Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #16  

Good morning ladies. We had a real downpour early this morning and it is over but cool and cloudy this AM.

We had an enjoyable time with the kids at brunch yesterday. I don't know why they seem to always put us at lousy tables. The stuck us in a round booth, which I couldn't get into, so I had to sit in a chair on the outside. That was ok, but it isn't like the woman seating us couldn't see my size for heaven's sake. They did it last year too only the table was stuffed into a corner with no way of walking around it because it was so tight. The food was great though it is an expensive brunch at $31 apiece. They did have better quality stuff though not just your basic eggs, bacon and such. They had peel and eat shrimp, oysters in the shell, smoked salmon, to die for prime rib, waffle bar and omelet bar, the regular bacon, sausage, eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits kind of thing then salads, great fruit, and lovely desserts too. I had this to die for italian pasta salad that was just delicious. I did succumb to their bread pudding and sauce though I think it needed a lot more nutmeg and cinnamon and the sauce was thin from being heated too high. It was a nice time though as everyone talked about cruising more than anything else.

I have been wasting my time looking at yarn for socks this morning. I ran out of red for the monkey hats and it has been shipped, but I can't finish the one I have almost all the way done until I get more red. The second one went a lot faster than the first, but then I haven't started the sewing part yet, which was what drove me nuts before, getting everything centered and such. I have decided to buy Lorna's Laces Shepherd sock yarn this year. It is a bit pricey, around $24 for a hank long enough to make one adult pair of socks, but the colors are just exquisite. I found this color to make the boys Christmas socks this year. Jay loved the boys socks so much at Christmas last year he told me he would love a pair. He has really large feet, probably size 13 or 14 but this particular yarn is like 435 yards so should be enough. I am also going to make Alicia a pair for her birthday in July but am waiting to hear back from her about whether she wants solid or patterned type socks and what colors she likes.

Poor Jack has to come home and fool with the new garbage disposal after dinner. I don't know what is going on, but the dishwasher doesn't completely drain out. Thing is, it is not flooding out of the machine onto the floor, but there is water in the bottom after you run a load. I tried running it empty this am a short load time and it still has water in the bottom so something isn't draining completely and it has to be something he put on wrong because it was working before he put the darn thing in. This is the third one we have put in since we moved in here. I lived in Indiana for 10 years and never even had to have the one there fixed and it was a cheap one as it was a rental apartment so don't know why this keeps going out.

I did lose about 4 lbs of the weight I have gained since leaving the hospital, just hope I can keep it up now. My abdomen is so bruised feeling that it keeps me in the chair a lot so it is harder to get up and get stuff to eat I guess. I bought some gas-x thinking maybe the feeling is built up gas, but I don't know if it will help or not.

Today is laundry day. I have 3 loads and that was just over the weekend. We were out and about so much that there were a lot of showers, dress clothing and such besides the regular stuff. I also want to wash throw rugs so I can clean the downstairs tomorrow. I was going to do it today, but I don't want gunk tracked in from the rain so will wait until things dry out and just get all the laundry caught up.

I wore one of my new dresses, my new sweater, and the shaper to lunch yesterday. Jack told me I looked beautiful. I told him the biggest thing was going to the bathroom and getting that shaper back up when I was finished! Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be and it does provide a smoother and definitely no jiggle look. The dress and the shaper are both comfortable, the shaper doesn't roll down at the waist or anything and stays in place on the legs too. I really like the easy flow of the dress too and the material doesn't wrinkle which for a cruise is superb.

Well, gals, the buzzer for the dryer is about to go off so have to get the first load out. Have a great start to the week. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9b319c64c6de3ecfa4ab186028be8876.jpg (37.6 KB, 5 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #17  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day in the neighborhood ~ sunny with out the wind. Lets the rain do it's most good with out being sucked away with the wind. Will mowed the lawn on Saturday and it already needs it again. I am trying something new and went to bed earlier than usuall and got up a bit earlier. Trying after all these years to re-set my inner clock. For so many years it has been set to stay up late and get up late and I want to change it. I do like early mornings when the day is waking up and miss them with my current sleep habits. I am working on it little by little. I did show a pound down on this weigh day and am happy to be in new territory and no longer have to lose a hundred pounds and more. It is a very good feeling. I know if I had lived back in the Victorian days here in this US of A I would have carried a lace edged handkerchief everywhere I went for I sure go through a lot of tissues now days. I am not complaining just stating a fact. OH and I sneeze at least twice daily. Just twice. I think I have alergies but not bad enough to be medicated.

I saw a little video of a section of Good Morning that listed 5 Foods That Turn Back Your Clock. Interesting for we use them all but not so much of number 5.
1. Fresh Spinach - steaming it lightly releases the good for you things.
2. Curry Powder - good for ones heart
3. Tomatoes - reduce sun damage to your skin
4. Almonds - Vitimin E, improves focus and coordination
5. Dark Chocolate - reduces blood pressure and improves your mood.

DONNA FAYE Glad you had fun at the brunch even though it was spendy. We always ask for a table and ~NOT a booth. I can fit in booths now but my back starts hurting sitting in one. We never mind waiting for a table to open up. Or a set of tables if we are with a crowd. The food at that brunch you went to sounds good. Your sox have become a hit and I imagine your people would love getting them every year as gifts. on your 4 pounds gone and wearing one of your new outfits. Sounds like you were stilin' for sure. Since you gave that outfit a trial run you will know it will work when you are on the cruise.

JEAN & SUSAN Hope you are well and safe this day.

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-16-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #18  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We are having another cold day of wind, some clouds, some sunshine, and more rain on the way. The tornadoes missed us the other night, for which we are thankful. We spent most of yesterday with Beth, Jason, and their families in Sioux City. I am just not appreciative of contemporary church services. Imo the band sounded like it should have been playing in a bar, not that I hang out in bars. Kolby had a wonderful birthday party and now on to the next ones: Beth's is the 24th, Amanda and Zowie's are in May. We balanced in short order this morning, I did the gift shop deposit, and went to a luncheon at noon. I have another hospital volunteer brunch tomorrow.

Maggie -- Thanks for sharing the website. My spider plant is history but will see about a bamboo plant that Ernie has taken a shine to. I've read that cinnamon is becoming the spice of choice these days. on losing another pound!

"Gma" -- I mentioned the reception about 8:00 when the weather warnings began on tv. Bob said, "do you really want to go?" He fell asleep watching a movie so we didn't go. This morning I was telling the church secretary that we didn't go, and the program director said they did and there were alot of people there. Now I don't feel bad. I have seen the wedding dress program as well as one where 4 brides vie for a honeymoon. Your brunch sounds delicious! It's fun to wear new clothes. on losing 4 pounds! I hope your dw is an easy fix for Jack! I like the new yarn!

I need to change clothes and vacuum! Enjoy your evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #19  

Good morning girls. It was warm all night last night so I had to run the AC. I imagine it will be on a good portion of the day today too. I think we are past the rain so I am going to try and work on the downstairs today and get it done.

I do not know how I managed without a dishwasher! I washed dishes twice by hand yesterday, once to do up the breakfast/lunch stuff and dinner prep stuff, then because Jack couldn't figure out why the dishwasher wasn't draining, I went ahead and did up the dinner dishes. About 10 minutes after I had it all done and the kitchen cleaned up, Jack went into the kitchen and got under the sink with a screwdriver and hammer and knocked out some plug from the disposal he was supposed to do when he put it in and the dishwasher is fine and dandy now! He had gone on the internet to google the problem and he said when he saw it, he knew what was wrong. I tried to tell him it had to be something to do with how he put the new disposal in because the dishwasher worked before that. Anyway, we are all hunky dorey now!

I have to sew the muzzle on and fill it and sew on the buttons for the eyes and I am done with hat number 2. I texted Kelly and ask her to have Thomas try on the hat and let me know asap so I could start the last one, but haven't heard from her. If I don't hear from her by tomorrow, I am just going to make the darn thing and they can deal with it. I believe it will fit him if for no other reason but that he has so much hair!

Thomas has a paid concert on Saturday we are going to. I bought tickets since the money goes to the school though there is another school performing too I guess. I thought this way Jack could hear them. I believe it is concert band only though not the whole shebang and I am hoping the thing isn't too long.

Jean: I always hated contemporary services. I have always felt it was wrong to cater to a group that would refuse to go to church otherwise by having some rock band and then having the preaching be, frankly, a bunch of bologna. The people who insist on it don't want to learn about the scriptures anyway, they just want to be able to say they went to church. Glad you had a good time with kids and grandkids. I am in that long period of birthdays and anniversarys and such. The boys birthdays are coming up in June. I think we are going to get Jackson a handheld Nintendo DS so he can play video games now that he has been doing it with his dad. I imagine Thomas will just get money. July is Alicia's birthday and I am going to make her socks and probably just get her a nice gift card somewhere. August is Tom's and I never know what to do for his. Then Jay's is in Oct, as well as Jack's but he is out of luck this year with the cruise! Kelly's bday is in November and our anniversary is 2 days later, but the cruise is for our anniversary. then I have a few months and it starts all over again. That doesn't even count the birthday of my best friend or sisters, but I didn't do anything for my younger sister this year. Frankly, I got tired of spending money on her and she never even sent me a card.

Maggie: Congrats on your loss I know you are happy about that. I am really glad the shaper stayed in place and was comfortable. I kept hearing about how they rolled at the waist and were very uncomfortable, but this one sure isn't. I actually bought two for the cruise to wear with dresses. I have read that dark chocolate is really good for women. You know Special K has a cereal with pieces of dark chocolate in it. I never use curry powder and Jack hates spinach, but I eat it raw in salads sometimes. Thanks for the info.

Well, I guess I better hit the bricks and start the day off. Have a good one all. Faye
Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #20  

Good afternoon, ladies. A lovely day in the high 70s.

I've been busy with quilting things and tea on Saturday. I was spending too much time on the computer so I turned it off and left it off until today.

Yesterday I went to the Y and after my yoga class I left via the front door (don't know why because I always use the side door where I park) and the ASCPA was there with a dog and a cat soliciting donations and giving out adoption information. Of course, I fell in love with the cat and asked about adopting him. They assured me I could and said they'd take him back to the shelter and I could go there and do the process. When I got there, we went back to the cages and he was there yet and I happened to glance across the way and there was a cage with a sign "I can't hear you talking to me. I am deaf." So I asked the girl what were the chances the kitty would be adopted and she said not many and he was almost at the end of the time they keep him - so I said I'd take him. He's fluffy white, blue eyes, 10 months old, very cuddly and playful. The girls at the shelter made me promise to send pictures from time to time and they cried when I took him out. They all had pets and were afraid he wouldn't find a home because he doesn't get on with other animals or children. He's had all his shots, been neutered, tested for Feline Leukemia, wormed and has a microchip inplanted. They had named him Casper so I'll just keep that since he can't hear anyway. I'm going to teach him hand signals. They sent his toys with him and I'll be getting him some more because he really plays with them. I think we'll get along fine. The other thing was, the adoption fee is normally $129 and yesterday they had a special on cats for $39 so God really sent Casper to me. I thought he might now meow but he does a lot and very loud. Poor thing can't hear. He also purrs loud. I'll try and get a picture of him I can post.

I started a new COPD drug trial and when I went for me check in the girl said she had a little side project for me if I wanted. Eli Lilly is conducting an osteoporis study with Oxford University in England - not involving a drug at this time but to see what group the drug would be suitable for. It involves 2 visits and only involves answering questionnaires, walking, simple exercises like raising arms and bending knees. Each visit pays $100! You can bet I'm interested. She said they were paying so much because the British people are very reserved and don't want to take part in research studies unless they pay a lot.

Faye, isn't it funny that we wore shapers when we were young, then they went out when panty hose came in, and now they have been rediscovered! I loved the monkey hat! Good job and losing those 4 pounds. When I've had surgeries for intestinal blockage and a hernia, the doctors and nurses always told me to keep walking to get rid of gas, prevent blood clots, and keep my strength up.

Jean, I don't like contemporary services either. Our church does have one but it is at 5:30 Sunday evening so it doesn't change the regular services. It's just like churches that let you come in flip flops and shorts on the grounds that at least you are there. We are expected to dress in at least skirts, slacks, dresses and no shorts or flip flops.

Maggie, congratulations on being down again. You go girl!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a very beautiful day here in the Hearland. The sun is shining and the wind isn't blowing and the grass contunies to grow. I have been busy this morning cleaning out my e-mails. Some I had wanted to save and others I couldn't figure out why I didn't delete them at the time after I had read them. I have friends in several states that I correspond with using e-mail instead of snail mail these days. Today for dinner we are having steaks on the grill. I think I will spice them up with Wild Will's BBQ rub. We will have a baker cooked in the microwave which we will split and a nice green tossed salad. Will has decided that he likes the tool box grill I got awhile back for it uses fewer coals then the Webber and cooks very well. He has been very resistive to useing it for he didn't care at all for the one we had before. However, this is a newer updated version and he was surprised when he finally broke down and gave it a try. I really like the compact size of it which will fit nicely into the Jeep for outings.

SUSAN I rejoice with you for your new kitten. Casper. How wonderful he came with all the necessaries ~ shots and stuff. I am so very certain you will be a good care taker for him and teaching him tools with which to communicate. Cecil has "selective" hearing at best. Excedingly independent he is. That study you are getting involved with sounds interesting. LOL ~ those Brits aren't stupid for they know how to bide their time and be patient by holding out for the bigger payment. Those are my ancisters. Now because of them you get more do re me for the study. See how that works.

DONNA FAYE It is good that Jack did some research and then was able to fix your dishwasher problem. Now you won't have the pleasure of hand washing everything. I love those band programs that the schools put on. Usually they are really pretty good. The kids really do like it when their "folks" show up to hear them. LOL we used to call those "shapers" girdles.

JEAN Hope your day is going well and you are getting your computer back to exact and finding your programs.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-17-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #22  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I just spent an hour on the phone with a tech support gal from CA getting my antivirus program to update. She was VERY patient and I commented how technology challenged I am. She sounded Asian and said, "the only challenged people are those who won't ask for help when there is a problem!" I am a happy camper now! It's a beautiful sunny day with a slight breeze. I went to the volunteer brunch this morning and am waiting for Bob to come home so we can head over to Sioux City for Maddie and Kolby's soccer games.

"Gma" -- I'm glad your dishwasher is fixed and working great again! I wash quite a few things by hand but it seems like the dw is always full too. The church we went to on Sunday, puts the Bible verses/sermon in their bulletin which really isn't a bulletin, but more of a program with what groups are available through the church. The verses/sermon are printed, word for word, and also are on the big screens with fill in the blank questions at the end. The answers are also provided at the end if anyone didn't pay attention. There aren't any names of the main minister or any of the associates which I find unusual. Both Ian and Kolby have the DS games and they play them constantly.

Susan -- I can't tell you how happy I am that you adopted Casper!
I know how much company he will be for you and you for him! WONDERFUL!! I'll bet he is a handsome guy! Sometimes I spend way too much time on the computer too and then try to get away from it for awhile. Good luck with the osteoporis study, that sounds interesting. Bob and Jason both wore suits on Sunday as did some of the other "older" guys. There were ALOT of jeans and sloppy shirts -- Will and his dad included. Will did say he guessed he was underdressed. Ya think!?

I need to change clothes and get ready to leave when Bob gets home. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #23  

Good morning to you ladies. It is cool but lovely here today. Supposed to be in the upper 70's.

Finally got an email back that the hat fitted Thomas too, so I am now on my way to doing the last one. I will be glad when it is done. I did find the second one easier than the first one, for one thing, I didn't have to take stuff apart repeatedly.

Boy it hit the fan last night. I made beef and noodles. I use the teeny tiny noodles and 8 oz of sirloin and ff beef broth, which makes for many less points than regular beef and noodles. I had finished dinner and all of a sudden just out of the blue I told Jack I felt like I was going to vomit. I barely made it to the sink and every bit of dinner came up. Thank goodness it has been 5 weeks since surgery so vomiting didn't tear anything, but I thought I had wet on myself from vomiting so hard and went in to the bathroom and had blood and tissue all over myself. It was a total mess. So, I guess I am into the next side effect from the progestin med. I found out this med causes gas too! Unfortunately, this morning I am back to having the diahrrea. I am also having cramping since the stuff happened last night so am taking the pain med she prescribed. If it isn't one thing it is another.

Susan: I cried when I read about Casper. I am so glad you took the kitty home. I know he will be really really happy with you. He sounds so beautiful Sounds like you have been super busy as usual. I do walk quite a bit because this progrestin can cause blood clots and that alone concerns me of course. The gasx has helped some with the extra gas and the pain that comes with trapped gas so that is a lot better. Wow that's great about the research project. That is great money too.

Jean: I will say one thing for blacks who attend church, they do it all the way clothing wise. The women dress to the nines, all of them wear huge hats, the men wears suits, ties, shirts and shoes that can be pretty loud and such but they are dressed for respect. I don't have a problem wearing nice slacks or even nice jeans, but sloppy just doesn't do it for me going to church. I find it disresectful.

Maggie: The shapers of today are so much better than the old girdles though. I am old enough that when I started wearing nylons it was still garter belts or girdles and stockings so I did wear them for about 2-3 years before panty hose came along. The new shapers are lighter but still provide great shaping and fix the "jiggle" issue! Nowadays, women don't even wear panty hose much. I remember my grandmother wore nylons everyday and when she was home she would roll them down to her ankles. She wore those old black oxfords with a heel. Actually, it is found memory I have of her. She wore those shoes and only those shoes. She would go out in her garden in little white anklets and those black oxfords.

Well, gals, I want to get some upstairs things done today. I did get the downstairs cleaned yesterday so one job done. Onward and upward. Have a great middle of the week. Faye
Old 04-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

It is a beautiful day in the high 60's this day in the neighborhood. I didn't wake up once during the night so slept straight through and feel great. First thing when I got up Will wanted me to fix a problem on his computer and I did that before I even had any coffee. He has learned so much since he has goten computer literate but still asks me questions now and then. I now got a taste of what he goes through with the cat on his desk. What a little pest which makes me so glad I booted him off my desk and computer when he was just brought home and he doesn't get on "my stuff" anymore. He camps out on Will's desk. I think I will do a baked chicken meal this evening. I'll lemon panko cover a couple breast tenders and serve veggies and salad. Well salad is a veggie isn't it. Anyway that is an easy and tasty meal to have on a Wednesday for we have class at 7pm. Yep, come to think of it Wednesday is usually a chicken night for we sometimes get Colonel Cluck. I really don't have a day for certain foods. And insted of the chicken I think I will use some of the left over steak that was grilled last evening and make a dish out of that for dinner. See how quickly I can change my mind.

DONNA FAYE I am so sure you will be glad when all this "aftermath" of your operation is over with. Those horrid side effects you are experiencing from your meds will keep you close to a bathroom for sure. What a way to lose weight. Is this a med you can quit taking soon? That sure helps that you can make all caps the same size doesn't it. The third one will be a whiz to make. You know back in Biblical times the folks went to church in the dark hours before going to work so they were dressed in work attire. Not dressed to the 9's or in playclothes. It was a work day for them.

JEAN Isn't it nice to get your computer back to exact like you like it to be. I still have some stuff saved in folders that the tec folks moved when my computer was being worked on ages ago. Nothing I need but know where it is if I do at one point. That is so true about what the tec told you ~ ask questions when in doubt or don't understand.

SUSAN How are you and your kitty getting along? Bet he knows you are the "boss" by now.

I am off to play with a new toy Will just handed to me. It is called a Magic Wand and is one of those thingies you pass over a document and copy it to your computer. What fun. Now I need to learn how to use it. type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful day here, sunny and just a teeny tiny breeze. It's wonderfully "quiet" to have no wind for a change. I was busy at church this morning and the rest of the week will be busy also. We are hosting some sort of district meeting, for close to 100 women, because the original church had a fire in their kitchen. There is a memorial service for a man who died in January; I'm not sure why it's so much later. Then there is a wedding on Saturday so will have people here for the rehearsal and dinner Friday night.

Maggie -- You and I posted within minutes yesterday and I missed seeing you. My computer is working just fine and each time I log in the virus scan updates so guess it is doing what it should w/o being told. Will is lucky that you know how to fix things on his computer.

"Gma" -- I know you will be anxious to finish the last monkey hat. Doing two isn't so bad, but after that the repetition can get to you. I hope you are feeling lots better today; what a horrible incident you had last night! When I taught in Sioux City I was always impressed at how nicely the black children were dressed. Even now if we happen to go to the mall on a Sunday, the minorities (for the most part) are dressed up. My grandma wore the same kind of shoes!

I have my roast cooking, finally, and the house sure smells good. Bob is off working on his tractor. Hope you all are enjoying your day and evening!

Last edited by Jean; 04-18-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #26  

Good morning gals. Well, not so good actually. Fortune just would not settle down last night, jumping down and barking then up, then down, etc all night long so I got very little sleep. On top of that, Jack just called and he got rear ended just a couple miles from work. Some idiot following too close slammed into a Ford Ranger and couldn't avoid slamming into the back of our suv. This is the second time in a year for heaven's sake. At least this time Jack said the suv is drivable until we can get it in to be fixed then the guy will have to pay for a rental for us again. Jack told me where he got hit and it is an area where you have to drive slowly as the traffic is very congested on this small road. Everyone here drives like their darn pants are on fire, and boy do they tail gate, which is why we now have a dented fender again. Sheesh! I told Jack is he feels the least bit sore across his shoulders or back or whatever to make them take him to the hospital because he said he got hit pretty hard.

I have the hat part about 3/4 done so I am hoping by Saturday I will have it done and can then give them both to my daughter at the concert and be done with it. I need to get yarn to make my dil a pair of socks for her birthday as it is in July and then finish up my wrap before vacation. All the other socks I can work on while we are on the cruise and I plan on getting a lot of relaxation time in those chairs! Of course, swimming will be a big part to you know!

Maggie: I may have to change menu options for tonight if Jack isn't feeling up to it as we were going to have steak, but if he is feeling the affects of the accident I will just do something quick and easy. Cats do what cats want to do until you make it clear to them something is off limits, that's for sure. I used to have to squirt Butterscotch with water all the time to keep him off the kitchen counters.

Jean: You are right about the third hat. I am so over them! I get bored just working on one thing let alone the same thing three times. It will be done by tomorrow then I can give them to her and be all done with the whole project. Nothing smells better than roast cooking in a house I think. I used to put a roast in before we would leave for church and come home after services and the house smelled so wonderful. Years ago when we were stationed here the wife of the pastor of our church never ever had anything but roast for Sunday dinner. I would think her family would get tired of the same old Sunday dinner, but that is all she ever cooked for Sunday lunch.

Well girls, I want to get back to work. I hope to talk to Jack again soon and make sure everything is still ok. Have a good day. Faye
Old 04-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #27  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is raining here this morning so I'm betting there will be no soccer games tonight. I'm glad we went earlier this week. Kolby turns 7 today; time flies, that's for sure. I have some typing to do, and could run Sundays bulletin but need to check with the minister first to be sure it is ready.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry about the car accident but at least it wasn't Jack's fault. I hope he doesn't have any long lasting pain from it; I'm betting he will be stiff and sore for awhile. The car can be fixed, Jack can't be replaced. I think we had roast beef dinners alot on Sundays, after church. My mom was a pretty plain cook, but back then we didn't have all the "fancy" veggies, fruits, side dishes, etc., to choose from. I like to make casseroles if I'm going to be gone for an hour or so. I could still smell the roast "smell" downstairs this morning.

We have a big meeting at church today and ladies will be coming shortly, so I had better be ready to welcome them by the office door in case any come in that way. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #28  

Good afternoon, ladies! Only 59 degrees right now but high 70s are on their way for the weekend (with rain).

This is the weekend I'll be teaching at the quilting retreat. Glory is coming to stay with Casper. He's always near me. If I go downstairs, he does; same with reverse; if I get up to do something he's right there. It was kind of unnerving yesterday when I ran the vacuum cleaner and he never woke up. My other cats were terrified of it and plastic bags crackling. I have a paper grocery bag I put my newspapers in for the recycling. It was empty this morning since this is collection day and Casper jumped in and then had a wonderful time playing in it. When he got tired of playing, the bag had a big hole in it. As soon as it starts getting daylight, he's after me to get up. He doesn't get on upholstered furniture, but he 's a minimalist and tries to clear off end tables so he can lay on them. Since I'm going to be gone, I've only worked on the table and counters (quick learner, too) but next week we'll start our battle of the wills in earnest.

Faye, what an awful thing to happen to Jack yet again! I hope he's not sore or anything for long. We have a lot of accidents here, too, because people drive too fast and tailgate. My grandma wore black oxfords, too.

Jean, you are always busy! Glad you got your computer problems straightened out. I love roast. We had it many Sundays.

Maggie, your meals always sound a lot better than mine. Maybe you should post the menu and recipes for us every day. LOL

Have a wonderful day. No WI FI where I am going so I won't be back until Monday to post.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

It is a 63º beautiful bday here in the ♥-Land; only partly cloudy with no rain in the forecast. The hand held scanner didn’t work properly for it would scan half the page and then the scan light would turn off and it would stop the scan process. That isn’t good for it needs to scan as long as you are in that mode. So Will has it with him at the museum and will ask one of the gals there that has one to check it out before he takes it back. I may have been not working it properly but I followed the directions to a T and half a page was all I ever got it to scan. It’s a great little tool that can be used for many of our projects when working properly. So we shall see. I placed an on line Schwan's order last evening consisting (he comes on Friday) of bone in pork chops, bone out pork chops, and 4 single serve "Live Smart" dinners. I will be getting Points+ friendly dinners from them that are very tasty: Roasted Turkey w/Veggies, Blackened Chicken Alfredo w/Veggies; Sweet & sour Chicken Dinner; & Beef Portabella Dinner. I like having these on handy when Will is at his volunteer job at the museum. I microwave them and put them in my bamboo bowl and eat them with my ivory chopsticks. I first started using chopsticks to slow down my eating but have gotten so good using them that I could eat fast but I don't. I like most of the WW frozen dinners and LQ's and have gotten great money saving coupons from both companies. 50 cents off a dinner is a good chunk of change.

The gentleman who lives in our basement said they have finally found a house to move into. Their baby is 4 months old already and the mom has gone back to work. Time sure flies. I can imagine that when they do get moved he isn’t going to like all that driving he will have to do to get to work and home again for he puts in long hours at the radio station. Long hours ~ he doesn’t get home (here) until the wee hours of the morning as it is. But that is his choice and I am staying out of it. Will and I both like him and he is welcome to our basement bedroom as long as he needs it.

DONNA FAYE OH poor Jack. Being tail gated once again ~ not good. I certainly hope that he doesn’t suffer from whip-lash or such from being hit so hard. He will know this evening. You are going to love getting a picture of those folks wearing the hats you made for them. By then you will have gotten over the being tired of seeing them. I think all our grandmothers had the same shoe maker. They were in and out of the house so much back then they needed sturdy shoes. Ready for the occasion. I know of Grandmas back then kept a small pistol in their apron pocket to be ready to shoot snakes and such that got in the hen house or other varmints that came around. I have a very small pistol that would fit in an apron pocket nicely.

JEAN What is that meeting expected to decide? Sounds like you have your day planned to be a "busy" one. That is good to be busy. I feel so fortunate to have grown up in CA where we had access to so many nice fruits and veggies during my childhood. I didn't realize that folks all over this USofA didn't all have the same choices we did. My grandparents provided us with many of the fruits and veggies we consumed. Beef and pork when they butchered. I did find it very funny as a child learning that folks "out east" grew their geranimus in pots inside the houses where ours were outside in the flower garden growing huge.

SUSAN If we all lived closer to each other I would love to be the hostess and have y'all over and feed you a nice WW friendly meal. Yep It is just as easy for me to cook for a crowd as for two. Well really, it is easier to cook for a crowd. I love to entertain. My huge oak table would hold all of us nicely sitting around it and not being a bit crowded. So you see, y'all come. What fun we would have. Casper loves you and wants to be near you. He will probably be easy to train. Cecil has gotten big now and can jump high but has not as of yet gotten on the kitchen counters. I keep the dishes put up and such but there are things on that counter that would look good on the floor to a cat for sure. But I also have a spray bottle handy. You will get Casper to realize what is off bounds and there is more on bounds then off. It is super of Glory to cat sit while you are teaching at the quillting retreat. Have a great time there and we will see you back here on the thread on Monday.

It is now after 1 o'clock and time for me to think about getting some lunch. A nice glass of iced tea sounds good. I think I will brew up some tea and make some. Type at y'all later.

Back for an update: The gal at the museum, that has a scanner like our new one, told Will that my problem with the scanner was that I was following the instructions which are all "messed up." She showed Will how to really use it and it works fine. So now I am in for being showed how it really is to be worked.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-19-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #30  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 53ºs and partly cloudy this sunny Friday and I feel a bit chilly. My plan this day is to cook some ribs in my pressure smoker. I will rub them down with seasonings and then cook them for the required amount of time to be ready for dinner. I think this evening we will have corn on the cob, tossed green salad, and baked beans along with the smoked ribs. I would love to have all y’all come to dinner. The Schwan’s man came this morning and gave us a coupon booklet which I will surely be using. For instance if I order on line the chicken breast filets that we like we will get $5 off and if we wait to order them when he comes at the door they will be $2.50 off. So you best bet your baby booties that I will be ordering on line for there are many of the items that we use that are discounted that way. They are celebrating 60 years in service and giving their customers great deals. I like a good deal.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Type at y’all later.

It's later and I am back wondering where all of you are? I know where Susan is but not the rest. I have all the peppers and such Will brought in and chopped up and in the freezer. I love having the bells and onions all chopped when I want to make baked beans for it sure makes it easier. I also have the rack of ribs all cut apart and sprinkled with my choice of spices and waiting in the fridge for the time I put them in the pressrure smoker later this day.

Hope to see someone post this day. Yack at ya later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.