Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's quite windy but a nice 56 degrees with sunshine. I'm home catching my breath! My morning started with not balancing at church this morning so had to recount and double check all the check amounts, then the new computer program wasn't cooperating and I double entered things that weren't supposed to be there. I was frazzled to say the least, and finally left at 11:15 to go to my luncheon. The meeting part lasted longer than usual so am going back to church in the morning to finish my "job." I will also have to do my gift shop deposit tomorrow. We have another Christmas dinner tonight at 6 and I'm hoping to be home by 7:30 to regroup my thoughts and relax.

Maggie -- Hope your doctor appointment went well. Good luck at WW tonight! I know how much you will enjoy making pasta with your new machine. What kind of vitamins do you take?

"Gma" -- Do you create a spreadsheet for your budget? I keep on gift shop records on one; I didn't make it but got it from the previous treasurer. to Tom and Jay for finishing the race! I've never tried using chopsticks but can imagine I would have more food on me than in me.

I'm going to go work on my afghan until it's time to leave for the dinner. Enjoy your evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit Again

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Happy am I for I showed another 2 pounds down at weigh in this evening and that brings me a bit closer to my goal. So I am not crying but I am certainly celebrating. Yep I am happy. Onward and downward I go, I bought the new WW material tonight so I will have fun going through all the good material included. I also purchased the new "Eat Out" and "Shop" booklets since they don’t come with the bundled things this time around. OH, and I also bought the new cookbook Turn Up The Flavor which I am going to save till tomorrow to thoroughly enjoy.

A good report from my doctor for I have lost weight since my last visit plus my BP is in the normal range so all is well in that department. I do have to go in for the usual lab work though but that won’t be until January. After that when the results come in she wants to see if she can lower my dosage for BP and thyroid meds. I’ll have to take some dosage of those for the rest of my life I do believe. Life is good. Along with my pasta machine I had ordered a stainless colander. It is such a cool long-handled colander which strains pasta or vegetables from the pot. It measures 17½L x 7” W x 3”deep. I can visualize many uses for it in my kitchen. The bowl of the strainer tapers down to about 3” and is shallow toward the handle.

JEAN The vitamins I am taking daily are: 1 Baby Aspirin 81mg; 1 Multivitamin; 1200mg Fish Oil, 50mg B Complex; 1000mg Vitamin C; 1000iu Vitamin D; 400iu Vitamin E; Garlic 2000mg. Will takes the same except he takes more of the Fish Oil per his doctor. This regimen has done us well through the years and every doctor we have been to approves of it heartedly.

Have a great night Magnolias.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-04-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #18  

Good morning girls! It is a balmy 68 degrees here this morning but we are supposed to get thunderstorms all day and into the late evening today. Jack had to work overtime last night so we had chinese takeout for dinner. It is always nice as I get lowmein usually and split it into a couple meals.

Jack just left for work about 10 minutes ago and said he has to work out on the pithog again today. Think of Andrew Jackson on those flatbottom boats and how they got across the river with the big poles in the water and the ropes over their head to pull them across. Well, that is what they use to get out to the pithog only instead of a river, this is basically a sewage lake. I hate it when he has to work out in the middle of that for falling in could be deadly. He worked out there all day yesterday and still has more to do today and in the rain to boot, all for a paycheck!

I am working on T's final sock today and hope to make some big progress so I can then go on to other things. I found a beautiful sleeveless sweater pattern to make for the cruise next year. I am posting the pic and the yarn I want to buy. I think the yarn looks very tropical. A nice pair of light gray or white pants would look great with it I think.

Jean: Sorry you had such trouble with the church counting. I can sure feel for you as I remember the missionary payments driving me bonkers when I did it. Yes, I use an Excel spreadsheet to do my budget. Jack taught me how to use Excel years ago and I know some of the functions like to add or subtract but nothing extensive. I have a system where the budget is all in black. When I pay a bill I color it to red or green or whatever. I then know what still has to be paid or for example at the end of the month sometimes Jack gets his city check and a few days later his Navy retirement. So, I will highlight the bills being paid on his city check like red and his Navy retirement bills in blue and when they are paid change them all to purple as they are paid. I never forget anything this way. I will be glad when our mortgage is paid off. We haven't got a lot of years left but we will have eternal maintenance fees! I hate calling them that as they don't maintain anything.

Maggie: Congrats on the loss, that's great! I take a Centrum Silver 50+ for women and 1600 mg calcium, a low dose aspirin and a probiotic as my supplements then 3 different bp meds so I choke down 7 pills every morning and another calcium in the afternoon. The calcium and vitamin a huge too. I want to get a nice big sifter. I have one of those little ones, the old style that you crank the handle. Problem is, you can only put about a cup at a time in those things.

Well girls, sounds like my first load of laundry is done though with this washer I am liable to start to walk in there and hear it going again. It does a great job but is a weird washer! :lol You all have a nice day today! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb145.jpg (13.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg PYC-FNTSY-9480_s.jpg (3.9 KB, 3 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Sad Day In The Heart-land

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am sad this day. Cecil is nowhere to be found. When it was time for him to come in last night from the yard he wasn’t out there ~ not anywhere we could find. He either found a way to escape or someone cat-napped him. We just don’t know. I didn’t sleep well at all last night ~ listening ~ hoping he would want to have us open the door. I got up several times and went to the back door and there was no cat on the step. I was probably just hearing some strays meow. I am sad. We will check with the pound to see if he has been picked up but other than there we have nowhere else to look for him. He must be hungry for his food dish is still full for he didn’t eat his evening meal. And here it is morning and he is not home. I usually look at the bright side of things but I can’t find the bright side of this happening.

Have a great day Magnolias.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #20  

Good morning, ladies! I have spring fever this day for it is already in the 70s with sunshine. A good day for a walk after the Y this afternoon.

I have a Christmas potluck luncheon tomorrow at the Y for the aquatic classes and Thursday is First Thursday Bee's meeting and dinner. Need those APs and a careful eye for sure. I'm loving my ActiveLink and it certainly has me moving more. I love to see those lights stay on and the points I earn.

Faye, Congrats to Tom and Jack II for their finish in the race. I'm going to walk a half marathon in 2013 or perish in the attempt. We have plenty of races around here so I just have to get training. That sure sounds like a nasty job that Jack has to do. I love the yarn for your new sweater. It a very pretty pattern.

Jean, it's exasperating when things don't work like they should. My boss was waiting for me this am because he could get the laptop hooked up to the project screen in the conference room. He gets flustered quick. It's hard to get in the Christmas decorating spirit when our weather is so nice. I know that is forecasted to change by the end of the week however.

Maggie, Oh my goodness! I hope Cecil makes his way home. I couldn't stand it if anything like that happened to Casper. Fortunately he doesn't want anything to do with the great outdoors. Thanks for the sharing the things you take to stay healthy. I take what you do except for E and Garlic. I'm going to add them to my regimen. You are on a roll with your weight loss. 2013 may be your goal year!

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #21  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful sunny day, but still breezy and cooler with a high predicted for 50. I've been to church and had to start all over with my mess from yesterday. "Someone" dumped what I was working on; this new upgrade is going to drive me nuts until all the glitches are fixed. Now I have gift shop money to count and dust/fur bunnies to vacuum. Tomorrow morning the deck cat goes to the vet.

Maggie -- on losing another 2#s! You are doing so well working the program! I am so sorry Cecil is awol. I hope he comes home soon. I can imagine how worried you are!

"Gma" -- Chinese sounds good as we haven't had that in awhile. What does Jack have to do in a pithog? It sounds gross to me! I really like the yarn, it will be so pretty made up.

Susan -- We are supposed to head down into the 20s, with snow on the way, towards the weekend. From the weather map this morning it looked like the western states were getting hit again. We really need rain so the ground will freeze. I'm with your boss . . . NO patience when it comes to technology! The church secretary flips from screen to screen so fast I can't keep up with her. I'll bet you do too! Have fun at the Christmas potluck. What are you going to make?

I need to keep moving. I ordered a pair of shoes from the local shoe store so I'm hoping they come in today. Have a nice day and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 12-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #22  

Had to come back in and say Maggie, praying Cecil will either come home on his own or be found at the pound. I know your heart is breaking. Thoughts are with you.

Jean: Don't know why they call it a pithog, but I have never seen it. Jack described it to me as a machine that keeps the sludge moving. What happened yesterday is they had to replace these electrical cables about the size of your forearm and they had to pull them out of the sludge and then replace them. I don't know exactly how they do that, but it takes a lot of strength I guess. They stand on the boat and pull the cables. I don't exactly know the process but they are replacing the old cables with the new ones today.

Susan: Have fun at your potluck! The guys did a great job on the marathon.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Great News

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Great news! We found Cecil. We got home this evening from being out and about looking at folks decorated houses and when we drove up I ask Will if he had checked everywhere, absolutely everywhere in our yard for Cecil and he said as he pointed, “Just not in that shed.” Beanie had made a bea line to that shed and was running around it. Well low and behold when Will went and unlocked the door out shot Cecil. He evidently had gone in there yesterday afternoon when Will had the door open for he was doing some yard work and was not aware Cecil was in there when he locked it all up. All is well that ends well. We are so happy now we have him back. Beanie is beside himself with joy. Cecil came in and ate a couple bites of food then went outside and came right back in and is eating some now. I think he might be miffed at his "people." Ladies thanks for your kind concern. I will be back tomorrow and do personals. Just had to tell you the good news.

Have a great night Magnolias.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #24  

Maggie -- What wonderful news about Cecil! I am so glad he is back with his family! I can imagine he is a bit put out being shut in the shed.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #25  

Good morning ladies. We are cool here this morning, upper 50's but in a couple days it will be back to 70 then back in the 50's again. Weird weather just like last year, but as long as it isn't freezing I am ok.

I have had a couple great days and today a bit of a set back but just some shakiness and a bit of cramping is all. I took some Advil so hope it will do the trick. It is amazing how much you can get done when you feel good and how you just want to sit when you don't.

We now have all the plans set up for the holidays and such. Thomas has a Christmas band concert on the 11th then we are going out to dinner at a deli afterwards with the kids. We always spend Christmas Eve with them so this year Kelly is going to make a roast for dinner and we will go over and play games and have snacks before dinner and have dinner around 7 or so. My job is homemade yeast rolls and a couple pies. I am just giving Thomas money and his socks for Christmas so the only gift I still have to wrap is Tom's parents. I got them a big ole box from Swiss Colony that has sausages, a ham, mustard, jams, crackers, cakes, etc, etc. I know his dad will really like it. Kelly called me last night to talk about it all and said she puts ranch dressing in her roast. I didn't say anything but thought, "Oh dear Lord Jack will never eat it." She then laughed and said, "I didn't mean ranch dressing I mean Lipton's Onion Soup Mix!" Whoa, that sounds more like it. I told her that her dad will love it as I never put onions in my roast. Christmas will be just Jack and I and quiet around our house. We will talk to Jay and Alicia and Jackson on the phone and that will be about it.

I am almost to the heel on his second sock (like I said, pays to feel better) and zooming right along. I hate it when I am goofing off and looking at knitting patterns and find something that I want to try. I then put everything aside to try it. I found this new pattern called minimania. I am posting a pic of the scarf. It uses small "mini" skeins of yarn of fingering or sock weight yarn and the linen stitch to make a woven looking scarf. You can make placemats too and they turn out lovely. I just want to try it and see how it comes out using my leftovers of sock yarn. You change yarn every two rows so it makes this wonderful pattern. I am thinking of making one for Alicia for her birthday as she loves scarves. I also want to make Kelly this pair of slippers she wants and do the sweater for the cruise and of course socks for both boys for Christmas next year and maybe a new winter had that actually fits him for Jay. So I have lots of projects on tap for next year!

Maggie: Oh I am soooooo glad you found Cecil and except for being peeved at you none the worse for wear. I lost my baby son once...truly. After Jay was born, Jack had to go on sea duty for the first time. I didn't want to live alone in San Diego and so I went to live with his parents. They lived out in the desert in Las Cruces, NM. Jay was about 6 months at this time and crawling like a mad man. They had this awful miniature poodle that I hated but he sure loved Jay. He followed him around the house crawling on his belly just like Jay. One day, I asked my mil where Jay was. We freaked out as neither of us had him, he wasn't in his crib or anywhere in the bedrooms, living room, dining room, bathroom, tv room or kitchen. We knew he couldn't have gotten out, but we looked on the back screened in porch and then outside. I gotta tell you I was freaking out. We went back through the whole house and he was not there. I was getting ready to call the police, when my mil started laughing and told me to come here. There was Jay, his chubby little body stuck behind the couch. He had followed Buddy through the opening between the couch and the wall and Buddy got through, but fatso didn't and was stuck. The thing is, he didn't cry out or make a sound at all he was just working that fat little behind to try and get out!

Jean: It is gross working on the pithog, but then money is money. The problem is, he is pretty much the oldest guy that works out there and with his bad knees, I really worry about him. He just does his job though and keeps quiet. He is senior tech out there and will be until he retires so it does have its benefits, like first pick of vacation time, time off and such. He can bump someone too, though he would never do that unless it was an emergency, but I know it is hard on him. I feel guilty sitting at home, but what can you do? I have never had a career and with us moving around never had a job for a long time except the law firm so at this age getting a job as a receptionist or secretary is pretty much out of the question. They want younger people. Besides, with my health issues it isn't feasible to work again.

Susan: I am technically stupid but give me a computer and you need research and I am your gal. If I can't find it, it doesn't exist, but you want me to connect the computer to the printer and I am sunk without being told what to do. I talked to Jay when they got home on Monday night and told him, "Well guess you have to head back to work tomorrow but at least you don't have to get out in the cold and run 17 miles in the morning." He said, "Mama, I may never run again!" Tom has run several marathons and Jay just did this for St Jude's so I doubt running will be in his exercise plan from now on. He gets his exercise from his jujitsu. I guess Jackson has started classes. She told me he wears his Kung Fu Panda tshirt I bought him on the ship to his lessons!

Well gals, I need to start on the ole morning chores and clean the kitchen. Have a great middle of the week! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5368768223_6e8cc4ec53.jpg (70.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cold windy day in my corner of the world. The sun is trying hard to shine but there is a cloud cover in the way. I tricked Ernie's little brother into going into the carrier by putting his breakfast in there. He was not a happy camper when I shoved him on in and shut the door. He was good at the vet's office though he did growl a time or two. He doesn't have feline leukemia but does have a respiratory infection so $111 later, came home with antibiotics. I shut him in the garage and he headed straight for the door. Now when I go out he dives under Bob's work bench and behind a pile of lumber. I hope he will mellow; Bob thinks we should let him back outside but I'm not so sure.

"Gma" -- Hope you are back to having ALL good days! It sounds like your Christmas plans are all set. That is a nice feeling for sure. The yarn is beautiful! I had to at minimania name. Will you weave the ends in each time or tie a knot? I've heard that companies sometimes will hire an older person because they are more dependable and don't have the child care issues that younger parents have. We stopped at the DQ yesterday afternoon, for a cone, and an older lady waited on us. She was so personable and pleasant that we both commented on how nice she was as we were leaving. Running isn't my "thing" either; Bob says he's never seen a runner smiling as they run.

I have laundry going and bell practice later. Bob's group is singing with us this Sunday so is practicing with us today. That should be interesting since we aren't playing up to speed yet. It could be a long practice!
Enjoy the rest of your day and keep warm!

Last edited by Jean; 12-05-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #27  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Cool Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Cecil is back to loving us once again and wanting attention when he wants it. Currently he is asleep on the bed with the door closed. The dogs are outside and all is rather quiet around here. I ate a noodle dish in my bamboo bowl with chop sticks for I was very hungry this day. I haven’t had a “hungry day” in ages and will watch real close what I put inside this mouth this day. Be on guard. My snack this afternoon was a couple of those wonderful little cuties. I’m so glad they are back in season once again. We have finished what decorations we plan on putting up now. The glass village is all lit and festive looking and we have a few other decorations round about in the front room. Looks good and not “overdone” if you get my drift. Simple and nice.

I have been working on a box for a gentleman and it is turning out cute. I made a butterfly for the top of it in shades of blue and will decorate it with some beads. I have a house to build and that will finish up my orders and I can take a break from glass work for a while and start playing with my pasta machine. My hungry streak has passed and all is well for I got busy doing glass work and never eat while doing that. I will be making baked pork chops and scalloped potatoes, green beans & salad for dinner after class tonight. I like to put the chops right on top of the potatoes to bake.

JEAN After paying that vet bill I imagine you will be keeping that cat. I can imagine both the choir and your bells will sound real nice together. Are you going to do a Christmas program together?

DONNA FAYE What gorgeous yarn and it looks so soft. What a cute story about when Jay was a baby with that dog. I can imagine your fright when he came up missing only to find him behind that couch. What a kid. Isn't that a great feeling to have your Christmas plans all taken care of.

Type at y'all later. Have a great evening.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-05-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #28  

Good morning everyone. Looks like it wants to rain today again but I haven't looked at the forecast. I don't turn on the tv to our local news in the morning as I don't want to listen to half an hour of who was murdered overnight. It is just vile.

I am a little under the weather this morning. My right shoulder is bothering me again and Fortune would not lay down and sleep last night so I had to deal with that and didn't get any sleep or very little myself. So, this morning Jack made himself a big breakfast, which stunk up the house and made me nauseous since I had no sleep. I am going to finish here and fix some toast and see if that will settle it.

Please pray for Henry. I do not know his last name but he works at Jack's plant. He is an operator, which means he takes measurements, checks dials that sort of thing for all the operations out there. Tuesday night, he was in a city truck driving around to the different areas of the plant and had a stroke in the truck and hit a big gas main. Luckily, he was going slow enough it didn't rupture and on the good side, hitting it prevented the truck from going off into the lagoon, which is the sewage lake I was telling you about. He is in intensive care at one of the hospitals here in town, but this is his second stroke and he is probably about 5 years younger then I. I couldn't believe it when Jack told me.

Maggie: Yep, unlike humans animals aren't grudge holders! I am sure he is glad he is out of the shed though. I bet the village just looks adorable. I have seen some of the things posted on FB of Christmas decor. I am hoping maybe I can go out and look at decorations in a week or so. The road on the way out to where we shop has upper middle income people and lots of them had really nice decorations out when we came home the other night. Jack never did this as a kid and thinks it's stupid, but I did it as a kid and I took my two every year and our tradition was to get ice cream cones. I know I have told the story and sounds stupid to get ice cream in winter, but we lived in the southwest when I started this so it was warm. When we moved to colder areas, we just kept it up. When it is really cold we would get looks, but not too much.

Jean: How are you guys going to get the antibiotics into him if he is staying away from you now??? One of the cool things about this scarf is you can take any colors, stash leftovers, etc and make a beautiful woven like look. Of course, the smallest scarf you cast on 200 stitches so you have to be prepared for that. You can do it either way, either weave in ends or leave length and make tassels. I don't know what I would do I would have to decide at the last minute.

I think we have the couple we enjoyed so much at dinner on the cruise convinced to go with us next year. They live in Kansas City, Kansas and would fly in, but we would meet them on the ship etc and we would make advanced plans to sit together at dinner and all that stuff. They are actually about 10 years older than us, but she is a live wire and I love her to death. We laughed til we cried about some things we talked about.

Well girls, I have to go upstairs today and clean bathrooms. Hope you all have a great day today. Stay warm and dry. Faye
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #29  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's misting and a "warm" 41 degrees in my neighborhood this morning. The wind has calmed down again so that's nice. I need to go to the grocery store then look for an electric pencil sharpner that Beth has on her Christmas list. Our church staff - volunteer dinner is tonight and I offered to bring a vegetable. I called the pastor's wife to see how many were coming. She said 22 had said "yes" while there were another 15 or so she hadn't heard from. She is cooking the turkey and dressing; I think it is so rude when people don't rsvp and especially when food is involved. Anyhow, I am taking the easy way out and fixing corn in the crockpot. I can add the leftovers to soup, if there are any.

"Gma" -- What a scary thing for Jack's coworker Henry! I hope he gets along ok and has family support close by. We had DQ cones a couple days ago after we voted in the school election. It felt more like a spring day than fall/winter. The cat will eat canned food so I put the pill in that. He ate the first one, no problem. The one I put out for supper was mushed in the remnants of the food this morning. I guess I will smash the next one and mix it in. He is still in hiding under Bob's workbench and behind some lumber. We are leaving the cars outside so we won't scare him any more. I would let him back outside but I'm afraid he may take off never to be seen again. Bob doesn't think he will go too far since his food source is here. It would be nice if you can travel with the other couple on the next cruise. We enjoy having company on our Maui trips. I'll let you know how FL goes!

I need to get dressed and get moving. I got my driver's license yesterday and I look like I should be on the po wall of "most wanted" criminals! It is my worst picture ever! Enjoy your day and have a good one!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #30  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently a chilly 40º here in the ♥-Land and not expected to get over the 50ºs this day. No rain in sight. We do so need rain. If we don’t get rain the price of anything made of these crops in the plains will sky rocket. Ranchers are selling off cattle for the hay is so scarce and what they can find they can’t afford to buy. We need rain soon to save the winter crops that have been planted or they will all die in the field for lack of water. It’s a sad day when a farmer has to plow his crop under.

On a happier note ♪ I am going to finish that butterfly topped box this day and get it in the mail. Will is making me a leather holder for my new WW tracker which is bigger than last years and won’t work with my current holder. It’s like a binder but doesn’t have the rings for paper but has pockets and a closer tab that comes around and snaps on the front. The snap is a buffalo head nickel. It holds my weight loss things to keep track and my weigh-in card nicely. He made the one I have now thick enough to hold my “pocket guide” plus the tracker. I like it a lot and folks at WW asked where I got it.

Cecil sure has been coming around wanting attention more today than he has in a long time. He loves having his ears scratched. He is now taller than Beanie and they look so cute together when they wrestle around. Cecil is a BIG kitty. He is so cute when he lines up with the dogs to get a “treat.” They sit in a row very patiently looking so cute.

JEAN There is so many things you can do with left over corn so that is a good very veggie to take. It is good as corn, corn fritters, cornbread, corn pudding, corn salad ~ and the list goes on. People are rude then they don't let the hostess know one way or another if they are going to make it to the party. Especially when it invoves a meal.

DONNA FAYE Hope you get to take a nap this day since your sleep was so disturbed last night and your pain subsides. Yep Will likes his ice cream no matter what the weather so I can see you and your kids eating cones in the snow. Jack's co-worker is sure fortunate he didn't go into the muck. Hopefully he gets back to exact now that he is under the care of a doc. That is terrific you can team up with that couple you had such a good time with before on your cruise. Something good to look forward to for sure.

Have a wonderful afternoon Magnolias.