3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias -- #9 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/255446-steel-magnolias-9-a.html)

Jean 03-23-2012 11:08 AM

Steel Magnolias -- #9

Good Morning, Flowers! We have a very foggy morning, but the weatherman says the sun will shine this afternoon. :cheer: I'm ready after several gloomy days. Bob is taking the day "off" and working on his plow this morning. There is going to be a plowing bee whenever it dries up enough and he has been invited. He's excited! :lol: We're going to Sioux City this afternoon to do some birthday shopping for Kolby and Zowie as well as Easter basket clothes. I'm thinking WM gift cards instead of cheap junk toys for baskets. The kids can do their own shopping! We offered to cook supper so will meet Beth and family after work.

"Gma" -- It is good to see you "up and at 'em" this morning! :cp: :congrat: on losing another 2#s! I know that being in the hospital one loses track of time and it's like being in another world. Hopefully you will feel back to normal soon. I have to chuckle when you talk about cleaning! You are our :queen: of clean for sure! Just don't overdo in your effort to get everything done.

I need to get going! Hope you all have a FANTASTIC Friday and enjoy! :wave:

Maggie 03-23-2012 12:52 PM

Finally Friendly Friday

:wave: GOOD LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS :comp:

It is currently 55º’s here in the ♥-Land with the high to be 66º’s with the sun shining brightly. While the wind isn’t blowing Will is gone to get some chemicals to kill some of the little weeds that are just starting to grow. They are the kind that make stickers that get in the dogs feet so we battle them every year. Battle the stickers that is. Each year though the patch of them has been smaller so progress is being made on eradicating them from the back lawn.

I sure didn’t sleep well last night. I slept for 4 hours then woke up for 2 hours then slept for 2 more hours so I got a total of 6 hours of sleep. I was feeling fine and had nothing on my mind that would keep me up so I don’t really know what it was. I was doing a lot of sheep counting. I have been watching it and not having a latte too close to bed time. Since I have never been a nap per maybe I can get some good sleep tonight. Cecil does purr when he naps so he is a nap purr.

I think we will have lasagna for dinner. I ordered the two serving pans of it from Schwan’s which are so good ~ méatier and cheesier than grocery store brands. We just have a serving from the 2 serving container and the rest of a big pan isn’t calling our name. These small ones can be cooked in the microwave or in an oven. I am out of the salad mix I like so that means when Will goes to the store today he will pick me up a bag.

DONNA FAYE I imagine your new outfits are lovely and you will enjoy wearing them. It is so nice to find outfits that really fit nicely and suit your taste. What fun you will have knowing how well you will be looking in your new duds. How nice now you can sleep in your own bed and not have to be downstairs in the recliner. There is just something about one’s own bed and how you get a better nights rest in it. That stuff that they use to put you under during an operation can do a number on folks for awhile after their operation. Hopefully your symptoms will subside and go away soon. :bravo: another 2 down ~ that is great and you are certainly headed in the right direction. :cp:

JEAN What fun Bob will be having at that plowing bee. I had forgotten they had those there. Yikes ~ Easter all ready. :egg: Seems like it wasn't too long ago I was counting points+ for some small chocolate eggs. I think this year I am going to order some real good chocolate ones from Sees candies to give as gifts. They make large ones that have pretty decorations on them and can be sliced for a family. Looks like I need to get my order in soon if that is to be done.

Have a lovel afternoon - evening Magnolias. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean 03-23-2012 09:47 PM

Maggie -- We have a sad looking yard! Our trees are huge and the grass doesn't grow around them evenly. The guy "in the know" said it is because of 2 things: the roots go out so far and soak up the water first and there is too much shade for the sun light to get to the grass. Also this used to be poor farm land that was too sandy, so they sold the land and built houses. We can grow all kinds of weeds. :( I hope you sleep better tonight; I hate those sleepless in-between nights! I haven't bought any Easter candy yet. Wish I could wait until after as WM always has lots of leftovers at cheaper prices. I am tired tonight so think I will read for a bit and call it a night. I ate too much supper (clams) and have been un-comfortable all evening. DUMB on my part! :yes: I hope to see you all tomorrow! :wave:

Jean 03-24-2012 12:31 PM

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, NO wind, and it's supposed to hit 77 this afternoon. I am REALLY being lazy this morning! Putting a load of wash in the washer, getting dressed, and reading the paper is the sum total of my effort so far today. Bob is out puttering with the rider lawn mower and I noticed he put the snow blower away. He may be sorry! :lol:

I have pork chops to grill for lunch but need to fix a salad to go with them. I hope you all have a great Saturday and enjoy whatever you are doing today! :wave:

Maggie 03-24-2012 02:58 PM

Simply Sunny Saturday

:wave: GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :comp:

Well folks today is such a lovely day in this ♥-Land of this great US of A in the 70º’s and clear and sunny. Plus there is ~ no wind. No wind. :yay: But the wind is predicted to come back with force tomorrow. OH ~ I slept better last night for I only woke up once @4 when the dogs heard something to alarm at. Something creeping in the night no doubt.

Not much at all happening here this day. So far I have read the news and my e-mail and put around with things on the top of my desk trying to get it back to being organized. My in-box is a disaster so that was my morning challenge. This is strip the bed and wash the sheets day. I strip it when we do that and let it air out all day and then make the bed before retiring at night. That way the mattress gets a chance to breathe.

For lunch this day I had half a sandwich and a cup of veggie soup which was very filling. Dinner will be something simple also. Saturday doesn’t get the same treatment as days during the week do in the menu planning. This may be a mac and cheese night with cut up hot dogs in it. Those all beef dogs are good for that. I should just plan on that for I have the points for it. And if something else comes up :cp: that can be put off for another day.

JEAN Grilled pork chops are so good. Enjoy. Isn't it nice to be having spring type weather at last. Hopefully Bob won't have to get the snow-blower out again. :crossed:

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean 03-24-2012 09:38 PM

Maggie -- We had a nice warm day here although I don't think it hit 80. The slight breeze did appear this afternoon. The partying back yard neighbors were home with "friends" and they sat in the yard rather than on their deck. The lady of the house had on her bathing suit . . . not a pretty picture by any means. Jason says she looks like a beached whale. :lol: I continued with my lazy day and watched Animal Planet this afternoon; it was all about cats at first and then switched to pets. One in particular was a house with 2 dogs, a big lab type and a smaller beagle dog. They also had a cat and the big dog liked to eat the cat's food. When they would scold him, he would squint his eyes and smile with his teeth showing. He was so funny. I do have more laundry finished, folded, and put away so I did accomplish something. Bob is singing at church tomorrow so he will most likely have to stay through 2nd service. Other than church nothing is on the planning board for tomorrow. I should clean some kitchen cupboards and drawers, but have to be in the mood to do that. My grandma always said Sunday was a day of rest and I agree! :yes: Guess I will go watch basketball with Bob before I call it a night. See you tomorrow! :wave:

gma22 03-25-2012 12:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Good morning girls. I would have sworn I posted when Jean started a new thread, but I don't see it so it is out there zooming cyberspace I guess. I was really sick all night last night and didn't fall asleep until ten til 5 this morning. I got up and fed Fortune and slept fitfully until Jack came down at 8. I am finding I need more recoup time before going back into the bed. Since my stuff isn't healed totally I can't sleep anyway but on my back and everything I did absolutely didn't work so I gave up around 10:30 PM and came back downstairs to sleep. Mainly, my intestines were causing me fits and I had a horrible backache again. I think it is just the intestines trying to acclamate themselves again, but I didn't want to take a pain pill so I suffered all night. I gave up and took one this morning so I could make dog food and bag it up and then clean up the mess. My house is still a total pig pit, but I am going to start working on it bit by bit this week to get it back to normal.

I thought I would give you a peek at the dresses I bought. I have a shaper to wear with them to smooth me all out, but can't put it on until after all my healing is done and such so don't want to "model" them without it on as it looks so much nicer. Anyhow, the dresses are all long, the green, orange, black one, I have great big chunky tiger eye jewelry to wear with it and bright green sandals that match the green in the dress and I am going to wear a black short sleeved sweater with it, the black and white swirly hearts it is the sleeveless dress also not all of the pieces of clothing in the pic, I have white dress sandals, white short sleeved or black short sleeved crocheted sweater and black jewelry and black sandals, the blue dress I will wear the white sweater and I have to buy jewelry for it and probably will wear the white sandals with it and the solid navy dress I am wearing big silver jewelry, navy dress opened toed sandals/shoes, my knitted wrap. The Navy dress and probably the black and white one are for the formal nights.

Jean: Grilled pork chops sound yummy. We need to clean our grill and get it up and going for spring and summer. I love having meat and veggies grilled outside. I noticed that darn squirrel chewed holes in my deck umbrella so it is going to have to go to the garbage. Ahh well. We have had really warm almost hot weather here. Almost everyday it gets into the 80's already. My tree has started popping out leaves and it won't be long and everything will be covered in sticky sap again. One of the popular things to do here around trees is to build a half to foot tall brick circle around the tree and put in potting soil and plant flowers or hostus (sp) etc around the tree. The houses that do it look really pretty I think. Some just put stones or cedar chips in the brick circle and that looks nice too.

Maggie: Another thing to put in mac and cheese is cubed ham or finely diced turkey sausage. I am a real lover of homemade mac and cheese and I like the baked style. I watch a program from Britain on late at night called "Two Fat Ladies." Usually their stuff is kind of kooky, though I imagine Brits would love it, but I just love the two of them. They are older ladies that travel place to place on a motorcycle with a sidecar. Keep an eye out for it, it is on the cooking channel and if you are up late on Saturday nights watch it is sometime.

Well, I am going to sit and read or knit or something now that I have the dog food made. The meds make me sleepy of course, but I am going to fight taking a nap and turn in early I think. You all have a lovely Sunday. Faye

Jean 03-25-2012 01:12 PM

Good Morning, Flowers! I drove to church in sunshine and no coat. An hour later came out to "cold," fog, and wind. So much for our nice day. I stopped at the grocery store for bread and milk on the way home; think we will grill steaks when Bob gets home from church.

"Gma" -- It's great to see you here today! I'm sorry you had a tough night and hope that you catch a nap today, as well as feel better each day. I don't know why but I've been waking up and then can't get back to sleep. Makes me :crazy: ! I love your dresses! You will definitely be sailing in style! :dance: What is the channel that broadcasts "Two Fat Ladies?" I think I would like it! :lol:

I need to change clothes and get my potatoes in the oven. Enjoy the rest of your day -- hope the sun is shining on you! :wave:

QuilterInVA 03-25-2012 01:28 PM

Good afternoon, ladies! 59 degrees and foggy still this afternoon.

Wednesday I had Applique Bee at the library, Thursday was Glory's birthday tea (we had so much fun), Friday was English Paper Piecing, yesterday was WW and then Sandy and I went to a play - Xanadu - last night. So I have been busy. Didn't even turn the computer on for 3 days!

Faye, your dress are lovely. I'm sorry you're still not back to exact. Two Fat Ladies is very old - they have both been dead for several years. It was made about 30 years ago.

Jean, Two Fat Ladies is on the Cooking Channel (not Food Network). My back yard is sans grass because of the pine trees. The front is better. I put decorative bricks around my Crepe Myrtle and planted Oxalys. It looks very nice.

Maggie, maybe you could get one of those children's size easy chairs for Cecil. One spoiled cat! I see the Pioneer Wife has a cookbook on the best seller list now.

I need to get busy and do some housework since I have been running so much! Have a wonderful day.

Maggie 03-25-2012 06:22 PM

Simply Sunny Sunday

:wave:GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :comp:

It is a very beautiful sunny 77º day here in the ♥-land and we are certainly enjoying it. We went out to Whisky Creek for lunch and I had my favorite grilled shrimp and baked sweet potato and tossed green salad w/o dressing. Tonight we are going to Applebee’s and I will choose one of their good tasting WW friendly entrees. I will stay within my points+ allowance and hope for a good showing at the scale in the morning.

Tomorrow we get to go to the dentist and get our teeth cleaned then a hair cut right afterward. All ready to go on our mini vacation get away on Friday for we will be coming back on Monday. Just a quick trip really to take our friends some things down there in Texas. We will take a longer trip after Labor Day probably to New Mexico or Arizona, but we haven’t totally decided yet. Arizona has a place called Showlow or something like that ~ that is up in the mountains that we went to once and want to go back and explore it some more. We have plenty of time yet to plan where and what we want to do.

Today is a lazy day and the animals are happy with their new “chews.”

JEAN Did you buy any special kind of bread today? There are some good high fiber breads carried here now that we really like. Grilled steaks, YUM.

SUSAN I got a good chuckle about buying Cecil a little chair ~ yep he is one spoiled cat. He loves to lay across all that he can reach on Will's desk & I absolutely don't allow him up on mine. :p He learned to stay off my desk real quick. Good that you were out and about having fun with your friends.

DONNA FAYE I have several good baked Mac & Cheese recipes that I have tried and we like which are points+ friendly. I have one that is called Southwestern Skillet Macaroni & Cheese that is a WW one and really good that we also like to make when camping since it works well over a campfire or in a dutch oven. I know you will be joyful when you are finally able to sleep in your bed and get a full nights sleep. :hug: Just getting to that point is a pain isn't it but you will get there my friend. I love those dresses, you will be stilin' for sure all decked out in them. Just though you would like to know that the Red Buds are blooming around here. Absolutely beautiful lavender flowers.:p I remember the first time I ever saw any was in TN along the highway and we asked a trucker over out radio what those beautiful purple flowered trees were and he said "Red Buds." We said no the pruple ones ~ we got a lesson on that one. When they bud they are red but when the buds open the flowers are lavender. Now we know. That trucker got a kick out of our curiosity.

You wonderful Magnolias have a lovely afternoon/evening. :wave:

Jean 03-25-2012 09:34 PM

Susan -- It's great to see your post tonight! :cp: You have been a busy on-the-go gal! I don't get the Food Channel, or at least I don't think we do. I'll have to scroll through the guide and take a look. Thanks for the heads up. :yes: What's on your agenda for next week?

Maggie -- Alas, we only have one grocery store open on Sunday (besides WM, and I wouldn't go there on a Sunday for anything), and the bread selection is pretty slim. I ended up with Sara Lee whole wheat white bread. I have a feeling the birds will be getting it at the end of the week. :) Ernie stretched out on my lap for a snooze this afternoon and started snoring. :lol: Sometimes he will wheeze like he has asthma. He was dead to the world and I finally had to get up because my legs went to sleep.

I have ironing to do so guess I'll check and see what's on tv to watch while I do that chore. See you tomorrow! :wave:

gma22 03-26-2012 09:26 AM

Good morning to you all! I am going to try and get a couple rooms done today so I feel like I am on my way to getting my house cleaned again. I think I pulled a muscle or something in my left lower abdomen because it is pretty sore and I did it just sitting down. So I have to take it easy and if it is still bothering me tomorrow, I will mention it to the doctor.

This morning was weigh in and I am down 10 lbs since I went into the hospital and 3 lbs since my weigh in last week. If I can get another 50 off before vacation, I will be happy with that.

When Susan said the ladies had been dead several years and the show was old, I looked it up and actually the show was filmed from 1996-1999 and was stopped because Jennifer Patterson, who was the lady that wore the glasses passed away in August of '99 from cancer. She was a chain smoker pretty much and imbibbed quite a bit too, I guess. Anyway, she was diagnosed in July and died the next month. Clarrissa, is 64 and still alive. She was the first licensed female barrister in England and when she finished that career went into some kind of housekeeping business, bored with that and started cooking, which she says she loves. Their show isn't for the faint of heart as they always cooked with heavy spices, fatty foods, etc, but I enjoy watching the show just to see what stuff they are cooking, where they are traveling to do it and just the hilarity of two old ladies on a motorcycle and sidecar.

Jean: Fortune coughs now, so I imagine his little heart is winding down as I hear that is an indication. He wheezes too and for a few years now has been breathing through his mouth so his tongue sticks out when he sleeps and he looks like he is dead. It can be scary at times to see him all laid out like that! :lol: We have commissary shopping this weekend, which you know I love so much and on top of it, I can't carry or pick up the bags so it is going to all be on poor Jack. He usually carries in stuff and sits it on the floor and I pick it up and put it on the counter and put stuff away, but he is going to have to rearrange how he does it I guess. He was funny yesterday, He sat for an hour at the computer and watched our ship and waited for it to pull out of port. The Port Terminal has a live webcam and the ship, left almost an hour late. The webcam is so good he said you can see the people on the decks waving to the people down on the pier.

Susan: Looks like you have been one busy lady again. Fortune has this huge fluffy pillow in front of the tv entertainment center, but always seems to prefer my throw pillows on my couch to sleep on. He has a favorite one that he sleeps on so much it looks like the air has been let out of it. :lol:

Maggie: How did the ribs come out? We are going to have loin chops tonight. I bread them and fry them in just a bit of margarine and they stay really nice and moist that way.

I guess I better eat some breakfast and then get to work. You all have a nice start to your week. Faye

Maggie 03-26-2012 12:02 PM

Marvelous Monday

:wave: GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :comp:

Today is a windy day and expected to get up to 83º’s. It is going to be a long hot summer for again we didn’t get any nice spring weather. :no:

We both get to get our teeth cleaned then go get our hair cut today. Busy day but fun filled. I do so need a haircut. After the WW center opens this evening I will need to buy a 3 month tracker booklet for this is the last week in which I currently write what I bite. I have to write what I bite and would be drifting if I don’t have a booklet to take along on our few days away. I could write it all on paper but I would rather have a booklet. :yes:

I showed a “maintain” at weigh in this day and that is fine with me. :D It is how I lose weight ~ lose a week then go into a holding pattern for a week then lose again. It is a very slow :snail: process for me and that is how it goes. Since it is such a slow process for me I try my best not to get discouraged down this road to thin. It would be so easy to just say, “What’s the use!” I love the little “Shot In the Arm” booklet for it helps to read in it on occasion for it gives me a dose of motivation.

That Beanie is a scoundrel. Yesterday we got both the dogs a new knotted at the ends rawhide chew that has beef flavor infused in it and Beanie has stashed his and lays and watches Ragg Mopp chewing on his and then if Ragg Mopp drops his and leaves it for a second Beanie has pounced on it and has taken it away. Then the tussel begins and Ragg Mopp gets his bone back and it starts all over. I had enough and told Beanie to get his own bone and he went outside and came back in with it. They are both quietly chewing on their bones at the present. They have turned it into a game for when they are after the same bone their tails are both wagging so hard they wag the dog. :D

DONNA FAYE :congrat: on your marvelous weight loss. I will be rooting for you to lose that 50 off before your vacation. :cp: You go girlfriend. Your pork chops sound great cooked that way. I usually spray mine and then roll them in lemon pepper Panko and bake them or spay a pan and fry them. OOO the ribs turned out so tender and yummy. We had them with fresh pineapple spears and a tossed green salad. That "electric indoor pressure smoker" has become my most favorite appliance. So easy to use and clean up is a snap. I used hickory chips for the smoke for they go well with pork. I have had a handy chart for years that gives the type of chips that go well with different kinds of meat. It is a good thing to know which chips to use. Will has some chunks of different types of wood for the outdoor smoker.

Have a lovely day Magnolias. I need to get some work done before heading out for the day's appointments. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Jean 03-26-2012 01:04 PM

Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is blowing hard, it's cloudy and gloomy, with much cooler temperatures today. I spent extra time at church this morning. We balanced on the first try, but there were lots of chatty people in and out of the office this morning. I'll pick up the gift shop money after lunch and get that done.

"Gma" -- :congrat: on 13#s that are gone forever! With your determination you will eliminate the next 50 in no time. :yes: When I had surgery years ago, I had a catch/pain/stitch in my side. The doctor said that sometimes when they sew insides together, they will get the edge of the next muscle caught. I hope yours will go away, mine did eventually. What fun to be able to watch your ship come and go! You will get your cleaning chores caught up as time goes along, so don't fret. ;)

Maggie -- :congrat: on a maintain this week. Remember that is better than a gain any day. :yes: I'll bet you both look spiffy with squeaky clean teeth and new haircuts! I'll bet if RM could talk he would give Beanie "what for!" :lol: What fun to watch them!

I need to write a church birthday card and get it in the mailbox so better scoot. I didn't realize how close to lunch time it is and Bob should be home soon. Have a marvelous Monday and enjoy! :wave:

Maggie 03-26-2012 06:43 PM

Back To Yack

:comp: GOOD LATE AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We just got back from our running around today and it is almost dinner time but we are not hungry for we ate a very late lunch. I got a good report from the dentist and have an appointment set up for October for my next check up and cleaning. We were only a few minutes late for out hair appointments but Roxie said it was fine and we told her we just came from the dentist. She asked which one and it happens to be the one she goes to and her sis in law is a heigenist there and may be the one we love to have our teeth cleaned by. Small world. Roxie cut my hair into a spikey do. Will & I both like it so that is a good cut.

I get such a charge out of that dentist for he said he likes to talk to me and we got to talking about traveling today and he said he wants his wife and him to go with us sometime. I have the feeling he is thinking of retirement for he has a son that is going to "join" the practice there this summer. He has 3 sons and two are dentists and the other is a General Practice doctor. His one daughter and she is the chief assistant to a movie maker and didn't want to go into the medical field. He said he is fine with that with a big grin. :D Anyway I really like yacking with him. Will does also for the doc has some of the same interests he does. He has some guns like some of the ones at the museum. The dentist gave Will some more of those picks that he uses to help in cleaning those old guns with like he gave me for my glass work. When we get our plans set for our fall vacation I will let him know where and what we are planning to do and if they want to join us they are welcome to come along.

JEAN It is windy here also but up in the 80's. Chatty folks can be sometimes fun don't ya think. I am sure glad that the dogs and cat all get along and when they growel and meow their tails wag to beat the band. They are like kids on a playground having fun.

Catch y'all later. :wave: