Old 08-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #226  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Annie - sending you some prayers for your brother's surgery. Hope all goes well for him. That's unfortunate that SIL cannot put aside any personal feelings at this time when everyone should be rallying support. Love those suction cup hummingbird feeders - especially for someone like me who can't see distance that much - you really get a good eyeful of the little buggers. Because of window types and screens, we can't use those here but I am able to get pretty close to them to the feeders on the deck.

Michelle - glad the Estrovan is helping. Anything to be more comfortable. I totally understand the "jump out of your skin feeling" - reminds me of that when I look at a toddler and sometimes they stand there and just shake because they have all this pent up energy and they're not sure what direction to go in because the mind is racing, racing, racing

When I was younger I loved the excitement of the city. Then you get involved in your career and it's heads down and you don't notice it - only when someone comes in to visit do you seem to take part and enjoy what the city has to offer. Then you turn a phase and the city gets too crowded and you're way past the bar hopping and nightlife and what the city means and only then can you appreciate the county life. I tell people that I had to go through things in my life (good and bad) in order to appreciate what I have today. And it's nice that there is something for everyone. I actually kind of feel sorry for the young kids that live here - I think how boring this must be for them

Ah geez, I just realized it's Monday and I forgot about the Farmers Market in town...
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #227  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

My brother is successfully in ICU Recovery! YaHooo!!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I've had a good week end. And a good birthday today.

Thursday I leave out again to go back to Jonesboro to take my bff to get a pain management treatment.
------

Annie
I'm happy that your brother made it through surgery.

Happy
All of your pictures have been really good.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #229  
Choose your hard

Glad to hear you're brother's surgery went well Annie - that has to be a relief!

Also glad you are having a good birthday Ceejay.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures - glad you guys are enjoying them.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #230  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Glad to hear that things went well for your brother Annie

Annie - good to hear that you had a good birthday.

Michelle - us old folk have meltdowns, things get on top of us at times. Good to hear that you are having success with the Estroven. It's a personal journey for each of use. I used soy milk for some years while my body rejected regular milk. I guess I didn't know it can be dangerous. Probably a case of moderation over excess. The Japanese use a lot of soy and very few of them have problems with menopause - we had a discussion about this in one of Chris' English classes that I attended and they were surprisingly frank for Japanese who are usually reserved about these personal things.

Ellen, well done on the 11 pounds down. You must be happy that the kids are back in school. I used to love it when I was home and they came home from school. It was so exciting to find out what they had been up to and then you never knew what you might pull out of DS2s backpack.

Got some good digging done today. Tomorrow should be the last day of heavy digging - just when I was getting used to it. Then I have to sort out what sort of gravel or road base to put back in, what sort of weed mat, knock up some framework for concreting in the pavers and then going down to buy the stuff and the rocks (mainly for my head I think) and put it all back together. It will be one task off my list. Next one will probably be the roof on the pergola. Then I came in and took the laundry and loo to pieces, cleaned it all up and put it all back together. Smells nice down there now. Tomorrow will be the bathroom and the culling of out of date medicines etc plus a thorough clean of the bath and vanity.

Yesterday, I went to see my mate Mick and his business partners. Seems I will have some work coming out of there soon. I've told them not to rush. Don't care if I don't work until October. It will involve travel, but not long stays away from home. They also have some single days working with the CEO of an aerospace business and his financial offsider. That could be interesting. One can't teach accountants anything, so how am I going to get around this?

Anyway, my pork cutlet is cooking, my sweet potato is baking, my pumpkin, purple carrot and broccoli are steaming away. Better go sort out my dinner.

PS - have to sort out my donations to charity for the year soon. Any suggestions?? I might spread it over several things this year.

Last edited by Shad; 08-28-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #231  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

AND I LOVE THEM ON A TUESDAY!!!!

BY THE TIME THE BBQ STARTS AT NOON THE SKIES SHOULD BE CLEARER.
HOPEFULLY SOME OF THE SENIORS CAN BE SITTING OUTSIDE.
I'LL SPARE YOU THE DETAILS OF WORK YESTERDAY.
SHE TOLD A MUTUAL FRIEND THAT SHE & I AREN'T 3 RETIRING FOR 3 YEARS.
WHAT?!?!?!? I CALL THAT WISHFUL THINKING. I AM DOING NOTHING TODAY. TV & ME. THEY SHOULD MAKE A SHORT MOVIE ABOUT THAT.
HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY

****CUBAN SANDWHICHES HAVE SLICED ROAST PORK,
SLICED HAM, MELTED SWISS CHEESE AND PICKLE SLICES
ON A CUBAN ROLL.
THEN PRESSED ON A "PLANCHA" AND HEATED.
LIKE A PANINI PRESS WITHOUT THE RIDGES. IT'S FLAT.
DELISH. I THINK ANYONE WOULD LOVE THEM.

ANNIE....ALL THIS COOKING AND DESERTS NOW??
I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO HAVE TO GET A LONGER EXTENSION CORD
SENDING PRAYERS AND HEALING THOUGHTS TO YOUR BROTHER.
HOPE EVERYTHING CONTINUES TO GO WELL AND YOU REMAIN CALM SCREW THE SIL!!

MICHELLE......GLAD YOU ARE ALMOST DONE WITH THE PROJECT OF DECLUTTERING.
ALTHOUGH TOUGH...I AM GLAD YOU HAVE THOSE LETTERS AND MEMORIES
HOPE THE DRAMA STOPS AND THE MOVE WILL BE OK FOR MOM.
SAD HOW FAMILY USES THE GUILT CARD JUST TO MAKE THEMSELVES FEEL BETTER.
GOOD LUCK WITH ALL THAT AND GOOD LUCK TO YOUR FRIEND.
***cafe mocha can make anyone in a good mood!! roflmaoff

WE USE RED ORANGE AND GREEN PEPPERS.
MY GRANDMOTHER USED TO PARBOIL THEM AND PEEL THE "WAXY" SKIN OFF THEM BEFOPRE STUFFING.
THAT IS WHERE THE INDIGESTION COMES FROM.
BUT I HAVEN'T DONE THAT IN MANY YEARS...TOO MUCH WORK!!!

ELLEN....CONGRATULATIONS ON THE 11 LB WEIGHT LOSS!!
GLAD YOU AND DH HAD SOME TIME TOGETHER. YOU DESERVE IT.
HOPE THE MOM & TOTS TIME WAS GOOD TOO. SOUNDED NICE.

LAURA...SENDING YOU GOOD THOUGHTS WITH THE AUDITORS THERE

HAPPY...YOUR DAY SOUNDED SO NICE...EVEN WITH THE HARD WORK.
I COULD BE A BIG HELP WITH A WAGON ATTACHED
THE PICTURTE IS GORGEOUS!! THE BIRD AND THE PLAND ARE BEAUTIFUL. REALLY GREAT SHOT.
YOU & DH ARE KEEPING OUR EYES BUSY OVER HERE.
I TELL JEN WHEN SHE COMNES DOWN...WAIT TILL YOU SEE WHAT HAPPY POSTED!!

CEEJAY...GLAD YOU HAD A GOOD BORTHDAY WEEKEND
HOPE YOU GOT ALL YOUR WISHES TOO

SHAD....JUST READING YOUR POST EXHAUSTED ME.
AND HERE I THOUGHT I DID A LOT OF WORK YESTERDAY
TREAVELING?? IS THAT WITH THE AEROSPACE CEO???
YOU COULD BE THE FIRST FEMALE AUSSIE TO THE MOON!!!
HOPE YOU GET TO STAY HOME FOR A BIT BEFORE THE TRAVELING BEGINS AGAIN THOUGH.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #232  

Height: 5'5"

good morning chicks! super sleepy this morning. will head back later and put together a more thought out post. Luv and Hugs!!
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #233  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Morning, Good Morning...singing like Snow White in the forrest with HAPPY's birds and butterflies floating around....

Brother is off the breathing tube and talking just a bit. Seems to be recovering very well. May get to go home on Saturday. Thank you girls for all your support and prayers.

Last night's dinner was baked swai (pronounced SWHY) fish with lemon and butter, left over twice baked potatos, and greenbeans. Also made cucumbers, tomatos, green pepper chopped up with a little vinegarette (sp). YUM YUM. Had enough fish and greenbeans to bring in for lunch.

ELLEN...I can understand about being sleepy. I wake up during the night, then again with Curtis when he gets up at 3:30, then IF I fall back asleep it is hard for me to wake up at 5:30 to go to work. I usually lay there too long and then have to fly getting ready so I am not late to work. It is torture. Plus not liking my job does not motivate me much to go.

SHADDIE...I think you meant Ceejay happy birthday not me. My birthday is in June and I do not care to celebrate more than once a year...haha. Of course all that work you are doing outside can jumble up your mind especially when you are using your own rocks...lol. Sure wish I were there to help. We would have so much fun chatting and digging.

MELLIE....the cuban sandwiches sound quite yummy. I may have to brew some up here soon. Retiring in 3 years, if only. Unless I hit the lottery, I probably will be working till I am 70+. Of course, I will be hitting the lottery, very soon, for big bucks...so we all can get that commune going up at HAPPY's place.

HAPPY....did you make it to the farmer's market? What did you buy? My sales rep is bringing me a grocery sack full of tomatos today, guess I will be brewing up some more salsa.

CHELLE....the hot flashes I have are very similar to my anxiety attacks which I am on meds for and have not had any in a very long time. The only differences between the two are the flashes don't last as long and I don't have to lay down from exhaustion after one. The anxiety attacks just drain my energy. Funny, last night I did not have sweats as a matter of fact I was freezing all night long and had to snuggle into C to get warm.

LAURA...hope the auditors weren't too brutal on you. Are they here all week or just a couple of days?

CEEG...have a wonderful day after your birthday!!!

Hello to Patty and Java...

Loves and Hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #234  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Quick post for me....I've got an early meeting and have a bunch to get done beforehand.

Didn't get any decluttering done last night...just too tired after work and all the errands. Hopefully I'll get some done tonight. I've got errands to run, but I should be home a bit earlier than yesterday.

===========================
Annie - I'm so glad to hear your brother is recovering well and off the breathing tube! I'll continue to send many prayers and healing wishes. As for retiring...I'll be right there with ya' working 'till 70+. So we'd best win the lottery, girlfriend! That sucks about the anxiety attacks. I used to get them occasionally when I was under a lot of stress (when my parents were both very ill).

Happy - I just don't understand places that have Farmer's Markets during the week. I wonder how people who work are able to get to them.

Ceejay - Glad you had a nice birthday. So very sweet of you to take your friend to a pain mgmt treatment. After having a few of those myself, based on the procedure, there are sometimes when you need someone to drive you...which isn't always easy to find. You're a very good friend.

Shad - The work coming up sounds like it could be promising - what a nice balance of travel but not long stays away from home. I don't envy you having to try and teach accountants anything. Good luck with that. I'm so impressed that you and Annie are able to do heavy digging. Just the thought of it makes my back hurt. If I were to do something like that, I'd have to take A LOT of breaks.

Mel - I hope the BBQ goes well. Good for you for taking a relaxing day for yourself. I'm not almost done with the decluttering...just almost done with one room. After that comes the craft loft, which I should get done this weekend. Let's just say that the second hand stores are going to be getting donations of a lot of craft supplies. After the craft loft comes all the closets. I did not know that it's the waxy skin of the pepper that causes indigestion. Very interesting.

Laura - Are the auditors still there? I hope they don't pester you too much.

Gotta run. Let's all have a terrific Tuesday!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #235  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Don't know why but I had an upset stomach after I got home. It started around 6.30 p.m. I'm wondering if it's not my nerves.
-----------------
Ellen
Congrats on those 11 pounds lost.

Michelle
Do you have the decluttering done.

Annie
It's good news to hear that your brother came through his surgery.

Mel
You deserve a day to be by yourself. Enjoy it.

Laura
Are you still dealing with the auditors?

Happy
What's on the agenda today? I envy your lifestyle of retirment.

I'm back to work this morning. But I'm not pushing myself.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #236  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Ceejay - perhaps you should take a cue from Mel and try meditation. It's really helping me too. I listen to meditation CDs at night while I fall asleep, and I listen to positive uplifting things on my way in to work. The good mood doesn't always last for the whole day but at least my day start off on a positive note. It's really helping my stress level. I started doing this relaxation stuff when my former job was getting way too stressful and it was really affecting me. It didn't take long for me to feel better. Just a suggestion. Oh, and btw, I try and avoid the news as much as possible. I used to get so stressed out about stuff that I can't control. You know the Serenity Prayer, right? "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference." No the decluttering isn't even close to being done, but I'm happy to be seeing progress. After the upstairs is done, then I'll be tackling the closets and then the dreaded basement. It fees really good to be going through all the stuff. I hope you feel better soon. Don't work too hard.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #237  

Morning all.

Shad – I’m tired just thinking of that project of yours, but what an accomplishment that will be when it’s all done. I’m glad you’re not in a hurry to get back to work.

Mel – If it weren’t for the pickles I just know I’d love a Cuban sandwich… I know I’m in a different spot than you, but retiring in 3 years sounds
heavenly. Right now it feels like I could save and save and still not have enough money to retire comfortably.

Ceejay – Glad you had a good birthday and a good weekend. So nice of you to be able to help out your friend. Yeh, some days it’s good to not have to push it at work. Hope your tummy is feeling better by now.

Annie – Glad your brother’s procedure was successful. Wishing him a speedy recovery!! I saw that swai fish in a grocery store flyer and I was wondering what type of fish it was. The auditors are jerks and they are here until tomorrow afternoon. My time with them has been very limited, but enough that I know I want to slap them around a bit. I sure hope I wasn’t such a jerk in my former life as an auditor, haha.

Michelle – I hope your DMIL gets past the guilt trips being played on her and her own uncertainties. This is a big change for her, but I hope she concludes it’s the best option for her. I get you on being too tired to attack projects at home after working all day – you just need some downtime.

Ellen – Congrats on the 11 pound weight loss – that’s super!! Hope you like the mom and tots class w/ dd3. Must be a real break with the other kids back in school now. A co-worker has been going through major headaches changing schools for her daughter. She had her in a parochial school for a couple years just so she could get the after-school program, and then she tried to arrange public school and after school care with a family member, but that got nixed when the caregiver decided to get greedy. So she’d opted to keep her in the parochial school, but then that school raised the tuition significantly. Back to the public school plan. And then she just learned her daughter made it to the top of the waitlist for a magnet school and has to go through another registration process. And the past couple weeks have been another headache for her because once she decided to not go back to the parochial school, she had a two week gap in her childcare to fill since public schools don’t start til after Labor Day. You’re smart and fortunate to be able to set your work schedule mostly outside of school days. I’m sure that the lack of weekend time with your dh and kids is a big sacrifice for you and the family though.

Happy – Love all the photos. You’re both getting to be really good at capturing the camera-shy creatures you have visiting. Can’t wait to see a pic of the new fire pit. Did you get to try it out yet??

==
After work we went for a minor grocery shop and picked up a new co2 cartridge for the sodastream. I'd put a date on a piece of tape and stuck it on the tank when we bought the last one and I think it said 5/31, so $11 for almost 3 months. Sure is a lot less money than buying seltzer and soda and having all those cans to recycle. I find I haven't been drinking as much seltzer as in the past, but bf drinks quite a bit of it. We haven't gone off soda completely, but drink much, much less than we used to. Right now we haven't had any soda in the house for probably close to a month. I might check out the Labor Day sales and pick up some this weekend. Mostly I just drink water.

Nothing much else to report. We watched a couple more episodes from Season 6 of Doc Martin. The dvd is due back tonight, so we'll watch the rest of it tonight.

Guess that means that exercise class is off the schedule tonight - shame on me. I have three classes to finish, but I have til 9/2. Wed. & Sat. for sure. Probably Thursday, but perhaps Sunday...we'll see.

Okay, back to work before more interruptions come. Have a great day/night everyone! Toodles.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #238  
Choose your hard

DH lit the firepit last night under an almost full moon.

Now this one is kinda freaky. Makes me wonder what the heck he was channeling in the fire Looks like a pregnant girl with an 1960's flip type hairdo.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #239  
Choose your hard

Bambi's been coming to the yard visiting. We think the poor baby lost it's Momma. Barely able to get along on it's own. I told it that if it comes here it has corn, water and safety.

A word about retirement since a few of you have brought it up. I know that many of you feel like you will have to work until your 70's BUT the best advice I can give you is not to assume that you CAN work as long as you want to. Especially if you are in the corporate world where they routine ferret out the older, more expensive workers (they say) in favor of the younger ones. Particularly as they cut benefits to save money. So cut back your spending where ever possible and shore up your savings as much as you can. Even if you put 5 dollars and your spare change in a jar at the end of a week. It's alot easier to deal with the unexpected if you have some sort of back up. Not that any one of you are frivolous spenders anyway. And if you can put money into a company program towards future health care expenses, do so. I'm not sure what's going to happen to us - we have one political candidate who advocates a voucher system for medical expenses - and you KNOW that won't be enough to cover near the cost and another candidate who seems to be more concerned about taking care of the tons of "visitors" to this country, rather than the middle class citizens. There are both good and bad things to this early retirement, but like anything, we are learning to make a go of things and hoping for no catastrophic event in our lives. But I can't advocate enough the need to make sure you can take care of yourselves first and foremost.

Laura - thank you for the compliment but I have to admit this Canon Powershot camera really helps take good pictures Where are you taking your exercise classes again ? Through the park district programs? Are you doing book club any more? How did the auditors go? (out the door as you wished )

Michelle - I agree on the meditation and not watching the news anymore. I selectively look at stuff on the internet and stopped reading the news down south years ago. Here we get a local paper once a week and it's all good news except for the police page and I can easily ignore it If you are donating so many crafts does this mean you realize you won't ever get to alot of projects? And I agree with you on the Farmers Markets - they are all here during the day but then again, most people here are retired or recreational visitors so that's different. In Memphis they had a few of them on the weekends but the thing that always got to me was the gym offerings - classes. Most of them except for the super buff were offered during the day. If you had to commute from downtown like Laura, it was almost impossible to catch the 5:30 classes. Twice I decided against the gym just because of their class schedules.

Annie - yum on the fish dinner. That's a great idea on the cucumber tomato salad. I will have to do that - lots of those ingredients available to me. I bought at the farmer's market (they have more stuff now that the stuff is in season) kale, fresh celery, scallions, fingerling potatoes (something new for me to try), fresh carrots, basil (mine is petered out) and a loaf of Poppyseed almond bread from the Mennonite lady. I also got 2 packages of beef stew meat from the organic farm and a jar of Peach Walnut jam that sounded sooo good. I had picked up some canning jars intending to make salsa but when I read the recipe and how much work it is to make salsa, I decided to cop out and cook up the tomatoes with onions and garlic and seasonings and freeze them for use in chili, sauce or tomato based dishes. Been thinking of frying up a fried green tomato. Have you ever tried that? Glad your brother is doing well. Don't take but a minute to offer up some kind words for someone's health. And don't tell DH but I like your fire pit better

Shad - sure does sound like alot of work in the yard but I'm sure it will be well worth it. Did you finish the wall in the front you started last season?

Ceejay - guess you'll be getting some of Hurricane Isaac's wetness in the next few days. Hope you're feeling better.

Ellen - did you wake up yet? By now it's too late for coffee.

Mel - how did the BBQ go? Did you get some sunshine? Anyone bring you a plate of goodies??? Here's a picture I just took - little chickadee hopped in the turkey water trough and decided to cool off on a hot day.

We got invited to a picnic, not sure if we are going to go yet. But I need to get off the computer. See yah later.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #240  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Finally finished the big dig. Still got a little bit of trimming, and scraping to go. Now I need to go down to the landscape place and get some road base, weed mat stuff and some timber to create concrete framework for the pavers. It will be finished in due time. Now having had breakfast and a shower it's time to get on with the rest of todays list. Bathroom, floors, garden centre etc.

Mel - it would be a very short movie. You doing nothing The cuban sandwich sounds great. Tell Richie I want one when I come over. Digging is over. Now it is time to rebuild. I await the end of the project - although there are two more projects I want to get done this year.

Annie - good to hear that your brother is on the mend. Dinner sounds nice. I like it when there is enough left over for lunches etc. Never heard of swai fish. Where does it come from. Come on over, we can sit on the pergola rafters and put on the roof and giggle. Sure thing we would need the margaritas at the end. Yes I meant Ceejay and not you. Slip of the typewriter here.

Michelle - some days it is a much as I can do to load the dishwasher after a work day. I don't envy you the declutter, but it does look good with everything in its place and no piles of junk mail on the coffee table.
My serenity prayer is somewhat different from yours. It goes something like this:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know where to bury the bodies of those that really pissed me off so much I had to kill them.

Ceejay - When the gut decides to play up, get on the bike and ride it out. Good for the body and gives you more aches to think about than the one you already had. Nothing seems so bad after that.

Laura - glad you are enjoying Doc Martin. What a man!!! Hope the auditors are gone now and you can get back into a normal routine.

Happy - love the firepit feature. Interesting flames you have. The birdies certainly do have it easy at your place. Mind you they do at my place as well. I do not feed them, but they find my green garden easy to nest in and there is plenty of spray free insects to eat around the place.
Retirement was a discussion the accountant and I had the other day. I have saved well, don't owe any one any thing and figure that if I can save as I did over the last couple of years, I may be able to retire in two or 3 years. It is not a given and thanks to the GFC and the corporate and share holder greed, I doubt that my superannuation and my savings will keep me going for more than 6 or 7 years unless things take an upturn for the better soon. It's not a case of wanting to work, it's a case of having to work. If it kills me, then the boys will have a windfall. If not, then I will have to eke it out very carefully until my passport runs out for my time on earth.

Anyway, this is not getting my bathroom cleaned. And there is a lot to clean in there. I also should get into the depths of the vanity and wall cabinet and check for any thing in there that is past its use by date. Andre Rieu is playing lovely music on the TV so I can clean to the Blue Danube or Schwissingfer or the Lagunawaltz. Music to clean by. How unromantic

Last edited by Shad; 08-28-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote