Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #46

Good morning girls. It got chilly last night but seems to have started warming up this morning. It is a beautiful sunny day out.

Not much going on here. Just the rug and that's it. It doesn't take very long with the new machine. It has a removable shampooer so you can do cars and chairs and stairs and stuff and I like that. I think before we go on vacation we will do the car seats and carpets so it is all spiffy.

The friends we met on the cruise last year aren't going to be able to go this year, which is a bummer. She said she hopes they can join us next time. They are such a nice couple and he is recouperating from shoulder surgery and then he will retire. I think she said she will retire by fall. They are in their 70's and still work but are in great health. When she told me she was 72 I was shocked.

Jean: I am so glad Sonny is getting acclimated even if Ernie isn't thrilled with the idea. Sooner or later they will probably be friends. Hope you don't have too much more nasty weather. Jack says he may have to go back to working those crazy 12 hour shifts again because they are predicting the Mississippi overflowing down here because of the heavy rains up north. Heaven help us I hope not. He is too old to have to keep up with that.

Maggie: Oh, I am sorry they discontinued your desserts. It is always a bummer when you find something you like and it ok pts wise. That happens with the commissary because they contract everything. I will go along buying something for weeks or even months then it disappears. That was really nice about the young man at the Ihop. Sometimes there's just not the kind of adult friendship or whatever in someone's life.

Well girls, Jack had to run and get bread and soda this morning as we ran out yesterday so he should be home and we can have breakfast in just a bit. Then it is onto chores for the day. You all have a wonderful Lord's Day. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! We got up to a few scattered rain drops and the usual wind. Bob is singing at church today so won't be home for another half hour or so. He goes around and straightens hymnals after church, one thing he is anal about and that's messy books. We have two and the paperback skinny one goes behind the thick bigger one! I have dinner in the oven and need to work on my rummage sale stuff later.

Maggie -- Sounds like you have acquired an adopted grandson. I'd say you are both lucky winners!

"Gma" -- That is too bad your new friends can't go on the cruise this time. I think it's fun to travel with another couple; maybe you will meet another nice couple to enjoy. I hope Jack doesn't have to work the long shifts. They are predicting big time flooding for Fargo, ND, again this year. I would need to check and see where that river goes from there -- seems like Bob said it goes north which puzzles my gray matter. He goes through (by) on his way to Canada fishing. Sonny's blue eyes are open wider since he has been home; he has a "look" that says "I didn't do it!" which makes me laugh. He's not cross eyed and I'm glad about that.

My stove timer is beeping so better check on my dinner. Hope you all enjoy a nice (relaxing for some) day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #3  

Good morning girls. We are supposed to have a nice spring day today. We are definitely watching the Mississippi as we already have a flood watch. The river crests at 34 and it is supposed to get to 32.5. The thing is, the heavy snows up north haven't melted, they are predicting more spring heavy rains and that water runs right down the Mississippi and overflows in Memphis. We have to just do a wait and see. We live far enough away we won't have issues, but getting Jack back and forth to work might cause problems again.

Quiet day yesterday. We spot cleaned, but decided to wait for a bit to do the rugs. I am having a bit of a rough time of it right now and I just asked him to wait since I help him move furniture and such. It will get done.

I waited him out and I won the dog food fight with Fortune. We refused to give him any treats or anything else until he eats each day then he can have treats for doing his business outside. He hasn't eaten in two days and turned his nose up at the two different kinds of food I put out yesterday. Well, he was hungry this morning because he was following me all around and when he saw I went and got dog food, he stood behind me in the kitchen until I had it made. I put it down and he sniffed then did a lick then sniffed again and looked up at me. I told him, "that's it buddy, eat it or don't." I guess he thought better about it and scarfed it down. My biggest concern is not the fact he does this, but he takes powdered kidney medicine and you can only put it in food. When he goes for days and won't eat it he doesn't get the medicine. Worse than a picky kid!

Jean: Jack wouldn't care if our books were backwards, upside down or whatever. I think it is nice he wants things neat and orderly. Glad Sonny is coming right along. I made a pot roast in the crockpot yesterday and it was really good. The meat was very tender and juicy. I took 2 cans of ff beef broth and mixed in 2 packages of onion gravy mix and one brown gravy and then cooked it for about 6 hours on high. I put in baby carrots and those canned new potatoes. Easy peasy, it was delicious and one container clean up.

You all have a good start to your week. I pretty much have the same routine everyday. Faye
Old 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday ~ Weigh Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is raining and that is so nice for we do need the moisture it leaves us with. When we went to that place about an hour’s drive away where Will preaches one Sunday a month yesterday we could see the hill crops were alive with green. The buffalo here in the outskirts of the city are not just munching on their hay anymore for the grass in their vast pen has come up and they are grazing about that area. Yes, spring is in the air. They say the rain will change over to snow during the night. It won’t last on the ground long though for it will melt and slowly soak in which will be good. A rancher friend of ours said that he never has had calves being born in April in snow before and this year was a first. The little critters all made it though and he has a nice crop of calves. Some other dear friends of ours own vast amounts of land around this area and have said we are welcome to take a metal detector and explore where ever we want. There are mounds where there used to be communities on their land and we may find some neat artifact items around them. We just may go and sift some dirt this summer.

I weighed this morning and my scale shows me the “same” as last week ~ the weight on the bar didn’t budge. I do so want to lose at least that ‘point 2’ that is keeping me from showing 90#s down. I can never count on my system to co-operate though. I will just have to wait and see what the WW scale says to me this evening for the “official” number and go on from there.

JEAN The Red River runs north because White Rock, SD (near the river's source) is 200+ feet 'higher' in elevation, than the northern plains area of Drayton, ND, causing the water to naturally flow down-hill, to the north eventually depositing it's waters into Lake Winnipeg. Hope that helps you better understand what Bob was saying about the river running north.

DONNA FAYE That is just too funny about your little dog. What a precious little guy. Aren't crock pots a wonderful way to cook. Do you use those bag inserts that make clean up so much easier? I love those for they sure make clean up easy. We have just enough roast left from the one I cooked that way to make sandwiches out of for lunch this day. That is too bad your new friends won't be able to cruise with you this go-round. Surely you can meet some nice folks this next time to pal around with.

SUSAN How goes it with you this day? Busy are you?

Have a lovely day Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another CRAPPY weather day in Iowa! We now have a basement that is showing "damp" around the edges of the laundry room; that makes me crabby too! If it doesn't quit raining we will have streams running to the drain, the cats tippy toe through, and make tracks upstairs. We balanced at church and I have my gift shop money ready to deposit; that was pretty skimpy this week. I need to keep working on my rummage sale stuff after I finish here.

"Gma" -- I'd like to see a nice spring day . . . and the sooner the better! This weather we've been having is just the pits. The farmers are grumpy and so is everyone else. I had to chuckle about Fortune and his food. How can you hold out when that cute little fact stares at you and looks so sad? I can almost smell your roast cooking. Maybe that will be on my list later this week.

Maggie -- We are supposed to get snow too. Yesterday's paper said that a lot of calves have been lost because of the cold wet weather. The cows have them away from the barn yard and the farmer doesn't find them until it's too late. Good luck at WW tonight! I hope the iron monster surprises you with a loss!

Hope you all are having a marvelous Monday whatever you are doing today! Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #6  

It is BIG TIME snowing!
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #7  

Good morning gals. Overcast but warm today. We are supposed to get some thunderstorms this evening. Memphis could start to be in trouble in a couple more weeks. Our flood stage for the river is 34ft and they expect close to that and that doesn't even count what weather currently up north will cause more havoc. Jack said this morning there is flooding in Arkansas so that's not good. He cracks me up because he's of the opinion if he ends up on those 12 hour shifts again watching the pumps that he doesn't mind and last time he made $4000 so that would pay for next years vacation! He did say though that he feels for the people in the low lands around the plant. They are poorer folks and can't afford to end up losing their home again as most of them don't have insurance and frankly I would imagine most people here don't have flood insurance anyway. We have 7 weeks until we go to Indiana and that could be impeded either by him having to work or just not being able to get there from flooding. We have to drive across the Mississippi at Cairo, IL and the last time they had really bad flooding across the interstate. Ahh well, we will just have to see I guess.

Woohoo I am down another 2 lbs and am down a couple lbs below the next 10 lbs. I forgot to post yesterday.

Jean: I hope the weather settles down for you and you actually get into spring. Sometimes it is tough when that face looks at me like "What's going on? Why no treats?" I have to hold firm! He kind of stuck his nose up this morning at the chicken stuff but he will probably eat it this afternoon. It can waste a lot of that medicine though and the stuff is expensive. That's terrible about the cattle.

Maggie: Sometimes the most frustrating part is those couple lbs that really mean something when they go and really bug you when they don't. Be patient, they'll come off. I surely do understand though. It is a real fight for me sometimes with these meds. I will be so hungry I want to eat the furniture! I buy as small a roast as the commissary has, usually around 2 lbs then if I do have enough left over shred it for hot roast beef sandwiches and just keep some of the gravy from the pot roast.

I guess I should get some breakfast in me and get the day started. Have a good Tuesday! Faye
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Windy Snowey Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

I got up much earlier than usual this day to find that we have snow covering our yard. A big white carpet covers our grass and everything in our covered patio for the wind is blowing it all around. The animals make quick trips out back for sure. Cecil came in bringing his big wet feet tracking up my floor wanting his “good boy” treat.

I am so jazzed. I now need to concentrate on losing the next 10 pounds. 100 pounds down is so close I can see it. Got to keep my FOCUS for sure and drop this10. I know I will still have quite a bit to lose after that but reaching this mile stone has been out of sight for too long and I am now up for the challenge. So for right now I only have 10 pounds to lose. Yep only 10 pounds to lose.

I wear a gold Figaro bracelet on my right wrist and never take it off but since I have lost weight it slips right off over my hand so I moved the clasp over a few links like I did for my charm bracelet. Guess I am slowly shrinking all over for the rings on my little fingers are too big and need to be re-sized one day. It is funny but it seems like all at once I have noticed that I have shrunk some. I also lost one of my daily Plus Points with last night’s weigh in loss but kept all the 49 Weekly Points.

I am debating on what to cook for dinner this day. We are having left over roast in Panini’s for lunch so I will probably bake some chicken this evening. I have a couple of whole ones in the freezer and if I go out to the kitchen and start one to thaw in a pan of cold water then I can rotisserie it this evening. Hopefully it will be thawed by then. Yep, that sounds like a plan. I can then use the leftover chicken meat in a dish of some sort ~ maybe a salad.

DONNA FAYE for 2 more pounds off your body, keep it up girlfriend. I now have a box of the Belvita Blueberry breakfast biscuits which are quite good and they are 2 biscuits for 3 points+ ~ same as the Apple Cinnamon ones. I look forward to trying all of the flavors they make for they really do last to stave off those “hunger” pangs. Sad thing ~ a lady at WW told me last evening that some workers had left her back gate open and her little dog got out and is gone. She put up flyers all over and I sure hope someone didn’t just keep the little dog. I got her phone number in case we see the little Shih tzu & Pomeranian mix pooch. She said he would come if we called his name for he is a very friendly little guy. I am thinking someone has him since he does have a collar on and a chip implanted. I will certainly keep my eye out for him.

JEAN The iron monster smiled on me last evening. Guess you got some of our blizzard your way. This is really something and at least we did cover our little plants that are in the patio getting "tough." I sure hope the farmers around this area didn't lose their crops of hay and such. It is currently 20 degrees here and they say we are in for a hard frost.

Have yourself a nice day and stay happy.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #9  

Good afternoon, ladies! A cool day at 52 degrees right now.

Everyone had a great time at the retreat and before we left on Sunday 25 had paid their down payment for October's retreat - only 30 can be accommodated - so they still like my teaching. I'm doing the shaded 9-patch in October. I'll post a picture when I have it finished which will be soon because it has to hang in the shop as a sample of what we are doing. The restaurant was very accommodating for my meals. I'm sure it helped that they were so simple. It's a southern style restaurant and I wasn't sure what I was going to eat besides salad so that was good. I also walked over 2 miles each day just going around the room to help people or see how they were coming along.

My home computer is making noises like it needs a new fan so I'll take it in tomorrow.

Congratulations Faye and Maggie on your weight loss. You are doing so good.

I have to get back to work so I won't be doing personals until I get my computer fixed.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun was shining for about a half hour but has disappeared again. I don't know why we can't have a whole day of sunshine! We got up to ice and a couple inches of new snow, a lot of which has melted again thanks to the wind. The wind makes it feel like 20 degrees outside so wore my winter jacket this morning. The volunteer luncheon was nice but there were several empty chairs; I suppose because of the ice earlier this morning. I took a book back to the library that I just picked up a couple days ago, just couldn't get into it and it was on the brand new book shelf so should have been a good one. Now I need to work on the rummage sale boxes.

"Gma" -- on losing another 2#s! Your dedicated efforts are paying off! I hope the flooding doesn't happen any where, but it doesn't sound very promising that will happen. I will think positive thoughts that it doesn't interfere with your vacation plans.

Maggie -- to you on your loss last night! In the scheme of things 10#s is very doable for you. I hope your WW friend finds her dog!

Susan -- I wish we could see all of your quilting creations. I knew you would be "good" in the food choices; it's nice the restaurant worked with you. Here's hoping your computer is an easy fix and you have it back home soon.

I need to get busy and work on my rummage sale stuff. Enjoy the rest of your terrific Tuesday!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies. It is cool and rainy here this morning. Even with his thunder shirt on Fortune didn't like the booming last night so went and got on the stairs and slept. Hey, I am good with whatever works for the little guy. We are supposed to have mid to upper 70's for highs the next week and I will gladly take that.

I got a call around noon yesterday from Jack. He was on the way to minor medical as he was working on something and his screwdriver slipped and he has a slash clear across the fat pad below his thumb on his right hand. The had him sit with his hand in benadine and water for about 15 minutes and then closed it up with that crazy glue kind of stuff and bandaged it all up. I am now his nurse until he goes back to them on Friday. He showers then I redress it with a sterile pad and wrap it in gauze. I have tons of that kind of stuff from all my surgeries so I didn't have to buy anything. He is doing fine though he says this morning it throbs a bit. They gave him a loritab prescription but he can't take that stuff and work. He says it doesn't hurt that much anyway.

I am going to color my hair and hopefully work on my house again today. It is just weekly cleaning time. I have to pound my sirloin steak and cut into pieces and put into the crockpot with ff beef stock. It comes out so nice and tender then I will make gravy with the leftover stock. Haven't decided on hot roast beef sandwiches or just the steak with gravy and potatoes.

I leave her and it is pay the bills day. I always love that as I do my bill paying online and always have a ton of paper from the bills. Some of them I don't get bills and some don't have the option like our utility bill. They are totally behind the times but at least I can pay the bill online.

Jean: Boy, you can't seem to get away from the bad weather. We talked to our son last night and he said they were expecting snow today. Jackson just lost his first tooth a few nights ago. I ask Jay how did it go and he said he played the ole mom and pop routine on him telling he was just going to look at it then pulled it. Jackson told him it didn't hurt at all, but I told Jay to beware as next time he wasn't likely to fall for the mom and pop routine because he and his sister didn't. I ask him if the tooth fairy was good to him as his dad reminded him of inflation. He said he got a dollar and his dad told him he was a cheapskate! I may be ask to sit for him on the Friday they go to the ballpark as he gets out of school for the summer the day before. I sure do hope your weather improves soon. I know you have to be wanting spring to come.

Susan: Good to hear from you. Glad the restreat went so well and sorry about your computer fan. Do you have a laptop or a pc, must be a laptop huh? Jack bought this thing several years ago his laptop sits on and has a fan in it so it blows air underneath to keep it from overheating as well as the internal fan. He never has a problem. Right now he is gearing up to buy himself a couple Hawaiian shirts for the cruise. He has three and wants a couple more so he can wear them to dinner each night. I found a site that has bazillions of the things so I told him he can go through them. They are made in Hawaii so I told him we need to get them early. He picks really wild ones and the ship has an ugly tropical shirt contest so he might enter this year.

Maggie: I sure hope they find the little dog. I am terrified about Fortune getting out again. He has a tag that has his name on one side and our address and phone numbers on the other, but they steal dogs here and sell them to research places. Disgusting.

Well gals, sounds like my washer is done. You all have a great day. Faye
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and the wind is blowing; it's only supposed to get up into the high 40s today. I was supposed to work in the gift shop this morning but the gal who runs the coffee shop is home sick so both are closed for the day. The coffee group that comes in after swimming will be disappointed as well as the employees who "coffee, cookie, and treat" themselves. Today is Beth's 35th birthday and we are going over to take them out for supper tonight. Thirty-five years ago we had a rainy snowy day!

"Gma" -- Sonny likes to lay on a step right below me as I go downstairs. I'm always afraid I will either step on him, if he moves, as I step over to the next step, or else miss the step and fall. I hope Jack's cut will heal without any problems; where he works would be scary for the possibility of infection. It sounds like you have your day planned; steak sounds good!

I need to vacuum the fur this morning and finish a couple of rummage sale boxes so Bob can take them to the church after lunch. Hope everyone enjoys a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining again this morning, it's a chilly 36 degrees, with a slight breeze, so hope the sunshine lasts all day. Bob had to go to a CE class today so I won't see him until late afternoon. We are attending a lecture on Parkinson's Disease, with a meal included, tonight. I could vacuum again today but think I'll wait until tomorrow. I should make a grocery list and get that over with before tomorrow. Also have laundry waiting as well as the never ending ironing.

I need to get dressed and get busy. Hope you all have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Sunny Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is currently in the 60º area and said to get into the low 80ºs before this day is over with. Will is going to be gone all day with the museum director to some other towns round about checking on museum stuff. So I am home alone with the animals who are happy to be outside with the nice weather.

I usually get quite a few e-mails in my box when I turn it on but yesterday just one. I wondered what gives with that. None of my daily reads came through and it was a mystery. I thought perhaps it was my computer doing something to keep them from coming in. But when Will called the provider he found out that they messed up the lines when digging a trench to lay fiber optics and they were working to get service restored. It was weird to say the least.

I am trying to make this laptop last till we get back from Texas at least. It has been such a good one I am sorry to see it “act up.” I hope I can get another just like it with the usual upgrades though. The fan goes constantly and I do have one of those to put under the computer but that isn’t helping the computer problem though ~ just keeping things cool. Even though I am not getting my mail I can still “go places.’’

My little Joseph scale works great for it weighs correctly and I am so glad that WW magazine advertized it to bring to my attention for it will be great in the motor home. We are very weight conscious on what we do put in a motor home and don’t want to overload it for it is not good for the axels. I will put a much lighter ME in one also when we do buy one. I have my eye on a nice collapsible dish pan and small drainer to purchase for it also and a set of light weight pots and pans. The set I use in the house are HEAVY but I will take a couple of my favorite cast iron items for cooking outside on a campfire. We have yet to buy the motor home but we are looking. ;yes: We much prefer traveling on vacations and such in a motor home to staying in motels and hotels. I still have most of the light weight items we used in our last motor home so there won’t be a lot of purchases to outfit one when we do get it. I am hoping the one we end up getting does come with a washer dryer combo but if it doesn’t we do know where to get one and have it installed. They are making trick stuff for RV’s nowdays.

I have things to do this day but don’t have any ambition to do them but will do them anyway. With that said I need to get a move on and get busy. Last evening I made a bunch of neat stars and laminated them and put magnet sheet on the backs. They are hard to describe so I think I will e-mail you one. I made them for every 5 pounds down that I will be until I reach goal. I have one on my upright scale that I can see from here.

DONNA FAYE I hope today Jack's hand isn't giving him fits and is healing nicely. That is horrible that mean folks steal peoples pets to sell for research. I haven't gotten any more word about that little dog that went missing. I'll know more after next Monday I imagine when I see that lady again.

JEAN Isn't it nice that the weather is more friendly now. I sure hope we have the last of the snow but rain is nice. Looks like we are both home alone this day. Is there a lot of Parkinson's Disease in your area, ergo the lecture?

SUSAN Howdy.

Have a great day Magnolias See y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-25-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #15  

Talking

Maggie -- Hope your emails come through today. It is frustrating when something doesn't work quite right, but glad it's "them" and not "you." Bob's MT brother was diagnosed with Parkinson's about a year ago. It appears he's not doing much of anything to pursue second opinions beyond the "local" diagnosis. Jason's mil is a nurse and in visiting with her learned about several new treatments available. I doubt we will have any influence beyond some knowledge we may not have now, but Bob wanted to go so am going along to listen and learn.

Last edited by Jean; 04-25-2013 at 11:16 AM.