Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #16  

Afternoon ladies. It is sunny and chilly here again today. I have my chores done and the downstairs mopping. I still want to get some kitchen cleaning done this evening after dinner.

What a nightmare at the concert. First off, they had the coral concert and band concert together which meant more parents and family and friends. The church is a good size it has two middle sections of pews, then a section on each side of that then a balcony. Well the blocked off both outside sections on each side and the first 3 rows on the two middle section for the students performing and VIPS. That meant a lot less seats. Jack and I were there half an hour early and the place was packed. I had to go up into the balcony and we were going to have to stand through the whole concert until this sweet black couple told us we could have the extra seats they were saving. Kelly and Tom were late along with Tom's sister and then ended up having to stand. It was awful and made me mad as a wet hen. Their principal is unfortunately Gestapo and a real you know what. We barely got dinner because Tom had to take his parents back home and we left early so I could get down all those steps not realizing Kelly and Thomas wanted to rid with us. It came out ok and my grandson did a spectacular job as did all the kids. I don't see how Thomas has time for it all. He is in the 7th grade band, the concert band and the Eagle Ensemble and they have different practice times besides all his boy scout stuff.

Maggie: I am sorry as I had to laugh at what it must have been like trying your new toy out and it not working like it should. Maybe next time you should make empty ones so that you can just reuse the yarn until the thing starts working correctly. I sure hope you can figure out what keeps going wrong. Let's see, Columbus was sort of an idiot and basically conned Isabella out of money for the trip. Rather than the wonderful get together told about Thanksgiving between the indians and Pilgrims, the indians were tortured and put into slavery by the whites. There are several more things of history that has been twisted around.

I guess I better get out of here and get a couple more things done before Jack gets home. You all have a great middle of the week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #17  

I spent the day, starting at 4 am, bonding with the bathroom and recliner. Stomach flu, chills, and a headache tonight is NOT my idea of fun. I just ate a few Cheerios so hope they stay put!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #18  

Good morning everyone. The guy is supposed to be here between 8-12 this morning so I have to get going on getting chores done, etc. I did my yesterday and today cleaning yesterday so I don't have to worry about that but I cleaned up breakfast stuff, fed the dog, stuff like that early this morning. I have to go out and pick up Fortune's poo when it gets light. He usually goes in the dirt, but I saw yesterday he went right where the guy is likely to put his ladder.

I am working the decreases on the heel so I should be done no later than this weekend with T's sock. I can't make Kelly's slippers though until I get the large dpn's and they haven't even been shipped yet though originally they said they would be here tomorrow. Sometimes that's what you get when you order from Amazon but it is a different company. It is also really close to Christmas and I am not sure all that this company sells.

Jean: Take care of yourself and feel better. I hate the crummy stomach flu. It always leaves you feeling so weak.

I need to go and finish things up and eat some breakfast. Have a great Thursday. Faye
Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

This is another chilly day today not expected to get over the 54º mark and is currently in the low 30ºs and no rain or snow in the forecast. The crops in the fields are slowly dying from lack of moisture. This will be the cause of lots of products to be increased. Many products are made from the crops in the ♥-lands.

Since I am going to be making more bread this winter then I did during the summer I made an order from my King Arthur® Flour ~ the baker’s catalogue of some flour. I have been shipped Red Wheat Berries which are great sprouted added to salads; 9 Grain flour Blend which has a rich nutty flavor; 4 Grain Flour Blend AKA: Ancient Grains which adds fiber and nutrition to bread, muffins, cookies and more; and the Perfect Pasta Blend of Semolina, Golden Durum, and unbleached All-Purpose Flour. It will be a fun day when that order arrives. I won’t know which one to use first. I know I will get some of the Wheat Berries to start sprouting for I love them in salad. I keep these types of flours in the freezer for it prolongs their life considerably. The bread that I make is very high in fiber count so it cuts down on the points+ considerably. I am giving it a good go to make myself eat healthier and also lose weight in the process. I don’t usually eat bread with a meal but do enjoy a good sandwich on occasion and am better off eating great bread on that sandwich. I love my little bread machine that makes 1 pound loaves for that is enough for just the two of us to eat before it goes stale. I got out my sourdough mix and fed it last night and it sure liked the feeding for it rose to the top of the container. Today I am going to make a nice loaf of sourdough bread. I just let the bread machine mix it all up and then bake it in the oven since it is more than a pound. The machine will mix larger loaves but will bake a 1 pound loaf.

Last night for dinner I made a dinner out of a box. It was hamburger stroganoff, quite tasty and not out of sight for the points it cost. It was 15 points for the whole thing so depending how many servings one eats it would determine the points. Next time I make it though I am going to use half the hamburger it calls for because it was a bit much ~ overwhelmed the noodles. We each had a third of it and that left a third for me to have a yummy lunch today.

My back sure hurts today. This cold weather we have been having does a number on my weakest area for sure. Some may think my weakest part is my head but not so. I have meds I could take so if it gets to where I can’t function I’ll take some. It is getting better the longer I am up this morning. As time marches on it is taking my pain with it.

JEAN I feel so sorry for you for that must be absolutely miserable. Hopefully that bug will pass through your system in a hurry and be gone soon. Take care and gets lots of rest.

DONNA FAYE Hopefully that utility man can get your equipment back to exact today or give you a whole new unit. Those things do eventually wear out I hear.

Have a great day Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-13-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #20  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I think I am among the living today; at least feeling a whole lot better than yesterday. I passed up the Christmas dinner with my crafty group this noon and another get together with our traveling companions tonight. Food just doesn't sound all that good yet. The sun is shining and it's a "warm" 46 degrees with a slight breeze. I'm trying to sort through the clutter that I didn't pick up a couple days ago and added to the newspaper and mail piles yesterday. I have laundry going so am making progress. We left the house-garage door open this morning; Ernie went right out to say "hello" to Sonny-Bub. (Not sure where that name came from except that is what Bob has called him from the beginning.) He is not a brave cat! He would come inside the house but as soon as he heard a noise, dishwasher then the washer, he'd scurry back to the garage. Ernie got tired of keeping track of him and is taking a nap.

"Gma" -- What are dpns that you mentioned about making Kelli's slippers? It sounds like our two concerts were set up by the same people. At least we didn't have to hike up to a balcony. Glad your direct tv is fixed hopefully. You have lots of time to get T's sock finished.

Maggie -- I'm working on my cards, slow but sure. I had to with a mental picture of your ravioli. I didn't know there were so many different kinds of flour! Your cooking endeavors always amaze me. Was your hamburger stroganoff dinner a Hamburger Helper dinner? I haven't had one of those in a long time. Hope your back is feeling better!

I need to fold a load of undies and get the next load in the dryer. I think laundry multiplies when I'm not looking! Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #21  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is an "iffy" morning for sunshine, just a slight breeze, and 19 degrees. Rain turning to snow is predicted for tonight and tomorrow. I'm on the PC trying to find a recipe that was in an ad. Ernie is keeping track of Sonny who made himself at home in Ernie's food and water bowls this morning. He runs back to the garage door whenever anything spooks him; I'm hoping to move his box and bowls to the basement today. I need to made a grocery run this morning; I slept all night last night which is rare for me. Feeling much better today than even yesterday; guess I was more tired than I thought.

I need to get dressed and get moving. Have a GREAT day and enjoy!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #22  

Good morning to you all. It is chilly this morning, but supposed to warm into the 50's to low 60's today so that is fine. It keeps the furnace from turning on!

I am going to go and work on Thomas's sock in a few minutes then go upstairs and clean the bathrooms. This cold weather is killing my knees so climbing the stairs is a bummer. I need to get them done today though as we want to shampoo carpets tomorrow.

Maggie: Travis did a great job on my direct tv satellite and he put in new wiring up there too so the tv works fine now. I watched a cupcake program and two baby delivery programs early this AM. The boxed meal can be jazzed up with added veggies and stuff too. I wonder what it would be like if you put chicken in it instead of burger??? The bad thing is it is loaded with salt. We are having chicken fried steak tonight with mashed potatos. I make it with egg beaters, ff milk and flour then cook it in Pam. I pound the heck out of a small sirloin steak, which is much more tender than the cube steaks so the fact no oil is used doesn't make it tough.

Jean: I apologize. I sometimes forget who I am talking to. DPN's are double point needles, which is what you use to make socks. Kelly's yarn is due in today. She bought a boring ole brown heather, (they had gorgeous colors) but it is her choice. She had them shipped to me so as soon as I finish with T's socks, I will make them for her then go and finish my socks I think. I want to order yarn and make that scarf for Alicia just to see how it would come out. Her birthday isn't until July so I might make her two and then gift her a gift card. (I typed gift car. Boy, wouldn't she have loved that! )

Well girls, I haven't had any breakfast yet so I better get going. You all have a great weekend. I have a salon appt tomorrow morning as they called and had to change it yesterday. Faye
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Chilly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the ♥-Land and cloud covered~ but what’s new for it is Winter. However we just may get some much needed rain from this. I got my hair cut today and now I don’t look so much like a shaggy dog anymore. While there my hairdresser asked Will if he would play Santa for her grand kids. She had seen him in his suit at the museum. That makes a Santa showing for him to do on Christmas Eve and one on Christmas Day. What fun that will be for I will be going along since I have also been invited to those parties. Halleluiah it is -ing now. When we were out getting coffee a few girls came out of the place and as they walked by the Jeep I heard one of them say, “I hope it is SNOW because I have some shoveling jobs lined up.” It had to rain and take away my aches and pains. I feel better today than I have in a couple weeks. Pressure in the atmosphere affects my old bones.

I received a package today and my sweet husband had ordered me a ger-prize of a new “state of the art” 5 Speed Hand Blender by Kitchen Aid®. It came in a nice case and has a long extension piece that can be put on to use in deep pots at the stove. It will blend, crush, puree, shred, froth, mix, whip, emulsify, aerate, and chop. A wonderful set of attachments came with it and it will do all that a regular food processor & blender do plus more. It has a pitcher type container and a blender bowl with a blade. I am going to have fun using this appliance. I have an old wand blinder that I can now get rid of for it cannot do nearly what this one can. I have had it for years and gotten good use out of it though. I can slide this one in its case into a lower cabinet for storage. I’ll gladly call this my Christmas present. It’s hard to keep secrets around here and I was home when it was delivered anyway with Chef’s Catalogue printed on the box ~ just what could that be. I am jazzed.

DONNA FAYE I cook with spray also and it does a great job. I have this spray gizmo that dispenses what ever kind of oil you want to use in it. Currently I have olive oil in it. Tonight I am going to make baked pork chops, potatoes, green beans and a side salad. I baked the prettiest and yummy tasting loaf of sour dough bread yesterday so it deserves a nice piece of it toasted to eat with dinner. I am glad you got your dish all fixed up and working properly again. Yes, I do believe would be good in that boxed meal then instead of Hamburger Helper I will call it "Helper for Clucker."

JEAN I am O so glad that bug passed through your system quickly and make a home for more days. That is great that you were able to sleep the night through. Your body was healing. Your little Sonny will just have to have more time to get used to a nice home. He will realize he is in friendly territory.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-14-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #24  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's very foggy, NO wind, and raining in my corner of the world this morning. We need the rain and guess there is no chance of snow with 40+ degree temperatures. We really need rain more than snow for moisture so I won't complain. Bob is off on his morning rounds after helping me in the basement. We are clearing a space for the kids to go so they aren't underfoot upstairs. At one time the basement was pretty clear of junk but it has accumulated once again.

Will's sinus surgery went well yesterday. They put stents (?) in which will have to be removed in a week; he's not to bend over, nor lift anything heavier than 10#s, and will be out of work 4 -6 weeks.

"Gma" -- I hope you were able to finish T's sock yesterday and received Kelli's yarn. You are a busy knitter! I figured the "n" in dpn might mean needle. Amanda has knitted very lacy looking scarves, with huge loopy holes. I think it would be hard to follow a pattern but then maybe a mistake wouldn't be easy to find.

Maggie -- I'll bet Will makes a great Santa! It's nice that you can go along; too bad you don't have a Mrs. Santa outfit. When our kids were quite young (still believers) we had a surprise Santa visit one evening. He had the wrong house but managed to pull it off! He was supposed to go two doors away from us. I'm sure you will have fun using your new hand blender. Will knew the perfect gift for you! I think we should have named the cat Spook as every little noise sends him scurrying for the basement. He hid behind boxes in the laundry room when Bob started the vacuum. I felt so sorry for him.

I need to keep moving and clear off the kitchen table and counter, then go back to the basement. I feel like I am way behind but know I am not after listening to others say the same. Hope you all have a special day and enjoy!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #25  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday ~ Chilly This Day

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

The rain stopped during the night and the sun is shining on this 50º day. Hopefully we got enough to soak in the fields and do some good. I have been listening to my collection of Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music. I love those guys music and have 7 of their CD’s. We will go to day and see if there are any new ones out this year. I want all they record. Most of the selections are just the music without vocals.

I needed a new splatter screen and got one last evening from Wal*Mart and it is the best I have ever seen. It is by Farberware and is odor-absorbing because there is an odor absorbing carbon filter sandwiched between two stainless screens. I am thinking that would great when cooking fish to hold back the odor. As far as I could tell they only make it in 11 ½ inch size and I would like also a smaller one but probably will have to settle for a different brand for that one.

After I got my hair cut and was talking with the owner who does my hair gave me a sample soap made with goat’s milk and other natural ingredients. Anyway it is “patchouli” scented and packs a whallop of scent ~ made my bathroom smell like it did in the 60’s. Even with the door open if you just walk by it in the hall you can smell it. Just that little sliver of soap put out that much scent makes me wonder what a whole bar would do. She gave me a small folder with pictures and explanations of 21 different soaps to choose from and I want them all. They are from a company in Kansas City, Missouri. The literature didn’t come with a price listed so that tells me they may be quite spendy. I now need to decide which bar I want to get first out of the 21. I am leaning toward the Sandalwood-Citrus scented bar or the Rosemary bar. OH there are so many to choose from. They are "Indigo Wild" Zum Bars and I found them on line this afternoon.

JEAN No thanks I don't want to be Mrs. Santa. It should be fun to go and watch though. He now has 3 appearances scheduled. Call your new cat Casper for the friendly ghost since he is spookey. OH but isn't that Susan's cats name. I am glad Will's surgery came out good with that sinus thing. He will be right as as can be in a few days.

Have a great evening Magnolias.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another cold, cloudy, breezy day in my neighborhood. Bob's group sang at church and then the middle school kids put on a baked potato lunch to raise money for a trip. I had planned to come home between services but had coffee with a couple other gals instead. Bob left right after they sang second service so we ate and were done by the time that service was finished. Bob is on a roll down in the basement. He gives me a pile, I sort, and he keeps going. I didn't realize we (mostly ME!) had let so much stuff pile up. Sonny invaded Ernie's territory this afternoon by jumping up on the couch and settling in on his blanket, with Ernie already there. Ernie lasted about 10 seconds and jumped down. I'm still working on the kitchen counter clutter. I need to get my 2013 calendar set up so I'm ready.

Maggie -- Please, please, please send some sunshine my way! The new soap sounds interesting for sure. Sonny is getting braver each day; he just followed me upstairs to check out what is behind closed doors. I talked to Will earlier and he is itching all over. He wanted to take Benedryl but I told him maybe he should call the surgeon's number first. I would think they would have someone available to give advice when the office is closed. I think he is typical man when it comes to being sick and in pain.

I need to keep moving or I won't finish my current projects. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #27  

Good morning girls. It is pleasant temperature wise but overcast again today and I, like Jean, want some sunshine. The temps have stayed up in the 50's and 60's and I can't hate that this time of the year for sure.

I am doing the toe of T's sock today and hope I can go ahead and finish it. I can get it washed and blocked then. I have started this chevron scarf using some sock yarn stash I have. I was going to make it for Alicia for her birthday, but I am not sure she would like it so I think I will make it for myself and wear it to dinner or something on the cruise. It is super lightweight.

Maggie: I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer and I really love it. I would like to get some more of the attachments though as I have just the basic. Euwwwww pachouli? Reminds me of dirty bodies and the Grateful Dead. Jay used to wear it and it made me gag. Some of the high priced perfumes have it in them and I don't know why a woman would want to wear it. On the other hand, I love sandalwood.

Jean: I am so glad Will's surgery went well. I hope he could find info about the itching. It could be caused by a med he is on. Whenever you can't get an answer from medical personnel, you can definitely ask a pharmacist. Just explain the circumstances first. I use my dil's great incite when it comes to medications all the time. I don't know how she remembers all of them and what they do and don't do.

Jack is sick as a dog and I am so mad at Walgreens I could just spit. I emailed their corporate office and gave them a piece of my mind. He was so sick yesterday with the cold coming back he couldn't even drive. I told him I thought we should go to the minute clinic at Walgreens. I went to their website and looked up the insurance to see if they took Tricare. There under Tennessee was Tricare and Tricare for Life which is the Medicare supplement. So we went and were there half an hour early because we were walk in. I checked him in and again had to indicate my insurance, which the computer had the same thing that they took both. Jack sat for 2 hours before he was seen and he feld so bad. He went in and came out about 5 minutes later saying they didn't take Tricare anymore. I was beyond mad. I wasn't about to pay their crummy clinic over $100 just to get a prescription for his coughing. I brought him home and took care of him myself. I don't care whether they take Tricare or not, though they took every government insurance there is but they can at least remove insurers when they no longer take them so this doesn't happen.

Well I need to do more chores. Have a good one. Faye
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday ~ Weigh Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Our weather forecast says we are going to get some snow on Wednesday. We shall see when that day rolls around. In the meantime we are just in the chilly mode.

We went to a town yesterday morning, about an hour’s drive away, so Will could preach a lesson for the church there. They had a pot-luck afterwards and we got to know a group of wonderful people that way. We will probably travel there one week a month until they can find a full time preacher. They want us to come on “pot-luck day” which is fine with us. As it goes, there are folks that attend there that have relatives that attend here so we already knew them for they have visited here on occasion.

Time to make a new loaf of bread and I was hoping the flour that I ordered would get here ~ it’s on its way. Will loves his toast in the morning and it might as well be made with the 9 grain flour blend. I like to add soluble fiber to the bread I bake to up the fiber content. Last evening when we went out to dinner I treaded my corn for Will’s broccoli which made us both happy. Am I right to believe broccoli has more fiber in it than corn? I should look it up for I may be wrong.

I am currently just starting to read an interesting looking book by Harvey & Marilyn Diamond with a forward by Edward Taub, M.D. called Fit For Life ~ the natural body cycle, permanent weight-loss plan that proves it’s not what you eat, but when and how! The books goal is to teach folks how to eat accordance with their natural digestive cycles. They teach what and when to eat certain combinations of foods you like to make the weight come off. It should be an interesting read for Mr. Diamond is the Director of Nutrition for International Health Systems in Santa Monica, CA. I imagine it has a lot of what WW does in its program but I’ll find out that when I read it. The recipes look yummy anyway. From what I can tell, with just a quick look, is they don’t cut out any of the food groups. If they did I wouldn’t bother to read it.

DONNA FAYE I used to have a KitchenAid® Stand Mixer with all the attachments and it took absolutely too much room on my counter and so I got rid of it. This KitchenAid® Hand Blender does anything that I would want a stand mixer to do plus it fits in a nice case and doesn’t take up much counter space. The pitcher and chopper bowl go in a cupboard. If I had a huge kitchen with lots of counter space then I just might wish I had that stand mixer but not so here. What a horrible thing for you and Jack to go through at that clinic. They need to let the folks “up front” and that answer the phones know just who they will take. We found just one dentist here that would take our insurance and piggy back. Doctors can choose who that want to deal with and it seems that some insurance companies are just plain difficult to get payment squeezed out of. Well my dear, some fragrances smell so good on some folks and like skunk on others. We have to be careful what fragrances we use so that they match up with our body chemistry. That’s why they have testers I would imagine so folks can get a sample of what it will smell on their body. Now I don’t like the smell of musk on most folks nor does it go with my chemistry. Now patchouli goes well with my chemistry and is just an elusive, subtle smell ~ earthy and woodsy. Guess that is why they make so many fragrances for there are so many different types of folks.

JEAN Oh that itch can drive one to distraction. Hopefully he can get something to relieve it. That cat is taking over what territory he wants it seems. Ragg Mopp has a small pillow that he has had since he was a baby and when Cecil lays on it Ragg Mopp just tolerates it and then when Cecil gets up ole Ragg Mopp goes and gets the pillow and takes it somewhere else. Animals are funny aren't they. Pretty soon your two cats will be chummy.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-17-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #29  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's dark, gloomy, breezy, and snow is predicted for Wednesday. It doesn't feel all that cold outside I must admit -- it could be worse. We balanced at the church as well as my gift shop money so I was happy. My house still looks like a tornado struck and I know it is really bugging Mr. Tidy House who lives with me. I have a haircut tomorrow and then will plan my attack on the house. Tonight is card club but not here, thank goodness.

"Gma" -- Will called nurse Amanda about taking Benedryl which they had on hand. I had suggested what Bob got from the allergist for his hives, which is generic Claritin. I'm so sorry Jack is sick again. I would be furious with WG too! They screwed up a $2300 prescription for our pastor; he noticed it as they handed it to him and they said they couldn't take it back. They finally did, but he switched to WM because of it. I hope Jack feels better soon.

Maggie -- I'm glad you enjoyed the "new" church and the members sound like they want you to come back. I have heard of the Fit for Life book. Let us know if you learn something you didn't already know. Sonny has taken to napping in the basement. I'm thinking he feels safer down there without the noises upstairs.

Susan -- Hope all is well with you and Casper!

I need to figure out what I'm wearing tonight and probably iron it. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 12-17-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #30  

Good evening, ladies. It's still 56 degrees right now and not supposed to go much lower tonight. We had rain this morning and sunshine.

I started with a nasty old-fashioned head cold. My nose ran faster than I could get the tissues out of the box. It has now moved down into my chest and I have bronchitis. I'm really upset that Carol came to bee and announced she had a terrible cold but came anyway. She knows Adora and I are very susceptible to respiratory things. I'm on prednisone once again for 20 days. I had blood work done 10 days ago and the nurse called me from the doctors office to tell me my CPK enzymes were very high and they needed to repeat the test. It could just be from how active I am but they are concerned because it hasn't shown up before and I have been active. I'm waiting for the results of that now.

Faye, I'm so sorry Jack had that experience. My doc recommends Dilsun cough medicine. It sure works good. Our newspaper said Walgreens dropped Tricare because they cut how much they were paying them. I'm afraid the same thing will happen if they cut Medicare payments.

Jean, It sounds like Sonny is starting to fit in. I hope he realizes what a lucky cat he is to have found a good home.

Maggie, I love my stick blender. I hardly get the big blender out anymore. So many fragrances set off my asthma I'd be happy if they didn't exist at all. What fun Will will have being Santa! Do you like the new Success handbook? We had to work through it before the new changes came out. I found it very helpful and will go through it several times, I'm sure.

Have a wonderful evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote