Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #16  

Good morning girls. It is going to be really hot today along with continuing high humidity. Hopefully, Jack can work inside today and tomorrowthen have the weekend off. We have commissary shopping this weekend and have to take Fortune to vets for his heartworm shot. They cost me about $100 a year, but so much easier than remembering to give him the heartworm chews so it is worth the cost I guess.

Jack won the grocery prize last night. I asked him to get me some sugar free ice cream and a head of lettuce and a nice tomato. We were having burgers for dinner last night and I wanted lett and tom. He got the most delicious big fat tomato, (though one tomato cost $1.19) and then called me about the ice cream. I decided on Kroger brand cherry cordial, which was sf and low fat too. I thought it might be gross so wanted a cheaper ice cream. Wow, it was yummy. It had bits of dark chocolate in cherry flavored ice cream and then marschino cherry halves it in too. The splenda rather than sugar didn't effect the taste and it was delicious.

I am down another 3 lbs for this week, but my weigh in is on Monday so we shall see the total then. I have an Iphone ap called fitness pal and I can record my weekly weight in it and it shows my progress. I am just doing what I can and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I am reading a good book by Dick Francis. It is one I hadn't read before and I thought I had read all his books. I am finding out I have missed some here and there. I am enjoying my Kindle except I do like the backlight on my Iphone, which Kindle doesn't have so I use a clip on reading light, which works ok. I am also working on his other sock, but the soreness in my hand and in my shoulder make me put the work down.

Jean: I don't worry much about online banking and paying my bills, but I always am concerned about online purchases. I do always make sure they have the little security info before I order from a place I never have before. We have only had one issue and that was someone trying to use our credit card at a Target in California. The bank wouldn't accept it and called us to verify and when they were told we didn't authorize it and weren't in CA, they cut off the card and sent us new ones. I imagine someone got ahold of our credit card number, which we rarely use, then printed it on a fake visa card. The fact is, unless you always carry cash, you are vulnerable anywhere. We had a big thing a year or so ago with a deli about 2 miles from here. Someone had hacked into their situation and stole the credit card numbers of customers when they paid their check. It wasn't employees, it was remote and they had a weakness in their system I guess.

Well girls, lots to do. Have a great Thursday. My sandals will be here today so I hope they fit. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #17  

Good Morning, Flowers! It was actually felt "cool" this morning when I went out on the deck to feed the critters. It's supposed to be in the 90s again today. Where, oh where is the "normal" weather God?

I've got to go to the hospital later and pay a bill for the gift shop. I'd wait until next week when I pick up the money but this is a company that always sends late notices after I've written their check. The buyer isn't terribly prompt at getting the bills to me which doesn't help either.

"Gma" -- on losing another 3#s! You are doing great! The ice cream does sound delicious! I'm not a big fan but like something different than chocolate or vanilla. We don't have an ice cream shop any more and I miss being able to buy an individual flavor.

I need to do some dusting and vacuuming -- wish I could wiggle my nose and it would be done. Enjoy the rest of your day and try to keep cool!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #18  

Good morning, ladies! Another hot day - it was 107 yesterday.

My back is still giving me pain from the fall so I made an appointment with my chiropractor. If I go back to the doctor, he'll just give me more muscle relaxors and pain medications and they don't help anymore. It's been 6 weeks so time to try something else.

I really enjoyed my beading class. Our teacher is a retired math professor. She quilts, knits, crochets, weaves, beads and designs patterns which are sold all over the country - and she teaches all of them all over the US but lives locally. She is so sweet and giving. We asked her to teach a crazy quilting class so they are working at getting that on the schedule. Bee was fun as always.

Faye, I like Kroger's SF ice cream, too. Did I tell you about BookBub? If you go to www.bookbub.com and enter your email address (no other info is asked for), they send a daily email with free books for the Kindle. I've gotten many good ones that way.

Jean, I do bank online, have for years and have never had a problem. When you think about how many hands your checks go through, there is a lot of room for fraud there too since your checking account number, name and address is printed on every one. The local police tell women not to carry a purse but a wallet in their pocket. They say if you have to carry a purse, an across the body messenger bag is safest. You should also never carry a check book around. If you need a check to make a purchase, put it in your wallet and leave the rest at home. I think we'll be all paying bills on line by 2020.

Maggie, dolls sound like fun! When I picked up some fiber fill at Joann's recently to stuff a tuffet I found they now have a more dense one for dolls. The tuffet needed to be stuffed really tight so I used that one and it came out better. I love dollhouses.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Hot Thursday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I had to jump through some hoops today to get my meds sent automatically. A different company won the contract to do our meds so we had to try our best to get all things transferred so they can be delivered here automatically without our having to call each 3 months for refills. Makes it so much easier that way. The gal I talked with was a real nice lady and hopefully we got the job done. When they run out, then I will know it is time once again to visit my doctor. For years I have only had to go to the doc once a year and that is to get my prescriptions written for a year’s worth of meds that keep me going for another year. As I advance in years that may change and I may have to go see her more often but so far so good.

Not much happening here in the ♥-Land for it is just too hot to go outside. It is 98º’s now at noon o’clock and said to climb to 105ºs by 5 pm this day. Will is at the museum this day and has gone by the library first to see what used books he may buy. He has gotten me some great finds down there plus many books for himself also. Folks turn in books for the library to sell and get a little money in the transaction. We have also donated books to them that we no longer have a use for. One of my favorites that he found for me is a recipe collection using Real Lemon juice from concentrate. It is a 6 inch by 8 ½ inch book with 108 pages of all categories of recipes. Little hard back spiral book. I am looking at a Pudding Cake recipe that I think I will make soon. I’ll substitute Splenda® for the sugar and lighten it as much as I can. I’ll figure the points+ before making it though. Later after I have had some lunch, I am going to make some sf Jello with some fruit in it. Sounds good on a hot day such as this with a light dinner, don’t you think.

I just got a good laugh at Cecil and Beanie playing. Cecil is in my chair in the front room hanging over the arm with his front legs dangling. Beanie jumps up and Cecil grabs his head between his paws which thankfully are clawless. They did that for about 5 times. Those two are certainly best friends.

SUSAN OUCH ~ I am sorry to hear your back is giving you fits. Hopefully the choir practice will help you out. Sometimes just a re-adjustment does the trick. Sounds like you have a wonderful beading instructor that is so widely known for her experteze. Learning from her you can't go wrong in your methods. However, I can imagine you are a great one to teach your craft to others also. I have that dense fiber fill on my supplies for doll making "to buy" list.

DONNA FAYE I just know that you will have more pounds gone come your "official" weigh day. You are such a good looser. YUM that ice cream sounds yummy. When I eat ice cream I want a really good tasting one and the ones they sweeten with Splenda® are really good.

JEAN Wouldn't it be grand if we could wiggle our noses and have things accomplished. AH but we must dust as needed for it accumulates fast. We have places around here that serves ice cream, such as Freddies who has the best frozen custard that costs a ton of points+ and is so good. I would love to have a Baskin Robbins move in here. They do have some good on program offerings.

Time has come for me to go get some lunch in me and make some jello.

I hope all is well with you Magnolias ~ type at y’all later ~

Last edited by Maggie; 07-19-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #20  

Good morning everyone. Man it is going to be hot and very sticky today. We have an advisory and a heat warning through the weekend at least. I hate going shopping when it is so hot as you end up sweating all the time. The commissary is ultra cold and you step out in that steaminess and you break out in a sweat almost immediately. Guess it just goes with the territory of living in the south.

It is too hot to go upstairs and clean so I am going to be lazy today. It is even warm down here. Not warm exactly, comfortable as long as you don't move around in other parts of the house. Guess I will just work on Jack's sock and I am cleaning out the fridge freezer, the chest freezer and fridge today. I put three cans of soda in the freezer to chill because I ran out. I always set my timer for 30 minutes but forgot and one of them blew up in the freezer. You cannot imagine the sticky, brown, icky mess. I have it cleaned up now and threw a bunch of left over vegs and fruits and potato products that had small amounts in them and had freezer burn. I will buy new this weekend.

Anyone have a good lowfat artichoke dip??? I am going to look for frozen artichokes this weekend and would like to make a dip for snacks with crackers or pita chips or something. It can be a combo of artichoke and spinach.

I think we are going to have sloppy joes tonight. I was going to fix a turkey roast, but it is too hot to turn the oven on and would usually get takeout, but am trying to keep that and eating out to a minimum. Jack likes tots so I will fix him some tots and I will probably just have ff chips with my sandwich and some sliced tomatoes.

As of Sunday we only have 9 weeks. I can't believe it is actually feeling like it is close now. It would be a real pip if I could get a good quantity of lbs off before we go. I am not being unrealistic, but something in the 20 lb range would be nice. I am already down 4 now so I should be able to accomplish it if I stick to the diet.

My shoes came yesterday and are really cute and will work fine for walking around the ship. I don't want to use them for excursion walking as they aren't high quality, but around the ship is fine. I can't blow up with swelling though or none of my thong sandals will fit. I haven't had any swelling issues to speak of this summer. I have a little puffiness first thing in the morning in my feet sometimes, but as soon as I am up and moving it goes completely away. I ordered my necklaces for my dresses for the trip and for the green sweater. I found this great place online that sells beading supplies and they also sell individual or in quantity jewelry. I found 5 necklaces to match everything for a total of $30 including shipping. I think they will do great to wear in the evening to dinner.

Maggie: What prescription mail service do you have now? I like Express Scripts, which is what Tricare uses. I get 90 days of each prescription of my 3 prescriptions free and free shipping. I have to get my hormones pills in town at the drugstore and they cost $5 a month. Jack gets all his free with Tricare except his Niaspan and that costs us $9 for 90 days. He has an in town couple of prescriptions too that are monthly. They are supposed to be putting an Express Scripts here in Memphis so we may eventually be able to get them right here in town, I don't know. Glad you were able to get it all cleared up. We have autoship too, but my new doctor is only giving me 6 months at a time. I guess she thinks I won't come to see her if she gives me a whole year. I go when they tell me to come in. Neither of them would have be schedule appts if they weren't necessary to keep an eye on me. I have one next Wednesday with my gyn to check on me. This second round has been a whole lot better than the first round for sure. Since I know you cook a lot with Splenda do you tend to use the measurements exactly as sugar and does it make it sweet enough or how do you gauge how much to use so it isn't bitter? I belong to the Splenda website, but a lot of their recipes use a lot of fat to substitute and I don't want that. One nice thing, the dining room on the ship offers lowfat and sugar free desserts. They also offer vegetarian dishes and healthier dishes along with the regular menu so i should be ok for the most part. It is vacation so I am going to allow myself a few treats but not go overboard.

Susan: I hope you can get your back straightened out. I know back problems can be so debilitating. Sounds like your bead teacher does a bit of everything. Oh and big thanks to the bub website. I signed up right away yesterday and loaded a couple more books. I want plenty to read by the pool!

Jean: I am not a huge ice cream eater either, but it is a nice way to get my milk in for the day since I hate milk. This cherry cordial is really very good and I can't tell the difference except it isn't as rich and it melts really fast so you are better off eating it in a bowl then putting it in a cone. Our hoa is horrible about fee statements. They send them out too late, and you end up paying late unless you just send it in without the fee thingy. Drives you nuts.

Well gals, I am off to make myself some breakfast. Have a lovely weekend. Stay cool. Faye
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #21  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is going to be another 90+ day here. The weatherman, on tv, said another week of 90+ degree days and no rain. The farmers are talking about combining the corn stalks but I don't know what they will do with them. Bob is off moving his tractors to an end-of-the-ride show on a local farm. He isn't going on the ride because the starting point is too far away. I think we are getting closer to owning a trailer to haul tractors. Not sure what is on my agenda today. I should iron but it is too hot!

Susan, I hope you get some relief for your back pain. I know how annoying that can be. What is a crazy quilt class? That sounds interesting. I've often thought about all the people who handle checks and, so far, thankful mine have been in honest hands.

Maggie, I wouldn't trust one of our mailmen to get our meds here at all, let alone on time. We are always getting someone else's mail; sometimes junk mail and sometimes important items. Bob's doctor wants to see him every 3 months, but mine sees me every 6. Ernie has a neighbor cat who comes to visit on a regular basis. They get nose-to-nose through the screen. I'm surprised since our other cats didn't like sharing their territory.

"Gma," I froze a can of pop one time and have never put pop in the freezer since. Bob will every once in awhile and I tell him he is cleaning up the mess if he forgets. Sorry, but I can't help you with the dip recipe. Did you order more jewelry? You will have such fun wearing your new clothes and jewelry! OK, I'm at a loss as to what hoa stands for?

I need to do some picking up and sort through some magazines. Hope you all have a fantastic Friday and enjoy
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Hot Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am just wondering when this will all end. The high temperatures are what I am thinking of. They say we will top out at 108ºs this day which will in reality read on our thermometer 110ºs or above. The 108ºs is their estimate and it seems we are always a bit higher than their number. I am so thankful we got those water bladder things around our little trees to keep them as safe in this heat as we can. These high temps are just brutal. Our beautiful big lawn is fried for there is a water conservation going on during the day and then in the evening when everyone turns on their sprinklers there isn’t any water pressure.

I had a roast in the crock pot cooking on low all night and it sure smelled good even back in the bedroom. I put a package of onion soup mix on it and then dumped a bag of chopped bell peppers and onions on top of that and let it cook while we slept. I can use the meat now for shredded beef dishes. I sure like having baggies of chopped veggies in my freezer for they come in handy for so many dishes. I chop up green, red, & yellow bell peppers and a couple onions and freeze them in small enough single use baggies. I used my last bag of them and will have to get some more chopped up for future use. I use them in baked & chili beans and in scrambled egg beaters and such. I even sauté some and put them in mac and cheese. So you see it pays me to have them chopped and ready to use. I am going to dry some bell pepper rings also after I get all these apples dried. My peeler should be here any day now and I can get to peeling those apples. I have plenty of lemon juice to soak them in so they don’t turn brown. We can put that dehydrator down stairs so we don’t have to listen to it while it is working. It isn’t real loud but does make a little bit of noise ~ just the fan whirring sound. Will just said he will go to the market after while and get me some bell peppers. What a guy. If anyone has them for sale at the farmers market come Saturday I can get some more if the price is reasonable and not more than the market prices.

I plan on finishing up my current building I am making this day and then figuring out what I will make next. But I don’t think I will start any glass work till I get the peppers and onions chopped, bagged and in the freezer.

DONNA FAYE There is a Cheese, Spinach & Artichoke Dip recipe in the WW Comfrot Classics cook book that is 2 points+ for 1/4 cup dip. If you don't have that book and want the recipe I can type it out for you. I have never made it so I don't have a clue how it tastes but the recipe sounds good. We use CVS- Caremart for our perscription drugs for it is the one that our Blue Cross insurance has now for our use. It is the company that won the bid this go-round anyway. Stick good and tight to your program and I imagine you can lose that 20 pounds before vacation. You go girl ~ I am rootin' for you.

JEAN I would love to have your weather for ours is said to be where it is now for the rest of this week. We are slowly baking with no rain in sight. My doc asked me if I wanted to come in every 6 months and I said I prefer a year and she smiled and said she just knew I would say that, and let me have my way when I said if I needed to see her in between I wouldn't hesitate to come back. I will really go see her if I need to.

I bet you ladies guessed we are going to have shredded beef burritos for dinner.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 79ºs and said to get up to 104ºs this day. Just MOS. Saturday. If I had a backyard pool I think I would be living in it. I would probably have a couple of dogs in it with me. This is a good day to BBQ some burgers. Cecil just came in to tell me “howdy.” After he eats a bit he will then want to go to the bedroom and take a nice snooze.

Last night when it was time for Cecil to come in for the night I went to the back door and called him. Here he came and brought me a surprise ~ a little pale yellow kitten was following him right through the door. Cecil lay down in the kitchen floor and the little kitten snuggled up next to him. I called to Will to “come look at this” and we decided that kitten belonged to someone for it was not one of the wild ones that were born under our storage building. It belongs to someone for it is so friendly and not even afraid of our dogs. Will put some food and water out on the patio for it and the little thing was sure hungry. We didn’t let it come back in the house and hoped it would go home. AH, but it hasn’t left yet for it is still in our yard as I type this morning. We are thinking it belongs to the folks on this street that have gone to the lake for a week or so. The police have already been to their house for their dogs in the backyard were raising a ruckus and a neighbor must have called them. I don’t know if they have anyone feeding their animals while they are gone or not. Probably not, from the sound of the dogs and the kitten coming over here. We will tell them that next time they go away to let us know and we will see to it their animals are fed. That is a real cute little kitten but we don’t need another one for sure. We are not sure who it belongs to and didn’t want to take it over to that house where we think it might belong to feed it ~ feeding it here induced it to hang around.

Will bought me a book for a buck from the used counter at the library that is so neat. It is titled Uncommon Cures For Everyday Aliments and is packed full of great ideas. It appears in new condition and never even been opened. It is from the editors of the Bottom Line/Health folks. He had also brought me bell peppers: 2 yellow, 2 orange. 2 red, and 4 green ones. I now have them cut up in large ¾ inch chunks in 6 pint bags in the freezer. Next time I need them I will be glad that I replaced my supply. Most of the times when I am just cooking for one meal without having any leftovers I just use half a bag. It is sure nice to have these two upright fridge sized freezers for I don’t easily lose things in them like I always did in that chest type we used to have. I wouldn’t mind having a small chest size for just meat only though. But since we have two upright ones we don’t need a chest one also. I am thinking of rearranging my freezers since I have like items in both right now ~ I want to have all of one kind of food in the same freezer ~ like vegetables, etc. We got the second one to hold a half of beef and still haven’t gotten that meat but have gotten other meat that was on sale. We do still plan on getting that half beef and half a pig and are shopping around for the best price we can get. It may be down in Texas but some folks do make dry ice and we can get it home to freeze it if it is not already frozen.

I am just waking up to the world and don't have my day planned just yet. Just enjoying my first cup of coffee.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #24  

Afternoon girls. Had a busy morning this morning and just couldn't get in here. It is so miserable outside and we have been out in it most of the morning.

Took Fortune to the vet and talked to them about getting Fortune a "thundershirt" for his anxiety problem when we leave him. She said a lot of their patients who have them swear by them. I told her that since my dd's dog passed away, it might be uncomfortable for them to have Fortune at their house reminding them. She told me that if we kenneled him at the clinic they would put him in the treatment room instead of back in the kennel, which is what he is used to for medical and grooming and that the vet is living on the grounds now and goes through at night and would check on him and they would let him be out and about with them, which is great. She said he could have his own food, meds and such too (petsmart won't let you bring their food, they feed them their own food and Fortune won't eat it) So we have another option. I think they will keep Fortune for us for the cruise, but I do understand if it is too painful for them to keep him. I do believe I will get him the thundershirt though and if he goes to their house have her put it on him while they are at work since he will be alone in the house with the cat who messes with him sometimes and take it off when there are people in the house with him.

We then went and had a bite of breakfast. I had half a waffle with sf syrup and a cup of fresh fruit, which was crappy, but I ate the fruit anyway. The waffle was good though! We then tottered out to Walmart, I got my refund on the underwear and we did the shopping out there we wanted to and hauled it home. We had a bite of lunch and Jack is sacked out in the recliner fast asleep. I finished the laundry, am going to get up and put away the dishes out of the dw then reload it and sit and read or knit for the rest of the afternoon. It is too hot to do anything else.

Jean: Sorry, hoa mean Home Owners Association who is the group we pay our maintenance fees to. They are a pitiful bunch as is the management company. We had a murder 1 and 1/4 from here last night. Some woman's ex husband snatched her from the convenience store, took her to his house and shot her. When I ordered the stuff from the Chinese place it was a couple bracelets but mostly earrings. I ordered the necklaces from this other place in Oregon to wear with the dresses for dinner and the shows.

Maggie: Thanks for the info on the artichoke dip. I googled and found a perfect one that uses ff cream cheese and ff yogurt. Aww the poor little kitten. People just don't take proper care of their animals. They are an expensive commodity and if you aren't willing to spend the money or can't then don't have pets is my way of thinking. Fortune is all good for another 6 months now with his heartworm stuff. I have found some great books for my Kindle with the website Susan gave me the other day. I will certainly have plenty to read on vacation. Hope Jack is planning on doing the driving!

Well I need to finish chores and type up my grocery shopping list for tomorrow. I am going to get a jicama and I know Maggie you and Susan eat them so how do you like to eat them best??? They said you can use them as dip sticks or just alone or you can add them in things or cook them too. Have a great weekend all. Faye
Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #25  

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been an overcast day, 85 degrees, and lower humidity. Boy, what a difference that makes! We decided to go up to the cabin since Jason and family were there. We got about 8 raindrops while there, but nothing here at home. The contractor worked on the deck rails so just the steps and side boards to close off underneath are left. He left all of his tools in the garage so think he plans to come back tomorrow.

Maggie -- I hope your trees will survive the heat. How nice of Cecil to invite his friend in for a sleepover! I can't imagine leaving my pet home alone with no one to check on him. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have pets . . . or kids!

"Gma" -- I've seen thunder shirts advertised for dogs. I hope it works for Fortune. I went to a food tasting group and one of the things was a jicama salad. I've never made it but think I saw the recipe when I was looking for something else not too long ago. Good luck at the commissary!

I need to figure out what I'm wearing to church tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of your evening, even if you've gone to bed!

Last edited by Jean; 07-21-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #26  

Quick good morning to you all. We had a heck of a thunderstorm last night so we did get some very much needed rain, but it didn't cool things off much. It is still going to be miserable to go grocery shopping today I think.

We sat and watched the Cubs game go in and out with the storm (satellite dish) but we should have just left it be. They got their behinds handed to them 12-0! We turned it off midgame when it started getting bad. Jack went upstairs and I sat and read for awhile.

Jean: Glad you didn't get rained out at the cabin. I imagine the kids would have been disappointed. I watched a utube video of how to use the jicama, peel it, etc. I was looking for something to show me what the thing looked like. I don't know if the commissary will have any. They have a decent produce section though so we shall see. I need some different veggies to eat. Jack won't touch most vegetables, especially those non standard ones but I like most vegetables so it is tough to find something that I wouldn't have too much of just for myself. I started buying the individual servings of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and stuff like that because he won't eat it. I watched Giada Delaurentis's show the other day and she said you could buy artichokes frozen and she said they worked great because they are already peeled and such. I guess if I have to I can get canned as I have never worked with fresh ones before.

Nothing else going on here today except shopping. I have a gyn appt on Wed but that is it for the week. Have a nice Sunday all! Faye
Old 07-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #27  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Scorching Hot Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is hot here once again ~ need I say more. I am going to take everything out of both upright freezers when I get off here and arrange them differently. We went out to eat and shared a plate since that place serves way too much for one person to consume ~ or should consume I should say.

DONNA FAYE Jicama has a mild taste to it and it is one thing that I can’t remember when I first had it as a kid ~ it is called the Mexican potato. I used to take slices or sticks of it in my lunch when I brown bagged it as a youngster. Here are a couple good recipes that we really like in our house:

JICAMA & MELLON SALAD
2 cups pealed & thin cut slivers jicama
2 cups cubed watermelon
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
1 tsp. lime zest
2 tsp. honey
Directions:
Toss all together in a bowl; cover
Refrigerate for 2 hours
Serves 4: 1 Points+ per serving

JICAMA ORANGE SALAD
Whisk together:
¼ cup Vinegar
½ tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. canola oil
Add & toss gently to coat:
1 peeled julienne cut jicama
1 julienne cut red bell pepper
1 red onion thinly sliced
2 navel oranges, peeled & sliced
Refrigerate for 2 hours
Serves 4: 1 Points+ per serving

JEAN Not much rain at the cabin at all. Not enough to quench a thirst. We don't have any rain in the near furture at all. Don't you just wonder how folks treat their kids if they treat their animals that way.

I am back now from cleaning out the freezers and re-arranging the items. I have all the meat and casserols in one freezer and all the rest of the frozens such as frozen lunch & breakfast items, veggies, fruit, breads & rolls, ice cream and flours and the baking goods I keep in a freezer. They are both pretty much equal now in vollume which is in each plus enough room for the air to circulate nicely. I didn't have any mysteries to throw out this time I went through everything. It will sure make it much easier now to find something for all like items are together. Beef, pork, chicken & fish. Lots of boxes from Schwans. Leaving the meat in the boxes sure helps keep the area neat. For the other meat I have one of those machines that sucks the air out of a plastic bag to store in. I like to re-package store bought meats in two serving sized bags. I am just glad now that chore of going through the freezers is taken care of.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-22-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! My thermometer says it is 102! Too hot! Bob was a substitute usher this morning so went early and stayed for coffee afterwards. A neighbor from our old neighborhood was serving and we don't get to see them very often. The other couple warmed ball game bleachers with us for several years. I've been doing laundry and not much else this afternoon. Bob grilled hamburgers for a late lunch.

"Gma" -- There was no lightning nor thunder yesterday so the kids stayed in the water during the sprinkle. Bob isn't a good vegetable eater but does better with raw than cooked. One grocery store does sandwich bags of broccoli and
cauliflower so that is what I buy rather than the whole head.

Maggie -- Both of your salad recipes sound good. I wish you could send samples! Organizing your freezers is a good job to have done!

Guess I will fold a load of towels and read the paper. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #29  

Good morning gals. It is a continuing repeat of weather, hot and sticky. Some poor farmer planted sunflowers on land on the road out to the commissary. Two weeks ago when we went shopping they were just beautiful, this sea of yellow faces. Yesterday when we went by, they are drooped over and black. Guess he lost the whole crop from the heat and no rain. It was sad. The beans look bad too, but boy the ole might muscle cotton is going like gangbusters as usual. The corn is pathetic.

Commissary was a little nuts yesterday, but not too bad. I didn't find any jicama so if I want some I think after my dr appt on wednesday I will go to Fresh Market because I would bet they had it. I just want to try it and see if I like it. They didn't have frozen artichokes and no fresh ones so I bought two jars. I can rinse them and use them as they are baked for dip anyway. I wanted to get single serving cauliflower, but had to buy a bag of it. It gets freezer burned so easily in a bag since it is only me who eats it, but I got some anyway.

I was so sick yesterday all day. I guess the heat got to me, but sheesh it wasn't pleasant. I finally took some medicine to try and feel better and eventually late in the evening I did.

Weighed in this morning and down 3.5 lbs. I am not quite back to where I was a few weeks ago as far as the doctor's office records are concerned, but I am close. I am not worried about that, just trying to get healthier now that things seem to all be working properly again.

My necklaces should be here today so I will be excited to see how they go with my dresses. Jack watches the ship pull out on Sundays (one of the restaurants by the pier has a webcam they show the ship pulling in and out) and he sits at the computer every Sunday at 3 PM our time. The ship is supposed to pull out at 4 PM eastern, but usually pulls out at 4:30. Yesterday, they were having bad weather down in Florida and it didn't pull out until 6 PM. The thing is, first seating for dinner is 5:30! Jack laughed and said he wondered if as soon as they hit open seas if they would rush people to dinner. Since they schedule no shows or activities first night out, they probably just rearranged dinner, but the kitchens probably had stuff all ready to serve so it all got messed up.

Maggie: Thanks for the recipes. I heard some people say jicama has a pear/apple taste and another person said it had a peppery taste so I don't know. I cleaned out the two freezers and the fridge just the other day. It was quite an ordeal and I found more evidence of soda pop in the fridge freezer!

Jean: Glad the kids had a good time. It was horrible here yesterday. The hair on the back of my neck could be wrung out I was so hot. I would then go in some place with the AC cranked up, dry out and get chilled so I think that is why I was so sick yesterday.

Well girls, I have to get out of here, get some breakfast and get upstairs and tackle the upstairs today before it gets too hot. Have a good start to your week everyone. Faye
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #30  

Good morning, ladies - hot and humid in the 90s this day.

We had a really bad storm again Saturday that dumped 4 inches of rain in 2 hours. The good thing is it was only 80 degrees yesterday; too bad it couldn't last longer.

I spent the weekend with Sandy and we had a fine time quilting and talking.

I have the chiropractor at 2 pm today. I hope he can figure out what is wrong with my back. I'm hoping I'll feel like stopping at AC Moore (used to be Ben Franklin) afterwards because I need some more beads and a crimping pliers.

Faye, to me jicama tastes like a cross between a potato and a turnip and just a little bit peppery. I get it at Trader Joe's, Kroger, or Walmart. It's hard to find small ones but when I have it I eat a lot of it so that's okay with me. The heat takes my breath away - literally. I don't go out unless I have to. I also eat less - but that's good, isn't it? congratulations on the weight loss!

Jean, when I was a kid, we used to swim in the pond in the cow pasture. It's a wonder I survived. It was a very big pond so maybe that diluted the pollution. It never got really really hot in OH but I can remember tossing and turning and hoping for a breeze so I could sleep.

Maggie, cleaning out the freezer is not a fun job but so necessary. I just got some Ziploc perfect portion freezer bags. You put your hand in the bag, pick up a portion of meat, turn the bag over it and then put it in a bigger freezer bag. Perfect for me. I had been wrapping each serving in Freezer Press and Seal and then bagging but that was a hassle tearing off all the little sheets.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote