Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #196  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

thought I'd share...

9 Secrets of Longevity

As Buettner and his team studied the Blue Zones, they identified nine common traits shared by those communities where people live longer. He was surprised that it wasn’t only food and lifestyle, but also creating a most beneficial environment. Here’s a look at these longevity-boosting traits, known as the “Power of 9.:

Move naturally. “Do your own house and yard work, go up and down your stairs with your laundry, knead your own dough,” Buettner advises. “Incorporate more movement every hour.”
Know your purpose. “Take time to recognize your values, strengths, talents, passions and gifts,” Buettner says. Reflect, and work on yourself.
Down shift. Relieve chronic stress by finding time each day to nap, meditate or pray.
The 80% rule. Cut 20 percent of your daily calories with proven healthy practices: eat a big breakfast, dine with your family, and begin each meal by expressing appreciation.
•Plant slant. Eat mostly plant-based foods, and small portions of meat no more than twice a week.
•Wine at 5. Drinkers live longer than non-drinkers. This longevity tip had one exception: those in the Loma Linda Blue Zone were Seventh Day Adventists, who abstain from alcohol.
Family first. Living in a loving, thriving family can add up to six years to your life. Work on a positive, committed relationship and stay close to your aging parents and grandparents.
Belong.“Those with the most social connectedness tend to live longer,” Buettner says. Be part of a group of healthy-minded, supportive people.
Right tribe. Good friends have a positive effect on your longevity. Support them and adopt healthy behaviors together.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #197  
Choose your hard

Back to personals...

Mel - I'm sorry you are feeling under the weather. Looks like you have Frankenstorm heading up your way. Hope you will be ok and able to stock up on some supplies. Maybe the big winds will blow away the sinus schmutz. Probably not. Get better soon I'm glad you were able to coach one of the office ladies to handle the drama next time.

Laura - bummer that you could not get antibiotics. My doctor was not one to readily hand them out but would if an infection was present. Especially since those tend to come back over and over again. Passed by your area twice on the expressway - was a little mournful at all the good restaurants we had to pass by. You live in a great area . We almost stopped in the neighborhood to check out the old house but opted to keep going which was good considering the storm we were headed into. I think you will enjoy Dolores Claiborne. Glad you got to meet Patty for dinner.

Patty - looks like you had a nice trip to the city. Great pictures you posted!

Shad - I'm sure you are glad to be home for the weekend. Sounds like Darwin is not on the favorites list nor is this account. Hope things get better for you. Did you get through the conversation with the Scotsman? I find that one of the hardest accents to understand. How is spring down under? Hope you get to visit Sophia - they grow so fast.

Ceejay - sending good thoughts for your grandniece. The girls are right - babies may start out at a disadvantage but hopefully with the good medical treatment available, they catch up quickly. How are you feeling? Thanks for reminding me about voting. I think we registered to vote when we got our drivers licenses - I have to check into that.

Michelle - glad you didn't get put on probation at work. Sorry that the ex is being the way he is. Better that you get out of there although I can't see why the hurry to get everything packed and out of there by Nov 3. Although the sooner you cut ties, the better for you. Will Santa be able to handle it on his own once you move into the apartment or will he miss his fur faced family members?

Annie - sorry that you are having issues with the co-workers. I can relate. I know the stress is not good for you but don't jepardize (sp?) yourself to get out of that situation. Good for you for getting some counseling/support. I also understand that aspect. How is C liking his new job now other than long hours and being dog tired? Is he in a better place?

Java - I about fell out of my chair smiling at your video of taking Stinky the Turtle for a walk. SO CUTE!!!!

Gosh - being away from the computer for a few weeks I am so far behind. Blew a good part of my day off trying to catch up and I still have laundry and unpacking to do. Better get downstairs and get busy.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #198  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Just got through the post. Did a shift a to start a personal for Annie and the whole thing highlighted and the next key I hit wiped the lot out. Service me right for trying to take shortcuts and have the computer on my knee and using only the stupid mouse pad on the laptop.

No time to go do the lot all over again. So you will need to wait for any revelations until tomorrow. I think I may have slipped and done a Ctrl A rather than the Shift A.

Bah Humbug
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #199  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

WE ARE ALL LOCKED DOWN & AWAIT SANDY'S VISIT LATE TOMORROW.
YOU CAN FEEL THIS STRANGE LULL BEFORE THE STORM,
WEATHER SO MILD AND "STILL".
IT ACTUALLY FEELS FUNNY ON THE EARS.
I TOLD THE SENIORS NOT TO WATCH THE WEATHER CHANNEL!!!

BUT IF I GO AMONGST THE MISSING, YOU WILL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.
WE HAVE A LOT OF OLD TREES HERE.
AT LEAST THE BLDG HAS THE GENERATOR TO LIGHT THE HALLS.
THE COPS CALLED AND ASKED FOR MY LANDLINE.
MY CELL PHOINE IS ALREADY ACTING UP. THEIRS TOO.

I FEEL A BIT BETTER AND HAVE A FEW PILLS LEFT TO TAKE.
JUST FEELING A BIT WORN OUT.
OF COURSE THE ALARMS BEGAN LAST NIGHT.
THEY ENDE3D AROUND MIDNIGHT.
THE FULL MOON & AN APPROACHING STORM

MY FRIEND RECITED THE SPEECH I GAVE HER SO WELL,
THAT THE DRAMA IS SUPPOSEDLY DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS.
WE WILL KNOW MORE AS TIME GOES ON.
THANK GOD I HAVE A MIND FULL OF "BETTER BS" THAN THE NEXT MAN!
SHE IS OFF AND HAVING A GOOD WEEKEND.
SHE ACTUALLY LAUGHED LAST NIGHT.

I BETTER GO AND EAT & ENJOY THE QUIET MORNING.

CEEJAY.....THANKS FOR THE UPDATES ON THE BABY
IWILL THINK OF THEM BOTH TODAY AND EVERY DAY TILL THEY GET HOME SAFE
YOU JUST REMINDED ME THAT JEN NEEDS HER FLU SHOT!!
I BET SHE FORGOT TOO. WAS TOO SICK THE DAY THEY CAME HERE. THANKS!

MICHELLE....WTF!!! HE IS A B*ASTARD.
BUT YOU HAVE BETTER5 THINGS TO THINK ABOUT.
FOCUS ON ALL THE POSITIVE AND FEEL THE HURT LATER WHEN IT'S LESS PAINFUL.
JUST BECOME A ROBOT FOR NOW AND FORGE AHEAD.
I KNOW....EASIER SAID THAN DONE.
BUT I KNOW YOU CAN MOVE PAST THIS & YOU WANT YOUR JOB!

ANNIE....I HAD LOTS OF TIME TO THINK OF YOU LAST NIGHT.
GLAD YOU FOUND THE NOTE
HOPE THE MEETING WENT WELL AND YOU LEFT SOME DEAD FISH BY THE CULPRITS DESK
STAY STRONG MY SISTA

LAURA....HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER.
SORRY THE DOCTOR WAS NO HELP.
I HAVE LOTS OF THEM TOO AT THE MDA CLINIC
GET WELL SOON
ENJOY THE NIGHT IF YOU GUYS GO.
WHEN YOU MENTIONED KARAOKE...
I CAN JUST SEE A BUNCH OF DRUNKEN SENIORS

HAPPY.......I WENT THRU 500 EMOTIONS READING YOUR POST.
WISH MOM COULD LIVE HERE!!!
I CAN IMAGINE ALL YOU WENT THRU WITH HER THERE AND ALSO GOING HOME.
SNOW MIGHT FLY BY US WITH THIS STORM.
DEPENDS ON WHERE IT HITS.
SO SENDING HUGS FOR BOTH OF YOU
GLAD YOU GUYS MADE IT HOME WITH THE CRAPPY WEATHER ETC.
GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK.I HAD A LAUGH AT MISSING YOUR "PEACE".
IT'S THE FIRST THING I MISS WHEN THE DOORBELL RINGS
SO I CAN COMMISERATE WITH YOU!!
I WILL READ YOUR LONGEVITY POST LATER.
BUT I AM NOT DOING THIS ONE: "go up and down your stairs with your laundry".....CAUSE THAT FIRST STEP DOWN IS A KILLER IN THE CHAIR
SORRY.....COULDN'T RESISIT!!! ROFLMYASSOFF!!

SHAD....NOT TO WORRY.
WE KNOW YOU LOVE US!
HOPE YOU ARE HOME AND HAVING A GOOD LIE IN

Last edited by MELODY525; 10-27-2012 at 08:45 AM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #200  
Choose your hard

Good morning ladies,

It's Saturday they tell me. Long work day - I hope I am not by myself as often this is the busiest day of the week. Pretty pink sunrise this morning but it's getting cold out there. The bed was nice and warm and comfy - didn't want to get out of it. Got alot done yesterday - seemed to take right up until I went to sleep to get it done.

Mel - crossing my fingers that Sandy blows past you. (Your smiley is hysterical ) I have a relative named that and she was hoping it would be a big hurricane - seems it will be worse than that. I wondered if a hurricane hitting an artic blast would bring snow to the area. Hope it is not as bad as they are talking - at least not out your way. Just in time to mess the week day commute and shut the city down. I'm sure the cell towers will be jammed - good thing you kept a land line. Hunker down and keep everyone calm. I hope you have provisions to keep you warm and the tummy filled. Sending warm thoughts your way :flow:

Shad - must be erratic energy eminating from this site to mess up posts. Yesterday I kept hitting some combination of actions somehow that kept reducing the size of my font. I think sometimes the right angle of my hands over the laptop mousepad does that. Very annoying. In the meantime we will wait to hear the latest updates from your side of town...

It's the weekend so it will probably be quiet here. I'd better get cleaned up and ready for work. Have a good weekend all and be safe Mel.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #201  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Up and doing things this morning. Taking a break from ironing. That kills my shoulders.

Made a pot of soup yesterday and cornbread.

Went to the new super Walmart. There was a sea of people on there.

Happy
Hope your work day goes well.

Mel
Good for you in helping out a friend. Been thinking about you and the two storms. Stay safe.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #202  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

ceeg...who the heck irons anymore...really....my philosphoy is...if it doesn't come out of the dryer or washer looking good into the trash it goes....lol No shoulder probs here.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #203  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

MELLIE...the storm is name quite right..SANDY...that is Cs eldest daughter and solely thinks of herself and way to get money out of daddy. I usually jump in the middle and stop that crap. She is renting dad's house and is now 2 mos behind. Bullsh*t. It Ps me off so much but say so little...it is his battle. His two came to his Bd party and didn't even bring a card or nothing. At least Sam brought a card and Tater brought a card with a gift card in it. My kids appreciate him more than his own.....blah. Looks like at this time Sandy is hitting NJ head on. Stay safe sweet sister...love you and praying for a mild ordeal. xoxo
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #204  

Morning all,
Yep Happy - my fonts shift alot as well. Ctrl +0 (not o) will bring them back to 100%. Usually only happens on Internet 9. I tried to change the compatibility mode once and it keeps telling me I am not the administrator. If I am not who is? And the other thing I have found is that if you have more than one finger hovering over that mouse pad thingy, then it will do some stupid things to the computer. So we better dumb it down and type with only one finger of each hand.

Mel - hope the storm does not 'get ya'. They can be nasty things. I'd better check the news for anything on that. But it is 5am and the brain is not yet working straight. Feel better soon

To go back to the personals I lost yesterday.

Laura - yep, got the pay tv channels working again. DS2 obviously is not as technologically ******ed as me. I seem to get things to work with swear words and the appropriate kick whereas he looks for loose connections and bad terminals.

Michelle - Don't take this too much to heart. Okay so he is being a typical man in lust. If he wants you out of the house with all your stuff by 3rd November, he can always give you a hand. However, he isn't, so he doesn't really care whether you are or not. Just do what you can and don't let the d*ckhead bother you any more.

Annie - hope you are having a great weekend and not getting in a stew over the job. It's a job girl, it pays the bills, it doesn't have to take over your life.

Yesterday I went out to take a look at the garden. The beans are about done, the neighbours and the friend have done okay out of them. The corn is starting to cob up and some of the baby carrots are ready. The tops of the potatoes had died off so I dug around to see if there were any spuds in the ground and yep there is enough for a couple of feeds. So maybe we will try it again next year. There are fruit on the capsicum plants and the couple of beetroot left are doing okay and will be ready soon. I'm going to take the spuds and a lettuce back with me tomorrow morning.
Today I am having breakfast with the DB2 and DS1 and his g/f. I have some work to do in the garden before the rain comes back, and if I can, I want to mow the weeds. Unfortunately I won't get to see the niece and sprog or the DB1 this time around unless I can find the time to visit her at work or him when he stops work, which isn't likely. Next time I get the weekend off, I am using my free flight to go to Adelaide to see DS2 and the sproglet. Then I might have some photos to share. For sure I ain't getting any out of them. Gotta go. No news on Hurricane Sandy is good news.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #205  
Happy September

GOOD MORNING CHICKS.

WE HAVEN'T BLOWN AWAY YET.
THE 3 OF US COOKED LAST NIGHT JUST IN CASE.
AT LEAST THERE WILL BE SOME FOOD TO EAT THAT IS NOT TINNED.
LAST NIGHT I GAVE THE SENIORS A JOB FOR TODAY.
THEY ARE TO FILL UP SOME BOTTLES & JUGS WITH WATER.
THAT SHOULD KEEP THEM BUSY.
I HAD A BOX OF EMPTY SELTZER BOTTLES FOR THEM.
THEY WERE GONE IN SECONDS

NOT MUCH ELSE IS NEW. DID ONLINE BILLING.
TALKED TO MY BOSS. GOT MY "INSTRUCTIONS".
SPOKE WITH 2 YOUNG COPS THAT WANTED EMERGENCY INFO.
TOLD THEM WE WILL BE FINE. THEY WANTED MY NUMNBER TOO.
MAYBE I SHOULD JUST POST IT ON A BILLBOARD IN TOWN!!!

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS STORM IS THAT ONE FRONT OUT AT SEA IS HOLDING IT
AND TURNING IT WEST TO OUR COASTLINE.
THEN THERE IS THE COLD FRONT THAT IS JOINING IT FROM THE OTHER SIDE.
THEY PREDICT THAT WEST VIFGINIA WILL HAVE 2 FEET OF SNOW!!!!
HOPING MARY HOTCUP & NEW HUBBY WILL BE OK.

SPENT TIME WITH JEN CHATTING.
SHE RAN TO THE STORE FOR MORE CAT FOOD.
AS YOU CAN IMAGINE, THE STORES ARE LIKE ZOOS.
ALL THE ANIMALS PUSHING & SHOVING.
SHE MADE IT HOME IN ONE PIECE
NEXT TIME RICHIE SAID HE IS GOING.
SHE'S NOT ALLOWED OUT
YEAH RIGHT RICHIE.
PEOPLE ARE BEGINNING TO CALL THEM LUCY & RICKY.

I AM STARVING.....SO OFF TO BREKKIE I GO

HAPPY....I LOVE THAT HURRICANE SMILEY TOO. HE MAKES ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!!
I HAD A LOAUGH AT SANDY WANTING IT TO BE A BIGGIE!!
SHE MIGHT JUST BE REMEMBERED FOR YEARS TO COME!!
THEY SAY THE DAMAGES ALONE COULD ACTUALLY BE IN THE BILLIONS.
BUT THEN THE NEWS CHANNELS HERE ARE HAVING A FIELD DAY WITH THE DRAMA.
HAPPY...I WAS WONDERING IF THERE IS NOT WORK YOU COULD DO FROM HOME?
LIKE ON THE COMPUTER?
HOPE YOU WON'T HAVE THAT MANY DAYS ALOJNE EITHER!:hugs:
WEEKENDS GOTTA BE THE BUSIEST!!!

SHAD.....YOU'RE BUSY EVEN WITH JUST THE VISITING!!
GLAD YOU GOT TO SEE SOME OF THE FAMILY.
BUT DID YOU GET THE DS1 & DS2 BACKWARDS??
HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TIME.
THE GARDEN SOUNDED PRETTY GOOD AND MORE SPUDS THAN LAST YEAR??
HOME GROWN MUYST TASTE BETTER?? JUST WONDERING.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK. IF ANYTHING HAPPENS WE'LL LET YOU KNOW!!

CEEJAY....I WISH YOU WOULD IRON ALL MY TOPS.
I JUST FOUND MY IRON YESTERDAY.
I WAS SEARCHING FOR WATER PITCHERS!!!
HOPE THE SHOULDER FEELS OK TODAY
A NEW WALMARTS DEFINITELY ATTRACTS ATTENTION!! LOL

ANNIE....I HEAR YOU LOUD & CLEAR ON C'S DAUGHTER.
WHAT AN INGRATE. HOPE ONE DAY HE STANDS UP TO HER.
WE'RE HAVING SOME PROBS WITH RICHIE'S KIDS.
THEY'RE NOT BABIES ANYMORE SO I STOPPED THE "EXTRAS".
THEY SEEM TO THINK THAT ALL 3 OF US SHOULD BE SUPPORTING THEM!!
MORE FRASSING INGRATES!!
WE WILL BE SAFE. JUST A LOT OF WIND I HOPE.
I JUST WORRY ABOUT LOSING ELECTRIC.
IT'S SUCH A NECESSITY TO ME NOW.

Last edited by MELODY525; 10-28-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #206  
Happy September

Laura.....i Thought Of You Yesterday.
I Watched The Good Witch's Marathon And Taped The Newest Addition. The Good Witch's Charm. Cute Baby. But I Fell Asleep!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Morning,
My niece went home yesterday. She was tired. The baby had to stay.

Mel
You are to cute trying to keep the seniors busy.

Annie
I don't iron all the time especially if I can get clothes out of the dryer in time.

Shad
Have a safe trip back to work.

Hello's to Laura and Happy.

Nothing new for me. I'm back to work today. Going tomorrow for my mammogram.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #208  
Choose your hard

Hi girls,

I am halfway through a long post and my PC is freezing again - stupid ads.

I have to get ready for work so don't have time to repost AND with my PC stuck I can't simply copy the post and paste it to another window.

Mel - be safe from Sandy. I hope the storm is not too devistating.

Will catch up with the rest of you lot later tonight when I get home.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #209  

Height: 5'5"

Ladies ladies ladies...I am just checking in, was sick Monday and Tuesday, then DD3 had a dentist appt on Wednesday...thursday and friday are a blur then worked adn went out Friday AND Saturday!! Trying to make it thru today...I didn't plan well. was out until 2am and still had to be at work by 8am.

Will catch up to see what's been going on in your lives...I feel like i have been missing my friends!
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #210  

Back at the airport. Sometimes seems I never leave here. Dontcha think they would provide a comfy armchair for me by now. Nah.

Hope everyone gets out of this Sandy Storm okay. Batten down the hatches and we will see you at the other side. There's a spare bed or two at my place you can have if you need shelter.

No personals since it won't be long until I board. Maybe tonight if I don't go to sleep first.