3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Slow Dancing With A Stranger {13} "Please, Save The Last Dance For Me" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/262163-slow-dancing-stranger-%7B13%7D-please-save-last-dance-me.html)

K9Owner 09-24-2012 08:42 AM

My friends, don't I just have the most UNBELIEVABLE life????

Sunday night, September 23,2012,
I decided to go see my niece at 7:30pm after the Denver game.
I had made plans to go to the gym afterwards b/c it was right up the street from her house.
We hung out for a bit, but I became tired & wanted cheesecake.
I decided I would go back home and take a nap and wake up and go to the gym in the morning.
I stopped by Kroger near her house for cheesecake, but they didn't have any.
So, I left that store and went to the one right up the street from my house--about 6 miles down the street from this one.
It was approximately 10:30 p.m.

I go in, get cheesecake, go to the UScan and there are about 7 ppl standing in front of the door inside the store over a man who had collapsed.
I dropped the cheesecake and ran closer toward the man.
Everyone was just standing around.
I said, "Is he ok?"
The crowd responded, "We don't know."
I am a practicing cardiac RN in my community.
I kneeled in the floor next to the man to assess his pulse and when I didn't feel one, I ordered one of the associates to call 911 & began chest compressions on the man.
I asked for an AED and asked if anyone else knew CPR.
Out of all the people who were there--associates included-- no one else knew CPR, and they didn't even know what an AED was.
I worked as a lone rescuer on the man for approx 10 min before the EMT arrived.
I went to the hospital where they carried him, b/c I had to know if he had survived.
Since the hospital where they carried him was a sister entity of the hospital where i work and I had my identification badge in my vehicle, they gave me information concerning the man.
The RN told me the MD had pronounced him on arrival.

I am very passionate about saving lives & this is the first time I have ever had the opportunity to attempt to save a life in the community.
I was shocked that none of the associates working at this particular Kroger knew CPR & did not even know what an AED was.

Perhaps this experience will bring about something positive by requiring the store to install an AED, especially since it is in a very busy part of our community.

I am a regular shopper of this particular store & it breaks my heart to know they have invested in a full service pharmacy, yet they do not even have an AED & none of their night shift staff is educated in basic CPR.

I sent an email to the main office & pray they do something pro-active!!

IsabellaOlivia 09-24-2012 10:02 AM

I've never heard the word AED before and I don't know CPR.

Sum38 09-24-2012 01:55 PM

That is awesome Krystal! I am sorry that he passed away.

Sum38 09-24-2012 01:57 PM

Jo I am dying to know how your reset worked out???

I am back to being a redhead, almost eggplant color with low and high lights. I love my head dresser! This color really brings out my green eyes, makes them pop :D

I biked about 20 miles this morning. I am loving it. It was quite windy therefore I got a REAL good workout on my way home.

K9Owner 09-27-2012 10:18 AM

2 days left before I fly to Ft. Lauderdale!! I can hardly wait!!! :beach:
Can you all believe TOM came & left EARLY for a change!!
Now, I don't have to worry about taking special suitcase items for him and that leaves more room to bring back RUM!! :lol:

I'm still in the 140s, so I'm happy about that.
My abs are pretty dang sore from doing planks back to back for a few days in a row.
Planks really do tighten your core. I highly recommend them if you want to strengthen it, but they are no magical solution. It takes a while to get there.

Happy Thursday.
I go back for one more night of saving lives, then I'm off for like 12 days!! :woohoo:

alaskanlaughter 09-28-2012 12:40 AM

wow krystal that is awesome that you were there at that moment when no one else knew what to do!

i know CPR and i know what an AED is and how to operate it...i worry though that i would panic if i was ever in a situation like that

Sum38 09-28-2012 06:57 AM

:woohoo: vacation time is almost here for you K!! Enjoy!! :cheers:

K9Owner 10-09-2012 10:55 PM

I need a holiday from my holiday!!
I am super exhausted!
I drank way to much rum and wine.
And I gained 7 lbs!

Well, back to the drawing board for me.
Time to start the 1/2 Mary training! :woohoo:

jomatho 10-11-2012 04:09 PM

I miss this thread and miss you guys! I pop over here frequently to see whats going on, but it has been very quiet.
I don't have a lot to report at the moment, doing the same thing I was a month ago, :lol:. A creature of habit I am. Trying to stick with my goals up until Thanksgiving week and then I will take a maintenance break again. I only measure and weigh once a month now to save my sanity. My plan now is so much more about body recomposition than scale weight so it was just something I had to let go of.

Sum, I made your spicy pineapple turkey chili tonight to enjoy after a very cold and windy football game, brrrrrrrr. It is in the crock pot and I am looking forward to it. Sounds like you have been enjoying your biking. I avoided that this year due to my tailbone, but may take it up some in the spring, sounds great whenever you talk about it.

K9, glad you have a nice vacation, hope your soaked up lots of vit D for me and had a few too many drinks on me, I sure could use both!!! Good luck on the half mary training, let us know how it is going! Now that you are experienced, this should be a pc. of cake. Oops, sorry, shouldn't have mentioned the c word!!!!

Star, hope you are enjoying the folks! Missing your optimistic updates on mfp!!!

Isabelle and Alaskan, check in and tell us how you are doing!!!

Okay, gotta go freeze my tushie off.. .

K9Owner 10-12-2012 10:18 AM

I have the STRANGEST body ever!
When I returned and weighed on Tuesday, I was up on the scale, but I knew alot of it was from a sodium rich Monday. Today, I am down 5.2 lbs & this is after I have ran twice and lifted once! :dizzy:
Don't get me wrong, I like it! Heck, I love it!!

Jo: I am no longer a slave to the scale either, but I have found I have picked back up weighing more frequently than I did over the summer. Have you had any other flare-ups with your tailbone since you injured it? I had almost forgotten about that, but I'm sure you haven't!

Kristiina: I am a LONG cry from "hot", but I will appreciate the commie, thank you. I think one of the major differences in our compositions is that you've had children & I haven't. You probably look way better than you say you do, b/c we are our own worst critics. I personally think my core could use ALOT more work, but I'm gonna rock what I've got. I still have so far to go to get to be where I want to be, and at this rate--I may never see it :(

Isabella: AED--Automated external defibrillator--it's a portable device used to shock the heart back into rhythm. They are completely idiot-proof if you know how to turn it on. It will talk you thru the entire process of how to use it.

Star: As Jo mentioned, I am missing you on MFP as well. I hope all is well with you and Amber. Do you get a winter break from school like the children do in December?

Alaskan: How are you dear?? I bet it is getting cold in Alaska by now. Do you all already have snow or is it a little too early for that? I am missing your "Tales from Alaska" & you.

Sum38 10-12-2012 11:55 AM

Can a person have too many friends? -- My friends are BAD for my waistline....4th...YA FOURTH lunch this week is about to happen. I love them all, but still... I don't want to stay fat!!

JOOOOOO how was the reset????

Krystal, I hate to say it, but you are one hot babe! Stop denying it girl friend, just accept the fact that you are hot :D

jomatho 10-12-2012 12:17 PM

Kristiina,
the actual reset was great, got a taste of what it feels like to eat at maintenance. It was mentally freeing to me and I learned a lot about myself and what I really wanted in this process.
I gained some weight, but it is coming back off now that I am cutting and I am now losing while eating around/above 2000 calories a day! I am still heavier than when I started reset, but I fit into the same clothes, so things are shifting. I am trying to change my focus from the scale though as I said because I am focusing on my lifting and typically the inches will move but the scale may not. I am not far enough into the cut to have concrete measures yet, but I can tell my body is changing.
I hope it will all be worth it in the long run, but I figure I was spinning my wheels before anyways so at least this way I get to eat! Still working on my numbers, both calories and macros. Always a work in progress right?
I don't know if you followed all of those thoughts, as I re-read it, it seems a little disjointed but I am too tired to go back and rewrite it :lol:

Krystal, my tailbone overall feels pretty good, but if I sit slouched in a chair for too long it gets achy still. I do find it a little achy when I am squatting (weights) too, but I figure that is just instability/weakness so that should get better. Congrats on the scale behaving!

alaskanlaughter 10-12-2012 11:12 PM

im here but just kinda post around in other spots...i thought this was the last thread and it would close but if you guys will be around, i'll be here too

its getting colder up here, temps in the 40s during the day, still raining but it's supposed to snow this weekend...already got snow on the homestead up north...ive been super busy at work, with alot of students, the accompanying paperwork, only one staff person and many special needs students in the mix...my DH had surgery on his knee and is feeling much better, they had to go in and fix the meniscus part...kids are doing well in school, teenager is doing good in high school so far

my goal for september was to run 2 miles a day on the treadmill for 5 days a week (work days) and i did make that goal although it was hard...i came down with an ear infection and sinus infection and missed 2 work days so i chose to run on a weekend to make up for it...also had two days where i was scheduled to work 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. with likely no break so those days i got up at 4:30 a.m. to run...that was hard lol

my goal in october is to work on HIIT on the treadmill...so far ive put in 2 weeks of that, 5 days a week (work days) and it's going well...weight is down again at the end of TOM...reading at 185.4 today which is a new low...been slowlyyy creeping down the 180s...still watching my calories

my ear is hurting again tonight so took a sudafed...hope it doesnt turn into another ear infection

K9Owner 10-15-2012 10:53 PM

Another weekend of saving lives--however, one did escape my team :cry:
Luckily, he was a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate)
Very busy and draining, as usual.

Back at it on a Monday.
I ran almost 3.5 miles as soon as I got up from my nap. I usually procrastinate a few hours and then end up on the treadmill.
Not today!! :woohoo:

Glad to see the updates :)
Glad to see everyone is hanging in there, despite the fact that no one seems to be losing a great deal of weight.
It's a process, right??

Does anyone have fun Halloween plans?
We are having a fish fry at my niece's new house on the 26th.
She is going to incorporate a Halloween party with it.
Should be a great time. Hopefully, there will be no cake.

You all would be so proud of me!
I haven't had cake in a really long time.
I can't even remember the last time I had some!
:jeno: on the other hand is still a struggle.
I still have it at least once a week.
If I would just make the cauliflower crusted one I really love, I'd do so much better. But it takes longer to make!! :halfempty

Happi Monday to all of you!
Hopefully , this will be a fabulous week for all of us.
I work Wed/Thurs.
Gym Tue.
Run Fri/Sat

That's the plan, at least.
Hopefully, I can stick to it like glue.

Your turn..........

K9Owner 10-15-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter (Post 4496506)
my goal for september was to run 2 miles a day on the treadmill for 5 days a week (work days) and i did make that goal although it was hard...i came down with an ear infection and sinus infection and missed 2 work days so i chose to run on a weekend to make up for it...also had two days where i was scheduled to work 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. with likely no break so those days i got up at 4:30 a.m. to run...that was hard lol

my goal in october is to work on HIIT on the treadmill...so far ive put in 2 weeks of that, 5 days a week (work days) and it's going well...weight is down again at the end of TOM...reading at 185.4 today which is a new low...been slowlyyy creeping down the 180s...still watching my calories

my ear is hurting again tonight so took a sudafed...hope it doesnt turn into another ear infection

That is great that you were able to get up and run, then do an 11 hr shift.
Me, personally, NO WAY!
But the job is different, I guess.
Hey, whatever the motivation, keep it up!!
I can remember when a mile was a struggle for you, so you are defo improving!!

I hate to hear this about your ear! You seem to have the worst luck with ear infections. Praying you feel better really soon!