Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #16  
Empress/Queen

Smile Day 1 Result

Huzzah, with only 15 minutes to go in Day 1, I can call it. Was going for a low day but had to settle for a success on the challenge as still SO hungry. But I am pleased to announce a success:

Huzzah, with only 5 minutes to go in Day 1, I can call it. Was going for a low day but had to settle for a success on the challenge as still SO hungry. But I am pleased to announce a success:

21-Day Challenge, 1900 Calories or Less
Day 1: 1890
Day 2: TBD

Wildfire, I did finally get somewhat of an answer re what I was waiting for, it will be a week or so before I know the final result. So I continue in La La Land awhile ... it was ever thus lol.

Such a nice thought of your being kept warm by your snuggly doggie.

I for sure am enjoying the warmth for you all.

And thinking of all royals near and far whether lurking or wandering the universe. Huzzah to all.

For me, I am nine minutes away from DAY 2 and enjoying my challenge and visits to Palace 2013!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-24-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #17  
Empress/Queen

Slogging on with the 21-day challenge, but will update on Sunday from here on out, Royal Ones! Huzzah!

Hope all have a GREAT day!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #18  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile Day 1, take 2

Good morning, lovelies. The temps are moderating a bit here and I'm gradually recovering, feeling a bit less dragged out -- although still inclined to rest.

Challenge crashed on Thursday. No binges but ate out of the legal area and yesterday neither got my steps nor did yoga. I'm back from yoga class now and just letting my hair dry before I head out into the still-frigid air for a walk. In the meantime,

We're going to dinner at our best friend couple's ce soir. Dinner's bound to be healthy and delicious and I'm thinking I'll make my mind up right now not to eat the potato chips they inevitably put out beforehand or the dessert.

The week ahead is going to be a little on the brutal side. Deadlines and uninteresting, challenging stuff to write about. Ah well, month ends on Thursday. I'm trying to get myself psyched up to function like a well-oiled (and simultaneously self-nurturing) machine.

Amarantha, thanks for the warm thoughts! I'll enjoy your temperatures vicariously. Ahhhhhh!!! We're supposed to get up above the freezing mark by mid-week, which will be kind of a treat. Even makes a difference in the house. And, anyway, getting on for the end of January. Only one more month of serious winter.

A German shepherd, eh, Wildfire? Maybe I should get one. Current bed partner, DH, is not so much cuddly as like a flippin' and floppin', twistin' and twitchin' 6'4 package of knees and elbows.

Huzzah to all queenly folk in the palace or on walkabout. Let's celebrate this day!

Last edited by Arabella; 01-26-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #19  
Empress/Queen

Wootness! Just to share that Am2, Empress/Queen of Her Own Life, Minion to the Royal Am2 Canine, & Some Other Titles, is significantly feeling better today despite the second rainy day in a row!

She be announcing to the world that she lost 1.6 pounds on the Golden Scale this morning.

It was NOT flu that did it! T'was that Am2 worked really hard at calorie control and exercise, as well as proper rest and food choices.

This elevator is going DOWN to the 120s SOON!

Arabella, hope the dinner party was fun and the potato chips weren't too tempting. I am a foe of potato chips. Kind of useless calories, not even tasty to me, although I like the crunch and salt. Ahhh, but good restaurant corn chips with good restaurant salsa, now THAT is a deal breaker. I have to forbid self to even get started on those when they are put on the table.

Love to all queenlies and other sundry royal folk who wander hither & yon in these threads and/or in the universe at large.

Arabella, hope your work week passes pleasantly.

Working on Day 5 of my 21-day challenge & here be the log. I'll update on my weigh-in days for this.

21-Day Challenge, 1900 Calories or Less
Day 1: 1890
Day 2: 1610
Day 3: 1525
Day 4: 1490
Day 5: TBD

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #20  

Default Day 2

I ignored the potato chips. I do like them, if they're the good kind but managed to leave them alone. Had a small serving of Moroccan stew and brown rice, some salad greens. Then lemon Pavlova for dessert, but all-in-all, not disastrous.

The not-so-good thing is that I'm exhausted again today. I suppose I overdid it yesterday between walking, a strenuous yoga class, shopping and going out in the evening. Walked today but will just do some gentle yoga and try to rest up. It's bumming me out. I really should try to hold back more in yoga class but it's very hard to opt out when the instructor is saying "keep going" and etc.

Ah well, once I'm further down this fitness road, things'll be easier. In the meantime, trying, trying, trying to give me what I need.

Amarantha, so glad you're feeling better! That flu is really laying wide swaths of the countryside low. Congrats on the wildly successful Golden Scale ritual.

Speaking of salsa, I made an Indian version of pico de gallo last weekend. It was so good! Now if only I could come up with a good substitute for the nacho chips.

Going to soak in a hot tub and see if that restores my spirits. Let's take this day and make the best of it.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #21  
Empress/Queen

Good job on the ignoring chips front, Arabella. I'm exhausted, too, forcing myself through the 10,000 steps while taking naps but wanted to chime in re substitutes for corn chips. I use plain old original Triscuits for pico de gallo, guacamole & salsa. A lot of people don't eat wheat but I use whole wheat instead of the more high glycemic corn & I can't tell the difference in satisfaction. Mary's Gone crackers are also great substitutes.

Woot!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #22  

Great ladies i have followed your conversation and I must say I am excited. I will continue reading and make posts where possible.
Flowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #23  

Welcome, Flowers! We're happy to have you in the palace.

Amarantha, I'm sensitive to gluten, as with so many other substances both physical and o/w. I am such a petal. Thinking that chickpea flour would probably work for making crackers that would be good for salsa.

Often I see people discussing salsa as a substitute for dips. Have to admit that dipping veggies into salsa doesn't quite cut it for me.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #24  
Empress/Queen

Huzzah, nice to meet you, Flowers. Welcome.

Arabella, the Mary's Gone Crackers are gluten free. Chickpea flour sounds great. I have never had any of that, never made crackers. I am doing a Sprouts shopping tomorrow & may get some chickpea flour and make something with it.

I don't dip veggies in salsa, just chips, also I put it on whatever I might be eating at a restaurant. Perks everything up.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-27-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #25  

Default Day 1, that's ok

Monday and Day 1 again. That's OK, the way we build these habits is to keep on trying. No major slippages, just had a couple of bites while I cooked yesterday.

In the good news department, I'm down a pound. And since I'd had an unaccountable bounce upwards after my initial weigh in, I'm happy with that. Onward!

I worked out that switching to black coffee will net approximately 12 pounds by the end of the year, so I'm making that change. I like black coffee after I get used to the difference. And 12 pounds is not insignificant. Looking at other habitual calories I can cut, for example by having alcohol less frequently. And emphasizing veggies as snacks.

Amarantha, crackers are so easy to make that every time I do it I wonder why I ever buy such things. I don't often buy them anyway but I'm thinking keeping some healthy ones on hand, along with some salsa, might provide useful snacks when needed.

K, this is a big work week and I should jump in with a vengeance. Let's make this a good one!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #26  
Empress/Queen

Woot! Congratulations on the pound down, Wood Nymph! That is great!

Yea, I think the 21-day challenges are fun because we sometimes start them over. Like the first try is practice.

Mine is going well and in steady state. Doing this was a great idea!

I forgot about making crackers when I was in Sprout's and got some Van's new gluten free cheese crackers. I crumbled these over a foil packet of low sodium tuna for lunch. Was delicious.

I do want to make crackers, will work on that. I bet they are awesome. I love crackers.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #27  

Default Day 1, rejigged

I didn't manage yoga yesterday and had a snack in the afternoon when I wasn't really hungry. What I needed was a nap. I can't really usually sleep in the day, no matter how tired, but I could have lain down for 20 minutes and listened to a guided meditation, which always helps.

Anyway, a new day and a rejigged plan: I'm expanding the yoga part of the plan to include tai chi or chi qong -- can do any of the three. O/w, still only eating at the table when alone, eating when hungry and not otherwise, getting 10,000 steps. Other things, but not specified in stipulations.

Amarantha, I love crackers too but am inclined to eat too many of them when I make them. Probably best to limit such things to "occasional" even if healthy. As my doctor said "Cows get fat eating grass and hay."

Your tuna and crumpled cracker lunch sounds great, though. I'll try similar.

Gotta run before I time out. Let's make this a good one!

Last edited by Arabella; 01-29-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #28  
Empress/Queen

Good idea expanding the plan to include more kinds of workouts, Wood Nymph.

I took an unexpected road trip yesterday to take a friend to her home from the city. We did stop to eat "junk" food a couple of times but becausecI have carefully written this challenge as far as making sure I have enough calories to calorie cycle, I did well & am slogging on.

I did not do the full 10,000 steps, although I did weights. I am ratcheting back exercise for a while to include a rest day as may be working soon, or not, but need to make the X factor a focus on just the steps some days & building back that.

Thinking of all royals near & far&!ave a good day, all.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-30-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #29  

Day 1 again here. I was tired and didn't make myself go for a second walk, ended up with 7785 steps. No yoga or sub. either. Did fine on the food front.

This being the deadline-clogged week that it is, and being still under the weather, I'm not disturbed with that behavior.

I'm heading out for a walk soon, as our cold weather is going > snow > ice pellets > freezing rain > rain today and there's a wind warning in effect as well. I'm getting out ahead of all that and then will be home and cozy.

Amarantha, I hope your "working soon" does happen if it will please your royal self!

Let's make this a good one!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #30  
Hot Stuff

I'm still here! DD was in a car accident so I've been sidelined helping her get her car to repair shops, her to doctors, babysitting, etc. She is okay other than a nasty case of whiplash, but it could have been much worse. She slid on icy roads and hit a metal pole.

Anyway, I've lost track so I'm starting over tomorrow. Have made the change to the women's gym, starting there on Friday.

Glad to see you two are still at it! I'll be back when I have more time to catch up.

Hey, welcome Flower!! Feel free to join us!
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote