacation plan for the summer and then my mom is messing it all up and I spent the morning trying to fix iit and am now way over the budget I had set up. Oh well!! Both places we are going have kitchens so I am really going to eat healthy the whole time in the condos....I am way preplanning since we aren't gone for another month.

Okay I am really strapped for time today. I have a gift certificate for a massage and I am going to make an appt. by tomorrow to find the time to use it by next week. I need a moment plus I have a stiff neck. I could whine and whine today but the best thing is for me to move forward and get some stuff done!

Steph
Old 05-14-2003, 04:26 AM   #10  

Okay this is working great! I also like this "quick reply" feature - new since the <ahem> sabbatical...

Abs - you so rock with the tri training. I love to work out but never venture into the world of competition - but what a challenge. Like you I RUE the scales, often - it can just defy logic. You could be eating too little and stalling metabolism, could be a water thing, baby weight is weird and goes falls off in spurts, and there is the muscle mass thing. I am also convinced that there is so much more to it than the standard 3500 calorie/pound body machine thing. It is the truth but it isn't the entire truth. I find that varying my calorie intake (called the Wendie plan - google it, it is a form of weight watchers) helped a bit - same cals in the long haul (averaged) but varied so that there are low and high days. Let me know what you think.

Juno Soup is not one specific soup, it is homemade soup full of vegetables with maybe some beans, maybe lentils, maybe rice, etc. Lots of good-for-you stuff, trying for 100 cals a cup appx (nonscientifically mind you). No recipe, but I sure do better if some is on hand. This last batch was too salty and I wanted to add some more veggies - I was time-maxed but found 'soup vegetables' in the frozen foods and plunked them in - they are great! I like thick soup, not runny.

Steph - you sound as maxed as me. Today slid from crazy to insane. Band concert tonight. Means we have 10 minutes to eat - literally. I make grilled cheese sandwiches on these days, and if there was a way to prechew them and stuff them in everyone... (Yes I did do my Juno soup too). Where is the vacation?

The 3 things really help. A couple of times today I asked myself now what were those 3 things, and reviewing them caused me to do some water and tea and eat the second soup. More than 3 I could never remember hehe.

Tomorrow:

1. If I can't make it to work out at the club (and that is a strong likelihood) , 5 exercises x 100 reps here at home (500 reps total to make a mini workout). So one or the other.
2. 5 servings of fruits and veggies (soup counts) in the day.
3. Even if it is only 20 minutes, a NAP. Wednesday is going to be a really tough day.

Okay - let's face the day friends.

Juno
Old 05-14-2003, 09:07 AM   #11  

I am hopping on here at the beginning of the day to organize my own thoughts on what I need to get done. Today is a pretty calm day as 3 kids are not here and no activities tonight! Next week is tough and the week before Memorial Day is horrible. But I shall survive - it is almost summer after all

Juno - I wish I liked soup because that would be so easy but I don't like broth and just tend to pick out the foods in it. So I don't even bother. I have been making extra veggies at lunch (a serving for me along with the daycare) so I am getting in another serving there.

Okay todays goals...
1) Do not munch on daycare kids food!!! I found myself doing that several times the past few days which is a rarity so I need to stop that bad habit immediately. I don't know why I started it again.
2) Exercise at nap time so I can try and get in for a massage this evening if there is an opening.
3) Be tougher on the cardio (I've been wimpy because I had a sore neck)

I hope everyone makes their goals and Juno - take that nap!!
Absmom - I am going to picture you training for the triathalon and push myself a bit harder today. I want to do some type of different activity this summer on vacation. I want kayaking or something but on a hard level not easy cruise down the river. I couldn't do it years ago but I have so much more strength and stamina now.

Happy Wednesday - need to go eat breakfast!

Steph
Old 05-14-2003, 02:44 PM   #12  

Steph - I have a hard enough time not eating one DDs food, I can't imagine dealing with a daycare full...

I will never whine about the pace of my life with either of you. While my time is not truly mine at the moment - I don't yet have the demands of school aged children or outside jobs to add to the mix.

That said, I missed the gym today. I started my period again (I'll spare the details). I am hoping though that this explains the weight issue, although I'm curious about the Wendy plan... I have done WW more that I want to admit to, but NEVER want to spend another cent on losing weight. Honestly, I know every calorie count, have read every book and know that if I ever want to join the land of the 5%'ers that I need to figure out why this has been such an issue in my life and deal with it. I also know that without exercise there can be no permanent success.

Luckily, I am enjoying the exercise. I don't know if its the 60 minutes of ME time, the process or the results Im starting to see, but I'm really into it this time. The big race is also heavy on my mind, but I know that I have plenty of time to catch up with my sisters, finish and not hold them back. One of my sisters is a little (sarcastic) competitive and I would just like to be on par with her for once...

Another thing I wanted to share is my new heart monitor. Nothing fancy , but very helpful in keeping me honest and working hard. Its something the Tri book insisted on, and its really made a difference.

Steph - Pick something you've always wanted to do - Kayaking is great exercise and really push yourself. I've done alot of running races (just to finish, not competitive, the longest a 10K) but the excitement of the event itself and the satisfaction of finishing, improving personal times, collecting a new t-shirt is amazing. I can picture what finishing the Tri will be like and I hope its everything and more. Its the most ambitious sports event I've ever attempted and I really want to savor every moment.

Well, nap time is definately over, Audrey is SCREAMING!! OH OH OH --- Three things today::
1. FITDAY FITDAY FITDAY
2. Ab work at home since I skipped the gym and if the rain holds out go for a bike ride when DH gets home
3. Green Tea and no night time snacks!!!

Cheers!
Absmom
Old 05-14-2003, 02:52 PM   #13  

Fun you guys --

I'm on the fly, but...

Steph I don't like brothy soups either. Mine are chunky like a stew or I put most of them in the blender so they are really thick, like a chowder (though not made with a roux base like a chowder). I put in lots of garlic, black pepper and whatever spices I want so it is really good. I sometimes put mozz or parm cheese on top.

Absmom, I do not go to or pay for WW. I never have, though from what I can glean it is a good program and probably worth it for the support and for someone who needs to learn a system. The wendie thing is more renegade, the gal who invented it (named....guess!) was frustrated with plateaus on WW so developed this. If I think if it I'll find where she explains it and get the link in here. It is not endorsed by WW. I just use it as a guide for eating low/med/high in cals and calculating exercise etc.

I have tried some WW recipes from their magazine and they were a hit with my family I'll add.

Okay back to work.

Juno
Old 05-14-2003, 04:40 PM   #14  

Default This link is to Wendie - FWIW

http://groups.msn.com/POINTingMyWayt...endieplan.msnw
Old 05-15-2003, 10:09 AM   #15  

Good morning.

Decided to try a morning post... Will the nap last??? We'll soon find out...

As for yesterday's goals - I did do my ab-work, but didn't get in the bike ride. It was threatening out, but I mostly bailed because of the kids. The little one was fussy with a cold and the 3 yr old was just plain tired.... My energy was ZAPPED! I had a few pieces of biscotti with my tea last night. The bag is now empty and I will buy no more until the scale starts moving again. I fitday'd, and can see where I need to make some adjustments.

Thanks for the link to the WendiePlan! I think I will give it a try. Since yesterday's cals were a bit on the high side, I am going to try to have a low day today. (I guess that will be #1 on my daily list).

And now since my baby is up I will officially start my day!
#2 RUN hard!! Invervals for 5km is my goal
#3 Read instead of vegging in front of the TV (I've gotten into quite a funk since the baby was born.)

I've had soup on the mind since Monday so I made some black bean for lunch today---- smells SO good .

Happy Thursday to you all!!
Closed Thread