3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #37 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/273076-steel-magnolias-37-a.html)

Maggie 01-16-2013 11:23 AM

Hallelujah Humpday

:D
GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Did I give you gals my recipe for Jicama ~ Orange salad which is yummy? Here it is and if I did give it to you before you can just ignore it this round. :lol:

JICAMA ~ ORANGE SALAD
Whisk together:
¼ cup Vinegar
½ tsp. sugar (I use Splenda®)
¼ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. canola oil
Add & toss gently to coat:
1 peeled julienne cut jicama
1 julienne cut red bell pepper
1 red onion thinly sliced
2 navel oranges, peeled & sliced in rounds
Refrigerate for 2 hours
Serves 4: 1 Points+ per serving

I made a batch of it yesterday and it was so delicious with some of the stew I cooked. I also have a “Jicama ~ Watermelon Salad” recipe that is yummy when the melon is in season. The store here that we find the Jicama is Wal*Mart. I also like to eat it just by itself for I like the taste and the crunch.

The temps today will be a bit higher in the 50º area and we are ready for warmer weather. This cold weather dries out my nose something fierce. I sure don’t dawdle when getting dressed after my morning shower. Burrr. Will likes the heat set lower than I do so I wear a sweater when he is in just his shirt sleeves. I have this neat sweatshirt type material, but heavier, jacket that I keep handy to throw on when I get chilled just before the heater comes on. I think losing weight has made me more chilled because I used to be warmer all the time.

I am getting lots of junk mail telling me my credit rating has gone way up. I never knew it was way down to have to go up anyway. Folks are trying their best to get us to buy stuff and since prices are up they want people to charge things. I refuse to charge anything. If I don’t have the money to buy something I wait till I do if it is something I “must” have. :yes: I use my e-mail blocker a lot for those kinds of e-mails. They just pop out of the wood work it seems ~ new ones every day.

I think for dinner we will have a re-run of last nights fare. It was so good we will enjoy it once again. I may make some little biscuits to go with the stew tonight.

Will just called and said he is going to look for a TV that we can watch movies on. Not one nearly as large as we had though. We are not getting it hooked up to “use as a TV” for sure but it will be a bit bigger than our computers to watch the movies on. Our home theater so to speak.

SUSAN I agree with you for this 360 WW program is wonderful. Fits the person better and gives a fresh look at losing weight the healthy way. I love the fact that they want us to have lots of fruits and veggies for that is right down my alley. :p Sounds like you are having a good time with your quilting friends. That flu has really taken a toll of folks across this country. I bet you will find you will like eating with chopsticks. Fast eaters would surely slow down if they learned to use them. :D Don't ya think?

DONNA FAYE and JEAN Hope all is well with you this wonderful day.

Have a great day Magnolias ~ Type at y'all later.

gma22 01-16-2013 03:08 PM

Afternoon gals. I was positive I came in here this morning and posted but it isn't here. I guess I will do this again.

I am hoping one of my yarn purchases gets here tomorrow so I can either finish Jay's hat or work on Jack's. I work on my stuff, but it is more fun to make something for someone else.

It was so icy this morning that Jack took the day off. He goes to work in the dark and these people drive so dangerously that he doesn't trust them hitting black ice and crashing into him so he stayed home. He is upstairs playing Risk I imagine and I am finishing cleaning the kitchen. I am almost done, but I have been cold all day. Our house is so drafty that when it is so cold like this I can't ever get warm.

Susan: I don't disagree about the new program and the last one too, but I know what I need to do and have heard everything for 30 years about losing weight and why you eat, etc, etc, so I don't feel I need to pay to hear it again. I am also trying to make my snacks veggies, cheese, fruit that sort of thing though I still eat carbs, but have cut way back on them. I understand WW is trying to get people healthy not just lose weight, but frankly, it is way too expensive for me to spend that kind of money each week for things that for me are rhetorical. I think it is great for someone who is "new" to the weight loss game and well worth the money to them or for people who need someone "watching" them so to speak.

Maggie: I have looked all over for jicama and that includes WM and haven't found it anywhere. I would really like to try it as a change of pace. I keep hearing how good it is, but can't find the darn stuff. I have gone to Fresh Market, Super Target, Walmart, a couple of Krogers, and Whole Foods with no luck.

I need to finish up my work so I am outta here. Have a great middle of the week. Faye

gma22 01-17-2013 07:42 AM

Good morning to you all! It has warmed up a bit and should be in the 40's today and no rain. I am now going to have to get out on the deck and sweep up all the salt that didn't melt when it rained.

Jack headed out about half an hour ago for work and I have my daily chores done already so just have to get to my cleaning chores for the day. I have a load of laundry in the washer and have to clean the upstairs bathrooms today and dust up there. This weekend is commissary, shampoo carpets and have dinner with the kids. It should keep us busy. Jack has Monday off of course so that gives us an extra day to get things done.

I hope all my yarn comes today and I can get Jay's hat finished and laundered and blocked and start on Jack's. I have a lot of duplicate stitching on Jay's so that might take awhile.

My WW is coming along fine. I am running out of stuff though so sure have to get to the commissary on Saturday instead of Sunday. I try to buy enough to last but things like bananas and stuff like that spoil so I always have to make trips to the grocery in town or Jack does as he usually stops after work.

We have been working on colors and such for the downstairs. I am hoping we have enough money after the flooring, countertops, paint and a couple of chairs for the living room to at least get unfinished cabinets and put new cabinets in. If not, we can survive with what we have stripping them down and repainting them, but we have to find a couple drawer replacements. What idiots thought it would be a good idea to use plastic to hold the drawers to the fronts, I don't know, but they did as cheap as they could get in this place. The countertops are pressed wood for heavens sake and at they age they are, the undersides will just flake off in your hands.

Well I guess I should get out of here. I hope you all are doing well and keeping busy. Have a lovely day today. Faye

Maggie 01-17-2013 12:44 PM

Titilating Chilly Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I had another good night’s sleep and am up early again this day. I am currently making a loaf of Ricotta Bread this day and have it going in my little bread machine ~ it is so yummy & well worth the 3P+ per slice~ especially toasted with a skiff of WW cream cheese on it. It may not even be that many points since I lighten it by using beaters for the egg and Splenda® that measures like sugar. I don’t eat much bread unless it is really good but I don’t pig out on this either. It is Will’s second favorite since Sour Dough Bread is his most favorite. Makes my mouth water to think of it. :lol: The Cuties we got at the market are now so good and a bit larger & juicer than the last batch we had. I love those little things. I peel a couple and separate the sections and have them on a paper plate to snack on. A definitely “good for me” snack which I enjoy. They are so incredibly easy to peel. :yes: I also got some of that WW cheese with jalapenos that will be great with celery sticks which I have cut up and ready to be munched.

Our new “movie box” will be delivered tomorrow and we have a place for it in the front room. Some things won’t fit in the Jeep with the top up but we don’t want to put it down this time of the year so we are having it delivered. Time has come to put all the holiday decorations away that are on that bench and around the room so I will do that this afternoon. I would have done it last week but we were out of town, but now I need to really get it done. I’ll have Will pull the boxes out of the closet and put the things away in the proper containers to be gotten out again next holiday season. It is so much more fun to decorate :cp: than to put it all away again. :eek: Some of the little things I bought will stay up with the houses though for they are not holiday oriented. That little glass cow looks so cute by the barn next to a small bale of hay and the glass sun hanging over it all.

We have an invitation to attend the County Historical Society annual meeting where new officers and trustees will be elected. They are putting Will forth as a trustee which will be voted on. That will be good if he is on the board for they deal with the museum where he is a volunteer and he will have a “say so” of what is decided. It is at 7 pm on Monday the 28th so I will weigh in only at WW that evening and not stay for the meeting.

DONNA FAYE I thought of you when I was looking through one of the many catalogues I get ~ there was a pair of knee sox that were georgeous with different colors of yarn in them. Now if I can remember which catalogue I saw them in I just might order them. I mostly just wear black knee highs but those would be fun to have. Anyway I have to find them again so I can order them. Sounds like you are getting your ducks in a row and are back to some serious weight loss measures. Ask Wal*Mart to stock some jicama and they probably will look into doing so. One of our local markets and Wal*Mart have it here. Maybe becusee it is a root and looks like a turnip somewhat folks don't buy it not knowing it is so good after you peel that brownish cover off. The markets here will stock items that we request. My WW leader sent that recipe I posted out to all members that she had e-mail address to. Now the stores around here will be asked "where is the jucama." :p

Have a great day Magnolias ~ Type at y’all later.

gma22 01-18-2013 08:09 AM

Good morning everyone! It is cool this morning but going to be up in the upper 40's today and yay.....:sunny: It is supposed to be nice tomorrow too with the temps up around 60 so that will be nice to go shopping and to go to dinner at the kids. I am taking crescent rolls and sopapilla cheesecake, but though I will probably have a roll, no dessert for me.

I asked Jack to find me some cherry cordial sf ice cream that Kroger's carries last night and he found some lowfat vanilla too. He likes root beer floats. :lol: Anyway, this was exceptional vanilla ice cream and only 2 pts for a serving. Jack can have a root beer float with diet IBC and the ice cream and it only costs him 2 pts. Now that's a way to have a sweet without mucking everything up.

I am working on Jay's hat trying to finish it and then get the duplicate stitching done. I may look online and see if I can find a clover chart and put a clover on each side of "Fighting Irish" if there is room. I love the internet! :lol: I sure can get things I used to have to hunt around in stores for. Cross stitch patterns are the best for using on knitting too.

I got the nicest compliment from my dd on facebook. She says she has been wearing one of the hats I made her since it has been cold and she gets lots of comments about it and her socks (which she probably has 6-7 pairs of as I make her a pair for her birthday every year.) I really love to knit for other people and have them enjoy what I knit. It is much more satisfying than knitting for yourself. :lol:

Maggie: I have some of that jalapeno cream cheese that WW makes. It is great on all kinds of things. Sounds like yummy bread. Jack despises ricotta cheese though or I would get the recipe from you. I really need to fool with my break maker and see if I can get it to work properly. It is pretty much brand new. I always hated taking down the decorations. You have to search for the proper box that this or that goes in and make sure everything is packed correctly, etc. I am just glad we are in the new year. It is that much closer to our cruise. :lol: I found a website to buy a dress for formal nights and am hoping that by Sept I have lost enough weight to have one made for me. Jack and I picked out several styles, but I really like the one I saw that had the little bolero jacket with it. I love color, but Jack wants me to get a black one. I compromised with navy blue. :lol:

Well girls, I need to start on chores. I hope you have a great weekend. We are going to be busy. Faye

Maggie 01-18-2013 12:18 PM

Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

While out on the west coast some nut job stole our locking gas cap that came with the Jeep. Guess he had a key that would fit to unlock it. Anyway we bought a cap that wasn’t an expensive locking one to have a cap on the way home. When we got back we ordered a gas hatch cover in black from Quadratec® that Will installed on the Jeep last evening and what was so neat it used the existing holes so he didn’t have to drill any other holes in the Jeep to get it installed. It came with keys that aren’t generic and is a door over the existing gas cap installed with those locking screws. I imagine with the gas prices so high these days’ folks are getting gas out of lots of vehicles since it is so easy to do. I wonder if the person who took our cap was fixing to get some gas and got interrupted or if he just wanted the cap. Whichever ~ I am just glad all he got was the cap. We always try to keep at least a half a tank of gas in that vehicle. When I was quite younger I owned a Pinto car that was screaming green. One day I came out of wherever I was and noticed I had a yellow gas cap. Next week I had a red one and then a blue one then a green one that matched my car. I then bought a locking cap and threw the green one under the seat. One day I saw a man with a green car with a yellow cap and asked if he wanted a green cap and gave it to him ~ then I had a yellow cap under my seat and on it went. That game never stopped until I traded that car in on something else.

Also Will had ordered on an auction on line some carbon steel knives and got me some nice kitchen knives for great prices and they are sure pretty. There are swirls on the carbon steel and designs of that sort and the handles are made of pretty wood and bone. One of them is so cute it is a small dagger type that will be a great paring knife. My knife block in the kitchen now has a different look. :lol: All of the handles don’t match anymore and I am slowly getting rid of those stainless steel ones I have had for years.

I ordered (with some of my Christmas money) a round grill press by Lodge which is cast iron that will be great for it has a stay cool handle on it. The one I have had for years is square and has ridges on it for panini's to use in my square cast iron pan with ridges when I make them on top of the stove. The new one is round and will not have the ridges and is good for bacon, steak & other things besides sandwiches and can be used on the outside barbie. And another good thing about this press is that it can go into the oven where the one with the plastic knob could not. I season all my cast iron pans then dry them real good in the oven after washing them so they all have to be oven proof for that process. I have uses for both styles.

Will picked up a book for me off the sale table at the library today that is a hoot. It is named Feasting On Asphalt by Alton Brown. What it is ~ is 3 guys that took off on a run along the Mississippi river riding their motor bikes and eating local foods. There are some really interesting different recipes scattered about in the book from their travels. One that caught my eye that I am going to try this coming summer is called “Koolickles.” It calls for 1 gallon jar of dill pickles, 2 packages of non sweetened cherry Kool Aid & a pound of sugar. I will cut the recipe in half and use Splenda® that measures like sugar in it. What you do is drain the juice off the pickles into a large container & add the Kool Aid & sugar to the mixture stirring till dissolved. Remove the pickles from the jar and slice them in half down the middle lengthwise then return them to the jar. Return the liquid to the jar of pickles ~ not all of the liquid will fit but make sure all the pickles are completely covered. Place in the refrigerator for one week before eating. They say, “Strange though they are, these bright pink beauties are extraordinarily refreshing on a hot summer day.”

DONNA FAYE I am not surprised that Jack wouldn’t like that bread if he knows it has ricotta cheese in it ~ however you can’t taste the cheese in it ~ the bread tastes like cake. :cp: I never eat just “ricotta cheese” by itself for it does have a strange taste but I cook with it or put some sweetener in it or sugar free jam and use it as a spread on toast. It is a good feeling when someone really appreciates and likes what you knit for them isn’t it. Don’t you just love gifting things you have made for folks. I located that catalogue that offers two different pairs of stripped knee sox and ordered both. They have cashmere in them which should make them very soft and work well under my brace. The catalogue is The Vermont Country Store and they say they are the "purveyors of the practical and hard-to-find." Interesting items are lurking in their pages. :yes:

Here is a PS:
For some of you that don’t know how to pronounce Jicama in the recent recipe I posted ~ this is it from Meriam Webster: \’hē-kƏ-mƏ\ . I hope that is helpful in finding it in your local market. I find it pays to know how to pronounce something that you are looking for. It is an edible starchy tuberous root of a tropical American vine (Pachyrhizus erosus) of the legume family that is eaten raw or cooked. I personally have never cooked it because I like it raw so much. I like the fresh crispness of it. There now you have a tutorial on jicama. :lol:

gma22 01-19-2013 08:51 AM

Good morning ladies. We are heading out in about 45 minutes to the commissary. I have lots to do today running errands and have to get the cheesecake and rolls baked so we can be there around 5 pm. I may have to put some of the errands off until tomorrow or Monday even since Jack is home on Monday.

Doing well on WW. I have to get a couple new batteries for our scale as it klunked out on us this morning. It takes those disc type batteries so we don't have any at home. Jack says you can get them all over the place so I hope in my errand shopping I can find them so I can weigh in on Monday.

Maggie: I sure wish I could find the jicama. I would like to try it. I know it looks similar to a turnip except not the pink on the outside, but I have scoured every place that has produce and nuh uh. I will just have to keep looking for it. I noticed gas prices creeping up again. We have a refinery here in town and they have quit refining the more expensive oil so it keeps prices down more so than other places I guess.

Fortune is over her barking at me because Jack is upstairs and he isn't getting attention. :lol: He is one spoiled pooch.

You all have a nice Saturday. I am out of here to get myself some breakfast befor we leave. Faye

Maggie 01-19-2013 02:52 PM

Simply Sunny Beautiful Chilly Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Getting up so much earlier I have started eating a brunch ~ mostly of fruit and veggies with a bit of protein called a boiled egg. I love those little Kiwi fruit globes and peal a couple of them and slice them and they are so yummy and slice a nice ripe tomato. I like to sprinkle some ground up Italian spices over the tomato slices.

The mail today brought us a new “Best Loved Bluegrass” CD that I am currently playing and it is a good one. There are two more that are supposed to have been mailed so that is a start on buying all that they have offered in this series. I think Will said there were hundreds of them in all that he is going to be getting a few at a time. :cp: These old artists really knew how to sing and harmonize well without all the new enhancements they use these days for singers. The wonderful sound of the banjos, guitars and mandolins is candy to the ears.

I haven’t decided yet what to cook for dinner but it will be a simple meal for sure with lots of fruit and veggies in it. Maybe a stir fry with fruit as a dessert. I’ll need to decide soon so I can get the meat thawed.

DONNA FAYE Have you asked any of the stores there to stock some jicama? Usually they will oblige a customer and at least check into the possibility of stocking it. A health food store would have some of the things the regular markets don’t carry so that would be a good place to check for it. I find it odd that a huge place like Memphis that you live in does not have any and this little po-dunk place we live in does. When I was in college and studied marketing that wouldn’t have been the case in our studies. The larger places usually have more choices to offer customers then the small towns do. OH ~ I can just smell those rolls baking in your oven. What kind of cheesecake are you making? I haven't made one of those in awhile and have quite a few yummy recipes for making them. I still have some of the pumpkin cheesecake I made for Thanksgiving in the freezer come to think of it.

Jean 01-19-2013 03:46 PM

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly and it's 45 degrees in my neighborhood today. Even thought it's good to be home, I'm feeling like the hamster running in his wheel. Have piles of laundry to do, and "stuff" to put away. I sorted through a USPS box of mail last night and have our local papers in a pile to read at my leisure. Jason's Kdg. teacher died while we were gone, and he he came for the funeral. I noticed headlines that there was a murder in a small town close by. Most of our snow is gone but it is supposed to head below 0 tomorrow. After two weeks of 80+ degrees that will seem extra cold!

I haven't taken time to read the back posts -- hope to do that tonight or tomorrow sometime.

"Gma" -- Hope the commissary trip was an easy one and you found the batteries you need for your scale. Are you doing WW online or going to a meeting. Congrats on doing well! :cp:

Maggie -- I can see I need to read up on your adventures! :yes: I was surprised to see two pages and only 22 posts here. We also have jicamas in both grocery stores and I imagine also at WM. FL gas prices did go up while we were there but here they are the same as when we left.

I need to fold some laundry and start another load. Enjoy the rest of your day! :wave:

Maggie 01-19-2013 04:40 PM

Back For A Bit

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It has warmed up to 60ºs this afternoon and feels like spring.:D

JEAN :welcome: home. I imagine the weather is a shock to your system after being in those wonderful Florida sunny :hot: days. Now don’t go and catch a cold from the shock to you system being back in winter weather. I do find it rather strange that in our small towns we can get Jicama and there isn’t any to be found in the Memphis area :shrug:. When we lived in TN we were able to buy it there ~ way back a few years ago even ~ but we didn’t live in Memphis though. :lol: I imagine all this talk about trying to find it will spur folks into a search for it. Growing up on the West Coast like I did ~ I remember it from my childhood as a snack food or sticks of it in my bag lunch to eat with my sandwich. To me it wasn’t any harder to find to buy than celery, radishes or lettuce. You name it and we had the veggies. It was a treat to see fields and fields of salad “stuff” growing when we were out there last week. I don’t envy you with all your laundry you have to do now.

gma22 01-20-2013 09:43 AM

Food morning to you all. A little chilly this morning but should warm up and glorious sun again.

I am having nutra grain eggos with sf syrup and fresh sliced strawberries, yum! I found some great strawberries on sale at the commissary. You can get some great produce and some only so so. I don't buy oranges there as I haven't ever found them to be very good.

I put Jay's hat back on the needles after having ripped the whole thing out. I now have to set up the chart to intarsia the ND and the shamrocks onto the hat. Gonna be interesting to set it up since the pattern charts are separate.

We had a nice time at Kelly's last night. Kelly and Tom told us a couple of funny stories that kept us laughing. Next month is BBQ from the shop across the street from us. Kelly gets to do dessert this time and we buy the Q. I told Jack we would use it as our dinner out for the month so we could enjoy it.

Jean: Glad to see you back. Hope you had a grand time. I am sorry about Jason's teacher. Commissary shopping was wonderful yesterday. There was nobody there so we didn't have to fight people nor were they stocking so the aisles were clear. We breezed right through and no line at checkout either. The only thing I couldn't find was ff bologna I wanted. Guess I will have to get it at Walmart, which is the only place I have seen it. Brrrr, sounds like you have some real cold weather in store for you.

Maggie: My dd said her Kroger has jicama but that is clear across town. I guess next time we get together I will run to Kroger's first and see if they have any. She did say to try Whole Foods. I got the giggles over the gas cap episodes. Sounds like that traveling pants story.

Well, Jack is ready to start the rugs so I need to go. Have a grand day today. Faye

Jean 01-20-2013 05:46 PM

Good Afternoon! It's 10 degrees here but feels like -5 with the wind. Bob sang at church even though he wasn't here for practices. Four out of the eight were out with the flu plus two of the subs that were to sing. It began snowing just I was leaving for church and continued into the early afternoon; we are "white" once again. I've been doing laundry and reading newspapers. I finally muddled through the gift shop money and called it good last night; I couldn't get figures on the daily sheets to match the money so it is what it is. I did go back and did a quick read of the posts while I was gone.

Maggie -- Several of the FL gift shops had huge barrels of marbles in all sizes and colors. I wonder why there is a shortage where you are. :dunno: Congrats on being half way to your goal! :cheer: I'm glad you had a safe trip while you were gone. The FL traffic was multiple lanes, exits, loops, and drive way too fast! My guess is most everyone was a tourist and didn't know where they were going; we saw lots of Garmins in cars. We'd still be sitting at the airport if we hadn't had one. We had gas stolen from our boat the first summer we left it at the lake so we bought a locking gas cap. It's good Will found something that will work on the Jeep. Your multiple gas cap colors story was too funny! I'm usually colder than Bob so often wear a couple extra layers. My little heater is humming along as I type.

"Gma" -- :congrat: on another 3#s gone forever. It sounds like you have your food plan working for you. I was under the impression that the Sandy Hook School was locked and the shooter shot through the doors. Our grandchildren are all in locked buildings but where there is a will, there's a way. Scary! :( I wish you could share your rain with us! We are so very dry. I had to laugh at your description of your "wanky" livingroom. We have no wall space either, with windows, stairs, and the stupid fireplace wall opening into the kitchen/tv area. We get text messages from Walgreens when our prescriptions are ready, or have to be ok'd by the doctor and not ready. Jason's teacher was 95 which really surprised me as she always appeared "young" to me. Over the years whenever I would see her she always asked about Jason, so I was glad he could come to the funeral. He got to visit with several teachers he had over the years, then went to the high school to visit with a couple of his favorites there, and ended up at Bob's office to say "hello." Bob's secretary has known Jason since he was about 7. Do you know what kind of mesh was used in your surgery? The ad was on tv while we were gone; Ann is a nurse and I asked about the mesh. Her husband had a heart valve replaced and has dacron mesh in him; she said the body will heal around the mesh. I'm sure Jay will love his hat and I really love Alicia's slippers! Red is my favorite color!

Susan -- Can you explain the eyebrow procedure? I am thinking about having it done but just haven't made the move. What kind of cheese do you put on your popcorn? :T That sounds good to me. I'm so glad that your screw can be removed in the doctor's office, and you won't need surgery. I hope it is as simple as he says it will be. :yes: From the sounds of the news on tv, every state has the flu bug. I was surprised at how many children have died from it. Maddie had it while we were gone, came on quick and Beth got her into the walk-in clinic after hours. Bad stuff!

I need to keep moving and get another load of laundry going. I have a luncheon tomorrow noon and then need to meet with the hospital accountant to see if I can get her to agree with my figures. Enjoy the rest of your day! :wave:

gma22 01-21-2013 10:00 AM

Good morning girls! It is cold outside this morning but nice and sunny. We did the dining room carpets yesterday and the living room this morning after breakfast they then are done for awhile again. We use a pretreater then shampoo so it works really well. We use the pretreater when he has an accident or throws up too and it works pretty good.

Today was weigh day and I am down another 3 lbs so that's 6 lbs and 9 since this doctors appt so I am pleased.

Jean: Sounds like LA with all the craziness. It isn't too bad around Port Canaveral except those stupid toll booths every 5 miles or so. Glad you had a good time though. You can keep your snow and you can have our rain too if you like. I just want spring to be here.

I have the "cuff" of the hat done and have started the body of the hat. As soon as it is as long as the cuff I will start the intarsia three rows up from that so that the intarsia work shows. I have my pattern all laid out, but I expect I will screw it up once or twice and have to take some of it out. I am going to go slow though so keep your fingers crossed. I just hope it turns out nicely. I have done fair aisle and intarsia is basically the same thing so I am not worried about doing that.

Jack wants to use the computer to file our taxes this morning so I have to go. Have a good day everyone!!! ;) Faye

Maggie 01-21-2013 04:02 PM

Weigh Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Yesterday Will preached for a church about an hour away and we had a pot-luck dinner with them after the services. Hallelujah someone brought a green salad with several bottles of dressing setting beside it. I made a bee line for that bowl and promptly filled my plate over half full of the salad mix and didn’t put any dressing on it and then was careful what I took to put on the other half of the plate. They had a table that groaned with lovely yummy tasting desserts which I declined. For my behavior I give myself a huge pat on the back for I felt good about my choices and was satisfied. The nice lady who sat next to me wanted me to take one little taste of some dessert she was enjoying and I looked her in the eye and said a very polite, “no thank you for it would make me break out in fat.” She laughed and said she had lost weight herself and understood about “food pushers.”

We just got back from running some errands even though the bank and post office are closed today lots of the stores are open. We found that a local market carries powdered peanut butter which is 1P+ per 2 tablespoons when it is reconstituted with water. I have not yet tried it but it has good raves from all who have tried it at the WW meeting I go to. I imagine it will be good in baked goods besides just eating with celery or in a sandwich. I am up a pound on my scale this day and know I didn’t go over in my daily points and even had some of the extra points left over so I don’t have a clue about the “why” of it. My body has done this before so I shouldn’t be all that surprised. I just don’t like it when it does happen though. I’ll find out the true skinny of it at weigh in later on this day. We are going to build a menu tonight and I am taking a whole bunch of recipes ~ it should be interesting for those who are going to participate will receive a WW cookbook.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you have that hat pattern pretty much figure out now and will have it knitted in no time. I am sure glad we don't toll roads here in the middle of the country ~ they don't have them out west either.:D

JEAN You have snow and we have sunshine and need rain. I don't think Will has checked in Wal*Mart for marbles for they may have them here. I know I can find them on line in all sizes but I just want some for ammo for my sling shot ~ they don't even have to be pretty.:p I'll find some that will work.

Jean 01-21-2013 05:58 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It was -9 when I got up this morning and has "warmed" up to 0. :brr: Too cold! This morning I counted money at church and then argued with the computer . . . the computer won. I don't like the new program and told the secretary to see if she could find the old one again. :hyper: Wishful thinking! I came home to pick up a friend for a short meeting and lunch with 8 other gals from the P.E.O. group, brought her back home then went to get my nails done. I have another load of laundry going and am trying to think of something hot for supper. I'm thinking soup of some sort. I have card club tonight; just hope I can keep from yawning.

"Gma" -- :congrat: on losing another 3#s! You have the scale going in the right direction for sure! :yes: I don't know about anywhere else, but in FL you can purchase a fast pass sticker, for the toll roads, and there is a marked lane that you just drive on through. The sticker is scanned as you go through. They can be purchased in several different places; you put money in an account and they will either text, telephone, or email you when there is less than $10.00 left. It's really slick when there is lots of traffic. Did you get some more yarn of Jay's hat?

Maggie -- You made good choices at the pot luck yesterday! :cheer: I admire you for passing up desserts! I can do that unless there are home made cookies or pie that looks "good." The bank I use for the gift shop was open today but the bank for the church money was not. They are right across the street from each other! Good luck at WW tonight; maybe you will have a surprise! ;)

The dryer is buzzing so I'm off! Enjoy your evening! :wave: