Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #16  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I have been busy this day so far packaging up some meat that Will bought and packaging up the ham in bags for 2 servings and getting it all in the freezer. I have the ham bone which is going to be used in a pot of beans in the fridge to be used tomorrow. I have a cup of sourdough mix out getting room temperature so I can make a loaf of sourdough bread a bit later today. I am currently listening to some of Neil Diamond’s recordings form years back. His Glory Road 1968 – 1972 recordings makes me feel like he is an old friend of mine. These old songs sure bring back good memories. Life is good.

I have WW this evening and when I weighed this morning I am down so I do expect a loss to show. Then next week we will be on our regular schedule of weighing in on Monday evenings.

Our snow isn’t melting as fast as we thought it would. The dogs and cat come in all moist and want to be petted. I keep some paper towels handy to use on them first.

JEAN Have a great time in Florida ~ guess you have gone if you have your act together by now. Let's just say that I have enough guns but always want another one. Having one is no good unless you do know how to use it and be safe about it. Will and I have both had lots of training and truly believe in being safe. Always treat a gun as if it is loaded if it is or not and they are never a "play thing." We belong to the shooting range here which costs us $50 a year for the two of us. Plus we have a rancher friend that has a range on his property and the guy that owns the gun shop invited us to his private one which he only has very few folks by invitation come there. Down there they like this old lady who was once a peace officer in her younger days and likes guns. I am a good shot and also good with a Whammo Wrist Rocket which is a good sling shot. Nice round marbles or rocks, if you can find them, make great ammo. I am having a hard time finding marbles due to them taking them off the market so many places because kids "may choke" on them. However, they sell some of them in florists shops to put in flower vases. I take mine along to the range when we target practice. I like to keep in practice. My grandpa is responsible in getting me into using a sling shot. He kept the pockets of my overalls filled with proper stones to use.

SUSAN You will like that Tiger Balm which comes in two different strengths and I like the stronger one the best. If you can't find it locally you can google it up and there are lots of places on line where you can purchase it. Isn't that Bag Balm great stuff and I am not surprised they sell it at quilt shops. I keep some in my bathroom to use after I wash up when doing my glass work ~ keeps those finger from drying out from the chemicals I use.

Have a great day Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-03-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #17  

Evening girls! I had my gyn appt today and got great news. I am off the meds and no more d and c's unless something pops up again. She said she was going to do my pap while I was there so I got all undressed and sat on that darn bed for half an hour then she looked when my last one was and found out it was 1-10-2012 so my insurance wouldn't pay for it until I went past the year point. So, I have to go next month and get it done. I still have to try and get in to my regular doctor. Since I have to have a morning appt she is a tough one to get to see. I think when I go in for my pap, I will try and schedule the other one then maybe I will be done for 6 months or so anyway.

Tonight lots of bowl games and Jack has tomorrow off as we have to go out to the base and renew our base sticker, then go and get the new tags and since we are out there, I am going to do my commissary shopping. I need to get some hair dye, an eye liner pen and a couple other things at Walmart then I will have the weekend free. So I guess tonight I will sit and knit or read. I am definitely going to bed early as Fortune had one of his restless nights last night and I was up with him ever couple hours so got very little sleep.

Jean: Hope you have a wonderful trip and beautiful weather while you are down there. I know your kitties will miss you and the kids and grandkids too. We will sure miss you.

Maggie: Sounds like you have been busy with getting food all wrapped up and ready for the freezer and such. I am going to get the small snack baggies and then get several veggies and fix them into baggies for snacks and such. I still have not been able to find jicama at any store I have been to. I guess maybe I will try one more place before giving up.

Susan: My mom used to tell me it was the best stuff for cracked hands and feet. She said if it would heel a cow's udders then it would heal a person's hands and feet and she is right it does work great. I like Burt's bees stuff too. I used their lip balm a lot and their cuticle cream/

Well gals, I need to type up my shopping list and print it out for tomorrow. Have a great weekend all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #18  

Good Evening, Flowers! We are in Omaha where it is cold tonight! We even drove through some snow flurries on our way here. I forgot a couple of things so stopped at a WM on our way. It was a much nicer store than ours and our towns are almost the same size. They were busy and had several check outs open.

Susan -- I am opposed to teachers carrying guns. In our school we had too many "thugs" and "wannabes" who would try to outsmart a teacher and get the gun. I thought having locked doors was the answer but that didn't work either.

Maggie -- Hope the WW iron monster agreed with your scale at home! I didn't know about marbles as we have them here. I bought some this summer to put in the bottom of plant pots so the water drains better.

"Gma" -- Great news about your checkup! Bob is watching football while I surf on my iPad.

Guess I will get my "stuff" ready for tomorrow morning. It will be a short night, breakfast starts at 4 and our shuttle is at 5! Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Chilly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

BTW I was a loser at WW last evening ~ drum roll please ~ I showed a loss of 2.6#. I don’t have a clue why for I didn’t do anything different during the week but I like it for it makes me a total 86 pound loser so far. Now isn’t that sweet. I still have a lot more weight to lose so I need to keep my FOCUS this coming year. I will endeavor to lose as much of what is left to get to goal this year. Half way there is 87.4 and I can see it from here for it is so close I see the down side. Up the hill then down the hill I go.

I just ran across a delicious sounding salad recipe with flank steak in it which makes a meal for 5 P+ which I am going to definitely try one of these fine days. Oh ~ that loaf of sourdough bread turned out to be the most beautiful and best tasting loaf like it I have made. I don’t have a clue why because I used the same method and recipe I always do and what a nice surprise. I woke up this morning with the smell of some being toasted for Will had cut into it. His most favorite bread that I make is this sourdough loaf. I’ll be making a pot of 15 bean soup mix with some of that ham this day. I got it all the ham slices portioned out and cut the part that wasn’t sliced into cubes to use in beans and such. I put it all in the freezer except the amount of cubes I want to use in the beans today. One thing if you have a ham that is too salty put it into a pot of beans or soup and then don’t add any salt to the recipe. Beans are a great source of fiber. What I am going to do when I get off here is to boil some eggs in my little cooker. Those little 2 P+ ovals are a great lunch food along with some greens and fruit.

DONNA FAYE Great news that you have with your being off those meds and your system settling down. That's a great idea to get your snack items all counted out before hand in little bags. I also llike to do that for it keeps me out of the "big box" and mindless snacking. I hope you can find some jicama to purchace for it is a nice crisp veggie.

JEAN That is an awfully early breakfast isn't it. Hope you are having a great time of it there. I guess marbles are a regional thing being a knee jerk thing getting them off the market in some places.

Have a great day Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #20  

Good evening, ladies! A bit warmer today in the low 40s and sunshine.

I haven't done a thing today but go and get acrylic nails. I always wanted them so used some of my Christmas money for them. My own nails are terrible with ridges (from the inhalers) and cracking and breaking all the time. I've never had them before. I also got my eyebrows done because I can't see to do it anymore.

Faye, I'm glad you are on the otherside of the female problems. I hope they stay gone.

Maggie, I had bean and ham soup for supper and actually made some corn muffins. It was good and I had a small salad on the side and a banana for dessert. That was a tremendous loss - good for you. Sometimes when the scale isn't going down and we have done everything right, it's because our body is adjusting to the weight loss and then we have a woosh on the scale.

Have a wonderful evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #21  

Good morning to you all. We are expecting some snow showers in a couple hours, but thankfull the temps will rise into the 40's and it will melt fairly quickly. I worry more about water on the deck and roadways freezing making things slippery.

I wasn't feel well last night so we didn't get our car washed and didn't go out to eat. So, this afternoon we will take the car to be washed if it isn't raining and get a bite to eat.

Let's see, I bought baby carrots, a cucumber, grape tomatoes, and celery to make up little veggie snack baggies. I also bought some spicy tiny v-8 cans to have with a few wheat thins and a cheese stick. I really need to get many more veggies into my diet so I bought several different frozen veggie packages. I got a couple fuji apples, some grapes, blueberries and bananas for my fruits. I plan on using everything but the grapes to put into oatmeal servings to get fruit servings. I bought some fish for myself since I don't like the chicken casserole I make Jack. It was nice to have the commissary practically empty. I told Jack when he retires we will have to remember to do our shopping during the week instead of the weekend.

My yarn didn't come yesterday so hopefully it will get here today. Since I am sending the stuff with a present for Jackson and the slippers for Alicia and an 8 x 10 photo of us on the ship there is nothing for Jay. So I ordered some navy and gold yarn and am going to make him a Notre Dame watch cap with the ND logo on the brim. I am deciding whether to do it duplicate stitch, intarsia or fair isle style. I went onto my knitting website, Ravelry and typed in Notre Dame and one of the gals actually had the chart of the ND logo, which was great. So, I am excited to do something different too. I am working on a scarf for myself using stash sock yarn and it is coming along. It is for the cruise so I can put it aside anytime I want to do other things. I also am making myself a pair of socks, but haven't worked on them in awhile.

Maggie: Congrats on your loss. That is great. I know you are glad you are getting the weight off once and for all. Jack and I are going to work hard to do the same thing.

Susan: I told Jack that the only thing I worry about is developing cancer of the uterus with what I have had going on. So, I plan on making sure I keep up with her about any changes so we can keep on top of it. It is good not to be on those darn pills though.

Jean: Glad you made it to Omaha. Hope your trip down south will be more pleasant and a whole lot warmer. The truth is, arming teachers can get innocent people killed, armed guards won't stop it because they would be the first to be shot, banning guns isn't the answer because frankly the crooks, drug dealers, and nut cases don't always have licenses or have them legally anyway. I do like what Thomas's school does and that is all the doors are locked and you have to buzz to get in. Now that works because the office is glass fronted and looks out onto the front door, but.... The fact is, this is going to happen and we can only do so much to keep it from happening. So many of these incidents school or otherwise start with people being bullied or made fun of and next thing you know, they are "getting even." Not always, but many shootings are like that. Is is sadly the time we live in and it isn't going to get better. Teachers and parents need to work with their children to nut bully or make fun from the time they are little so they accept people the way they are. Of course, some of the parents are bullies too. Have fun in sunny Orlando!

Want to get some knitting done while Jack is still asleep. Have a nice Saturday all! Faye
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #22  

Good afternoon, ladies! 44 degrees and sunshine today.

WW was like a mad house this morning. We had standing room only at all 3 meetings and our meeting room seats 75. I am tired and I might just go up and have a nap this afternoon instead of rearranging the living room.

Faye, your shopping cart had the same items as mine. My big treat for the week is smoked salmon to have with a mini bagel and cream cheese for breakfast tomorrow. The WW routine for January is to have a serving of produce with every meal and snack. I like fruit and cheese or fruit and nuts for a snack or veggies and a dip. About once a week I make some air popped popcorn and grate some cheese on it.

I need to get my food and exercise planned out for next week and will be doing that this afternoon. Have a wonderful afternoon and evening.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Beautiful Chilly Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I’ve had the neatest little solar calculator for years and years that I always keep in the glove box in the Jeep. It takes a tiny battery as a backup but it won’t work unless that battery is up and running ~ just in case. Anyway my battery went caput and wouldn’t you know it ~ my device is so old that they don’t even make that sized battery anymore. So now I have a new calculator to keep in the Jeep that Will got me from the dollar store for a dollar. It looks just like the old one except the backup battery is concealed inside the unit and I guess when it goes caput years from now I will toss it and buy a new one just like it. I don’t know how they can make these little things so cheap.

DONNA FAYE I also think it is a great idea to have snack items that are good for us handy to get to. I do that with veggies, fruits, cheese, drinks. Love those little snack bags. Sure makes it easy to already have the items cleaned and bagged up. I like having several kinds of string cheese & cream cheese also. WW has a new one out now that I want which is Jalapeno string cheese, I have the cream cheese in that flavor. I always keep a few of those small cans of spicy V-8 juice in my fridge along with my diet soda and Perrier water bottles. WW has some neat cream cheese triangles that are great and Laughing Cow has some Baby Bells that are good. I like to use those triangles in celery stalks. There is enough cheese in one of those triangles to make a great snack with some veggie. I am boiling some eggs this day to add to my arsenal.

SUSAN I had a conversation last meeting with the leader and we agreed that the next meeting will be full to bursting then after a couple weeks or so it will dwindle down quite a bit. Just like all New Year’s resolutions losing weight, gets shoved to the back burner once again when the newness wears off. There are always those few that stick with it though. Your afternoon snack sounds yummy ~ reminds me of some great smoked salmon we had recently. It was so tasty with cream cheese and bagels. Makes me want some more.

Have a great day Magnolias
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #24  

Good afternoon, everyone. 49 degrees today with some warmer weather on the way.

I saw on the noon news that kid in ALwas planning to blow up his school with a bomb - so if they can't get guns they'll find another way. Fortunately his plan leaked out and he was arrested. I don't know what this world is coming to anymore.

I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday to see about my foot that I had surgery on about a year ago. One of the bones has apparently moved out of place and I have a big bump that is getting worse on the inside of my foot. I'm going to ask her if I should see an orthopedic surgeon this time since the osteoporosis has made my bones so soft. Dr. Bushmaker had said he thought if I ever have to have surgery on that foot again it would have to go in a halo or it wouldn't heal at all. It's always something. I still did my yoga class today since we do yoga barefooted and don't jump around.

Maggie, we also expect this week to be another standing room only time. We should get combat pay this time of the year. I have been using my little book. Its very handy.

Have a wonderful day.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #25  
Thin Within

I. Am on the way to CA and in Texas. Will be back in. about a
WeeK.. Too hard to post on this phone.
I
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #26  

Good morning girls! Well, I guess for about a week it is just you and me, Susan!

I never did get in here yesterday to post. Every time I would think about it, something else would come into my mind, I would sit at the computer and do something else, then forget to post. Ahh well.

I am having a nice bowl of oatmeal and blueberries this morning. I put a bit of sf syrup in it and it is very tasty. I had banana in it yesterday. I trying hard to put much more fiber in my diet, cut out as much sugar as I can, avoid desserts all together, add veggies to my daily eating. Sometimes it is just trial and error to arrange your eating so you don't get hungry. Since I don't drink sugared sodas anymore and haven't for about 3 years now, not eating sugar is not a big deal. I am not the dessert person in this family, but Jack has one of the WW ice creams or oreos that he counts in his pts and he seems to be ok.

Maggie: Hope you have a good time on your trip. You sneaked it up on us. I don't remember seeing you say you were definitely going, but maybe I missed it.

Susan: I hope your surgeon can find a remedy for you. I know you would like to have a steady foot to walk on. After all, you are our exercise queen here. It is supposed to be up in the 50's here today and creep up into the 70's by the weekend I think. I am ready for spring already, frankly. I wish I could have the popcorn with a bit of cheese, but I can't eat popcorn. I love to smell it when Jack has it once in awhile though.

Well, not much news around here. We are just plodding along. We are having dinner with the kids on the 19th. Kelly is making baked chickena and roasted veggies so I hope the veggies are some Jack will eat. He is so particular sometimes. I am taking rolls and the sopapilla cheesecake since she asked me to bring rolls and dessert, but I may have a roll but none of the cheesecake for sure. Have a great day and Jean and Maggie, hope your trip is great!!! Faye
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #27  

Good morning all. Just a quick post to keep it going until everyone gets back home. Not much news in my part of the world. It is warmer and rainy here and the rain will continue through tomorrow so it will be another gloomy day. Boy, I sure couldn't live in some place like Seattle that gets a lot of rain and is gray a lot.

Here are the slippers I made for Alicia. I love the deep red color and it seems to fit her. They are really comfy slippers and I tried hers on to make sure it fit last night. I still have the other one to make, but I should be able to get it finished today.

I am still waiting for my exercise tape. I think it and the yarn for Jay's ND hat should be here today. I hope so anyway.

Well, hope Maggie and Jean are having a good time and Susan, take care of that foot! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aliciasloafer.jpg (14.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #28  

Good evening! 64 degrees right now. We're having warmer temperatures for the next week.

I went to doc this morning. She said she thinks its a bone spur on the side of my foot and it will have to be removed. Tomorrow I'll be seeing my foot doc and see what he says. She also changed my depression medication because I was at the top dosage of Celexa. I'll be transitioning to the new medication over the next 2 weeks. Of course it's new and top tier so $95 copay which is depressing.

Faye, I love the yarn you used for Alicia's slippers. Such a lovely shade of red.

Talk at ya tomorrow!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #29  

Please go to #37