Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #16  

I just got a call from Kelly. They are going to let Marty come home tonight, then tomorrow they are going to put him to sleep. Please say a prayer for them and especially Thomas. It is gonna be real tough on him. I told her we would come over tomorrow after Jack gets off work and go swimming with him for awhile as he will be alone at the house. Kinda tough on the granddoggy's grandma too! Poor little guy.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is a hot one in my neighborhood this afternoon -- 94, "feels like 98," and no wind. I had planned to be at church to help with the newsletter this afternoon, but part of it wasn't done so will go in the morning. I was out and about early to get my nails done and pick up a few groceries. Ian's team won last night and will play again tonight but we aren't going. We didn't get home until midnight last night and tonights game is again at 7:30. If they win tonight will play a double header which they've never done before.

"Gma" -- Your Melting Pot dinner sounds delicious! The church custodian set up chairs in our fellowship hall with the screen for viewing the funeral service. The count was over 600! I found out that the guy had taught at the Catholic school, worked at the college, taught in a small neighboring town, and then here for the last few years. He was an all around nice guy and a favorite of the studnets. His wife is a local gal but I just know her family name, not her. I didn't know him so didn't go to the funeral. I read somewhere that some hysterectomies can be done vaginally if it just involves the uterus. I'm so sorry about Marty! I could right along with you.

Maggie -- Welcome aboard the WW bandwagon! It's definitely a healthy eating plan, but I wish the whole process wasn't such a hard challenge. I've never had a funnel cake but know they are very popular at the Iowa State Fair and Clay County Fair in Spencer.

Susan -- It sure sounds like this is going to be a summer of unusual weather all around the U. S. So far we aren't getting smoke from the CO fire but we have in the past. I hope you didn't have any damage from the hail. I'm sorry about your tooth! How frustrating for you. What is the difference between a cap and a crown? As a kid, I had a classmate who had a silver cap on a front tooth. I've had crowns put on but never hear about caps any more.

I'm working on my laundry and have some mending to do on a couple sundresses for Maddie. Someone made them for her and did a sloppy job of sewing so the seams and trim are coming apart. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day wherever you are!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #18  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 114º and the time is just after 6PM. What plants we had going are goners now even with watering they just couldn’t make it. It has just been too hot and with the wind it sucks every bit of moisture out of plants. No harvesting any nice veggies anytime this year. I haven’t been out to the apple tree to check on the apples but am hopeful they will be alright.

I started cutting out a building today and discovered I don’t have any glass straws to cut to use for the barber poll. Couldn’t even get a glass medicine dropper for they are all plastic around here. AH but when looking up glass straws on the internet I was delighted to find lots and lots of web sites selling them ~ eco friendly made them so popular. I am going to order some made by Pyrex for they come with a fabulous guarantee. I plan on ordering more than just one so I will have one to use with my drinks. I can get a set of four for $25.00. What is really neat is that you can get different sizes in lengths and big around. I can go ahead and build the building now for the barber pole is the last thing to solder on the front. I have the paints to stripe it round and round red and white.

DONNA FAYE I am so sorry to hear about little Marty. I’m sure your grandson will miss him dearly. Comfort him as you know how.

JEAN Thats a lot of folks to show up for a funeral. I bet parking was somehting to behold. Thanks for the welcome back. I am hoping to do well this trip through the program. I did just OK on line but better when I attend meetings.

I hope all is well with you Magnolias ~ type at y’all later ~

Last edited by Maggie; 06-27-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #19  

Ok, I have had it! I am done messing around with this female crap. I was sitting with Jack after dinner tonight watching tv and I coughed and felt this whooshing and coughed again and felt more whooshing. I had an old bath towel close by and took it and went loping to the bathroom. What a mess!! I had blood and clots everywhere some as big as the lids of tin cans. Tomorrow she either gives me good news or I am telling her to schedule surgery asap. I am not going on a cruise and have something like this happen period.

Today was a stinky day all the way around I think. This female mess, my poor little Marty, my kids grieving over what they have to do tomorrow, Jack pulled something in his back so is gimping around. I just want to put this in the "don't give me another day like this" toilet and flush it.

Last edited by gma22; 06-27-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Hot Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 9:30 and 89.6ºs here in the ♥-Land and fixin’ to get up to at least 113ºs before it is all said and done. We are definitely in a heat wave, wouldn’t you agree. I certainly don’t have any plans to be outside this day. Will is going to the museum and I am going to work on my glass house but first I need to clean up the kitchen. Also I do need to decide what I am going to cook for dinner this day. I know I have a bunch of fresh greens for a salad and that is as far as I have gotten. We bought a seedless watermelon that had double amount of black seeds in it. Wonder what happened there. The label stuck to it said it was seedless and it was grown in this country. I don’t like it when every bite has a seed in it but it was good none the less. Nice and red and sweet and cold.

DONNA FAYE Seems like you have only gotten worse since they gave you those meds to take for your problem. Get this all over with ASAP so you can get this all behind you and have a wonderful vacation.

PS: Just back to tell you ~ Schwan's has a great breakfast sandwich called "Bright Starts Live Smart English Muffin Sandwich", and they make this lightened version with turkey sausage, scrambled egg whites & light pasturerized american cheese all for 6 points+. It really tastes good and is filling. I just ate one and will be fine till dinnertime now. They also make a version with the more spendy ingredients for 12 points+ if you prefer.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #21  

Hello girls! Back from the doctor's office and the hospital. Here's the scoop. She is leery to a vagina hysterectomy because if she gets in there and cuts and my colon is attached to the uterus, which she says is very likely with what my surgical situations are, then I would have an ostomy bag the rest of my life. She says because I have had surgery so recently, she does not recommend cutting and even then with so many previous surgeries my healing time would be long. She said all the stuff going on with me is all about the endometrial lining. She allowed me to make the decision about what I wanted to do, hysterectomy, or going in, doing a d and c, biopsy and more meds or she wants to try to do the ablation again and see if it would work this time. So, Monday morning bright and early, I go to the hospital and get it all done. She said this is "old school" but works pretty well. It involves going back and forth to the hospital every few months until the problem is cleared up though, but if it works and they aren't cutting on me, I am ok with that. She said if they can do the ablation, I may not need the meds at all, if she finds that there has been improvement she will lower the meds dosage and if she needs to keep it the same she will include something similar to Imodium AD to help with the diahrrea. What happens is every time we go in for a d and c, she will check to see how the uterus is sloughing off the lining until she feels we are at the point where I would have no more trouble. If she can do the ablation, the lining will be burned off all at once so it won't be an issue one way or another. Anyhow, this gives me something to at least get through the cruise without the bleeding issue then I can decide how I want to go forward.

Fortune is at the vets being groomed and I have to go get Jack in about an hour. I didn't sleep last night worrying about Marty and the kids. I guess Tom took it extremely hard so much so he stayed home from work today so Thomas has someone home with him all day. So, we won't be going over there this afternoon. I don't want to embarrass Tom by going over there and he being really upset. He isn't one of those weepy kind of guys normally so he really took it hard.

Hope you all had a nice day today and I will talk to you more tomorrow. Faye
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #22  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Well I got my building all cut out and next is to grind the edges smooth. It is a dry goods store with a barber shop on one end and a beauty shop on the other ~ 3 in one, so to speak ~ a mini strip maul. The two on each end have sloping roofs from the peek on the middle store. The roof comes down and then out to cover the smaller shops. I did get my house work done before I tackeled my glass today so I can now work on dinner a bit later. Will wants mac and cheese with some burger in it so that is what I will make and a huge green salad. I can fit that nicely into my daily points+. Sounds

DONNA FAYE Sounds like quite a process you will be going through and I certainly hope it works this time. You and your doc can decide on your plans on how to combat this ongoing trouble you are having. Why did they attach a colon to a uterus which may someday need to be taken out. I don’t understand it. And did the attaching of it somehow cause the uterus act up.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #23  

Good Evening. Flowers! I was seriously thinking about going to bed and realized I hadn't posted today even though I did visit this morning. I thought I had more time before leaving for church and realized it was garbage day so had to play round up and clean out Ernie's boxes. It was another hot one today, the temperature wasn't as high but the humidity was higher according to the weatherman. We are supposed to have a thunderstorm tonight. This afternoon I met another retired teacher for pie and iced tea. We managed to talk away 2 hours in the restaurant when we could smell food cooking and realized it was almost supper time; people were beginning to come in to eat. There was no one there when we went in.

Maggie -- You are definitely havong hotter days than I am. I'm sorry about losing your garden produce again this year. We didn't even have a breeze today and that's very unusual for us. I usually buy melons that have been cut in half so I can see the innards. Last year I got stung on whole cantaloupes that had no taste whatsoever. Your mini strip mall sounds cute. You are busy!

"Gma" -- I'm glad you were able to visit with your doctor and she gave you some options. I hope it all works out for you and asap. As hard as it would be, I think I would have left Marty at the vets office yesterday. We brought "Mom" home and I'll never do that again. Each time our vet has reminded us that we have given our pet a loving home and they've had a good life. When they can't have a quality life it is better to let them go rather than let them linger and possibly suffer. I just feel so bad for your family.

I am going to head for bed and read for a bit. I don't have to be anywhere tomorrow and Bob is playing in a golf tournament so I will be home alone. On second thought, I do need to think about food for the 4th and maybe make a grocery run. See you all tomorrow!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #24  

Good morning girls. Have mercy it is awful outside this morning. I got up at 3 AM and you could hardly breathe it was so sticky. We were at alert purple a couple days ago and have been air alert orange for days now. Susan, this would not be the place for you to live, for sure as you wouldn't ever be able to leave the house!

Poor Jack is now having to get up at 4 AM and go to work as they are working early hours because of the heat. Frankly, what does it matter as it is already miserable when he leaves at 5 AM, but then it really does. Yesterday and today the poor man has to work out in the middle of a sewage lake repairing electricals on a piece of equipment. If you think it is miserable working on something on land, this is torture. They stand on these flat bottom boats to work rocking back and forth. It is terrifying for me as falling in could be catastrophic for anyone. Disgusting too. He would be like that woman in Silkwood, where they strip you and shower you, then they fill you with tons of antibiotics and stuff.

I am trying to catch up on laundry today. Since I am having surgery on Monday no pain relief meds that thin the blood and I was in agony all day and all evening. I was crying the whole evening from the pain. I had two heating pads on my front area and put Icy Hot along my back and upper tushy. I finally googled what could I take and they said I could take Tylenol for the pain and I happened to have a bottle upstair. I slammed back 4 of those things and 2 Benadryl to knock me out and about 2 hours later I wasn't totally out of pain but it was dull enough to fall asleep from the Benadryl and I did sleep all night. I took some at 3 AM when I got up to let out Fortune, not because I was in pain, but to keep the pain from starting. I am ok at the moment, but I think yesterday it got so bad because I had walk all over the dr's office and parking lot there, then drive to the hospital and since it was around 10 AM parking was way far away and it is uphill. I then walked all over the hospital for the different tests and such and walking always makes my cramps worse instead of better so by the time I got all finished at noon I was a mess and never got better. I pretty much wasted money going out to dinner, but I just couldn't eat for the pain. Jack was beside himself. He kept saying, "oh honey I am so sorry." So at least this thing Monday, no matter what they do will relieve all that again. Now that she will give me something to keep the diahrrea from happening, I should be ok.

Maggie: Boy, guess I messed up that explanation. I don't exactly know why because I didn't really asked her, but as she explained showing me on her body, your bladder is in the front, then your uterus sits behind it and your colon behind it. She said the peritonitus really would have caused the problem for the colon to adhere itself to my uterus and for every surgery I had that involved the colon, the more likely the colon would "stick" to my uterus. So, it wasn't the doctors, but ME that did the sticking. You were right though, I would think that anything to do with the colon like the diahrrea and pain and stuff when walking like I have, could be the result of the two of them sticking together however they do that. She said the problem was going into the uterus through the vagina to do the hysterectomy she would NOT have a 360 degree ability to see what was behind the uterus like you would if you cut a person open and so she wouldn't know until it was too late that she had cut into the colon. I would definitely rather put up with the nuisance of the drug and such then have that happen for sure. It was sinful, but I had the mac and cheese at Ruby Tuesdays last night. It was the one thing I did eat and theirs is beyond yummy. Hope you enjoyed yours. Even though it is hot, we are having turkey roast for dinner tonight. Sounds like you are on your way with the building.

Jean: I am a definite pie lover, cherry being my favorite, but I hate most restaurant pie crusts. They are way too thick and always taste like saw dust to me. The kids can now focus on leaving on their vacation tonight and having the time of their life, though I don't think hiking up a mountain is my idea of time of your life! Maybe sitting by the pool and reading or knitting, but not hiking up Kilimanjaro.

I guess I should go. I think the washer is done so I can get them in the dryer. I have some clothing I have to bleach and I always run the load twice to make sure there is no bleach residue for regular clothes so it will take awhile. Have a great weekend!!! Faye
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #25  

Good Morning, Flowers! A thunderstorm just went through the area with some much needed rain. Beth is at the cabin and expecting some of Will's family for the weekend. It's supposed to be sunny and hot this afternoon so I expect Bobs golf tournament will go on as planned at noon. I need to work on Maddies sundresses and am dreading that big time.

"Gma" -- I feel sorry for Jack working in the conditions that he does. Not fun I'm sure. I hope the Tylenol will help until you have the surgery. Will that be a same day procedure? I can't remember if you said. I hope Kelly and family have a wonderful time on their vacation. I'm with you and sitting by the water with a book.

I need to get busy and accomplish something today! Hope you all have a great day and enjoy!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendy Hot Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another hot day here in the ♥-Land. Currently at this hour of 4 PM it is 103º’s. Not as hot as yesterday for sure. We went out to lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant and I had 2 shredded beef tacos (brought one home) and some rice with a few chips to dip in the sauce. I can handle those points.

I needed a little length of glass straw for the barber pole on my house and checked on the web for glass straws. There are many places to get them now because of folks being eco friendly. I ended up ordering a “sample pack” that has 5 straws in various lengths in it ~ in length inches – 4, 6, 8, 10, & 12. Can you imagine a 12 inch long straw? That would take a tall drink. I can cut about an inch off of that one for my barber pole. Or keep it for giggles and use the 4 inch one to cut for the pole. They sell the 4 inch ones for kids to use. I thought I could find uses for the different sizes and didn’t want to buy a set of 6 of the same length since I am the only one in this house that uses straws. It will be fun to have a straw that fits the container best that I am drinking a cold drink from.

DONNA FAYE Sounds like you have it all settled in your mind what path to treatment you will be taking. I wish you success in this indeavor. Poor Jack having to work out in that cess pool. YUCK ~ I can just imagine the oder. I bet the shower feels so good to him after work.

JEAN What is it that you are doing to Maddies sundresses? Hope whatever it was went better than you may have thought.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #27  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful sunny, no wind, and cool morning in my corner of the world. It's supposed to be back in the 90s for the next few days. The rain yesterday cooled everything off so the windows were open last night and I slept all night which is very rare for me. Bob just left to check in at the office and then head for his Saturday morning coffee group. I've got the washer and dishwasher doing their work. I never did vacuum yesterday so will do that today.

Maggie -- I hope it is cooler in KS today! The shoulder seam on one dress came completely apart; I don't know if the gal used a chain stitch or what, but there is a facing and zipper so I don't want to take all that apart to get to the shoulder. The other sundress has bias tape aroound the hem and neckline. There is one place on the hem where the fabric didn't get caught in the tape or else raveled in the wash so left a 4" hole. I hate having to mend anything but Maddie only wore each dress once. The bias tape one will soon be too short but the other one could be worn when school starts in the fall.

I can hear the dryer buzzing so time to change laundry loads. Hope you all enjoy your day today!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It has been a cooler day in the 100’s and currently at 4:30 it is 106ºs. Cooler but still hot. Went out to the farmers market and not many farmers have brought their veggies yet. Picked up a couple of garlic bulbs from a guy and a wooden soap bar holder from my friend. It is made of wood and is 2 & 3/8ths inch wide by 3 & 9/8ths inch long and 6/8ths inch thick. The top has 4 grooves cut lengthwise not quite all the way through where the bottom has 2 cross cuts that are cut flush up to the upper cuts so it is a soap drainer hand made in the Smokey Hills of this state. I have it with my hand made bars of soap.

I have not done much this day but laze around and it sure has felt good. Not much going on today to yack about.

JEAN If I lived closer to you I would certainly love to do that mending for you. I learned to sew early in life and always loved it. Do the best you can and I am sure it will look fine.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #29  

Good morning gals. I have had a really really tough time the last couple days so didn't even get in here yesterday. I never even left the house it was back and forth to the bathroom. I actually am looking forward to tomorrow and get this over with again.

I finished Jack's green socks and started his brown ones as well as put the sleeves on the needles for my sweater so I can go back and forth and not get bored.

Jean: Sounds like you are basically remaking a poorly put together dress. I don't sew, but even I know what is and is not correct. I am going to have to go out and buy Jack another pair of shorts for vacation because the white ones have a zipper that won't stay up and I can't put a zipper in, for one thing I don't have a sewing machines. I can hand sew in a zipper as I put one in a sweater I made for Jackson, but machine sewing is beyond me pretty much so good luck with them.

Maggie: I guess I am behind the times, but I didn't know they even made glass straws! Glad you were able to find what you needed. The internet can be a magical thing anymore. You can find anything pretty much.

It is sunny and very hot here today. Our utility bill is going to be horrible, but it gets so hot in the house. I told Jack we are going to have to buy two more AC units if we are going to have weather like this because other parts of the house are staying hot, which keeps the cooler part of the house, hotter than it should be.

Well girls, have a great day. I don't know when I will get in here. Have to be at the hospital at 7 AM tomorrow and it can take most of the morning then sit around until they release you. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greencruisesocks.jpg (27.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #30  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's warming up and the air conditioner is humming away. I feel so sorry for the people in the east w/o electricity, and the CO fire victims. So sad! We've been to church, and afterwards thought I should have remembered what it would be like . . . too long. The Bible school kids "presented" and were not prepared so were pretty pathetic. It was communion Sunday so that always adds to the mix-up because none of the ushers are on the same page to get people going in the same direction. One poor guy can never remember where he was sitting so will wander until someone gets him. His wife wasn't with him this morning and he really shouldn't be out alone. The sermon was the same length as always so we were late getting out. Since we didn't have to be anywhere by a certain time it didn't really matter. Guess I'm too set in my ways and like the same organization every Sunday. To top it off the custodian was nowhere to be found and the automatic door wouldn't open, the floor mats were every which way but straight, and the outside doors were full of fingerprints on the glass. I know complain, complain, complain.

Maggie -- I know how to sew and have done my share of mending, I just don't like to do it and put it off. I'm going to use my machine so know it won't take long, it's just doing it. My mom was a perfectionist when it came to sewing so I always compare my end product to what hers would have looked like.

"Gma" -- It's good to see you today and hope today is going better than yesterday for you. Jack's socks are a hoot! Our team colors are green and white so he would be a hit here. I have taken items to the cleaners to be mended -- namely new elastic in my winter jacket sleeves. I know they also do zippers and hems so if you have one close by, call and ask. Good luck tomorrow!

Bob is going to grill steaks for dinner and I'm putting together a salad so better get a move on. Hope you are keeping cool and enjoying the day!