3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups

Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #106

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

No time to post today but had to send this information along.
There is nothing we can do at this time, just prayers if you do that thing and good wishes. I am going to try to get Jens phone number next time I write so that I can talk to her and see what needs to be done for Mel.

i couldn't sleep and it's mom's first night home.
i don't even know where to begin.
the doctor as you know sent her home from the er.
the next 2 days they were frantically trying to reach her
and there was mom sitting in a codeine coma for crissakes not hearing the answering machine.

i found the messages and called the hospital and our new insurance back.
someone made an error reading the exrays and mom did have pneumonia.
we rushed a very sick woman back to the er and they admitted her last wednesday
the pneumonia is in both lungs, upper and lower lobes.
not the worst it can be for a normal person but for her it was too much to fight.

the sad part (in a way) is she is making such a miracle recovery that these @ss holes sent her home. i tried to fight them but the hospital board agreed she could recouperate better at home. the only part i agree with is the hospital is becoming infested with flu victims!! they are afraid if they keep her there she could possibly get even sicker. richie said they should have thought of that when they misread the exrays and she did get sicker.
maybe it's for the best but i am nervous. mom says the worst that can happen is she ends up back there with people who said there was nothing wrong with her in the first place.

in a funny way i am feeling she is safer here. plus i can see her more too. richie is on and off work. it's the slow season still. so i don't always have the car.
the mayor is on the hospital board and is furious. he's been calling everyone abouth the hospital making a mess of all of this and with someone who could have died as a result. i don't even want to think what would happened if i didn't hear the answering machine and find the messages.

i will try to be a better letter writer. i keep forgetting when i panic that we have "family" outside of weehawken. mom's fist thoughts where of you when she rolled in. not even an i'm glad to be home but did you write joy & carol!!!!

she is short winded still. no fever
the lungs are going to take a long time to heal.
they have given her a pump for that.
she'll be on antibiotics and other meds for awhile. no visitors or excitement till the end of the month. no exposure to sick people so we have made a no visitors sign for the door. the doctor said it's the only way to be sure she gets a chance to heal. every doctor she had said the same thing. they told her a 100 times that the pneumonia is still present and readable in her last exrays.

right now it's the pneumonia taking the number one slot. but there is more.
they found a small nodule in her right lung and will be following up on that every 3 months. she is also bleeding vaginally again and might need the d&c. she has to find a ob-gyne before the end of february. but this doctor said NOT until she is recovered. they said by the tests pictures they can see she has endrometriosis.

i can't even think of this right now. mom says one foot at a time and to worry about it one thing at a time. i know she is right but you all know how i feel.

but here's a funny for you. the doctors service who picked up the call for a lowpaying insusrance person was our old doctors!!! he has associates and he still does house calls. we will find out more later if they will be together again at long last. we both were cracking up. ironic huh? she only saw the 2 associate women.

i think i can sleep now. will be in touch. mom and i have learned how to communicate suing hands and one word!!!! ha!

Have a good day - all of you.

Last edited by Shad; 01-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #107

Shad, thanks so much for posting Jen's message!! It's so horrifying that the hospital made that mistake and sent Mel home when she was so sick! And to not try harder to reach a live person to inform her of the mistake!!! It makes me so angry about how inept they handled this!! But now that she is now into recovery mode, I have to say that I feel better having her do it outside of the hospital where Mel can recover from the pneumonia and not pick up some other nasty bug.

Mel, I know you're probably not seeing our posts right now, but just know I'm sending prayers and healing thoughts your way! May all those meds, the quiet and no visitors make a healthy, healing environment for you.

Last edited by Laura705; 01-18-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #108
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning ladies,

Just read Shad / Jen's post about Mel with my mouth open in shock and disgust. Her situation is what is wrong with this country and society. I sort of agree that being in a hospital with other sick people and minimal care has got to be worse for someone with compromised health.

My thoughts and prayers are with you also Mel. Thank God you are a fighter. Strength to Jen also.

It's bitterly cold here for the next week or so. Going to hunker down, do some cooking and things around the house. Will be back later.

happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #109
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Shad - Thank you so much for sharing Jen's message.

That just p*sses me off that they made a mistake and sent Mel home when she was so sick! And then didn't follow up with an emergency contact person when they couldn't reach her for 2 days!! The pneumonia sounds so entrenched...both lobes of both lungs. It will take awhile for the lungs to heal. Poor Mel. Not good, especially when combined with the nodule and stuff down below. I've been so worried about Mel since she first mentioned the hospital...and thinking that something was seriously wrong. I'm so sorry to hear that I was right. I am glad that she's home where she can rest more comfortably and not be exposed to all the sick people. Reading that in Jen's message reminded me of the times when my doctor wanted to put me in the hospital for acute bronchitis so I could have IV antibiotics and be on oxygen...but it wasn't worth the risk of exposing me to the other patients' germs.

Mel - I know you're resting and not on the computer...but my prayers and thoughts are with you. Get lots of rest, and follow doctor's orders. And even if you start to feel a little better...DO NOT OVERDO IT!! Much love and may get well hugs to you.

Say it... shout it... believe it... "I AM GOING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!"...then DO IT!

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there." ~ Edwin Louis Cole

Starting weight: 245
Lap RNY 11/19/2014: 215.5 surgery weight

My Mini Goals:
1) Consume less than 120 grams of carbs, 30 grams of sugar and 1,100 net calories (factoring in exercise) 2) Exercise 6 days per week at least 45 minutes per day
3) Follow the Bariatric surgery eating plan
4) Make the most of each moment
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #110

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Haven't heard back from Jen, however I think it will be okay for you to send her e-mails wishing her a speedy recovery. Jen can then read them to her as she sees fit. Any info I get, I will pass on.

Back home again and will be in the office for the next couple of weeks, then off again for a period of time although it looks like I will be home at weekends. I may change that depending on how things pan out in the first week or two. Maybe spend a weekend fossicking for sapphire down the road a bit.

Thats about it for the moment. I will check frequently for emails and let you know asap.

Better get back to the grindstone here.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #111
gettin' with the plan

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Shad
Thanks again for the information about Mel from Jen.

Happy
Sounds like their is a lot of wildlife. I would love to see chickadee's and a partridge.
Also glad that you did get the freezer and it's stocked with some goodies. You never know when you may need it.

Laura
I need to start drinking the green tea. It's suppposed to be good to help raise the good cholesterol.

Annie
It would be nice to have your own hairdresser. The pizza sounds good also.

Michelle
Di you get the reports going?

-----
It was cold this morning at 25 degree's, but supposed to warm back up over the week end.
Took off today from work. I used a floating holiday. I was called to come pick up my W2 at work today. May take this to H & R Block tomorrow.
My neighbor has been letting her son use her vehicle so I've been helping her run some errands. So much for my day off.
Also got my hair cut.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #112
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

OMG..MELLIE...girl, I didn't have a very good feeling about your situation and was worrying and praying for you.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay away from the office and the seniors..your health cannot take it. We love you too much to give your last breath to that place...Don't make me come there and whoop up on you with the rolling pin, which I have a wooden one I use regularly and travels well....get it??

Shad...thank you girl for sharing the information....

I haven't much to report other than I ordered a bathingsuit from Tommy Bahama's for my Florida vacay with my sweet adorable man...don't puke girls...lol. We are going the 3rd week in March....

Please stay healthy girls and think about what you are doing with yourselves....take alllllllll of your vitimans and stay away from the sickies...sickos....all of the above....

Loves and hugs

HEALTHY, HAPPY, GRATEFUL, BLESSED!!

Lap RNY 2/12/07

annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #113
Creating a Healthier Me

I can't remember if I told y'all that I didn't get the job I applied for. I guess my Ecommerce experience was too long ago (as I couldn't fess up to doing websites on the side for the past umpteen years).

And with the re-org/restructure, they're going to be phasing out the centralized report development team within the next month, so I'll be brushing up my Java programming skills and go back to doing that. I'm okay with that. I don't mind doing Java programming....I wish I had more time to refresh my skills, but whatever. As long as I don't have to work through the middle of the night and on weekends, I'm cool with it.

Anyway, I've got many reports to finish before they dismantle the team, and today is our IS-Holiday party (to celebrate surviving the holiday season with all systems intact). And after that, my co-workers and I are meeting our former manager for a brief happy hour. I won't have more than one beer because I still have to drive.

Tomorrow should be tons of fun (NOT!). We're supposed to get 3" to 6" of snow, and even though I am working from home, I still have to leave the house to take Mischief for another blood test, and then come back home to work in the evening.

I hope you all are doing well! Annie, I'm jealous of your Florida vacay! Mel, I hope you're resting and recuperating.

Love and hugs,

Say it... shout it... believe it... "I AM GOING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!"...then DO IT!

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there." ~ Edwin Louis Cole

My Mini Goals:
1) Consume less than 120 grams of carbs, 30 grams of sugar and 1,100 net calories (factoring in exercise) 2) Exercise 6 days per week at least 45 minutes per day
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #114
Choose your hard

Good frosty morning ladies,

It is -16 (F) here right now. Brrrrrrrrrr. The house is creaking something fierce and there is very little wind out (thank goodness). I was going to go to the library to pick up my videos but I think I'll wait until it "warms" up tomorrow. I'll bet the cars will be rough starting even sitting in the garage. I shudder to think what is going on inside of some of those packing boxes in the unheated garages. DH was going to go ice fishing with my cousin tomorrow but S called it off due to the cold. Even with a propane heater, a plastic ice shanty doesn't keep you very warm. Too bad because I was hoping to make some headway in the garage. With the SUV and the ATV and the snow plow, there's not much room to manuever in the garage. He would have taken that all fishing which would have given me some room to shift boxes. It's too cold to work in the garage but at least I could have moved things around a bit. I'm planning on just staying inside today. I started sorting some papers out and the dining room table is a mess. Picked up a chicken to make some soup - will do that too as well as empty 2 boxes that have been sitting in the living room for 2 weeks. I sort of lost my gumption here and I don't want to fall into some lazy habits.

Annie - how nice that you have a vacation planned and something to look forward to. Will it be nice enough in March to wear a bathing suit on the beach or is that for the indoor pool? You have enough time and good motivation to get bathing beauty ready. How fun!

Ceejay - nice of you to help out your neighbor but it doesn't sound like you got alot out of your precious day off. I will try and get a picture of the chickadee for you. He's a very busy little fellow.

Shad - thank you for the updates on Mel, I think it's better if Jen just channel all the correspondence through one person - you. So it sounds as if you popped off just to do a short training session. Hardly seems worth the trip although I'll bet that short hops are preferrable to long stints at a mining camp.

I'm not so sure we will get much into the actual garden this year. We have a short growning season and alot of work to do in order to get the fence up, the grass out and the new raised beds in. Add that to a short growning season and I'm not sure I will get more than some herbs and tomatoes in containers this year. It might have been better if we moved here early September instead of mid-November. We have a herd and I say that because I think you can rightly call 7 to 10 deer at once a herd that favor the back part of the house and come right through what will be my garden area. I have to tell DH to move the corn over out of the path but he just jury-rigged some lighting so he can watch them out the window and catch them on the web cam so don't know how ammenable he will be to moving things.

Laura - if you can remember, which seed places did you prefer? I was going to look at the obvious one - Burpees but I've been seeing advertisements in the Sunday paper in the coupon sections for other places. Thanks for the book reviews. I think I was going to watch the movie "The Lovely Bones" but never got around to doing so. Did you get icy weather yesterday?

Michelle - is the house quiet without DMIL around? Did she cook for you when you were at work? Was that December procedure successful for you? Hope you don't get socked with a big snow today - will make for a lousy commute home and lots of work once you get there

I got up a little earlier today. Best get dressed and get something accomplished other than sitting at the computer until lunch time. I don't get paid to do that anymore Later ladies...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #115
gettin' with the plan

Annie
Just took my vitamin. You are so lucky to get to go to Florida.
I'm concerned about Mel too.

------
Nothing new this morning. Weighed in at 196.6 Pooh a gain of 3 pounds. The news of Hostess triggered a binge. What can I say I'm weak.
Road the bike for 20 minutes last night while watching the Biggest Loser on the internet.
I need to get off the computer and pick up the clutter in the house.
Every one have a good day. I'm enjoying my extra day off this week--another 4 day week end. I could get used to to this.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #116
Choose your hard

Michelle- just saw your post - I'm so sorry you didn't get the job So why are they breaking up the group? Seems like companies do that - have independent teams all doing the same thing concurrently - then they decide to consolidate that to save money. Then it takes a long time to get things through the system so departments start doing stuff on their own on the side so they break up the groups again and over and over. It's unfortunate that you could not use your side work as support for your current experience. At our place I was surprised at how open people were about admitting that they did work on the side. Everyone always commented that "as long as it's not interferring with my day job" and we'd snicker because you couldn't help but notice that some of these guys (and it was always guys) would be constantly on their cell phones walking the halls and taking support calls from their side businesses. We had several highly paid contractors doing this too. And no one would ever say anything about it.

Anyway I hope you land on your feet with something else that isn't so hectic as what you are doing now. Enjoy the comraderie of your happy hour - one doesn't have to always drink to have fun, despite how some folks feel.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #117
gettin' with the plan

Michelle and Happy sneaked in on me.

Michelle
Be careful in the snow tomorrow. So sad to see a team being dismantled.

Happy
on that cold temperature. Stay inside and stay warm. This would be a perfect day to go through a couple of boxes. I'm with you on letting Shad do the communicating for our group.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #118

Morning all.

Annie - How nice to have a getaway to somewhere warm in March!! I'm jealous!

Shad - Sapphire hunting? Sounds interesting.

Michelle - Sorry you didn't get that job. I guess accrediting your ecommerce experience to "a hobby" wouldn't have been strong enough, and admitting to a side business would have been a dangerous thing. Hope you enjoy going back to Java programming. I hope the snowfall isn't too bad in your area tomorrow, but personally I'm hoping it doesn't reach down to my area..

Ceejay - Nice of you to help out your neighbor. Enjoy your long weekend. This is the 2nd full 5-day workweek I've put in since early December, so I'm dragging. I'm trying to tell myself that even if I could take a vacation day right now, I'd just waste it sitting around doing nothing...

Happy - I'm not a big gardening devotee, so I never did get any "specialty" seed catalogs, just the biggies - Burpee and Parks.
===
Gotta run to a meeting.
==
Back from the meeting. Nothing much to report. Pilates class last night. Tuesday night's movie was "The Artist" and we all enjoyed it a lot. It was about films going from silent to talkies, so it reminded me just a touch of "Singin' in the Rain", but The Artist really was silent for 99% of it. There was a cute little Jack Russell in the movie, so he alone was almost worth the price of the ticket, LOL.

Tonight bf and I are having dinner at Lou Malnati's w/ bf's mother. Going to continue to log my food, but it'll be another high calorie day. (Yesterday we had tacos for dinner.)

Last edited by Laura705; 01-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #119
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy Friday ladies -

Dang, I am so glad it's Friday. The IS Holiday party was fun, better than in years past because instead of it being 75% talk about the past years accomplishments and next year's goals with the remaining 25% left for fun; this year it was the other way 'round. And it was nice to get together with our former manager afterward. He really likes his new job. He apologized that the team was split up when he left, but really, we were going to be split up and put on different projects anyway...it just happened a couple weeks early. No worries. We'll all land on our feet, either within the company or some may choose to move on. Not me though...despite the occasional negatives...I still really like the company.

I guess I didn't explain why they're breaking up my team. We're moving to a new reporting software that will allow each department to create their own reports, which kind of eliminates the need for a central team (my team) dedicated to creating reports for the whole company. Well, the target launch date was early 2012. The initial plan was for us to be the "Subject Matter Experts" for this new software...that changed. And while no one has come out and said it...I guess they (directors and above) budgeted very little money for the central reporting team. There may be "reporting" jobs on other teams throughout the company...but the opportunity for growth may be better if we stay in IS and get back on a "programming" career path. Lots of options to weigh...but I don't mind. It's much better than having no options and I'm so glad I still have a job.

I'm working from home today. Then signing off a bit early to take Mischief to the vet for another blood test. I hope the roads won't be bad from a snowstorm that's moving in. Then I've got report implementation tonight. Tomorrow I'll be taking all 3 dogs to the dog groomer.

DH is still quite sick. It seems like he's had an respiratory infection since summer. He doesn't sleep well at night because he wakes up coughing and not being able to breathe - not sleep apnea, just his lungs and bronchials get so congested. They're congested all the time, but worse at night. He went back to the doctor yesterday, and they took another x-ray. Just like our dear Mel, he has pneumonia. The doctor put him on some really strong antibiotics and told him to use the nebulizer every 6 hours. Hopefully he gets better soon.

Happy - The advantage to winter is that the cold/snow keeps you inside and allows you to focus on getting indoor things done (unpacking, sorting, decluttering, and website work - LOL). I'll be doing the latter this weekend. We have one small raised bed garden, and the rest I plant in containers (tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers). We get the Burpee and Parks seed catalogs, as well as the Brecks bulb catalogs. I just love bulbs and perennials. And we now have so many bulbs in the front and back yards and they all bloom at different times (early spring to late summer). So nice that you have a herd of deer in your yard. I would love that, but the dogs would probably scare them off. And with the fenced yard...we don't see too many larger critters except in neighbors' yards. We get mostly squirrels, bunnies and opossums. The house is quiet without DMIL around. She does cook for us occasionally. As for the December procedure, it was mostly successful. I don't have nearly as much pain when I'm sitting or driving. I'm able to walk a bit more, and I'll continue to build up that time. Standing and bending are still very bad, and sure-fire ways to get me hurting quick. But overall with the two procedures (in November/December), I'd say I've gotten roughly 75% relief, maybe more. So I'm very happy about that!

Ceejay - We all have our moments of weakness. Whether it's for Hostess or something else. Good for you for biking while watching TBL!

Shad - Sapphire hunting sounds great!! DH and I love going rock hunting/fossicking. I'm hoping my back allows me to do much more of it this spring!

Annie - How wonderful to be planning a warm romantic getaway!!

Laura - Glad you enjoyed Pilates class and the movie. Like you, I got used to short work weeks during the holidays. Too funny about the Jack Russell in the movie being worth the price of the ticket. I'm so jealous of you, bf and his mom going to Lou Malnati's. That's my favorite restaurant in Chicago! Yummm.

I should probably get back to work. Lots to get done today.

Much love and many hugs

My Mini Goals:

Last edited by diyana; 01-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #120

Morning all. Yup, I started this much much earlier, but it's still actually morning here, so I don't need to change that, LOL.

TGIF! This week has been a grind with this big project and commuting in the very cold temps. I was just in the "atrium" area of our offices where we have a seating and kitchen area and it was super cold in there! Nobody's gonna eat their lunch in there today!! Anyway, today we get the same snowstorm Michelle is going to get, and no it doesn't sound like it'll stay to the north of my area. Oh well. At least this weekend's temps will be more moderate.

Michelle - I'm sorry to hear about dh having pneumonia! Well, at least it's now been diagnosed and can be treated. I hope his lungs clear quickly and that he's soon feeling 100%. I'm glad to hear that your procedure has brought you some relief!!

I hope you land in a good spot at your company and enjoy your work, whatever it will be. In this economic climate, keeping a job is key!

Unfortunately, bf's mom had a headache yesterday, so we didn't go to Lou Malnati's last night. Maybe we'll go sometime next week. Bf and I ordered a thin crust pizza from our local place instead. I should have been strong and ordered half veggie, but nope, I didn't.

Nothing much going on this weekend. An exercise class and a couple dog walks. Miscellaneous shopping - some makeup, a wallet, and groceries. I still have to pick up the contact lenses I ordered! I'm looking forward to finding a new eye doctor in 2012 that is more conveniently located to home, and that's more modern. Our current eye doc is pretty good, but the office doesn't use computers for anything!!

Hope everyone is having or going to have a good weekend!!

Cheers!