Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Cool CANADIAN Fall/Winter Thread ...

HI FOLKS ~ like I promised, I am starting a new fall/winter thread for all of us Canucks. I know we spend a lot more time indoors when the cold weather comes, so we usually get more people dropping by here too.

Sooo, I hope you all had a good summer inspite of the weather. I know we did. I grew green beans and my own hanging cherry tomatoes (Tumbling Toms), and they did really well. My perennial flowers and bushes did well; and we got some nice Rhubarb from our own patch too. I even got a few berries off my bushes this year; next year should be even better.

We only had to put our air conditioner on once; we braved out a couple of other hot days, but mostly we were OK. Our house has brick on the outside and the walls are about 10-12" thick, so it stays at least 10 degrees cooler in here than outside. We still had to use our fans a bit but that wasn't too bad at all.

The leaves are changing to a lovely yellow, orange, gold, and wine red right now; and some are even falling already. The temps are cool and crisp, but it is nice for walking if it isn't too damp. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year in Canada; we are blessed with beautiful fall colors here in Ontario.

I hope you all have a wonderful fall & winter. Please do drop by now & then and let us know how things are going for you all, in your part of this big & wide & beautiful country of ours ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

I dream of moving to Canada! It sounds so lovely there! How crazy to me that you only had to turn on your a/c once! That'd be awesome.
Ash2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #3  
Rosebud

HI ASH ~ yes, this is a very beautiful country; and we know that it is very in Texas, esp this year. It was hot everywhere, including here. We never used to get into the 90's here, but we have over the last few years, although this year, there wasn't as many. It is one blessing about living in the far north ...
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #4  
Rosebud

Well, I imagine somebody will join me on this thread eventually ... In the meanwhile, I will blog away ...

So, the fall colors are really in full bloom right now; it looks so lovely out there. We are enjoying a mix of warm and cool temps; and days too. The buggies have almost disappeared now (the earwigs, I mean). I won't miss them at all, I'm telling you; and I hope they don't show up for another 7 years.

I am enjoying my walks a bit better with this weather too; I find the cooler temps more invigorating. The chilly, damp days are a bit hard on my muscles, so I do more indoors on those days.

I have been getting lots done around the house -- washing bed linens and washed my bedroom carpet this AM too. The idea is to get everything done before the really cold weather gets here. My beans have been finished for some time, so I pulled the plants out, but I am still getting some cherry tomatoes, albeit -- they are a bit slower now.

DH still has his daily Alzheimer's issues, but with lots of prayers and support from above, I have been able to not eat my feellings. I am seeing a real victory there and am so pleased. I have been doing a lot of mending lately and have a lot more to do yet -- taking in all my clothes (esp my dresses and pants). It's a great way to while away a wet, cold afternoon anyways.

I am loving the beautiful oak rocking chair DH bought me for my birthday two years ago. I can sit and mend away, while watching all the goings on outdoors too. I had a chickadee visit me the other day -- it was kinda playing with me as I was sitting on our front deck. I was concerned that it may get hurt as it kept flying past me right near my head. It was fun to watch though -- she was getting some down from our pine tree for her winter's nest.

Well, I hope that you all are enjoying the cooler weather all across the country; and this lovely new month of October as well.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-04-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #5  
Rosebud

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY and weekend to all our Canadian friends out there ...

Lots of folks are outdoors hunting this weekend, while others gathered at family and friend's places to celebrate this day & weekend. I made our turkey dinner yesterday; and an pumpkin pie for DH/custard for me today... yum!
We had leftovers today; was just as nice!

This week went very well for my eating; got some walking and exercise in. I did my "Thanksgiving weigh-in" and am down another 4 lbs. It might have been more but it has only been 6 weeks since I weighed last and I'm a slow-poke anyways ...

My next mini-goal is for Christmas Day which gives me more than 10 weeks, then it will be Valentine's Day, and then EAster, and so on. My goal is for a minimum of 3 lbs up to 7 lbs -- so we'll see how it goes. Of course, I am trying for lots of inches, and maybe 1 or 2 sizes by next spring too.

We are "thanking GOD" on this day for all the many blessings and benefits he has sent our way this year!!!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Hey there! I just this minute found this thread! Hope you're still around.

I'm living in Vancouver, moved up here when I got married at the end of last year (from Oklahoma!).

It's become totally winter here which means rain rain rain and more rain, which is making it hard on my exercise habits for sure. /: It's pretty though, at least!
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #7  
Rosebud

MOTTAINAI ~ wowie, what a beautiful young lady you are ... I can't see where you need to lose any more weight though! Congrats on your marriage too; what a gorgeous avatar pic!!!

Winter has finally settled in here for us as well: it snowed yesterday and it stayed for the first time. On November 1st -- so that's not too bad really.

BTW, I am in Northern Ontario; I am a Southern Ontario transplant. My DAD says that since I have lived here much longer than I did in the south, that I am really a true northerner now ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-02-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Thanks so much, Justwant2Bhealthy, for the compliment!! Actually that photo was taken nearly a year ago, and I've lost weight even since then! Still keeping on though.

Snow! How nice. We don't really get snow here, just tons of rain!! Makes spontaneous exercise and outdoor activities quite difficult, unfortunately.

I've never been to Ontario. I just moved up here right after I got married at the very very end of last year, from Oklahoma in the states, where I lived most of my life until now. I really don't know if I want to stay here forever....Vancouver is great, but it's SO expensive and kind of becoming a Chinese colony with all the immigrants, lol. But we'll see! My husband is Japanese actually, and he's been living in Vancouver for about 3-4 years now, trying to get permanent residency in Canada, and he doesn't want to give up now and move, lol.

I'm curious about other parts of Canada. How is the seafood you can get where you are? That's one of my requirements for a place to live, haha. And it sounds like you've got pretty harsh winters? Are you in a more rural place or a city?

Last edited by mottainai; 11-04-2012 at 12:13 PM.
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #9  
Rosebud

I am in a small town in Northern Ontario. I don't know if our winters are so much harsh or just long, but we do get lots of snow. Southern Ontario seems to have their share of storms too, so it's hard to compare. Our temps are a bit colder, but it is a dryer cold and more comfortable in my opinion.

As for fish, it's mostly fresh water fish like trout, pickerel, perch, pike, and ling (a kind of cod) here that I've seen so far. Southern Ontario lakes have a few more varieties I think, esp the great lakes.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-06-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

*waves!* Hi other Canadians! I'm just outside of Ottawa
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/223/170

Glad to find some Canadians on here!!! I'm from Newfoundland....joined to find a support for the journey.....*sigh*....maybe this time I'll manage to get it right!!! Happy New Year to each of you
Projectslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 292/292/165

Height: 5' 7"

Another Canuck on the boards. I'm from Calgary, just joined Jan 1st,2013. Following Weight Watchers program (Points Plus, but the older program where fruit is not "free"...that would definately be a problem for me...I love fruit). Decided to try to do it on my own rather than attend WW meetings. With support from this board, I'm pretty sure I'll be successful!!
Elaine51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #13  
Rosebud

to all you other CANADIANS that have dropped by lately. I was away having surgery and am now on the road to recovery and staying with my family down near Tobermory way (in Southern Ontario).

We are on a lovely lake here and it is a beautiful place to recupe from anything, including the flu we had the last few weeks. Am finally starting to feel better now though ...

We don`t have as much ***snow*** here as we do at home, but we have been getting a little sprinkle each day; a lot of it has been just blowing around. Weve had for a bit each day which was really nice too. The temps have dropped a bit but it`s not too bad here.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all too -- I really hope that 2013 turns out to be the year you succeed with your good eating and WL goals, which in turn leads to life-long good health for you all too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-04-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 226.4/177.6/160

Height: 5'1"

Can I join? New to 3FC and new to trying to take off the lbs! I'm starting ViSalus this weekend and hoping it works well for me! I'm an ex-smoker, I've had three kids (one passed away after birth) and suffer from depression and anxiety.
I am in NB, Canada and am freezing my butt off! I can't really go for walks or anything as it's so cold and I would have to take the kids, plus its soooo slippery!
lynnkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #15  
Rosebud

LYNN ~ by all means, you can join in here; always love to have more Canucks drop by and let us know what's going on in their part of this big, beautiful country of ours. I understand that it can get quite cold out in your region during the winter and you can get some really nasty storms too.

We've had more snow here this year and colder temps seem to be here and up north (where we usually live). The weather has been kind of chaotic this winter; going up and down like a yo-yo. From really cold then up to above freezing and everything melting.

It actually here last week; had a doozy of a storm and my sister's basement flooded on them. Thank goodness a friend brought in some of his workers and dried it up for them that same day. What a blessing. Now they need a sub-pump system installed to prevent that from happening again.

Good thing the temps have gone back down, but we've had more ****** and too. It was lovely today and we went to Owen Sound for the prep for my chemo treatments. That will keep us busy until spring but the roads were totally clear and we had a great day!

Hope all our other CANADIAN friends out there are keeping warm and enjoying all the best that our four seasons have to offer us here. We may even try a few walks outdoors on the days just to see how I do. Best wishes for all of you too; hope you all have a successful month of February ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-04-2013 at 10:00 PM.